Type keyword(s) to search

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)

Hiyo
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Random thoughts:

• Myrna looked a bit worse for wear, and older than her age.
  • I liked Lucy better in the first movie.
  • Tom was gorgeous as always!
  • Isobel's hair was lighter, more like in the series, than in the last movie.
  • Bertie's hair was much darker!
  • Mary's eyebrows in the early scenes were heavy!
  • Marigold is calling Edith "Mummy", and I think I heard her call Bertie "Daddy".
  • Uncle Julian reportedly did not go with Charles Blake as end-game for Mary due to Julian Ovenden's unavailability during the series, and the movie shows why Charles was a much better choice for her (as I always thought).
  • Edith's sky-blue dress in particular was fabulous.
  • One early scene had several women in much the same color, which is odd for Downton.
  • Denker looked awful. I wonder if Sue Johnston is OK.
  • The potential red-herring with Cora really could have and should have been left out.
  • It was wonderful to hear Tom call Violet by her first name, finally. 
  • The actor guy is so smarmy I could almost feel his hair oil.
  • I was sad Mr. Ellis (very hot!) is out of the picture.
  • I thought Thomas would take back his choice at the end.
  • The marquis does resemble Robert!
  • I think I prefer the first movie for the pageantry, horses, and music, plus Tom and Lucy's sweetness, but I will see this again and buy it!
Edited by jschoolgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Random thoughts:

• Uncle Julian reportedly did not go with Charles Blake as end-game for Mary due to Julian Ovenden's unavailability during the series, and the movie shows why Charles was a much better choice for her (as I always thought).

SNIP

• Denker looked awful. I wonder if Sue Johnston is OK.

SNIP

• I think I prefer the first movie for the pageantry, horses, and music, plus Tom and Lucy's sweetness, but I will see this again and buy it!
  • Mary’s husbands: I agree. As much as I love Matthew Goode, if he isn’t going to be available for any possible future Downton movies, either recast Henry or kill him off between films and have Charles Blake or Evelyn Napier (or anyone else) be Mary’s third husband. Maybe Tony Gillingham can be recently widowed. 
  • Denker - I thought it was that terrible hairstyle. 
  • I agree. I definitely prefer the first movie but already have a ticket to see A New Era again Sunday afternoon; this time in a Dolby theater. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see it on that screen with that sound. The Downton movies just feel like an opportunity to spend a couple hours with old friends.

if there is another film, can we have the family all in the same place rather then spending most of the movie hundreds of miles apart?

Also:

Spoiler

Loved the scene with Jim Carter and Imelda Staunton in the haberdashery.

With so many characters getting happy endings, I wonder who might not be back for any subsequent films (other than the obvious), or will they always find a reason to bring some characters back?

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

OK - I've seen it twice this week.   I found the music so loud when the actors were speaking.    They should tone it down.   I was hoping the movie would take place during the 1930's, but that would mean Violet would be ancient and the happy days would be over.   That said it was good and very entertaining.   I'm hoping Downton can go through WW II - George would be the right age to be in the RAF.   I saw Sibbie and George.  Was the other girl Marigold?   Where was Edith's baby?   She was soooo attached to Marigold and seems to have no time for the baby, with her  writing and traveling.   I was hoping we would see her home and homelife too, but she's only seen as it relates to Downton.  As I see it, they've resolved many of the characters stories to the point of them moving on and not returning.  Yet, there are no new characters to get involved in.     (Except for Lucy).   I thought we would be getting more scenes with the children to prepare us for the next generation.

a

• Love 2

I had been writing in the Downton Abbey thread as I didn't realize there was a new thread for the movie.  I preferred this movie to the first one as I didn't care for the servants' rivalry with the royal servants and that Edith was feeling sorry for herself again (didn't like the committees she was serving on and didn't like hosting)-growing up an aristocrat she knew what that marriage would entail.

Anyway, both Daisy and Edith were less whiny in this movie so I appreciated that.  For a while I thought both Violet and Cora were going to die and that would have really changed the dynamics of the family, so I was kind of hoping that would happen.  It took me a while to figure out that Violet had moved into Downton-I think there was just a throw away line about leaving the Dowager's home.  

I thought the movie within the movie portion took a bit of the story from "Singing in the Rain" when Gene Kelly had Debbie Reynolds substitute her voice for the actress in the new talkies.  

Of course, someone's phone went off during the funeral scenes and the woman couldn't/didn't turn it off so there was a distraction in the theatre during this part (folks, turn OFF your phones during a movie...).

I really enjoyed it and shed a tear or two or a hundred and plan on seeing it again.  I hope it does well so that there will be another one.

However, having said that, I am so tired of every man who interacts with Mary falling in love with her.  Just kill off Henry (since it appears he really won't be in these movies) and have Mary face life and challenges alone.

• Love 12

I saw it yesterday with my daughter and we loved it! Violet really stole the show and her lines were so funny! I thought everyone looked pretty good, although Hugh Bonneville was on the thin side and oddly, he was sporting a spray tan. The silent/talkie movie story line was fairly predictable, but I liked it better than the servant wars of the last movie. It felt like I was visiting my old friends at Downton Abbey, so I came away satisfied. 

• Love 13

Meh.

There was so little tension in this one.  I can't think of a single issue with/among the staff.  All of them were happy and content.  ZZZZZZ

I did not buy at all the level of anger from the widow who was aced out of the villa by Violet.  She expressed bitterness on several occasions, but I never got the sense of outrage.  No seething.  I also did not buy, despite the plot twist, her son's incredibly charming and welcoming attitude towards all the Grantham party.  He seemed quite happy that these English were to take over those grounds.

Violet was nowhere near up to snuff in this one.  Given her declining health, it makes sense.  I just hoped for more.  

I loved the leads for "The Gambler," the film being shot at Downton.  Myrna was a hoot.  Our introduction to her was fabulous.  Guy was a wonderful doppelganger for Clark Gable.  He had a great attitude and was so very winning throughout.  I appreciated the parallel of a dying silent movie genre with the inevitable decline of the nobility.  

It's difficult for me to believe HB is/was not sickly with all that weight loss.  The spray tan seemed a device to cover a pallid skin.  YMMV.

There were a few scenes where I did not get Robert's motivations/reactions.  The biggest being his lack of enthusiasm for Carson accompanying him to the villa.  HB way overplayed the big story arc which developed in France. 

The cinematography was superb.  The opening sequence of the wedding was breathtaking.  I'm glad I experienced it in a theater.

I am very happy that we got another look at Downton as their story transitioned into 1930.  Julian has his hands full in maintaining the estate, as it were, as it faces the super rough economics of the era.  I really hope we get some nexus with the coming abdication.  Of itself, that could be an entire sequel!  

• Love 2

I enjoyed the movie!  I liked the opening scene with the wedding and everyone taking pictures for it.  Everyone laughed when Molesley's picture showed his hair was all askew. 

I was surprised that Daisy married the guy that's been pining over her.  At least she made some movement in her life!

The "who's the father" plot was entertaining.  I liked the scenes which showed everyone's speculation about what happened all those years ago.

I felt sorry for Mary, who felt last on her husband's list of priorities.  I really wonder where they are going to take his character. 

A few scenes made me tear up, which I wasn't expecting.  I'll definitely buy this when it comes on DVD.

• Love 4
(edited)

That was really not great?!

I wasn't expecting much and mostly went for comfort food/film reasons, but goodness it was just so predictable and so unoriginal. I think what overshadowed everything for me was that we're somehow supposed to believe Mary is okay with having a shit husband and is just going to...go along with that forever? Like, I could have at least used a scene where she told him he needed to get his ass home and received a telegram in response that he knows, it's time for him to be there for her. Something. Anything. It's super unsatisfying - even if perhaps historically appropriate (and necessary for Matthew Goode reasons).

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I can't say I enjoyed this move. It was so depressing. Yes, it did have some lighthearted moments but it just had an overarching theme of sadness between the Dowager and Lady Grantham that I didn't enjoy. Sure Lady Grantham turned about to be okay but it still cast a cloud over the film for me.

I love this series -- it is probably my favorite of all time. But I feel like it's getting dangerously close to Sex and the City territory where they've told all the stories that are left to tell for this particular set of characters and there's nothing left to say. It feels like more of a money grab -- I know it is. But I would have been okay if they truly ended the show after season six because it was so sad.

It was nice to see all the characters again and what a beautiful tribute to Violet. But not sure if I'd bother to see a third film.

ETA: I thought it was an odd choice to include Dominic in this film especially since Lady Rose hasn't been any of the films. It seems like the actress who played her got all the back lash and he didn't get much...including her old job.

Edited by Miss Slay
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

[...]

ETA: I thought it was an odd choice to include Dominic in this film especially since Lady Rose hasn't been any of the films. It seems like the actress who played her got all the back lash and he didn't get much...including her old job.

Explain, please?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

I mean, the reason Lily James isn't here is because her career is so big that she doesn't have time and/or the desire for it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Who is Dominic referred to by @missslay?   A few thoughts, if there's another movie Carson would be butler and Danker would be Cora's ladies maid - since her current maid will be off with Mr. Mosley.  Unless it's several years later than 1930.   I'd like it to be during the Abdication and start of WW 2.   Of course, Mrs. Patmore and Mrs. Hughes would be retired and we haven't met new characters at all with this film, except transitory ones with the film company.   Lucy is the only new one, and they can write out Tom and Lucy now.

Was Edith and Bertie's son named Peter? So the next marquess of Hexam. I was surprised he wasn't at least at the wedding.

I like Mary a lot more now, but it still doesn't make sense that every non-related male in her vicinity falls for her. And she has a crap husband who is never around. Recast or kill him off. 

Glad to see Daisy and Andy finally married. Crazy that the actor and Laura Carmichael have a baby together. 

Is a third movie planned? 

• Love 5

Dominic West played Guy.  IIRC, Lily James and he were photographed kissing in public.  He is not single.  Guess who got the brunt of the moral outrage?

On 5/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, seacliffsal said:

I thought the movie within the movie portion took a bit of the story from "Singing in the Rain" when Gene Kelly had Debbie Reynolds substitute her voice for the actress in the new talkies.  

I would call it an homage, but they really did copy a lot of that storyline from Singin' in the Rain.  The only real difference is the beautiful actress with the terrible voice gets a happy ending and what must be the world's quickest working elocution lessons. 

Otherwise, I really did enjoy the movie.  It hit all the right spots.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I really wanted to see this when it came out, but still leery of going to movie theaters. The friend I was planning on going with just caught Covid (poor thing) and I won't see it without her. Plus, I'm old and have physical stuff going on, so waiting is.

So, some good-ish news for those of us who aren't ready: Downton Abbey 2 may be hitting Peacock TV as soon as July 5! No promises, but FYI:

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/streaming/how-to-watch-downton-abbey-a-new-era

Won't be quite the eyeful that a big screen would bring, but a lot safer! *Sigh*

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I really wanted to see this when it came out, but still leery of going to movie theaters.

Including my wife and myself, there were 4 people in the theater we attended. 🤣

I enjoyed it. It was funny, it was sad, it was Downton Abbey.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Including my wife and myself, there were 4 people in the theater we attended. 🤣

I enjoyed it. It was funny, it was sad, it was Downton Abbey.

We were in a full theater which made us happy for DA and the theater business.  

It was just a delight for my daughter and me.  I'll happily see it again.

The only glaring thing for us was Mary's husband's absence.  And he was barely even momentarily in the last one.  Pretty crummy for the Downton Abbey team that they cast someone who could not actually appear in the films.  I'm watching The Offer and Matthew Goode has a huge role in it.  I glare at him like "why couldn't you spare a little time for Downton?".

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

We were in a full theater which made us happy for DA and the theater business. 

Yeah, I was glad to see they had a strong opening weekend.

I think our empty theater had more to do with location - not a lot of PBS watchers in our neck of the woods, I reckon.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Glad to see Daisy and Andy finally married.

Glad to see that. What was the reason for the fancy cake at their cottage?

Our theatre had a special event with tea and macarons, hat and trivia contest. A full house and quite fun. Really enjoyed the movie.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Was Edith and Bertie's son named Peter? So the next marquess of Hexam. I was surprised he wasn't at least at the wedding.

[...]

Yes, the baby's name is Peter. He's still an infant and likely was with his nanny during the wedding.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:17 PM, Doublemint said:

Where was Edith's baby?   She was soooo attached to Marigold and seems to have no time for the baby, with her  writing and traveling.   I was hoping we would see her home and homelife too, but she's only seen as it relates to Downton. 

That was my first reaction, too. Edith was borderline obsessed with Marigold and for the new baby (Peter?) to not be shown once and not even “I’m going to telephone Brancaster to check on the baby” seemed so out of place for her.

Still loved it and ate it all up, though!

So Thomas is out for the next movie, right? I hope a 3rd one is made since this is my comfort food.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shipmate said:

Edith was borderline obsessed with Marigold

That was a vastly different situation. Edith had lost Michael to his attackers, waited to learn his fate, and for good or ill she was determined to keep Marigold with her or around her in spite of potential gossip or foster attachment.

• Love 4
(edited)

My favorite part- Edith and Mary at Violet's bedside. They couldn't manage the love at Sybill's, glad they can now. 

ETA- come on Julian, Pernicious Anemia AGAIN? Tsk tsk

Edited by BAForever
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, shipmate said:

So Thomas is out for the next movie, right? I hope a 3rd one is made since this is my comfort food.

Uncle Julian would figure something out!

Thomas and the oleaginous star could come to England for a shopping trip to Savile Row and then swing up to Yorkshire given that they might as well as long as they'd already come so far.

• Love 1

Re the tans on the actors.  I read on IMDB that they had to quarantine for two weeks when the first got to France so Julian told the male actors to get some sun.  And boy did they.  No spray tans here.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I loved it! I’m a little sad my favorites (Edith, Branson) didn’t get much to do but it was nice that this time the storylines were fairly spread out. Everyone got the same amount of lightness that together made a feel good overall film. I couldn’t stop smiling!

Hopefully they will spend more time with the kids next time as they transition into the ‘30s. It definitely felt like the beginning of a new series so why not have it be Sybbie, George and Marigold as the new Mary, Edith and Sybil.

Spoiler

Sad to see Thomas go but I think they will find a way to put him back in. At least he’s finally nice and happy. 

Edited by t7686
  • Like 1

I liked the first movie. This one is more about the family than the servants (though I enjoyed the part the servants played at the end). Not as many laughs but interesting to learn more about each character & maybe a few tears were shed (darn dusty theater!).

Only a week out & the theater was nearly empty (5 people). Granted it was a matinee but I hope it does well enough for a 3rd movie. Though it seems they’ve wrapped things up so I don’t know which direction a next one would take.

Marys husband being gone opened up the storyline of flirtation/temptation but I was really hoping her husband would at least put in an appearance at the end.

Robert looked shockingly thin. I’ve just binged the whole series & 1st movie, & it surprised me every time he was onscreen. They should have given him the “I’m ill” story. On another note, why did they even make that story for Lady Granthem? It didn’t add anything to the movie. And his face was so dark/orange in one scene.

It seemed to copy some of “singing in the rain”, but in that movie you never see what happened to the actress with the terrible voice. I liked that this one followed through what her future plans were.

I liked that Edith & Mary weren't constantly sniping at each other. I think Mary got a dig or 2 in, but everyone seemed to roll their eyes & moved on.

Overall a good movie & I’ll be watching it again when it is streaming.

• Love 2

I enjoyed it as well. The ending was sad, but I’m glad Violet went out on one last zinger: “Stop it, I can’t hear myself die!” Savage to the end.

The Mary and the director story was so unnecessary, but I appreciate he was gentlemanly enough to ask to kiss her instead of trying go for it, which really would have been bad.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I saw this today and enjoyed it so much more than the first movie. It was wonderful to see my boyfriend Tom Branson so happy, Mary and Edith getting along with some mild snarkiness, and the fashions! Some sadness throughout the movie but lots of laugh out loud moments, too. Honestly, I’d be fine with this being the end of Downton Abbey since I don’t care about the next generation and everyone’s story ended on a good note (except for Mary’s, and I would expect her to put her foot down at some point soon with hubby about spending some time at home, but I don’t need to see her do it). 

I will definitely be going back to the theater to see this again!!

• Love 2

I liked it and thought it was better than the first film. The storylines were more fun. One of the best bits IMO was when Bertie blurts out that Myrna’s working class accent was “ghastly.” This was obviously Uncle Julian’s idea of an in joke because Harry Hadden-Paton had recently completed a very successful run as linguist Henry Higgins in the Lincoln Center revival of My Fair Lady.

• Love 5

#TIL I learned Lady Edith and Footman Andy had a baby – in real life! The baby news is being reported now, but the baby was born in 2021. (I knew they'd been dating for a while, so good job being stealth on the pregnancy, Laura Carmichael!)

On 5/23/2022 at 5:40 AM, Atlanta said:

I like Mary a lot more now, but it still doesn't make sense that every non-related male in her vicinity falls for her.

That's our Julian Fellowes! Consistent from the start. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Not much to add other that I found Mary's costumes super disappointing. She seemed so dowdy. Everyone - especially Edith - looked so glamorous and beautiful. Also it seemed so rushed at some points, Ms Patmore ends up with Mr Mason just cause the young ones want to get rid of him, Thomas leaves Downton to be some actors "butler" he doesn't even know and gosh, Cora thinks she will die, she and Robert have a teary goodbye-scene which seems a bit premature and than oops, does not die but suddenly Violet does. Whaaat?

I was like JF didn't know where to end and was all over the place. There was a dozen of different storylines.

And yeah, I still enjoyed it, what can you do. I just came out of it with a slight whiplash.

• Love 6

If you enjoyed Lucy, Tuppence Middleton in DA: ANE you can see more of her starring in the currently popular Netflix movie, Disappearance At Clifton Hall.

Tuppence is a girl's name meaning two pence.

She was named after her mother Tina's childhood nickname.

I checked the movie box office and this movie hasn't done as well (28 million) as the first one (while costing twice as much to make [40 million]) so I am concerned that this may be the end of the Downton Saga.  Makes me sad but at least many of the characters had happy endings in this movie.

8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I checked the movie box office and this movie hasn't done as well (28 million) as the first one (while costing twice as much to make [40 million]) so I am concerned that this may be the end of the Downton Saga. 

It's also coming out under very different circumstances.  Here, you have the pandemic, along with the fact that I think the movie is going to be available for streaming on Peacock in July. 

• Love 1
On 6/2/2022 at 3:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

I checked the movie box office and this movie hasn't done as well (28 million) as the first one (while costing twice as much to make [40 million]) so I am concerned that this may be the end of the Downton Saga.  Makes me sad but at least many of the characters had happy endings in this movie.

I think the timing of the release has hurt them, too.  If this had come out back in December or even early spring I think it would have done better.  Now it is competing with several summer blockbuster type films (Top Gun, Dr. Strange, etc.) and that's what people are more interested in this time of year.  I'm not sure why they had such a delay... I can't imagine it was for post-production reasons, but the constant pushing back the release date was frustrating and I think probably caused some people to lose interest.

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved seeing these characters again. I have missed them.

As far as the movie itself…meh. I really didn’t care about the movie-making within the movie but I’m glad that the (real life) financial demands of maintaining a castle were addressed. Also, the need to pair off everyone is a bit silly but I do want the characters to have happy endings.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, SoTheresThat said:

Re the tans on the actors.  I read on IMDB that they had to quarantine for two weeks when the first got to France so Julian told the male actors to get some sun.  And boy did they.  No spray tans here.

Unfortunately, it looked like spray tans. Surely there was something that make-up could have done to make some of the actors look less orange. It was distracting.

Spoiler

It was absolutely genius to have the downstairs staff serve as extras in the movie. Seeing Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Patmore, etc dressed up and seated in the dining room  was fantastic.

The cinematography and the costumes were stunning, as expected. The wigs less so.

Unpopular opinion: as much as I have enjoyed DA, I don’t think that a 3rd movie is needed. 

Spoiler

Even though I knew it was coming, Violet’s death was sad. Loved the final scene between Violet and Isobel. Their friendship was one of the show’s strengths, full of humor, respect and disagreements. Maggie Smith created one of the most entertaining characters in all of TV. I’m glad that Violet’s passing was given it’s due.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 5

Something I realized that is kind of sad:

Since Sybbie is inheriting the house in France, wouldn't she basically lose everything eventually, with the Nazi occupation which will come in just over 10 years?  Pretty tragic, considering she lost her biological mom at birth?  And the upcoming depression could mean that the family loses everything anyway.  Regardless of whether it's used (is Tom still selling USED cars?) or new, I'm not sure people will want to buy a car, period when people have no money.  

• Sad 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I doubt Fellows would have them go broke after everything they endured.

Lots of aristocratic families survived the depression and WWII and are still quite wealthy today. Not all, but I have a feeling Fellows would have the Crawleys survive as well.

It's also possible Sybbie's house also survives WWII and she keeps her ownership of it as well.

• Love 4