Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: A Pink Cadillac and a Glorious Tribal Dance

Bort
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I'm pretty sure there is some legal loophole that makes them MLMs rather than pyramid schemes even though for all intents & purposes they are all pyramid schemes. Lu La Rich  on Amazon Prime is a good watch if you have the time.

My daughter's college roommate and best friend briefly got involved in selling products that were part of a pyramid scheme/MLM. I bought a few items from her because they happened to be fragrance free, but I also told her I was buying them because I wanted to support her in any way I can. Within a year she had dumped the scheme and was in graduate school and discouraged me from continuing with the company's products. 
In other words, like Mary, my daughter's friend wised up pretty quickly. 
I think Mary got there faster because the product really wasn't her thing ("devil" lipstick colors).
If it had been a scheme to sell angel tchotchkes (a popular item among church ladies at the time of this show) I imagine it would have taken longer for Mary to dump the business.

• Love 3

As far as I understand, an MLM legitimate business is something where an actual product is being sold; an illegal pyramid scheme is where the only thing being sold is positions in the pyramid.  So Mary Kay, Amway, etc. are set up as pyramid structures, but they are legal. 

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

The laundromat would be an excellent place to sell that makeup.

I was just thinking, Georgie should have taken over the Mary Kay business.  He is a great salesman, and would be able to charm the women into buying anything.

• Love 18
On 1/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Mary was a pretty good salesperson! Awesome how she incorporated the Bible into her pitches; beauty is power and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. But of course she had to get all guilty about it and stop. It’s a shame.

I think she went overboard with the guilt, but I do think it was kind of smarmy to peddle that stuff at a bible study group meeting.

Back in the early '90s I lived in a condo. with a few Mary Kay, Tupperware and Avon salespeople (all women).  For reasons I can only explain by it being a long time ago and my youth, I allowed myself to be peer-pressured into hosting a couple of parties for them.  For my trouble I got a small percentage of the profits and an extra discount on the makeup.  People brought appetizers and I served refreshments.  There were several women in my section hosting these things and we rotated them every couple of months or so.  I only did it a few times, thankfully.  The Mary Kay saleswoman lived in my section and eventually got herself a pink Cadillac.  Those were some funny times.  She was a relic from that time, very pushy.  I did buy a little of the makeup for a while, some of it was pretty good.  Instead of Mr. Lundy someone like this woman would have been a better and funnier choice, IMO.  She had the big poofy blonde hair and personality.  She would have fit right in in Texas.  I have never loved Jason in that role.  It just doesn't work for me. 

I DID love everything to do with Sheldon and his trip to the convention.  I went to a few Star Trek conventions in the '90s in NYC and rode down on the bus to one of them with several costumed geeks so this was right up my street.  That guy does an AMAZING Dr. Smith!!

• Love 10
On 1/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, Gummo said:

I really like Mr. Lundy, he's such a self deluded loser, even if he did score the pink Cadillac.

I understand though that it’s only leased for a year to the “top sales person” or whatever, so his line about “going to trade it in” really didn’t make any sense. Unless it was just his usual BS, or the show’s writers didn’t know that. 

And yes, his Texas accent is atrocious. A friend of mine from there said that Georgie has the best one—which makes sense since the actor is from there. But Jason’s is the worst of all. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

In 1974 I did go to a Star Trek Convention and had David Gerrold sign my copy of his book about the tribble episode.

David Gerrold reminiscence (from *gulp* 48 years ago) in Small Talk.

• Love 1

This was a good episode.  I kept waiting for Sheldon to ask if he could go with the guy he debated on the bus.  Since he's an adult, and Mary likes to indulge Sheldon and she was busy with Mary Kay, I figured she'd consent.  Too bad he didn't know his former teacher would be going. George and Mary would have no problem with him chaperoning Sheldon, but Sheldon would've had a hard time convincing him to let him tag along. 

I prefer the focus to be on Sheldon, although I realize the other characters need to be developed as Sheldon reflects on these moments with an adult perspective.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Neiman said:

I prefer the focus to be on Sheldon, although I realize the other characters need to be developed as Sheldon reflects on these moments with an adult perspective.  

Same although I am realizing this may be an unpopular opinion!  The episodes that don't have at least some focus on Sheldon tend to be the weakest ones for me.  

• Love 3
On 1/22/2022 at 1:48 AM, Gimmick Genius said:

(Hee! Dressed as a Ferengi Grand Nagus!)

Easter Egg of all time! (I can handwave that DS9 wasn't on yet...) O, Wally Shawn! The gift that keeps on giving.

• Love 3
On 1/21/2022 at 2:02 PM, MollyMelrose said:

The Geezer Bus episode was so much fun and now Snarky Sci-Fi Nerds on Wheels - an absolute delight.

That's how I like my Young Sheldon - light, happy, fun ... and mobile?

(And, boy howdy. Iain Armitage sure isn't a little guy any more. He's all teenager now.)

All future episodes of YS should be set on a bus - can't lose. Loved both the Geezer Bus and sci-fi convention geeks!! 😉😁

On 1/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, Yeah No said:

I think she went overboard with the guilt, but I do think it was kind of smarmy to peddle that stuff at a bible study group meeting.

Agreed. She could have waited until the Bible Study was over.