Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hello It's Me

• Start Topic

Mixed feelings. I always had mixed feelings about this show, so i guess that's not surprising. I watched faithfully, have seen every episode a billion times, have suffered thru even the terrible 2nd movie more times than I understand. A lot of it was hate watching, for sure. But I have a lasting affection for the characters, even when they're annoying AF. 

The first scene felt really promising to me. Like they still had their groove and their chemistry. But later scenes felt kind of off, like they were still trying to remember how to play these people they used to be. 

I'm ok with the Samantha thing. I like KC fine, but I'm not an ardent fan of either her or Samantha. I don't especially miss her, tho I'd be perfectly happy if she were there. I don't mind the reason they came up with for her absence, and, in fact, didn't need there to be some dramatic reason for it. Sometimes, friends just fade away. Even ride or die ones. People change. Sometimes even BFFs you did everything with, vacationed and birthday'd and holiday'd with...just slowly slide out of each other's lives. It happens. I think it's fairly realistic. I did think it's weird that, if Sam was mad at Carrie, she cut the others off too, but that also happens. 

Anyway. Miranda's grey hair looks good, except when its that weird, half curly thing she did a few times the 1st two eps, and then she looked like a Nana. And her being SO cringey in class...omg. that was painful to watch, and out of character. I kept expecting her to tell her new professor that she once had a black boyfriend, to seem more woke. Ugh. 

And her seeming anti-technology was also weird. And I am not a podcast fan myself--i have never liked talk radio or being read to, I'd rather just read it--but I agree Miranda would be all about true crime podcasts. And Brady. Of course teenagers have sex, but for them to be banging away loudly with his parents in the next room...ok, maybe I'm a prudish American moron, but I don't really want to hear anybody I know having sex. At least pipe down a little, geesh. 

Also agree Steve being nearly deaf in his 50s seems strange. Of course that can happen at any age, but its like "oh well, he's old, so he's going deaf." Just weird. 

Charlotte's joker smile breaks my heart. I like her girls. Harry is Harry, just considerably older. 

Stanny is hard to watch cuz of Willie's death, but also because he seems kind of unlikable suddenly. I never actually bought him and Anthony as a couple so no big surprise that they are unhappy. 

Carrie, however much she could annoy me, was always kind of soft and girly, but she's become this brittle, kind of bitter seeming woman, even before what happened with Big, and it disconcerts me. 

And Big. I was spoiled for what was coming, but it was still hard to watch. I don't understand the not immediately calling 911, but I could hand wave it. The scene in the shower was well done, otherwise, and powerful, and deeply sad. I didn't expect to cry, but I did. 

I'll keep watching. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Also the excuse that the other three were married and Samantha wouldn't feel close to them- most people get married and have kids in our culture. If unpartnered/childfree people just DITCHED their closest relationships because people were married/parents we would be staring at the walls alone most of the time. So as an unpartnered childfree person I just do not buy that being a reason Samantha would ditch her friends.

I know this is a fictional show and all that, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief. I mean, I actually enjoyed the OG series because of the outlandish storylines that I know is not tethered to reality, but it was nice to fantasize that kind of lifestyle. But one particular aspect of their lifestyle that requires a huuuuuuge suspension of disbelief is the ability of ALL four women to do weekly lunches/dinners/drinks after consistently and regularly.

When they were single and dating and living alone? Sure, I get it. It's easier to keep that lifestyle when you're only thinking of yourself. But when Charlotte and Miranda starting having families and babies, I really think that part of their lifestyle was just unsustainable for them, even with vast financial and other life resources available to them. One of the more grounding scenes in the entire series was when Miranda was in a cab with her baby and carrier, getting ready to go home, while the three other women moved on to their next restaurant or bar. 

If anything, I think it would be Carrie AND Samantha who would be able to consistently keep up this lifestyle, as both are childless and in control of their professional lives - Samantha running her own PR firm and Carrie being a writer. I would imagine Charlotte can probably do a 2x a month or monthly, since the girls are grown and who knows really what she's doing now for a living.

But Miranda?! In the OG series, Miranda kept on complaining about the insane hours she's working as a lawyer for a big firm (which is true),  but then was still able to keep up with all of their weekly luncheons/dinners/bars, and even after with a baby, and being a single mom for awhile.

If anyone would have been phased out from their group (TM Rachel from Friends), I think it would have been Miranda and not Samantha.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 6

Has Miranda never met a black person? Every interaction between her and the professor was cringe-worthy although I did laugh when the professor decided to board a different subway car. It all just seemed terribly out of character for Miranda. 

Don't forget Robert!  She did more than meet him.  To quote Samantha, "you're fucking a hot black doctor and Steve has a tampon up his nose."  

Okay, I miss Samantha.

On a shallow side, I found KD's plastic surgery to be really distracting compared to SJP and CN who I'm sure have had some work done, but seem to be embracing their age a bit more naturally?  I also wasn't loving CN's style in this episode.  I thought her style evolved beautifully in show - they softened her a bit as she met Steve and became a mother.  She was always a bit more conservative, but she wore it well and it was classic for her.  Her styling now ages her.  

The elevator scene...Honestly, Che should lose her job for something like that.  

Edited by BrindaWalsh
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I hated the way they framed Samantha's exit.  It paints her as the villain when we're only hearing one side of the story.  Definitely a middle finger to Kim.  And why the hell would Charlotte say Samantha's "not with them anymore?"  After a disastrous year dealing with the pandemic, what else would Bitsy think when she heard that?  Made Charlotte seem dumber than usual.

I think that may have been a wink to fan speculation that Samantha may be killed off in the revival.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Anonymous789 said:

Anyone else convinced that the podcast producer (the good looking guy they kept cutting to as he laughed at the not-so-funny podcast jokes) is going to become a Carrie love interest? Otherwise, why keep showing him?

Yup. I got it from the first lingering shot. Why show him at all otherwise? I hope they don't have Carrie "getting over" Big within weeks (a couple of months?) and trying to date. Sheesh. Maybe the producer will become a friend, maybe he's lost someone as well and they'll connect, etc. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I'll give you that. Recitals are brutal. I'm really thankful I don't have to go to them anymore because my niece and nephews are in college 😜 But stuff like trick or treating really gets my goat. I think it sets a bad precedent for kids when their parents need alcohol to get through activities. Now don't get me wrong, my dad always let us have sips of his beer, even in restaurants, in the time before they'd call the vice squad on you for doing that. But there's a difference between the dinner table and kids activities. It just bugs.

I totally see what you mean.  I don't drink more than once or twice a month when I'll have a beer or two.  For Halloween this year, I was handing out candy and I had a can of beer behind my chair in the front yard.  LOL.  I definitely don't dig the "oooh - kids activity - TIME TO DRINK AM I RIGHT?"  That's definitely become so cliché so I think there's a happy medium, you know?  ;)

I agree with the previous poster.  There needs to be that Carrie narration.  It set the tone and let you know what you were in for, serious or silly. The whole thing is out of touch.  This should be for women in their 50's a great "oh yeah - i hate when that happens" sort of like the old show did... but nope.  nope, it's failing miserable.  

And yes on the menopause thing.  I have been through it and am now on the other side (it's freaking awesome for me but know it's not for others) and there should have been chances of "oh yeah - that sucks so bad" and chances to learn something, in a trivial way.

Edited by hatchetgirl
Add stuff
  • Love 4

Wow, that was so cringe. How many times did everyone have to announce their ages? 
I was spoiled for the end, and I thought I would hate it but I didn’t. I wonder if it would have worked better midway through the season instead of episode one. Like, more of a shock for the audience.

• Love 6

I'm glad I got spoiled on Big dying of a heart attack at home before attempting to watch ... this hits too close to home for me (a parent, in my case), so I won't be able to handle this.     

I dunno .... I only tried to watch the first movie after the series ended, and I thought the contrived drama and seriousness of parts of it was tonally off and didn't match the series.  Sounds like the revival may have the same problem.  

• Love 4

Not a great first episode. I'm not sure why Big needed to die. It seemed like they could have had the two divorce post pandemic. Far less depressing than killing off a long time character. Carrie and Big have always had a weird relationship. They have always seemed to have pretty rigid boundaries with each other. She had to ask the guy she's lived with for like 15 years if he masturbated. That doesn't seem like two people who are comfortable with each other at all. I would have totally believed it if they were divorced and that was the Carrie storyline.

Miranda and Samantha were my favorites in the TV series. So it's upsetting that they couldn't just let Samantha be her fabulous self in England. No, she has to be "embarrassed" for being fired, or some such nonsense. And Miranda, the whole alcoholic thing is just depressing. She needed a glass of wine at 10 am before going to class. Then of course she sticks her foot in her mouth. Which makes me wonder if she had too much, and it's playing into her judgement, or if she is just not up to date on what not to say. Purse wine was actually a little amusing though. I did like Christopher Jackson asking for his wife to pass the cup as his kid was attempting to play his piece.

Maybe once we get beyond the funeral stuff the show will have bit more humor.

Edited by TooMuchRealityTV
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, evansmom10 said:

OK, this feels like it was written by 23 year olds, who write what they think 50-55 year olds act like, except that it wasn't. It was written (created) by people who actually were 50, and acted by people who actually ARE in their 50's and KNOW DAMN WELL people that age don't act like that. I'm confused. 

Totally agree. Was it Darren Starr who once said, "It's a fantasy." ? Well, this is no fantasy, and it's not funny so far. If they wanted to explore these gals' lives at this stage, then maybe they have to drop the "fantasy" angle and go for dramedy. Perhaps after these first two episodes there's still time to turn it around and make it make sense, but I'm not betting on that.

• Love 7
On 12/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, Lebanna said:

I love how Lily has continued her vendetta against Big. She always was his nemesis.
Remember the Sex and The City movie when Lily was 3 years old? She was the person who answered the phone and silently hung up on Big, leading to Big and Carrie’s cancelled wedding. It’s great that she has moved on to actually getting him killed. (Sorry for those who love him, but he was so, so, so often such a bitch to Carrie).

Big was an ASSHOLE to Carrie, for most of the series!  Even the wedding ended up being what he wanted in the end.  I do not understand the love for him.  I love Chris Noth, so I get that, but Big was bad for Carrie.  Her friends all hated him, hello!

On 12/9/2021 at 4:05 PM, RedDelicious said:

I'll give you that. Recitals are brutal. I'm really thankful I don't have to go to them anymore because my niece and nephews are in college 😜 But stuff like trick or treating really gets my goat. I think it sets a bad precedent for kids when their parents need alcohol to get through activities. Now don't get me wrong, my dad always let us have sips of his beer, even in restaurants, in the time before they'd call the vice squad on you for doing that. But there's a difference between the dinner table and kids activities. It just bugs.

Trick or treating is fun because of the alcohol.  Why not drink?  My kids are with their friends, running door to door, having a blast, and I am with the other moms and some dads, and we are also having fun.  It is more fun because we are drinking.  Parents need a way to make things fun.

I do not want to watch this show, I am holding out because of the horrific way they are treating Samantha and really, Kim.  It is so gross and we all see through it.  SJP is a mean girl.  I may break down and watch an episode, but I am trying not to.  

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Big was an ASSHOLE to Carrie, for most of the series!  Even the wedding ended up being what he wanted in the end.  I do not understand the love for him.  I love Chris Noth, so I get that, but Big was bad for Carrie.  Her friends all hated him, hello!

Totally - such a jerk.  I was bummed she treated Aiden so poorly with Big being such a dick and sure - he was fine back in the day, but a jerk all around!

• Love 5

The purse wine was amusing, but it made me realize how lucky I am that I don't need alcohol to endure my family and friends.

If you literally cannot sit through an hour-long event without booze, maybe just don't go?  It's not that hard to come up with an excuse or just say you're ill.  I went to a school band concert for my nephew last night.  Was it thrilling?  No, but mine probably weren't, either, and yet people came for me.  I realize the kids on these shows are props.  But what if the kids realized the adults could only make it through because they were drinking?  That's sad to me.

I'm no teetotaler.  Having a social drink at an appropriate time and place can turn a good time into a better time.  But needing a drink just to get through an event is something else altogether.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

I was bummed she treated Aiden so poorly with Big being such a dick and sure - he was fine back in the day, but a jerk all around!

I saw an interview with Chris Noth a long time ago and he defended his character (long before they got married) by saying something like Carrie knew who Big was, and she kept pushing for the relationship.   I can't remember what context this was in, or the specifics, but I think it annoyed him that Big was criticized for his Playboy ways in the beginning, when he thought that Carrie understood who he was.   That's how I understood it!  Not that I'm defending Big and his cheating ways, but I can understand some of what Chris was saying. 

I think it's realistic that Big would have ongoing problems with his heart, but instead of killing him off,  I think it would've been realistic to see him start going on business trips out-of-state or overseas and finding someone else - given the fact that he didn't seem to stay in one place for very long.   I'd rather think of him as the jerk that left Carrie rather than as her now- deceased husband.   The whole wedding fiasco was poorly written too.  Why didn't he call any of the other ladies that day?  He could've easily reached Carrie.  I hated the way that played out. 

• Love 8
On 12/9/2021 at 9:02 AM, Yeah No said:

I saw one continuity error, though.  Miranda was getting out of the subway at 116th St. near Columbia Univ. but then walked into Smith's Bar, which is on 8th Avenue and 44th St. not far from Times Square.

Lily is an absolute delight.  I thought Rose was believable as Charlotte and Harry's natural daughter.

Yes, I caught that as well--Smith's is in Hells Kitchen!

On 12/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, funnygirl said:

Willie. 💔

Who lights up and smokes in an elevator? It's 2021 not the 1950s. 

This is no better than the movies.

Oh God, I hated that. I can't even stand when I'm walking behind someone on the sidewalk who's smoking--it's so bloody selfish because they don't get stuck breathing the smoke, you do. The rudeness of lighting up in an elevator...

18 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Besides the films, didn't they briefly mention it when Samantha was doing chemo?  She said that it forced her into early menopause, so she was always sweating.  When Samantha did some benefit/gala thing, she made a big show of pulling off her wig because it was making the hot flashes even worse, and her actions inspired other women in the audience to do the same.  

Fun fact--I was an extra in that scene, I was one of the society guests at the benefit. You can see me in several shots.

I was wildly impressed with Lily's playing. And all three of the de la Renta dresses--they were gorgeous.

Big's death was very upsetting. SJP acted the hell out of that scene. I started crying.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Trick or treating is fun because of the alcohol.  Why not drink?  My kids are with their friends, running door to door, having a blast, and I am with the other moms and some dads, and we are also having fun.  It is more fun because we are drinking.  Parents need a way to make things fun.

Well mostly because it’s generally illegal. Unless you live in Indiana.

I’m all for parents having fun, but not when it’s irresponsible.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Yes, I caught that as well--Smith's is in Hells Kitchen!

Oh God, I hated that. I can't even stand when I'm walking behind someone on the sidewalk who's smoking--it's so bloody selfish because they don't get stuck breathing the smoke, you do. The rudeness of lighting up in an elevator...

Fun fact--I was an extra in that scene, I was one of the society guests at the benefit. You can see me in several shots.

I was wildly impressed with Lily's playing. And all three of the de la Renta dresses--they were gorgeous.

Big's death was very upsetting. SJP acted the hell out of that scene. I started crying.

And it’s worse when people are smoking weed.  I live near a few cannabis stores.  I smell weed on sidewalks a lot.  

• Love 4

I presumed Steve's hearing loss could have come from loud music - working in the bar for so many years, maybe?  I couldn't recall any other mention of the bar after John Corbett left the show, though, so in their fictional NYC it may not even be still open.

I also (couldn't help but) wonder if an Alzheimer's diagnosis fror Steve might be in a future episode given what happened with his Ma and her decline.

Edited by Decider
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Amethyst said:

When Samantha did some benefit/gala thing, she made a big show of pulling off her wig because it was making the hot flashes even worse, and her actions inspired other women in the audience to do the same.  

I thought they were hot becaue they were wearing wigs. I could be mistaken. They addressed menopause in the second movie with Kim Cattrall having difficulty bringing her various meds into Dubai, IIRC.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Would love to see a screen shot or pic! What an awesome thing to have done!

26 minutes ago, Decider said:

I couldn't recall any other mention of the bar after John Corbett left the show, though, so in their fictional NYC it may not even be still open.

The bar is still open. Miranda and Steve donated the alcohol from the bar to the bar at the funeral.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Speaking of bars, they faked me out when Miranda walked into "Smith's Bar". I thought Samantha's Smith had opened a bar and she was stopping by to say hello and we'd get his update. But no, she was just having a drink at 10:45 a.m.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 10

Reboots are awkward, so I'm trying to be fair, but this episode was a lot of cringe.

For starters, I find it hard to believe a woman who's lived and worked in NYC for 30+ years would be thrown by the sight of a professional black woman with braids. I know the writers are trying to embrace the current social and cultural climate, but come on. 

Brady is an obnoxious little twit and I can't believe his parents allow his girlfriend to sleep over. Is that a thing now? I don't know anyone in high school who was allowed to bang their girlfriend/boyfriend with Mom and Dad on the other side of the wall.

Surprisingly, I didn't miss Samantha as much as I thought I would, but I freaking HATED the exposition regarding her absence. It felt like they were blatantly trashing Kim through trashing her character, and of course Carrie/SJP is made out to be the victim. Samantha had a successful firm with big name clients. Are we really supposed to believe she'd be so butt-hurt over losing Carrie's account that she'd ghost her entire social circle? I'm not buying it. When Carrie released her first book in S6, Sam did the p.r. for free. She also offered her the money for the down payment on her apartment, and stayed behind to straighten out the mess when Big ditched Carrie at the altar. It really feels like they did her dirty.

I was never a huge Big fan, and thought Carrie should've left him at "Hubble," so his death wasn't as gutting for me as it was for others.

I liked Lily and Rose, and it was good to see Harry, Steve, Stanford and Anthony. Kristen Davis' overdone fillers were such a distraction, all I could think of was Kim Kardashian's ugly cry face. 

Che I can take or leave at this point. I liked the law professor and Nicole Ari Parker. 

Hopefully the cast will get their chemistry back and future episodes won't be so clunky.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 16

Seriously... I was looking forward to this but only got through half of episode 2 and thought it was terrible.    The acting is bad, KD fillers on her face looked painful and cheap. She was so attractive so I don't understand what she was thinking.   SJP looks horrible, and quite frankly I was fast-forwarding.        I won't be watching again.  

• Love 9
On 12/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, ChitChat said:

They addressed it with Sam in the second movie, and I thought the way they did it was terrible!  She was constantly rubbing whatever hormone-based cream on her thighs, and was taking a huge amount of supplements.  It was handled like slapstick humor, not in a mature way.  Sam had already gone through breast cancer, so to have her taking so much estrogen didn't seem right to me.  Maybe that's okay, but I thought one had to be careful with the estrogen supplements after having had breast cancer.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.  

As a breast cancer survivor, this is correct, but it depends on what subtype of bc you have. Mine was HR+. This means too much estrogen, so I wouldn't use estrogen supplements.

I don't think it was ever clarified what type of breast cancer Samantha had (triple negative?). I remember that chemo was her only treatment. My treatment program involved chemo, radiation, and an aromatase inhibitor. In order for the AI to be successful, I'm in medically induced menopause.

I really enjoyed Samantha's breast cancer journey because it was portrayed pretty realistically.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, Anonymous789 said:

Anyone else convinced that the podcast producer (the good looking guy they kept cutting to as he laughed at the not-so-funny podcast jokes) is going to become a Carrie love interest? Otherwise, why keep showing him?

I feel like Miranda and Che will eventually hook up.

Similar to the path Cynthia Nixon's real love life took.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Surrealist said:

I feel like Miranda and Che will eventually hook up.

Similar to the path Cynthia Nixon's real love life took.

I hope not, as I actually like Miranda with Steve, but I suppose it is possible. I just wish, if that is the case, I liked Che. So far, the character grates (to me).

• Love 8

Random question - is Miranda coming up from the subway stairs and then walking into the bar, the very first time one of the ladies were shown taking the subway ever in the series?! It seems like they’ve always taken cabs. Which adds to the outlandish, unbelievable scenario of being able to always afford cab fares, especially in Carrie’s case. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I do think they went in too hard on Kim/Samantha. Just say she moved to London for her career and lost touch. Totally plausible, especially seeing that the other three were married, two with kids, maybe Sam wasn't feeling that same closeness as before. But to make it that she left town because she was so angry at Carrie firing her, and never spoke to any of them again. Ridiculous! Why would Carrie even fire her? She may not be writing books or doing as much now, but they could have just revised the contract to let Sam handle the needs Carrie does have. 

I couldn't get emotionally involved in the Big dying scene cuz I was screaming in my mind "CALL 911!!!!" the whole time. I mean, he was still conscious! So she grabs him and starts rocking him and crying and I couldn't tell if she was kissing him or trying to half-assed breathe in his mouth (even though he was not lying flat). He was clearly still breathing and moving his arm a bit until the scene went black, so I was just upset that she was wasting critical time.   

I agree. It was really weird that she didn't call 911. They could have had her call, then hold him, and have had him die before EMS got there. Who wouldn't call in that situation?

I wish they had written Samantha off differently, too. I'm glad they had her at least send flowers. I guess no matter what, it would always have seemed odd that Sam wasn't there for the funeral.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Random question - is Miranda coming up from the subway stairs and then walking into the bar, the very first time one of the ladies were shown taking the subway ever in the series?! It seems like they’ve always taken cabs. Which adds to the outlandish, unbelievable scenario of being able to always afford cab fares, especially in Carrie’s case. 

I think Carrie took the subway in the first movie, when she went to Miranda's on New Year's Eve. (I can't remember where I put my brush, but this I can.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

I echo so much of what was already said.

Some of the acting felt like I was watching practice in acting class, and I always thought all four women were fabulous actresses. 

I'm one of the few (maybe only) person on here who isn't super team Kim Cattrall. I just figured no proof of much. But even I was super ticked off by how they did her. Samantha was strong, intelligent, successful. She did NOT need Carrie's money. Samantha was also a very loving, supportive friend who would never dispose of her dearest friends like that. I was very disappointed how they trashed a beloved character. They could have wrote her being happy and thriving in another country and leave it at that.

Miranda's interactions with the professor were beyond cringey. Miranda was an intelligent, educated woman who dated a black man. I know we can all step in it, but Miranda would not have stepped in it to that degree, good grief. I do think the gray hair looks lovely on her. Honestly, it almost looks like a light blonde anyway.

A lot of the sex stuff was awkward to me. Since it's "And Just Like That" now, maybe just do without the sex if that's how it will be written? I'll always just say Sex & the City though. lol I did like Brady saying "don't sex shame me" because that is how a lot of the culture's become. Expecting any sort of decency and manners and you're a prude in some circles. 

I thought Charlotte had grown a lot over the years. I was disappointed she wanted both her daughters to be mini versions of her. I did really like her fashion, so I was relived after seeing so many atrocious pictures. It was really good seeing Harry. 

It was also so nice to see Steve. I also thought it was weird they were acting like Steve was in his 80s or something. I get that the characters aren't spring chicken, but they're not elderly either, geez. 

I swear I read somewhere on this board that Big wasn't going to die, so I was actually a bit surprised. I knew something tragic would occur because I was warned about tears. I was kind of in denial, like wait, I sense something is about to happen due to the music, but no! Is he alive, is he going to get help?! Will he be alive the next episode?! I was in disbelief. As much as he annoyed me throughout the series, I always enjoyed watching the character because of Chris Noth. There aren't a lot of people who have his talent and charisma. RIP Mr. Big. You will never be replaced. Trying not to cry as I type this. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I thought they were hot becaue they were wearing wigs. I could be mistaken. They addressed menopause in the second movie with Kim Cattrall having difficulty bringing her various meds into Dubai, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure she mentions in that episode during her speech that chemo has kicked her into early menopause. That's why she takes her wig off.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MissT said:

Seriously... I was looking forward to this but only got through half of episode 2 and thought it was terrible.    The acting is bad, KD fillers on her face looked painful and cheap. She was so attractive so I don't understand what she was thinking.   SJP looks horrible, and quite frankly I was fast-forwarding.        I won't be watching again.  

I'm sticking with it because I'm dying for Carrie to run into Natasha. I always wondered what happened to her, not to mention, Natasha's verbal smackdown of Carrie at the restaurant is one of my favorite tv scenes, ever. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12

Steve was acting like Uncle Lewis in Christmas Vacation! 

In general, the actors had more on-screen chemistry with their spouses than they did with each other, and it was never like that before. Miranda was ridiculous. Charlotte’s face was painful to watch (seriously, she destroyed her face) and Carrie was always prudish, and now she’s acting like an old lady on top of it.

These characters used to be aspirational, each in their own way with their lives and activities, but they’ve been reduced to a bad joke that won’t seem to end. 

That and it’s just not the same without Samantha.

Also it was weird to hear how raspy Big’s voice became. He used to have such a velvety deep voice.

• Love 8
On 12/9/2021 at 11:17 PM, chocolatine said:

Big was hospitalized for a heart condition on the original show nearly 20 years ago, so it's hard to believe he wasn't being closely monitored, hasn't had an angioplasty in the intervening years, and that Carrie didn't know what to do in case of an emergency. I understand the decision to have him die was made a long time ago, but it would have made much more sense if it had been from a new condition and not a pre-existing one.

It would have been more dramatically ironic for Big to have died from some other condition.

But a man with a long history of heart problems dying of a heart attack is hardly a surprise, or nonsensical, no matter how well diagnosed or treated his condition.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

It was also so nice to see Steve. I also thought it was weird they were acting like Steve was in his 80s or something. I get that the characters aren't spring chicken, but they're not elderly either, geez. 

The reality for a lot of people is that once they hit their 50s, things with their bodies start happening. And as someone in that age group, I can attest that there is a lot of reluctance to admit that you're not in your 20s anymore, that you wake up in the morning and something hurts and that your senses are no longer as sharp. The day I realized that I needed reading glasses in order to do basic things like read the label on a can of cat food in PetCo really came as a blow to me. Because it meant that I was now - *gasp* - middle aged.

I can totally see Steve rebelling against the idea of having a hearing aid despite really needing one because hearing aids are for old people. And getting one means that you are older than you want to acknowledge. And the 50 might be the new 30, but your body hasn't gotten that message.

And it also feeds into Big's fatal heart attack. Exercise for a man with heart disease is important, but hard exercise (like on a Pelaton) can trigger a serious reaction. There is a reason why people with medical conditions are advised to check with their doctors before starting an exercise program in order to make sure that they're not going to overdo it. A type-A personality like Big would certainly strike me as someone who would think that he could out-exercise his medical concerns because limiting himself means being sick and old.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
53 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I'm unmarried and childless and the only way I was able to hold onto my friendship with my best friend (married - now divorced - with two kids) was because we worked damned hard to spend time together. I did things with her and her kids, and she did things just the two of us alone. But as I said, that takes work and people making allowances for the demands/needs in one another's life.

Same for me, and I’ve intermittently been the odd seat at the table for 15 years, except what happened was first nobody wanted to do anything without their fiancés/husbands, then all the babies came and now they won’t ever do anything without the kids. I go along with it but I mourn my/our former life. I really, really miss going out with just girlfriends. 

I guess they always think the husbands are included because I’m friends with them too. And now when we make plans I look like the nanny at the table because it’s oh do you want to hold Zoe! Oh do you want to hold Braden! No. I really don’t (but I do it anyway, somewhat begrudgingly). I could see Samantha being that way. I can definitely see how their lives would have diverged and I don’t know why the writers couldn’t just send her to London without the negative side story. They did her wrong.

• Love 23
On 12/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, violet and green said:

People always said SATC was actually about the sex lives of gay men in New York, played by women. Michael Patrick King is now 67, and he has seemingly written a show about people his age, with the ailments and oh, we're so old! comments more suitable to mid-to-late 60s, not mid-fifties. (No menopause 'jokes' for the remaining trio now, I note.) Steve, with his hearing loss and raspy voice seems more like he's 80. All the women's voices, especially Miranda's, were so shrill - that was maybe embarrassment at having to say the lines they were given by the script.

This.  I agree, but to this 63 year old from NYC I feel like these characters are being written as older than that!  Sophisticated New Yorkers are far more with the times and act younger than is typical for their age!  My husband said Steve is being depicted as an old, frail man, and I agree.  This from a 65 year old who obviously doesn't see himself as old enough to act like that!  

This actually reminds me of the way Darren Starr treated the older cast members of his series "Younger".  Liza and Charles were still in their 40s and being written like fossils that never heard of a podcast or had a Twitter account.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, PRgal said:

Realistically, I don't think "old, doddery 50 year olds" are all that common in NYC.  I don't know.  They aren't in my part of Toronto.  But I hang out with people who go to the gym all the time.  There are people at my gym in their 70s who're there on the regular.  

No, they're not that common in NYC.  Not too many "old doddery 60 year olds" either.  I know 70 year olds that aren't even close to that too.

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I could see Samantha being that way. I can definitely see how their lives would have diverged and I don’t know why the writers couldn’t just send her to London without the negative side story. They did her wrong.

This is why I think that the whole "Samantha is mad because Carrie fired her" was total bullshit and just a convenient way to shit on Kim because she had no interest in revisiting these characters again. It's understandable that when your life changes radically that sometimes friendships that you thought were rock solid fade and fail. I've been in that situation many times, both when I've had people who I thought were friends cutting me off and times when I've had to do it to others. They could have easily written something that reflected the life changes that everyone else went through when they married and that Samantha just didn't fit in with their group anymore, It's understandable that one someone has kids that their views of a friend's sexual escapades start to get a bit more critical. That when you're up doing midnight feedings and helping your kid with their homework that you're just not interested in someone going out clubbing and her latest fling. 

And there are a lot of interest ways to tell this kind of a story without just using it as an excuse to crap on Kim. I think it would have been a lot more fascinating to have the trio recognize that they didn't treat Samantha very well once they all married and started families, being judgement and finding excuses not to spend time with her before she was the one who decided to cut ties. That would have made a lot more sense and would have allowed for some interesting self-examination on the parts of the characters staying in the show rather than just putting it all and Samantha and Kim and that the others were totally blameless in how things played out. 

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Steve was acting like Uncle Lewis in Christmas Vacation! 

They're making Steve appear unappealing/unattractive-like so that

Spoiler

we'll all cheer when Miranda leaves him for Che. 

Won't be me, though.

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 20

I'm going to hate watch this because I miss New York.

The reason I hate when people say they are colorblind is because those same people will say stupid shit like "Black Charlotte".

I hate that the characters I liked the most, I'll see the least. Samantha was always my fave. I openly wept when Carrie opened the card from the flowers. I knew they were from Samantha. I get that they didn't want to show the older folks having sex but Brady and his girlfriend were just a bit too much. Miranda was a Karen before they had a name for it. Calling the manager (my husband sent over all the liquor and if you could hurry and pour my drink), berating people in public, demanding to know what you are doing in the same space as her...own your shit. It would've been just as easy to laugh and apologize after mistaking the professor for a student. Babbling about the braids is what we now call implicit bias. 

Stanford is an even bigger asshole than he was in the 90s. The look on Brenda Vaccaro's face said it all when he made her move. Not that she should've sat upfront but there was a better way to let her know.

Whatever Kristin Davis is doing to her lips...she needs to cut that shit out.

I hate that I see Miranda having an affair with Carrie's boss a mile away.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 19
15 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

The whole thing was tons of fun, even though I hadn't watched much SATC at that point. But I was a celebrity at work after that :)

You a celebrity here too, girl! Thank you for posting that! You rock! That must have been a blast.

• Love 8