Type keyword(s) to search

"It's teeny!": the World of Healthcare

• Start Topic

Did I really hear on one of the commercials that persons taking the drug had reported driving while under the influence of the drug with no memory of doing so?

Yes, you did. That would be Ambien.

I can't sleep, I do take Ambien, I will be going to my doctor soon and I will be asking to be taken off of it, not because I drive without memory, but because of the horrible metallic taste I have all the time. But I have done some things with Ambien that I have little memory, I have bought things on EBay, it wasn't too bad, it was usually things I had been looking at and thinking about, but I just hadn't made a decision to buy that particular thing. But a couple of weeks ago, I let my teenage nephew talk me into going to the grocery store when I should have gone to bed. He drove, he's still laughing because I don't remember why I bought certain things. I had to take the receipt out of my purse and study it to figure out everything I bought. I've told him, in the future, we will wait until I wake up thoroughly before going to the store.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I understand what hemorrhoids are, too, without someone turning around and showing me those in a commercial.

Please, don't give them any ideas!

• Love 7

"Have you or a loved one died from . . . " There has to be a better way to say that.

The "free" Mesothelioma book bugs me too.  Or any of the "free" information ads.  "We'll send it to you, free of charge."  Is "free" such a come-on that people will jump on it, because it's free?  "Mom, what's this crap filling up the mailbox?"  "But dear, it's free!"

• Love 2
11 hours ago, revbfc said:

I feel bad for all those other kids at the party who got meningitis from "typical sharing behavior."

I wonder who patient zero was?

Probably the creeper high school teacher that hits on the girls and tries to stay cool by letting kids party at his house.

I'm guessing he wasn't just at my HS,

17 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

"Have you or a loved one died from . . . " There has to be a better way to say that.

The "free" Mesothelioma book bugs me too.  Or any of the "free" information ads.  "We'll send it to you, free of charge."  Is "free" such a come-on that people will jump on it, because it's free?  "Mom, what's this crap filling up the mailbox?"  "But dear, it's free!"

The one that gets me is, "If you've been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you probably have many questions. 'How did I get this disease?  What are my treatment options?'"  The obvious implication, since it's a stealth lawyer ad, is "Who can I sue?"

(Of course, I realize that some people may have a legitimate case).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Guiness puts the oldest confirmed natural conception at 66. Apparently 50's isn't that unusual anymore with medical assistance (over 100/year just in the U.S.).

That's shocking!

11 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Guiness puts the oldest confirmed natural conception at 66. Apparently 50's isn't that unusual anymore with medical assistance (over 100/year just in the U.S.).

I have a friend who had twins in April at the age of 46. Conceived naturally.  And completely unexpected.  

• Love 1

1 in 3 people will get shingles, says the ad. But they also say you get it if you had chicken pox. So is that 1/3 of the ones who had chicken pox, or did 1/3 of people get chicken pox and all of them will get shingles? The ad is so confusing!

11 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

1 in 3 people will get shingles, says the ad. But they also say you get it if you had chicken pox. So is that 1/3 of the ones who had chicken pox, or did 1/3 of people get chicken pox and all of them will get shingles? The ad is so confusing!

I thought the ad says, if you had chicken pox, the virus is still in you. Thus you can get shingles.

• Love 1

Yeah, my interpretation of the math is: if you had chicken pox, you can develop shingles, and overall among humans, 1 in 3 do develop shingles. I don't know if those who had the chicken pox vaccine count as "could get shingles" or not since presumably the virus is in them too. But I thought something like 90% of people do get chicken pox or have been vaccinated for it, so really the number of people who make it to adulthood without having the chicken pox virus in them is really small. Hence it makes sense that their point is "your chance of getting shingles is wicked high".

Edited by theatremouse
4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah, my interpretation of the math is: if you had chicken pox, you can develop shingles, and overall among humans, 1 in 3 do develop shingles. I don't know if those who had the chicken pox vaccine count as "could get shingles" or not since presumably the virus is in them too. But I thought something like 90% of people do get chicken pox or have been vaccinated for it, so really the number of people who make it to adulthood without having the chicken pox virus in them is really small. Hence it makes sense that their point is "your chance of getting shingles is wicked high".

OK, if it's "had it or had the vaccine", they really need to clarify, because I interpreted it as only a risk if you'd actually had it. Which I haven't, but I've been vaccinated.

4 hours ago, random chance said:

I used to think these ads were just a scare tactic and then three people I knew got shingles in the same month.

I know a lot of people that scoff at them, saying that only old people get shingles (thus the "get this if you are over 50!" thing is a scare tactic). I counter with the fact that I had my first shingles outbreak when I was 32, within months of my aunt (late 50s at the time) getting it, as well as my Nanna. So, not just for old people. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Jamoche said:

OK, if it's "had it or had the vaccine", they really need to clarify, because I interpreted it as only a risk if you'd actually had it. Which I haven't, but I've been vaccinated.

Ok so, some research tells me:

Yes, you can get shingles if you had the chicken pox vaccine, but it is apparently much much rarer to get shingles after only having been vaccinated for chicken pox, than for those who actually had chicken pox.

But the "1 in 3" thing from the ad does apparently apply to the population overall, not within people who had chicken pox (or the vaccine). But the CDC also recommends the shingles vaccine for people aged 60 or older, because even though plenty of people do get shingles younger than that, it is much much more common as you age. And the risk increases as you age. Apparently, 50% of people who live to 85 will get shingles (largely due to the fact that 95% of those people will have had chicken pox). So I think it's fair to say the ad is invoking scare tactics if they're pushing the shingles vaccine to young and old alike. I mean, shingles totally sucks and I know someone in his 40s who has it, but at the same time, the stronger risk kicks in much later so sure consider the vaccine in general but if you're in the 30s, you don't really need to be worried yet. I do not know if this one is the kind where you might need a booster and thus being vaccinated when younger would mean you don't still need to do it when you're 60 anyway too. So who knows if it'd be a "why not now" proposition.

I think that ad is weird anyway, because they're acting like the patient would have to ask their doc for it. But trust me, if you're undergoing strong chemotherapy, they're going to tell you that you have to have it to keep your blood counts up.  Although I can see where that doohickey that automatically gives you the shot the next day would be handy for anyone who has to drive a long way to get to their oncologist. But they show it attached to her arm, where you would have to be careful not to bump it. Besides, I was always told to get it in my stomach or butt, as it was much less painful. The ad also doesn't mention that, because it's stimulating your bone marrow to make more blood cells, there's a good chance of feeling like you got hit by a Mack truck from your bones aching. 

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Maverick said:

I saw a commercial for a drug called Trintellix.  I have no idea what it's for, but when the name of drugs start sounding like Star Trek planets, it's time to just stop.  

"Captain, we are being attacked by the Adalimumabians."

"Mr. Spock, say that five times fast."

• Love 5