Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hello It's Me

• Start Topic

On 12/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, ifionlyknew said:

In Candace Bushnell's recent novel "Is There Still Sex in the City" the lead character is a woman Carrie's age who suddenly finds herself single and it's about how her and her friends navigate their 50s.  If the show wanted to have Carrie be single they should have whatever caused her to be single (widowhood or divorce) happen before the show started.  This series is I think 8 (?) episodes. Not a lot of time to deal with Carrie's grief and hopefully have her able to move on.  I will continue to watch but I don't have high hopes it will be enjoyable.  

I think MPK wants the show to be what he wants it to be. Not what the audience wants or even what would be a natural evolution of the characters.

Yes. I agree! You know what this reminds me of? I loved the Bridget Jones Diary books, the first 2…. The third one when Mark is dead and she has two kids and never gets her happy years?! I said I don’t know how many curse words…. Threw the book in the trash and said I would rewrite my own ending. Bridget deserved (and we deserved to see) the happy years! Just like Carrie and Big. 

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I had to Google Nicole Ari Parker to check her age. I totally thought they cheated and cast someone a lot younger to play the character. She looks amazing!!!!

She's gorgeous, and so is that hunky husband of hers. 

• Love 9

On 12/12/2021 at 10:15 AM, mansonlamps said:

IMO, I think no one in that age bracket should be on Che's show,  who wants to hear about a 55 year old woman's public masturbation experiences?  I say that as someone in that age group.   Frankly I found Che and her show to be the cringiest thing ever,  but I guess there is a market for oversharing your sex life to the public.  

I’m no prude, I was pretty slutty in my day, and I think public masturbation is incredibly fucked up.  It’s also illegal, and for good reason.. it’s a sex crime. It’s not ok for a man to masturbate on the subway next to me, is it now cool and sex-positive for women to do it?  

What the f has happened to the show I loved?

• Love 23

Samantha not being on the show could have so easily been handled better. Just say she had a job offer in London that she couldn't refuse. Once or twice have someone mention how they hardly hear from her because she is so busy and loving London. Easy. To bad the show chose to be petty and bring the actors personal lives into it.  As others have mentioned, they didn't think about the audience.  This reminds me of how Gilmore Girls was butchered when it was brought back for 4 episodes. 

• Love 18
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Who wore it better !!! 🤣🤣🤣

C4A34077-A84D-4E50-BD03-AAFDCAE11FD6.jpeg

I find ET's styling to be on point, and honestly, I kept forgetting that an actual extra-terrestrial was playing the part...

SJP? Not so much. She's always SJP.  In everything.

And that outfit is wearing her...😄

Edited by OldButHappy
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
On 12/13/2021 at 8:31 PM, RedHawk said:

Everything Miranda said on the surface wasn't that bad it's just that the chain within which she said things ended up sounding racist, unaware of gender pronoun preferences, etc. She was aware and kept trying to correct herself in ways that only made it all worse.

I give her a pass on having instantly known what someone's gender identity preference, you know, they, them, he or she...these days I just ask for a name, it is easier that way. Miranda could not judge by looking at someone and know what they referred to themselves as.  The rambling about the professor's hair was another thing, she just could not stop trying to make it make sense, maybe we are supposed to blame it on the breakfast wine she had prior to class.  If we were to blame the wine she certainly did not seem drunk let alone tipsy, I chalk it up to clumsy writing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jqdeco said:

This reminds me of how Gilmore Girls was butchered when it was brought back for 4 episodes. 

I did a re watch of those four episodes a couple weeks ago.  Yet another creator/writer who knew what they wanted to write and didn't care if it was true to the characters or not.  

58 minutes ago, OldButHappy said:

SJP? Not so much. She's always SJP.  In everything.

Oh yeah. At some point on SATC Carrie stopped being Carrie and became SJP.  I used to think after SATC SJP was still being Carrie in real life till I realized that Carrie had become SJP.

28 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I chalk it up to clumsy writing.

Unfortunately I think that is going to be the base level of writing for this.  Clumsy.

• Love 13

I'm not sure if I'll watch all the episodes.  The writing seems so off.  Samantha being gone is so easy to address.  Samantha had an opportunity to take her business international.   Was Carrie her only client?  Why would Samantha be embarrassed to lose Carrie's account?  Doesn't make any sense at all.  

I spent many years working at a University.  Post graduate courses have older students changing careers, young students, professional students.  All kinds of people.  Miranda wouldn't be the only middle aged student in the class.  

And, yes, public masturbation is wrong.  I've seen it in a public park (I got out of there) and once in a library (reported him to security). It was upsetting and felt like an assault.  

Edited by beagletime
punctuation
  • Love 19
On 12/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, ifionlyknew said:

If the show wanted to have Carrie be single they should have whatever caused her to be single (widowhood or divorce) happen before the show started. 

Absolutely. What a way to kill a show before it even gets going. Such a depressing way to start a series. Carrie just can’t catch a break. Granted, she was happy for 20 odd years with Big, but we didn’t get to see that, so to us we just see the miserable side of her life all the time. 

• Love 11
On 12/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, mikem said:

I also wish they hadn't had Carrie squeal twice in the first five minutes -- does any 55-ish-year-old person squeal like that?

Or even a 30-something. I always hated when she did that in the original series and even thought then she acted like a 10-year-old when she did it. Not happy it’s still in her repertoire. 

• Love 16
54 minutes ago, beagletime said:

I spent many years working at a University.  Post graduate courses have older students changing careers, young students, professional students.  All kinds of people.  Miranda wouldn't be the only middle aged student in the class.  

Great point.  I'm in a graduate program now and I think there were more of us "seasoned" students in each course than fresh-from undergrad youngsters.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 12/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, qtpye said:

Was Carrie her only client?  Why would Samantha be embarrassed to lose Carrie's account?  Doesn't make any sense at all.  

I always got the impression that Carrie's "celebrity" was fairly minimal and niche...she was a writer, not an actress or model.  And because she was a writer she had relationships that kept her in a certain circle.  She also said to Berger that the papparazzi knew her primarily because she had been on the party circuit for so long.  So her celebrity was not really what we think of from a true "fame" standpoint.  And in all honesty, at 50, her name on the podcast circuit was probably kind of moot.  I doubt the listeners to that podcast even knew who Carrie Bradshaw was?  

We already know that Carrie's lifestyle was particularly "enhanced" and didn't match reality for what she did, but that also means that on Samantha's client list, that somebody like Carrie, is not a make it or break it account.  Honestly, she probably wouldn't even miss it. 

• Love 11
On 12/9/2021 at 8:02 AM, Yeah No said:

I thought Miranda's misstep with her prof. was a very good depiction of the wokeness minefield out there these days.  She just kept taking out one foot and re-inserting the other.  I wouldn't have let that trip me up, but that's me.

OMG, I've just watched this scene, and I can't go on.  As an attorney, Miranda should know that you NEVER say more than you absolutely have to.  When did she go brain-dead?

• Love 15
On 12/14/2021 at 7:22 PM, heatherchandler said:

I’m no prude, I was pretty slutty in my day, and I think public masturbation is incredibly fucked up.  It’s also illegal, and for good reason.. it’s a sex crime. It’s not ok for a man to masturbate on the subway next to me, is it now cool and sex-positive for women to do it?  

What the f has happened to the show I loved?

It’s traumatizing to those who come across your path in the act. From the train to parks to even the hotel rooms I cleaned in my 20s where the creeps whole purpose was to get “caught” by housekeeping for the thrill of seeing the terror on our faces. If it’s cool and sex positive now that scares me! 
And me too! Who are these people and what happened to our show? 

• Love 11

Again, I feel like the stupid podcast (that was obviously written by people who do not know what a podcast is) was just another device to make Carrie look good in comparison.

”Look at how classy and fun Carrie is compared to these degenerates who masturbate in public.”

It also might be a set up for the handsome man behind the glass to fall in love with Carrie.

• Love 3
On 12/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, OldButHappy said:

Well, I've calmed down since watching. I'm disappointed because the pretext , "Sexy Cool Girls Aging" was so lame and patronizing. I wanted to see "Wiser Women Flexing:

-Carrie had to grow the fuck up, works in publishing, and runs a program for city kids to get into fashion school and to secure internships at magazines. Big cheated (again) so she tossed him out and kept the apartment. She makes a small fortune renting it to for fashion shoots and movies;

-Miranda said fuck it to corporate law and is now a Family Court Judge. She teaches at City College at night; She and Steve are considering being foster parents;

-Charlotte became a fundraising legend for the children's hospital. She's part of the hard-core fundraising socialite crowd and has to get real about the unspoken racism and anti-semitism that pervades the ultra-rich.

"Wiser Women Flexing" - hell yes!  

• Love 6
On 12/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, beagletime said:

On 12/15/2021 at 10:48 AM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Great point.  I'm in a graduate program now and I think there were more of us "seasoned" students in each course than fresh-from undergrad youngsters.  

Yup. Grad programs do typically have far greater diversity in age than they depicted in that scene. Heck, even some undergraduate programs do! 

So many of Miranda’s scenes were just a dumping ground of awkward and uncomfortable moments. It wasn’t even, seemingly, an exaggeration for the sake of humor. It was a 10-car pileup on the Van Wyck of cringe.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 6
On 12/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, Samsnee said:

I feel bad for fans who invested in the original series and this revival basically says two of the biggest characters are now meaningless. 

THANK YOU.  I understand that Kim left but killing off Big was always such a STUPID decision.  And I was never even a Big fan.  The show said it themselves "You're the Chrysler building".  And now they're getting rid of the fucking Chrysler building?  SJP has always been insane.  She wants the show to be called CARRIE and frankly I'm shocked that it isn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/19/2021 at 2:24 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

THANK YOU.  I understand that Kim left but killing off Big was always such a STUPID decision.  And I was never even a Big fan.  The show said it themselves "You're the Chrysler building".  And now they're getting rid of the fucking Chrysler building?  SJP has always been insane.  She wants the show to be called CARRIE and frankly I'm shocked that it isn't.

I’ve always been a SJP fan but her sometimes entitled cringe things really bug me. Everything from going past the barricade on the steps of “Carrie’s” place to do a photo shoot for her shoes seemed very entitled to now this? Ugh 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 4
On 12/9/2021 at 12:13 PM, greekmom said:

Thank you. I cringed really bad in that scene as well. 

I also cringed at the fact that Carrie still calls him Big. Really? She's been married to him for what now? 20 years!?!? You would think she would say "John wants to go to the Hamptons this weekend" instead of "Big wants to go to the Hamptons this weekend".

Super awkward the whole Miranda thing.  Out of them all, I would have thought Charlotte would put her foot in her mouth instead of Miranda. 

David Eigenberg looks like he's just phoning Steve in. But who can blame him with so little he has to work with?

Loved the fact that Rose isn't a fashionista like Charlotte. 

Exactly. My husband has a nick-name that I had called him for years, when we were just friends.  Pretty much as soon as we got involved romantically, I switched to calling him by his actual first name.  It was a hard habit to break, but I just thought it sounded silly for his girlfriend (fiance/wife) to be calling him by his nick-name regularly. MMV

On 12/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, Lebanna said:

Now they know how Crockpot felt.

Bahahahahaha!!  This is gold.  However, I do remember taking note on This is Us, that it was not Crockpot brand.  It just said "Slowcooker".  Either way, we all referred to it as The Killer Crockpot.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, cpcathy said:

Wow, that was so cringe. How many times did everyone have to announce their ages? 
I was spoiled for the end, and I thought I would hate it but I didn’t. I wonder if it would have worked better midway through the season instead of episode one. Like, more of a shock for the audience.

OMG, so much this ^^  When Miranda said "I'm a 57 year old woman, and I need to use the bathroom!"  I said aloud "How many times are we going to bring up our age in numbers???"

On 12/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, ifionlyknew said:

Come sit by me and we can talk.  I definitely don't think SJP is as nice as she wants everyone to think.

I've always thought SJP (and MPK) took any criticism of Carrie in SATC and the movies as the audience is just misunderstanding her.  Like the audience was wrong for not finding her as adorable as the writers seemed to find her.    So with this show they are having Carrie be the character everyone is supposed to have sympathy for and Miranda and Charlotte (and even Samantha offscreen) are going to do things that will make the audience think poorly of them.  

Totally agree about SJP, and about the show thinking that Carrie is so adorable, when she is actually super annoying and childish.  Even still in her 50s.

• Love 6
On 12/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well it was totally by accident,  but it turned out killing Big was the best move they could have made with that character. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, Lebanna said:

Man, Americans are such puritans about alcohol. 

Among other things...

DISCLAIMER:  I've seen all of the OG SATC episodes plus the 2 movies, but I have no desire to watch this reincarnation.  The press junkets and comments made prior to the series airing have annoyed me.  I don't think I've ever had a favorite character, but no longer having Samantha in the mix, coupled with killing off Big and the tone deafness of their diversity efforts exacerbated the laundry list of grievances I have about class, racism, entitlement, feminism, politics, and so forth in this country.  I don't want to watch a poorly made attempt to recapture what the series used to be.  IMO, they really should have thrown in the towel after the first movie.   That said, I do like reading what others think about AJLT.  From what I've seen in other forums, it's not being received well.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, violet and green said:

I found the masturbate for me, Big, scene so embarrassing I was screaming No! at the screen, and not in a fun way. Okay, it went in a different direction, but it was still all wrong. Who, after 20 years together, doesn't know the answer to that question, especially when your job was to write about sex in the city...

This is an example of lazy writing and poor research.  Carrie and Big had phone sex regularly when he was in Napa Valley.  

On 12/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, ChitChat said:

I won't be watching the show, but I'll follow it on here.

Yep.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:37 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

On a shallow side, I found KD's plastic surgery to be really distracting compared to SJP and CN who I'm sure have had some work done, but seem to be embracing their age a bit more naturally?  

IMO, KD ruined her face.  I always thought she was the prettiest of the four.  Now, she's freaking scary.  

On 12/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, heatherchandler said:

Big was an ASSHOLE to Carrie, for most of the series!  Even the wedding ended up being what he wanted in the end.  I do not understand the love for him.  I love Chris Noth, so I get that, but Big was bad for Carrie. 

I disagree.  Carrie was the asshole.  Instead of reading the man correctly and seeing their relationship for what it was, she did what she always did.  Thought only about what she wanted.  Instead of letting things happen between them organically, she pushed and prodded.  He was "the asshole" because he wouldn't do what Carrie wanted him to do.   I thought she was totally out of line when she forced a meeting with his mother at church.  He told her that was something he and his mother did. And she couldn't accept that and showed up at the church.  I would have been incredibly pissed off if I had been him and she'd been ejected from my life immediately.  And that is just one example of her forcing herself on someone who hadn't invited her in.  I liked Big because he was sophisticated, charming and easy on the eyes.   Big liked her immensely and enjoyed her company.  He told her he needed time, but she wasn't listening because as always it was ALL ABOUT CARRIE.  Big treated her well until she backed him into a corner.   And the idiot never learned.  That's why she got stood up at the altar.  A small wedding became a circus starring CARRIE.   

On 12/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, hatchetgirl said:

Totally - such a jerk.  I was bummed she treated Aiden so poorly with Big being such a dick and sure - he was fine back in the day, but a jerk all around!

Aiden did to Carrie exactly what she did to Big.  She wasn't ready to get married, but she loved the idea of having a man who wanted to marry her.  When he started pushing for a wedding date, she bolted.  So, YMMV about Aiden being a saint and Big being a jerk.  Both men gave in to her and let her have her way—a lot, difference is Big had a boundary that he wasn't willing to cross for a long time.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, ChitChat said:

I saw an interview with Chris Noth a long time ago and he defended his character (long before they got married) by saying something like Carrie knew who Big was, and she kept pushing for the relationship.   I can't remember what context this was in, or the specifics, but I think it annoyed him that Big was criticized for his Playboy ways in the beginning, when he thought that Carrie understood who he was.  

Makes sense to me.

On 12/11/2021 at 1:02 PM, Adgirl said:

I'm going to hate watch this because I miss New York.

(1) The reason I hate when people say they are colorblind is because those same people will say stupid shit like "Black Charlotte".

I hate that the characters I liked the most, I'll see the least. Samantha was always my fave. I openly wept when Carrie opened the card from the flowers. I knew they were from Samantha. I get that they didn't want to show the older folks having sex but Brady and his girlfriend were just a bit too much. Miranda was a Karen before they had a name for it. Calling the manager (my husband sent over all the liquor and if you could hurry and pour my drink), berating people in public, demanding to know what you are doing in the same space as her...own your shit. It would've been just as easy to laugh and apologize after mistaking the professor for a student. (2) Babbling about the braids is what we now call implicit bias. 

(3) Whatever Kristin Davis is doing to her lips...she needs to cut that shit out.

I hate that I see Miranda having an affair with Carrie's boss a mile away.

(1) and (2) This is racist BS and I'm through giving passes on this ignorant shit.  (3) This.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:11 PM, ChitChat said:

I found it quite depressing.  For all of Big's faults, there was still something I liked about him.  Not the cheating of course, but he could be quite charming!

Big was charming.  Carrie was also a cheater and far less charming.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, qtpye said:

Truthfully, Carrie should not start dating until she has properly grieved Big for her own emotional well-being. 

Carrie never took time-outs between break-ups.  

On 12/13/2021 at 4:57 PM, funnygirl said:

To think that tptb are reducing the backlash and bad reviews to sexism and ageism is a reach. Sure, there are trolls on Twitter with their sexist and ageist comments, but the majority of criticism and backlash is from viewers who loved the original series and justifiably aren't happy about Big's death, the pandering, and how OOC the three ladies are being. (and, yes, we're allowed to be upset that not only is there no Samantha, but how MPK chose to write her out). 

The core audience for this is rooted in nostalgia. There aren't going to be good feelings when you take large chunks of the show and characters we've loved for two decades and demolish it in service of this new one, maybe two, season revival series. 

I wish MPK and SJP stuck to the original plan which I believe was they were going to do a podcast dissecting each episode of the original series and telling behind the scenes stories, etc. (perhaps they'd even have actors on the show be special guests!) That would've been much better than what we're getting with this revival. I'd prefer Big alive and he and Carrie still together ("Me and You, Just Us Two"), Miranda and Steve going strong, as is the York-Goldenblatt family, and most importantly the true love story that is the friendship of the four ladies remaining solid as a rock. 

This would have brought me back as a viewer.

On 12/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, RedHawk said:

Once again, Carrie at 55 is still self-absorbed and blaming others. She's learned nothing. Well, we have 8 more episode to see if she grows up.

Don't hold your breath.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, RedHawk said:

Of course Carrie didn't try to sell her shoes. Why on earth would she sell her own amazing collection of designer shoes when Charlotte had a ring she could sell? Gah, I basically hate Carrie if anyone is still in doubt.

Can I sit at your table?  

On 12/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, ifionlyknew said:

Come sit by me and we can talk.  I definitely don't think SJP is as nice as she wants everyone to think.

Me either.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:50 AM, qtpye said:

Can someone explain to me why Nicole Ari Parker (who is gorgeous) is referred to as "Black Charlotte"?

She seems to have an eclectic more cutting-edge style compared to Charlotte's more traditional looks. She also seems a lot less uptight than Charlotte.

Besides being a wealthy married mother...I am not seeing many similarities. 

Because white people can't possibly look at a beautiful, accomplished, intelligent, moneyed black woman as her own unique person.  She has to be a "black" version of some white person.

Edited by TaurusRose
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
On 1/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, TaurusRose said:

Man, Americans are such puritans about alcohol.

Tell that to those of us who grew up absolutely surrounded by and forever affected negatively by alcoholism.   And there are a LOT of us.  Jesus.

• Love 8

On 1/13/2022 at 4:55 AM, bobbyjoe said:

Last week I was suggesting the show was deliberately establishing Miranda as out-of-control in a mid-life crisis and that I was giving it a chance for the show to play this out compassionately by the end of the season.  But, really, they seriously need to address the extent to how monstrous she’s becoming— and soon.  No amount of supposed self-realization can excuse the kind of behavior that we saw in this episode.  I sure hope they realize that.

I don't think they do, I think they are patting themselves on the back for how awesome they are making her.  

On 1/15/2022 at 6:58 PM, TaurusRose said:

I disagree.  Carrie was the asshole.  Instead of reading the man correctly and seeing their relationship for what it was, she did what she always did.  Thought only about what she wanted.  Instead of letting things happen between them organically, she pushed and prodded.  He was "the asshole" because he wouldn't do what Carrie wanted him to do.   I thought she was totally out of line when she forced a meeting with his mother at church.  He told her that was something he and his mother did. And she couldn't accept that and showed up at the church.  I would have been incredibly pissed off if I had been him and she'd been ejected from my life immediately.  And that is just one example of her forcing herself on someone who hadn't invited her in.  I liked Big because he was sophisticated, charming and easy on the eyes.   Big liked her immensely and enjoyed her company.  He told her he needed time, but she wasn't listening because as always it was ALL ABOUT CARRIE.  Big treated her well until she backed him into a corner.   And the idiot never learned.  That's why she got stood up at the altar.  A small wedding became a circus starring CARRIE.   

This is true.  I guess they were both assholes.  That showing up to the church to see his mom was a BS move. 

The movies and this crap show are trying to ret-con Big into something he never was on SATC.  Like, he waited to die until he had one last look at her?  Give me a break!  

• Love 2

Was a fan of the original Sex and the City so tried to watch this. First episode, they made Miranda seem like she’d never seen a black woman with braids before. Then, Carrie just watched Big die and kisses him instead of calling the Damn Ambulance?! Then, next episode is her saying ‘what do I do now?’ Miranda says they take the body and she replies “No, what do I do now?” Omg I didn’t think she could’ve gotten any more selfish and self-centered!! Can’t watch these people. Much like the Roseanne reboot-these are not the same people. 

Edited by Pi237
  • Like 2