Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hello It's Me

• Start Topic

At a long-awaited brunch, Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte discuss all the new changes in their lives, including a conspicuous absence from their circle.

Original Air Date: Dec 9, 2021

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1

OK...multitude of 'We are Old Jokes' aside....I'm all in, dammit!

The Samantha explanation was always gonna be lame.  But I guess it was the best they could do without her dying (And now we know why that wasn't the option they chose.)

SJP Killed it with the shower discover -- I became a gelatinous blob of sobbing goo.

I actually like how they are addressing Miranda and White 'wokeness' and how it's a horribly awkward mine field despite the best of intentions.

But I have to say ...I kinda like how they are addressing the continuation, and assuming logical end, for these stories.

• Love 15

That was everything and more. I can not tell you how satisfied I was with these episodes 💕

And I'm just gonna say it: the mood of the show is even better with Samantha not being there. 

• Love 5

I really, really wish they hadn't decided to kill off Big in the first episode like that.  The show was already veering more towards drama than comedy, and now I think the whole season will inevitably have a certain melancholy to it. 

I also wish they hadn't had Carrie squeal twice in the first five minutes -- does any 55-ish-year-old person squeal like that? -- but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they were going for a contrast between the pre-Big-death Carrie and the coming post-Big-death-Carrie.  No more squealing! 

I also think they threw Samantha under the bus a little bit by making her seem so petty.   For her to ice out her friends like that seems inconsistent with the character we came to know.

I think they've done a great job integrating in the new characters, though.

• Love 17

Well, that was both tough and wonderful.  Good thing I had read the spoilers beforehand or I'd be a mess right now.  I'm almost there anyway.  Also tough was seeing Willie Garson.  

I'm not one that thinks Carrie should be told by anyone who she should be and whether she should change.  I can just imagine the reception if Carrie pushed her way on that podcast person.

I thought Miranda's misstep with her prof. was a very good depiction of the wokeness minefield out there these days.  She just kept taking out one foot and re-inserting the other.  I wouldn't have let that trip me up, but that's me.

I saw one continuity error, though.  Miranda was getting out of the subway at 116th St. near Columbia Univ. but then walked into Smith's Bar, which is on 8th Avenue and 44th St. not far from Times Square.

Lily is an absolute delight.  I thought Rose was believable as Charlotte and Harry's natural daughter.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Aileen said:

I thought the twist was super obvious, especially when they started piercing together the classical music with the workout. How did Peloton sign off on this? 😳

Seriously. Like it hasn’t gotten enough bad press with all those accidents?!?

RIP Big. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 17
11 minutes ago, Zonk said:

I really don't get why he didn't call 911. His phone was right there. It's not like somebody that rich wouldn't have a water resistant phone. He was concious for like another hour and from how they coreographed it it was a heart attack and not a stroke, so...

I’m pretty sure my iPhone wouldn’t last in the shower like that. But it seemed like he wasn’t really registering anything when Carrie found him. It looked to me like he didn’t even know who she was. I assumed the heart attack affected him cognitively. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I've never had a heart attack but from what I've been told by people that have, I'd believe that he didn't have the strength to go after it.  It was just out of reach for him to manage it.  Although I don't know why they didn't show him at least trying.  Also, from what I've heard I am finding it hard to believe that one would have the presence of mind to just sit there with their eyes open and stare at their wife for 20 seconds right before they died.  What I want to know is why SHE didn't immediately call 911?  That's what I would have done.

I've never had a heart attack either, but he still had the strength to sit himself down, grab his chest dramatically, do some elaborate facial acting and sit up straight, which requires quite a few abdominal muscles, instead of keeling over. Seems like there should have been enough strength to flop himself down on the floor and reach for the phone. It wasn't far enough away for him not to reach it that way.

It just doesn't ring true. When you are dying your survival instinct kicks in and you'll try everything to get out of that situation. Also your brain will pump your body full of adrenalin, which should give you at least a few seconds.

He should have at least tried instead of sitting there all dramatically staring at the wall.

10 minutes ago, Aileen said:

I’m pretty sure my iPhone wouldn’t last in the shower like that.

If it's from the last 5 years you can dunk it under water for an hour and it will last.

10 minutes ago, Aileen said:

I assumed the heart attack affected him cognitively. 

Well sure, when she got there at least an hour later. That would have been the brain without enough oxygen for a while.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 9

I’ve heard the newer iPhones are water resistant. When my iPhone 11 ended up on the bottom of my swimming pool and I had to dive to retrieve it, in the deep end for maybe 5 minutes, I was expecting the worst, but it came out of sleep mode as if I had left it on my nightstand. I was shocked, but again maybe it depends on the model.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Zonk said:

I've never had a heart attack either, but he still had the strength to sit himself down, grab his chest dramatically, do some elaborate facial acting and sit up straight, which requires quite a few abdominal muscles, instead of keeling over. Seems like there should have been enough strength to flop himself down on the floor and reach for the phone. It wasn't far enough away for him not to reach it that way.

It just doesn't ring true. When you are dying your survival instinct kicks in and you'll try everything to get out of that situation. Also your brain will pump your body full of adrenalin, which should give you at least a few seconds.

Exactly!  It just wasn't realistic.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

What I want to know is why SHE didn't immediately call 911.  That's what I would have done.

I just presume it was a combination of panic and shock.  Those moments where you find a loved one like that are terrifying. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mikem said:

I really, really wish they hadn't decided to kill off Big in the first episode like that.  The show was already veering more towards drama than comedy, and now I think the whole season will inevitably have a certain melancholy to it.

The third movie, that Sarah Jessica Parker was really desperate to make but couldn't because of Kim Cattrall, was always going to be about Big dying and Carrie dealing with that through the support of her friends. I am happy we finally get to see that storyline play out. It's very fascinating. And the girls are more mature now it's good to let the show evolve instead of trying to recapture the magic of the original. That is why a lot of reboots fail.

The writers here understood the assignment.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I had to shut it off when it came to the Big masturbating part because I was cringing so hard. Will try to watch the rest later.

Thank you. I cringed really bad in that scene as well. 

I also cringed at the fact that Carrie still calls him Big. Really? She's been married to him for what now? 20 years!?!? You would think she would say "John wants to go to the Hamptons this weekend" instead of "Big wants to go to the Hamptons this weekend".

Super awkward the whole Miranda thing.  Out of them all, I would have thought Charlotte would put her foot in her mouth instead of Miranda. 

David Eigenberg looks like he's just phoning Steve in. But who can blame him with so little he has to work with?

Loved the fact that Rose isn't a fashionista like Charlotte. 

• Love 11

I wasn't ready for Big to die at minute 28 of the new series but I'm sure we'll get some flashbacks of their life together (since movie #2), the ups and downs, and some reveals that may shock Carrie. Knowing three high school friends who lost husbands (age ~57-60) to heart attacks in the past few years, I'm ready to watch this journey.

Glad I won't have to watch him masturbate again. Yikes, I almost had to fast forward it was so cringe-worthy. And really, was their sex life so lacking in intimacy that they never discussed it over how many years together??? I mean, from the fart in bed to this, it makes me feel like neither ever let go and were able to be themselves with each other. Carrie was always far less comfortable with sex than even Charlotte.

So Miranda is an alcoholic. That was telegraphed well. [eyeroll] I thought it was actually very like her to blurt out all those things in the classroom and then try to fix it (so badly!) on the subway platform. 

Edited by RedHawk
More thoughts
  • Love 18
56 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I had to shut it off when it came to the Big masturbating part because I was cringing so hard. Will try to watch the rest later.

Yeah, that was some massive cringe and I can usually take a lot.

Also I listen to a lot of podcasts. That just doesn't seem like something that would be done on one. It's just a different medium from radio and the whole setup seemed like a trashy radio show. Also if something doesn't work on a podcast, you can just rerecord it. It isn't live. So Che could have given their notes to Carry and then just rerecorded that part, instead of giving the notes after the recording was done.

Really seems like the writers don't know or care what a podcast is. It probably actually was a radio show in earlier drafts of the script, but then they decided that wasn't "hip" enough, so they changed it, but didn't care enough to bother actually changing the rest of the script to make it fit.

Edited by Zonk
  • Useful 2
  • Love 21
10 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

So Miranda is an alcoholic. That was telegraphed well. [eyeroll] I thought it was actually very like her to blurt out all those things in the classroom and then try to fix it (so badly!) on the subway platform. 

I honestly hadn't noticed. Now that you mention it it seems obvious, but they were drinking so much in the original show, I honestly didn't see a difference. Might be through our changing cultural perspective that it's now obvious, that that is a problem.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Bringing wine to the recital wasn't a big deal, but waiting at a bar at 10:45 in the morning until it opened at 11:00 so you could get a glass of wine suggests a bigger problem.

I personally can't stand that component of parenting culture where nobody can show up to a kid activity without alcohol in a Yeti. Most recently trick or treating and now holiday concerts/recitals. One of my close friends recently spoke about going to a sweet 16 for her stepdaughter and having wine out in the car!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I love how Lily has continued her vendetta against Big. She always was his nemesis.
Remember the Sex and The City movie when Lily was 3 years old? She was the person who answered the phone and silently hung up on Big, leading to Big and Carrie’s cancelled wedding. It’s great that she has moved on to actually getting him killed. (Sorry for those who love him, but he was so, so, so often such a bitch to Carrie).

I do love that Lily is Charlotte’s dream daughter and Rose is Harry’s, even though at first they thought it was going to be the other way around. That’s beautiful. But Brady is going to fall in love with Lily and also convert to Judaism in season three. You know it. Love finds a way.

Man, Americans are such puritans about alcohol. They are going to give Miranda a drinking problem in a couple of episodes because that’s the cultural bias and y’all are still trying to get over the 1920’s, but people, it is always 5 o’clock somewhere. If Samatha were there, she would definitely get that. Fundamentally, that’s why she had to ‘move to London’. Because the British are her soul animals. Have a pint and then stop. Have a dram and then stop. Or don’t, but if you don’t, accept your consequences and try to stay safe. It’s ok. It’s a choice. Like sex. It can go wrong but it’s not original sin.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
58 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

😏

35 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am pretty sure the writers have never listened to a podcast in their lives. It all felt very "how do you do, fellow kids?" 

This. Tennisgurl you are so right. Miranda is the exact person who would have been listening to podcasts since, what? 2003? It was Carrie who was the ‘I have to smell actual pages’ person, and even she loved her laptop. Miranda wasn’t like that until they needed her to become a fogey. She was always on her Blackberry. It was like they have all become the same age as Big, who was supposed to be the older, mature one. They’re still from the same generation they were always from. They would have all bought the original iPod when it came out. This isn’t Grace and Frankie (which is so cute, but they are in their 80s). And just about everyone who was born from at least 1940 onwards listens to the odd podcast and is all over YouTube.

And as a working environment, that podcast sucked. I like Che but, no, my gentleperson, sort yourself out. There are better ways to direct your cast. It’s called preparation. Don’t make your cast ashamed of being themselves and don’t bow down to trolls.

EDITED JUST NOW BY LEBANNA

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 18
55 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

I do love that Lily is Charlotte’s dream daughter and Rose is Harry’s, even though at first they thought it was going to be the other way around.

I was surprised the girls were sharing a room.  I would figure that Park Avenue palace would have at least three bedrooms.   I'm also trying to figure out how many thousands of dollars Charlotte must have spent for the Oscar de la Renta dresses she got her daughters for the recital.  It just seems nuts to me that Rose would need an extremely fancy dress to simply sit in the audience and watch her sister perform.   

• Love 12
3 hours ago, RedHawk said:

And really, was their sex life so lacking in intimacy that they never discussed it over how many years together???

OK....since I won't pay for the streaming service to watch this, I will keep up through the posts here. I am a little confused----did she walk in on him masturbating? Was she upset he was doing it? I used to LOVE Chris Noth back in the day but, um yeah I don't need to see that.....lol. Just curious how this scene fit in the episode....

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

OK....since I won't pay for the streaming service to watch this, I will keep up through the posts here. I am a little confused----did she walk in on him masturbating? Was she upset he was doing it? I used to LOVE Chris Noth back in the day but, um yeah I don't need to see that.....lol. Just curious how this scene fit in the episode....

She got pressured into demanding that he show her how he did it as almost a dare by her boss at a podcast and then he made it into a rather sweet joke to get her to have sex with him. It was a perfectly ok scene and in fact you never saw anything. It wasn’t even really a sex scene apart from a bit of reaching down and some groaning. It started off as supposedly a lack of intimacy and then showed how their idea of intimacy was just different from what some other people might do. Frankly there’s more about masturbation in your average Judy Blume book.

Edited by Lebanna
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

Likely you'll be able to find a synopsis somewhere a day or so after these air.

The topic of the podcast (more like a radio show, as some have mentioned) on which Carrie appeared was public masturbation. Carrie was asked if she had ever done so and where and she got embarrassed and clammed up, hence "dead air" (which you don't have on a podcast but whatever). Her boss who leads the "podcast" later told her she would need to open up more (in more colorful words) so Carrie went home and asked Big if he did and then asked him to do so as she watched.

It was sooo awkward. Really, you don't know if your husband of xx years masturbates? It's never come up? ;-)

25 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I'm not happy with Che being so pushy with Carrie, asking her to be more....raunchy.  Pushing comfort levels isn't cool.  :( 

Maybe not cool but likely realistic.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Maybe not cool but likely realistic.

True, but I would have told them there that it’s not “me.”  I know Carrie more or less said that, but they seemed very forceful, trying to get her to do something she’s not comfortable with.  Carrie still makes royalties from her book, I assume, so she’s not broke. 

• Love 12
50 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

As for parents who drink at kids things, sign me right up.  Parenting is exhausting and sometimes a parent just has to have a damn drink to get through a recital.  :)

I'll give you that. Recitals are brutal. I'm really thankful I don't have to go to them anymore because my niece and nephews are in college 😜 But stuff like trick or treating really gets my goat. I think it sets a bad precedent for kids when their parents need alcohol to get through activities. Now don't get me wrong, my dad always let us have sips of his beer, even in restaurants, in the time before they'd call the vice squad on you for doing that. But there's a difference between the dinner table and kids activities. It just bugs.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I'm not happy with Che being so pushy with Carrie, asking her to be more....raunchy.  Pushing comfort levels isn't cool.  :( 

I mean, if the podcast is meant to be explicit and raunchy about sex and sexuality, then I don't have a problem with the host telling Carrie she needs to get with the program.  Otherwise, what's the point of having her on the show?      

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, violet and green said:

People always said SATC was actually about the sex lives of gay men in New York, played by women. Michael Patrick King is now 67, and he has seemingly written a show about people his age, with the ailments and oh, we're so old! comments more suitable to mid-to-late 60s, not mid-fifties. (No menopause 'jokes' for the remaining trio now, I note.) Steve, with his hearing loss and raspy voice seems more like he's 80. All the women's voices, especially Miranda's, were so shrill - that was maybe embarrassment at having to say the lines they were given by the script.

Carrie as a writer, would have her own podcast - not this lame community radio show pretending to be a podcast. The shoeing in of every wokeism on the planet really erked. And when did Miranda turn into a twittering idiot who's never spoken to a black woman before?

LOL on the first part.  Mid-50s isn’t old.  As for Carrie, yes, she would have written her own.  She’s not all that tech literate, but you don’t need to be to record a podcast of your own.  I do mine from my own home.  

18 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I mean, if the podcast is meant to be explicit and raunchy about sex and sexuality, then I don't have a problem with the host telling Carrie she needs to get with the program.  Otherwise, what's the point of having her on the show?      

She shouldn’t have signed with them.  She’s okay with being raunchy, just not if she isn’t writing. Or having to be so spontaneous (is this supposed to be a live podcast?  I record my show a week in advance so I’d have time for a do over if necessary.  And editing.  Actually, I’m not tech literate enough to properly edit, so more of a do-over). 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, violet and green said:

People always said SATC was actually about the sex lives of gay men in New York, played by women. Michael Patrick King is now 67, and he has seemingly written a show about people his age, with the ailments and oh, we're so old! comments more suitable to mid-to-late 60s, not mid-fifties. (No menopause 'jokes' for the remaining trio now, I note.) Steve, with his hearing loss and raspy voice seems more like he's 80. All the women's voices, especially Miranda's, were so shrill - that was maybe embarrassment at having to say the lines they were given by the script.

Exactly. The "age" comments and such are not correct for the ages these people are supposed to be. And yes, are we gonna have any menopause chat? At least one of these women is still dealing with it, but hey, they're over 50 so that's done. And really, is Steve 75? Hearing loss can come early but having him act like it's because he's an old man is weird. 

It's too bad that we didn't get some stories of these women from age 48 to 52. 

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

The third movie, that Sarah Jessica Parker was really desperate to make but couldn't because of Kim Cattrall, was always going to be about Big dying and Carrie dealing with that through the support of her friends. I am happy we finally get to see that storyline play out. It's very fascinating. And the girls are more mature now it's good to let the show evolve instead of trying to recapture the magic of the original. That is why a lot of reboots fail.

The writers here understood the assignment.

IMO, this IS the third movie, extended to 5 hours and cut into 1/2 hour segments. I don't think the writers have learned anything from the failure of the SATC 2 film. Maybe they never caught on that it was a failure.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 12
31 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Steve, with his hearing loss and raspy voice seems more like he's 80.

Are we sure that isn't an actual problem the actor has, that they wrote in because they had to? When he spoke it seemed like he had trouble modulating, like he couldn't hear himself.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Are we sure that isn't an actual problem the actor has, that they wrote in because they had to? When he spoke it seemed like he had trouble modulating, like he couldn't hear himself.

Doubt it. David Eigenberg has been in the cast of Chicago Fire as a firefighter/Lieutenant since that show premiered in 2012, and is still there. So this must be a character choice or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Zonk said:

I'm not sure of anything. Just giving my impressions. He always had a cute raspy voice. Guess I am not used to old, doddery 50 year olds.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
Just now, violet and green said:

I'm not sure of anything. Just giving my impressions. He always had a cute raspy voice. Guess I am not used to old, doddery 50 year olds.

Realistically, I don't think "old, doddery 50 year olds" are all that common in NYC.  I don't know.  They aren't in my part of Toronto.  But I hang out with people who go to the gym all the time.  There are people at my gym in their 70s who're there on the regular.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Doubt it. David Eigenberg has been in the cast of Chicago Fire as a firefighter/Lieutenant since that show premiered in 2012, and is still there. So this must be a character choice or something.

Well then it's a weird choice for a man his age. It's possible in real life, but not likely.

• Love 1