Type keyword(s) to search

GBBO In The Media

• Start Topic

I want Netflix to run the celebrity version so badly even though I only recognize one or two of them. I just want the show in my life again. (I'm kind of assuming it won't run in the US because the other special editions haven't, but I would be so thrilled to be wrong.)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

(I'm kind of assuming it won't run in the US because the other special editions haven't, but I would be so thrilled to be wrong.)

They do have several of the special editions, several of the Christmas ones and the Derry Girls one.  However, they run them a year after they first appear in the UK.  I have no idea why that is, when they air the regular series a few days after the UK airing, but it is what it is. What they haven't run are any of the ones in support of a charity.  While I would like to see them, too, that kind of makes sense, since those are more specific to the UK. 

13 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

They do have several of the special editions, several of the Christmas ones and the Derry Girls one.  However, they run them a year after they first appear in the UK.  I have no idea why that is, when they air the regular series a few days after the UK airing, but it is what it is. What they haven't run are any of the ones in support of a charity.  While I would like to see them, too, that kind of makes sense, since those are more specific to the UK. 

True, but the entire show and most of the bakes are fairly specific to the UK also, so I hope they don't think those of us outside of UK aren't interested.  Clearly, that isn't the case.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

They do have several of the special editions, several of the Christmas ones and the Derry Girls one.  However, they run them a year after they first appear in the UK.

Does Netflix have any of the charity Bake Offs or just the festive/Christmas ones?  I wouldn't be surprised if there are legal limitations with either the charity itself or broadcasting charity appeals in countries where that charity isn't registered.

• Useful 1

Does Netflix have any of the charity Bake Offs or just the festive/Christmas ones?  I wouldn't be surprised if there are legal limitations with either the charity itself or broadcasting charity appeals in countries where that charity isn't registered.

Just the holiday ones, to date. It's an interesting question whether that's for legal reasons or because they think the much more UK-centered nature of the charity ones won't appeal as much. It probably makes more sense that it's the former over the latter.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

True, but the entire show and most of the bakes are fairly specific to the UK also, so I hope they don't think those of us outside of UK aren't interested.  Clearly, that isn't the case.

Yeah, but cake is cake. And cookies are cookies.  (Except when they're biscuits.)  I guess we'll have to have a UK viewer mediate.

grrrr.  I wish they would make the celebrity bake offs available in the US.  We got the one with the Derry Girls, but I think that's it.  Would love to see this one.  Would love to see the one with Jameela Jamil.   If anyone knows otherwise, please post here! 

^nice. Most of the stuff I figured like that they gave the left overs to the cast & crew. I feel like this has been on camera, or another contestant is seeing eating part of if later (usually the signature). 

Of course I read the one about needing a "UK address" and thought of a sort of loophole for the fun of it. If an american (or other country really) say went to college in the UK and could bake (obviously) then are they eligible? They would be living in the UK and not a professional. I feel if something like that did happen and they made it on. The show would have fun with it. I can picture them trying to do a very British technical and Noel making a comment on it as they have no idea what that is lol. 

1 hour ago, blueray said:

Of course I read the one about needing a "UK address" and thought of a sort of loophole for the fun of it. If an american (or other country really) say went to college in the UK and could bake (obviously) then are they eligible? They would be living in the UK and not a professional. I feel if something like that did happen and they made it on. The show would have fun with it. I can picture them trying to do a very British technical and Noel making a comment on it as they have no idea what that is lol. 

For shows like this, they usually have a very specific rule about being a UK resident. For example, the rules to apply for Landscape Artist of the Year say that you must be a UK resident for a minimum of one year.

Here in the United States, public colleges have lower tuition rates for residents of that state. In order to qualify in California, you must be continuously physically present in California for more than 366 days immediately prior to the residence determination date of the term for which you request resident status and absences of six weeks or more in a one-year period disqualify a student from receiving in-state status. I don't know how strict the UK would be about counting the exact number of days and how often you left to go home for winter break or summer vacation.

But realistically, I don't know if coming over on a student visa legally qualifies you as a UK resident. I know that for reality shows here in the U.S., the requirement is usually that you must be eligible to work (meaning you can't be here on a student visa because that doesn't allow you to be employed here). On some of the earlier seasons of So You Think You Can Dance, there were contestants who made it past the qualifying rounds but had to be cut due to their visa status. One of them was definitely here on a student visa and therefore was unable to be legally employed. He had to go back to the UK and apply to re-enter the United States on a work visa so that he could audition the following season.

• Useful 2

I don't know if this should be in the "Media" thread but I'm just curious if anyone has tried the recipes or bought the cookbooks from contestants on the show and how it worked out for you. I read Ruby Tandoh's Crumb. I only tried one or two of the bakes but I wasn't that impressed by the flavor. I might go back to that cookbook if I ever want to make bread or more complicated yeasted doughs.

I have an Edd Kimber (original series 1 winner) book about traybakes and one of Chetna's about Indian streetfood. Both I bought without realising they were by past GBBO contestants - I just liked the pictures and description of the recipies. After trying a few recipes I am rather disappointed with Edd's, somehow the bakes never turn out how they should. Chetna's I like.
I have also tried a few recipe's from Nadyia's various TV shows, which are usually quite good - her mocha swirls have become a firm favourite in our house.

7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I read Ruby Tandoh's Crumb. I only tried one or two of the bakes but I wasn't that impressed by the flavor.

Ruby also released an audio cookbook last year where you can bake along in real time. It got some press for the novelty factor, but the recipes apparently are very basic.

• Useful 2

I've done a couple of Chetna's recipes mostly from her Youtube channel and I liked them. I've done a couple of Nadiya's and they were fine. There are a lot of Nadiya recipes so you can probably find something that's ok. I'm still going through some from her shows.

13 hours ago, Aulty said:

I have an Edd Kimber (original series 1 winner) book about traybakes and one of Chetna's about Indian streetfood. Both I bought without realising they were by past GBBO contestants - I just liked the pictures and description of the recipies. After trying a few recipes I am rather disappointed with Edd's, somehow the bakes never turn out how they should. Chetna's I like.

I have an ebook of the Kimber book but I haven't made anything from it yet. Disappointing to hear his stuff does not turn out like it could.

Surprisingly, I have a few favourites from Paul Hollywood's books. For awhile there, I really liked how his publisher and stylist was making the books too. I love the British Baking one in particular.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2021 at 6:56 PM, Cetacean said:

Glad it will be back, sad that the two buffoons will be hosting again.  

Agree. I've been watching old episodes in Boston with the two women and love it. Ready to try the soda bread challenge and I'm no baker!

Looks like a good range of ages and backgrounds. I like this fellow's motivation:

"Born in Trinidad, Jairzeno started his baking journey after losing faith with delicious-looking products that didn’t taste as good as they looked."

Similarly, "[Jürgen] started baking after being unable to find traditional German bread in the UK, and is now well-known for his Jewish challah bread, and for celebration cakes that he bakes for friends and family."

(Plenty of others who have really interesting sounding bios, too, and several who enjoy the decorating aspect of things for people who enjoy that. Perhaps we will get some discussion of style vs substance . . . .)

Edited by akr
deleted repetitive phrasing
  • Love 6
On 9/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, Cetacean said:

Glad it will be back, sad that the two buffoons will be hosting again.  

I really dislike Matt Lucas and I'm indifferent to Noel Fielding (my sister loathes him), but at least he's good with the contestants when they're nervous or upset. I still miss Sue and Mel.

• Love 6
On 9/29/2021 at 9:56 PM, MSterling said:

I really dislike Matt Lucas and I'm indifferent to Noel Fielding (my sister loathes him), but at least he's good with the contestants when they're nervous or upset. I still miss Sue and Mel.

Their Peacock show just released its second season. I haven’t watched it yet, but I they’re still together in a different universe!

5 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Their Peacock show just released its second season. I haven’t watched it yet, but I they’re still together in a different universe!

Is that the show where they are assassins?  What is it called again?  I was only able to watch a few episodes free before Peacock wanted me to subscribe.

I generally put up with them but I have to admit in the final of this season, I fast forward them a few times as they were annoying. I still like Noel, and would be happy if Matt left. I feel like he brings on the worst in Noel and doesn't really add anything. Noel, when he isn't being annoying has had good interactions with the contestants. 

• Love 4

The gist of the article is sound, imo, but the spelling/grammatical errors undercut its effectiveness.

There was a moment in the final when the difference between Noel & Matt and Mel & Sue was blatantly obvious--when Giuseppe was upset about the oven not being on, Mel & Sue would've been there for him.

• Love 2