Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/12/2017 at 10:16 AM, dubbel zout said:

They have to distinguish this new version from the BBC one, but calling it "modern" seems dumb to me. It's still a baking show, so unless they're suddenly using molecular gastronomy or insisting that the meringue be made with aquafaba, I'm rolling my eyes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it that happens. I won't be tuning in to see it. This show was an oasis in the middle of the storm of life for me. The sweet tone and surprisingly diverse bakers drew me to it, along with the Mary, Sue and Mel. My interest level is zero with only Hollywood and three strangers ( to me anyway, and who seem a bit long in the tooth for the "modern" vibe, speaking as one who's long in the tooth).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

“The thing is about TV programmes, it’s about format, not the talent, it’s always format,” argues Paul.

14 hours ago, GaT said:

asshole

Yep, I wonder how that "not the talent" bit is working out for the Beeb's current version of Top Gear?

• Love 1

Without the "talent" this show is a bunch of strangers walk into a tent and bake stuff. What made this show so infinitely popular was the warmth and the heart and while yes, some of that has to do with the bakers, a lot of it had to do with Mel and Sue's corny brand of humor, Mary's grandmotherly warmth and Paul the stern uncle. The way those four played off each other was magic. If they try to imitate it with the new hosts, it will not be the same. If they try to change it to fit the new hosts, it will not be the same.

To say that the three people he has worked with so closely these past few years don't matter is really, really shitty. The funny thing is, for me at least, the only "talent" I would have considered replicable was Paul Hollywood. He always struck me as your run of the mill judge while Mary is a national treasure, and Mel and Sue are just delightfully corny. That corniness and Mary's warmth are what made this show different from all the others. And that is the talent!

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

To say that the three people he has worked with so closely these past few years don't matter is really, really shitty. The funny thing is, for me at least, the only "talent" I would have considered replicable was Paul Hollywood. He always struck me as your run of the mill judge while Mary is a national treasure, and Mel and Sue are just delightfully corny. That corniness and Mary's warmth are what made this show different from all the others. And that is the talent!

That's exactly it for me. Paul Hollywood was the "talent" I more or less accepted as part of the price of watching the others I loved.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

Well that tells me ...... absolutely nothing about what the show will be like. I was not impressed. I sure hope they don't make it "cute."

To be fair, I think the article I linked to in addition to the trailer said that the trailer doesn't give any hints as to what the new version of the show is actually like.

I watched the trailer twice and I can't understand it.  I think maybe one has to already know the words to whatever the cartoon baked goods are singing in order to make them out.  In any event, it makes the show look it may have become a comedy.  The thing that stood out for me was the representation of Paul from Wales' bread lion at the end.

• Love 1

WTF was that? Is that supposed to make me want to watch this show? because it didn't. Were they trying to reassure viewers that the show hasn't lost it's charm? Because it failed. that wasn't charming as much as it was creepy in a weird retro kids tv program kind of way.

But, yeah, yay to Prison Paul's lion at the end! Still one of the most memorable bakes for me.

• Love 2
On 7/31/2017 at 10:53 AM, Hyacinth B said:

“The thing is about TV programmes, it’s about format, not the talent, it’s always format,” argues Paul.

Nice way to come off as an asshole.

And having Paul diss the talent  as being  expendable is a fantastic marketing strategy to get people to watch the BS that they are going to put on air.

Yeah - I am a hell no.

Edited by Macbeth
Because I was wrong
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Macbeth said:

Really they kept this asshole?  As usual Paul, the man,  was essential, but Mary, Mel and Sue, the women who made the show unique were expendable. 

And having said man diss the talent (the real talent) the women as expendable is a fantastic marketing strategy to get people to watch the BS that they are going to put on air.

Yeah - I am a hell no.

IIRC, they wanted the women too - but Mary refused out of loyalty for BBC (?), and Mel and Sue didn't want to do it without her (or something like that) But yeah, Paul's an asshole. He's right in one way, if it was about talent, he wouldn't be the lead now.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

IIRC, they wanted the women too - but Mary refused out of loyalty for BBC (?), and Mel and Sue didn't want to do it without her (or something like that) But yeah, Paul's an asshole. He's right in one way, if it was about talent, he wouldn't be the lead now.

All of them were invited back. Mel and Sue announced they weren't going to go first because they felt loyal to the BBC and they believed the BBC was the natural home. Both of them have seen how other shows they worked on changed dramatically after moving networks. Mary has been with the BBC since the 1970s, it was always unlikely for her to move.

When negotiations were happening, Paul came out and said none of them wanted the show to move Channel 4. Of course, he isn't much without this show he'd follow it. The other ladies don't need it.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Thank you Clanstarling and Athena for addressing and rightfully correcting my wrong assumption.  I will edit my post accordingly - so that the misinformation is not spread.

I am very glad that all of the women were asked back.

I did see the new jazzy animation preview of thee new show,  I saw one dessert throw up into the face of another dessert.  I don't think further comment is needed. 

• Love 2

I just got around to watching the trailer & you can put me into the "WTF was that?" camp. WTF was that?????? And why did they use Paul's bread lion?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Not to mention having a catchphrase in the first place.

I was also struck by the fact that it was a planned catchphrase.  I thought those were supposed to be developed spontaneously over time.  Mine for the new show is "not gonna watch that."

• Love 7
On 8/11/2017 at 10:10 AM, Clanstarling said:

"It's not worth the calories" as a catchphrase already speaks volumes about the attitude shift. 

I posted it under another thread but I find it beyond rude that whole thing and how she comes off as if she won't be eating things if she doesn't find it worthy to her. This show is sadly done. I know I wouldn't watch if it was to air here with the new hosts/judge. I wouldn't be surprised if they added the "drama" to the show that wasn't there before. I mean really the most dramatic thing seemed to be if whatever they made came out done or didn't fall apart. LOL 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

I posted it under another thread but I find it beyond rude that whole thing and how she comes off as if she won't be eating things if she doesn't find it worthy to her.

How the hell is she meant to judge food if she can't be arsed to actually try it? Yeah, the bright, happy, friendly days are over people. I have a feeling she might be worse than Paul.

• Love 5
On August 16, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Mabinogia said:
On August 15, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Evil Queen said:

I posted it under another thread but I find it beyond rude that whole thing and how she comes off as if she won't be eating things if she doesn't find it worthy to her.

How the hell is she meant to judge food if she can't be arsed to actually try it?

She will try it. Her comment means it's not good enough to have more than a taste. 

This phrase isn't original to her, not that I think a catchphrase is appropriate for GBBO. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:35 AM, dubbel zout said:

She will try it. Her comment means it's not good enough to have more than a taste. 

This phrase isn't original to her, not that I think a catchphrase is appropriate for GBBO. 

Well of course she will have to but it just comes off as she won't. And no it isn't original to her at all and beyond inappropriate for this kind of show....or I guess I should say the kind of show it once was. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:25 AM, halopub said:

According to The Guardian, the first episode of the new season is Tuesday, August 29th at 8 PM local time.

I hope PBS will pick up Mary Berry's new show. I'd like to see Nadiya's as well. Glad to see she is doing well for herself after her win. 

• Love 2
On 8/18/2017 at 9:35 AM, dubbel zout said:

I think that part of the problem besides the silliness of announcing your catchphrase before you have done the show is the tone.  Even Paul at his worst never sought to be contemptuous of the baker's.  But she has chosen a catchphrase to indicate contempt.  Maybe they should change the name of the show to "Hell's Bakery." Then they could just have Gordon Ramsay do it.

• Love 7

It makes it seem as though she expects there to be some terrible food. On a show like Worst Cooks or Hells Kitchen that's fine. But what was so wonderful about GBBO is how supportive the judges and hosts were. I just can't imagine Mary Berry saying she expects the food to be inedible and having a phrase already in place. I think she expects everything to be wonderful and when it is not, she finds something nice to say or something constructive to say. It is just setting a more negative tone than the show has ever had. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It is just setting a more negative tone than the show has ever had. 

Which IMO comes off saying there is a change to the show....and not a good one. I do hope I am wrong but as you said it is setting a negative tone sadly. SMH

• Love 3

I don't understand why Noel Fielding, the androgynous whatever.  He's blasted this show by saying he doesn't eat cake and avoids sugar (comments he quickly disavowed, probably because 4 kicked his skinny ass) because he said he can't gain weight because he's a presenter.  I just don't get why they need a Goth, unless it's just to try and get the younger demographic.  

• Love 1

I saw Toksvig there, too. I think you can be charming on a chat show and still all wrong for a baking competition, but she did seem aware of what was at stake. Of the three newbies, I have the most hope that she'll do a decent job.

• Love 2

That promo did nothing to give me hope this show is not in the death rattle stage.  

It's the baking equivalent of animals dressed a humans....  

RIP Bake Off.  

Hanging all their dreams on the Paul Hollywood star....don't make me laugh....I'm too busy crying.

Mark Lawson was surprisingly positive in his review of next week's first episode. There are no major spoilers and he does address Fielding's fit as a host.

There is a photo of the upcoming contestants.

18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don't understand why Noel Fielding, the androgynous whatever.  He's blasted this show by saying he doesn't eat cake and avoids sugar (comments he quickly disavowed, probably because 4 kicked his skinny ass) because he said he can't gain weight because he's a presenter.  I just don't get why they need a Goth, unless it's just to try and get the younger demographic.  

Does Fielding really have younger fans, though? He's been around a long time on both Channel 4 and the BBC - long enough for Brit audiences to get used to his particular perspective. Fielding's surrealist humor definitely isn't for everyone but with him it's too hard to gauge in print whether he's kidding or not. I imagine writers have a difficult time deciphering his words, let alone framing his comments in their proper context.

From his years on the panel show Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I will say Fielding was certainly friendlier and warmer than Simon Amstell, whose biting meanness he blamed for scaring off musicians.

47 minutes ago, halopub said:

Fielding's surrealist humor definitely isn't for everyone but with him it's too hard to gauge in print whether he's kidding or not. I imagine writers have a difficult time deciphering his words, let alone framing his comments in their proper context.

I actually love Noel Fielding. I just don't think he's right for this show. This show isn't edgy. It's warm and fuzzy. What I like most about it is that it is warm and fuzzy. It's like slipping on your favorite sweater after a hard day. It makes you feel like the world is a good place and not all people are cold and cynical. It's like a visit to another time and place. Noel Fielding does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling. I saw Mel and Sue as protective Aunts to the contestants. Paul was the stern but loving Dad and Mary was everyone's sweet grandma. Noel is a bit more Addams Family than the Waltons. I don't know the rest of the newbies enough to know how they will fit into the once familial show.

God, I feel like mommy and daddy got divorced and now I have to deal with daddy's new family when all I want is things to be the way they were.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 6

I don't even know if the new version will make its way to the U.S. so I can afford to be optimistic and remember how many people here despised Mel and Sue in the early episodes. Now they're beloved so maybe we'll come to love the new stuff too.

• Love 1

BBC has an article about the premiere and has a couple of spoilers. There are a few of inane quotes from the new presenters and Prue which makes me wonder if BBC is subtly trying to make us hate this. Ha.

I am really familiar with Prue, Noel, and Sandi from other UK shows. I think Noel may work on this because even though he is weird and surreal, he does seem quite friendly. Sandi is clever, but she bores me as a presenter. I can't watch QI anymore. As for Prue, I've watched her for years on Great British Menu; she's a fair judge. She doesn't come off well in these PR rounds. She's filling big shoes and her comments are a bit flat.

The following got me to raise an eyebrow:

A woman being gay is obviously not a thing in 2017, and we've had LGBT contestants before, but it's telling that Channel 4 gave this line such a prominent placing at the beginning of the episode.

How is it telling? I thought the show did a good job of being LGBT friendly. Kinda seems like BBC tried to either downplay their own LGBT friendliness or elevated C4's. 

Other than that, the new reviews have left me feeling cautiously optimistic that it won't be a train wreck. It may be boring though.

On 7/18/2017 at 11:05 PM, Frost said:

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/bake-off-paul-hollywood-chester-13346333

Here's a link talking about the new episodes on Channel 4.  Somehow they managed to get Severus Snape to be part of the show!

Severus Snape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hilarious! Though I tip my hat to the original, former Severus Snape.

@Athena - thanks for the link.  My favorite line from the article is:

16. Paul "won't be looking at Twitter" when the show goes out.

So don't @ him.

11 hours ago, jumper sage said:

@Athena - thanks for the link.  My favorite line from the article is:

16. Paul "won't be looking at Twitter" when the show goes out.

So don't @ him.

I loved this, too. I wonder how many people will @ him simply because of that. Hee.

• Love 1

Several Positive reviews on the first episode  of Great British Bake Off in Telegraph and the Guardian, so maybe the actual genius of the show is the format and maybe the Production team actually have a lot to do with it's success. I always loved Mel and Sue and their creaky end of the Pier Schtick, but there are plenty of people  who don't.  Also to paint the people who felt loyal to the BBC as some sort of saints rather people making shrewd long term career choices is laughable.  Channel 4 is tiny in comparison to the BBC it does not have it's multiple media platforms and the 360 deals it can offer talent is massivr compared the commercial channels. 

Mel and Sue will be long rewarded for the public display fealty to the Beeb and already mulitple presenting gigs have fallen their way. Besides the BBC has Radio 2 and 4 to offer lucrative shows to and particular the panel and comedys on radio 4 act as steady flow of appearance fees for 'resting' comedians and actors.   

The reviews for the https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/aug/16/the-big-family-cooking-showdown-the-bbc-disastrous-attempt-to-recreate-great-british-bake-off on the BBC are not good, in fact awful.   Anyway I look forward to GBBO on Ch 4 I love Sandi and like Fielding so have no qualms about the show.   

• Love 2