Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: When in Rome...

• Start Topic

On 12/16/2021 at 7:04 AM, Yeah No said:

Correcting the original series' exclusionary oversights by hitting the audience over the head with a 100 pound weight is not the way to do that, IMHO, and that's what I think is happening here.  I think it should feel like it's happening organically or it is just too much for the audience to believe or want.  In this case it feels like it's being done as a grand gesture to show the audience how progressive the producers and writers have become, when in reality it only shows how guilt ridden and full of shit they are.  I never thought MPK or Darren Starr knew what NYC was really all about.  It seemed to me like they were in this little rich white male cocoon and writing the city from that perspective, which skewed elitist and exclusionary on more fronts than just race, although that was part of it. 

Thank you!!!  I was interested in seeing where the ladies are 20 years later, not expecting or wanting  a big pile of WOKE shoveled in my face every 5 minutes. All these diversity plots seem forced. I envision a whiteboard with each Special Situation listed and checked off when they find a place to ram it in.  I expect an illegal alien nanny and a lecture on critical race theory before it's over.

Edited by MBayGal
fixed typo
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13
On 12/16/2021 at 5:40 PM, LiterateDog said:

Also, if what Che does is what passes for stand-up comedy today, the end truly is nigh. There was nothing funny about that. On point messaging? You go, girl. But definitely not even remotely funny.

Frankly, I just FF through her scenes.  Not what I signed up for.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

Frankly, I just FF through her scenes.  Not what I signed up for.

Can you imagine the director, producer and editor going over the scenes and saying, Yeah, we need more of her. The audience will love it. Whomever said person is should be fired. And, if Miranda hooks up with her I’m out. Not because it’s same sex but because I don’t care for the character or the actress. Also, the radio (podcast) show scenes are even more embarrassing. The guy isn’t funny either. The whole plot is dumb. Can’t Carrie have a job that doesn’t involve this angle of media for Carrie to pursue? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Can you imagine the director, producer and editor going over the scenes and saying, Yeah, we need more of her. The audience will love it. Whomever said person is should be fired. And, if Miranda hooks up with her I’m out. Not because it’s same sex but because I don’t care for the character or the actress. Also, the radio (podcast) show scenes are even more embarrassing. The guy isn’t funny either. The whole plot is dumb. Can’t Carrie have a job that doesn’t involve this angle of media for Carrie to pursue? 

Carrie should be writing more books.  She's best when she has her OWN voice, not when someone (i.e. Che) tells her what to do/say.  It's not her.  She even said that.  

• Love 11
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Carrie should be writing more books.  She's best when she has her OWN voice, not when someone (i.e. Che) tells her what to do/say.  It's not her.  She even said that.  

I'm hoping that when Carrie moves back to her apartment, she realizes writing is her true talent, and quits that stupid podcast. She could write about being a relatively young widow and navigating the world newly single, getting back into dating, etc. 

• Love 10

You guys have great suggestions.  It would be more fitting in her character, and even 2021 ish, for us to see scenes of her recording her books as audiobooks.  Books aren't dead yet!  There are Kindles and all that.  Or, she could be doing her column as a podcast where it's JUST her.  Why is she a guest on a podcast?  She's been a New York Star writer for how many decades?  Isn't she enough of a voice to have her own show?  She could do that "I couldn't help but wonder" bullshit on a podcast show and have people call in for advice.  Anyways, the writers are trying way too hard and it's just not feeling right.  They never felt this desperate in the early years of SATC.

I wonder what Candace Bushnell thinks.  I'm going to go and see if she's involved at all and come back.

Okay yeah, I doubt she's contributing.  This series feels NOTHING like her book. I know her book was released in 1997 or something, but still.  There IS a timelessness to that book.  A lot of that stuff is still relatable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Just_Like_That...

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

If books were dead there would be no more NYTimes bestseller's list, no more Oprah book club, no more reese bookclub, no more "book clubs."  And whether they are physically picking up a book or reading on a tablet, "Books are dead" doesn't imply that reading is dead.  

Not to mention, as a woman in her mid-40s, approaching 50, there's a whole world being a woman in your 50s that really covered in the media.  We're sort of left searching for it on our own - Carrie's niche could evolve as she aged, I don't get why we have this round peg square hole podcast that is supposed to be "shocking and edgy" and instead sounds like a game of "I Never" where people are trying to outdo everyone and you know half of is bullshit anyway.  Don't like Che, don't like the other one on the podcast, and don't like Carrie on the podcast.  Podcast is NOT the new writing.  I'm personally victimized by this stupid podcast and Regina George.  

Che's standup wasn't funny either, then I thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be and I just assumed it was a comedy special?  It seems more like this "rah rah pep talk" special than a standup comedy special?  

Damn. That is really insightful. Thank you for articulating it. 

You are welcome.  I read it not soon after my mother died, and honestly it's the only thing that has made sense.  At least in my experience, I don't want to speak for others.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Che's standup wasn't funny either, then I thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be and I just assumed it was a comedy special?  It seems more like this "rah rah pep talk" special than a standup comedy special?  

I watched a lot of comedy specials during the pandemic and IMO the style they were going for was very reminiscent of Tig Notaro , Daniel Sloss, and Hannah Gadsby.  All their specials I laughed and cried through.   I found Che’s snippet to be funny and poignant.  I guess I’m a huge unpopular opinion but I like the episodes so far.  I definitely don’t feel like they are too woke.  People grow up.  Attitudes change.  Obviously your miles may vary.

• Love 5

I thought Hannah Gadsby's special "Nanette" was absolutely brilliant!  I don't however think Che's special was anywhere near the level of that.  I agree, the writers probably think they're "going" for that, but they failed spectacularly.  

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I never claimed books were dead.  I claimed the exact opposite.

I wasn't referring to your post, more about carrie saying something along those lines in the show.  I was agreeing with the convo here.

• Love 2

You all covered most of my thoughts.

I'm all for more representation for POC and LGBT, but not at the expense of the main characters and their stories. 

I agree that for someone who mourned breakups like deaths, Carrie is a very chipper grieving lady. I wonder if that's because SATC is supposed to be a feel good show and they don't want us to cry each episode? I did enjoy this episode because it had a lighter tone. 

Brady and his GF are way too comfortable. Good grief. There's purity culture, and there's THAT. 

I also thought maybe Big and Natasha had a child. 

Natasha is still gorgeous. Drop dead gorgeous. 

I also recall Charlotte being the most disappointed in Carrie when she had the affair, so her saying it was like Natasha cheated had me like WHAT?!

I agree that while Big is the one who cheated and was the most messy, that doesn't mean Carrie was innocent. She knowingly had an affair with a married man. She wasn't a naive woman who had no idea the man she was seeing was taken. 

Charlotte is looking more like the Charlotte we know. I can understand her being confused about what Rose said. I feel like any loving mother would just want to say all the right things. Hopefully she chills on wanting her to be a mini me. Charlotte can be traditional and care a lot about things looking a certain way, but she does have a big heart. I think she would be supportive if one of her kids were nonbinary. 

Team Harry as far as him having the right to do his business in his own bathroom. Chat on the phone somewhere else Charlotte. 

I wish Stanford had better writing. I will miss him when he's gone. 

While I'm enjoying the show, I still miss Samantha. It hasn't gotten to the point where I forget about her absence. Not sure if we'll get there, but I guess I'll have to get used it. I still choose to believe she's no longer part of the group because Carrie was a selfish asshole. We'll never know the behind the scenes of SJP and Kim, but all know our heroine was VERY flawed and Samantha was a loving friend.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm hoping that when Carrie moves back to her apartment, she realizes writing is her true talent, and quits that stupid podcast. She could write about being a relatively young widow and navigating the world newly single, getting back into dating, etc. 

There is a lot of story to be told about a single or widowed 50something woman dating.  Dating in your 50s is not the same as dating in your 20s or 30s.  You have changed and dating has changed. I don't have faith these writers are up to the task of handling it in a funny or entertaining way.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What did she say?

She did say something in ep 1 during the lame explanation of Samantha's absence, to the effect of books or the book world being different today than what they used to be (I don't recall the exact wording)...and thus she no longer needed her essentially free publicist...hence why the very successful Samantha moved to another country and stopped speaking to everyone. Yep, it's as ludicrous as I type it as it was when I heard it. 

Edited by Jillybean
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

You all covered most of my thoughts.

I'm all for more representation for POC and LGBT, but not at the expense of the main characters and their stories. 

I agree that for someone who mourned breakups like deaths, Carrie is a very chipper grieving lady. I wonder if that's because SATC is supposed to be a feel good show and they don't want us to cry each episode? I did enjoy this episode because it had a lighter tone. 

Brady and his GF are way too comfortable. Good grief. There's purity culture, and there's THAT. 

I also thought maybe Big and Natasha had a child. 

Natasha is still gorgeous. Drop dead gorgeous. 

I also recall Charlotte being the most disappointed in Carrie when she had the affair, so her saying it was like Natasha cheated had me like WHAT?!

I agree that while Big is the one who cheated and was the most messy, but that doesn't mean Carrie was innocent. She knowingly had an affair with a married man. She wasn't a naive woman who had no idea the man she was seeing was taken. 

Charlotte is looking more like the Charlotte we know. I can understand her being confused about what Rose said. I feel like any loving mother would just want to say all the right things. Hopefully she chills on wanting her to be a mini me. Charlotte can be traditional and care a lot about things looking a certain way, but she does have a big heart. I think she would be supportive if one of her kids were nonbinary. 

Team Harry as far as him having the right to do his business in his own bathroom. Chat on the phone somewhere else Charlotte. 

I wish Stanford had better writing. I will miss him when he's gone. 

While I'm enjoying the show, I still miss Samantha. It hasn't gotten to the point where I forget about her absence. Not sure if we'll get there, but I guess I'll have to get used it. I still choose to believe she's no longer part of the group because Carrie was a selfish asshole. We'll never know the behind the scenes of SJP and Kim, but all know our heroine was VERY flawed and Samantha was a loving friend.

Lily is already Charlotte's mini me.  She should be grateful.  

• Love 6
On 12/18/2021 at 8:23 AM, RedHawk said:

They are working overtime to make it clear these people are OLD. Not that most of us consider mid 50s to be "old" (I call it "middle middle age") but the show sure thinks they are.

Agree.  The showrunners have to know that their true blue fans of SATC are hitting similar ages.  I find it kind of insulting, not just to these [still] active, vital characters but to their fans as well.  😢

• Love 10
On 12/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, RedHawk said:

And speaking of being old and getting called out by your kids for smelling like weed, I did notice that at Che's show Charlotte called it "pot". I have realized that no one except old people like me (55 and up) call it that now. For years now it's almost universally been called "weed" and although I still think "pot" I correct myself before I say it. So they got that right, that time marches on and your slang goes tellingly out of date.

I'm 34, been using thc products since I was 14 (though strictly edibles since COVID), and I call it marijuana. My dad and father in law call it dope, which my husband says only means meth these days (my mom calls it 'your agricultural recreation').

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2021 at 9:04 AM, Yeah No said:

I think it should feel like it's happening organically or it is just too much for the audience to believe or want.  In this case it feels like it's being done as a grand gesture to show the audience how progressive the producers and writers have become, when in reality it only shows how guilt ridden and full of shit they are. 

I agree.  I was all in favor of them being more inclusive, especially since the show is based in NY, but the ham-fisted way they're doing it just turns me off to the newbies.  Especially Che, whose personality seems to be "non binary" and not much else.  That's why the character feels so forced, imo.

But look at Charlotte's friend Lisa.  I thought she would be portrayed as a shallow upper West side mother, but I liked what they did with her character.  It was pretty funny watching Lisa spend the recital either avoiding the evil eye of her mother in law,  (a piano virtuoso) or cringing at her son's performance.  And Lisa and her husband even had some of Miranda's contraband wine to de-stress.  So they fleshed out her character a little, even in the short time that we saw her.   Why not do that with Che?

• Love 6

What seems bizarre to me is how freaking awkward the show is about gay and non-binary people and POC. Maybe I've somehow managed to live in a special world, but I've had gay and lesbian (and probably other) and POC co-workers and friends since the late 80s, and the only reason it wasn't earlier was because I was a SAHM with no money for a social life for several years before that. It was just never a big deal. And I live in the boring, mostly conservative Midwest in a fairly hick state! And even much earlier, at the start of my adult life around 1970, there were friends, some open and some not, but who the rest of us let them take the lead on their sexuality and how open they wanted to be and it was not an uncomfortable situation for anyone - if anything, we were happy to be the buffer between them and the assholes of the world. Kind of "Don't ask, don't tell" years before that was a thing. And I worked with and hung out with people of all ethnicities (okay, military for this time period, so a slightly different environment). But this show, with any non-straight or non-white character, seems to be in a constant state of "My stars! A homosexual!" or "My stars! A Negro!" ™Blast From the Past. It feels like a throwback to several decades ago.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You guys have great suggestions.  It would be more fitting in her character, and even 2021 ish, for us to see scenes of her recording her books as audiobooks.  Books aren't dead yet!  There are Kindles and all that.  Or, she could be doing her column as a podcast where it's JUST her.  Why is she a guest on a podcast?  She's been a New York Star writer for how many decades?  Isn't she enough of a voice to have her own show?  She could do that "I couldn't help but wonder" bullshit on a podcast show and have people call in for advice.  Anyways, the writers are trying way too hard and it's just not feeling right.  They never felt this desperate in the early years of SATC.

I wonder what Candace Bushnell thinks.  I'm going to go and see if she's involved at all and come back.

Okay yeah, I doubt she's contributing.  This series feels NOTHING like her book. I know her book was released in 1997 or something, but still.  There IS a timelessness to that book.  A lot of that stuff is still relatable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Just_Like_That...

I love Candace’s books. I’ve always loved her writing. When they announced the show was coming back part me had hoped they’d take a cue from Candace’s most recent book “Is there still sex in the city?” Where she documents relationships from an older perspective, the relationships going on around her. Remember when Carrie did that? 

But I’m with you on the way new media could’ve been handled. I said here or maybe in another thread that I could see Carrie moving more to fashion writing writing, an online advice column, audiobooks or even as we saw in S3, having her writing optioned for a series or movie. A funny plot line could be all the 90’s nostalgia going on now. 

I’m not sure Candace would ever bite the hand but I’ve always been very vocal about the changes MPK and SJP made to “Carrie” over the years. 

• Love 3
On 12/17/2021 at 3:16 PM, funnygirl said:

Which reminds me, what audience snaps at a supposed comedy show? This isn't poetry slam. 

I was surprised at the snapping. I was in a treatment facility for depression and anxiety. We snapped instead of clapping because a lot of people had PTSD and issues with loud noise. I didn’t expect to see it on this show. 

Shallow of me (but how perfect for this show), but SJP/Carrie is a perfect 55 - she looks 35 from the back and 75 from the front. And from the front, that long hair says "hag."

It looks like a wig, a good one, and it’s pretty. However I don’t think it’s flattering to SJP. She has a long, thin face and the really long hair makes her face look even longer IMO. I think she’d look cute with a long, wavy bob with lots of volume that framed her face and maybe side swept bangs.

I call it pot. My 86-year old father refers to it as “grass”

I also call it pot because that was the term most used when I was growing up, but I realize I have aged out of what is hip now. Most of the younger people I know call it weed. 

This is how I know I’m old. My sayings are out of date. I still say “cool” too. Ack!

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, EllenB said:

What seems bizarre to me is how freaking awkward the show is about gay and non-binary people and POC. Maybe I've somehow managed to live in a special world, but I've had gay and lesbian (and probably other) and POC co-workers and friends since the late 80s, and the only reason it wasn't earlier was because I was a SAHM with no money for a social life for several years before that. It was just never a big deal. And I live in the boring, mostly conservative Midwest in a fairly hick state! And even much earlier, at the start of my adult life around 1970, there were friends, some open and some not, but who the rest of us let them take the lead on their sexuality and how open they wanted to be and it was not an uncomfortable situation for anyone - if anything, we were happy to be the buffer between them and the assholes of the world. Kind of "Don't ask, don't tell" years before that was a thing. And I worked with and hung out with people of all ethnicities (okay, military for this time period, so a slightly different environment). But this show, with any non-straight or non-white character, seems to be in a constant state of "My stars! A homosexual!" or "My stars! A Negro!" ™Blast From the Past. It feels like a throwback to several decades ago.

I think a certain segment of society tends to keep to themselves when it comes to social friends.  My high school was pretty much white (a mix of different ethnic/cultural groups and not (mostly) exclusively WASP) and Asian (predominantly Hong Kong Chinese) and the kids rarely mixed.  Language (and whether they were day girls or boarders) may have played a role, but not all of the kids from Hong Kong directly, so we can’t blame it on the English thing. This was in the 90s.  Things haven’t changed that much even 20-something years later.  Outside of maybe work and mom/parent groups, people tend to keep similar friendships.  

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

This is how I know I’m old. My sayings are out of date. I still say “cool” too. Ack!

Cool will always be cool. Groovy or rad are dated.  

2 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I’m not sure Candace would ever bite the hand but I’ve always been very vocal about the changes MPK and SJP made to “Carrie” over the years. 

They could have had Carrie grow up to be Candace. Carrie could have continued writing books.  Her books could have been optioned again. This time without Matthew McConaughey.  But nope they didn't do that.  I think the writers are going for things coming full circle but it's coming across as regressing.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:
2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Cool will always be cool. Groovy or rad are dated.  

Now wait one gosh-darned minute, Sweet-Tea!  I am a 57 year old AA female and I still say 'groovy', and I say it with pride!

(Looks down)....I also say 'gee', 'golly', 'gosh' and 'cool beans'.

But I'm the coolest motherfucka I know, really I am!

(Struts out defiant)

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Now wait one gosh-darned minute, Sweet-Tea!  I am a 57 year old AA female and I still say 'groovy', and I say it with pride!

(Struts out defiant)

It was I who said groovy was outdated.   At 53 I'm right behind you. So my apologies.  But when I hear the word groovy I picture tie dye clothes with a CCR song playing.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

It was I who said groovy was outdated.   At 53 I'm right behind you. So my apologies.  But when I hear the word groovy I picture tie dye clothes with a CCR song playing.  

Oh...my apologies, Sweet-Tea!

(Gives IfIonlyknew peace sign)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Groovy reminds me of the Brady Bunch. I don't even know if I heard the word on that show, but it reminds me of it!

4 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

(Struts out defiant)

I'm in my 30s and use all the other words/expressions mentioned above other than groovy.

This is my personal millennial translation though. I often use those words to be polite. 

Gee in place of damn

Good gosh in place of wth 

Golly in place of wtf. (Golly tends to be a gholleey!, so it's stronger than gosh.)

I'll say cool beans just to change it up from cool. 

Maybe I'll start saying groovy for the heck if it. 

Anyhow, I'll stop there. We probably need to take it to the small talk forum!

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 4
10 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I was surprised at the snapping. I was in a treatment facility for depression and anxiety. We snapped instead of clapping because a lot of people had PTSD and issues with loud noise. I didn’t expect to see it on this show. 

It looks like a wig, a good one, and it’s pretty. However I don’t think it’s flattering to SJP. She has a long, thin face and the really long hair makes her face look even longer IMO. I think shed look cute with a long, wavy bob with lots of volume that framed her face and maybe side swept bangs.

I also call it pot because that was the term most used when I was growing up, but I realize I have aged out of what is hip now. Most of the younger people I know call it weed. 

What is the current word for "cool?"

10 hours ago, PRgal said:

I think a certain segment of society tends to keep to themselves when it comes to social friends.  My high school was pretty much white (a mix of different ethnic/cultural groups and not (mostly) exclusively WASP) and Asian (predominantly Hong Kong Chinese) and the kids rarely mixed.  Language (and whether they were day girls or boarders) may have played a role, but not all of the kids from Hong Kong directly, so we can’t blame it on the English thing. This was in the 90s.  Things haven’t changed that much even 20-something years later.  Outside of maybe work and mom/parent groups, people tend to keep similar friendships.  

I work at an enormous corporation and, while everyone gets along and there are mixed groups of friends,  the vast majority of groups you see roaming in the halls are divided by sex and ethnicity.  I've always found it strange, but it's undeniable. 

7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

The only place I've heard the word groovy used unironically was on The Brady Bunch, even in the 70's.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Oh...my apologies, Sweet-Tea!

(Gives IfIonlyknew peace sign)

No worries. We are the same age. I sometimes say “neat” too, which has never been cool. Ha!

I’ve heard “dope” used in a similar way to cool. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2021 at 6:10 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I’m surprised Carrie didn’t dig up John’s body to cut off his thumb to access the cell phone’s Touch ID.

That would have been impossible, since John was cremated.  

I wonder why the writers forgot all about Marcus.  During the series, Charlotte tried to fix up Stanford and Anthony, and while Stanford appeared to be attracted to Anthony, Anthony told Charlotte that he could do better, and he even asked her if she had fixed the two of them up just because both of them were gay.  Charlotte said yes.  Stanford and Marcus eventually got together, which made Anthony very jealous, and he tried to break them up.  The second movie showed Stanford and Anthony getting married, but nothing was said about Marcus.

For some reason, when Rose said that she never felt like a girl, I did not think that she was nonbinary.  I thought that maybe she felt that she was a boy in a girl's body.

3 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

No worries. We are the same age. I sometimes say “neat” too, which has never been cool. Ha!

I’ve heard “dope” used in a similar way to cool. 

Taking this convo back to SATC, I'm kind of a Charlotte in that I'm feminine, like pearls and dresses. Even though I'm not that old, I've always felt awkward using slang. It just doesn't sound right coming from me. Dope, lit, on fleek, none of it. I either feel like the words must be outdated slang or slang for teens and 20-somethings. I'll stick to speaking normally and maybe curse now and then if I feel an urge to be cool or edgy or GROOVY. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Taking this convo back to SATC, I'm kind of a Charlotte in that I'm feminine, like pearls and dresses. Even though I'm not that old, I've always felt awkward using slang. It just doesn't sound right coming from me. Dope, lit, on fleek, none of it. I either feel like the words must be outdated slang or slang for teens and 20-somethings. I'll stick to speaking normally and maybe curse now and then if I feel an urge to be cool or edgy or GROOVY. 

Same here.  And I’d feel so uncomfortable at a show like Che’s.  I might even want to walk out,  but would feel guilty because I’d be worried people would see me as this prude lady or transphobic.  Even though it’s because their show sucked.  

• Love 3
On 12/24/2021 at 6:37 AM, PRgal said:

Same here.  And I’d feel so uncomfortable at a show like Che’s.  I might even want to walk out,  but would feel guilty because I’d be worried people would see me as this prude lady or transphobic.  Even though it’s because their show sucked.  

Funny is funny and when it is not funny it matters not who(m?) is telling the jokes, comedy is subjective.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I don't like Che. I'm sorry, I just don't.

I'm transgender.   I don't like Che either.  I don't find Che edgy or amusing or insightful.  Che is a boorish loudmouth who uses raunchy rhetoric to get attention, possibly due to a severe deficit of having anything truly enlightening to say.   After almost five minutes of Che's intolerable and unfunny cringe show, I fast forwarded through the rest of the scene wondering what in the world induced the showrunners to totally destroy the pace of what was otherwise an okay episode (not to mention undermine years of character development in the case of Miranda).

I often worry that wokeness as embodied by in-your-face characters like Che does more harm than good by hardening and validating -- rather than eroding -- biases against people who fall outside the mainstream.  Even I don't want to listen to Che's crap, and I'm LGBT.

I couldn't help but scoff when the writers imagined Che's wokefest as a "Netflix comedy special."   I recently canceled my Netflix subscription after 10 years, on account of another actual Netflix comedy special.

Edited by millennium
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12
On 12/20/2021 at 12:35 AM, ivygirl said:

I couldn’t help but wonder (heh) if the door-smacking that Stanford endured was some way of demonstrating that he really wasn’t supposed to be there. That either he shouldn’t be there because he doesn’t fit as THE fourth and/or b) that if there was a fourth, it should have been Samantha. Like the fourth person was paying penance for not being Samantha.  I don’t mean Stanford should not have been there in the sense that he shouldn’t have come—he was invited—but in the sense that Stanford As Fourth was just Not What Was Supposed to Be, so we will smack the viewer over their head with this via a constant smack of a door (paired with Stanford’s uncharacteristic rudeness).

Nice!

• Love 1
On 12/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Big was hard to get and Aidan was easy to get!  Carrie can't do anything that's easy!

Miranda's sister, Charlotte's brother.  It's long been a complaint of mine that we know so much about the men on this show (ALL of Trey's fucking family, ALL of Steve's family, we briefly see Aidan's parents, we know Big's mom, and now his brother, and BOTH of his ex-wives, Stanford's Grandmother) but we don't even know a fraction of that when it comes to the main 4 women.  So frustrating.

It's like the show wants everyone to pretend that the main 4 women don't have family while we have to tolerate meeting everyone in the family of every secondary character.

There was one episode where Charlotte's brother comes to see Charlotte because he was divorcing his wife and ends up sleeping with Samantha.     Other than that, I can't think of any other time the main 4 had a family member introduced.

3 minutes ago, Meedis said:

There was one episode where Charlotte's brother comes to see Charlotte because he was divorcing his wife and ends up sleeping with Samantha.     Other than that, I can't think of any other time the main 4 had a family member introduced.

Lol, that's why I said "Charlotte's brother" in the post you quoted.  I also said Miranda's sister.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have no feelings toward Che. I figured they were a friend of one of the show runners and they gave them a shot. They are fine as a foil for Carrie for the minute or two of the podcast.

What Che isn't is funny. Their routine sounded more like a Ted Talk than a comedy set.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2021 at 10:59 AM, RedHawk said:

I've seen it as a good and healthy thing that Carrie kept her apartment. She can use it as her "office" to go write and she can let her friends use it when they need an escape space. But also, she almost lost it (her home) before when she had to buy it back from Aiden. Her marriage is very financially lopsided -- Big has FAR more money. He bought their penthouse, she put down nothing, and likely has paid none of the bills for decorating, upkeep, taxes, etc. So it make sense that she needs to and should own something substantial of her own that he can never take in a divorce. You can be 100% devoted to your marriage and still make good financial decisions to protect yourself in case it doesn't work out. She's also dumb (and Carrie is so very financially dumb) if she didn't get a prenup that spelled out what she would get in case of divorce. Big has a poor track record in marriage.

You can get a prenup when you bring absolutely nothing to the table?  

• Love 1
On 12/18/2021 at 1:32 PM, Hana Chan said:

I don't know of a single man of Big's wealth that didn't have a pre-nup. Especially when there is such a huge financial disparity between him and his spouse. I have no doubt that Carrie got a very generous inheritance, but it's not going to be unlimited funds.

I'm going to have to disagree on this. It is none of Carrie's business that Big decided to throw his ex a pittance (by his standards). And it's not her money being gifted to Natasha. I can understand Carrie wanting to speak to Natasha, but she had no right to stalk the woman after Natasha made it clear that she did not want to talk to Carrie and force the confrontation. Especially after how their last interaction went down.

That Natasha didn't tell Carrie to go fuck herself speaks a lot more about Natasha as a person than Carrie. Carrie sought out Big after Big was married, had an affair with him, cheated on her own partner and had a hand in destroying Natasha's marriage (not to mention causing Natasha to break her front teeth). Carrie didn't sleep with a man that she didn't know was married - she chased after one. 

Natasha has her life together and clearly didn't need Big's apology inheritance. It's nice that Big had enough of a conscience to remember that he'd screwed his ex-wife over badly and wanted to make up for it in some small way. That was his business. Not Carrie's. 

More of Carrie's obnoxious, self-centered, it's all about me behavior.  God, I can't stand her.  I actually liked that her "Russian lover" didn't fawn over her or indulge all of her drama.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, TaurusRose said:

Sure.  As long as your fiancé agrees, why not?  It just might not be advantageous to her - she might do better under existing divorce law than trying to save her assets from him than the other way around.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Trillian said:

Sure.  As long as your fiancé agrees, why not?  It just might not be advantageous to her - she might do better under existing divorce law than trying to save her assets from him than the other way around.

But what assets did she have? Her shoes? Her wardrobe? Her apartment? Big didn’t need anything from her financially. She was the one who gained coming into that marriage.  That’s why marriage was initially entertained; he was buying the penthouse and she was legally a guest.

• Love 1

Prenuptials don't require that both partners have money/assets. A lot of prenuptials are about one partner having money/assets and what the other partner will get of those if they divorce. We saw this in the original when Charlotte was required to sign a prenuptial in order to marry wealthy Trey. She negotiated and got it into the prenuptial that she would receive one million dollars in a divorce.

Both Carrie and Big would certainly have been advised to get a prenuptial when they married, which would protect each of them for different reasons.

• Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 12:15 AM, TaurusRose said:

Yes. Anyone can get a prenup and can negotiate almost anything that’s legal (outside of child support).

I am sure Carrie and Big did get one- or at least I am assuming Big wasn’t a damn idiot and made sure they had one (especially since he had been divorced twice before and knew how much it would cost him), and Carrie would want one so that she could be sure her lifestyle would stay the same if Big decided to leave her one day………Or he would have to pay out extra if he got caught cheating (that’s common). 

• Love 1