Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Thank you for justifying me not picking this up. I'll keep up with the TV series adaptation as it seems to be trying to cut some stuff out of the books.

TV adaptation? Are you in UK? Where could please I find them? Thank you. 

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

TV adaptation? Are you in UK? Where could please I find them? Thank you. 

In the US, it's called C.B. Strike for some reason.  I guess maybe because there was another TV show called Strike out around that time?

11 hours ago, GaT said:

Picking it up is hard at 944 pages, I have trouble holding it to read LOL 

The ebook version came to me a few days ago and I had to decide whether or not I'd download it or wait for the hard cover version to come.  I prefer hard cover versions so I postponed the ebook version.  I figure I can read the hard cover version and when I run out of time with that loan, I'll get the ebook version so I can finish the book. 

Maybe I should have gotten the ebook version if I'm going to get carpal tunnel from the printed version.

• Love 1

I'm reading Asta's Book by Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell's pen name).  I started it right after I ditched Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jaime Ford, which I didn't like.

I didn't know anything about the author,  maybe someone here mentioned her. But this book is so good, very hard to put down.  

I had been reading a lot of crime/mystery and was ready to move on (hence the Jaime Ford  book) but I"m glad I had this on my shelf and I'll definitely read more Barbara Vine.

Since she was a very prolific writer under both her names, I'll probably venture out into more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah they are a tv series called Strike.  in the UK they were on BBC One and in the US on Cinemax.  Here is the Wikipedia entry about the tv series:

Thank you. I don’t have Cinemax, a pay for subscription. I’d like to see it, but don’t want another $15 to my cable bill (monthly) for this one series. Then again, would it be worth it if I added it for 3 months to see this series? Wow. I just checked and it’s only $9.99 so I’ve added it, and may cancel when I’m done. I appreciate the information about it. 

2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

and Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell which I wasn’t crazy about.

The title sounded intriguing so I looked it up to read the synopsis and OMG I just can't deal with those character names. It made it seem like trying way too hard. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, tres bien said:

I'm reading Asta's Book by Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell's pen name).  I started it right after I ditched Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jaime Ford, which I didn't like.

I didn't know anything about the author,  maybe someone here mentioned her. But this book is so good, very hard to put down.  

I had been reading a lot of crime/mystery and was ready to move on (hence the Jaime Ford  book) but I"m glad I had this on my shelf and I'll definitely read more Barbara Vine.

Since she was a very prolific writer under both her names, I'll probably venture out into more.

I love Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford books, she's a great mystery writer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2020 at 11:28 PM, theatremouse said:

That's interesting because I had the opposite experience - with regard to the "figuring it out" bit.

Same. I figured out almost immediately who the guilty person was in One of Us is Next. However, like One of Us is Lying I didn't predict 

Spoiler

the younger brother being involved, similar to how I didn't predict Addie's douchebag/abusive boyfriend being involved in Simon's plan. Like yes, I knew he was an abusive shit, but I thought that part of the first book took it slightly over the top. Similar actually to the little brother being involved in One of Us is Next. 

On 10/13/2020 at 4:16 PM, GaT said:

and both Strike & Robin not knowing what the other one is thinking.

Still...really? She's still dragging that shit out? I guess J.K. still hasn't improved in the writing romance department. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:12 AM, GaT said:

Finally passed the halfway mark in Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. I'm starting to really dislike these characters. 

Luckily I got there by the second book, which is why I bailed out on the series and haven't looked back since. 

Just completed Frankly In Love by David Yoon. I really enjoyed it, particularly the focus on social identity, culture and heritage and what that all means to every different person. And I really liked Frank, which is a big part of whether or not I enjoy a book - i.e. how much I like the main character. 

That said, for a book with love in the title and focused heavily on the main character's love life, I found I didn't really like either love interest that much. 

Spoiler

I found Brit kind of clingy and a little too eager. Now to be fair, I'm an introvert who even in romantic relationships, likes a certain amount of space and freedom. She was just too all in too fast for my liking. Joy was cool but had an undertone of bitchiness and indifference to her that I didn't find too enjoyable. Also, Q's being gay and into Frank was like the most glaring, hit you over the head obvious reveal ever. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
On 10/17/2020 at 8:01 AM, tres bien said:

Ruth Rendell (Barbara Vine) was a wonderful writer. I've read all her books (Rendell and Vine). Loved them all, some more than others. For me her last books weren't as good but overall a great body of work.

Her Vine books are more psychological and are some of my all time favorite books. I envy you getting to read them for the first time.

• Love 3
On 10/17/2020 at 9:48 AM, Madding crowd said:

Just read Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam ( very good) and Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell which I wasn’t crazy about. 

Aw. I have Invisible Girl on hold at the e-library and it did sound good. I may still give it a whirl.

I'm reading The Glass House by Beatrice Colin, about 2/3 done and really enjoying it.  It has a Downton Abbey-esque feel to it.  Pre WWI Scotland, Antonia is struggling to hold on to her family's estate when her SIL Cicely (whom she's never heard of) shows up on the doorstep, having traveled from India.  Both women are wary, and both have secrets.  The narrative alternates between the two characters.  It's a short book, only about 250 pages but filled with lovely descriptions of both countries.  I'm anxious to see how this ends.

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 3
On 10/15/2020 at 6:23 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Because it's nearly Halloween I picked up Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger at the library. I enjoyed Fingersmith and The Paying Guests, Waters wields a mighty pen.

I love that book. It's the kind you think about for days, even weeks after you finish it.

• Love 2
On 10/17/2020 at 8:01 AM, tres bien said:

One of my all-time favorite novels by one of my all-time favorite writers.  I'm so glad you referred to as Asta's Book, the original UK title, and not the edited US title, Anna's Book.  It just doesn't get much better than Rendell/Vine.  I've read A Dark-Adapted Eye by BV three times now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:23 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Because it's nearly Halloween I picked up Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger at the library. I enjoyed Fingersmith and The Paying Guests, Waters wields a mighty pen.

I thought The Little Stranger was excellent, and very atmospheric.  Perfect for the season.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:01 AM, tres bien said:

I prefer Rendell's books under the Barbara Vine pen name.  I read this one with the US title, and loved it.  A Dark-Adapted Eye is also terrific, and I'd seriously recommend The Blood Doctor, too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I finished Alice Hoffman's Magic Lessons and absolutely loved it.  It is, chronologically, the first of the Practical Magic books and is the first one I've read (I remember seeing the Practical Magic movie when it was released, but remember very little about it).  My plan was to continue reading the books chronologically, but I'm not willing to wait a year or so to see where the 4th one falls, so I'm just going to continue onto Rules of Magic in the near future and hope that the 4th books takes place in the present day.

To keep the Spooky Season going (I started with Mexican Gothic before reading Magic Lessons), I started Simone St. James's The Broken Girls.  I'm only a few chapters in, but it definitely looks like it will fit the bill.

• Useful 1

Just finished: The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell, which is a sort of coming-of-age story about a bunch of teenagers (and their parents) that live in apartment complexes that all back up to a private garden, where most of the action takes place. I remember seeing some reviews saying that the ending felt out of nowhere, but I disagree.

Spoiler

It's obvious from the get-go that Tyler is jealous of Dylan's relationship with Grace, and while I was never suspicious of Catkin or Fern, it makes sense that they would form unhealthy attachments to friends given their upbringing. Put that together with Tyler thinking Leo is her father (and becoming a de-facto fourth sister to the Howes girls), I thought it all came together quite well.

Also! This book had a map outlining the layout of the garden at the very beginning, which I found super helpful! More non-fantasy books should do maps at the front when their setting is important to the plot, especially if it's particularly contained. I struggled through a lot of Megan Miranda's The Last House Guest because I couldn't remember where all the homes were in relation to each other.

Next up: Sticking with Lisa Jewell and getting into her latest one, Invisible Girl.

I'm still on hold at the library for One by One by Ruth Ware and The Guest List by Lucy Foley.  I've read everything written by Agatha Christie and I'm always on the lookout for books like hers.  I read An Unwanted Guest by Shari LaPena and I remember not being that impressed.  I'm looking for books that are similar to "And Then There Were None" but as I may have mentioned before, I'm generally not a fan of the psychological thriller / woman in jeopardy type book that I think these authors are generally known for.  Any suggestions?

Perchance are there any ATTWN-like mysteries written by male authors with a male protagonist?  I read The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and remember we discussed it here... I see the author has a new book coming out called The Devil and Dark Water but after the weirdness of his first book I'm hesitant to give him another try.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm still on hold at the library for One by One by Ruth Ware and The Guest List by Lucy Foley.  I've read everything written by Agatha Christie and I'm always on the lookout for books like hers.  I read An Unwanted Guest by Shari LaPena and I remember not being that impressed.  I'm looking for books that are similar to "And Then There Were None" but as I may have mentioned before, I'm generally not a fan of the psychological thriller / woman in jeopardy type book that I think these authors are generally known for.  Any suggestions?

Perchance are there any ATTWN-like mysteries written by male authors with a male protagonist?  I read The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and remember we discussed it here... I see the author has a new book coming out called The Devil and Dark Water but after the weirdness of his first book I'm hesitant to give him another try.

I really liked The Guest List and thought One by One was okay.   I’ve never liked any of Shari LaPena’s books but keep reading them.  

• Love 2
22 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm looking for books that are similar to "And Then There Were None" but as I may have mentioned before, I'm generally not a fan of the psychological thriller / woman in jeopardy type book that I think these authors are generally known for.  Any suggestions?

I love horror or mystery books set in isolated locations or confined spaces. BookRiot recently had an article suggesting books like And Then There Were None. Of those they list, I thought The Guest List was decent (much better than Foley's earlier effort The Hunting Party anyway), Six Wakes was fun, and An Unwanted Guest was disappointing. Most of the reviews I've seen for They All Fall Down haven't been very positive, but I still want to read it and the others on the list.

I recently started reading In the Dark by Loreth Anne White (free to read if you have Amazon Prime) which also has an ATTWN-like set-up. I haven't been impressed by the writing so far, but I'm only about 20+ pages in.

• Love 2

I've been re-reading the Ramona series, by Beverly Cleary.  It's the first time I've read these books since I was in grade school, but I'm surprised by how well they hold up.  There are some dated references in there, but the emotions are timeless.  B.C. really knew what it was like to be a kid, especially the youngest kid in the family, which is what I was.  Highly recommend, even if you don't have kids to read them to (I don't).

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Everina said:

I've been re-reading the Ramona series, by Beverly Cleary.  It's the first time I've read these books since I was in grade school, but I'm surprised by how well they hold up.  There are some dated references in there, but the emotions are timeless.  B.C. really knew what it was like to be a kid, especially the youngest kid in the family, which is what I was.  Highly recommend, even if you don't have kids to read them to (I don't).

I loved the Ramona books as a kid, and didn't realize until much later how old they actually were!

I'm reading one of Patrick Taylor's Irish country Doctor books, but I finally got Gods of Jade and Shadow from interlibrary loan!

• Love 1

I finished The Haunting of Brynn Wilder by Wendy Webb yesterday, as my free October Kindle First Read. It was ok. Nothing I'd rave about but entertaining enough. Then I saw in the author's afterward that it was kind of a sequel to another book, Daughters of the Lake which sounded really familiar. Sure enough, it was another First Read that I hadn't gotten around to reading so I read it yesterday as well. I liked it more. Both were supposed to be spooky books but weren't really that creepy- which is fine by me because I am a wuss who scares easily! 

I think I might start The Inheritance Games next, or maybe see if I can track down Mexican Gothic since so many here are reading it.

• Love 2

I'm currently reading Peace Talks by Jim Butcher. After waiting 6 years for this book I am underwhelmed. This is what you write when you have no stories to write. I have the next book, Battle Ground, in my to-be-read pile, but after that, I may be done with this series.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, krankydoodle said:

I love horror or mystery books set in isolated locations or confined spaces. BookRiot recently had an article suggesting books like And Then There Were None. Of those they list, I thought The Guest List was decent (much better than Foley's earlier effort The Hunting Party anyway), Six Wakes was fun, and An Unwanted Guest was disappointing. Most of the reviews I've seen for They All Fall Down haven't been very positive, but I still want to read it and the others on the list.

I recently started reading In the Dark by Loreth Anne White (free to read if you have Amazon Prime) which also has an ATTWN-like set-up. I haven't been impressed by the writing so far, but I'm only about 20+ pages in.

Wow, this list looks great!  Thanks so much!  The "Agatha Christie in space" book sounds especially fun.

• Love 2

I finished The Broken Girls by Simone St. James last night and enjoyed it even more than her most recent novel, The Sun Down Motel.  It isn't exactly horror, but it is a ghost story and incredibly creepy.  I kind of wish I had waited to finish in the morning...

I then read a new short story from Jennifer Weiner, who I love, called Dog People, and it was horrible.  Ugh!  It's rare that I wish I hadn't read something...

I'm starting Hazel Gaynor's new book When We Were Young and Brave today.  Apparently it is about Girl Guides during WWII and, being a Girl Scout troop leader, I'm looking forward to this one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I then read a new short story from Jennifer Weiner, who I love, called Dog People, and it was horrible.  Ugh!  It's rare that I wish I hadn't read something...

Sorry if it's bad form to ask, but would you mind sharing what happens at the end? I don't really have any interest in reading the book but checked Goodreads and Amazon out of curiosity and was surprised by how low the rating is, especially for a well-known author whose work is usually pretty popular, and so many of the reviews mention the ending that I'd love to know what happens that's so divisive. The plot summary already makes the story sound kind of odd.

Edited by krankydoodle
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

Sorry if it's bad form to ask, but would you mind sharing what happens at the end? I don't really have any interest in reading the book but checked Goodreads and Amazon out of curiosity and was surprised by how low the rating is, especially for a well-known author whose work is usually pretty popular, and so many of the reviews mention the ending that I'd love to know what happens that's so divisive. The plot summary already makes the story sound kind of odd.

Spoiler

Well, it's a not terribly interesting story about a guy who becomes a dog person once he and his wife are empty nesters.  The wife dies and he takes up with another woman and he doesn't like how she treats the dog--she does not treat the dog badly in any way, she just doesn't interact with it the way his wife did.  And it drives him crazy.  And it seems clear that he's building up to kill the woman, but he kills the dog.  

The story was not that interesting, but it was such a badly executed bait and switch that I felt really pissed that I spent 30 minutes reading it.  AND THE DOG WAS KILLED!

• Useful 2
On 10/24/2020 at 3:34 PM, Everina said:

My daughter has read some of the Ramona books. I really do love reliving my book youth through my children. In addition to Ramona, I've recommended to them Harriet the Spy, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Matilda, The Witches. My son is starting on Watership Down. I reread them myself, too. These "children's" books are just as magical now that I'm, er, older as they were when I was 10, 11 years old.

• Love 3

The sequel to Harriet the Spy, The Long Summer, is also really fun.

I loved From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I remember going to the Met not long after reading it and being SO disappointed that the angel statue wasn't real. (Spoiler!) The information person said they were asked that all the time, and it kind of bummed them out to crush so many kids, heh.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The sequel to Harriet the Spy, The Long Summer, is also really fun.

I loved From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I remember going to the Met not long after reading it and being SO disappointed that the angel statue wasn't real. (Spoiler!) The information person said they were asked that all the time, and it kind of bummed them out to crush so many kids, heh.

The obvious solution is to commission the statue for real. 

• Love 2
On 10/24/2020 at 9:10 AM, krankydoodle said:

I'm currently reading One By One and I'm liking it better than Ruth Ware's last book. The Guest List was good. They All Fall Down was terrible, I hated the main character. I finished it but I couldn't tell you what happened in the end because I stopped caring. I wasn't too impressed with An Unwanted Guest (I also didn't care for The Couple Next Door) so I don't believe I'll read another Shari Lapena book.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, krankydoodle said:

Thanks for share. I'm really in a horror mood lately )

The last horror novel I've read is Brian Evenson: Last Days - Batshit crazy, weirdly funny

• Love 1

I LOVE Ramona The Pest! It was the only "reading for pleasure" book I grabbed when I went to India for three months during the school year when I was in fifth grade! I read it back to back so many times, all the corners got dog-eared. I was devastated that I'd left it behind at my father's childhood home. Then I read all the Ramona books after that.

Also part of my childhood reading was The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew (weren't these a "goes without saying" for those of us who were kids in the 70s?), Encyclopedia Brown, and of course the over 100 different stories from Amar Chitra Katha that I brought home with me. All of which my mum gave away because I spent more time rereading them instead of my school work! Boo!

I was verrrry angry with my mum for a loooong time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 12:20 PM, peacheslatour said:

All I remember is the super cute outfits they wore.

Well, that and how fantastic Nicole Kidman's hair was back then.  And how hot Goran Visnjic was.  (Okay, I confess, I recently rewatched the movie - still love it, and he's still smoking hot.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Troubled Blood came in for me at the library and I picked it up today.  Hoo boy there's quite a difference between knowing a book is 944 pages and actually seeing a book of 944 pages.

LOL, never mind seeing, carting it around is what got me. Even just holding it to read gets hard after a while.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Troubled Blood came in for me at the library and I picked it up today.  Hoo boy there's quite a difference between knowing a book is 944 pages and actually seeing a book of 944 pages.

Not a fan of epic fantasy, huh?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Not a fan of epic fantasy, huh?

Nope and it's times like these that make me grateful for that because I couldn't do it without straining something.

7 hours ago, GaT said:

LOL, never mind seeing, carting it around is what got me. Even just holding it to read gets hard after a while.

Yeah. I pushed off getting the ebook version (I put a hold on both) because I prefer print but I'm thinking I might regret that--not that I want to read a 1000 page book on my phone either. 

• Love 2

I finished When We Were Young and Brave by Hazel Gaynor.  It features a troop of Girl Guides at a mission school in China who are moved to an internment camp during WWII and now I will quit complaining about having to run my daughter's Girl Scout Troop meetings over zoom....

It was pretty good, but could have been better.  The biggest frustration is that it is a book that is told through alternating viewpoints and there was no difference between the two narrating voices.  Sigh.

Today I'm starting The Mountains Wild by Sarah Stewart Taylor.  I don't know much about it except a number of my Goodreads friends read it and gave it 5 stars.  We'll see!

• Love 2

The Neverending Story. I used to read this a lot when I was younger, but I don't think I'd touched it in 20 years before last week. It doesn't quite move me like it did, and I find there's kind of... less in there than I used to see. But it's still readable. The first half is a decent enough fantasy adventure, but the second half really goes off the rails. Our protagonist becomes rather unsympathetic, before being torn down and having to find himself again. A bold choice.

But what I find interesting is that Michael Ende seemed to be influenced by CS Lewis. YA portal fantasy, a kind of place between places, a magical lion, talking animals, and just plain assorted weirdness. Anyone know if he spoke about it, or am I seeing connections where they don't really exist?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So glad I found this topic!  I love to read!!

Just finished a pair of zombie novels on Kindle that were pretty good for self-published:  Walking with the Dead and Home with the Dead.  Also finished Once Gone by Blake Pierce that I didn't really care for, The Hive by Barry Lyga and Come Closer by Sara Gran, both of which were great.

I just started Afterland by Lauren Beukes.  Another dystopian/post-apocalyptic book, which are my favorites.

• Love 2