Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Tom Foolery

• Start Topic

Captain Glenn is back on board Parsifal III, sailing the Balearic Island of Menorca with some familiar faces - Daisy, Gary, and Colin. New to the team, Chef Marcos knows he has to prove to Daisy that he has what it takes to make this season memorable for the guests. Gary claims to be a new man after learning from his mistakes onboard last season, but can he keep his eyes… and hands off the new hot stew Ashley? Managing his two new deckhands, Kelsie and Tom, becomes a difficult task for Gary when a wild night of drinking leads everyone to question if they will be man down for the first charter. Daisy too has her hands full as both her new stews Ashley and Gabriela immediately vie for that coveted second stew position. Ashley sets out on a mission to prove herself while Gabriela thwarts an inappropriate charter guest.

Airdate: 02/21/2022

Glen tells them not to get drunk on the deck and they proceeded to do just that. They are already acting like a bunch of drunk college kids. Ashley is going to be trouble. She meets these guys a few hours ago and she is already throwing herself at Gary and making out with him. Is this normal behavior for the first day on a job?  I keep thinking after each season of the Below Deck shows that things can't get any worse but they keep proving me wrong. 

• Love 13

Wow....that primary charter guest?  WTF????  Completely inappropriate behavior.

Well, we've already had several inappropriate situations in the first episode - one from the primary charter guest and all the rest from Ashley.  What is wrong with that girl besides being just a tad aggressive?  I don't like her already, and mostly because she made me feel bad for Gary, who was giving a very half-hearted, half-assed try at being a nice guy.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Ok, for real - what is it about Gary that CLEARLY doesn’t translate to tv that seems to make him irresistible to women?  I do not get it, at all.

I wish I could explain it to you but fortunately, I don't get it either. Capt. Glenn is more attractive than Gary and that's setting the bar really low. Gary is beyond unattractive.  Nothing sexy about him. His personality is a zero too. 

I'm getting a strong impression that this season (like most) is producer driven. From Capt. Glenn suddenly going from the Capt. that was mellow and stayed out of the crew's messy b.s. to the new Capt. Glenn who is all into their business and is much more outgoing.

I will watch just to see how good this chef is supposed to be.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Nice move by the crew, pissing off the captain night one.  Then Tom kicks it up a notch.

Chef's food looks absolutely amazing.  He's very stable, so far.  Having to make more food didn't phase him at all.

I always love to see what amazing food the chefs put out.

• Love 9

Who consumes more booze, the charter guests or the cast?

Don’t know when they filmed this, maybe not too long after last season?  Daisy said she didn’t work any other boats since season 2.

On a real charter yacht, would they let the crew binge drink from the yacht’s provisions?  But this is BD so it doesn’t matter if the crew isn’t finished prepping the boat for a charter next day, time for drinking and filming the drunken action!

Young deckhand guy says just because he’s young doesn’t mean he doesn’t know what he’s doing.  Proceeds to drink too much and puke all over the cabin bathroom that he shares with the captain.

Ashley the busty young stewardess says Gary is in her age range.  Says she was always a go getter in school and so on.  She wasn’t happy not getting second stew over the other newbie stew.

Wondered about a food truck guy, whether he’d have the goods.  Well the food looked great and it sounded like it was fire.  Those charter guests asked for more appetizers but the first set, they were gulping them down in one bite.

Gabriela probably handled that creepy guest much better than Ashley would have.  But she shouldn’t have even talked about liking both men and women.  Just led to the guy asking more invasive questions.

Glen has no control.  He must need this gig, because producers have made this into a binge-drinking/hookup circus.

That means letting whichever drunks Bravo casts to do it all over his boat.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, aghst said:

Ashley the busty young stewardess

She was just on WWHL. She was telling Andy that she's used to guys commenting on her breasts. They looked fake to me but very well done for fakes.

I'm no expert but after 32 years of living in Orange County CA, I've gotten quite good at winning that guessing game.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm getting a strong impression that this season (like most) is producer driven. From Capt. Glenn suddenly going from the Capt. that was mellow and stayed out of the crew's messy b.s. to the new Capt. Glenn who is all into their business and is much more outgoing

It could be producers. But after almost having a deck hand throw up all over him and his bed I can't blame him for shutting that shit down. They have work the next day. Idk how any of them function. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, aghst said:

Gabriela probably handled that creepy guest much better than Ashley would have.  But she shouldn’t have even talked about liking both men and women.  Just led to the guy asking more invasive questions.

I thought so too because that guest wants to know all the secrets while giving none of his own and Ashley played right in to it.  The one thing I thought was interesting was as fluid as she is she said she was not into anyone on the crew and I don't blame her.  Maybe it is just me but they have never had an attractive crew on that boat.

The chef has amazing skills, he is being added to my fantasy boat crew.  Look out Rachel! LOL.

Capt. Glenn should tell Gary that he and drunky boy have to swap cabins. No way Glenn should share a cabin with Tom, he really disrespected directives to not get drunk on board then totally disrespected the bathroom.

These people get on the boat, say hello and immediately have to size the others up for romantic interests, why not get to know the others before you make out with someone you have to work with for 6 weeks, Gary is no prize but the ladies love him because they don't know him. 

• Love 12

I have a feeling that some of the crew members think that getting a shot at a reality TV show will turn them into social media stars. And they know that getting drunk and hooking up with a crew member gets them more screen time. But how many of these people go on to  other TV gigs? They are pretty much one and done. Thankfully they disappear after the season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Gary is so beyond creepy and unattractive it makes no sense.  

Daisy's attitude is infuriating from the get-go.  I might be calling producer-scripted on that, it's not the way for a leader to behave.  She's also homely.  There.  I said it.

As far as producer-driven, I'm also seeing it elsewhere.  There's no way the Captain has no say in being roomed with the most child-like newbies of the crew.  They HAVE to have paid him extra for that nonsense (Also:  I KNOW the boat's small, I know it seems normal to everyone else, I know it's the same as the last few times; but I will never understand the Captain having to room with a crew member.  I know nothing about this boat on this business or any charter, but that still seems special in order to create weirdness for this show.)

There is NO WAY everyone behaves like such garbage right away without being told to do so. 

Ashley's immediate hookup was more just boring than anything else.

I actually missed the guests showing up because we had to switch over to Gilded Age.  I very much hope there's literally no chef drama at all.  That would be nice and normal.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Lassus said:

Gary is so beyond creepy and unattractive it makes no sense.  

Daisy's attitude is infuriating from the get-go.  I might be calling producer-scripted on that, it's not he way for a leader to behave.  She's also homely.  There.  I said it.

As far as producer-driven, I'm also seeing it elsewhere.  There's no way the Captain has no say in being roomed with the most child-like newbies of the crew.  They HAVE to have paid him extra for that nonsense (Also:  I KNOW the boat's small, I know it seems normal to everyone else, I know it's the same as the last few times; but I will never understand the Captain having to room with a crew member.  I know nothing about this boat on this business or any charter, but that still seems special in order to create weirdness for this show.)

There is NO WAY everyone behaves like such garbage right away without being told to do so. 

Ashley's immediate hookup was more just boring than anything else.

I actually missed the guess showing up because we had to switch over to Gilded Age.  I very much hope there's literally no chef drama at all.  That would be nice and normal.

There's a point you're missing here : it's SAILING, not Motor Yachting... Two different worlds, different people/industry and, mostly, different vibes.

• Love 6

Meh, I must be easy to please because I like the cast and and enjoyed the first episode. Glen is my favorite of all the Captains and I find the addition of sailing to be interesting.  Plus, Menorca!  Scenery so needed on a dreary February day in Michigan.

Ashley reminds me of Sydney and it appears she modeled her season antics after her. I don't believe that producers goaded her into action, there are girls this aggressive everywhere. 

There really does have to be something about Gary. Some people do just have that extra oomph that doesn't translate on film, And, I give him credit, he really did try to dissuade Ashley.

I love that both Colin, Daisy & Gary are back and it's cute how much they enjoy working for Captain Glen. 

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

There's a point you're missing here : it's SAILING, not Motor Yachting... Two different worlds, different people/industry and, mostly, different vibes.

I don't understand what I misidentified or misunderstood that you're referring to here.  

1 hour ago, Lassus said:

I don't understand what I misidentified or misunderstood that you're referring to here.  

Mainly this (sorry, I should have quoted it) :
"As far as producer-driven, I'm also seeing it elsewhere.  There's no way the Captain has no say in being roomed with the most child-like newbies of the crew.  They HAVE to have paid him extra for that nonsense (Also:  I KNOW the boat's small, I know it seems normal to everyone else, I know it's the same as the last few times; but I will never understand the Captain having to room with a crew member.  I know nothing about this boat on this business or any charter, but that still seems special in order to create weirdness for this show.)"

• Love 1

I thought the Primary was way out of line and surprised she even answered his sexual questions to the point she did.  He was very creepy and I felt for her being alone with him or at least in a part of the boat no other crew members were near by.  I can only imagine what his wife thinks now that she has seen the footage of what her husband was up to when she went to bed.  And it was totally creepy when he descripted his dick.......ewwwww.

Let the drunken games begin!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, gaPeach said:

I thought the Primary was way out of line and surprised she even answered his sexual questions to the point she did.  He was very creepy and I felt for her being alone with him or at least in a part of the boat no other crew members were near by.  I can only imagine what his wife thinks now that she has seen the footage of what her husband was up to when she went to bed.  And it was totally creepy when he descripted his dick.......ewwwww.

Let the drunken games begin!

I seriously thought I heard him say he does not like women...did I imagine that?

• Love 8

I seriously thought I heard him say he does not like women...did I imagine that?

I did not hear that but he blurted out he had a small dingle berry right after she said she liked women and men.  I thought he did it to show he was not too much man and with his small dick almost a woman?  I don't know it might be me but 100% of people I just meet do not know my sexual preferences.  Especially people I am working for......just me?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, gaPeach said:

I did not hear that but he blurted out he had a small dingle berry right after she said she liked women and men.  I thought he did it to show he was not too much man and with his small dick almost a woman?  I don't know it might be me but 100% of people I just meet do not know my sexual preferences.  Especially people I am working for......just me?

I do not understand why she answered him, why give him more of a reason to talk to her?  Maybe she said it to get more screen time, that guy was creepy, maybe she was unnerved by him?

• Love 3

(Also:  I KNOW the boat's small, I know it seems normal to everyone else, I know it's the same as the last few times; but I will never understand the Captain having to room with a crew member.  I know nothing about this boat on this business or any charter, but that still seems special in order to create weirdness for this show.)

I don't get this either. Captains usually have their own rooms. Maybe there isn't a Captain's room on the sailing yacht, but I also suspect there is actually a shadow Captain they don't show on camera and he gets the Captain's room. I also don't get why the Captain would have to share a cabin with the lowest ranked deck hand. Why doesn't he room with Colin or Gary? This is clearly manipulated for drama.

It looked like Tom sleeps Winnie The Pooh style (shirt, no pants). Also, the way he constantly preens for the camera shows he's definitely ready for his close-up. 

Hard to believe Gary is back or that Glenn thinks so highly of him. I'm glad Colin is back though, and the new chef looks promising.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

He did say it. So odd that he was still harassing her that way. Maybe he was trying to be on foe the show and it's just not his way so he said odd stuff. Or he is just an odd creep.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It looked like Tom sleeps Winnie The Pooh style (shirt, no pants)

They certainly were blurring his nether areas. But I thought I also saw some black and white shorts of some sort. Maybe he was "hanging out"?

• Love 7

This used to be my least fave in the BD family, but after this last worst ever season of BD I’m ready for it   Im glad Daisy and Colin are back. Gary not so much. He really annoyed me last year. 

So did Ashley watch season 2 and decide that being Sydney 2 would get her more screen time? She was cringe worthy as was that guest harassing the other stew who was truly disgusting. At least Gary might have learned from last year that hooking up on first charter is not a good idea - still find him silly though. 

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I also suspect there is actually a shadow Captain they don't show on camera and he gets the Captain's room

Well, while I think the rooming is producer-driven, there's no way there's a secret shadow captain with a single room.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

"As far as producer-driven, I'm also seeing it elsewhere.  There's no way the Captain has no say in being roomed with the most child-like newbies of the crew.  They HAVE to have paid him extra for that nonsense (Also:  I KNOW the boat's small, I know it seems normal to everyone else, I know it's the same as the last few times; but I will never understand the Captain having to room with a crew member.  I know nothing about this boat on this business or any charter, but that still seems special in order to create weirdness for this show.)"

I mean, sure.  I admitted it may be borne out of ignorance of anything involving boating.  It's just that even with that caveat it seems questionable.

6 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

It could be producers. But after almost having a deck hand throw up all over him and his bed I can't blame him for shutting that shit down. They have work the next day. Idk how any of them function. 

Tom didn’t actually throw up in the bed or in Glen. He fortunately desecrated the bathroom instead. Glen was on WWHL and said he had to have Tom go back and clean the bathroom 3 or 4 times to get it right.

He also said he has had to crack down on the crew’s drunken parties in past seasons but that never got shown. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

Glen was on WWHL and said he had to have Tom go back and clean the bathroom 3 or 4 times to get it right.

I sorta wish he had woken up Tom in the dining hall the next morning and said "Hey.  Feeling OK?  Why don't you get up and pack.  You're fired."  (It would have been justified, IMO.)

EDIT: Just to clarify, in my fantasy alternate BDSY universe, Glenn still does this in the calmest, politest, non-confrontational, non-dickish, I-kinda-feel-sorry-for-you-but-too-bad way.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 7
On 2/21/2022 at 9:16 PM, TexasGal said:

Ok, for real - what is it about Gary that CLEARLY doesn’t translate to tv that seems to make him irresistible to women?  I do not get it, at all.

As Ashley said in the show after, "I think it's the man bun." He also portrays this feral, tarzan like portrait. Half sailor, half pirate. Personally, I think he's an immature punk, that's totally full of himself. My wife described him as "repulsive" . What's next, a loin cloth?

He also talked a good game about not hooking up on the first day, but threw it out the window pretty soon. That guy is an STD waiting to happen. Did he actually have the nerve to announce that he was not flirting? He totally did when first meeting Ashley and they were talking about age (while Tom was present). It was very 8th grade.

15 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

You are 100% correct Baltimore Betty, I heard it too.

Let me finish my post with a comment about Tom turning Glenn's bathroom into a Romanesque vomitorium. Glenn is already losing control of his crew....again. I guess this is just going to be par for the course. Could you imagine Capt. Lee ever agreeing to share a cabin and then tolerating this behavior? Tom should have cleaned that bathroom the next day to a level that you could perform surgery there... if nothing else but as a gesture of respect and apology to the skipper. He did a half assed job, which I'm afraid will be a harbinger of his work ethic to come. And Bravo, as others have begged.... ENOUGH... with the vomit sound bytes. They're overly long and any comedic value they may have had was lost seasons ago.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, aghst said:

Did Gary have a man bun last season?

My first thought was "yes," but then I realized that it was Colin who had one (and it works well on him). I think Gary had "flowing tresses" last season.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, dleighg said:

My first thought was "yes," but then I realized that it was Colin who had one (and it works well on him). I think Gary had "flowing tresses" last season.

He did have the half-down, part man bun last season. I remember this only because one of the female guests was behind him *petting his hair* when he was either driving the boat or helping.  I remember this because his hair looked beyond greasy and the female guest was petting all over it. Yuck 🤮 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The one quality I like in Gary is that he doesn't take himself too seriously/can laugh at himself.  I also feel that if Colin and Glenn like him, there must be things that don't come across on screen (Well, I haven't seen him make boneheaded boating mistakes either).  Not enough for me to find him attractive, but he's not as downright awful as some past crew on various iterations of BD.

The thing I don't get is why all those drawers, etc. don't have latches on them/counters and stuff don't have railings/etc.  I know some things (and guests) are going to go flying, but this seems like entirely too many things, every time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I'm glad to see Daisy, Colin and Glen back this season.  Gary, not so much, especially if he's up to his usual slimey-ness.  He scored a few points helping with the dishes and somewhat trying to fend off a first night tryst with Ashley.

I think the chef should have roomed with the Captain.  That would seem to be a better fit.  

I also am appalled at the primary being inappropriate with Gabriella.  I think she handled it well, especially considering you have to be friendly for the tip, but cutting off the inappropriate banter quickly.  I think he drank too much and made an ass of himself- hopefully he is not like that IRL.

• Love 6

Is this an episode of BDSY?  I thought it was an episode of that new show BDPTYP (Below Deck: Party ‘Til You Puke).

This is Season 3 of BDSY.  Season 3.  Not 1, not 2, but 3.  And it’s still a surprise when under sail the ship leans to one side or the other?  Please.

Daisy:  She’s the quintessential Irish sailor.  Able to get into trouble in a heartbeat and get out of it the next.  Looking forward to her in this season.

Gary:  Ah, you were such an A-hole in previous seasons, my level of expectation hasn’t improved.  We’ll see.  Your man-bun is as annoying as ever.

Colin:  Relatively level-headed in past seasons.  Relatively.

Marcos:  You are new and already I don’t like you.  Personally, I think you’re a phony.  Look forward to you proving me wrong.  Food truck?  One-hit wonder.

Gabriela:  You’ve got spunk.  I like you already.

Kelsie: We’ll see.  So far it looks like a stiff wind would blow you overboard.

Tom: They need a deckhand, not a pen!s.  Given your alcohol consumption and reaction to same, I don’t think you’ll last the season.

Ashley: You left your webcam job for *this*?  At least you won’t drown – you brought your own built-in life preservers.

The Great Champagne Flute Catastrophe – oh, the humanity!  Poor Gabriela!

How long will it take for the Ashley/Gary freight train to collide?  Stay tuned.  I put the over/under on 2 episodes.  I predict a Gary/Ashley/Kelsie triangle.

So Captain Glenn tells the crew to not get drunk off their arses… and then they proceed to do just that.  These people must be born with 2 or 3 livers.

Charter guests – Why do I suspect they don’t know a sailing yacht from a cruise ship?  And inappropriate much?  Sheesh!  And how many of you can chew with your mouth closed?  Still hungry?  Maybe they need more food truck grub.

Much respect to Gabriela and fending off the creepy charter guest.

• Love 7

Oh, kudos, and also shudders, to the camerawork that caught Kelsie in profile bathed in the light of the setting sun, gazing dreamily into the distance, and then...flossing her hair with her teeth.  

No emoji can convey the face I'm making now even just remembering the scene.  I try to keep hair out of my mouth, personally.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

One more episode for me. If it’s nothing but drunken escapades and acting stupid, I’m out.

But . . . that's the whole show.

Glen tells them not to get drunk on the deck and they proceeded to do just that.

To be fair, he said he didn't want them drunk on the dock. He didn't say anything about the deck.

I also am appalled at the primary being inappropriate with Gabriella.  I think she handled it well, especially considering you have to be friendly for the tip, but cutting off the inappropriate banter quickly. 

I had to remind myself that there's a camera crew there, because that situation got awfully scary, and it gave me an opportunity to consider the kind of crap women have to put up with all the time. She seemed like she knew how to handle it because of previous experience, and that's too bad.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Oh, kudos, and also shudders, to the camerawork that caught Kelsie in profile bathed in the light of the setting sun, gazing dreamily into the distance, and then...flossing her hair with her teeth.  

No emoji can convey the face I'm making now even just remembering the scene.  I try to keep hair out of my mouth, personally.

Confession here : my teeth are very close one from the other and, yes, when I feel something between two of them, I either use adhesive tape OR one of my hair -they're thick- if I can't floss "right now", because it'll drive me crazy otherwise, lol !

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Confession here : my teeth are very close one from the other and, yes, when I feel something between two of them, I either use adhesive tape OR one of my hair -they're thick- if I can't floss "right now", because it'll drive me crazy otherwise, lol !

I will confess to this too.  Only if there is nothing else to use to floss, and it is really bothering me!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2