Type keyword(s) to search

Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022)

Hiyo
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I doubt Fellows would have them go broke after everything they endured.

Lots of aristocratic families survived the depression and WWII and are still quite wealthy today. Not all, but I have a feeling Fellows would have the Crawleys survive as well.

It's also possible Sybbie's house also survives WWII and she keeps her ownership of it as well.

Downton is probably going to be okay since they're further away from the Blitz.  Could have even housed kids who were sent to the countryside.  In real life, however, there were planes which crashed onto the Highclere property.  

Of course, we're not even sure if there'd be any more Downton sequels with Viola gone.  It's not Downton without her!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, PRgal said:

Something I realized that is kind of sad:

Since Sybbie is inheriting the house in France, wouldn't she basically lose everything eventually, with the Nazi occupation which will come in just over 10 years?  Pretty tragic, considering she lost her biological mom at birth?  And the upcoming depression could mean that the family loses everything anyway.  Regardless of whether it's used (is Tom still selling USED cars?) or new, I'm not sure people will want to buy a car, period when people have no money.  

In the series, Tom said he and Henry would eventually go into production. They'd hang in through the Depression and then sell vehicles to the British armed forces. Downton would probably receive evacuated children or return to convalescent use. 

On 6/2/2022 at 3:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

I checked the movie box office and this movie hasn't done as well (28 million) as the first one (while costing twice as much to make [40 million]) so I am concerned that this may be the end of the Downton Saga.  Makes me sad but at least many of the characters had happy endings in this movie.

The Downton franchise appeals to older viewers, and they are more hesitant to go to theaters in light of the pandemic.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

In the series, Tom said he and Henry would eventually go into production. They'd hang in through the Depression and then sell vehicles to the British armed forces. Downton would probably receive evacuated children or return to convalescent use. 

The Downton franchise appeals to older viewers, and they are more hesitant to go to theaters in light of the pandemic.

You mean TOM is going into production.  Henry seems to have...you know...other interests.  Tom is the one running the entire thing.  I smell trouble ahead.  LOL.

Regarding the theatres:  I'm 42 and haven't gone to a "real" movie in two years - still nervous, mostly because I have a 3 1/2 year old.  I'd probably have gone if he were 5 or older and already vaxxed.  I ended up watching Downton when the movie dropped on Prime this weekend.  Do we know how well it's done on streaming?  My parents are in their 70s and watch a lot of things on various streaming services.  They (or rather, my mom) shop on Amazon a lot, and I'm pretty sure are Prime members.

(edited)

I have seldom loved as much as I did a movie this deeply flawed.

A movie that just wholesale steals a storyline from a classic (in this case Singin' in the Rain) is not bound to earn my admiration.

A movie that introduces a fatal illness for a character only to resolve it with a "just kidding" at the end is not bound to earn my admiration.

A movie festooned with utterly predictable events is not bound to earn my admiration.

But it made me laugh and it made me cry! How did such a mediocre movie do that?

I can only come up with two explanations.

One, for all his faults, Julian Fellowes has created characters whom I want to see happy, dammit! I care about these people. No matter how predictable their response to every elfin' situation. I just flat out love these people. When sad things happen to them, I sorrow. When good things happen to them, I feel joy.

Two, the actors. Because they, in their absolute mastery of their craft, also have made me care about these people. They know what to do with this drivel. Against all the odds. They take lines that ought to embarrass them (and probably do), and plot turns so predictable you can call them out loud, and make you laugh at the lines that ought not be funny and cry at the scenes that have no business making you cry. And make you want to see these characters again.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
On 6/2/2022 at 2:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

I checked the movie box office and this movie hasn't done as well (28 million) as the first one (while costing twice as much to make [40 million]) so I am concerned that this may be the end of the Downton Saga.

Now, as of mid-June, the combined US, Canada, and UK take is closing in on 60 mill. So maybe, a success?

I could write a lot about the shortcomings of the original series, but I thought the previous movie was entertaining.  With the focus on the visit of the king and queen, it seemed fresher and more interesting and it seemed to involve all the main characters.  This movie, however, was a big let down.  It seemed fragmented with some going to the south of France and some involved in the movie being filmed and none of it was very interesting.  As always someone falls for Mary and Edith barely has a few lines.  The idiocy of the staff involving themselves with the move star was unbelievable and silly. With Violet being my favorite character, her death should have made me sadder, but somehow the way it was shown seemed so fake and contrived that it left me feeling nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
On 5/29/2022 at 2:54 PM, MrsJumbo3 said:

Robert looked shockingly thin. I’ve just binged the whole series & 1st movie, & it surprised me every time he was onscreen. They should have given him the “I’m ill” story.

I immediately went to see if there was any mention of him being ill online.  The weight loss makes a drastic change to his appearance.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this streaming on Peacock today.  Was it the greatest movie ever? No, however, it did not disappoint.  It stayed true to the series.  It was just what I needed today.  Like comfort food, not the best, not necessarily nutritious, but it makes you feel good.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Since it is streaming on Prime, I bit the bullet and paid the $19.  I liked it better than the first movie, though the plots were fluffier, the first movie's "the servants are running amock trying to sabotague the King's visit" was a little off-key for me.  

Something I am not sure I am understanding (if you are in this board I assume you have seen the movie, but still marking as a spoiler just in case),

Spoiler

what is Thomas doing? He is going to be a valet and maybe more, so is Guy gay? How did he suss out that he and Thomas have that in common? Good for Thomas, but that left me confused. 

(edited)

I’m glad I didn’t pay for this last week because I was pleasantly surprised to see it on Peacock this week. Overall it’s kind of a weak, rushed effort, having to sum up all storylines at once.  But I loved the costumes except for Mary’s high neck dresses. I was actually amused by the transatlantic Singin’ in the Rain homage.  The south of France plot was ludicrous. 

5 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

Since it is streaming on Prime, I bit the bullet and paid the $19.  I liked it better than the first movie, though the plots were fluffier, the first movie's "the servants are running amock trying to sabotague the King's visit" was a little off-key for me.  

Something I am not sure I am understanding (if you are in this board I assume you have seen the movie, but still marking as a spoiler just in case),

Hide contents

what is Thomas doing? He is going to be a valet and maybe more, so is Guy gay? How did he suss out that he and Thomas have that in common? Good for Thomas, but that left me confused. 

I guess that’s what they call Gaydar. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 1

We were going to have an at-home date night on Friday.  At our age, that consists of watching a fairly recent movie on one of the streaming services.  Last I had checked, it was going to be $19.99 to view DA:ANE, but that's still a pretty cheap date, as we already had liquor in the house and we don't eat popcorn.  But I digress.

I enjoyed the movie, but I didn't love it.  Fellowes seems to throw in unlikely scenarios (e.g., locking the king's servants up in the first movie).  In this movie, there were several.

• A kitchen maid (and star-struck fan), telling her screen idol, "And it wouldn't hurt to be polite."
  • Using the lady of the house to do voice-overs for a "star" who sounded like Eliza Doolittle.
  • And doing it LIVE, rather than dubbing it in later.  (Yeah, I know - they needed to rush the production.  But how can you match lip movements in a scene that is being filmed?)
  • Providentially have to replace the entire backup cast and using the servants as understudies.

Even so, it was a pleasant evening's entertainment.  We've had the joy of visiting Highclere House, so whenever we see that pathway leading to the house and hear the theme music, my heart goes back to one of my favorite vacation memories ever.  The procession at the end of the movie was gut-wrenching for me.  I imagined myself in that line - behind the house servants - mourning the death of one of my favorite characters.  

• Love 6
On 6/27/2022 at 5:01 PM, llongori said:

Peacock Premium.  Costs 4.99 + tax to sign up for one month.

Prime is 19.99 to rent or to buy.

Thanks. I found out about Peacock elsewhere and watched for free last Friday. I think I liked the first movie better. Less scattered, more cohesion.

• Love 1

I was left wondering how Sybbie is going to afford the upkeep on the villa.  And who will live there?  I appreciated the fact that Violet thought about her future, but how will they afford it?  And Violet said that the other kids would be ok financially, so why can't they afford the new roof?

• Love 2
On 7/1/2022 at 1:51 AM, labresq said:

I was left wondering how Sybbie is going to afford the upkeep on the villa.  And who will live there?  I appreciated the fact that Violet thought about her future, but how will they afford it?  And Violet said that the other kids would be ok financially, so why can't they afford the new roof?

Tom's automotive company?  As noted by @jschoolgirl, it'll somehow survive the Depression and then sell the vehicles to the military during war?  

Rethe movie:  If this were taking place in 2022, instead of a movie, it'll be some influencer shooting their TikTok video on the property...and either Carson or Robert mulling about "crazies dancing like nonsense or making things explode" while Daisy videobombs (TikTok bombs?) the influencer with the name of her cooking channel (sorry, not on TikTok...do they call it channel or account?)...... #sorrynotsorry

• Love 2

I’m fine with Sybbie getting the villa (she can sell it and be set if it survives the war but has Bertie adopted Marigold. Why was it assumed she was all set up through Bertie but it is just Tom and Lucy’s new kids that would have a place not Sibbie?

2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I’m fine with Sybbie getting the villa (she can sell it and be set if it survives the war but has Bertie adopted Marigold. Why was it assumed she was all set up through Bertie but it is just Tom and Lucy’s new kids that would have a place not Sibbie?

I figured Marigold would be financially secure due to Michael Gregson's magazine. I'm sure Edith would leave it to her and being a print media, it stands a really decent chance of surviving the Great Depression.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Popples said:

I figured Marigold would be financially secure due to Michael Gregson's magazine. I'm sure Edith would leave it to her and being a print media, it stands a really decent chance of surviving the Great Depression.

Good point about the magazine. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Tom and Lucy’s kids will probably inherit whatever automotive business Tom starts.  

• Like 1
On 7/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Doesn't Lucy also have inheritance coming from her mother? 

Yes, Lucy was inheriting the big estate Violet was so eager should go to Robert instead. If it was big enough for her to covet, it definitely should be big enough to provide for their children.

I really enjoyed the movie, far more than the first one with the silly chase-the-man-with-the-gun action scenes (not what I tune into DA for). Everybody got a happy ending, and it seemed like a total wrap. I assumed those who participated were paid handsomely with the promise they wouldn't be asked again. I don't imagine there will be another film. If they do try to expand the franchise, I'd rather they go backward to Violet and prior Earl during Robert and Rosamund's teen years, Robert meeting Cora, the early years of their marriage with their very small children. He would have gone to war when they were all quite small. Maybe that's why footman Carson (at the time) became a father figure to Mary, etc. Carson and Elsie (not yet Mrs) Hughes in their youth! Mrs Patmore as a kitchen maid!

I frankly didn't notice Lily James' absence until somebody mentioned it here! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 7/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, kassa said:

I'd rather they go backward to Violet and prior Earl during Robert and Rosamund's teen years, Robert meeting Cora, the early years of their marriage with their very small children. He would have gone to war when they were all quite small. Maybe that's why footman Carson (at the time) became a father figure to Mary, etc. Carson and Elsie (not yet Mrs) Hughes in their youth! Mrs Patmore as a kitchen maid!

THAT is my exact dream.  Downton in full glory.  And I wouldn't mind if one of the season end travel episodes included the trip to the Russian Imperial Court where Violet met the Prince with his "yachts and thousands of acres". And that wild carriage ride through the snow.

I've always wanted a full costume drama with the Romanovs (before the fall) and combining that with Downton would be my fan dream.

• Love 6
On 6/26/2022 at 4:52 AM, HappyHanna said:
  Hide contents

Gaydar. I thought I sensed something when Barrow first brought Guy a cup of coffee or tea, but then I thought, "No way. It's impossible." Then came the scene in Barrow's room and I got a stronger sense. As someone pointed earlier, Gaydar is the simple short answer to your question. 

On 7/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, kassa said:

If they do try to expand the franchise, I'd rather they go backward to Violet and prior Earl during Robert and Rosamund's teen years, Robert meeting Cora, the early years of their marriage with their very small children. He would have gone to war when they were all quite small. Maybe that's why footman Carson (at the time) became a father figure to Mary, etc. Carson and Elsie (not yet Mrs) Hughes in their youth! Mrs Patmore as a kitchen maid!

22 hours ago, ChelleGame said:

THAT is my exact dream. 

YES! I want to see Robert meeting Cora, and Violet doing a running commentary on the relationship as it develops. I can't be the only one who wants to hear what Violet said about Cora and her family/background when Cora was not around. I think this idea works best as a mini-series as opposed to a movie. 

I'm totally okay with them recasting younger actors to play the roles. Godfather II is every bit as good as the original and DeNiro is fantastic as the young Vito Corleone. 

22 hours ago, ChelleGame said:

And I wouldn't mind if one of the season end travel episodes included the trip to the Russian Imperial Court where Violet met the Prince with his "yachts and thousands of acres". And that wild carriage ride through the snow.

I've always wanted a full costume drama with the Romanovs (before the fall) and combining that with Downton would be my fan dream.

I love this idea. I could see this working well as a movie. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/17/2022 at 1:40 AM, Hiyo said:

Downtown wouldn’t be in full glory until after Robert married Cora. The Crawley’s didn’t have much money until Cora came along…

There's still story in those years. And it's my fan dream.

A young Dowager and her marriage. I am sure there are tales to be told.  I can see it.

And didn't the Dowager reference her husband being a courtier to a prince? And they traveled quite a bit if I recall?  She said as much to Isobel.  So not "full glory" but glory in some fashion.

I'd watch it.

Edited by ChelleGame
  • Love 2

I didn't say there wasn't a story in those years. Just pointing out that until Cora comes along, they aren't exactly living a life of leisure. They had Downton, a title, and not much else.

I can't be the only one who wants to hear what Violet said about Cora and her family/background when Cora was not around

Hopefully she wouldn't come off as too much of a raging anti-Semite...

22 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I didn't say there wasn't a story in those years. Just pointing out that until Cora comes along, they aren't exactly living a life of leisure. They had Downton, a title, and not much else.

Hopefully she wouldn't come off as too much of a raging anti-Semite...

I think they certainly were living a life of leisure. It's not like Robert and Cora were going off to work in the mills when THEY faced losing Downton.  But I can't remember if it was something specific (like bad investments a la Robert), gambling or just generations of spending down capital that led them to their predicament. 

Ok, I googled. Death taxes were introduced at 8% in 1898. In 1919 they jumped to 40%!!!! which was the disaster the Crawleys were facing after Matthew (and while they didn't say so, knowing they'd get slammed again when Robert died).

Anti-semitism would certainly need to be addressed.  Not sure how delicately they could manage it. They certainly portrayed Robert as hostile/sneering to all sorts of groups, generally humorously. Violet was always presented as such a pragmatist, I can see her "getting over it" faster than anyone.  It would be interesting to see Cora have to navigate a social circle that is not welcoming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think they certainly were living a life of leisure.

Not before he married Cora. Her having money was probably one of the main reasons they got married.

It's not like Robert and Cora were going off to work in the mills when THEY faced losing Downton.

They still had enough once Robert lost the fortune on a bad business deal, but they also had to downsize, and were planning on moving into one the smaller homes on the estate that the family still owned.

This clip shows it all, especially the parts in the season 1, how some of them still think of Downton's money as "Cora's fortune", how Cora's money was tied to the entail of the estate, and Violet even reminds Robert that he married Cora for her fortune. Granted, it worked out for them in that they fell in love, because not all Dollar Princesses who married into the British peerage were that lucky.

Violet was always presented as such a pragmatist, I can see her "getting over it" faster than anyone.

Apparently in season 1 she still wasn't all that happy with Robert choosing to marry Cora.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:23 PM, ChelleGame said:

A young Dowager and her marriage. I am sure there are tales to be told.  I can see it.

I'm now sold on a prequel series focused on the Dowager as a young woman. There are clearly more stories beyond the story with the Russian. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I'm now sold on a prequel series focused on the Dowager as a young woman. There are clearly more stories beyond the story with the Russian. 

And what happened in France all those years ago.  The Dowager most certainly has been…around. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

And what happened in France all those years ago.  The Dowager most certainly has been…around. 

I’m even less interested in what happened in France. Call me crazy but shouldn’t a series called Downton Abbey take place at, oh, I don’t know, Downton Abbey?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Found this tidbit from JF.  There can never be enough costume drama on TV for me so imagining some of this is always fun.

"At the start of the show, set in 1912, we needed Violet to be about seventy. This means she was born in 1842 and would have come out in about 1860, to enjoy a few flirtations before marriage claimed her. One of the things that always fascinates me is how quick history is and how a long life goes through two or three distinct eras. The Violets of the world, who were seventy eight and very much still around in 1920, would have been young women wearing vast crinolines who visited the Paris of the Second Empire and might have been presented to the Emperor Napoleon III and the Empress Eugenie".

Downton buffs, have any favorite movies that cover some of that time period above?

Since Masterpiece hasn't had another hit of this magnitude, I wonder if Downton origin stories were ever discussed.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2022 at 6:19 AM, Sarah 103 said:

YES! I want to see Robert meeting Cora, and Violet doing a running commentary on the relationship as it develops. I can't be the only one who wants to hear what Violet said about Cora and her family/background when Cora was not around. I think this idea works best as a mini-series as opposed to a movie. 

I wonder if they’d do a “trial pilot” in his new series The Gilded Age. The new money family is very loosely based on the Vanderbilts with the daughter based on Consuela who was one of the more famous dollar princesses. They showed Newport briefly last season and are going to show it again next season and hinted about Europe as well. I kept waiting for a Levinson name drop but to perk up their ratings they could cast young Robert and Cora there and an eventual spin off series. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, BloomsburyRez said:

I kept waiting for a Levinson name drop but to perk up their ratings they could cast young Robert and Cora there and an eventual spin off series. 

I had the same thought when watching Gilded Age, but they'd have to wait a few seasons (3-4 years at least). In the first season of Gilded Age, Cora would have been about 13 or 14, so far too young to be going to balls and having a social life. 

As much as I love Downton Abbey, I am okay if this is the end for the characters and we never see the characters age. I wouldn't be opposed to going further back and seeing the characters we know and love at different points in thier lives prior to what we saw in the series and the movies. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

As much as I love Downton Abbey, I am okay if this is the end for the characters and we never see the characters age. I wouldn't be opposed to going further back and seeing the characters we know and love at different points in thier lives prior to what we saw in the series and the movies. 

Perfectly put. I so agree.

I enjoyed this movie, I feel like it really does represent the end of the series.  The Dowager is dead, and she IS Downton Abbey.  Everyone else's lives seemed all wrapped up nicely and just about everyone got a happy ending.  Cora isn't dying, Sybbie gets the house in France, Tom and Lucy are married, Daisy and Andy are married, her father-in-law Mr. Mason is out of the house and with Mrs. Patmore, Carson and Mrs. Hughes continue to be happy, Thomas is happy, Andy becomes the new butler, Edith is writing again and continues to be happy.  The only thing that didn't seem to wrap up nicely was a throwaway line that Henry telegrammed and said he would be arriving home tomorrow.

I'm happy with the way things ended.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:52 AM, HappyHanna said:

Something I am not sure I am understanding 

To me it was patently obvious as soon as we saw him that Guy is gay.  And I guess he recognised the same in Thomas.  Good for Thomas, but I've never been a fan of his.  He seems to have mellowed with age (it's been nearly 18 years in the timeline since the show began) but it still bothers me that he never got his comeuppance or his just desserts for all the nastiness that he caused in the early years of the series, with or without O'Brien.  I'm sure he knows that O'Brien caused Cora's miscarriage, and I will always be irritated that neither of them ever fessed up about this.  How can he continue to work for the family for 20 years knowing this and never telling them?  Terrible.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, bybrandy said:

Lucy is the illegitimate daughter of Lady Bagshaw but it seems clear that Lady Bagshaw treats Lucy as her heir and that Lucy will inherit her property and money.  I think the difference with Bertie and Marigold is that Bertie is married to Marigold's mother, and it's his title and fortune to do with as he pleases.  For now, Lucy doesn't have anything, and there's no guarantee that Sybbie would be included.  There could very well be a clause in Lady Bagshaw's will that says that only her direct descendants (Lucy and Lucy's biological children) can inherit her wealth.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I did not read a lot of advance or post release press about this movie... did Maggie Smith want out?  Or did Fellowes think the character was getting too old?  I know that she is 87 but she doesn't seem to show any signs of retiring.  It would be interesting to have a third movie without this major character, to me she is so much a part of the show and the glue that holds everything together.  

I don't think I would be interested in a prequel movie or series, to me the series is about the actors, I don't think I need to see younger actors playing a younger Robert and Cora... it might as well be an entirely new show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I did not read a lot of advance or post release press about this movie... did Maggie Smith want out?

Yes, she did.  I think we were also supposed to see the mirroring of Mary’s being courted but staying true to her marriage vows to Violet’s past.  Violet has made it very clear that Mary is her successor.

I can’t forgive Thomas for leading the Turk to Mary’s bedroom and will always consider her “consent” to be dubious if not downright coerced.

• Applause 1

Finally watched New Era since I have Peacock Premium, and a couple days off.  I watched the show faithfully when it was on PBS Masterpiece although the last couple of seasons, I will admit my interest had waned.  I watched the first movie on Peacock first.  Overall, I thought the first movie was better than this one.  It certainly had more of a plot.  This one suffered not only from having the cast split up into two locations,  but also from a distinct lack of the Dowager Lady Grantham.  My understanding is that Maggie Smith really didn’t want to do the films at all, but reluctantly agreed.  She was the one thing throughout the TV series that remained constant with her witty and sarcastic remarks.  This one kept her mostly in her rooms with no major scenes with anyone other than the one with Isabel and the one with Robert.  

Julian Fellowes always annoyed me with his so obvious love for Lady Mary and his disdain for Lady Edith.  Nothing new in this one on that front—Mary once again has another handsome man fall for her, and Edith barely has a few lines although at least she is back to work at the magazine. They wrapped up all the storylines now, and I don’t see any need for another movie.  Although Julian Fellowes will likely milk this cash cow for as long as he can.  In response to some comments, Matthew Goode is no more in demand as an actor than Hugh Dancy who played director, Barber, in fact maybe less so.  I have no idea what has kept him from being able to film these two movies other than perhaps a salary dispute?  I have always adored Hugh Dancy since the moment I first saw him in Ella Enchanted to Hannibal and The Path, Law & Order, etc.  I wish he had been given a larger role.  Also, DA has been the biggest ratings success for Masterpiece, but I have always gotten tired of people new to Masterpiece who came to it because of DA comparing everything to it as if it was the quintessential period piece ever!  Yes, the costumes and sets were gorgeous, but so are so many other Masterpiece productions.  My personal favorites are Poldark (the new one with Aidan Turner) and The Forsyth Saga.  This ended with everyone sort of settled.  Please, Mr. Fellowes, let this be their happy endings.

image.jpeg

Edited by lark37
Posted photo twice
  • Love 2

I enjoyed the movie and it wrapped things up nicely - not sure there’s a need for anything more.

I was hoping that Tom would call Violet “Granny” in their last scene together. But I supposed him calling her by her first name is a step up from calling her “your ladyship.” 😄

On 5/29/2022 at 10:01 PM, TimWil said:

One of the best bits IMO was when Bertie blurts out that Myrna’s working class accent was “ghastly.”

Why was the "actress" able to pull off a flawless American accent in like 3 seconds of tutoring but couldn't manage to speak "posh" at all after presumably years of time to train for that? That made no sense. The movie was pleasant, but sadly predictable in too many ways. Of course Mary would step in to voice the part. Of course the servants would get to be dressed up and play extras. Of course the Crawleys (well Granny) would inherent even more ridiculously ostentatious and unearned real-estate. Also, I never understood why the "torch" was passing to Mary now. Her father isn't that old (though the actor did look alarmingly thin). Shouldn't he be running things at least for a few more decades?

Much like a Twinkie, the movie was very sweet, comfortably familiar and unchanged, but ultimately empty of anything truly worthy.

Edited by ahpny
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ahpny said:

Also, I never understood why the "torch" was passing to Mary now. Her father isn't that old (though the actor did look alarmingly thin). Shouldn't he be running things at least for a few more decades?

If I recall correctly, Mary is the estate manager, she's been running the show for a while now, while Robert has had health issues and has previously made some very poor management decisions. I think Mary took over a lot of the day-to-day running of the estate once Matthew's money (inherited from the father of his dead fiancee) was used to save the family from financial ruin, but I may be misremembering, it's been a while since the series ended and I never really paid all that much attention to the weird, unlikely plots.

I agree with you that this film is pure bubblegum - entertaining to watch, but devoid of any substance. It also underlined just how completely Branson's character was hollowed out, his transition from fiery socialist to wealthy landowner and total sell-out is complete.

The ending of the film amused me, the Crawleys re-hiring Carson specifically so he can train Andy up to be the new butler, at the exact same moment that Andy and Daisy are talking about taking over the farm from Mr Mason - they can't do both. Even helping out on the farm as much as they have been strained credulity a bit. Farming is a full-time job. Butlering is a full-time job. If Andy takes over the farm, he can't also be Downton's new butler, yet that contradiction - and impending clash of plans - was not addressed in the film at all.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2022 at 6:43 AM, Llywela said:

If I recall correctly, Mary is the estate manager, she's been running the show for a while now, while Robert has had health issues and has previously made some very poor management decisions

You do recall correctly, and another reason it was logical to put her at the helm was because her son is the heir. Although Violet practically had to twist Robert’s arm to consent. 

On 6/25/2022 at 11:33 PM, ichbin said:

The weight loss makes a drastic change to his appearance.

His voice seemed slightly altered, too.

Given that the Crawleys have been struggling to find ways to financially maintain Downton Abbey over the years, perhaps the biggest question I had about the movie is just how the heck will Tom Branson keep the Villa up and running?   With the proceeds from his auto dealership?

I doubt Mr. Barrow will find happiness (not that he deserves it, petty bully that he was for the first couple seasons).   Maybe Hollywood Guy picks up a plaything at every film shoot, promises them the moon and then throws them away after a time.   It seems an incredible risk to take.

I was happy Mary's husband was absent.   Let's face it, every man who's not Matthew is a poor substitute and not very interesting to watch.   Hugh Dancy included.

What became of Spratt?

7 hours ago, millennium said:

I doubt Mr. Barrow will find happiness (not that he deserves it, petty bully that he was for the first couple seasons).   Maybe Hollywood Guy picks up a plaything at every film shoot, promises them the moon and then throws them away after a time.   It seems an incredible risk to take.

I think your scenario presents the bigger risk. Unlesss Hollywood guy has an absolute fortune, that would an awful lot of people running around who could destroy his life and career with the secret of his homosexuality. Unless he could afford to pay blackmail/hush money to every plaything he's discarded, I doubt this is something he does all the time.