Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hello It's Me

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Frankly, I don't know what this revival is going for with the majority of them, so...

I hoped it was going to be about women in their 50s who aren't "over the hill", out of touch, uninterested in sex, letting themselves go, etc. All those tired stereotypes. Hmmm...

• Love 22
34 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Well then it's a weird choice for a man his age. It's possible in real life, but not likely.

They are giving Steve this impairment for a reason. My guess is to cause communication issues and a divide between Steve and Miranda. 

Steve was so sweet with Miranda in these two episodes. David is such a good actor and I hope they'll give him a bit more to do, though I realize the husbands are like ornaments on the show. 

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Zonk said:

I really don't get why he didn't call 911. His phone was right there. It's not like somebody that rich wouldn't have a water resistant phone. He was concious for like another hour and from how they coreographed it it was a heart attack and not a stroke, so...

My dad had a heart attack during the night. The pain woke him up, but he didn't have the strength to wake up my mom or to speak.  He said all he could do is lay there until he lost consciousness. Luckily, when he came to, he was able to wake up my mom and get to the hospital.

Edited by HollyG
  • Useful 8
  • Love 5

I wonder if the director or Chris Noth spoke with someone who found a loved one in this situation after a heart attack or stroke. I felt he did a great job of acting and although I thought Carrie's reactions weren't what I would do -- he's slipping away, tell him you love him! -- I thought the scene was effective. It put me in tears even as I was criticizing her for not trying chest compressions and calling 911. SJP did a good job with her "blank" reactions at the funeral and such, the result of shock and grief. I kept wondering if Big's mother was still alive, or if he had family, and then we got his brother's eulogy. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, HollyG said:

My dad had a heart attack during the night. The pain woke him up, but he didn't have the strength to wake up my mom or to speak.  He said all he could do is lay there until he lost consciousness. Luckily, when he came to, he was able to wake up my mom and get to the hospital.

Glad your dad could get help. :)

Still that's not the same situation. The heart attack would have already gone on for a while when he woke up and he wasn't sitting up, grabbing his chest dramatically. Anybody who can do that can grab a phone.

1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

They are giving Steve this impairment for a reason. My guess is to cause communication issues and a divide between Steve and Miranda. 

How would being a bit hard of hearing be a big issue? Also from what we've seen from these two episodes I'm not sure we can conclude that these writers do anything for a reason, except for the reason that they think people in their mid 50s are in their mid 80s.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Samsnee said:

I feel bad for fans who invested in the original series and this revival basically says two of the biggest characters are now meaningless. 

And two of the biggest

Spoiler

couples/pairings.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

It put me in tears even as I was criticizing her for not trying chest compressions and calling 911. SJP did a good job with her "blank" reactions at the funeral and such, the result of shock and grief.

I won't be watching the show, but I'll follow it on here, and reading that Big dies makes me sad.  Also, WTF, Carrie?  After all of these years she couldn't find the time to go take a CPR class in case of an emergency?  And if she was on the phone with a 911 operator, they would've been instructing her on how to do chest compressions.  Nowadays they teach that chest compressions are the most effective way of keeping a person alive, even if you can't or don't want to do the rescue breaths.  Do something!!  I'm already irritated with this show and I didn't watch it!!

• Love 8

What I was hoping they'd address but didn't is menopause. They probably didn't want to go down that road because there's this delusion out there that women can only be vibrant if they're sexually active and have a strong sex drive. These women are 55+ years old. Hate to break it to Che, the inclusive and provocative podcast host, but women's sex drives decrease after menopause. For some the decrease is drastic. That scene in the studio was the perfect opportunity to address menopause but they chose not to. I feel like this is a taboo subject even among women. There's this pressure to assure other women that men still find us fuckable.

I liked this episode more than I thought I would. Big's death was spoiled a few years ago on a podcast. Chris Noth probably thought the show was dead for good so he didn't consider he'd be spoiling things when he revealed Big's fate for the 3rd movie that never happened. I'm fairly sure they killed him off because Noth didn't want to return.

I wasn't mad at how they wrote out Samantha. Carrie firing Samantha would be embarrassing for Sam. Even if she wasn't writing books she was still a media personality and needed a publicist, especially in the social media age. Carrie had a big enough presence that firing Sam would become gossip.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

• Love 14
37 minutes ago, sashayshante said:

What I was hoping they'd address but didn't is menopause.

They addressed it with Sam in the second movie, and I thought the way they did it was terrible!  She was constantly rubbing whatever hormone-based cream on her thighs, and was taking a huge amount of supplements.  It was handled like slapstick humor, not in a mature way.  Sam had already gone through breast cancer, so to have her taking so much estrogen didn't seem right to me.  Maybe that's okay, but I thought one had to be careful with the estrogen supplements after having had breast cancer.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Zonk said:

How would being a bit hard of hearing be a big issue? Also from what we've seen from these two episodes I'm not sure we can conclude that these writers do anything for a reason, except for the reason that they think people in their mid 50s are in their mid 80s.

Hearing loss can cause a big strain on relationships with ageing partners. What I don't understand is why if he has hearing aids that he is having such difficulty hearing. 

Edited to add this link: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hearing-loss-relationships_n_58b71bcfe4b019d36d10115a

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 8

4 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Hearing loss can cause a big strain on relationships with ageing partners. What I don't understand is why if he has hearing aids that he is having such difficulty hearing. 

If that minor inconvenience causes a big strain on your relationship you probably never had any hardship before.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

It isn't exactly a minor inconvenience as many, many articles on the internet explain. 

If you are actually deaf, yeah. If you can just pop in hearing aids, it is a minor inconvenience, especially if you are rich, as all the characters on this show are and can afford top of the line hearing aids that are basically invisible and have great function.

We'll see if the writers do anything substantial with his hearing loss. I kinda doubt it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Also, I feel like OG Miranda would totally listen to true crime podcasts and be deeply into it. 

Miranda would LOVE podcasts. A lot of the writing didn’t feel organic to the way the characters would speak 20yrs later. They are older they didn’t get personality transplants. 

Also- can I be Nicole Ari Parker when I grow up?? Pretty please?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sashayshante said:

What I was hoping they'd address but didn't is menopause. They probably didn't want to go down that road because there's this delusion out there that women can only be vibrant if they're sexually active and have a strong sex drive. These women are 55+ years old. Hate to break it to Che, the inclusive and provocative podcast host, but women's sex drives decrease after menopause. For some the decrease is drastic. That scene in the studio was the perfect opportunity to address menopause but they chose not to. I feel like this is a taboo subject even among women. There's this pressure to assure other women that men still find us fuckable.

I liked this episode more than I thought I would. Big's death was spoiled a few years ago on a podcast. Chris Noth probably thought the show was dead for good so he didn't consider he'd be spoiling things when he revealed Big's fate for the 3rd movie that never happened. I'm fairly sure they killed him off because Noth didn't want to return.

I wasn't mad at how they wrote out Samantha. Carrie firing Samantha would be embarrassing for Sam. Even if she wasn't writing books she was still a media personality and needed a publicist, especially in the social media age. Carrie had a big enough presence that firing Sam would become gossip.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Some women have a decrease in sex drive after menopause. It's different for every woman. Candace Bushnell was interviewed recently and said, "There are two types of post-menopausal woman: those who go sex-crazy, and those who never want to see another penis again in their lives!" Of course she was generalizing for laughs, but she is aware some women continue to want and enjoy sex as much as they did before menopause. I do wish they'd discuss that and correct a few assumptions on this show, but with the lead writer being a man and the horrible way they depicted menopausal Samantha, I don't think they'll revisit the issue.

1 hour ago, Roccos Brother said:

The show really suffers from the doing away of Carrie's narration. A lot of the dialogue felt very unnatural and exposition-y to me; it's as if the show is too self-aware and is trying to check off a list of talking points/topics that the writers think the audience wants to see being addressed. E.g. "Here's the conversation pointing out that we're all older now!" followed by the "Let's discuss what happened to Samantha!" talk.  It feels like very amateurish and clunky writing, a far cry from the original series.

And the acting seems so stilted. Several of the actors had me asking, "Are you new to this character or something?" I mean, yes, it's been years since they played these roles, but I thought it might be like riding a bicycle. Maybe it was tough to handle the stilted dialogue.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I definitely saw the Samantha conversation as a fuck you to Kim. Especially interesting was Carrie’s mention of Sam viewing her as an ATM considering Sam was more financially successful than Carrie for most of the series. It was even mentioned when Samantha started doing PR for Carrie that Carrie couldn’t afford her, but Sam offered to do it for the price of lunch and two martinis.

I saw that too. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Miranda would LOVE podcasts. A lot of the writing didn’t feel organic to the way the characters would speak 20yrs later. They are older they didn’t get personality transplants. 

Also- can I be Nicole Ari Parker when I grow up?? Pretty please?

Right?!?! Everyone feels off. I feel like Carrie wouldn't be uncomfortable talking about masterbation-she wrote a sex column for like 20 years! At the very least, she'd make a funny joke!

Samantha would never just flake on the girls and stop talk to them. NOPE. Not buying it.

Miranda went to HARVARD LAW. We are supposed to believe that she gave up her partnership? Also, Miranda wasn't so clueless and tonedeaf. 

The chemistry among everyone seemed off.

• Love 22
21 minutes ago, Zonk said:

If you are actually deaf, yeah. If you can just pop in hearing aids, it is a minor inconvenience, especially if you are rich, as all the characters on this show are and can afford top of the line hearing aids that are basically invisible and have great function.

We'll see if the writers do anything substantial with his hearing loss. I kinda doubt it.

The level of hearing loss he seems to have is serious and definitely causes communication problems, frustration and anger, etc. I've seen it in a couple of family members who began losing their hearing in their early 60s. (My uncle was wealthy and could afford the best hearing aids and eventually had an implant.) He struggled to keep up with group conversations, needed to read lips so had to be looking directly at whoever was speaking, and things like that. It requires patience on the part of the person with hearing loss and those who are trying to keep them in the loop. Not everyone can be patient and some choose to shrug off the "What? What did you say?" repeated questions. Hearing loss can be very isolating.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 22
41 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

The level of hearing loss he seems to have is serious and definitely causes communication problems, frustration and anger, etc. I've seen it in a couple of family members who began losing their hearing in their early 60s. (My uncle was wealthy and could afford the best hearing aids and eventually had an implant.) He struggled to keep up with group conversations, needed to read lips so had to be looking directly at whoever was speaking, and things like that. It requires patience on the part of the person with hearing loss and those who are trying to keep them in the loop. Not everyone can be patient and some choose to shrug off the "What? What did you say?" repeated questions. Hearing loss can be very isolating.

So your uncle was functionally deaf (severe to profound hearing loss).

Steve has 40% hearing loss in one ear and 60% in the other. That should be somewhere between mild to moderate hearing loss (it isn't absolutely clear, since hearing loss is usally measured in dB, but that is what Miranda said [even though she is supposed to be the scholarly one of the group] and it should be somewhere in those categories) and should be easily corrected with hearing aids.

Edited by Zonk

Okay, I absolutely hated the Samantha explanation.  They could have easily moved to London with assassinating her character because there's no way Samantha would have dropped Carrie over that, let alone all 3.  A simple, she moved, we have slowly lost touch but she is doing well would have been sufficient.  

And I hate that they killed Big. I hope we get flashbacks, I have no interest in a new love interest for Carrie after 6 seasons and 2 moves of Big.  After the series finale, I attended a conversation with the writers and actresses and they said "it was always Big."  That had been repeated over and over again in interviews etc.  So I hate that they did that.

I am not convinved Miranda would have acted that way in her attempts to be woke.  Charlotte?  Yes.  But Miranda who called out men for being sexist pigs towards her in boardrooms wasn't going to act that way in the classroom, was she?

And am I the only person who sat there saying "that's not the 116th street CU station, that's not MSM, etc?"  Morningside Heights has filming taking place constantly.  Law and order alone can be found filming up there any day of the week.  It is a stunning area of NYC.  If the city is your stage, why not use the right locations?  It's not like the institutions up there wouldn't allow it, they do all the time.

All that criticism aside - I am in.  Because I love this show.  And despite the attempts to correct its past through a 2021 lens, I loved how groundbreaking it was back then.  This is the show that brought funky spunk, sex swings, HIV tests, masterbation, and physical gay and lesbian relationships to the mainstream.  Did it check every box?  No of course not, and in 25 years this will also feel dated.  But it talked the way my friends and I spoke to each other as we navigate the city in our 20s and 30s.  We just did it in knockoff manolos...this episode was trying really hard and honestly it didn't need to.  But I am still in it.  

• Love 6

I hated the way they framed Samantha's exit.  It paints her as the villain when we're only hearing one side of the story.  Definitely a middle finger to Kim.  And why the hell would Charlotte say Samantha's "not with them anymore?"  After a disastrous year dealing with the pandemic, what else would Bitsy think when she heard that?  Made Charlotte seem dumber than usual.

I managed to avoid spoilers, but I figured what was going to happen to Big when they kept cutting between the bike scene and Lily's recital.  It's sad, because he and Carrie really had a journey to get to their happy ending.  I understand Carrie not immediately calling 911 when she found him.  That's the logical response, but when you're faced with a crisis like that, you just panic and can't think straight.  It happens.

However, if Big had been there for some time, then yeah, I don't get why he couldn't get his phone.  Unless he couldn't see it behind the door?  It would have been more believable if the phone was in another room or something.  Again, I'm assuming he didn't see his phone, or was in too much pain to reach any further.

Loved Lila and Rose.  Could have done without Brady.

• Love 8

I was really happy with the episode. Just really happy to see them all again navigating some new shit and some old shit.

I wasn't spoiled but the second the Todd Rundgren song came on I knew he was going to die this episode.

It just wrecked me. Wrecked. Maybe I am overwrought / tired / exhausted / holiday blues ... but I sobbed until my hands shook.

And SJP killed that whole shower sequence and everything after. IMHO.

There were definitely clunky parts, the opening was awkward and the masturbation (my eyes, my eyes) but I was pleased by the return.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, sashayshante said:

They made a mockery of menopause Samantha's storyline in one of the terrible SATC movies. Guess now they are a bit older they would be embarrassed at themselves for ok-ing that script?

• Love 7

Big was hospitalized for a heart condition on the original show nearly 20 years ago, so it's hard to believe he wasn't being closely monitored, hasn't had an angioplasty in the intervening years, and that Carrie didn't know what to do in case of an emergency. I understand the decision to have him die was made a long time ago, but it would have made much more sense if it had been from a new condition and not a pre-existing one.

33 minutes ago, BrindaWalsh said:

I am not convinved Miranda would have acted that way in her attempts to be woke.  Charlotte?  Yes.  But Miranda who called out men for being sexist pigs towards her in boardrooms wasn't going to act that way in the classroom, was she?

I agree with this; Miranda would have been the least likely of any of the main characters to put her foot in her mouth to such an extent. I understand it was an uncomfortable situation for her, but the original Miranda would have seen her law degree and decades of experience as an advantage over the young students.

Speaking of Miranda, are she, Steve, and Brady still supposed to be living in Brooklyn? It's quite a trek to Columbia from there; NYU is much closer.

Since it was mentioned that Carrie still has her old apartment, I wonder whether she'll be moving back there now that Big is gone.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Especially interesting was Carrie’s mention of Sam viewing her as an ATM considering Sam was more financially successful than Carrie for most of the series. It was even mentioned when Samantha started doing PR for Carrie that Carrie couldn’t afford her, but Sam offered to do it for the price of lunch and two martinis.

Not only that - remember that ridiculous storyline where Carrie had to suddenly buy back her apartment when she and Aidan broke up, and Samantha (and Miranda) without missing a single beat, offered to loan her money. Carrie went on to shame Charlotte into eventually lending her the money.

In fact, for most of the series, before her books became bestsellers, the big mystery has always been how did Carrie afford her extravagant lifestyle, considering the only livelihood she was shown doing was her weekly sex column in the Post that didn’t really pay much.

1 hour ago, Miss Slay said:

Miranda went to HARVARD LAW. We are supposed to believe that she gave up her partnership?

I think they addressed this towards the end of SATC 2. Miranda found her calling to do more of the altruistic, social outreach stuff, rather than her big corporate law partnership where she still wasn’t getting any respect despite being a partner already.

And yes, if anyone would be tripped up by the “woke” stuff, I think it would have been Charlotte, not Miranda. But maybe that’s the influence of her new line of work. 

I didn’t really follow everything that happened after the 3rd movie fell through, but I was aware of the Big dying storyline, and IIRC, it’s also part of the reason why Kim didn’t want to do the 3rd movie, among all other things. So while I’m aware of that storyline, I was still surprised when Big died because I didn’t think they would follow through with it.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Speaking of Miranda, are she, Steve, and Brady still supposed to be living in Brooklyn? It's quite a trek to Columbia from there; NYU is much closer.

Eh, it depends. If they were living in Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, or even Park Slope or Williamsburg (and you know she would’ve), I could see her subway commute being no longer than 35-50 minutes one way if she found a good express train.

3 hours ago, sashayshante said:

Besides the films, didn't they briefly mention it when Samantha was doing chemo?  She said that it forced her into early menopause, so she was always sweating.  When Samantha did some benefit/gala thing, she made a big show of pulling off her wig because it was making the hot flashes even worse, and her actions inspired other women in the audience to do the same.  

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Besides the films, didn't they briefly mention it when Samantha was doing chemo?  She said that it forced her into early menopause, so she was always sweating.  When Samantha did some benefit/gala thing, she made a big show of pulling off her wig because it was making the hot flashes even worse, and her actions inspired other women in the audience to do the same.  

That's right! It didn't occur to me when I saw the second movie, but does that mean they had her go through menopause twice?

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

That's right! It didn't occur to me when I saw the second movie, but does that mean they had her go through menopause twice?

I only saw parts of the second movie so I don't remember it all, but I figure they just forgot they'd already had that plot and retconned it into the movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I agree with this; Miranda would have been the least likely of any of the main characters to put her foot in her mouth to such an extent. I understand it was an uncomfortable situation for her, but the original Miranda would have seen her law degree and decades of experience as an advantage over the young students.

I assumed she was somewhat tipsy.

And Miranda's hairstyle and color are very flattering.

Carrie's stacked purses were silly looking.

When Carrie came home from the podcast and asked Big about his habits, she had long wavy hair, but the next morning when she wore her wedding shoes, her hair was significantly shorter.  Do people take out their own extensions? (I don't think she would wear clip-ons.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Cancer treatments and even some cancer fighting drugs like tamoxifen put you in to temporary menopause. So yes she had to deal with symptoms of it twice. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

That podcast scenes just highlighted that Carrie might've been the one writing about sex, but Samantha was the voice of sex on the original show. She would've had a great time with Che.
I really wish I had a Samantha in my life.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Hearing loss is not simply a matter of boosting volume back to normal levels via hearing aids.

I'm glad you posted this.  Not everybody is a candidate for hearing aids either.  I have a co-worker with significant hearing loss in one ear, and due to whatever the condition is, hearing aids won't help her.   Each situation is different.

8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I understand Carrie not immediately calling 911 when she found him.  That's the logical response, but when you're faced with a crisis like that, you just panic and can't think straight.  It happens.

Carrie, being the spouse of someone with a serious health issue, should've known how to do CPR, and at the very least known how to dial 911.   As with any chronic/serious/ongoing medical issue, one would hope that the person you live with could handle any emergency calmly, but this is Carrie we're talking about, so I don't expect much out of her.  

• Love 7
21 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I just presume it was a combination of panic and shock.  Those moments where you find a loved one like that are terrifying. 

My dad had a heart attack in front of me. He just collapsed on the ground. We first pulled him up against the wall so he sits, and I immediately called ER. They ended up reviving him on the way to hospital,but he survived.

Calling for help should be a basic instinct. For me it is

15 hours ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I definitely saw the Samantha conversation as a fuck you to Kim.  

I agree. I didn't like it.

They could have made a better explanation. Even on Grey's Anatomy they have Christina send text messages to Meredith. They could have made something like tha here

• Love 7

Oh, Kristin….she looks like Goldie Hawn in the First Wives Club when she got too much lip work.  Shame, because she was always the prettiest of the four.

Cynthia’s haircut was great but I agree with Charlotte that she should dye it back to red.

UO but I liked SATC2; the scene where Sam declares them soulmates always gets to me.  That said, as much shit as they have been through I find it hard to believe that Sam would end a friendship due to being let go as Carrie’s publicist.  Carrie and Miranda’s conversation resonated with me, as I’m still licking my wounds over the end of a 17-year friendship with someone I considered a brother/sister, and it has been ten years since we stopped speaking….I hate that it still hurts to this day.

Not impressed with Che, turn it the fuck down a notch!  And her telling Carrie to turn her pussy up (man, SJP looked beet red at having to say ‘pussy’) was crude and uncalled for.

Love Nicole Ari Parker but with her, Sara and Miranda’s teacher in the mix, it feels forced….why couldn’t we have had diversity when SATC was on?

Instead of paying god knows how much for that Oscar de la Renta dress, couldn’t Charlotte have taken Rose shopping to see what she would feel more comfortable wearing?

The Miranda we knew would have given her classmates and teacher the finger after putting her foot in her mouth.

David Eigenberg was on zaddy patrol, mmmmmmm!!  Damn though, they got Steve wearing a hearing aid now? 

I wasn’t grossed out by Big’s jerking off….what made me blush was watching the scene, it felt like walking in on your parents screwing. 

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

My dad had a heart attack in front of me. He just collapsed on the ground. We first pulled him up against the wall so he sits, and I immediately called ER. They ended up reviving him on the way to hospital,but he survived.

Calling for help should be a basic instinct. For me it is

I agree. I didn't like it.

They could have made a better explanation. Even on Grey's Anatomy they have Christina send text messages to Meredith. They could have made something like tha here

His phone slipped out of his hands.  Maybe he didn't have the strength to grab it?  

9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

His phone slipped out of his hands.  Maybe he didn't have the strength to grab it?  

Carrie should have had the instinct to call 911. My dad was also in different mental state, he looked right through us

• Love 4

This was a really mixed bag for you. On the one hand, I loved being reunited with these characters who were such a HUGE part of my 20s but while the OG series felt natural and organic, much of this seemed really forced. 

I hated the exposition on Samantha. No way would she have ghosted the whole crew because Carrie fired her as a publicist. NO. WAY. That was just a stupid plot point. Samantha had her own agency and was wildly successful - it's not as if losing Carrie as a client was going to tank her business. It's not like Carrie is J.K. Rowling or something. Also, Samantha has always been an extremely savvy business woman so the idea that she would ditch a 30+ year friendship over something so inconsequential was just silly.

The first 15-20 minutes were REALLY clunky and awkward. Correct me if I'm wrong but that wasn't Carrie's first time on the podcast, was it? Wouldn't she know what the tone and topics were? Also I would think the host/producer would vet the guests a bit more thoroughly to ensure that they were a good fit. 🤷‍♀️

Has Miranda never met a black person? Every interaction between her and the professor was cringe-worthy although I did laugh when the professor decided to board a different subway car. It all just seemed terribly out of character for Miranda. 

If my friend dragged me and a dozen other people to my kid's music recital, I would be packing an entire box of wine in my bag. 

Ah Big. I've remained unspoiled but I did see a headline the other day suggesting that "no one dies" so I was a bit taken aback. Although the foreshadowing in the episode was as subtle as an anvil. 

• Love 6

I've never gone to a friend's kid's anything. I've never even been asked to! (Thank God.) But if I did, I might sneak a flask in. A FLASK though, not an entire bottle of wine with cups! 

I do think they went in too hard on Kim/Samantha. Just say she moved to London for her career and lost touch. Totally plausible, especially seeing that the other three were married, two with kids, maybe Sam wasn't feeling that same closeness as before. But to make it that she left town because she was so angry at Carrie firing her, and never spoke to any of them again. Ridiculous! Why would Carrie even fire her? She may not be writing books or doing as much now, but they could have just revised the contract to let Sam handle the needs Carrie does have. 

I couldn't get emotionally involved in the Big dying scene cuz I was screaming in my mind "CALL 911!!!!" the whole time. I mean, he was still conscious! So she grabs him and starts rocking him and crying and I couldn't tell if she was kissing him or trying to half-assed breathe in his mouth (even though he was not lying flat). He was clearly still breathing and moving his arm a bit until the scene went black, so I was just upset that she was wasting critical time.   

• Love 11