Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Dark Side of the Honeymoon

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

When [Alyssa] has no valid rebuttal, her speech gets very calculated and stunted right before she states her intention to walk away right there and then. 

I chalk up this behavior to being determined to come off as someone who get a good edit (basically DEMANDING a good edit) and doesn’t want to appear shallow, thus her refusal to simply admit to one and all that she doesn’t find Chris to be the least bit attractive. She comes up with bullshit reasons and being put off by what his friend said at the wedding (“Sometimes Chris might sound like he’s talking down to you or seems condescending but he’s really just trying to teach you something.”). It’s nonsense.

Alyssa is a spoiled entitled bitch who has no self-awareness whatsoever.

• Love 13
22 hours ago, Matty said:

Chris is wearing out his welcome too. How can he keep putting up with her and her antics? It's demeaning. Show a little self-respect, Chris. Leave now with your head held up high. Don't stay there and be Alyssa's whipping boy. It's a really bad look. Call it a day and walk.

I think Chris needs to be even more direct and say, "I went into this to give it a shot and would really like to try; Alyssa has not been clear in her intentions and she needs to make the decision. If she wants to stay and really give it a go, I will; otherwise she needs to be the one to say it's over."

• Love 10

The best thing that ever happened to Chris was being matched with Alyssa. I've been trying to look at this objectively: if he had a normal match, looks/teeth aside, I don't much like his personality. Next to this shrieking harpy, he looks like Prince Charming, and will likely get mad tail after the season airs.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Yes! My husband and I keep saying she needs meds or to up her meds or change them if she's on them. She has a clear and apparent problem. When she has no valid rebuttal, her speech gets very calculated and stunted right before she states her intention to walk away right there and then. 

Exactly, and who does that?  She’s very immature.  She wants to play with the other girls.  Does she think this is a girls camp?  They have husbands, duh.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, kristen111 said:

Nuts from Day 1 .

Right there she was whacked.  Maybe a five year old would want ten dresses.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't think that's unusual.  A lot of adults don't swim because they're not interested in beaches, pools, or boats so there's no desire to learn.  I'm a landlubber.  😊 

When I was an undergrad in the 70s, many colleges and universities across the US required their students to be able to swim/float before they could graduate, which was, to me, growing up on the US East coast, a sensible life skill. Today, there are only a handful of institutions that still have this requirement. But it really never occurred to me that this was such a valuable thing until I began traveling abroad - airplanes, river boats, etc - and encountered people whose greatest fear ( and I mean fear so bad they could NOT look out the airplane window or over the rail on a riverboat) was ending up in the water - thereby impacting their enjoyment of the entire experience. If anyone doesn't care to swim, that's fine - but learning how to simply stay afloat should circumstances require, seems only sensible to me. But then again, I've always I've always loved the oceans, as much as I recognized their capriciousness, so I guess I am hopelessly biased.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, becauseIsaidso said:

But then again, I've always I've always loved the oceans, as much as I recognized their capriciousness, so I guess I am hopelessly biased.

Well, as I said, I'm a landlubber, so I can understand the bias.

I took swimming lessons a long time ago (couldn't float) because a friend of mine had a pool, but I realized I just didn't care about swimming or any water sports.  Also, I'm glad my college didn't require swimming before graduating.

Back on topic, I'm glad that Noi seemed comfortable floating in Steve's arms.  They looked like quite a romantic couple in that water.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 2

What is this girls problem ???? She has serious mental issues and is by far one of the worst human beings I’ve ever seen do anything. She is just awful. Obviously wanted to look like a idiot on live television. She needs to get real and understand that she is very hurtful and ignorant. I hope you never finds happiness with anyone the way she has treated Chris. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I have to wonder if Doctor Cal will be able to get a straight answer out of her!

Alyssa the 👑 of gaslighting!

I seem to remember Pastor Cal being pretty good at cutting through bullshit, like “[Atlanta] Chris, what are you saying?” when he was yammering on. The challenge with Alyssa is that she’ll storm off in a huff in response to that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

I seem to remember Pastor Cal being pretty good at cutting through bullshit, like “[Atlanta] Chris, what are you saying?” when he was yammering on. The challenge with Alyssa is that she’ll storm off in a huff in response to that.

And Pastor Cal better not make any hand gestures when talking to her.  She'll scream. 😱

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Don't forget! he was throwing down threatening gang signs at the tennis court.

Yes! The infamous Disc Golf gang with their menacing pointing! @rlc is right that Alyssa's horribleness makes Chris look a lot better by comparison. Then again, all he had to do to look better was act like a reasonable adult from Planet Earth.

This entire cast looks better compared to Alyssa. Freaking Olajuwan is at his most likeable when calling out Alyssa's nonsense. However, he needs to stop "testing" Katina; he's not her life coach. I think the testing is acting as a blind because he's not used to interacting with women in mature and committed ways.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, rlc said:

The best thing that ever happened to Chris was being matched with Alyssa. I've been trying to look at this objectively: if he had a normal match, looks/teeth aside, I don't much like his personality. Next to this shrieking harpy, he looks like Prince Charming, and will likely get mad tail after the season airs.

I'm actually having a hard time imagining what his personality would be like if he had a wife who was interested in knowing him and they were having fun doing activities together and discussions over dinner and stuff.  Probably we'd all be calling him boring 😄But all we get to see is him trying to look good on camera towards a person who hates him - not a fair or full representation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, princelina said:

I'm actually having a hard time imagining what his personality would be like if he had a wife who was interested in knowing him and they were having fun doing activities together and discussions over dinner and stuff.  Probably we'd all be calling him boring 😄But all we get to see is him trying to look good on camera towards a person who hates him - not a fair or full representation.

Yeah, he's not the only cast member in the history of this show that benefited by being married to an even worse cast member, but the fact that the rest of the cast seems to really like him speaks well of him. I think we've seen enough of him to form an overall opinion. He seems mature and ready to be married and able to joke around (remember the side piece joke that set ACE off in the first place?), but she has sucked all the fun out of him. He was excited to explore PR until his bride insisted on just sitting on the beach (preferably without him). The poor dude had to snuba alone! Plus, the fact that he hasn't lost his cool in the face of the heinous beast he has the misfortune to call his wife speaks volumes about his overall temperament. I give him props for not going off on her, because I would have let her have it at that dinner. He's average looking, but very nice, and if the "experts" had even remotely tried to pick someone equally ready to be married and not fixated on looks or teeth, he definitely could have been 1/2 of a successful couple.

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Like 1
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, essexjan said:

She said to me recently that she tried to go back and un-like him when she realised she'd swiped the wrong way, but wasn't able to. That wrong swipe on a guy she wouldn't have looked twice at if she'd met him in a pub has changed her life.

And that's why contestants who baldly state before the weddings that if they're not attracted to their spouse they're out should be shown the door at that time!

• Love 6

So Chris & Alyssa are definitely the throwaway couple. She doesn't want to be married to him, but wants to stay on the show & hang out with the others. SAY WHAT?!!! WHERE does that leave her husband?!? She should be removed from the experiment ESPECIALLY because of that! Take away what she wants since she's not doing what she should be doing. I don't even know about Chris. He KNOWS she's done & needs to leave her all the way ALONE! I think he has more power than he knows & could've had both of them returned to Boston had he declared his marriage is nonexistent so they shouldn't be on a "honeymoon." His 100%, non zero back script is BORING! EXPLAIN WHAT THAT MEANS! (Not that it matters, she wants him to leave her alone.) He should demand answers! He's asking the wrong questions & letting her BS him or run away! It's really simple. Are we doing this activity to build our marriage? She would run away screaming! 😂 Why she doesn't want him doesn't matter. Let it go & move on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, princelina said:

I'm thinking Chris (with an interested partner) could have been a JAustin 2.0 - nerdy, but like-ably & successfully matched...methinks there is something good to be said about nerds. Still wishing there was more of CouplesCam...wondering about Jaustin's sprout, Jepthe & Shawneice, Laura & next baby-maybe etc.....and especially Gregg & Deonna (forgive the misspellings, please).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

And Pastor Cal better not make any hand gestures when talking to her.  She'll scream. 😱

I’m worried about him handing her a tissue when she inevitably turns on the water works during the whining about what a good person she is and she’s worked so hard.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

. I think he the testing is acting as a blind because he's not used to interacting with women in mature and committed ways.

I think O’s default to “I was testing you,” is actually bullshit. He is selfish, insensitive and disrespectful and then, when he’s called out for his behavior toward the other person, he says it’s a test. No, it’s an excuse, Olajuwon. 

1 hour ago, essexjan said:

If Alyssa truly was "a really good person" she'd have said at the start, "you're not my normal type, and I don't know how this is going to go, but let's take things really slowly - separate beds for a start. Let's go on the honeymoon and have some fun together, and then when we get back, we can see how things go when we're in the apartment."

I’d have a lot more respect for Alyssa if she did that. Or if she even came right out and told Chris that it’s a no-go for her because she doesn’t find him attractive.

• Love 6

The more I think about it (and yes, I agree that I am spending too much time thinking about this show), the more irritated I am when towards the end of the episode when Chris was asking Alyssa what he had done that bothered her (and crickets were sounding) and a producer told him that Alyssa wanted more time to think and would that be okay.  What option did Chris have when the producer intervened and basically directed Chris to back off.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had him back off previously when questioning her.  So, it appears to me that the producers are supporting Alyssa over Chris (however the editors are not having that nonsense).

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Swimming is an activity. I don't know why anyone would be shocked because someone hasn't learned an activity. It's very easy to not learn something you have no interest in. 

Swimming is a life skill.  And to judge from what I've experienced every time I've been even within earshot of a pool, there are no children who aren't interested in swimming.  They love that shit.

18 hours ago, Racj82 said:

There is also a possible fear attached swimming  (drowning) that keeps people away from it.

It keeps adults away.  That's why everybody should learn to swim when they're little.  You don't have to keep doing it for the rest of your life, but it can literally save your life and it's one less thing to mark you as an "other" in social situations.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

There has to be a consequence for some of her actions or her attorneys might have found a break in those contracts. Lol

What's to object to re: Chris's personality? Is he somehow offensive? IDTS. Does he run down any others? IDTS. Has he shown anything but equanimity towards Alyssa? No, not even a slammed door. 

I also haven't seen him be Alyssa's "whipping boy." She is always the defeated one---curtailing discussions, walking away, not succeeding with her cockamamie "apartment time-share" idea, not getting the camera crew on her side. Chris has kowtowed not once to her.

Yes, he was shown confused and disappointed after the wedding. Yes, he hasn't locked her out or told her to hit the bricks. Yes, he says he'll  be in "100%" if Alyssa says she'll start at "1%." 

But that is Chris the man who is truly committed to the show's premise and promise. It isn't "demeaning" after only 5 days to keep hoping that either the Alyssa tide will turn, or it will rush back out to sea of her own volition. 

He is content to put that decision solely in his wife's hands. Unlike the song, Chris is too proud to beg. Should he show Alyssa anger so she can claim to fear him? 

I think Chris is demonstrating admirable fortitude!

• Like 1
  • Love 21

When Alyssa talks about not wanting to look bad on the program, it reminded me of when I first began watching "reality tv". Soon after, I discovered and became a member of TWOP. 

I recall a discussion there about how much our perception of cast members can be manipulated with editing, and someone said (paraphrasing) "If you don't do it and/or don't say it, it can't be on the show".

Alyssa has said plenty while wearing a mic she had to know was hot. 

If it's captured by a mic and/or on camera, then it's fair game for the editing monkeys. She can threaten to sue production for "making her look bad" all she wants, but it's all going to boil down to 1). Her voluntarily applying to participate in the program, 2). Her knowing she'd be filmed and recorded, 3). Her having to acknowledge everything in the edited footage of each episode she said and/or did.

It sounds like Alyssa thinks she's successfully convinced the crew and the other couples that she's the victim of a horrible, totally incompatible match, and gosh darn she's been trying soooo hard! But it's obvious to me everybody is fully aware she's full of shit.

Gotta give Lindsey props for not busting a gut laughing. I was pulling for her! "You can do it, Lindsey! Think sad thoughts!" But it turned out staring at a palm tree is what allowed her to keep it together. 

But a palm tree wouldn't have worked for me, so I wouldn't have even tried to contain myself. Honestly, I think Alyssa might benefit from more people laughing in her face.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Swimming is a life skill.  And to judge from what I've experienced every time I've been even within earshot of a pool, there are no children who aren't interested in swimming.  They love that shit.

It keeps adults away.  That's why everybody should learn to swim when they're little.  You don't have to keep doing it for the rest of your life, but it can literally save your life and it's one less thing to mark you as an "other" in social 

For a lot of people it's an activity. In general, just try to speak for yourself. Yes, of course,  there are plenty of children and adults with no interest in swimming because human beings have different interests. 

It never even passed my mind to judge Noi or anyone for not knowing how to swim. I don't even know if anyone I'm around on a regular basis can swim. Who cares? 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I chalk up this behavior to being determined to come off as someone who get a good edit (basically DEMANDING a good edit) and doesn’t want to appear shallow, thus her refusal to simply admit to one and all that she doesn’t find Chris to be the least bit attractive. She comes up with bullshit reasons and being put off by what his friend said at the wedding (“Sometimes Chris might sound like he’s talking down to you or seems condescending but he’s really just trying to teach you something.”). It’s nonsense.

Alyssa is a spoiled entitled bitch who has no self-awareness whatsoever.

My new favorite phrase, "I'm a good fucking person!"  Maybe she means that she's good at fucking. But she'll keep screaming at until she thinks people actually believe it. No one, I mean NO ONE thinks she is.  If she's able to date after this, I'll be stunned. She is not as good looking as she thinks she is.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

For a lot of people it's an activity. In general, just try to speak for yourself. Yes, of course,  there are plenty of children and adults with no interest in swimming because human beings have different interests. 

It never even passed my mind to judge Noi or anyone for not knowing how to swim. I don't even know if anyone I'm around on a regular basis can swim. Who cares? 

I cannot swim. We lived out in the middle of nowhere and I had nowhere to learn. Besides that I had a sibling who was terribly ill when I was young, so all attension had to be on him. That's just life.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

When Alyssa talks about not wanting to look bad on the program, it reminded me of when I first began watching "reality tv". Soon after, I discovered and became a member of TWOP. 

I recall a discussion there about how much our perception of cast members can be manipulated with editing, and someone said (paraphrasing) "If you don't do it and/or don't say it, it can't be on the show".

Alyssa has said plenty while wearing a mic she had to know was hot. 

If it's captured by a mic and/or on camera, then it's fair game for the editing monkeys. She can threaten to sue production for "making her look bad" all she wants, but it's all going to boil down to 1). Her voluntarily applying to participate in the program, 2). Her knowing she'd be filmed and recorded, 3). Her having to acknowledge everything in the edited footage of each episode she said and/or did.

It sounds like Alyssa thinks she's successfully convinced the crew and the other couples that she's the victim of a horrible, totally incompatible match, and gosh darn she's been trying soooo hard! But it's obvious to me everybody is fully aware she's full of shit.

Gotta give Lindsey props for not busting a gut laughing. I was pulling for her! "You can do it, Lindsey! Think sad thoughts!" But it turned out staring at a palm tree is what allowed her to keep it together. 

But a palm tree wouldn't have worked for me, so I wouldn't have even tried to contain myself. Honestly, I think Alyssa might benefit from more people laughing in her face.

I agree.  I would have just said something if I was Lindsey. Allyssa keeps thinking if she's talking like she's normal, people will think she's normal. She's just a certified spoiled bitch. What must her mother have put up with.....or created.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:
14 hours ago, essexjan said:

If Alyssa truly was "a really good person" she'd have said at the start, "you're not my normal type, and I don't know how this is going to go, but let's take things really slowly - separate beds for a start. Let's go on the honeymoon and have some fun together, and then when we get back, we can see how things go when we're in the apartment."

I’d have a lot more respect for Alyssa if she did that. Or if she even came right out and told Chris that it’s a no-go for her because she doesn’t find him attractive.

But she once said she hates hurting people's feelings! 🙄 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2022 at 10:33 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

He really wanted it to work. He was willing to give a 100% if she showed the slightest willingness to engage in the marriage. Yes it would be easy to throw in the towel and he's not going to try without effort in return. But yeah its stick a fork in it time.

She accused him of not being willing to compromise.  Christ said that he will give 100% if she give more than 0%.  Like .05% would be enough for Christ to try to make it work. And Christ is a realtor, so he knows this is a bad deal.  She has nice breasts, but that is all that is nice about her.  Her mom doesnt seem to like her and likes Christ better. I like the mom, but she failed as a parent. Christ shouldnt wear the tight pants.  We can all see his dong. I guess some women and others may like that, so I take it back.

I think O feels really heartbroken for Christ.  Maybe he can invite Christ for the threesome he desperately wants. Didnt Katrina say something about wanting someone with a huge penis? 

I like the non-drunk Lindsey. She seems alright.  I think Shark is banging the landlord in exchange for free rent. She called him 7 times? What kinda landlord does that?  Landlord issued an ultimatum.  Either you sex me up when you get back from PR, or you can find your shit on the front lawn. Could it be that Shark is the homeless one? Whats up with the bedbugs?  Is he not clean?

Jaz and Michael depress me.  I still dont understand what they are arguing about. Nobody actually did anything wrong.  I feel bad that Mike lost his fam, but he has got to start being more positive.  He has a very nice smile that makes people feel comfortable, but rarely smiles.  He also is boring.  He cant carry a conversation. He always focuses on the negative, like when he was in 6th grade getting bullied.  He now is strong and can probably kick the bullies asses. Time to move on from that. I had a bully in high school and he left me with no choice but to send him to the hospital.  I got suspended, but none of the other bullies fucked with me again. #winning.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, Shauna said:

Why is Mark’s landlady blowing up his phone? Is he behind on rent?

Because she loves him and is jealous he’s taken now?  She probably planted the bed bugs there thinking the new Bride was going to sleep there.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Is "Christ" a typo or deliberate? IDGI if the latter. Maybe the patience of Job? But "Christ" sounds like a mockery of both Chris and Jesus in this context. 

I'm guessing it's due to autocorrect on a phone keyboard.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Is "Christ" a typo or deliberate? IDGI if the latter. Maybe the patience of Job? But "Christ" sounds like a mockery of both Chris and Jesus in this context. 

what's IDGI?

• Love 1
On 2/10/2022 at 4:45 PM, kristen111 said:

Giving her money to get off is worth it.  Who wants to look at her anymore?  She says the same thing over and over again.  Get her off.

BTW .. What happened to MAFS Australia?  I loved that show, as it was different.

I actually do, haha…I’m fascinated by her because I don’t know anyone like that in real life, I’m rooting for Chris, and I want to watch her comeuppance! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think the word “narcissist” is kinda overused but I truly think based on what we are seeing, that Alyssa may be one. I was thinking about that initial necklace she wore on the wedding day and how foreshadowing it was for really everything that’s played out…basically, it’s gonna be allll about me! I’m just gonna leave this here:

“Narcissistic personality disorder involves a pattern of self-centered, arrogant thinking and behavior, a lack of empathy and consideration for other people, and an excessive need for admiration. Others often describe people with NPD as cocky, manipulative, selfish, patronizing, and demanding. This way of thinking and behaving surfaces in every area of the narcissist’s life: from work and friendships to family and love relationships.

People with narcissistic personality disorder are extremely resistant to changing their behavior, even when it’s causing them problems. Their tendency is to turn the blame on to others. What’s more, they are extremely sensitive and react badly to even the slightest criticisms, disagreements, or perceived slights, which they view as personal attacks. For the people in the narcissist’s life, it’s often easier just to go along with their demands to avoid the coldness and rages. However, by understanding more about narcissistic personality disorder, you can spot the narcissists in your life, protect yourself from their power plays, and establish healthier boundaries.“

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder.htm

• Love 3
On 2/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, Racj82 said:

We heard what they said. He can come off as combative or a know it all in discussions. That's all they said. They even said that he isn't that way. He may just come off that way. He enjoys a good debate. He likes to teach people if he thinks he can. We saw what they said. There was nothing else. I can understand some of that giving one pause at the very least. If all that was true that would be a no for me. She has never really had a general conversation with him so she has no idea who he actually is. But, she took it all as gospel and never actually got to know him. It's also all a smokescreen for the fact that she isn't attracted to him anyway.

They said he could come off as condescending and she ran with that. It was ridiculous. I actually laughed that she chose to use that as an excuse not to spend the night with him. Girl, just be honest…you think he’s fugly and you don’t want to be near him! She’s so full of crap. It’s insane. It’s a shame because she’s honestly on his level as far as looks go. She acts like she’s some sort of second coming of Kim Kardashian yet she’s missing a chin, yet somehow has a double chin and has horrific lip injections and buggy eyes. She needs a reality check. 

• Love 6
On 2/11/2022 at 11:08 AM, kristen111 said:

The girl is not all there in the head.  Can’t they see that?  Get a neurologist or psychiatrist I and let them determine what’s wrong with her.  Then, they all can get off clean .. no fines.  If a specialist talks to her for a few minutes, they will determine she’s nuts in a flash.  She speaks like a child and keeps repeating herself talking nonsense.

I'm calling Histrionic Personality Disorder. Only because she does not quite have enough crazies for Narcissistic Personality Disorder....but then, I only have a BA in psych and was only involved in the testing aspect, not the diagnostic (for which I was not qualified) so I have to go by the end results of those who had the creds to make the call.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I have to wonder if Doctor Cal will be able to get a straight answer out of her!

Alyssa the 👑 of gaslighting!

She’ll repeat how disrespectful he is over and over again.  He’ll answer what is scripted.  Then, she’ll cry and walk out, after she tells him she’s a good person.

Edited by kristen111
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I did not feel anyone was judging Noi for not being able to swim.

People certainly have the right to have different differences/preferences:

But those of us who have suddenly found themselves tasked with trying to wrest to shore a screaming, flailing idiot who went in a boat WITHOUT EITHER a PFD or the ABILITY to SWIM just might beg to differ.

IMO - If you do not wish to know how to swim/stay afloat, don't put yourself in a situation where your life may depend on it. And there are many of those.

• Love 5

About Ojawan’s job at Waste Management, that company sponsored a big golf tournament in Phoenix, Arizona today.  They showed what they do.  They recycle plastic bottles and make different things out of it, like clothes and useful everyday stuff.  Interesting.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

Chris & Alyssa really are a perfect match! They both talk stupid. She says a lot of negatives & so does he. He said he believes she's there, "not for the right reasons." 1. WRONG SHOW BUDDY! 2. PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHY PEOPLE SHOULD EXPLAIN WHAT THEY MEAN. Looks like she interpreted "here" as the experiment & got defensive about it. I think he meant, physically, there on the honeymoon. That she wasn't there to build their marriage. She was there for everything BUT that! 😂😂

• Love 1
19 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

What's to object to re: Chris's personality? Is he somehow offensive? IDTS. Does he run down any others? IDTS. Has he shown anything but equanimity towards Alyssa? No, not even a slammed door. 

I like the way he was asking her specific questions in order to try to get real answers out of her.  It was like a cross examination, which I think is an effective tool but I can see people bristling, especially when they've been told the person doing the cross examination can be condescending.

Something else about Alyssa is that she keeps saying she's trying.  She reminds me of Lance Armstrong. 

Most of us think she should be "trying" to be in the marriage, but what she's actually trying to do is figure out a way to continue to participate in the show.  So in her mind she really is trying, and gets pissed off when it's implied or said outright she's not.  Because she's trying.  She's just not acknowledging in her mind what she should be trying at.

Lance Armstrong did the same thing.  He knew everybody was cheating, so his cheating wasn't really cheating, because everybody was doing it.  And since he wasn't cheating, in his mind he could deny he was doping, since doping is what was cheating and he wasn't cheating.

So in his mind, Armstrong wasn't doping.  And in Alyssa's mind, she's trying.  Delusions all around.

16 hours ago, Racj82 said:

If you were on a boat and people were jumping in the water, or if you were on the beach and people were going in the water, you'd find out.  Would you judge a non-swimmer for it?  Maybe not consciously, but it could very easily set him apart from the rest of the group.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, becauseIsaidso said:

When I was an undergrad in the 70s, many colleges and universities across the US required their students to be able to swim/float before they could graduate, which was, to me, growing up on the US East coast, a sensible life skill.

MIT still requires a swim test, or taking two semesters of beginning swim classes.  Cornell still requires a swim test; in its rationale it says, "Drowning is the 5th leading cause of unintentional death in the United States overall and the 2nd leading cause of unitentional [sic] death in children. The CDC reports 10 people/day die from drowning."  It goes on to say they're trying to break the cycle of parents who don't know how to swim not encouraging their kids to learn how to swim. 

Cornell was the first college in the country (other than West Point and Annapolis) to require a swim test and in fact instituted it because "a soldier who cannot swim is so much dead timber in the command."  The test for women was instituted because it was an important part of a well-rounded education for a young woman.

14 hours ago, Katie111 said:

I think Alyssa thought she was being cast for Real World or Big Brother. 

Ha!  Mr. Outlier said that if they kick Alyssa off the show, that will leave seven strangers, picked to live in an apartment complex and have their lives taped...

8 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

I think Shark is banging the landlord in exchange for free rent.

I don't know if it was on the regular episode or the after-show, but Lindsey said the landlord is a mother figure to Mark.  I hope he's not banging her.

8 hours ago, Gator Stud said:

Whats up with the bedbugs?  Is he not clean?

Bedbugs can happen in even the nicest places.  Like lice--even rich kids can get lice.

I'm learning all sorts of stuff today.  An article about the bedbug invasion in New York City about 10 years ago noted the assumption that infestation is confined to poor neighborhoods with dirty and crowded living spaces.  But actually, the infestation started with wealthy and middle income people traveling internationally and bringing them home in their luggage, and then it spread to stores and theaters and to poorer neighborhoods, where it's a real problem because they can't afford the treatments.

So the poorer neighborhoods aren't more likely to get infestations, but they're more likely to suffer more profoundly if they do get them.  In other words, the usual.

6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

About Ojawan’s job at Waste Management, that company sponsored a big golf tournament in Phoenix, Arizona today.  They showed what they do.  They recycle plastic bottles and make different things out of it, like clothes and useful everyday stuff.  Interesting.

The show labels his job as wastewater treatment, not the company Waste Management (which handles solid waste--trash).  There seems to be a lot of confusion about this--I guess most people don't ever think about wastewater.  That's too bad, because it's fascinating--they're tracking Covid outbreaks by examining wastewater, and the existence of fatbergs should make everybody stop flushing wipes down the toilet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm calling Histrionic Personality Disorder. Only because she does not quite have enough crazies for Narcissistic Personality Disorder....but then, I only have a BA in psych and was only involved in the testing aspect, not the diagnostic (for which I was not qualified) so I have to go by the end results of those who had the creds to make the call.

I don't have diagnostic credentials either but I don't see a clinically diagnosable personality disorder. I just see a bitchy drama queen who wanted a male model for a husband and didn't get it, and is going to be even crankier when that sunburn starts to itch and peel.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7