Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got a bunch of TS tonight: Hallowed, Cool "Papa" Bell, Big Daddy, roses, Black Stallion, Elizabeth Taylor, Seattle Slew (Washington state was in the clue!) Barry Goldwater, Sam Kinison, Rothaniel and the missed DD of Doha.

FJ was an instaget. I knew Saturday Night Fever right away, but never even thought of Grease. I hate that movie! 😄 (I loved the Broadway musical though. Grease was the first show on Broadway that I ever saw!) I thought of Urban Cowboy instead. I was off by a couple of years, but it still got me to Travolta. 😉

• Like 7

That one of the movies was Grease was an instaget for me - I couldn't tell you why the year Grease came out has stuck in my mind so much. I wasn't even born then, and in most cases I'm lucky if I can get the decade right, but it was almost a reflex that 1978 = Grease.

It then took a little bit to dredge John Travolta's name up out of my brain. I didn't know or care the second movie, since I was so sure Grease and therefore Travola was correct.

• Like 3

Yikes, back to having a lot of TS.  I can't believe hallowed was one of them -- even I have heard that one.  Maybe, since it was the first one revealed in the "Dadjectives" category, they were trying to think of something dad-related for the response, not paying attention to the fact "Father" in the clue already satisfied the category. 

I ran dadjectives and accessories and got all but one in facts, but missed two each in the rest of the first round categories, so I was a little off my game, too (although better than the contestants!).

I was on fire in DJ, though; I only I ran silent K, but got all but one in all the rest.  I'm glad they showed a picture of Sam Kinison, or I'd have missed two in stand-up.  (I did not need the picture of Wanda Sykes to get her clue correct - I can quote entire blocks of that special, and most her specials - but Kinison I was not a fan of, so the text alone did not get me there.)

FJ was an instaget, sort of.  I immediately thought of Saturday Night Fever, so said John Travolta, but then doubted myself briefly because I didn't know Grease had come out so close to the same time.  Then I realized it must have, as I certainly couldn't come up with any other two films anywhere around that time with the same actor where both had huge hits with their soundtracks.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Suresh might be a 5 day champion, but I think in a tournament of champions, he's going to lose.  Today's game was very disappointing with the number of missed clues.  I couldn't figure out what categories those 3 were good at knowing.  I thought the clues today overall seemed easier than the past couple of days.

• Like 12
(edited)

Suresh could be the luckiest champion ever!  He has seemed to get easy daily doubles also - the Panama Canal comes to mind.  

I read all the Black Stalion books as a kid , loved them and the movie’s first 20 some minutes with any dialog was breathtaking, what a magnificent horse.

Hallowed - seriously?

Meant Without any dialog🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

Half of Double Jeopardy for me was obscured by a tornado warning so I couldn't read most of the clues. Sometimes the first few words that I  could see were enough but not always.

I am old enough that 1978 + soundtrack took me straight to Travolta. I had the Grease album and someone at school had the Saturday Night Fever album.

I knew that actress + National Velvet was Elizabeth Taylor but I was confused about the relevance of King Charles and went back and had to carefully reread the clue in order to grasp that it was the name of the horse and not anything to do with the current Charles III (who I know wasn't even born when the movie was made).

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Suresh might be a 5 day champion, but I think in a tournament of champions, he's going to lose

Yeah, most of his competitors have been… not that formidable. And honestly he’s right up there with them with so many TS’s so I expect once he faces actual competition he’ll be out very fast. 

How did none of three people know “hallowed be thy name”!? JFC I’m a Jewish atheist and I know that phrase from simply being alive and part of the world. One person missing it ok, we all get brain farts, but all three!? I don’t understand it.

FJ was the most insta of instagets. I knew Saturday Night Fever was 1977/1978 and the soundtrack was the biggest thing around that time. Didn’t even need to know the other film, it couldn’t be anyone but Travolta.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 15
  • LOL 2
18 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

How did none of three people know “hallowed be thy name”!? JFC I’m a Jewish atheist and I know that phrase from simply being alive and part of the world. One person missing it ok, we all get brain farts, but all three!? I don’t understand it.

FJ was the most insta of instagets. I knew Saturday Night Fever was 1977/1978 and the soundtrack was the biggest thing around that time. Didn’t even need to know the other film, it couldn’t be anyone but Travolta

I literally said  “oh, come ON” out loud when hallowed was a TS.  

FJ was a total instaget for me as well.  Grease and SNF with Travolta in the same year — what a year for him.  

• Like 9

Well, that was… something. The two challengers just seemed terrified. I was dumbfounded by some of the TSs: NOBODY knew hallowed, roses (come on, they gave you the rhyme!), Elizabeth Taylor, Sam Kinison (forgotten already?) or Big Daddy? I agree with laredhead that although Suresh may be a good player, he’s also been very lucky with the competitive draw. I’m not sure he’d have racked up 6 wins in many other 2-week spans.

FJ came fairly easily, although I did have to think for minute. But considering big hit soundtracks in the late 70s led pretty quickly to Saturday Night Fever, and therefore Travolta. Like some others, I guessed Urban Cowboy for the second movie, but it ultimately didn’t matter. (By the way, for those who haven’t seen SNF, you’re not missing anything. It’s a stupid movie that not only hasn’t aged well, but wasn’t even appealing in its prime. Grease, on the other hand, is a lot of fun. I will never not be annoyed by the final act where Olivia Newton-John decides that she what she really needs in life is to ditch her own personality and become a sex kitten for John Travolta’s pleasure, but it’s otherwise very enjoyable and the songs are sing-along good.)

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The fact that [Mayim] hesitates so much and didn't pause at all when it was a neuroscience answer indicates to me that she is not engaged with the show at all. She doesn't prepare well by studying the clues/acceptable responses. She doesn't care to do the work.  

Based on a recent interview with Ken (posted in the media thread), I wonder how much advance prep they actually do. Ken implied that he doesn’t study the clues at all; he plays along with the contestants and knows when they are right because he got there first. Since they’re taping multiple games in a row, I wonder how much time they actually have for advance prep? If the answer is “not much”, then Ken is faster because he simply knows more. Alex was fast, I assume, because over time he learned how to be quick in checking the answers as the questions were revealed. 

I’m as annoyed with Mayim’s pokiness as anyone, but I’m trying to be patient because a) I’m sure it’s all much harder than it looks, and b) we seem to be stuck with her for the long run, so we might as well settle in. That doesn’t mean I won’t continue to grit my teeth at every giggling DD reveal, but I’m trying to be more charitable.

• Like 13
  • Useful 1

I saw some show about Trebek. He'd get up early and go to the studio and REALLY study the clues/responses, getting the pronunciations right, etc. (He'd also have his breakfast of a Diet Pepsi and a Snickers bar.) I think perhaps Bialik should try to emulate that.

• Like 9
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I would be okay with it on Jeopardy if they also had categories like "Male Authors".

While that isn’t where the solution lies, it would receive a different eye roll from me.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

So now Mayim laughs when contestants miss a double jeopardy?

So many unanswered questions. Just wow.

I wasn’t paying attention and thought I heard that reaction from her.  I reached for the remote to replay the exchange but thought better.  Just no.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Timothy.  I said Alfalfa.  LOL

I said Travolta, based on the white suit, but I had no idea what the other film might have been. I never saw Grease. (Actually, I never saw SNF, either, but that pic of him in the white was ubiquitous.)

The sole reason that I knew Timothy Hay was because I get a few bales to put out for backyard visitors during winter months.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw some show about Trebek. He'd get up early and go to the studio and REALLY study the clues/responses, getting the pronunciations right, etc. (He'd also have his breakfast of a Diet Pepsi and a Snickers bar.) I think perhaps Bialik should try to emulate that.

During one of the commercial breaks when I was on the show, Alex described his typical day to the audience. He said he would get to the studio at about 7:00 am (filming began, I would say, sometime between 10:00 and 10:30, although I didn't check my watch). He spent the morning going over all of the clues for that day's games, making sure that he knew the material, learning the pronunciations of any unfamiliar words or names, and so forth.  Who knows if Ken or Mayim do the same?

Suresh seems like one of the weaker multi-day champs we've seen in awhile. As evidence, I will point to the fact that he is now a six-day champion, and his total winnings are still under $100,000. That seems unusual, I would think. I'm not trying to take anything away from him--he is a six-day winner, which is more than most of us can say--but I'm afraid he's going to get slaughtered in the TOC.

Knowing absolutely nothing about horse-racing, I was surprised by how well I did in the horse category.

• Like 8
  • Useful 4

I ran the horse category. The grandsire of both my horses won the KY Derby in 1975 so Secretariat and Seattle Slew were gimmes.  When nobody knew hallowed I said “heathens!”

• Like 6
  • LOL 9

Archive game for me for Tuesday's game.  For some unknown reason, my DVR didn't record.

Instaget FJ.  I knew Saturday Night Fever, but blanked on what the second movie was.

But I got quite a few of the five million TS last night.  Some were quite surprising!  Ones I got include hallowed, Cool (a guess, based on Chill in the clue), Big Daddy, roses, blue, chrysanthemum, Black Stallion, Elizabeth Taylor, and Seattle Slew.  If I'd been able to see the photo of Sam Kinison, I would have gotten that one, too.  I did not get it from just the clue, though.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
23 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The fact that she hesitates so much and didn't pause at all when it was a neuroscience answer indicates to me that she is not engaged with the show at all. She doesn't prepare well by studying the clues/acceptable responses. She doesn't care to do the work.  Let her move over to Wheel where all she has to worry about is letters and puzzles with no room for errors.

I did notice she was right on top of that. I had been wondering if she put in the hours preparing the way Alex did and it's a reasonable conclusion that she doesn't, for whatever reason.

Okay game for me. I was surprised at the "hallowed" ts, but then again, it does (to me) seem to be an intimate part of an actual service, and not everyone goes to a christian church.

I did get FJ. A downstairs neighbor played the (expletive deleted) SNF album endlessly so I got to hate the songs (I've mellowed since). Didn't even think of Grease. It was the first professional theater play I ever saw (at the ACT in SF), but by the time the movie came along, I'd realized what a terrible message it had and wasn't interested in seeing it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Arrgh, John Travolta and Henry Winkler seem to have settled into a place in my brain as 70s hearthrobs who are still hanging in there, but I can never dredge up either name when I have a trivial need for it. 

Hah! Same for me!
I kept staring at John Travolta's face in my mind's eye while pushing away images of Henry Winkler, but decided knowing his face and not being able to recall his name is not good enough for Jeopardy! 😉

15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was surprised at the "hallowed" ts, but then again, it does (to me) seem to be an intimate part of an actual service, and not everyone goes to a christian church.

It's an age thing too, and possibly geographic. 
When I was in 1st grade in public school in Cheshire CN in 1959-60, we had to bow our heads and say (or mumble similar sounds of) The Lord's Prayer each morning. Another year we had to say the 23rd Psalm. And students were called to the front of this public school classroom to read their favorite bible passage. Mercifully the teacher figured out I did not have one. 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

TSs were hallowed (I know not everyone is a Christian, but not one of the three knew The Lord's Prayer?),

This surprised me as well.

15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Suresh had been pretty lucky snd winning against some subpar opponents. Can't believe he's lasted 6 games. 

I am the first to admit there are nights I feel like I wouldn't know my own name, but Lord have mercy, the contestants over the last few games have been awful.  I can't believe the amount of triple-stumpers/triple wrong responses that have had me yelling at the tv.

• Like 16
10 hours ago, South said:

While that isn’t where the solution lies, it would receive a different eye roll from me.

If people think "Women Authors" is good because it helps the contestants by narrowing the possible responses, then "Male Authors" does in fact serve a purpose. Why would it be more eye-roll worthy than "Women Authors"? 

I think that keeping "Authors" and including folks of all genders in it would be the best, but if people want one gendered category, then I guess they deserve another.

-----

I laughed with delight that nobody knew "hallowed". Maybe they will stop having Bible categories so often. Fwiw, I thought it was "blessed".

• Like 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It's an age thing too, and possibly geographic. 
When I was in 1st grade in public school in Cheshire CN in 1959-60, we had to bow our heads and say (or mumble similar sounds of) The Lord's Prayer each morning. Another year we had to say the 23rd Psalm. And students were called to the front of this public school classroom to read their favorite bible passage. Mercifully the teacher figured out I did not have one. 

I went to parochial (Catholic) grade school in the 60s and we went to Mass once a week before school started - something like one day would be the 1st and 6th graders, the next the 3rd and 5th graders and so on. Since the Lord's Prayer/Our Father is part of the Mass I would have no excuse for missing hallowed. Not surprised that someone (especially someone without a Christian background) would miss it but surprised that not one of the three got it.

The other TS that really surprised me was blue. Not so much that they missed it, but that no one even tried to guess a color for a $400 clue.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

The other TS that really surprised me was blue. Not so much that they missed it, but that no one even tried to guess a color for a $400 clue.

I guessed pink then purple...I would have gone blue next but time was up.

image.png.046df1cb149eb0c6b189c1c3f1bc6831.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

And now we're back to the bazillion stumpers.

FJ was such an instaget, I briefly wondered if it was so easy it was a trick.  I had a friend who wore out her Saturday Night Fever 8-track and we all had copies of the Grease soundtrack.  Yes, I am old.

I did very well in the first round, running Dadjectives, Horse, Family History and Accessories, and getting all but one clue in After The Fact.  DJ was not nearly as good for me, but I did run Crop and got all but one in Stand-Up.

And I got ten of the many, many stumpers: hallowed, Cool, Big Daddy, chrysanthemum, Seattle Slew, Elizabeth Taylor, the Black Stallion, Stroganov, Timothy and Sam Kinison.

18 hours ago, chicagofan said:

TSs were hallowed (I know not everyone is a Christian, but not one of the three knew The Lord's Prayer?)

Maybe they were all afraid they might say "Harold"?

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of the Black Stallion, hallowed, cool, big Elizabeth taylor, Doha, knowledge is power, what if, Barry Goldwater and William Jennings Bryan.

I'm deeply proud of actually getting the first three clues in Presidential Campaign Slogans correct because I suck at politics and presidents as categories.  No way was I going to get either Goldwater or Jennings Bryan correct.  Conversely, I'm deeply ashamed of not being able to remember that LAST YEAR'S World Cup was in Qatar after doing my utter best to try and watch every match possible.

16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yeah I've never actually seen Saturday night fever but know the suit, dance, song 'staying alive'   actually I think I learned it from the movie airplane. 

I have seen the DREADFUL follow up to Saturday night fever the movie staying alive in all its early 80s cheesiness. 

Me, too, although I have seen a few scenes from SNF.  And yep, Staying Alive is dreadful.  But I was bored, it was a rainy afternoon and I had free cable.

16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Suresh had been pretty lucky snd winning against some subpar opponents. Can't believe he's lasted 6 games. 

Monday was the only day he had much competition.

And yes, Teddy was a Republican.  Until he was a Progressive.  (He actually was pretty progressive for a Republican at the time.)

• Like 2
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

roses (come on, they gave you the rhyme!),

I'd never heard that line so had no idea it was supposed to rhyme.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Grease, on the other hand, is a lot of fun.

I feel about Grease the way you do about SNF, despite still being able to sing most of the songs on the soundtrack.

11 hours ago, South said:

The sole reason that I knew Timothy Hay was because I get a few bales to put out for backyard visitors during winter months.

Some of my mother's family were/are farmers so I'd heard it.  And it came up in a lot of the books I read when I was a horse-obsessed adolescent.  Did not know it was named for a person, though.

• Like 2

I thought John Travolta with Grease & SNF being the movies in less than a second & then almost talked myself out of it because it was so easy but couldn't come up with anything else in time so stuck with JT.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

and we all had copies of the Grease soundtrack.  Yes, I am old.

1 Christmas, in the early '80s, my sister got the Grease soundtrack and I got the Grease 2 soundtrack.  LOL, I think she actually may have asked for Grease, but I'm reasonably sure I didn't ask for Grease 2, even though  I actually like Grease 2.  Yeah, I'm the one.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Conversely, I'm deeply ashamed of not being able to remember that LAST YEAR'S World Cup was in Qatar after doing my utter best to try and watch every match possible.

I remembered what country it was in but couldn't come up with the city.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I remembered what country it was in but couldn't come up with the city.

If I had remembered Qatar, I would've known Doha because an episode of Air Disasters I watched recently involved a UPS plane crash there.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

If I had remembered Qatar, I would've known Doha because an episode of Air Disasters I watched recently involved a UPS plane crash there.

That was a bad one.

I never knew the capital of Fiji, in one of those strange coincidences I was watching an old (old) episode of Mannix and a character was naming cities another character had been in and he said Suva, and I was like.. did he say Suva? and yes he did. It wouldn't have mattered if I had seen the episode first as they didn't mention the country but I thought it was funny anyway.

I don't know if I've ever really heard of -paternal- instinct, maternal certainly and I got the answer from the clue but it's really not something I hear very often, if at all. Probably should be, but..

• Like 3
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Knowing absolutely nothing about horse-racing, I was surprised by how well I did in the horse category.

I can't stand horse racing (for how the jockeys and horses are often treated), so I was surprised by my performance in that category -- I got three.  Thankfully, you didn't always have to actually know about horses; knowing, for example, Elizabeth Taylor starred in National Velvet.  While I've never read it (or Black Beauty), I could see the cover of The Black Stallion in my head, yet I could not come up with the title.  Which is utterly ridiculous, having been spotted black and horse.  Normally, I'd console myself that it stumped all three contestants, too, but not with this bunch!

• Like 4
(edited)

Fair to middlin' sort of game today - not bad but there were a few more clues/TSs I feel I should have gotten. It was kinda feast or famine - either got most of the clues in a category or missed most of them.

Had 4 good categories in the J round. Got 4 in "Go, Canada", "3-, 4- or 5-Letter Words", "Random Stuff" and "Holidays & Observances". TSs were Calgary (Manitoba is a another province, not a city), hockey (guess), oboe, wisdom and Memorial Day (May/holiday - duh).

Did about the same in DJ. Ran "Gimme 5" and got 4 in "J Not Sounding Like Juh". TSs/missed DDs were Spa, Rimsky-Korsakov, Don Juan (DD) and Jarlsberg. And how is Ming a $2000 clue especially when you've been spotted the "m"?

3rd missed FJ of the week. 😢 I guessed Illya Kuryakin - love me some David McCallum.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

Should have gotten FJ...but didn't. I was thinking "the Russian guy from the Man from UNCLE" (Illya Kuryakin). Turns out, I was a few years off (series was 64-68). TS: Memorial Day (come on! they gave you "May" and it couldn't be Mother's Day), oboe, Calgary, Wisdom (what else is Solomon known for?), spa, Rimsky-Korsakov.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I had no idea on FJ.  I said Schultz from Hogan's Heroes for lack of a better answer.

I got the missed clues of Calgary, Celeste Ng, oboe after clarinet, wisdom, Memorial Day, purim, spa, and Don Juan.

I got the entire categories of words, holidays and Mpires right.

• Like 2
(edited)

June 14:

70% / 67% / 68%

Ran Holidays, missed one each in Words, Random Stuff, and A Chorus Line, and three each in Canada and Novels.

Ran J Not Sounding Like Juh, missed one in Gimme 5, two in UNESCO World Heritage Sites, "M"pires, and Medicine, and three Latino Actors & Actresses.

Had no clue for FJ (it seemed obvious enough once revealed but my mind didn't even go near Star Trek).

My TSes were oboe, wisdom, Memorial Day, Purim, Spa, Rimsky-Korsakov, Jarlsberg, and Don Juan (DD).

Someone (not sure if here or on facebook) commented on the relatively low scores this week; I noticed they've been going top to bottom a lot (which I prefer if only for personal scorekeeping purposes). Getting the higher value clues early makes for bigger betting opportunities when they hit the Daily Doubles and they're not doing that.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea on FJ.  I said Schultz from Hogan's Heroes for lack of a better answer.

I did, too! Not sure why; I've never even see Hogan's Heroes.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And now we're back to the bazillion stumpers.

FJ was such an instaget, I briefly wondered if it was so easy it was a trick.  I had a friend who wore out her Saturday Night Fever 8-track and we all had copies of the Grease soundtrack.  Yes, I am old.

I did very well in the first round, running Dadjectives, Horse, Family History and Accessories, and getting all but one clue in After The Fact.  DJ was not nearly as good for me, but I did run Crop and got all but one in Stand-Up.

And I got ten of the many, many stumpers: hallowed, Cool, Big Daddy, chrysanthemum, Seattle Slew, Elizabeth Taylor, the Black Stallion, Stroganov, Timothy and Sam Kinison.

Maybe they were all afraid they might say "Harold"?

I'm deeply proud of actually getting the first three clues in Presidential Campaign Slogans correct because I suck at politics and presidents as categories.  No way was I going to get either Goldwater or Jennings Bryan correct.  Conversely, I'm deeply ashamed of not being able to remember that LAST YEAR'S World Cup was in Qatar after doing my utter best to try and watch every match possible.

Me, too, although I have seen a few scenes from SNF.  And yep, Staying Alive is dreadful.  But I was bored, it was a rainy afternoon and I had free cable.

Monday was the only day he had much competition.

And yes, Teddy was a Republican.  Until he was a Progressive.  (He actually was pretty progressive for a Republican at the time.)

That's the reason i watched Saturday night fever too!

Teddy was definitely a new mold republican and progressive. 

But then the Republicans were actually progressive at the time, compared to now in particular.  It's all very confusing.  Teddy certainly wouldn't be a current day republican.  Heck Reagan probably wouldn't be a current day republican. 

Whatever you call him was a great president. 

• Like 5

I had to think about FJ tonight.  My brain first went to The Man from UNCLE, but I didn't think it was right.  So I thought about what other shows were on in the 60s and finally landed on Star Trek, and came up with the correct FJ just in the nick of time.  Was there a Man From Uncle movie?

I also got the TS of Harry, wisdom, Memorial Day, spa, Don Juan, and Jarlsberg.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
56 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

I guessed Illya Kuryakin - love me some David McCallum.

As often as I watch ST: TOS, you'd think I'd have gotten Chekov, but noooooo. I, too, said Kuryakin, KNOWING the show had been on earlier than ST. 

And as much as I hate the religion clues, I got the TS of Purim.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Oh oh oh oh stayin alive, staying alive....

----

For TS, I got Harry, Rimsky-Korsicov (which was a total guess and shocked me by being right), Jarlsberg, and Purim. 

I enjoyed going in order through the categories tonight. 

I again thought Mayim did better with the pausing (not pausing). Maybe someone told her what she needs to do to come up to standard. There was a little less of the nervous giggling, too.

I wonder if they're making her wear heels, also. I do NOT support that dictate, if that's what it is.

• Like 2

Illya Kuryakin fans, come sit by me!  I was so completely sure he was the FJ question, I never even thought of Chekov or anyone else.  And of course, I would have been completely wrong.

I had a tentmate at Girl Scout Camp, circa 1968 or '69, who had a major crush on Illya Kuryakin/David McCallum.  She had an Illya doll, er, action figure....and she slept with it.  Tucked into her pajama pants!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 9

I said Ilya Kuryakin and was SURE I was right. Alas, no. But it was the first thing that occurred to me and I didn't even continue to think of other possibilities.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Illya Kuryakin fans, come sit by me! 

3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I said Ilya Kuryakin and was SURE I was right. Alas, no. But it was the first thing that occurred to me and I didn't even continue to think of other possibilities.

I also said Illya Kuryakin, but then at the last second I though of Chekov and yelled that instead. Whew!

I totally, tentatively, guessed Purim and was shocked! when I was right.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think about FJ tonight.  My brain first went to The Man from UNCLE, but I didn't think it was right.  So I thought about what other shows were on in the 60s and finally landed on Star Trek, and came up with the correct FJ just in the nick of time.  Was there a Man From Uncle movie?

There was a relatively recent Man from UNCLE movie starring Armie Hammer and Henry Cavill(?). I never saw the original series but for some reason I had a book (novelization? original story? based on the characters) related to the TV series when I was a child. The only thing I remembered was that one of the characters was called Napoleon Solo and I couldn't recall the other fellow's name so I hoped it might be possible that Napoleon Solo could be a fictional Russian.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Punctuation
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Illya Kuryakin fans, come sit by me!  I was so completely sure he was the FJ question, I never even thought of Chekov or anyone else.  And of course, I would have been completely wrong.

I had a tentmate at Girl Scout Camp, circa 1968 or '69, who had a major crush on Illya Kuryakin/David McCallum.  She had an Illya doll, er, action figure....and she slept with it.  Tucked into her pajama pants!

A friend of mine who I've known since the 3rd grade used to play something they called U.N.C.L.E. with her two older brothers. Don't know exactly what it encompassed, just that the had something they called the "U.N.C.L.E. room" in their basement.

• Mind Blown 3
1 minute ago, AuxArx said:

Big fans of the cute blond “Russian” back in the day.

Yes, big McCallum fan, still have most of the U.N.C.L.E books. My ST crush was Spock so not a big Koenig fan.

• Like 4

Good grief, what is going on lately?!  So many TS again!

I was terrible in novels, only getting To Kill a Mockingbird, but if not for that epic disaster I would have had a great first round, only missing two -- Purim and Mount Logan.

In DJ, I only ran J, but I did okay -- got all but one in medicine (I almost always run those categories, but I could get thorazine from my brain to my mouth) and UNESCO and missed two each in the rest.

I joined the contestants in having no idea for FJ, though; I have never seen (nor had any interest in seeing) anything in the Star Trek franchise.  I've never even heard of the character via cultural osmosis, so even if the clue had said "This Star Trek character debuted in ..." I wouldn't have been able to come up with it.  Only by sitting around spouting off Russian last names would I have been able to sit here and eventually come up with the correct response some time before I died.

• Like 1