Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

A non-spoilerly pic from the next episode of Extra slice, courtesy of guest panelist Reverend Richard Coles. Since he signed an NDA, the priest doesn't offer any hints to the cut contestant. He did offer a few behind-the-scenes tidbits, however, including how audience members have to taste any displays they bake for the after-show.

• Love 1

PBS will begin airing old episodes of Bake Off with Downtown Abbey next month, which means it'll also be streaming free online. From the press release it is not clear which season they're showing but HuffPo says it's the latest one.

Edited to fix apostrophes.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 3

All the complete technical challenge recipes and certain contestants' recipes are online at BBC Food sorted by weeks. I am not sure if PBS will show the Masterclasses, but these are the episodes where Mary and Paul demonstrate how to properly do the technical bakes and their take on the challenges.

• Love 1

It's a good article, but the problem is still that even though this show is a huge hit in the UK, when they put out the almost identical (the affair was definitely different) US version, it flopped. People can write all the letters to the FN that they want, but the truth is that people in the US seem to want to watch the crappy fake drama of most "reality" competition shows. Maybe if PBS had done the show instead of CBS it might have made a difference, but who knows.

• Love 2

Chetna and Richard participated in a chat with the Washington Post today. It's archived here.

There isn't quite enough from the two, who kind of get overrun by their enthusiastic moderators and fellow contributors. I did learn that Martha's the only contestant who has a proving drawer at home, though.

• Love 2
People can write all the letters to the FN that they want, but the truth is that people in the US seem to want to watch the crappy fake drama of most "reality" competition shows.
The truth is that clearly that statement does not apply to all people in the U.S, or GBBO wouldn't be drawing large numbers for PBS (by PBS standards) and the article wouldn't have been written in the first place. It certainly didn't help the US version to be aired on a major broadcast network where higher viewer numbers are required than on either cable or PBS, and it certainly didn't help that it was aired in summer.
  • Love 2

The GB version grew its audience over several seasons. Neither the Australian or American shows were given that chance. They bought the format assuming instant success imho and the BBC is a very different animal. That's why I think PBS could do this right. Paula Kroger keeps saying she wants to build  content as one consequence of its resurgence, not just buy it off the rack. I think PBS viewers are hungry for quality just as much, if not more than being anglophiles. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I would love to see some skilled US home bakers. 

• Love 1

The Atlantic  has an article that describes our beloved show as "a teeming hotbed of smut" and "delightful." I learned from it that CBS is to blame for the US not getting any earlier seasons. Proceed with caution, because there may be spoilers ahead (there's at least one photo that might give something away).  

• Love 1

The Atlantic  has an article that describes our beloved show as "a teeming hotbed of smut" and "delightful." I learned from it that CBS is to blame for the US not getting any earlier seasons. Proceed with caution, because there may be spoilers ahead (there's at least one photo that might give something away).  

I can't say they're wrong; we do love our double entendres on this side of the pond. (aka yes we are all 12yr olds). ;)

SPOILER ALERT: yes there is a photo of a showstopper from the S5 finale.

• Love 1

I left my season pass for GBBO on my beloved TiVo just in case.  I'm happy there's going to be another season but truth be told, I'd be equally happy with reruns of older shows.  I lack the gumption to go digging them up on the 'net.

The premiere received 9.3 million viewers. That is up two million from last year. Last year average was about 10 million per episode with the finale at around 12.3 million. To give context, the population of the UK is about 64 million; those are big viewing numbers for a show about baking.  

• Love 1

Sue Perkins reveals that she has been living with a benign brain tumor for eight years - she talks about how the tumor affects her pituitary gland which means she can't have children

Despite the fact that The American Baking Competition (featuring Paul Hollywood) did not fare well in 2013, now that the PBS airings of The Great British Bake Off are doing so well in the United States ABC TV has commissioned a second season of The American Baking Competition but with Mary Berry as the judge instead of Paul Hollywood. Another big change: the American contestants will be filmed in Britain. My concern with that is the inevitable exhaustion that sets in and the bakers not having a week in between episodes to practice their signature bakes and showstoppers.

Post elimination interviews with

Sandy, Ugne, and Alvin.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

First - Yah <fist pump>!  Great news, ElectricBoogaloo.  You've made my day.

I'm ecstatic ABC is willing to try an American version again. But the way I read the article was Mary and Paul would be the judges. I hope so because I think they're magic together.  You can see they really like and respect each other.  I wonder if Mel and Sue will host or will they import Jeff Foxworthy (who did an excellent job on the first season), or bring someone else in?  Personally, I enjoy Mel and Sue and they have a great relationship with Mary and Paul but their humor might not go over as well with the American bakers.  Also, I hope the bakers are less "win at all cost" (looking at you Brian Emmett) and more "let's have some fun together", which I think is what makes the other bake off shows such a success.

In any case, I'm really happy about this development.

• Love 1

I'm pretty excited that they're bringing the American show back too. Despite the fact that it's my least favorite of the Bake Off series, I was disappointed that it wasn't renewed, but I wasn't surprised. Between the low ratings and the scandal over Paul's affair with Marcela, ABC had no motivation to renew it after S1 ended.

I'm ecstatic ABC is willing to try an American version again. But the way I read the article was Mary and Paul would be the judges.

The other articles I found about the new American version (like this one either think that Paul will not be involved or say that it's not yet known who else will be on the show in the host(s) or second judge roles, so I guess there's still a chance that they will bring Paul Hollywood back.

I think the American show would be fine without him. He and his wife have since reconciled since his affair with Marcela but I would be surprised if she is okay with him being involved with the American show again. Even though it will be shot in the UK rather than the United States and Marcela won't be involved, the American show might still be a sore point for her just on principle.

It will be interesting to see if they have Mel and Sue host or if they will keep Jeff Foxworthy.

I wonder if having Mary involved in the American show will affect when the next season of the British show airs. I guess having the American show film in Britain will help though.

• Love 1

Happy dance happy dance happy dance!  Although I'm scared that there will be some scary American-reality-show-spin that the first season didn't have.  "I don't speak British! What is she saying???" drama or ingredients/words that are different "across the pond" just to trip them up.  I am so cynical!     

Based on people's reactions here, I'm not sure a general American audience would enjoy Mel and Sue.  I like them, but I also really liked Jeff Foxworthy and think he might "fit" better.

And why am I now dreaming of an international bake off with winners of all the versions competing?  Now that would be fascinating as different cultural preferences clash!

• Love 1

This is great, I'm so glad the show is coming back, & I'm hoping they bring back Jeff Foxworthy too. It's interesting that they're going to film it in Britain, I wonder if that's a concession to Mary Berry? I can't think of any other reason they would film there instead of here.

If this is true I hope this means ABC won't put the new UK season on lockdown - I'm watching it, but one of the things I enjoy is talking with fam and friends when pbs shows it. I was hoping for a GBBO/Downton combo again in early 2016.

I really wanted pbs to have an attempt, complete with historical pieces, but this would be better than nothing.

I don't see why the second season of the American version on ABC would affect PBS airing the British version. They're still different shows and they are on different networks. My guess is that PBS already obtained the rights to air S6 of GBBO before the decision to reboot the American version was made.

I don't like the idea of taking the American bakers to Britain. One of the aspects of GBBO that makes it work so well is that the bakers go home during the week.

Many of the shows in the "Great British" spinoffs (Sewing Bee, Allotment Challenge, etc) are taped on the weekends because the UK is small enough for the contestants to take the train back and forth so that they can go home during the week (meaning they they don't have to quit their jobs to participate), but most similar American shows are taped over a few weeks without any breaks because it's cheaper for production and it reduces the transportation budget (imagine buying plane tickets for all the contestants every week). I'm pretty sure that the first season of the American version of the show was done that way for the same reason so even if they had decided to film the second season in America, they still wouldn't have had the week off in between each episode. That makes me worry for the bakers because that means they will have to practice all of their showstoppers and signature bakes before they fly to the UK to tape the show. it must be so much easier to only have to concentrate on two of those per week.

During one of the earlier seaons of GBBO, one of the contestants said that they were responsibile for their travel costs to the location each week. Now that the show is more popular, I wonder if the show's sbudget has been increased to at least pay for their train tickets each week.

What I'd like to see is regional competitions in the US so the competitors could go home and practice, and then a national contest of the winners where the competitors have at least a week to get ready. I think the signatures and showstoppers are better with more time to prepare. But I don't know how that would work with US TV. Would we only see our region and then the national? Could/would any network put on the necessary number of regional shows in different TV markets every week? Maybe one longer show each week with bits from each region? But then it would be harder to get a sense of the group together and as individuals.

During one of the earlier seaons of GBBO, one of the contestants said that they were responsibile for their travel costs to the location each week. Now that the show is more popular, I wonder if the show's sbudget has been increased to at least pay for their train tickets each week.

I think the final 12 have their travel expenses paid*, plus the cost of ingredients used on camera (but nothing for the practice bakes they need to do). They pay their own costs at the audition stage though. There might be a nominal contribution for travel - it wasn't entirely clear from the blog I read. If I can find it, I'll post it - interesting reading. The process sounded pretty gruelling.

*pretty sure that's true from series 2 anyway. I have no recollection of series 1. Apparently they filmed in a different location each week!

ETA: Danny's series 2 blog

https://bakingastherapy.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/bake-off-confidential-bittersweet-adventures-in-a-tv-show/

And because Danny's is a bit of a downer, here's Brendan's more upbeat thoughts:

http://brendanbakes.co.uk/2012/10/ten-things-ive-learned-from-the-great-british-bake-off/

Edited by ceebee
  • Love 1

I'm pretty excited that they're bringing the American show back too. Despite the fact that it's my least favorite of the Bake Off series, I was disappointed that it wasn't renewed, but I wasn't surprised. Between the low ratings and the scandal over Paul's affair with Marcela, ABC had no motivation to renew it after S1 ended.

Pretty sure the original US season aired on CBS.

I find it very odd they would do the show in the UK. I could speculate that there are so many unique qualities that make GBBO work, that TPTB thought the only way to make a decent US show is to transplant it.

They would also have to film on a pretty compressed schedule, since you can't keep the contestants there for weeks on end.

I find it very odd they would do the show in the UK. I could speculate that there are so many unique qualities that make GBBO work, that TPTB thought the only way to make a decent US show is to transplant it.

A somewhat similar thought visited my mind: That the GBBO producers are aware of what happens on US cooking competitions, and they figured that taking the whole shebang out of US territory and as far as away from LA as possible was the likeliest way to avoid offscreen hands crafting villains, jerks, bitches, romantic tension, and redemption arcs.

• Love 1

I think the best way to avoid all of that crap is good casting. It's obvious on a lot of American reality shows that they choose the shit stirring "I'm just being honest/I'm not here to make friends" jerks to cause drama. I think they did a pretty good job on the original season of the American Baking Competition not casting anyone that was super villainous.

• Love 2

I would agree.  that has nothing to do with where something is filmed but who is chosen. 

I am so happy this is coming back but I'm a little worried about it being filmed in the UK.  There's a whole thread on the food differences between the UK and the US.  Some of it is related to nomenclaure but some of it is not. 

A few words from Mary on the upcoming final and a couple other things regarding GBBO. It's spoiler free but do not click if you don't want to pick up even the slightest thing.

Link:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/609005/Mary-Berry-Paul-Hollywood-Great-British-Bake-Off-finalSo glad to hear it was 'extremely close' and none of the finalists make any mistakes. I like all three finalists and that's all I hope for from the final!

Edit to add: 'Class of 2014' will be aired today on BBC One.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06h7y66

Edited by sum