Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

On 12/2/2021 at 6:09 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Heads up, everyone!  The 3rd season of GBBO, known on Netflix as GBBO: The Beginnings, will be leaving Netflix on Dec 31st.  So if you want to do a re-watch, do it now.

Is it just that one? I'm currently watching Netflix season 4 (with Selasi and Candice) and am getting the same message at the start of each episode. Say it isn't so!

Oh no! Are they all going away?  Beginnings is one of my favorites. I am rewatching it right now. I love rewatching the older seasons and took for granted they would always be available to me. One of the mayor reasons I subscribe to Netflix is Bake Off.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Is it just that one? I'm currently watching Netflix season 4 (with Selasi and Candice) and am getting the same message at the start of each episode. Say it isn't so!

Yes, I am getting the same message for all the prior seasons. Looks like they are all going to be gone.  Is it silly that I want to cry? There doesn't seem to be any other way to watch it then.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, magdalene said:

Yes, I am getting the same message for all the prior seasons. Looks like they are all going to be gone.  Is it silly that I want to cry? There doesn't seem to be any other way to watch it then.

Bake Off is also one of the reasons I subscribe to Netflix--a watch the reruns as a sort of relaxing bedtime routine sometimes. I wonder if it isn't Netflix, but the show/whoever owns the rights that is removing them? Perhaps they are moving to ANOTHER! streaming platform like Britbox? I refuse to subscribe to numerous streaming services on principle.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I wonder if it isn't Netflix, but the show/whoever owns the rights that is removing them? Perhaps they are moving to ANOTHER! streaming platform like Britbox? I refuse to subscribe to numerous streaming services on principle.

I think unless its a co-production the streaming services "rent" those shows/seasons for a set amount of time and then they can either extend that or some other streaming service picks it up.
Friends used to be on Prime but is on Netflix now. Maybe those early Bake Off seasons will pop up on Britbox or Hulu.

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Bake Off is also one of the reasons I subscribe to Netflix--a watch the reruns as a sort of relaxing bedtime routine sometimes. I wonder if it isn't Netflix, but the show/whoever owns the rights that is removing them? Perhaps they are moving to ANOTHER! streaming platform like Britbox? I refuse to subscribe to numerous streaming services on principle.

My thoughts as well.  The show is far too popular to go away...for long.  They have no doubt figured a way to increase the revenue, we just don't know it yet.  My adversarial relationship with the teevee grows with every passing day.  Television watching shouldn't require the investment line item expense that it now has in my household.  This is getting out of control.  Cutting the cable cord will end up meaning nothing.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I think it's all the Mel and Sue hosted seasons with Mary Berry. Which really sucks. The other ones, I think Netflix has exclusive rights to in the US.

Theoretically, the early seasons ought to be available on PBS Passport in the US?  I don't have PBS Passport, it's a paid service.  Could someone who has PBS Passport confirm that?

• Useful 1
18 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I read that Friends is also leaving Netflix.

Friends left Netflix in the US in 2020. It’s now on HBO Max, and Warner Brothers apparently isn’t renewing the license to Netflix in a lot of other markets (WB owns HBO Max). It’s happening a lot with shows owned by companies that have launched their own pay services. For instance, some AMC shows are now only on AMC's pay service, and I imagine others will leave Netflix when their current lease is up.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, magdalene said:

So all Netflix will have is the most recent seasons? Thanks a lot Netflix!

I wouldn't mind at all if Netflix took the Noel seasons off the air (the do not, for me, have a rewatchability factor) but the Mel/Sue seasons are my happy place when I've had a tough day and just want a cuppa and a visit with some old "friends". BOOOOOOOOO

• Love 2

The only reason I re-subbed to Netflix was to watch this season of GBBO.  In fact, I would say that about 95% of what I have watched on Netflix is episodes of GBBO.  No show, no need to re-sub for me, until the next new season.  Then I’ll just wait for the show to get a few episodes in, so that I only have to pay for 1 month.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I wouldn't mind at all if Netflix took the Noel seasons off the air (the do not, for me, have a rewatchability factor)

Ditto.  You couldn't pay me enough to rewatch anything with Noel and Matt.  They were disgusting together.

• Love 3

So I have browsed through all the seasons available to see which are going and which are staying, and which have the "leaving Netflix 12/31" crawl on the screen - all the seasons up to Noel and Sandy joining the show as the new hosts are going. It seems all the seasons after the show left the BBC are staying on Netflix.

I want to know where the BBC/PBS seasons are going next - it's bound to be behind another pay wall...

I have been watching these older episodes after difficult and stressful days to wind down, and I naively took them for granted on Netflix. I am sure they won't disappear altogether but it's going to cost more money and may be more complicated to access them in the future. Bleh, probably will have to pay  2 streaming services to watch one show.

Edited by magdalene
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, magdalene said:

Theoretically, the early seasons ought to be available on PBS Passport in the US?  I don't have PBS Passport, it's a paid service.  Could someone who has PBS Passport confirm that?

I don't currently have Passport, but I checked the website of my local PBS station, and it looks like the first 5 seasons (as aired in the US) are available including all of Paul and Mary's Masterclass episodes.  Were there only 5 seasons on PBS before Netflix took it over? 

I guess you could consider Passport a streaming service, but it comes with a basic $5/month subscription to PBS.  So you're not just paying a corporate entity, you're supporting public television. 👍

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I happened to catch one of those GBBO Masterclass things on PBS yesterday (with Paul and Mary, in 2014). I only saw the last half, but they seemed so delighted to be spending time with one another. It was really nice to watch! (I know this isn't really media-related)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't currently have Passport, but I checked the website of my local PBS station, and it looks like the first 5 seasons (as aired in the US) are available including all of Paul and Mary's Masterclass episodes.  Were there only 5 seasons on PBS before Netflix took it over? 

I guess you could consider Passport a streaming service, but it comes with a basic $5/month subscription to PBS.  So you're not just paying a corporate entity, you're supporting public television. 👍

I have Passport/PBS, and yes, it does have the "first" 5 seasons available.  (Which are seasons 3-7 in the UK numbering system.)  From there it went over to Netflix.  And, yes, you do get Passport with a $5/month donation to PBS.  There's no guarantee as to how long these seasons will remain on PBS, though.  Unfortunately, right now other than the 5 seasons all it has is 2 masterclass specials. 

Has there ever been an explanation as to why the "real" seasons 1 and 2 have never been made available in the US? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On DVD 

https://www.amazon.com/Great-British-Baking-Show-Seasons/dp/B07JDYTPMW

not sure if it’s the ones you are looking for 

22 hours ago, magdalene said:

So I have browsed through all the seasons available to see which are going and which are staying, and which have the "leaving Netflix 12/31" crawl on the screen - all the seasons up to Noel and Sandy joining the show as the new hosts are going. It seems all the seasons after the show left the BBC are staying on Netflix.

I want to know where the BBC/PBS seasons are going next - it's bound to be behind another pay wall...

I have been watching these older episodes after difficult and stressful days to wind down, and I naively took them for granted on Netflix. I am sure they won't disappear altogether but it's going to cost more money and may be more complicated to access them in the future. Bleh, probably will have to pay  2 streaming services to watch one show.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Has there ever been an explanation as to why the "real" seasons 1 and 2 have never been made available in the US? 

Not as far as I know.  I kept hoping that they would show up on Netflix.   I was able to watch S1 and most of S2 on Youtube several years ago.  I know the first season was slightly different.  They actually moved the tent from town to town (which is why it was in a tent to begin with) and they didn't have 12 contestants, I think maybe it was 8.  But the rest of the format - signature, technical, showstopper - was there, as were Paul and Mary, and Mel and Sue. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/4/2021 at 10:41 AM, magdalene said:

I think it's all the Mel and Sue hosted seasons with Mary Berry. Which really sucks. The other ones, I think Netflix has exclusive rights to in the US.

I can confirm that the old seasons are on passport (last I checked). I'm not sure if it is going away too :(. I hope not. As I also rewatch them as it's relaxing.

• Useful 1

Damn.  Damn. Damn.  I knew early seasons were leaving Netflix, but I was all, oh that's ok, because they're on PBS.  In fact, this whole discussion got me rewatching from PBS season 1, and I was half-way through PBS season 2.  And...

They're gone from PBS.  ☹️

Does anyone know if they've gone to other streaming platforms?  (Legal ones that we're allowed to list here.) 

Damn. 

2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Does anyone know if they've gone to other streaming platforms?  (Legal ones that we're allowed to list here.) 

They're currently still on Hoopla (free streaming service provided by some public libraries). 

• Love 3

I found I can access this on Hoopla, but, as @caitmcg, mentioned, there is a limit to 15 "borrows" per month.  I just checked my local library, and they have seasons 1-5 on DVD.  So that may be an option for people who want to watch/re-watch the earlier seasons. 

• Love 2

Before the early seasons went to Netflix and so I could watch them whenever I wanted, I bought the DVDs and they were fairly inexpensive, they are still available for purchase if people want to buy those seasons on either PBS.org or the Big A.

4 hours ago, chaifan said:

I found I can access this on Hoopla, but, as @caitmcg, mentioned, there is a limit to 15 "borrows" per month.  I just checked my local library, and they have seasons 1-5 on DVD.  So that may be an option for people who want to watch/re-watch the earlier seasons. 

Apparently not all Hoopla users are created equal. My limit is 20 titles (maybe set by local library?), but the point is still the same.

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Apparently not all Hoopla users are created equal. My limit is 20 titles (maybe set by local library?), but the point is still the same.

Indeed, each library system sets its own borrow limits (depending on how many it will pay for). Mine is 10, up from 7 in pre-pandemic times because we only had electronic access for a while when the libraries were fully closed. The other library I belong to in an adjoining city allows even fewer. Same deal with Kanopy, the library video streaming service.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Indeed, each library system sets its own borrow limits (depending on how many it will pay for). Mine is 10, up from 7 in pre-pandemic times because we only had electronic access for a while when the libraries were fully closed. The other library I belong to in an adjoining city allows even fewer. Same deal with Kanopy, the library video streaming service.

It's perhaps worth noting that hoopla works on a different model than what we think of for a library's operating costs. Instead of buying a copy of the book/show/etc that can be used until it falls apart, your library is charged for every borrow (which is why many libraries have limited their hoopla borrows).  One of the major library systems in my area (a major metropolitan are) found that hoopla was destroying their budget. At first they dropped the borrowing limits from 6 to 4 to 2 borrows per month, but last year they had to drop it completely. If you have a choice between borrowing the DVDs and using hoopla, you'd be doing your library a solid to do the DVDs. 

Edited by ombre
  • Useful 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Has anyone been able to find the Canadian Bake Off through legit methods in the US?

The Great Canadian Baking Show has its own YouTube channel with full episodes

• Love 3