Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

I was just playing a game on Facebook and there was an ad for "how is your native accent" (not sure about exactly what it was for because I didn't click on it further) and I swear that the woman featured in the ad was on BakeOff - one of the quarantine seasons - she was a redhead with a thick accent (obviously) and was really quirky - wore her hair braided on her head a lot, wore bright clothing, and a lot of her bakes were a little messy but usually very bright.  Has anyone else seen it and am I imaging things (I wish I could remember her name - maybe a Lizzy or something...).

9 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I was just playing a game on Facebook and there was an ad for "how is your native accent" (not sure about exactly what it was for because I didn't click on it further) and I swear that the woman featured in the ad was on BakeOff - one of the quarantine seasons - she was a redhead with a thick accent (obviously) and was really quirky - wore her hair braided on her head a lot, wore bright clothing, and a lot of her bakes were a little messy but usually very bright.  Has anyone else seen it and am I imaging things (I wish I could remember her name - maybe a Lizzy or something...).

There was a Lizzie on the same season as Chigs, Giuseppe, Crystelle and Jurgen.  She had brightly colored hair and a pronounced Liverpool accent.  I'd love to see the Facebook ad!!!

I'm reasonably sure it is her...this person wasn't "ad pretty" if you know what I mean (not saying she wasn't attractive but women in ads are usually scarily perfect).  If I see it again I will pay more attention (I was on June's Journey).

• Like 1

Judge Paul Hollywood expressed his regret, saying: “I’d literally come back from Mexico about three weeks before we filmed the episode. I was all over the place, and we set the challenges based on what I’d seen there. The challenges were very good, and everyone did a good job.”

Did he go to a Taco Bell and mistake it for Mexico?  

• LOL 5

Also from the Deadline article:

Fellow judge Dame Prue Leith added: “The thing about Bake Off is that it absolutely represents inclusivity and diversity and tolerance and togetherness. So the idea that we were set out to insult anybody is ridiculous.”

I don't think anyone was saying they intended to be offensive. I think that what is ridiculous is the implication that you have to set out to offend someone in order to be offensive.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, janie jones said:

don't think anyone was saying they intended to be offensive. I think that what is ridiculous is the implication that you have to set out to offend someone in order to be offensive

Exactly.  I don’t think they sat around asking, “How can we offend people?”.  But how was it they sat around describing the proposed episode and no one said, “Hey, wait a minute . . .”?

• Like 6

I live in Texas so the decor used in this particular theme was par for the course in almost every Mexican food restaurant and market in my area.  Having said that, I just felt the "theme" weeks were boring and not particularly about baking which is what this show is all about.  I truly do hope that they get back to the basics...I don't care if we've seen them make a particular dish in prior seasons - we haven't seen THESE PARTICULAR PEOPLE's versions of that dish.

• Like 5

I know season 13 got a lot of backlash from critics and fans alike but I feel like they say Back to Basics every damn season.  Our expectations are not that unreasonable.  Challenges that don't rely on gimmicks, baking not cooking, and give them enough damn time to complete the challenges.

And not all the theme weeks were bad.  German week was fine, the European week they did in Season 5 (with the Princesstarta) was a good one.  They just need to do their damn research.  I'm surprised they haven't done Mediterranean since that is an area Paul knows.  Just go with traditional bakes that respect the culture instead of adhere to stereotypes.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 10

My Digital TV guide is showing Bake Off airing on Tuesday the 26th September.

Tuesday the 12th, Channel 4 is airing a football match in the Bake Off time slot.

Tuesday the 19th, they're airing a documentary "The truth about the 'skinny' jab".  Somebody in the scheduling department has a twisted sense of humor by putting that on instead of the baking show we're waiting for!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

My Digital TV guide is showing Bake Off airing on Tuesday the 26th September.

Tuesday the 12th, Channel 4 is airing a football match in the Bake Off time slot.

Tuesday the 19th, they're airing a documentary "The truth about the 'skinny' jab".  Somebody in the scheduling department has a twisted sense of humor by putting that on instead of the baking show we're waiting for!

Yeah, looks like they pushed it ahead. The 26th is the most likely date now but no official confirmation. I usually see more buzz the week before the premiere but didn't see any this past week. I'm hiding the episode topic until it's been announced.

• Like 1

According to this article, the new season of GBBO will premiere Tuesday September 26 8PM on Channel 4 UK.

The anticipated start date was announced on Bake Off’s official social media channel, with a new teaser image of the show’s judges Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood, alongside hosts Noel Fielding and Alison Hammond.

• Like 1

Finally found an official Netflix start. Netflix says on their site that it begins on September 29! (This is in the US). I’m still waiting to read an article where we can meet the contestants! Hopefully that will come out this week. 🎂 🥧  🥐  🧁 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

In the past, the beginning of a new series would be the cue to resub to Netflix. But I was so underwhelmed by the last series that I'm going to wait until Netflix offers something else I'm interested in to make the price worthwhile.

• Like 1

Ugh, this annoys me. There's been pretty much universal agreement in the media and by fans that this season was excellent and a return to the show that we all fell in love with. 

He even says as much and then, at the end, throws in two sentences of criticism. 

Its the title of the piece--it just screams attention-seeking from a former contestant looking to get back in the spotlight  

A better title would have been something like "GBBO Returning to Form" or something like that. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/03/great-british-bake-off-triumphs-contestant-michael-chakraverty

As an American I don't see hardly any of the other shows - if we see the holiday shows we see them a year later.  I don't think the Cancer formatted one was shown in the U.S. - at least not on the channels to which I subscribe.  Bake Off is definitely "must see TV" for me.

Sometimes the author of the piece isn't in charge of what it is titled...hope that is the case because he was a likeable contestant who I don't want to think ill of.

17 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Which will be next Christmas for us in the States. ***sigh***

Exactly. I wonder why that is? I mean it's probably some rights issue but we are getting the normal season at the same time (well a few days later).

On 2/17/2024 at 6:06 PM, peeayebee said:

Anyway, this sounds like a show worth checking out

I was interested in seeing Noel Fielding in something else since I only know him through GBBO.  I lasted about 10 minutes.  It's like the skits at the beginning of the GBBO episodes, everything is wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  I appreciate that there are different styles of comedy, but this one wasn't for me. 

I don’t know if this belongs here but, I’m in the US. I just found season ONE from 2010 on my Roku channel. It’s so fun to see 14 years younger Paul, Mary, Sue and Mel. They gave little history stories on what they were baking , no goofy comedy skits, just baking. Fun to watch. 

• Like 4