Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: A Pink Cadillac and a Glorious Tribal Dance

Bort
  • Start Topic

Now this is the show I fell in love with! No drama, just Sheldon trying to go to a comic con and Mary selling cosmetics. Both of them cutting loose. Pure fun.

I loved the bus scene and how the Lost in Space vs Star Trek debate escalated into a Star Trek vs Next Generation debate. 

Mary was a pretty good salesperson! Awesome how she incorporated the Bible into her pitches; beauty is power and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. But of course she had to get all guilty about it and stop. It’s a shame.

• Love 21

It was relaxing to watch an episode without the potential cheating or laundromat stories.

The bus scene was good. Star Trek vs Star Trek Next Gen vs Lost in Space. 

Mary selling Mary Kay was also good. MLM in a nutshell. LOL

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 15

"Redneck Nobel Prize"

My mom did Mary Kay for a minute when I was a kid.

"Drivin' a pink car in Texas...bold choice."

"That second one doesn't pay much." "I do your taxes, the first one doesn't either."

I liked that voiceover Sheldon just alluded to his getting caught and how mad his parents were and we didn't have to watch it.

• Love 23

Your comments inspired me to watch and I'm so glad I did!  I'm thinking if they keep George and Meemaw to cameo appearances from here on in then we've got a show I'd be happy to watch again!   BTW, just me or does anyone else find that young Sheldon's voice is now deeper than middle aged Sheldon's?

• Love 12

That was a fun episode, especially the nerd debate on the bus and Sheldon defending Wil Wheaton. I thought Lost In Space did get remade though? Or was it later in the 90s?

Jason Alexander's character was really gross with his misogynist tropes and aggressive selling tactics. I liked him much better as the drama teacher.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

BTW, just me or does anyone else find that young Sheldon's voice is now deeper than middle aged Sheldon's?

Yep. I got sidetracked and when I heard YS's voice, I thought: KId's voice is changing! This could be a problem going forward.

• Love 5

I was going to say the Netflix remake was very recent but then I remembered the 1998 movie. There was also a pilot episode for the WB but that was never ordered to series. So like Star Trek LiS also got a movie and a series. But Star Trek got more movies and series.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Sorry but Jason Alexander annoys the heck out of me and ruined this episode for me. 

I totally agree.  How can they give so much screen time to him when they have Missy sitting slumped on the couch saying nothing and the other regulars having only a few lines.  In addition, Jason Alexander's character is just disgusting.  I cannot believe they waste time on him.  There has never been an episode that featured Jason that I enjoyed.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 19
1 minute ago, freeser said:

I totally agree.  How can they give so much screen time to him when they have Missy sitting slumped on the couch saying nothing and the other regulars having only a few lines.  In addition, Jason Alexander's character is just disgusting.  I cannot believe they waste time on him.  There has never been an episode that featured Jason that I enjoyed.  

Jason Alexander would have been a much better foil-type character on the TBBT.

• Love 7

OK, I'm in the minority. I really like Mr. Lundy, he's such a self deluded loser, even if he did score the pink Cadillac. He'll probably be on to a new scam shortly, as none of his schemes ever work out. And he'll still project that phony confidence and bravado.

• Love 18
17 minutes ago, freeser said:

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I liked that voiceover Sheldon just alluded to his getting caught and how mad his parents were and we didn't have to watch it.

Didn't they say it was a four hour bus ride.  That would mean he would be gone a minimum of 9 hours if he just stayed at the con an hour.  I said this about another episode on another show.  This is the kind of thing where you know you'll get caught but decide the punishment is worth it.

13 minutes ago, Gummo said:

OK, I'm in the minority. I really like Mr. Lundy, he's such a self deluded loser, even if he did score the pink Cadillac. He'll probably be on to a new scam shortly, as none of his schemes ever work out. And he'll still project that phony confidence and bravado.

I like him, too.  I think he's funny. I liked the episode where Sheldon was going to be Annie best.  

• Love 12

I loved the bus ride. Wow that was funny.  But I have a lot of questions.  Sheldon is such a rule follower but here he is sneaking out. I’m not sure I understand how he can do this within his own moral code.  He was having so much fun smiling and engaging with his peeps. I think it’s the first time we have seen him act like this.  But How did he know how to get a costume and suddenly know how to finger salute the other passengers. He is usually so out of it.  Still,  loved it. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I like him, too.  I think he's funny. I liked the episode where Sheldon was going to be Annie best.  

Sign me up to the liking Mr Lundy group.  Loved the Annie episode.  I think in part because he reminds me of a teacher I had back in high school.  Really big personality and someone who thought he was way more talented than he actually was!  Anyway what I liked about him in this episode was the way they made it clear what a racket selling stuff like Mary Kay actually is.  I've known people who hosted parties for Mary Kay and other products back in the day and it was sad the way they'd start off really energized and thinking they were going to make a lot of money until reality set in.   

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Sheldon is such a rule follower but here he is sneaking out. I’m not sure I understand how he can do this within his own moral code.

He said he was going to the comic book store.  They most likely do sell comic books at Comic cons.  So, while he is a rule follower, he has also said that he likes a good technicality (I can't think of the word I want),  I wonder if he once again annoyed a clerk into buying a bus ticket for him since they established minors can't buy their own tickets.

18 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

But How did he know how to get a costume and suddenly know how to finger salute the other passengers. He is usually so out of it.  

He was watching commercials about it, so he probably saw people in costumes, and he's a huge Trekkie so he would know all about the Vulcan salute.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wonder if he once again annoyed a clerk into buying a bus ticket for him since they established minors can't buy their own tickets.

Since it seemed everyone on the bus was going to the Con, I wondered if it was a chartered bus by like the comic book store to take everyone from the area as a group since it seemed like everyone on the bus was part of that. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I've known people who hosted parties for Mary Kay and other products back in the day and it was sad the way they'd start off really energized and thinking they were going to make a lot of money until reality set in.   

I don't remember my mom ever doing parties; I just remember the sample case she had (which of course I wanted to play with; I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 at the time, if that). She also had a cube-shaped pink box (it's a padded vinyl thing) that for as long as I can remember has been used to hold ribbons and bows and stuff for gift wrapping. I'm 46 now and she still has it.

1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Since it seemed everyone on the bus was going to the Con, I wondered if it was a chartered bus by like the comic book store to take everyone from the area as a group since it seemed like everyone on the bus was part of that. 

Even when he was asking the adults to go with him, it was assumed they would be riding that bus. If his dad did agree I was wondering why he wouldn't just drive.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I want to know when he got caught and at what point his parents realized they hadn't seen him for awhile. 

2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

That makes sense to me. It also solves the problem of Sheldon needing to buy a bus ticket. I'm sure there were a limited number of seats on the bus and they had to make reservations and possibly pay for them, but they may have allowed children under the age of 18 to make reservations.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. Sheldon on the bus was fantastic. He was in his element and totally happy.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Gummo said:

I wouldn't want him to be in more than the occasional episode, but he is funny when he's on, precisely because he's so self-deluded.  And yes, a man driving a pink Cadillac in Texas is indeed making quite the bold choice.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I don't remember my mom ever doing parties;

I went to one when I was in high school.  The makeup was nice, but expensive.  I didn't buy any Satan-inspired lipstick, but Mary Kay lady did say I had great eyebrows, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 10

The Geezer Bus episode was so much fun and now Snarky Sci-Fi Nerds on Wheels - an absolute delight.

That's how I like my Young Sheldon - light, happy, fun ... and mobile?

(And, boy howdy. Iain Armitage sure isn't a little guy any more. He's all teenager now.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I used to use Mary Kay makeup when I was a flight attendant, and that stuff had crazy staying power. I'm not sure how the quality is now, but back in the day, it was pretty darn good. The only thing I hated was the cult aspect. The lady I bought from was always trying to recruit me and it was annoying. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I used to use Mary Kay makeup when I was a flight attendant, and that stuff had crazy staying power. I'm not sure how the quality is now, but back in the day, it was pretty darn good. The only thing I hated was the cult aspect. The lady I bought from was always trying to recruit me and it was annoying. 

Mary Kay and Avon and Tupperware are pyramid schemes, right?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

No, they're MLMs. That's different. Somehow.

Avon, at least, didn't used to be: "While Avon used to be a purely direct sales business, they have been an MLM company for over 15 years,"

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Sorry but Jason Alexander annoys the heck out of me and ruined this episode for me. 

Such mixed emotions I have about him. I hate it when he appears in YS. I do think he's a great actor, but is totally miscast in this series.  I'm sure he gets much more screen time on YS than he deserves because of his popularity from Seinfeld. That dovetails into my second point. I recently saw a show for the first time where Jerry Seinfeld has coffee with comedians. Mostly they just chat, but in the episode with Jason Alexander they decided to do it in character as Jerry and George Costanza at the diner. IMHO, it was brilliant and they didn't miss a beat...just looked a lot older. Jason is just miscast in this role, and he overplays the part, AND DOES A TERRIBLE TEXAS ACCENT!!

• Love 9

I love that this episode felt like so much fun. No impending divorce, no laundering at the laundry mat, just wacky hijinks and a lot of funny lines. I like Mr. Lundy in small doses, so I was just fine seeing him pop up here, leading Mary into a life of sin and overpriced lipstick. Mary actually did a pretty good job selling Mary Kay at her bible study, even if she felt like she was exploiting the ladies. Ester stopped a genocide by being hot, buy some mascara! Mary's dream managed to be impressively hilarious while also actually being a bit creepy. 

I have been to a few Mary Kay parties, some of my moms friends sold Mary Kay, I thought they were a lot of fun, but that someone selling Mary Kay added some suspense to every gathering. Like any time you could go to a ladies house, a Mary Kay party could break out. 

Sheldon on the bus to comic con was fun, I really liked narrator Sheldon saying how, even though they were arguing, he was having an amazing time, and that his parents did catch him and he got in BIG trouble. Those are his people. The science fiction geek in me loved the arguments about Lost in Space vs Star Trek, which turned into OG vs TNG, it was funny and interesting. The teacher really did do a solid Doctor Smith, if Sheldon likes hammy acting that really is a show he would like. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. Everything you've ever wanted to know, and a whole lot you never knew you wanted to know can be learned on the anti-MLM forum on Reddit no log-in required.

I thought Sheldon was lowering his voice on purpose, not that Iain's voice changed that much but I suspect it's his voice changing. This was such a sweet episode. I loved seeing Sheldon on the [chartered?] bus? It didn't look like a city bus.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

It did crack me up that Sheldon technically didn't lie, and was very proud of himself for being so crafty.

I noticed something in this episode.  Comics and his Sci-Fi/Fantasy fandoms are Sheldon's true pleasures.  He seemed so relaxed in the comics store and on the bus.  Even though he was throwing down in the geeky version of a "yo mama" insult fight, he was delighted and having fun.  It was clear everyone on that bus was a peer, from Sheldon to the unemployed loser guy to the teacher.  They were all united in their nerdiness.

What made me nearly snort wine up my nose because I was laughing so hard was the TV ad for the "KAAAAAHNNN!!!!!!"

• Love 15
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

What made me nearly snort wine up my nose because I was laughing so hard was the TV ad for the "KAAAAAHNNN!!!!!!"

I had to pause the TV, I was laughing so hard at that.  It was awesome! 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I loved the bus ride. Wow that was funny.  But I have a lot of questions.  Sheldon is such a rule follower but here he is sneaking out. I’m not sure I understand how he can do this within his own moral code.  He was having so much fun smiling and engaging with his peeps. I think it’s the first time we have seen him act like this.  But How did he know how to get a costume and suddenly know how to finger salute the other passengers. He is usually so out of it.  Still,  loved it. 

I could have sworn he already had a Spock costume in an earlier episode. One where he goes to a birthday party at the Sparks' and he and Billy played Star Trek in the chicken coop. I could just be remembering wrong though.

I loved the debate TOS vs TNG. I prefer TOS over TNG (though, unpopular opinion, Voyager is my favorite), but Sheldon claiming that William Shatner is a better actor than Sir Patrick Stewart made me lol. 

Love that red makes Mary think of Satan.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And Amway! 

As an aside, I was watching Gilmore Girls while reading this thread and who should pop up but a young Lance Barber! I immediately thought "Why is Sheldon's dad at Logan's party??"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Tattooeddancer said:

I loved the debate TOS vs TNG. I prefer TOS over TNG (though, unpopular opinion, Voyager is my favorite), but Sheldon claiming that William Shatner is a better actor than Sir Patrick Stewart made me lol. 

And an opinion that apparently changed because of the Big Bang Theory episode where Leonard’s answer for the quiz to be roommates was TOS over TNG, but Picard over Kirk, which Sheldon considered the correct answer.

(For the record, Voyager is my favorite too.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I could have sworn he already had a Spock costume in an earlier episode. One where he goes to a birthday party at the Sparks' and he and Billy played Star Trek in the chicken coop. I could just be remembering wrong though.

He did:

Young-Sheldon-S03E09-400x242.jpeg

and tonight:

CBS_YOUNG_SHELDON_512_NO_LOGO_1145956_19

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I liked seeing the librarian again. And the teacher. I miss the older characters. We don't see them now that Georgie dropped out and Sheldon is in college. 

Missy's still a student there, but they don't seem to think she's worth giving much story, to this season,

I think Sheldon says he loves a loophole" when he wants a way out of a rule. Also, he was advancing the idea that one is supposed to go wild on school break, so he was upholding tradition.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Missy's still a student there, but they don't seem to think she's worth giving much story, to this season,

Missy is still in middle school, I think, so she doesn’t go there yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He did:

Young-Sheldon-S03E09-400x242.jpeg

and tonight:

CBS_YOUNG_SHELDON_512_NO_LOGO_1145956_19

Sheldon is such a stickler for detail, he really should've combed his bangs straight down in front.

As for Not Following the Rules, well, there are rules and then there's I Want What I Want. He told his parents truthfully he was going out to meet his comic book friends ... he just didn't mention that it would be at Texarkana(KHAAAAN!)

Shedon could have invited Dr. Sturgis to go with him (Hee! Dressed as a Ferengi Grand Nagus!) but John's recent confounding of "Dr. Spock" and "Mr. McCoy" probably eliminated him from Sheldon's consideration.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

In 1974 I did go to a Star Trek Convention and had David Gerrold sign my copy of his book about the tribble episode.

Responding in small talk.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No, they're MLMs. That's different. Somehow.

Avon, at least, didn't used to be: "While Avon used to be a purely direct sales business, they have been an MLM company for over 15 years,"

I'm pretty sure there is some legal loophole that makes them MLMs rather than pyramid schemes even though for all intents & purposes they are all pyramid schemes. Lu La Rich  on Amazon Prime is a good watch if you have the time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2