Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

I have a question and figured I just asked it here. I just started watching this on netflix (not sure why I didn't want it before) and already spoiled myself trying to figure this out this question without getting an answer. On netflix says is "season 1" but it's actually season 5? Does anyone know why Neflix would list them out of order?

10 minutes ago, blueray said:

I have a question and figured I just asked it here. I just started watching this on netflix (not sure why I didn't want it before) and already spoiled myself trying to figure this out this question without getting an answer. On netflix says is "season 1" but it's actually season 5? Does anyone know why Neflix would list them out of order?

Try not to think about this too much, you'll make your brain explode. The reason is because PBS first broadcast the show in the US. They didn't start with the UK series 1, they started with UK series 5, but because it was the first season PBS broadcast, they called it season 1. Netflix bought the rights from PBS, so they called it season 1 also, & that's why it's so confusing. If you look at the Mod Notes thread, the first post lists what the US vs the UK seasons/series are.  

• Love 4

Not the most reliable source in the world, but the Sun has an article up that sais that they won't cast older bakers for the new season, that they are keen to start shooting and that cast and crew will quarantine together because they can't get insurance for 80 year old Prue otherwise.

Does anyone know whether they have had them stay at the filming location in the previous series? As far as I know the contestants used to spend the week between the two shooting days at home and travelled back and forth (a few bakers have mentioned travelling by train). In Australia they have them stay at the location  for at least a few episode, because I remember someone complaining that she hasn't seen her kids in a while.

9 hours ago, Aulty said:

Does anyone know whether they have had them stay at the filming location in the previous series?

I don't know if they've never had them quarantine together but there was a lot of focus on the contestants returning home and being able to practice during the week.

I suspect they'll have to film it like they film the American version where they pretty much bake daily.  It'll be interesting to see the effect it has on the bakes overall.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Aulty said:

Not the most reliable source in the world, but the Sun has an article up that sais that they won't cast older bakers for the new season, that they are keen to start shooting and that cast and crew will quarantine together because they can't get insurance for 80 year old Prue otherwise.

I hope this isn't true. One, I like the older bakers, they add realism to the show. Two, not going home between bakes is going to change the feel of the show.  As @Irlandesa has already mentioned, they go home & practice during the week. Not being able to do that will change what they are able to do on the show.  Also, being able to go home & see their family is one of the reasons we don't get all the stupid drama you see on other reality shows. I don't want this to become like other reality shows, I want this show to keep it's unique appeal.

• Love 18

A main part of the show is that the people go home and practice. This often leads to a lot of the personal stuff. Like contestant is working a full time job (or school) while trying to practice. 

If they do start filming they could scatter the contestants (which will get easier as there is less of them). Those tables are almost 6 feet apart. They could have half the bakers do the signature/show stopper in two shifts at least at the beginning. So the first day will have three judging (one being the technical) and the other two being the two signatures. Then the second day would have the two show stoppers. The hard one would be the technical. I suppose they can have them wear masks while doing this challenge as they all have to be there at the same time as it's a blind judging. Then stay at their stations during the judging. As obviously Paul and Prue (?) can't wear masks while tasting the food.

(edited)

Channel 4's Bake-Off is set to start filming later this month with contestants and crew having quarantined for 14 days. [Mirror]

The tabloids had a few articles about the possibility of the 2020 series getting cancelled over they past weels, but it seems they will go ahead - they may ban Hollywood handshakes though. A TV getting cancelled does not seem that important in the grand scheme of things, but this is such a beloved, comforting show that having it on will probably be soothing to a lot of people.

It still sounds like they will go with shooting everything over 2-3 weeks without the contestants going home in between - sensible, but probably really really stressful for everyone.

Edited by Aulty
11 hours ago, Aulty said:

It still sounds like they will go with shooting everything over 2-3 weeks without the contestants going home in between - sensible, but probably really really stressful for everyone.

I am actually very interested to see how that affects the show. I do think a huge part of what makes it so delightful is that the bakers are going along with their real life, seeing their families, etc and not being stuck together the whole time. I hope this doesn't hurt the nice, sweet, friendly vibe of the show, but I am curious to see if it will. 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I am actually very interested to see how that affects the show. I do think a huge part of what makes it so delightful is that the bakers are going along with their real life, seeing their families, etc and not being stuck together the whole time. I hope this doesn't hurt the nice, sweet, friendly vibe of the show, but I am curious to see if it will. 

Well, this is going to be closer to how the various US versions of the show have been filmed, with mixed results.  (They've been getting it better the last few seasons.)  I do think the ability to go home and practice for the next episode's bakes enhances the quality of what is produced.  And, although the bakers as a group do generally get along with each other, living together in a hotel for several weeks can be stressful.  

• Love 1

If they do go forward with a new season, with everyone quarantined together, it will have a big impact on they type of contestants they get.  It will eliminate anyone who cannot take 2-3 weeks off of work or life obligations, and that isn't even counting any pre-filming quarantine that may be necessary.  (So we're maybe looking at a 3-5 week commitment to be on the show.)  I don't know why there's talk of not including "older" bakers (whatever that means), since older people would be more likely to have the time available.  I wonder if this is a health risk (insurance?) issue or just producer's choice?

So, if no "older" bakers, and only people who have nothing else to do for 3-5 weeks...  that gives us a whole bunch of 20-somethings.  That really doesn't speak to GBBO's demographics.

• Love 12
On 7/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, chaifan said:

If they do go forward with a new season, with everyone quarantined together, it will have a big impact on they type of contestants they get.  It will eliminate anyone who cannot take 2-3 weeks off of work or life obligations, and that isn't even counting any pre-filming quarantine that may be necessary.  (So we're maybe looking at a 3-5 week commitment to be on the show.)  I don't know why there's talk of not including "older" bakers (whatever that means), since older people would be more likely to have the time available.  I wonder if this is a health risk (insurance?) issue or just producer's choice?

So, if no "older" bakers, and only people who have nothing else to do for 3-5 weeks...  that gives us a whole bunch of 20-somethings.  That really doesn't speak to GBBO's demographics.

I almost always prefer the older bakers. Experience counts for something. I hope this doesn't become another reality show where they cast for looks. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, peggy06 said:

Experience counts for something.

A lot of times, though, the older contestants have been relatively early to leave, because they make great "grandma" or "grandpa" cookies or cakes, but can't really expand their repertoire. 

• Love 2
On 8/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, dleighg said:

A lot of times, though, the older contestants have been relatively early to leave, because they make great "grandma" or "grandpa" cookies or cakes, but can't really expand their repertoire. 

I've noticed this too. The only exceptions are probably actually slightly younger and more energy like Nancy did.

Edited by blueray
34 minutes ago, blueray said:

I've noticed this too. The only exceptions are probably actually slightly younger and more energy like Nancy did.

There was also Brendan from S3, who according to Wikipedia was 63 (Nancy was 60 when she won) and also made the final.

ETA: Also S7's Jane was 61, but Brendan looks like the oldest finalist to date. Mind you, given S10's cast (only one over 40), that record will likely stand for a bit.

Edited by dewelar
Forgot about Jane
  • Love 3

It is quite noticable even with the way the challenges are set up that the production wants the bakers to produce instagrammable stuff and go for ideas that are hot on Pinterest. As the viewers have to trust the judges when it comes to taste, the creative and elaborate designs are giving them at least some idea of the baker's abilities. I think this is why (sometimes older) contestant who are just really good at baking but not trawling the net for the latest trends seem less exciting and have a harder time this past few series.

When Brendan and Nancy where on the show it as still a bit more on the traditional side. That was back when the signature challenge was still introduced as something the bakers make at home for their families. I remember when Frances was on series 4 she was a bit of an odd one out with her whacky ideas (the breadsticks!). I think it changed a bit with the Nadyia series.

Me, I hate fussy desserts and would rather have a basic cake that tastes good than a baked self-portrait that uses half a crafts cabinet. I did like things like Danish week where the focus is on new techniques or flavours because those are things I would try out at home even if I'd have to the 1-2 special ingredients. I will try to bake a 5 pie tower or recreate the crown jewels in cream and fondant just because they did it on the show.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 7
On 8/4/2020 at 6:47 PM, dewelar said:

There was also Brendan from S3, who according to Wikipedia was 63 (Nancy was 60 when she won) and also made the final.

ETA: Also S7's Jane was 61, but Brendan looks like the oldest finalist to date. Mind you, given S10's cast (only one over 40), that record will likely stand for a bit.

In S2, a grandmother made it to the final four. Granted that was in 2011. 

On 8/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, blueray said:

Contestants like Nancy are what I'd love to see more of.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, peggy06 said:

In S2, a grandmother made it to the final four. Granted that was in 2011. 

Ah, Janet. I liked her quite a bit, as I have most of the older competitors.

I do wonder if there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation developing, in that older bakers may be applying less often because of the everything-Instagrammable mindset the show has formed.

• Love 3
On 9/6/2020 at 1:33 AM, lambertman said:

And we have a UK premiere date of September 22. Should be 9/25 on Netflix if the status quo holds. 

What a great way to celebrate my birthday on the 22nd of September, knowing GBBO is premiering in the UK.  Just a pity I live in Australia, so who knows how long I'll have to wait to see it here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

According to this article, Netflix may not have it until "sometime in 2021."  Grrrrr.

The article also says that it wouldn't debut in the UK until the end of 2020.  That's not how I would describe a Sep. debut.  So let's cross our fingers their estimations are off. It certainly doesn't sound like they had inside information.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Netflix currently has exclusive American rights to the show.

And has been airing new episodes in the US a week or so after the UK premiers for the last several seasons.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm new to Netflix, but itsn't it fairly standard that they get TV episodes at least a year after they debut on network?

It depends on the show. There’s a number of shows that air/aired on Netflix Ireland within a day or two of their USA network premiere. (Star Trek Discovery, The Good Place etc). If a UKshow is popular, there’s no reason they couldn’t have a similar arrangement in place. 

On 9/7/2020 at 4:36 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm new to Netflix, but itsn't it fairly standard that they get TV episodes at least a year after they debut on network?

Last year Netflix added one episode a week.  I believe it appeared the Friday after the original airing on Sunday.  Seasons 8 and 9 were added only weeks after their respective finales aired.  So whichever way it goes it will not be a long wait.

Either way I think we can all agree that we all have waited patiently and deserve this.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Last year Netflix added one episode a week.  I believe it appeared the Friday after the original airing on Sunday.  Seasons 8 and 9 were added only weeks after their respective finales aired.  So whichever way it goes it will not be a long wait.

Either way I think we can all agree that we all have waited patiently and deserve this.

This show makes me happy, and calms me amid the world's nonsense.  I would watch a rerun of this long before a new episode of just about anything else.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, laredhead said:

SuprSuprElevated, I recently rewatched one season because I liked the contestants so much.  It was the one where the older gentleman (Brendan?) was a finalist.

One of my local PBS stations is showing that season right now. They've shown all their content in the past couple of months. 

• Love 1

I am rematching the season with John, James and Brendan, too. It's a comforting show to watch in my downtime. I really hope the show keeps some of its "rhubarb and custard" homey feel and doesn't get too hipster/slick with the new season. I loved that in past seasons there were bakers of varying age groups, "attractiveness," and backgrounds.

• Love 6

The contestants have been unveiled - the oldest baker is 61 but she looks very spritely and not like a granny/grandda candidate. They youngest is a 20 year old lad. They look a likeable and handsome bunch though.

As per the TV listings for Channel 4, Extra Slice will be back too. I don't watch that annex show anymore, it has become to loud and silly, but I am curious how that will be structured - especially in light of the new Corona restrictions in the UK.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3

Drat.  The last line of the article (above) had me excited for a minute, talking about the Sept. 18 premiere date, until I realized that was for Extra Slice, not the regular GBBO. 

Anyone know if Extra Slice is available in the US? 

And, for those in the US who need to get their fix of pleasant British people doing nice things while behaving properly on camera (aka the antithesis of every US reality show), check out The Repair Shop on Netflix.  It has nothing at all to do with baking, but it is interesting and fun in it's own right. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Drat.  The last line of the article (above) had me excited for a minute, talking about the Sept. 18 premiere date, until I realized that was for Extra Slice, not the regular GBBO. 

Prepare to become very happy:

Capture.JPG

• Love 22
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Capture.JPG

@AZChristian, I love you!!!

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Anyone know if Extra Slice is available in the US? 

And, for those in the US who need to get their fix of pleasant British people doing nice things while behaving properly on camera (aka the antithesis of every US reality show), check out The Repair Shop on Netflix.  It has nothing at all to do with baking, but it is interesting and fun in it's own right. 

The Repair Shop Is so charming and interesting. I’d love more seasons of that wonderful show. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The Repair Shop Is so charming and interesting. I’d love more seasons of that wonderful show. 

Dunno how many episodes are available on Netflix US, but that show is already in its 6th series and has accumulated over 100 episodes 🙂

18 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Dunno how many episodes are available on Netflix US, but that show is already in its 6th series and has accumulated over 100 episodes 🙂

Only two seasons on Netflix.  😢   I need to take time and look for other seasons on YT.

3 hours ago, cynicat said:

I see that we have a topic for season 11, as it is airing in the UK.  I thought I'd share this little tidbit in case others are like me and evidently live under a rock:   Netflix will be premiering the new season of the Great British Bake Off on September 25.

So I guess it's shown a few days earlier in the UK and then we get it on Netflix?

You need to come out from under that rock.  This was posted last week.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, AZChristian said:

Capture.JPG

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

You need to come out from under that rock.  This was posted last week.

You know, I usually follow the old TWOP 5 page rule and I clearly got lazy on this one.  D'oh!   😕

• LOL 5