Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

On 9/13/2020 at 6:11 AM, Adiba said:

I really hope the show keeps some of its "rhubarb and custard" homey feel and doesn't get too hipster/slick with the new season. I loved that in past seasons there were bakers of varying age groups, "attractiveness," and backgrounds.

Not only does it seem like they've done a much better job of casting this year than last, in terms of diversity in age range, etc, - but somebody actually uses rhubarb & custard in the very first bake! (that's so generic that I don't think it qualifies as a spoiler). 

(Nothing against anyone in last year's group, but I vastly prefer the atmosphere that results from having a full range of ages, & based on the first episode, it seems like this one will have more of the feel of past years). 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I can't get the sound to play on that.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

It seems to be silent. I found a YouTube (searched for Bohemian Rhapsody lyric video). It was 6 minutes but perfectly matched in time if you run them both simultaneously & pause this one at a couple of points. I think this was the one: 

I am so mad at Comcast!  I recorded all the seasons when they played on PBS.  So, there they are saved on my DVR.  I go to watch one and get a strange message about how they're having problems.  But they can find it on-demand, except that it won't start.  So, I go to On-demand manually, get to PBS on-demand, find the series, and ask to start up the episode.  I was trying to see a show from PBS Season 5 (with Brendan, James, and John), which is BBC Series 3.  The On-Demand menu goes crazy and starts cycling through all the episodes from Season 3, but you can't pick them and you can't exit out either - had to power down the cable to fix that.  Then when I look at the episodes stored on my DVR, all except the Master Classes are shown as complete generics - just a gray box with "The Great British Baking Show" in it.  They're gone.

The stupid PBS numbering system has driven Comcast around the bend!

With another lockdown on the cards for Britain, supermarkets are preparing for more panic buyers.  With Bake Off back on they not only have to make sure there is enough toilet paper but are stocking up on flour and other baking essentials. (as per some tabloids). This is both, hilarious and (a very Rosamunde Pilcher version of) British.

• LOL 2

That's nothing new here in the US.  The baking aisle in my grocery store was bare for months.  Not just no flour, but no yeast, no pancake mix, no Bisquick, no cake mixes.  King Arthur Flour in Vermont ran out of flour.  I think they started running their mill 24/7 to fill the need.  I don't even bake but last week when I saw some packaged yeast for the first time in 6 months, I bought some. 

• Love 1

Yes, although I have about half a bag of flour and an unopened bag of sugar, I'm thinking of putting both on my shopping list this week, along with paper towels and shelf-stable milk. I'll just have to hope the little packets of yeast from early spring are still viable.

This pandemic could have been Herman's biggest hour. Herman the friendship cake. This was a big thing back when I was at university - its basically a kind of sourdough that you look after before dividing and passing part of it on to friends and using the rest to make a cake and breed more dough (and make more cake). Once you got it going, you didn't need any more yeast and those things lasted for months.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I'll just have to hope the little packets of yeast from early spring are still viable.

The package I just bought has a "Best By" date of June 2022, so you're probably good to go.

2 hours ago, Aulty said:

Once you got it going, you didn't need any more yeast and those things lasted for months.

This is a cute book about a girl and her yeast:  Sourdough, a novel.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Aulty said:

This pandemic could have been Herman's biggest hour. Herman the friendship cake. This was a big thing back when I was at university - its basically a kind of sourdough that you look after before dividing and passing part of it on to friends and using the rest to make a cake and breed more dough (and make more cake). Once you got it going, you didn't need any more yeast and those things lasted for months.

When I had it, I think it was called friendship bread. I kept it going for months but after a certain point, I had given starter dough to everyone I knew (I even mailed it to some people!) and there were no more takers.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ABay said:

Yes, although I have about half a bag of flour and an unopened bag of sugar, I'm thinking of putting both on my shopping list this week, along with paper towels and shelf-stable milk. I'll just have to hope the little packets of yeast from early spring are still viable.

3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

The package I just bought has a "Best By" date of June 2022, so you're probably good to go.

This is a cute book about a girl and her yeast:  Sourdough, a novel.

Commercial yeast can be stored in the freezer for an indefinite period of time. This came in handy when I started running low earlier in the year too but luckily, I had some expired but workable yeast in my freezer.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When I had it, I think it was called friendship bread. I kept it going for months but after a certain point, I had given starter dough to everyone I knew (I even mailed it to some people!) and there were no more takers.

That friendship cake/bread thing comes in waves and oversaturation is usually how a cicle ends 😅 I was informed yesterday that Herman has a glutenfree sister called Hermione.

Speaking of yeast related literature,  I just started T Kingfisher's 'A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking' about a magician who can only do baking related magic. Its cute. (Its a young adult novel, but the description was so charming)

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Discussing post-BBC GBBO, its mistakes and perhaps recoveries.

Interesting take on things.  I guess I missed the unfair judging in the last season, it seemed the same to me. 

But let's face it, the pandemic has really put us all in a different frame of mind and I give them props for taking this on whilst away from their homes for an extended period.

• Love 4

I happened upon an short interview with Matt Lucas today on NPR.  A couple of things I remember from it:

• Matt had never even seen an episode of GBBO when he was asked to audition for host  (he subsequently watched an episode and fell in love with the show)
  • There were some group activities when they were all "in the bubble" during filming.  Among other things, Prue taught flower arranging classes, Matt was the caller on a Bingo night, and Paul had his personal pizza oven shipped in and cooked for the whole group several times.
  • Love 11

Can anyone tell me, using the picture of the bakers below, whether this "Season 1" DVD is the "real" season one (the very first season in 2010), or the US season 1 (years later)?  I was looking GBBO up in my library's system, seeing if I can get the first few seasons (unavailable on PBS or Netflix in the US) on DVD.  Thanks!

index.jpg

Edited by chaifan
10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Can anyone tell me, using the picture of the bakers below, whether this "Season 1" DVD is the "real" season one (the very first season in 2010), or the US season 1 (years later)?  I was looking GBBO up in my library's system, seeing if I can get the first few seasons (unavailable on PBS or Netflix in the US) on DVD.  Thanks!

index.jpg

There are photos of each season’s contestant on the UK website. This does not look like the real season 1 (largely because there were only 10 contestants in season 1 and there are 12 in your photo).

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

index.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is the PBS Season 1, or the British Season 5.  I recognize Richard Burr (runner-up) and Nancy Birtwhistle (winner) on the right side of the picture

In Season 1 in Britain, the tent was designed to move from town to town every year.  Also, a genuine "GBBO" DVD will show it as "Great British Bake-Off," not "Great British Baking Show."  They had to change the name for the seasons presented in the US, due to copyright infringement from Pillsbury for the word "bake-off."

I believe I found the earlier episodes on youtube.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

They had to change the name for the seasons presented in the US, due to copyright infringement from Pillsbury for the word "bake-off."

I always wondered why the title was changed.  Thanks for that info.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2020 at 8:04 AM, chaifan said:

index.jpg

The actual first season is on Netflix,it's called "The Great British Baking Show The beginning"

25 minutes ago, GaT said:

The actual first season is on Netflix,it's called "The Great British Baking Show The beginning"

Nope, that's UK S3 (2012) / US PBS S5 (2018). Neither Netflix US nor PBS ever aired S1 or S2 of GBBO.

This is a list of all seasons:

UK S1 (2010)
UK S2 (2011)
UK S3 (2012) = US PBS S5 (2018) = US Netflix "The Beginnings" collection 1
UK S4 (2013) = US PBS S2 (2015) = US Netflix collection 2
UK S5 (2014) = US PBS S1 (2015) = US Netflix collection 1
UK S6 (2015) = US PBS S3 (2016) = US Netflix collection 3
UK S7 (2016) = US PBS S4 (2017) = US Netflix collection 4
UK S8 (2017) = US Netflix collection 5
UK S9 (2018) = US Netflix collection 6
UK S10 (2019) = US Netflix collection 7
UK S11 (2020) = US Netflix collection 8

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nope, that's UK S3 (2012) / US PBS S5 (2018). Neither Netflix US nor PBS ever aired S1 or S2 of GBBO.

This is a list of all seasons:

UK S1 (2010)
UK S2 (2011)
UK S3 (2012) = US PBS S5 (2018) = US Netflix "The Beginnings" collection 1
UK S4 (2013) = US PBS S2 (2015) = US Netflix collection 2
UK S5 (2014) = US PBS S1 (2015) = US Netflix collection 1
UK S6 (2015) = US PBS S3 (2016) = US Netflix collection 3
UK S7 (2016) = US PBS S4 (2017) = US Netflix collection 4
UK S8 (2017) = US Netflix collection 5
UK S9 (2018) = US Netflix collection 6
UK S10 (2019) = US Netflix collection 7
UK S11 (2020) = US Netflix collection 8

Oh, I thought that was UK season 1. I saw 1 &  2 somewhere, I'll just have to think.

GBBO is now offering a subscription box

After watching the country’s top amateur bakers battle it out in the tent, you can now experience the show at home with your very own baking challenge. Available to pre-order now, The Bake Off Box is a monthly subscription service that delivers a recipe, specially developed by the team of baking experts behind the show, direct to your door. 

Starting from February, subscribers will receive an official recipe, along with carefully sourced dry ingredients and a unique, collectable piece of GBBO equipment, all contained within a beautifully designed box each month. The recipes featured will be suitable for all skill levels – whether you’re new to baking or a seasoned expert and will include a recipe card featuring photography to demonstrate each stage of the bake. The boxes include pre-portioned dry ingredients from handpicked suppliers, saving on time and helping to combat waste, along with a checklist for the fresh ingredients needed to complete the bake. From each box sold, 50p will be donated to Stand Up To Cancer, the charity The Great British Bake Off supports through its series of celebrity specials. 

This year has seen a boom in home baking, so The Bake Off Box makes the perfect Christmas gift for a loved one or treat to yourself. With three subscription options available: a rolling monthly subscription (£19.99 per month), a 3-month bundle (£59.97), or a 6-month bundle (£119.94) – the choice is yours. Those looking to gift The Bake Off Box will receive a personalised digital gift certificate to either be printed at home or forwarded on to the gift recipient.

Becca Watson, Home Economist for The Great British Bake Off, said: “We know how many are inspired to bake when the show is on air. The Bake Off Box takes that one step further, delivering the Bake Off recipes direct to your door, so that everyone can join in, test their skills and get a taste of what they see on screen. We have spent a while developing the best recipes for you to bake at home, drawing on the know-how acquired over many seasons of Bake Off and sourcing the best ingredients, so that, free from the time constraints of the tent, you can treat friends and family to the show’s signature bakes, made by you, in the comfort of your own kitchen.”

According to the official website, each box comes with:

• A bespoke piece of baking equipment designed by the Bake Off team. The first box includes a Bake Off cake stand.
  • A collectable recipe card, with step by step instructions.
  • All the dry ingredients you need to make the bake.
  • A detailed checklist to make sure you have what you need.
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

GBBO is now offering a subscription box

Cool (and not a bad price IMHO) but just a note for Yankees this is for UK customers only 😞 

Edited by dleighg
  • Sad 1

I wonder if the first box will be a brownie mix!  😁

In all seriousness, this is clever marketing.  I'm really surprised someone didn't come up with this 8 months ago - I think it would have been a great pandemic product. 

• Love 4
On 11/25/2020 at 6:40 PM, dleighg said:

Cool (and not a bad price IMHO) but just a note for Yankees this is for UK customers only 😞 

Shoot, that would have been a great Christmas gift for my bakeaholic sister!  We need to band together to do that here!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chaifan said:

I wonder if the first box will be a brownie mix!  😁

In all seriousness, this is clever marketing.  I'm really surprised someone didn't come up with this 8 months ago - I think it would have been a great pandemic product. 

Who knew 8 months ago we'd need it? 

• Love 1

I doubt they will make it to Netflix, but for everyone in the UK: Channel 4 is airing 2 anniversary episodes - some sort of Best Of. The first one, which had a whole segment about Selassi, was on yesterday and is available on All 4.

Edited by Aulty
11 hours ago, Aulty said:

I doubt they will make it to Netflix,

We can hope.  Netflix can be fairly eclectic; they have the Christmas challenges which I don't think were ever on PBS and they even have the Paul and Mary Masterclass episodes.

• Love 1

Nice little interview with Laura in the Guardian today.  Pretty standard stuff -- she chooses to accentuate the positives and not bother with the social media trolls -- but good to know she's doing well.  And she really likes Matt Lucas.  My personal favorite bit was about Dave wanting all the other bakers to do his wedding cake.  

• Love 8