Type keyword(s) to search

"It's teeny!": the World of Healthcare

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, smittykins said:

I find it odd that the Linzess ad keeps referring to “belly pain” rather than “abdominal pain,” as if they were addressing a child.

At least they're not saying "tummy" which I've heard in some ads. That one really makes me stabby.

• Love 4

Okay, this has finally driven me crazy enough to ask.

Of late, I've noticed the litanies of drug side effects have started including phrases like 'changes in lab results' or 'abnormal liver tests'.

My knee-jerk reaction is that it's a coy way to say the drug will in fact screw up your liver or whatever else, but if not, is there a reason false positives without actual repercussions have started to be included in these commercials?

Edited by Emma9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Emma9 said:

My knee-jerk reaction is that it's a coy way to say the drug will in fact screw up your liver or whatever else, but if not, is there a reason false positives without actual repercussions have started to be included in these commercials?

Lawyers.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, cynicat said:

Lawyers.

Oh, no doubt, it just perplexes me that this has started to become a thing across various types of drugs right around the same time. (It's mildly depressing that I'm such a connoisseur of mind-numbing recitations of medication side-effects.)

• LOL 4

I'm probably not the first person to complain about this, but the pharmaceutical ads really bug me.  I remember growing up back in the stone age and there would be commercials for Bayer aspirin, Tylenol, Contac, etc., etc.  Drugs you could buy over the counter at the drugstore.  NOW they are advertising drugs for Stage 4 cancer. Drugs that we cannot/should not buy on our own. "Ask your doctor about ____________." Really?  While I am in favor of being informed about my healthcare, I sure don't want to have to ask my doctor to prescribe a drug I saw in a TV commercial.  I would sure hope that my doctor(s) would know what to prescribe for me without me telling them.  I am not a doctor!!  I wonder how often it happens.  "Doctor, I was watching TV last night and I saw a commercial for _________.  Could you please prescribe it for me?  It sounds awfully good."  I wonder how often that happens?  I wonder how doctors feel about it?  Of course I completely blame the pharmaceutical companies, trying to make every last dime they can from people who are sick or just plain elderly.

• Applause 1
  • Love 19

Does the Kisqali ad even mention what it is it's used for?  I like how it tells you "Take this and you won't die" (Well, it says that there was an overall survival rate in two tests, but they don't say how many tests people didn't survive in.)

And why does it end with a whole bunch of women clapping their hands?

My kitty had her teeth cleaned on Monday. She had 2 teeth extracted. The vet sent her home with pain medication. When I looked it up on the web, it had all the same warnings drug commercials have. Don't give this to your cat if they're allergic to it, and so on. Cracked me up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My kitty had her teeth cleaned on Monday. She had 2 teeth extracted. The vet sent her home with pain medication. When I looked it up on the web, it had all the same warnings drug commercials have. Don't give this to your cat if they're allergic to it, and so on. Cracked me up.

I used to work in pharmacy and worked with a lot of pharmacists over the years who had decades of experience.  They would share stories as to why warnings like "do not take if you are allergic" are necessary.  There is a reason why a pharmacist changes a doctor's instructions to be "unwrap and insert" for a suppository instead of just insert.  Or people who insist they are allergic to Motrin but can take Advil.  Suffice to say, when it comes to taking medications people are stupid.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I used to work in pharmacy and worked with a lot of pharmacists over the years who had decades of experience.  They would share stories as to why warnings like "do not take if you are allergic" are necessary.  There is a reason why a pharmacist changes a doctor's instructions to be "unwrap and insert" for a suppository instead of just insert.  Or people who insist they are allergic to Motrin but can take Advil.  Suffice to say, when it comes to taking medications people are stupid.  

That is a frightening lack of common sense.

giphy.gif

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 7:54 PM, debbie311 said:

I'm probably not the first person to complain about this, but the pharmaceutical ads really bug me.  I remember growing up back in the stone age and there would be commercials for Bayer aspirin, Tylenol, Contac, etc., etc.  Drugs you could buy over the counter at the drugstore.  NOW they are advertising drugs for Stage 4 cancer. Drugs that we cannot/should not buy on our own. "Ask your doctor about ____________." Really?  While I am in favor of being informed about my healthcare, I sure don't want to have to ask my doctor to prescribe a drug I saw in a TV commercial.  I would sure hope that my doctor(s) would know what to prescribe for me without me telling them.  I am not a doctor!!  I wonder how often it happens.  "Doctor, I was watching TV last night and I saw a commercial for _________.  Could you please prescribe it for me?  It sounds awfully good."  I wonder how often that happens?  I wonder how doctors feel about it?  Of course I completely blame the pharmaceutical companies, trying to make every last dime they can from people who are sick or just plain elderly.

As a doctor I can tell you it doesn't happen where they come in asking for a med they saw on TV. 

But they do come in sometimes, you will mention a newer treatment and they will say, "Yes I've heard of that", it may be from TV, friends, internet, somewhere, just getting the name out there in the public and making people familiar with it and aware of it might help, may feel more at ease with something they have heard of at least before.  For example in neurology, there have actually been great strides the last few years in migraine medications, especially once a month injectable preventive meds.  And they are great options, work well, very few side effects.  Patients are hearing about them somewhere before they see me, either bringing it up or familiar with them when I mention it.  Now I don't know if that is TV ads, but the idea of them is out there in the general public. 

However I have never understood the specific cancer treatment ads on TV.  I guess its the same concept, they have at least heard of the meds if the oncologist brings it up and that way are more comfortable with the idea of using it, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.  The idea a TV ad is validating what the oncologist is telling you?  The oncologist must be correct, I saw it on TV!!  Not sure about that concept.  And its not like someone with breast cancer or lung cancer is going to think, "Hey maybe I SHOULD see a doctor, they have this treatment!".  I would think they would be asking their oncologist about all these things anyway. 

But then also in my field, I never see say an ad on TV for Multiple sclerosis medications, which are comparable in many ways to cancer medications, and there are about 20 of them available now.  I see them in trade journals and in some print ads in general magazines maybe, but not on TV.  I don't know how they determine why one med needs a TV ad and another does not or why an ad goes on TV vs. magazines or online. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

I just saw an ad for some med, don't remember what it was, and this father and mother and their teenaged kids are setting up a picnic in the park to listen to a string quartet.  And it just hit me that I bet those kids are overjoyed to be listening to a string quarter in the park with their parents.

• LOL 7

Can u please either cut back on the amount of times this commercial is shown or show it after a certain time. I do not have a problem with this medication or it’s advertising but I’m the commercial the word Dovato is said 14 times in a 30 second time period. My 3 year old walks around the house all day long saying “dovato, dovato, dovato, dovato. And then she keeps asking what’s dovato?  Like come on. My 3 year doesn’t need to know about or constantly say dovato. So please do something about this commercial before I go insane. Thank you

• LOL 5

My SIL has Crohn's and has finally moved on to Stelara for treatment. It's a good thing my brother has great med insurance, because she gets the shots every 6 months, at $80K per shot.  Yup. $160,000 annually.  There's NO need for that.

As to the “dovato, dovato, dovato, dovato" thing - I'm working from home, auditing invoices from the vet's office. Everytime I see an invoice where someone's purchased a Seresto collar, I start saying it in that goofy big-dog voice, "Seresto, Seresto, Seresto..."  Annoys the cats to no end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My SIL has Crohn's and has finally moved on to Stelara for treatment. It's a good thing my brother has great med insurance, because she gets the shots every 6 months, at $80K per shot.  Yup. $160,000 annually.  There's NO need for that.

That's beyond obscene!  😳

• Love 2
On 7/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, Silver Raven said:

I guess Stelara treats Crohn's disease, but when I heard the woman say, "Enough, Crohn's!", my first thought was, "Don't talk to old ladies like that."

When the guy raises his hand and says “Back off, UC!” I’m reminded of a sleazy televangelist yelling “Back off, Satan!”

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I used to work in pharmacy and worked with a lot of pharmacists over the years who had decades of experience.  They would share stories as to why warnings like "do not take if you are allergic" are necessary. 

I can well imagine...

My personal favorite is the one for the medication to help women with menopause, and it states "do not use if you are pregnant". Uh...

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I can well imagine...

My personal favorite is the one for the medication to help women with menopause, and it states "do not use if you are pregnant". Uh...

Oh it happens, they used to be known as "Surprise!" babies.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Oh sure, but if you know you're pregnant, you're obviously not in menopause and wouldn't be seeking products for it...

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SnarkySheep said:

Oh sure, but if you know you're pregnant, you're obviously not in menopause and wouldn't be seeking products for it...

Oh, that’s the “surprise” part. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

It's the other way around, you're in peri-menopause or almost to menopause and don't know you're pregnant (especially if mistaking pregnancy symptoms with menopause symptoms).

According to the United States Office on Women’s Health, most women start perimenopause in their mid- to late-40s and may experience perimenopause for between 2 to 8 years.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320137#how-are-both-conditions-diagnosed

Obviously the ad could be more accurately worded. 

• Useful 1

Most, if not all, of the prescription drug commercials say something like “Don’t take (name of drug) if you’re allergic to it, or any ingredients in it.” Wouldn’t you have to take it at least once (most times, unless you already know you’re allergic to a component in it) to know if you’re allergic to it or not?

• Love 5

I love the Shingrix ads where the people are talking about all the things they do to keep themselves healthy, and the narrator says. "Good for you.  Shingles doesn't care."  The snark is everything.

I wonder if that's supposed to be a subtle nod to Honey badger Don't Care!

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 3
On 7/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, Ashforth said:

You're correct.  Or Late-In-Life babies.  Since menopause is a long drawn-out process and you can either not officially know you're in menopause or think you are when you aren't, depending on age, symptoms and doctor information, it's just another CYA legal disclosure.

• Love 2
On 4/30/2020 at 10:54 AM, Dawn Penrose said:

Can u please either cut back on the amount of times this commercial is shown or show it after a certain time. I do not have a problem with this medication or it’s advertising but I’m the commercial the word Dovato is said 14 times in a 30 second time period. My 3 year old walks around the house all day long saying “dovato, dovato, dovato, dovato. And then she keeps asking what’s dovato?  Like come on. My 3 year doesn’t need to know about or constantly say dovato. So please do something about this commercial before I go insane. Thank you

That's the reason I call the singer Demi Lovato, "Lemi Dovato."

• LOL 4

There’s so many pharmaceutical ads that they all blur together for me. I can’t remember which one does what nor do I care. I have mentally divided them in to two groups, those which form bonus Scrabble words and those worth fewer points.  I decided to make a list this week.  From just one week of TV totaling maybe 20 hours these were the ads I saw

bonus group: (contains a z, x, q, or j)

RexultI - Skyrizzi - Xeljanz -Jardiance -Myrbetruq - Ozempic - Dupixent - Farxiga - Kisqali - Rinvoq - Xiidra - Trintellix - Eliquis - Xofluza

non- bonus group

Enbrel - Trellegy - Aimovig- Stellara - Prolia - Nucala - Humira - Fasenra - Trulicity - Rybelsus - Ocrevus - Emgality - Entivio

i do remember the commercials for two of them due to the use of songs I never need to hear again. Oh oh Ozempic and easy as 1-2-3 Trellegy.

Now I need to ask about one of the commercials, for Crohn’s I think.  It talks about improving the APPEARANCE of the intestinal lining.  Who cares what it looks like? Shouldn’t you care that it improves the QUALITY of the intestinal lining? Only the guy doing my colonoscopy cares about the appearance of my colon, and then only about it’s health.  If appearance relates to health that’s great.  But a “pretty” colon in and of itself seems kinda useless.

edited to add:

recently mentioned in this forum but not seen this week

Otezla - Emgality - Latuda - Xarelto - Linzess - Vraylar - Neulasta

and what happened to Chantix?

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
Spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 1/18/2021 at 7:41 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

There’s so many pharmaceutical ads that they all blur together for me. I can’t remember which one does what nor do I care. I have mentally divided them in to two groups, those which form bonus Scrabble words and those worth fewer points.  I decided to make a list this week.  From just one week of TV totaling maybe 20 hours these were the ads I saw

bonus group: (contains a z, x, q, or j)

RexultI - Skyrizzi - Xeljanz -Jardiance -Myrbetruq - Ozempic - Dupixent - Farxiga - Kisqali - Rinvoq - Xiidra - Trintellix - Eliquis - Xofluza

non- bonus group

Enbrel - Trellegy - Aimovig- Stellara - Prolia - Nucala - Humira - Fasenra - Trulicity - Rybelsus - Ocrevus - Emgality - Entivio

i do remember the commercials for two of them due to the use of songs I never need to hear again. Oh oh Ozempic and easy as 1-2-3 Trellegy.

Now I need to ask about one of the commercials, for Crohn’s I think.  It talks about improving the APPEARANCE of the intestinal lining.  Who cares what it looks like? Shouldn’t you care that it improves the QUALITY of the intestinal lining? Only the guy doing my colonoscopy cares about the appearance of my colon, and then only about it’s health.  If appearance relates to health that’s great.  But a “pretty” colon in and of itself seems kinda useless.

edited to add:

recently mentioned in this forum but not seen this week

Otezla - Emgality - Latuda - Xarelto - Linzess - Vraylar - Neulasta

and what happened to Chantix?

Eliquis is good.  Bristol Myers Squibb supplied me with my prescribed medication free of charge when my insurance would not cover it and demanded that I "try and fail" Coumadin first, which was not only not what my cardiologist prescribed but would have required weekly trips for blood tests.  You know those notices in print or spoken on some of the ads that say if you can't afford your medication, they may help?  BMS has a Patient Assistance Program for those who qualify.

Prolia turned into a nightmare of autoimmune disorder dermatology-related side effects for me.  Going on one year since my last dose I am still suffering and don't know if there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's been a runaway train of problems.  I learned that Prolia may be a problem from reading the fine print on a TV ad and investigated further, only to find out that my symptoms have been reported to and by the FDA as of March of 2020.  Patient beware!

Fortunately I take Prozac to prevent me from becoming another statistic.

• Useful 2

The Emgality commercial where the child asks the mother if she will be able to play today.  The mother says of course and they show them doing some kind of fairy-tale playacting, complete with a costume for the dog.  They march around inside and out with crowns on, laughing the whole time.

I grew up in a time, and raised my child in a time, where mothers didn't do that. Kids played and mother did what she did.  OK, I'm old, I admit it.

• Love 6

(I tried the Emgality. The shots were the most painful thing I have ever experienced, but I have never had major surgery or given birth. Like liquid napalm under your skin. It also didn’t reduce the number of migraines I had.)

Does "Curves" still advertise? I know they still exist; there's one near me.  When they first came out, every commercial break had an ad for their alleged exercise program. Have they decided they have all the customers they need? Are they teetering on the financial edge, unable to afford TV ads?  What happened?

Does "Curves" still advertise? I know they still exist; there's one near me.  When they first came out, every commercial break had an ad for their alleged exercise program. Have they decided they have all the customers they need? Are they teetering on the financial edge, unable to afford TV ads?  What happened?

I went to Curves a long, long time ago. I quit because it was always the same group of women bitching about their lives.

The ad for Kisqali really bugs me. I have known a number of wonderful women who have had breast cancer and I feel that the commercial severely misrepresents how women taking Kisuali are able to go about their lives as though nothing is wrong, especially when you listen carefully to all the possible side effects.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Does "Curves" still advertise?

I don't think so; a metric shit ton of locations had already closed in the years before the pandemic hit.  (Mine did, but I had already stopped going - I loved the set-up and environment, but they weren't open late enough and I don't do mornings, so I could only go during an afternoon break.)  It still exists, but came and went as A Big Thing a while ago, so they're probably not spending the money on national ads; I just did a quick search, and the last I found were from 2017.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 7/6/2021 at 9:26 PM, janie jones said:

There's a Trulicity commercial featuring a gymnast and her father who has diabetes. The fine print at the bottom of the screen says the dad doesn't use Trulicity for his diabetes.

Truth in advertising.  It's a rare commodity these days!

• Love 3
On 1/28/2023 at 12:13 PM, janie jones said:

I just overheard an ad for constipation medication. One of the side effects given was "increased bowel movements."

To which I  say, "Thank you, Captain Obvious." (That's right up there with the warning on my peanut butter jar: Warning! Contains peanuts. )

• LOL 4