Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Matt Lucas -- out of GBBO.  

Per the Guardian:

Matt Lucas has announced he is stepping down from his presenting role on The Great British Bake Off.

The 48-year-old comedian, who has hosted the popular Channel 4 show alongside Noel Fielding for three series, explained he was leaving as he could no longer commit to the programme’s schedule alongside his other projects, including his new hosting role on the revived comedy show Fantasy Football League.

In an Instagram post on Tuesday, he wrote: “Farewell Bake Off! It’s been a delicious experience and I can’t imagine a more fun way of spending my summers.

“But it’s become clear to me that I can’t present both Fantasy Football League and Bake Off alongside all my other projects.

Matt Lucas has announced he is stepping down from his presenting role on The Great British Bake Off.

The 48-year-old comedian, who has hosted the popular Channel 4 show alongside Noel Fielding for three series, explained he was leaving as he could no longer commit to the programme’s schedule alongside his other projects, including his new hosting role on the revived comedy show Fantasy Football League.

In an Instagram post on Tuesday, he wrote: “Farewell Bake Off! It’s been a delicious experience and I can’t imagine a more fun way of spending my summers.

“But it’s become clear to me that I can’t present both Fantasy Football League and Bake Off alongside all my other projects.

”So, after three series and 51 episodes, I am cheerfully passing the baguette on to someone else.”

• Love 2

I know so many people dislike Matt, but I tended to see him more as sweet than anything else.  Noel is the one who seems intrusive and mean spirited while Matt seems more lighthearted.  I think of Laura fan-girling him because she loved Les Mis and his handshake with Jurgen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I don't dislike Matt, but I'm not really sad to see him go either. Now if Noel left, I think I'd be outa here. I love him so much. I completely disagree that he's mean spirited. I think he's incredibly positive, sweet and encouraging, such a cheerleader for the bakers. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I could tolerate Noel until this season.  He really went off the rails in some of the episodes, spouting absolute gibberish as though he was either over- or under-medicated.  At one point Sybira told him to go away.  He was way over the line at times.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, luna1122again said:

I think he's incredibly positive, sweet and encouraging,

Isn’t he the one who tried to get the contestants to give each other a hard time?  Didn’t he suggest one wanted to punch Paul?  I thought I remembered his telling one baker that another baker was insulting them or stole an idea.  Not my cup of tea.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Isn’t he the one who tried to get the contestants to give each other a hard time?  Didn’t he suggest one wanted to punch Paul?  I thought I remembered his telling one baker that another baker was insulting them or stole an idea.  Not my cup of tea.

Those are clearly jokes, not remotely serious. He's the first one to step up when a baker is upset or wigging out about something, with words of encouragement and positivity. But if you don't like him, you don't like him. 

• Love 5

Regardless of what we may perceive as intrusive, annoying or playful hosts in these short interactions with the bakers, there are, of course, several hours we don't see. Editing things out of context is a reality show staple anyway, and I'm guessing we're probably seeing only the punchiest, most entertaining bits, even if it may appear a baker is annoyed. And I'd like to believe that they're fairly spending about the same amount of time distracting each baker!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SG429 said:

I'm guessing we're probably seeing only the punchiest, most entertaining bits,

If that's the case, I can't imagine what was left on the cutting room floor.  There wasn't a single bit between Noel and Matt that I found funny this year. Noel and Matt, much like Noel and Sandy, just didn't have any chemistry together.  Mel and Sue had worked together for years, and it showed. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

If that's the case, I can't imagine what was left on the cutting room floor.  There wasn't a single bit between Noel and Matt that I found funny this year. Noel and Matt, much like Noel and Sandy, just didn't have any chemistry together.  Mel and Sue had worked together for years, and it showed. 

I was discussing just the host/baker interactions during the bakes.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:34 PM, MerBearHou said:

I wish Matt well, but will not miss him one bit on GBBO.  

My husband is not happy. He likes him. Noel and him were the only reason I could get him to watch the show. So, to each his own. I didn't mind him. 

I just learned that Matt left. I'm kind of glad, I didn't really care for him on the show.

I do like Noel though. Maybe he could just host by himself? Then have the skits at the beginning be him, Paul & Prue.

I got a new tv and one of the free channels on it is Roku, by luck I clicked on it and found that it's streaming gbbo and it's starts with season 1 which is   one season that I've never seen. So there goes my weekend,btw it says that season 1-7 are available to stream for free.

Edited by mtsmvfn
To make it make sense
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 12/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, Crs97 said:

I know so many people dislike Matt, but I tended to see him more as sweet than anything else.  Noel is the one who seems intrusive and mean spirited while Matt seems more lighthearted.  I think of Laura fan-girling him because she loved Les Mis and his handshake with Jurgen. 

I know an unpopular opinion, but I do think the weird vibe Noel brought to the show changed it for the worse. I could see, for example Sandy and Matt working together much like the original hosts. Matt needed the right co-host, and Noel wasn’t it.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

I know an unpopular opinion, but I do think the weird vibe Noel brought to the show changed it for the worse. I could see, for example Sandy and Matt working together much like the original hosts. Matt needed the right co-host, and Noel wasn’t it.

It's not unpopular with me.  It's not that I don't like Noel but I just don't think he's the right host for this show.  It's weird because I can definitely see where he'd be the more likable host in many hosting scenarios but I can't get over the fact that I just don't think likes this job.  For all of Matt's faults (and I've never been a big fan), I did get the feeling he was invested in the show and the contestants.  And if he had a partner giving off the same vibe, I could see him being a part of a kick butt duo.  I think he and Sandi would have been very good together.

I just just hope they get as a new host is a home run.  And confident because I don't want them deferring to Noel. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Ditto Noel out. 😔  Prue wants someone she's heard of. (Sorry don't have more intel) Sne didn't know Matt or Noel.

I liked Noel on The IT Crew.

Edited by Ms Lark
Because I misread the article and I was wrong about Noel leaving.
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

Please don't tease me. This better be true.

Sadly, I'm not seeing any online info that Noel is leaving.  He talks about how much he'll miss Matt on the show . . . so it doesn't sound like Noel is going anywhere.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Sadly, I'm not seeing any online info that Noel is leaving.  He talks about how much he'll miss Matt on the show . . . so it doesn't sound like Noel is going anywhere.

I think you're right. The article came through my phone and I think I misread it.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a42293492/gbbo-prue-noel-matt-confession/

In my defense, I'm on heavy drugs following a total knee replacement. Gnarly! Sorry. I'm actually glad I was wrong! [Note to self: do not drug and post on Primetimer! 😔]

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I think you're right. The article came through my phone and I think I misread it.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a42293492/gbbo-prue-noel-matt-confession/

In my defense, I'm on heavy drugs following a total knee replacement. Gnarly! Sorry. I'm actually glad I was wrong! [Note to self: do not drug and post on Primetimer! 😔]

Best wishes on your recovery.  I had a TKR about 5-1/2 years ago.  Two weeks ago, I had rotator cuff surgery, so I've been hitting the pain meds, too.  This getting old thing sucks.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
On 11/13/2022 at 12:02 PM, magdalene said:

And this is exactly why I think no American version is ever going to match the original version in charm.

So, the American kids would have "creamed" the British kids, in other words destroyed them. The American kids are already "professional level", so much better than the British kids, oh my.  

What I like about the British show, including the kids version, is that the contestants are normal people who are very skilled bakers because it's their hobby, their passion.  The rule is no professional bakers are allowed. I don't want any cut throat nasty American bakers "creaming" the other bakers.

I watch the British version to relax and de-stress instead of the opposite.

I'm an avid viewer of Kids Baking Championship, and in my experience, the kidtestants they cast are as far as you can get from cutthroat or nasty. They're incredibly competent, and some of them are pretty precocious and camera-ready, but they're generally cute, sweet kids who love to bake and are really good at it. (Another plus for the show in my eyes is the hosts/judges who are super good at relating to children.) I've only seen a couple episodes of Junior Bake Off, but it seems accurate to say the skill level is lower. It's just an observation.

I was shocked when I watched the finale of the American Holiday Baking Championship, and they were helping each other, even to the point of one contestant telling another that her cakes looked done and she should check them even though she had planned to cook them an extra five minutes.  I feel like I have GBBO to thank!

• Like 1

I don't see anything about this here, which surprised me. Sorry if I just missed it.

Matt Lucas’s Time on ‘Great British Bake Off’ Is Cooked

After three seasons, 51 episodes, and a whole lot of viewer anguish, Great British Baking Show co-host Matt Lucas is leaving the tent for good. I personally could not be more thrilled, and it seems like just about everyone else on the internet feels exactly the same way.

Yep, me too. I never liked him on the show, so I won't miss him at all.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It was posted several weeks ago. 🙂

I must have missed it when I searched, was it in this thread?

EDITED: Of course, NOW I find it, I can't imagine how I missed it. Anyway, sorry for the unnecessary post.

Edited by GaT

Have we mentioned yet that Giuseppe has a book out: Giuseppe's Italian Bakes: Over 60 Classic Cakes, Desserts & Savory Bakes

I just stumbled over it, looks a bit old fashioned (judging by the cover and some pictures). If anyone gets hold of it, let us know if its worth buying. I've been burnt with former Bake Off contestant's book before.

3 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Out of curiosity, whose books haven’t you liked?

Edd Kimbers tray bakes book - I've tried quite a few recipes and nothing has turned out right. I also have the very first GBBO book (got it as a gift) and never used it because for the bakes that interest me, I have better recipes in other books.
I will say though, that I have done a few things from Nadiya's BBC shows, and those were quite good. And I have Chetna's book, which I like, but it is about Indian streeet food, not baking.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

Edd Kimbers tray bakes book - I've tried quite a few recipes and nothing has turned out right. I also have the very first GBBO book (got it as a gift) and never used it because for the bakes that interest me, I have better recipes in other books.
I will say though, that I have done a few things from Nadiya's BBC shows, and those were quite good. And I have Chetna's book, which I like, but it is about Indian streeet food, not baking.

I also have Edd Kimber’s first book (bought as an ebook bargain), though I haven’t actually used it. Same for Chetna Makan’s street food book, Chai, Chat, and Chutney. But I also have, and have used, her first baking book, The Cardamom Trail: Chetna Bakes with Flavors of the East, and everything I’ve made from it has been great. And I’ve got her new book, Chetna’s Easy Baking with a Twist of Spice (another ebook bargain), and the recipes look interesting and appealing. I recently took Benjamina Ebuehi’s new book, A Good Day to Bake out of the library, and while I didn’t have a chance to bake from it while I had it checked out, the recipes looked good (her recipes are easy enough to preview via  her blog and Guardian column). 

A friend gave me Ruby Tandoh’s new cookbook for Christmas, but that’s not baking. 

Edited by caitmcg
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Aulty said:

Edd Kimbers tray bakes book - I've tried quite a few recipes and nothing has turned out right.

I have his Small Batch Bakes and love it. I just ordered the One Tin Bakes to look through and see if there is anything I want to make. 

• Like 1

I've only really seen her on Celebrity Masterchef. Can't say she did anything on that to make me a fan.

I'm trying to remember if it was her or another woman who made constant jokes about eating too much food. Which... yeah, okay, we get it. Come up with some different material.