Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: When in Rome...

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Samantha lived below the 70's. I believe she live in SoHo or the Meatpacking district.

She was slut-shamed out of her building (after one of her trysts accidentally let in a robber behind them) and had to move into the meat-packing district.  An extremely transphobic episode followed.

I think Carrie saying that at least she and Big were happy “at the end” was extremely telling, especially given the callbacks to the badness of the affair.

I also don’t buy Charlotte saying Carrie and Big were the happiest couple she knows, given that in the first movie, which I just rewatched, everyone is taken aback by Charlotte stating that she is happy “every day” in her marriage.

So Big first wife gets nothing?  Where, yet AGAIN, in the original series, Carrie ends up stalking her, complete with coming up with a fake children’s book proposal about Cathy and her magic cigarettes, which admittedly was hilarious.  Will the rest of the show be Carrie stalking all of Big’s paramours?

I can’t remember where I initially read it, but I’m okay with the fan interpretation that both Big and Carrie are terrible people and deserve each other rather than inflicting themselves on the rest of the general population.

Spoiler

This is apparently Willie Carson’s last episode and I do not think it was the best send-off for him.

I also thought Charlotte was really dumb not to stay for the afterparty when it would have been a great opportunity to talk to Che about what’s going on with Rose.  But that would’ve interfered with whatever is going on with Che and Miranda, I guess.

I’ve stated it before, I’ll state it again - it is ridiculous to do this plotline when (1) they’ve already established Miranda as not being queer in that episode where she pretends to date another woman at the firm for clout, (2) we already went through this plotline with Sam and Maria and it was…not good and (3) Cynthia Nixon’s public persona should not dictate her character.  Plus, I liked them more in this episode, even if I thought few of their standup jokes were funny (this was a prime example of “chapter,” a term someone coined for audiences not actually laughing at something but applauding its wokeness) but I am not entirely sold on Che.  It would be hilariously awesome if Miranda called up aforementioned woman at the firm and was like “I’m queer now, wanna hang?”  

Also, for whatever problems Miranda and Steve had, they always seemed like they had a decent sex life.  Maybe they didn’t want to do another ED plotline after Trey but coming up with some physical thing would be better than “we just don’t have sex anymore and we’re cool with it!”

I’m surprised Carrie didn’t dig up John’s body to cut off his thumb to access the cell phone’s Touch ID.  She was seriously losing it in this episode.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
24 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

She was slut-shamed out of her building (after one of her trysts accidentally let in a robber behind them) and had to move into the meat-packing district.  An extremely transphobic episode followed.

I think Carrie saying that at least she and Big were happy “at the end” was extremely telling, especially given the callbacks to the badness of the affair.

I also don’t buy Charlotte saying Carrie and Big were the happiest couple she knows, given that in the first movie, which I just rewatched, everyone is taken aback by Charlotte stating that she is happy “every day” in her marriage.

So Big first wife gets nothing?  Where, yet AGAIN, in the original series, Carrie ends up stalking her, complete with coming up with a fake children’s book proposal about Cathy and her magic cigarettes, which admittedly was hilarious.  Will the rest of the show be Carrie stalking all of Big’s paramours?

I can’t remember where I initially read it, but I’m okay with the fan interpretation that both Big and Carrie are terrible people and deserve each other rather than inflicting themselves on the rest of the general population.

Hide contents

This is apparently Willie Carson’s last episode and I do not think it was the best send-off for him.

I also thought Charlotte was really dumb not to stay for the afterparty when it would have been a great opportunity to talk to Che about what’s going on with Rose.  But that would’ve interfered with whatever is going on with Che and Miranda, I guess.

I’ve stated it before, I’ll state it again - it is ridiculous to do this plotline when (1) they’ve already established Miranda as not being queer in that episode where she pretends to date another woman at the firm for clout, (2) we already went through this plotline with Sam and Maria and it was…not good and (3) Cynthia Nixon’s public persona should not dictate her character.  Plus, I liked them more in this episode, even if I thought few of their standup jokes were funny (this was a prime example of “chapter,” a term someone coined for audiences not actually laughing at something but applauding its wokeness) but I am not entirely sold on Che.  It would be hilariously awesome if Miranda called up aforementioned woman at the firm and was like “I’m queer now, wanna hang?”  

Also, for whatever problems Miranda and Steve had, they always seemed like they had a decent sex life.  Maybe they didn’t want to do another ED plotline after Trey but coming up with some physical thing would be better than “we just don’t have sex anymore and we’re cool with it!”

I’m surprised Carrie didn’t dig up John’s body to cut off his thumb to access the cell phone’s Touch ID.  She was seriously losing it in this episode.

I thought that whole scene at Che’s show was gonna lead to Charlotte and Rose’s storyline evolving … not Miranda becoming Cynthia Nixon… 

• Love 17
38 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:
  Hide contents
Spoiler

This is apparently Willie Carson’s last episode and I do not think it was the best send-off for him

Oh no... Charlotte was terrible to him and treated him like shit.

Why is everyone always competing to be Carrie's friend?

She is no prize.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21

till have issues with the whole thing.

I don't like where they are taking Miranda. I get it. The actress is a lesbian but they don't have to make the character a lesbian. And the fact that they are pointing her to an alcoholic bothers me as well. Also Carrie not taking Charlotte's concern about Miranda's drinking seriously shows what a shitty friend Carrie is (yes she's grieving) but Miranda was there for her above everything else.

When did Stanford and Charlotte become so bitchy. First, I agree with Stanford - a table for 3 is technically a table for 4. And if Carrie invited Stanford, she wanted him there regardless of how Charlotte feels.

Next, Carrie is being unrealistic in her ask that they find a restaurant where she hasn't eaten with either John or Samantha. I get it not wanting to go yet to any places she's eaten with John but for goodness sake those women ate at every restaurant in Manhattan. They would have to go to the Bronx or Flushing's if they wanted somewhere that Carrie has eaten at.

At this point, I think Brady's ho is squatting at Miranda's and Steve's. Prove me wrong.

Love the fact that neither she (Carrie) or John could remember their landline number. Otherwise she would have recognized it.

Carrie went overboard stalking Natasha. Natasha should really remember to lock the public washroom door.

If Miranda and Steve are not having sex for years and years maybe she should talk to Steve about this before smoking weed and flirting with other people. Miranda always had an active sex life. Remember back when she was pregnant she was still having sex then after she had Brady, She had condoms and a vibrator in her nightstand when Magda replaced it with a cross which she chewed Magda out about. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Kristin Davis' plastic surgery has settled and she looks amazing, exactly like she did in the original. 

Oh, I disagree. Her facial expressions are distorted, I guess because the facial muscles that would normally move, can't. And then it's almost like other facial muscles are overcompensating.

I wish she'd let her lovely face age naturally.

• Love 20

Fun plot point: Miranda didn’t listen to Carrie’s podcast - and, in fact, was written as straight-up refusing to listen to it — until after she had her first interaction with Che.  I am using the word “fun” in the most sarcastic sense and am rolling my eyes so hard.  

I’m genuinely imagining a “I’ve loved you ever since I heard your voice on your podcast” scene in the not-too-distant future because, you know, the writers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

Fun plot point: Miranda didn’t listen to Carrie’s podcast - and, in fact, was written as straight-up refusing to listen to it — until after she had her first interaction with Che.  I am using the word “fun” in the most sarcastic sense and am rolling my eyes so hard.  

I’m genuinely imagining a “I’ve loved you ever since I heard your voice on your podcast” scene in the not-too-distant future because, you know, the writers.

Good luck to you should you watch such a scene. I was resistant to this revival to begin with, but I decided to give it a shot. But the BS regarding Miranda has decided for me: I'm done.

• Love 4

Carrie is a lousy, selfish friend a woman could have and Miranda deserves better. The way she quickly dismissed Charlotte’s concern about Miranda’s drinking, that’s so unkind. Miranda is Carrie’s “ride or die”.

Am not into Miranda’s sexual awakening journey. I wish her giddiness with Che is just a phase but I know they will go deeper than that. Ugh 😣 

Charlotte’s conversation with uncle Anthony was adorable but her “he was with you first” logic re Big/Natasha/Carrie’s situation was ridiculous.

Carrie bumping into Natasha at a random coffee shop was far fetched even at her own neighbourhood.

Knowing what we know, seeing Stanford being slammed by the door repeatedly, it wasn’t funny! 😢

Where’s LTW? I want more of her than Che.

Ehemm ehemm, hello Franklyn! 😘

2AD6E269-DB38-4F6E-87FE-47C89E87D684.jpeg

• Love 5

Three episodes in and the second movie is starting to look better and better. lol 

I'm a little bummed that this was Willie's final episode and that Stanford didn't get better material. I understand Willie wanting to keep his illness private (until he couldn't anymore, which I think by then it was far too late to film anything additional), but for his work as Stanford I kind of wish he told SJP and MPK prior to or at the start of filming so that maybe they could've written something different and filmed all of Stanford's scenes as early as possible/in advance so that they could close out his story. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Samantha lived below the 70's. I believe she live in SoHo or the Meatpacking district. 

On a superficial note:

Carrie's hair is gorgeous. 

Kristin Davis' plastic surgery has settled and she looks amazing, exactly like she did in the original. 

Miranda looks so frumpy. The wardrobe choices for her are a fail. 

Also, when did Charlotte ever have an issue with Stannie? I don't remember that at all. 

Yep, Carrie's hair or the lacefront that Sarah uses - the one with beach waves - is fabulous.  However, her hands are aged to the nth degree.  THIS is what happens when women keep extreme diets for long periods of time (see any of the top thin TV stars of the past 25 years up to 2010). This is not normal aging.  Not in the slightest which is why I object that similar critiques are ageist or "body shaming."  Again, this is not normal aging.  The actress is not even 60.  Many of my colleagues are older than 60 and have not employed extreme dieting in their earlier years and are blossoming.  They are beautiful.  Some even rock gray hair (I'm being sarcastic at the tone of wonder in these words) which looks fabulous on some women, think of the character Storm.  Also, before you start throwing stones at the hair comment above, all I want to add is there are many people who work on TV shows and movies and they have relatives.  That is all I am going to say on that.

Edited by Hotellanai
  • Love 13

Sigh. What is with these revivals trying to ruin our wonderful memories of tv magic? The most infamous for me so far has been Amy Sherman-Palladino having her hateful revenge for being ousted from Gilmore Girls by giving us that execrable Netflix revival. I recovered from that steaming pile of merde by pretending it doesn't exist. I fear I'm going to have to do the same with this show, too. I was so happy to see my ladies back (well, 3 of 4, anyway). Now I'm not. I have a sad.

Also, if what Che does is what passes for stand-up comedy today, the end truly is nigh. There was nothing funny about that. On point messaging? You go, girl. But definitely not even remotely funny.

Edited by LiterateDog
  • Love 23

I actually buy that.  The stereotype, which is often true, is that Macs are for creatives and PCs are for business people.  (In the episode where Miranda’s mom and Carrie’s laptop died, the tech guy told that she and Aidan were “not compatible” due to their different computers.)  There were two different kinds of cords while Carrie was searching for a charger for Big’s phone.  That said, given the product placement that Apple has had with the show for seemingly forever, I’m surprised they even acknowledged other competitors.  (IMDB claims the first movie was the first time an IPhone appeared in a film.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I also thought Charlotte was really dumb not to stay for the afterparty when it would have been a great opportunity to talk to Che about what’s going on with Rose.  

I don't see Charlotte confiding something that personal with a stranger.  I also would say it isn't entirely clear what is going on with Rose, and there's not much Che would tell Charlotte except to be open and supportive.

But mostly dismissing Charlotte's concerns about Miranda (a mini party in her back pack, really????) even though Miranda drops everything to support her through her grief. 

In fairness to Carrie, she's deep in her own grief.  It's easier to go into denial than consider the alternative.  Miranda also seems pretty high functioning, so Carrie isn't seeing the problem.

• Love 5

After re-watching the series, BIG should have been written out after season 3. And if not, Carrie should have ended the series single. It would have been truer to the characters. And the re-boot would have been way less annoying.

I'm ALL for inclusion but this just seems like box checking... of course Miranda is now bisexual, of course Charlotte's daughter doesn't feel like a girl. None of it is written very thoughtfully and it's all jam packed into 45 minuts.

Also, why is this show still in the comedy section? I haven't laughed once.

Also - In addition to the writing being off, I've decided that the chemistry is off because the show = all 4 girls. 

Edited by Miss Slay
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

This all just pisses me off. As I said, I have nothing against LGBTQ+ representation, but not at the expense of what ACTUALLY occurred on the original series. The foundation for Miranda's shift is crap, so I just cannot buy this.

I believe the word you are looking for is "gratuitous," LGBTQ+ story line, I think the writers have taken one from column A, one from column B, etc...they are cramming all the woke and trendy mechanisms they can find in to one story line that does not seem all that organic to Miranda's character. What happened to the Miranda we knew, she would look at situations with a cynical eye and actually talk to Carrie, Samantha and Charlotte about these issues.  I don't think she ever really talked to Steve about things that mattered outside of their couples therapy in the first movie and maybe that is a much bigger issue. 

My thought is before Miranda runs off to dip her toe in the lady pond she should straighten out her home life, her kid does not need to be having sex with his girlfriend in her house, aren't they both 17 (and that is enabling underage sex under her roof, can she get in trouble for that?), where are that girls parents? Miranda needs to tell Steve she is having feelings of some sort or another and may need some time to figure things out but we know that won't happen.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

Also: was Charlotte's immediate knowledge of what a million is after taxes a subtle callback to her 1M divorce payout she wrangled out of Bunny? (I always sort of thought she got the apartment in lieu of the million.)

I don't think so. Divorce settlements are usually not taxable since they come out of assets that the couple already owns. Inheritance is also not taxable for that matter, if its amount, combined with the value of any gifts given by the deceased person during their lifetime, does not exceed $11.7M. So, unless Big had gifted Natasha more than $10.7 during his lifetime outside of their marriage and divorce, Charlotte is wrong and Natasha wouldn't owe any taxes if she had accepted the bequest.

11 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

To change the subject to finances, which feels a bit safer than any other thread -- 1) if Big left Natasha a million, how much does Carrie now have? I guess we already knew she was set for life (I always identified with her much more when she still had vestiges of the woman whose chose buying Vogue over buying dinner because it 'nourished her more.' 2) SURELY Carrie has paid Charlotte back for the downpayment on her apartment but I sort of feel like Carrie should put Rose and Lily through school with her windfall to show her eternal gratitude?? (I mean, not really, Charlotte and Harry don't need it, esp never having had a mortgage, but still!)

1) Nobody seemed to flinch at the amount that Big left Natasha, so it must have been a token amount for him. The NYC apartment looks like it's worth at least $5M, there was mention of a house in the Hamptons, and I'm sure there are tens if not hundreds of millions in financial assets. I noticed when Carrie was trying to break into Big's home computer that he had a Bloomberg terminal, so he must have still been actively trading (and the markets have recovered very nicely since the start of the pandemic).

2) I'm *still* angry that Carrie didn't pay Charlotte back immediately when she got the advance for her first book, and instead blew it on a Prada shirt for Berger. Considering what a bitch Carrie was to Charlotte about that money in the first place, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte just wrote it off as the cost of being friends with Carrie.

1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

There's no way Mr. John James Preston would have used a Dell and not Apple's iMac... 

See above for my comment on Big having a Bloomberg terminal. Those are only compatible with Windows PCs.

On a different topic, did anyone else think it was weird that Charlotte is still reading children's books to Rose? Rose is a teenager; most parents stop reading to their kids when they're old enough to read on their own, i.e. six or seven.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 20
9 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My thought is before Miranda runs off to dip her toe in the lady pond she should straighten out her home life, her kid does not need to be having sex with his girlfriend in her house, aren't they both 17 (and that is enabling underage sex under her roof, can she get in trouble for that?), where are that girls parents?

I looked it up and in New York, the age of consent is 17.  I am with you though in not understanding why it is that the girl is apparently having overnights in their home, and it seems way too permissive for someone like Miranda. 

9 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

On a different topic, did anyone else think it was weird that Charlotte is still reading children's books to Rose? Rose is a teenager; most parents stop reading to their kids when they're old enough to read on their own, i.e. six or seven.

I just figure it's a little thing that she and Rose share. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

There's no way Mr. John James Preston would have used a Dell and not Apple's iMac... 

I can believe that, actually. He was a businessman and old-school guy. I can see him making sort of a point sticking to the computers he'd always used.

I never bought Miranda/Steve as an endgame couple once they changed him from the literate bartender she met into a manchild, so I don't have an issue with that aspect of it. But, and I speak as a queer woman here, I'd rather have seen Robert come back, or a new man brought on.

I have trouble buying Carrie's insecurity about Natasha, too. It's one of those things where it works only if one is immersed in how much time they actually saw Carrie and Big being married, which is hardly any, but when we look at objective time, Carrie and Big were married for a long time.

15 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Not really. I'm still reading books to my niece, who's 11. She's a great reader on her own; she just likes the time together and the voices I do. I would guess Rose also likes the time with her mother.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I liked this episode, the writing felt tighter and funnier and a little poignant and realistic, mostly. I liked Carrie’s story the most, a little surprisingly. Yeah, it’s annoying that she’s stalking Natasha again, but in this case, I kind of got it. And, for good or bad, she felt more like Carrie again: neurotic, unsure of Big’s love, seeking out clues about how he felt about her and what he’d been doing and thinking. The scene between Natasha and Carrie was mostly gracious and kind; I appreciated that. Carrie’s not much of a stalker tho, if she didn’t even know Natasha was/is married with college aged kids. And I get why she went ‘home’ and I will welcome seeing her old familiar apartment again.

I came here to say this. Carrie did feel like Carrie again- for better or worse. 

2 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I'm a little bummed that this was Willie's final episode and that Stanford didn't get better material. I understand Willie wanting to keep his illness private (until he couldn't anymore, which I think by then it was far too late to film anything additional), but for his work as Stanford I kind of wish he told SJP and MPK prior to or at the start of filming so that maybe they could've written something different and filmed all of Stanford's scenes as early as possible/in advance so that they could close out his story. 

Oh I didn’t know that. How sad. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Did I really hear Carrie say Big chose her over Natasha?  That isn't how I remember it.

5 hours ago, qtpye said:

Carrie is a drama queen.

She is now an incredibly wealthy widowed woman without kids and pets. Carrie is healthy enough that she can walk all over Manhattan in giant chunky heeled platforms (though not the stilettos of her youth).

A part of her wanted there to be some truth in Big having feelings or an affair so she could again be the center of everyone's world with her drama.

We all knew that Big gave Natasha that piddling (to him) sum of money to make up for his assholery. 

Instead, we just got confirmation that Carrie has always been the love of his life and not just a wife he takes care of.

Even on the toilet, Natasha is classier than Carrie.

He was always in love with Carrie? ROFL! No, he was in love with Natasha and married her. Then the love waned, he got bored, he ran into Carrie and started an affair because he was bored and he and Carrie were always pretty good in bed. Also, I think she was right when she accused him of only wanting her when she had moved on and was in another relationship with Aiden. I don't call that love.

Poor Natasha. Yes, she was dignified and graceful but we get yet another character assassination when she turns into the pathetic, insecure one who claims she's been thinking about Carrie all this time. Please. We never saw her stalking Carrie. Seems like she found a better guy and had two sons and looks fabulous. I wish she would have said, "Carrie, why are you still carrying me around in your head? Stop stalking me. No, we didn't have an affair. I haven't seen him since the divorce but I guess he still felt a little guilty. I'm donating the $1 million to a dog rescue in memory of Gogi, you know, his beloved dog that he always talked about."

3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Charlotte’s conversation with uncle Anthony was adorable but her “he was with you first” logic re Big/Natasha/Carrie’s situation was ridiculous.

That's some insane rationalization there. So, by that thinking, the guy I slept with when we were both virgins is still "mine" if I choose to go claim him from his wife???

Edited by RedHawk
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13

I liked this episode the best of the three, but the constant waxing over gender identity is getting old. I get it. They're trying to be the wokiest of the woke, but good grief, it's so ham-fisted. What's next, Charlotte's English Bulldog comes out as non-binary? 

I wish Carrie would quit the podcast. It's vulgar and she doesn't bring anything to the table. 

I agree with everyone that Natasha didn't owe Carrie anything, however I'm surprised Charlotte was on the "you had him first" team. On the original series, she was extremely upset when she found out about the affair and tried to get Carrie to see how wrong it was. 

I'm also confused by Stanford's conversation with Charlotte. I don't recall them ever having beef, and if Carrie specifically invited him to lunch, it's not Charlotte's prerogative to ask him to leave. 

The final scene of Carrie returning home to her original apartment was beautifully done, my favorite of the episode. 

• Love 15
15 hours ago, Harvey said:

I loved the scene where Carrie tried to get into Big's computer. I was right there with her and felt every emotion, that situation is so frustrating.

14 hours ago, Maum said:

PS isn't Gogi the computer password? It seemed so obvious. 

The picture said "Gogi '65" on back.  I'd have tried gogi65 as the password.

Do people really sleep in pearl necklaces?  They're pretty delicate.

I guess it's possible that in her mania, Carrie didn't recognize her own phone #.  After all, Big had to write it on a scrap of paper! (I recognize that she's probably only given out her cell phone  for years.)

14 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Carrie’s not much of a stalker tho, if she didn’t even know Natasha was/is married with college aged kids.

Trinity is K-12.  Maybe Natasha's a rare mother who respects her kids' privacy!

13 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

And now Miranda is somehow possibly into women, after stating point blank back in an early season "I'm not gay!" She laughed at Samantha when she dated a woman. I just... I can't. Please stop destroying what was good about the show piece by piece to appease some new standard the old show didn't exist to measure up to.

Isn't it possible she is attracted to this one particular person?

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've heard of too many cases where a teenage child was encouraged to pursue sex change operations prematurely with bad results. 

Sex-change operations on minors?  I don't think that happens. Hormone suppression, certainly, but it appears that Rose has already reached puberty.

5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I hate both Carrie’s and Miranda's eyewear. Charlotte's are good. 

I actually like Miranda's! Agree about Charlotte's (very flattering) and Carrie's (not so much.)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

He was always in love with Carrie? ROFL! No, he was in love with Natasha and married her. 

Thank goodness someone else said this because I said similar elsewhere.

Big was adamant he wasn't going to marry again, until Natasha came into his life, and he married her. 

Big might have gotten bored in the marriage, but I don't believe he never loved Natasha. I can't imagine you'd get married unless you genuinely loved the other person. I'm aware there are exceptions to this, but you all get what I'm saying here.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Trinity is K-12.  Maybe Natasha's a rare mother who respects her kids' privacy!

Yeah. If Brady was aged down to 17, Natasha wouldn’t have kids in college even if she met someone else and got pregnant right away. 

Also, I don’t know any mother that has snacks in her purse for her children that are in college. 

5 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Thank goodness someone else said this because I said similar elsewhere.

Big was adamant he wasn't going to marry again, until Natasha came into his life, and he married her. 

Big might have gotten bored in the marriage, but I don't believe he never loved Natasha. I can't imagine you'd get married unless you genuinely loved the other person. I'm aware there are exceptions to this, but you all get what I'm saying here.

Personally I think Big loved Big first and foremost. He married Natasha probably because he wanted to possess her and knew he couldn’t keep her around without marriage, but I don’t think he loved her. 

I don’t think he was “in love” with Carrie during the affair either. After years of being together he may have grown to love Carrie. 

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Evie said:

I liked Steve and Miranda together, but if they want to break them up, fine. I just hate that they are turning Miranda into Cynthia Nixon. I also hate that they are making her an alcoholic. 

I don't like Che. They are too pushy. 

That stand up routine didn't even illict the mildest of laughs. I don't find Che funny, the writers or the actor or whoever is making the choices about the character seem to have mistaken shouty for funny.

Given that people are giving out about turning Miranda into Cynthia Nixon, are they also turning Rose into Cynthia's son (https://people.com/tv/cynthia-nixon-reveals-son-samuel-is-transgender/) who is trans. I think that if thats where they're taking Rose's character that it will not be examined in any even mildly critical way. I think more than Rose exploring gender (I'm over that as a storyline) it would have been more interesting to see her clash more with Charlotte and Charlotte struggle to connect with her in the same way Harry does.

Why are Rose and Lily sharing a room, its not even a small room where you could be like well its NY they obviously don't have enough space for each of them to have their own room, put a partition down it and give them each some privacy. Who reads to a teenager?

One of the main points of the first movie was that Miranda and Steve needed to keep a sexual spark, finding out now that they've gone years without sex made me roll my eyes. I felt for Miranda in the first movie when Steve was cheating, now I kind of hope hes having fun elsewhere given how insufferable shes become.

The money aspect is kind of weird, its implied in the first ep that Carrie needs the podcast job, I suppose you could have said that maybe her and Big are keeping finances separate but shes a multi millionaire now after inheriting his estate so she in no way needs that awful podcast. On the other hand Miranda was always so cautious about money so how is she funding her lifestyle now, she doesn't have a job and presumably is paying for her Masters etc. she was always panicking about money but I don't think its come up at all now in the 3 eps that have aired.
I hate Brady.

I'm really enjoying the clothes although I hate the clunky wedges they put Miranda in, they're so inelegant and clumpy. Give me flats any day over those wedges.

• Love 11

I hate what they've done to Miranda.  In the first episode they made her a bumbling oaf who can't string two sentences together.  Now she's a woman in a loveless marriage who hasn't had sex in years and is ok with that.  No no no.  The old Miranda never would have acted this way, never would have been pushed around in class like she was the first day, never would accept staying in a marriage like that.  She lets her 17 year old kid and his girlfriend treat her like a doormat?  Again, old Miranda never would have allowed that bullshit under her roof.  She was a master communicator, and all these are utter, complete lack of communication issues.  They've totally neutered Miranda, taken away her spine. 

I can begrudgingly accept Miranda having a late in life discovery of maybe she's not 100% heterosexual/binary, but again, it doesn't fit her character at all for this to be something totally new to her now.  And the biggest problem is that they've shown no reason for her to be specifically attracted to Che.  Che's been an ass, to pretty much everyone.  I'm not saying there had to be a meet cute to create some spark, but show us something that would attract Miranda to Che.  As someone above said, having her interested in her professor would make much more sense. 

Natasha - I think I'm at a table for one on this, but I thought Natasha was being a dick by refusing to talk to Carrie.  She's an adult.  Big left her $1 million, so is it really all that unthinkable and unreasonable that maybe Carrie might want to talk to her?  Be an adult, talk to her, and put everything to rest and move on. 

I put on heels this past Saturday for a holiday party.  They were only 2 or 2.5".  And my feet hurt after 20 minutes.  That's how much my feet have become no longer used to wearing heels.  (I didn't wear them much pre-Covid, but it's been almost 2 years since I've put heels on.)  I'd like to know how Carrie and friends are walking NYC streets in 4-5" heels.  And no, just saying they're "chunky heels" doesn't cut it!  They're still heels! 

Final note:  Everyone needs a "digital will".  They're a thing, they provide all pertinent passwords to whoever is going to need them upon your death.  And, yes, I also thought Gogi65 was going to be the password.  Maybe it still will, but I think we're beyond that plot point. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Jerrydoo said:

I just can't with all this anymore. For a generation that's so hung up on not being labeled they sure have a ton of them. They, them, cis, non binary, gay, bi, boomers, gen x y and z. The list goes on and on. Please, all they want is to be labeled. Well fine then if I get to choose to be whatever I want I identify as a 30 year old woman with a hot ass.

Glorious!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah. If Brady was aged down to 17, Natasha wouldn’t have kids in college even if she met someone else and got pregnant right away. 

Also, I don’t know any mother that has snacks in her purse for her children that are in college. 

Personally I think Big loved Big first and foremost. He married Natasha probably because he wanted to possess her and knew he couldn’t keep her around without marriage, but I don’t think he loved her. 

I don’t think he was “in love” with Carrie during the affair either. After years of being together he may have grown to love Carrie. 

Yeah. I got the impression that Natasha's boys were under 18. 

You might be right about the reason Big married Natasha. There are a multitude of reasons people marry. I like Natasha, so I think I prefer to believe he loved her, on some level anyway. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, chaifan said:

They're still heels! 

The best/worst in this episode was the ladies throwing out “and she was wearing flats!” regarding Natasha as if that was an actual insult.  Yes, because, she actually has to walk in this city and doesn’t treat it like a perpetual fashion runway like Carrie?

• Love 19
On 12/16/2021 at 8:51 AM, Yeah No said:

Let her find herself, she's young yet to know for sure.  Until puberty I thought I should have been a boy - I was a tomboy too.  But I grew out of it with my first crush on a boy.  So just wait it out and see where she goes.  I've heard of too many cases where a teenage child was encouraged to pursue sex change operations prematurely with bad results.  Why do I think Charlotte is going to bend over to push her into being a boy just out of guilt?  

Ask any LGBTQ person or anyone that knew them closely as a child, and they knew. This is bullshit, I was just as obviously gay as a young child looking back at videos, pictures and my own memories and my mother's memories as my nephew is now at the same age. I would be carrying around way less mental trauma now if I was just allowed to be gay like my nephew will be. Funny, the only "girl" I was ever attracted to is a trans man and it turns out most of my childhood male friendships ended up coming out later in life.

Edited by John M
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I always thought Big married Natasha because she was the archetype of the kind of woman guys like him are "supposed" to be with: tall, classy, model-esque. For him, Carrie was the good-time girl, but not wife material.

It's also important to note that Carrie only ended up with Big because Natasha divorced him. What would've happened if Natasha forgave the affair and decided to stay? Would Big have eventually left her for Carrie? My spidey senses say no. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, LiterateDog said:

Also, if what Che does is what passes for stand-up comedy today, the end truly is nigh. There was nothing funny about that. On point messaging? You go, girl. But definitely not even remotely funny.

That was my big takeaway… I don’t watch a lot of comedy specials and I don’t have Netflix, so I don’t have a nuanced understanding of how they operate. But I was like, “Aren’t comedy specials supposed to be… comedic?” The comment that got a little chuckle out of me was that Che would have had a special five years ago if they were male. Everything felt so forced, from the audience reactions, to Miranda and Charlotte’s reactions, to Che’s lines that just screamed LOOK AT HOW FUN AND FUNNY I AM. I get that some one-person shows end up more serious and self revelatory in nature, but we were being told how funny this was, and it wasn’t. If this show had portrayed it as a more serious (or at least just autobiographical) special with a few laughs thrown in, it would have felt more authentic. And maybe even actually funny. Instead of totally stilted.

Also, Anthony—whom I never enjoyed in the original series or films, as I found him rude and abrasive—presented one of the most authentic and natural-feeling (to me) responses in the past three episodes. It was the only thing that felt like an actual piece of advice that an actual human would say to another human… instead of a plot point or box-checking comment.

• Love 22

I agree that this episode felt the most “natural” of the three so far—dialogue was better, scenes were less clunky and the characters seemed more like I remembered them. I don’t know if these were filmed in the order were seeing them but maybe it took a minute for the actors to “find” their characters’ voices again. In any case, I hope we see more of the same moving forward. 

However I don’t necessarily agree that Carrie’s state of being at this time isn’t truly representative of how a widow would or should be acting. We all grieve differently and there is no one right way.  That said, do we really want to watch a show with the main character severely depressed, crying constantly—or at least intermittently—and unable to get out of bed? I know I don’t.  Maybe they should have done a 6 month or 1 year time jump between episodes 2 and 3. 

The Miranda and Che stuff was pretty cringe, but not as cringe as Che’s stand up routine. Ooof. Call me old fashioned but I prefer my comedy to be… funny? 

• Love 9

Gosh, I totally agree. I just watched this last night (haven’t seen first two because I’m not in the mood for the grimness) but Che? NOT FUNNY. It’s SO jarring to see everyone laughing and in awe when I’m sitting there going WTF is so special about this? It felt like hammering an already thoroughly smashed nail.  Then when Che breathed pot in Miranda’s mouth all I could think of WAY TO GIVE HER THE COVID THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO EXIST IN THIS SERIES.  After being masked for as long as we have I was squirming in horror. I dunno. I think the times we are living in just have me too anxious and irritable to enjoy something like this. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

So, they were cryogenically frozen after the second movie and have just been reanimated? It isn't the ongoing story of four minus one great friends - or they would know all the stuff about each other's lives that is now a surprise. Like Miranda and Steve are in a sexless marriage these last X years, and she is now a daytime drinker. You'd notice the alcohol on your friend's breath, clock her drinking a bit more than usual at lunch.

And wouldn't Natasha have been invited to or made aware of her ex-husband's funeral? It's really annoying to have all these clunky things in the script.

Still, that was noticeably less embarrassing to watch. I think not shoehorning every woke term and type known to man every few minutes, and the bulk of the focus being mostly on the three friends helped. There was even a hint of an interesting storyline, with the computer, probable password being the dog photo caption, and more hidden meaning to Big's will! Please god they don't drop it...

If they just jump to Carrie has 'speed-grieved' aka not slept for a couple of weeks and done a lot of walking in platform heels and is back in her old apartment (I really didn't recognise it/the doors) and now she is ready for love... and big heapings of this fetid Miranda and Che plotline, and Rose is really a boy, and more of that ridiculous 'podcast', and side plots of this cast of new and unnecessary characters, I may lose the will to live.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's also important to note that Carrie only ended up with Big because Natasha divorced him. What would've happened if Natasha forgave the affair and decided to stay? Would Big have eventually left her for Carrie? My spidey senses say no. 

I think if Natasha had decided to forgive Big for the affair he may have divorced her eventually because he would've hated being married. But left her for Carrie? Nah. Big also cheated on wife 1 and she left him (although they stayed friendly). 

Natasha had her lawyers tell Big’s lawyers she didn’t want the money. She was under no obligation to speak to Carrie. Now it would be different if there were kids involved or something, but Natasha was married to Big for about a year 20yrs ago- she didn’t need to have a convo with his widow. But because she’s not an awful person she was nice to her in the end, when fate put them in that coffee shop together. 

9 minutes ago, violet and green said:

And wouldn't Natasha have been invited to or made aware of her ex-husband's funeral? It's really annoying to have all these clunky things in the script.

She was aware- she said to his lawyers that she didn’t want the inheritance. She and Big were married for only a year about 20yrs ago. No kids and no mutual friends, I’m not surprised she didn’t go to the funeral. 

7 hours ago, shouldbedancing said:

Didn't care much for the comedy routine but I did like the sexual tension between Che and Miranda. I ship it.

I admit Che has a sexy swagger that can’t be denied. I saw the tension. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

She was aware- she said to his lawyers that she didn’t want the inheritance. She and Big were married for only a year about 20yrs ago. No kids and no mutual friends, I’m not surprised she didn’t go to the funeral. 

That indicates she was aware he had died, having been notified of her inclusion in the will. I was expecting her to be at the funeral.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Who reads to a teenager?

9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I just figure it's a little thing that she and Rose share. 

Agree with the last. Rose is probably about 12, and seems to enjoy it, so why not?  It doesn't mean that she doesn't also read on her own.

6 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I'm really enjoying the clothes although I hate the clunky wedges they put Miranda in, they're so inelegant and clumpy. Give me flats any day over those wedges.

But then Charlotte would dis her!

12 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I’ve stated it before, I’ll state it again - it is ridiculous to do this plotline when (1) they’ve already established Miranda as not being queer in that episode where she pretends to date another woman at the firm for clout,

I still think it's possible for one person to be attracted to another person who is far outside her usual dating profile. Maybe Che's blend of "masculinity" to "traditional femininity" overcame Miranda's previous disinterest in other women?  Attraction can be unexpected.

11 hours ago, greekmom said:

I don't like where they are taking Miranda. I get it. The actress is a lesbian but they don't have to make the character a lesbian.

I think she actual identifies as bisexual or queer. So not necessarily a complete shift from men to women, which seems to be bothering some viewers.

9 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My thought is before Miranda runs off to dip her toe in the lady pond she should straighten out her home life, . . . . Miranda needs to tell Steve she is having feelings of some sort or another and may need some time to figure things out but we know that won't happen.

Yes, otherwise the term for what she is thinking of doing is "cheating", even if she and her husband are not sleeping together.  At the very least, she is contemplating having an emotional affair, which might actually be worse.

12 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Agreed.

11 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Logically, isn't the first thing Carrie would have asked Natasha have been if Natasha knew about Big?

Possibly, but it had been days since the will was read.  Natasha would have been notified of her inheritance.

I do think Carrie should have said that Natasha should accept the bequest.  Put it in a trust for her sons' college costs, perhaps, and then donate the rest to charity, if she wished, when they were done with their education.

9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Inheritance is also not taxable for that matter, if its amount, combined with the value of any gifts given by the deceased person during their lifetime, does not exceed $11.7M. So, unless Big had gifted Natasha more than $10.7 during his lifetime outside of their marriage and divorce, Charlotte is wrong and Natasha wouldn't owe any taxes if she had accepted the bequest.

You may be combining federal estate tax and gift tax regulations, but the gist of it is that Big's estate would pay any such taxes, not Natasha, as there is no federal inheritance tax.  (Six states have an inheritance tax, but NY is not one of them.) So, Natasha would keep the entire $1M bequest.

11 hours ago, greekmom said:

Love the fact that neither she (Carrie) or John could remember their landline number. Otherwise she would have recognized it.

Agreed.  But it would make a lot more sense for Big to keep it in his phone, then on a random scrap of paper.

11 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Yes, that is totally the reason she listened to it.

9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't see Charlotte confiding something that personal with a stranger.  I also would say it isn't entirely clear what is going on with Rose, and there's not much Che would tell Charlotte except to be open and supportive.

In fairness to Carrie, she's deep in her own grief.  It's easier to go into denial than consider the alternative.  Miranda also seems pretty high functioning, so Carrie isn't seeing the problem.

I completely agree with both.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, violet and green said:

That indicates she was aware he had died, having been notified of her inclusion in the will. I was expecting her to be at the funeral.

I wouldn’t expect that given the situation. If they had stayed friendly/same social circle then yes, but as it stood I didn’t expect her to be there. 

• Love 4

Natasha's marriage to Big ended in humiliation and physical injury. I wouldn't expect her to go to the funeral. I'm also surprised she didn't keep the money. She probably spent a small fortune on  that post-fall cosmetic dental surgery. 

• Love 19
21 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

To change the subject to finances, which feels a bit safer than any other thread -- 1) if Big left Natasha a million, how much does Carrie now have? I guess we already knew she was set for life (I always identified with her much more when she still had vestiges of the woman whose chose buying Vogue over buying dinner because it 'nourished her more.' 2) SURELY Carrie has paid Charlotte back for the downpayment on her apartment but I sort of feel like Carrie should put Rose and Lily through school with her windfall to show her eternal gratitude?? (I mean, not really, Charlotte and Harry don't need it, esp never having had a mortgage, but still!)

She’s loaded!! Unfortunately part of the grief of losing a spouse is compounded by financial problems. Carrie does not have this one with she’s a millionaire with 2 apartments . She doesn’t have the crippling  dread  of wondering how she is going to stay in her home, pay the bills & eat now that she is alone. She only has her grief to contend with. Not a small thing but there being absolutely no changes to lifestyle is a big weight off & affects her grieving process 

• Love 15