Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E04: Jack Harlow

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

There hadn't been any this season. I thought they might have stopped, but we finally got one earlier today:

I'd never heard of JNCO. I looked them up.

In the monologue I believe Harlow made a joke about people thinking he's shorter than he is, and now this video is about him (or his character) making himself taller. Is that a coincidence?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Question for any SNL experts out there is the show completely live or is there a slight lag between certain sketches as I don’t get how Harlow can be in one sketch fully costumed and then go straight to stage looking like he’s about to perform. I know certain ones are pre recorded like the commercials or trailer sketches.

They are just that good at it.  They use the commercial breaks, pre-tapes, the musical acts, and WU to strategically break-up the live stuff.  However, sometimes it's just a mad dash from live to live.  In live theater generally, there are also highly-skilled stage assistants called "dressers" who literally help actors do quick costume changes, often just off-stage in the wings.  It wouldn't be surprising if SNL has the best of the best of those.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Harlowe, and the episode in general.

However, the gay mixologist sketch (or whatever) was just flat stupid.  Bowen Yang is too talented to be pigeon-holed into the show's weekly campy gay character showcase.  They didn't do that kind of thing with Kate and they don't do it now with Punky.  They're turning him into the Charles Nelson Reilly of the 2020's.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, JZL said:

However, the gay mixologist sketch (or whatever) was just flat stupid.  Bowen Yang is too talented to be pigeon-holed into the show's weekly campy gay character showcase.

They’re definitely putting him in a lot of the unimpressed straight man roles. I agree he’s too talented to be wasted there. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, JZL said:

However, the gay mixologist sketch (or whatever) was just flat stupid.  Bowen Yang is too talented to be pigeon-holed into the show's weekly campy gay character showcase. 

I agree he's too talented for that, but I wonder who's doing the pigeon-holing--the showrunners, or him. I have no evidence for the feeling I have, but the feeling I have is that it's always been Bowen Yang who says that Bowen Yang has to play a campy gay character. He seems (and again, this is just my feeling) to have wanted to exploit the show's-first-openly-gay-actor niche, perhaps for political reasons, perhaps because it's just a good way for him to differentiate himself quickly for career purposes. Underlying all those roles, it's Bowen Yang, the actor, saying to the audience, "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it." I salute him for that, but I believe he's capable of adding more colors to his palette, and IMO it's time that he did.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, JZL said:

They are just that good at it.  They use the commercial breaks, pre-tapes, the musical acts, and WU to strategically break-up the live stuff.  However, sometimes it's just a mad dash from live to live.  In live theater generally, there are also highly-skilled stage assistants called "dressers" who literally help actors do quick costume changes, often just off-stage in the wings.  It wouldn't be surprising if SNL has the best of the best of those.

Yes, they literally have people taking off your clothes and putting wigs on your head and all of that when you’re the host. We even saw a glimpse of it last week — at the end of the hospital sketch, a woman ran to Meghan Thee Stallion, grabbed her by the arm, and rushed her out of the room. She was in the deer sketch just moments later.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I agree he's too talented for that, but I wonder who's doing the pigeon-holing--the showrunners, or him. I have no evidence for the feeling I have, but the feeling I have is that it's always been Bowen Yang who says that Bowen Yang has to play a campy gay character. He seems (and again, this is just my feeling) to have wanted to exploit the show's-first-openly-gay-actor niche, perhaps for political reasons, perhaps because it's just a good way for him to differentiate himself quickly for career purposes. Underlying all those roles, it's Bowen Yang, the actor, saying to the audience, "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it." I salute him for that, but I believe he's capable of adding more colors to his palette, and IMO it's time that he did.

I think he's talented and has differentiated himself.  The showrunners need to start reigning him in if he's the one pushing the camp.  "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it" is OK for a while, or once in a while, but I'd rather see, "I'm here, I'm funny as hell, laugh your asses off."

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

He played an iceberg and an insect on WU, so he does have range.

No argument there.

3 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

Yes, they literally have people taking off your clothes and putting wigs on your head and all of that when you’re the host. We even saw a glimpse of it last week — at the end of the hospital sketch, a woman ran to Meghan Thee Stallion, grabbed her by the arm, and rushed her out of the room. She was in the deer sketch just moments later.

The Dresser (1983)  Great date flick from the good ole days.

49 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Who played Joker?

Wasn't it Andrew Dismukes?

At one time, if you were going to be the host and the musical guest, you had to be a huge star.  I guess that isn't the case anymore.  Nothing against Jack Harlow, who did a good job hosting.

Any questions?

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

He's not the show's first openly gay actor, although he is the first openly gay man on the show to get a great deal of publicity.

There may be a political element, but I think the main reason is that in order to get anywhere on SNL, you usually have to have one niche, and stay within that niche. Sometimes you can try a few different roles, but usually you end up in one lane.

• Useful 1
On 10/30/2022 at 2:28 PM, peeayebee said:

Didn't care for The View sketch. It's been years since I watched that show, and that was very seldom, so I don't know the two women played by Chloe and Punkie. Doesn't matter though. 

That was sortof the point.  Hardly anyone knows who the hosts of the View are besides Whoopie and Joy, because they keep getting replaced every few months or so.

I love David S. Pumpkins skit, its always funny.  Its a shame that it will never be quite like it was the first time you saw it, because now you know the ending.  Not that much different between Cellblock 666 and the Hotel of Terror, same format.

I liked the newscast on the streets during Halloween too, that was pretty funny, and the 'who will the Dems run in 2024' sketch.  Yeah, its scarry, but the Dems do have some better possibilities like Gavin Newsome.

the other sketches were meh, imo.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

That was sortof the point.  Hardly anyone knows who the hosts of the View are besides Whoopie and Joy, because they keep getting replaced every few months or so.

OK. I think a better joke would have been if two completely random women were the new cohosts. Maybe two women who were just dragged in from the street.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

For those wondering why someone as not-famous as Harlow gets to host, I checked his TikTok, and a lot of his videos get more views than the average SNL episode. I think they are making a rational decision to try to bring over the millions of viewers of people like Harlow, who may not be TV famous, but who is actually doing better than TV in the viewership game.

• Useful 3

Jack Harlow reminds me of an ex and I cannot watch or listen to him sing without wanting to throw things at my TV. That being said, I thought he was a great host and I laughed my way through the episode. Favorite skits were the Halloween newscast, the AA Pixar movie pitch (would pay to see that movie), Cell Block 666, and the movie trailer. Even without the content, that trailer was freaky. Everyone did a fantastic job with their respective parts.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Hanahope said:
On 10/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, peeayebee said:

Didn't care for The View sketch. It's been years since I watched that show, and that was very seldom, so I don't know the two women played by Chloe and Punkie. Doesn't matter though. 

That was sort of the point.  Hardly anyone knows who the hosts of the View are besides Whoopie and Joy, because they keep getting replaced every few months or so.

Sunny Hostin (Punky) has been a regular host for years, as has Sara Haines (Cloe). 

• Love 1

This was a solid enough episode to me, so much so that I had little to say about it that wasn't already said (I too liked most of the Joker sketch, was happy to see Bobby again, and thought Jack was pleasant enough). 

I just wanted to say, again, how draining these cold opens are to me when they just go into politics (and they didn't even try to make Heidi bear much resemblance to Judy Woodruff, beyond having the same haircut). Cecily was terrific, showing just why she is among the best, but literally nothing else worked for me here. I don't understand why they had a cold open in the premiere making fun of just what they proceeded to do with this sketch. 

I'm also half-convinced no one there has actually seen Herschel Walker. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I wasn't feeling them. I also only know Sara Haines from The Chase and I didn't think Chloe seemed at all like her (although perhaps her View persona is different from her Chase persona). 

I Never Saw The View, But, I Did Not Particularly Think Ego Seemed Like Whoopi Either ! How Ever, I Thought Sarah Was Great As Joy ! She Had The Voice To Me And Every Thing I Guess With Her Attitude About Every Thing ! ! 

On 10/30/2022 at 1:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cocktails

Drunk Uncle

Cellblock 666 (David S Pumpkins)

The View

Here were my highlights, thanks @Galileo908.  I thought Drunk Uncle was just GENIUS and it made me really miss the time when those aired frequently.  

I don't know what it is about that View sketch, but I thought Ego and Jack were fantastic together.  I loved that.  I prefer Fred Armisen's Joy Behar though.  I'm a big Fred fan.

I'm a Survivor superfan, but that sketch was so surreal and nonsensical that I don't even know what to say.  Survivor has nothing to do with Halloween.  I'm flummoxed.  Was it to promote Survivor's current season?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 10/29/2022 at 11:37 PM, JeanJean said:

Was that Bobby Moynihan?

YES ! By The Way, I LIKE Drunk Uncle ! Personally, I Like Drunk Uncle Better Than David S. Pumpkins ! ! 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:00 AM, vb68 said:

Man, they brought out the big guns. David S. Pumpkins and Drunk Uncle both. I think they were a little bit worried about the show otherwise.

It was bumpy, but it had some moments. I liked the Pixar Therapy Group and the line that "Skechers' trash is My Pillow's treasure" made my night.

Nice to see Tom Hanks, Bobby, and Cecily.

Disappointed Molly didn't get an Update spot. They are the only newbie who hasn't done it.

I Think They Had Tom Hanks And David S .Pumpkins AND Bobby AS Drunk Uncle Because IT Was Halloween ! ! Molly Is ONE Person So She Is The Only Newbie That Hasn't Done Up Date ! 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Yay, Cecily’s back! Kenan was great as Herschel Walker. Arizona is truly the Florida of the west. I know because I have a lot of family there. It’s just so depressing knowing all three of those awful people have a serious shot at winning.

Monologue: Yeah, I have no idea who Jack Harlow is, so I have no expectations. “Post Malone without tattoos” is probably the most accurate description I’ve heard about him. “Accused of being white” is also pretty accurate. Incredibly awkward, but dammit he tried.

Joker Wedding: Oh boy, somebody started saying “Joker” weird around the writers room and someone wrote a sketch about it. And holy crap they actually got Jeff Probst to show up to this. What a weird sketch to start with. I wish there was more of Sarah as the grandma.

A Message from Sketchers: “Yeah, Kanye sucks and is crazy…but he chose to work with US” is an odd take on that.

Post-Halloween Red Carpet Special: Everyone drunk and in dumb costumes are always a recipe for success. Honestly the best costume was the little kid as the Chipotle bag.

AA Meeting: Jack Harlow pitching a Pixar movies was the last thing I was expecting. But I loved how everyone got so invested in the dumb suitcase idea. I love how nonchalantly Jack said “I drank recently by the way.” I also can’t believe Tom Hanks showed up. Also loved the sudden luggage puppets.

2020 Part 2: 2024: Yeah, the existential thought of the 2024 election is terrifying to SNL writers. 

Cocktails: Jack Harlow is definitely good at channeling Bowen’s energy. Pretty weak and awkward, though.

WU: “Dr. Oz: did slightly better than a recent stroke victim.” Everything is terrible.

I did like Che’s potshots at Kanye and Clarence Thomas.

Man, they’re really propping up this episode with cameos since Drunk Uncle came back. I missed him (and Bobby) so much. Did him being at January 6th not surprise anyone else? 

Cellblock 666: Of course we got David S. Pumpkins again. Doesn’t quite hit the same knowing he was coming since we saw Tom Hanks and Bobby showing up earlier. Same ending twist, too. It was still funny, though. Kenan was really selling that spiel.

The View: A View sketch where all four women are actually played by women?! What madness is this?! Sarah was great as Joy Behar. Since this was about Jack being into Whoopi Goldberg, I can see why they stuck this in the 10 to 1. “I’ve been closed for business since before you were born.”

I’m not so convinced Jack Harlow doesn’t so much sing, but rather vibes to music. At least he at least committed to every bit tonight?

next week is Amy Schumer.

They Had Tom Hanks AT The Therapist Sketch Because I Think Toy Story Was A Pixar Picture ! Tom Hanks Was Woody The Cowboy In Toy Story ! Probably, IF They Had David S. Pumpkins Earlier, Then, Every Body Would Complain And Say Is That Them Because We Did Not See Him In Any Thing Else ! ! I Thought Sarah As Joy Behar IS THE BEST Thing She Has Done ! When Sarah Was In The Office With That Other Woman Host Coming On To Women WAS Her SECOND BEST Thing She Has Done ! When Sarah Was The Jewish Elvis, That Was The THIRD BEST Thing She Has Done ! 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:07 AM, vb68 said:

Honestly the music seemed like karaoke night at the bar to me. But I'm officially an old person. I didn't get either song.

Most random cameo ever?

Well, I Thought The First Song Was Interesting Various Types OF Songs And I Think The First Song Was Okay ! I Liked The Second Song With The Drum Beat And I Liked When They Came In When They Played ! ! I Told My Brother That I Thought Jack Harlow Was The Second Best Singer After Brenda Carlisle ! ! That Is NOT Counting Adele OR Lizzo ! ! 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:20 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I never thought of 50 as old, but I have no idea who this guy is. Not bad as host, but...yeah, no idea!

Now get off my lawn!!!

P.S. What is with the deal with the increased hybrid host/musical guest trend? Is the budget that much lower?

I Thought Some People Like Adele Has A Personality So She Does That Dating Show And Lizzo Has A Personality ! ! Jack Harlow DOES Have A Movie Coming Out ! 

On 10/31/2022 at 3:57 PM, slasherboy said:

Who played Joker?

Andrew Dismukes