Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Hello It's Me

• Start Topic

I'll be honest...Samantha's absence has sapped the show of humor and zest.

In the original, she had the most comic relief stories.  Even her breast cancer story had a hopeful spirit to it in the original.

I have a feeling the Miranda element of foot in mouth and being confused about the current woke movement would have gone to Samantha had Kim C done this (again Kim C was smart to say no after  the disaster of the 2nd movie).

And Carrie not being so blatant and graphic with sex on the podcast makes sense.  Che seems pushy thus far and limited in their ability to think outside the box.  The podcast could be 2 differing approaches to topics...Carrie's more low key approach vs a super open style.

• Love 8

I happened to land on the SATC movie on Bravo today, and I just gotta tell you how much this makes me miss Samantha!! Girl took CHARGE of the wedding disaster and spoon-fed brat baby Carrie (ok ok, I know, she was left at the altar, my heart is not black…she just always frustrated me if you can’t tell) with that little wink. I hate that they did Sam like that. I get that the writers have to work with what they have (or don’t in this case, you can’t holograph Kim in. Or CAN you???) But the fallout friendship, as y’all have said, is just so wildly unlike Sam. She would have not only been at the funeral, but would have been there getting every last detail buttoned up. I’m going to miss her more than Big! 

PS. The commercial that just played during the movie was for an Echelon bike. IYKYK 😂

Edited by Peachyqueen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I could see Samantha being that way. I can definitely see how their lives would have diverged and I don’t know why the writers couldn’t just send her to London without the negative side story. They did her wrong.

I remember when Miranda first had Brady and in Carrie's words, she was "drowning."  Carrie told Samantha that she should at least call Miranda and check on her.  Samantha shot back with a line of something like "why should I do x.y.z.  just because somebody else had a baby?"   It would've been the decent thing to do, but I also agree with Sam in that she had her own life and shouldn't be expected to drop everything and go help with Miranda's baby.  Again, a phone call wouldn't have killed her, and in the end she gave Miranda her hair salon appt. and she babysat Brady, but I understood Samantha's point. They could've had Samantha's life take her in a new and exciting direction far away from NYC, but still be on friendly terms with the ladies (even if she's not on the show).

I guess it comes down to how things played out in real life.  Kim said that she was done with the character, and maybe SJP could've accepted that, but things got personal and maybe SJP needed to get her disappointment in with how they handled Sam's departure.  I'd love to know what really happened behind the scenes with SJP while on set.  Kim said she wasn't a nice person.  

3 hours ago, Peachyqueen said:

Girl took CHARGE of the wedding disaster and spoon-fed brat baby Carrie (ok ok, I know, she was left at the altar, my heart is not black…she just always frustrated me if you can’t tell) with that little wink.

What I hated about the movie was how Miranda was going through her own personal hell with Steve cheating on her, but all of their focus had to be on Carrie and her problems.  Yes, that was a big deal, but so was Miranda's own marriage falling apart.  "Just forgive Steve" is what they said.  I'm sure it's that easy once the trust is broken.   

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 23
29 minutes ago, Peachyqueen said:

I happened to land on the SATC movie on Bravo today, and I just gotta tell you how much this makes me miss Samantha!! Girl took CHARGE of the wedding disaster and spoon-fed brat baby Carrie (ok ok, I know, she was left at the altar, my heart is not black…she just always frustrated me if you can’t tell) with that little wink. I hate that they did Sam like that. I get that the writers have to work with what they have (or don’t in this case, you can’t holograph Kim in. Or CAN you???) But the fallout friendship, as y’all have said, is just so wildly unlike Sam. She would have not only been at the funeral, but would have been there getting every last detail buttoned up. I’m going to miss her more than Big! 

PS. The commercial that just played during the movie was for an Echelon bike. IYKYK 😂

All this! Samantha had a big heart and was an amazing friend. I actually really liked Samantha's style of friendship and support the most. Miranda could be a little rough, and Charlotte's emotions can be A LOT. And I say that as a sensitive person who's awful with death. But Samantha would have had that balance of being soft and strong at the same time. If they kept Samantha as she was, she would have been there for Carrie better than anybody.

• Love 20

Just finished watching:

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I'm so mad that I'll have to leave it to y'all to expand upon why this was the worst.reboot.ever.  I'll just say mean things now. And as Granny always told me,

"If you can't say anything nice, say nothing and go out and pick up the post-raccoon-torn-up-trash-bags-mess-in-the garage......"

OK, she didn't actually ever say that...but she would if she were still alive and saw my garage now.

And I'm choosing to pick up old chicken wings over watching any teasers or previews or upcoming episodes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Brady is an obnoxious little twit and I can't believe his parents allow his girlfriend to sleep over. Is that a thing now? I don't know anyone in high school who was allowed to bang their girlfriend/boyfriend with Mom and Dad on the other side of the wall.

I can't believe I can actually relate to anything on this show, but my high school junior and senior year boyfriend's progressive parents let us have the door closed when I was at his house, so they had to know what we were doing. I mean, come on.

My mother was the exact opposite, as I grew up in a conservative Baptist family. I've always maintained that it's safer and smarter to be open with your kids, and acknowledge that they are going to have sex. It's better for them to be doing it at home with protection (that you've had an open discussion with them about, MOM) than in a cornfield, not that I know anything about that.

Brady could be a hell of a lot more respectful and not bang the headboard. Keep it down and don't be so damn obvious about it. No one wants to hear anyone else having sex, especially your kids/parents.

There were no overnight stays when I was in high school because I am not a character in Cruel Intentions. I had a high school friend whose parents let her Marine boyfriend basically move in (to a guest room beside her room). I was floored.

Edited by bilgistic
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

I agree with all of you!

Carrie not calling 911 threw me off. She could just call, scream into the phone, and then go back to hugging Big, and it would have been more impactful. But not showing her even attempt to call was off-putting. Seconds matter!

Miranda and her ongoing foot in her mouth - Miranda was always smart and witty and sharp. If she was thrown off by the braids, I could see her catching herself with a self-deprecating joke "I expected the professor to look as old as me, like when I was in school" or fixing it part way "your hair is different than the website, but I love it! Rock on!" (still cringe, but something that can be an annoyed brush off).

Brady - I wish they had either cast or wrote him better than some weirdly horny kid. It was also weird, even in college most people weren't that loud! I admit to being a prude though, and it was really off-putting to see the screen. 

Also, I wish they wrote him so much better or cast a different actor. For example, I can see Charlotte's kids as a mixture of her and Harry, with Lilly adopting Charlotte's perfectionism and very feminine style, and Rose being more like Harry, a bit rough, easy going, and goofy.

But Brady didn't seem to get any of the charm of Steve, or any of the with of Miranda. And both parents were supposed to be smart - Steve might have been a bartender, but he was always reading a deep novel, and eventually became a businessman. Why not show a little of that in Brady?

And Samantha. Man. Re-watching the show, I can see why she wanted out. As the series progressed, she became more and more one note while the other ladies grew up. And the "firing" was ridiculous. First of all, Samantha was a talented publicist who also did Richard Wright's hotels and Steve's movies. She wasn't just "books". As others said, they could have handled this so differently, including just a natural falling out. Sadly, I lost some friends as they had kids. Suddenly, I wasn't invited to birthday parties, because I didn't have a kid to bring, and that was their main socialization (kid events). With other friends, it didn't matter, we worked it out (and I'm easy going and accommodating). Was Samantha even Carrie's publicist still at that point? Or, if it had to be, why not spread the blame. "We argued about creative differences, and that impacted our friendship. I regret it, but sometimes, it's hard to come back from that." And then, have her move to London and move on from their lives. Carrie was the glue anyway, we saw that when she went to Paris or spent all that time with Aleksandr Petrovsky.

Oh man. Guess I had a lot to get out this episode! Needed to rant!

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, nenya said:

She could just call, scream into the phone, and then go back to hugging Big, and it would have been more impactful. But not showing her even attempt to call was off-putting. Seconds matter!

I have a friend whose brother is a 911 operator, and he has to give callers instructions on CPR quite frequently (even to children who call in for parents who are non-responsive).  Carrie could've attempted compressions.  They're not that difficult.  Tiring, but not difficult. 

With his heart issues, you'd think he would've had an AED difibrillator in the house (we know they could afford one) and she would've been trained on CPR & how to use the machine.  The Red Cross offers an excellent course in these things.  It doesn't mean he would've survived, but he would've had a better chance.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, OldButHappy said:

Link? Love finding new pods!

You can find it here (Spotify link.  Hope I don't get in trouble for doing some shameless self promo here!)

To make it legit to the episode:

5 minutes ago, nenya said:

I agree with all of you!

Carrie not calling 911 threw me off. She could just call, scream into the phone, and then go back to hugging Big, and it would have been more impactful. But not showing her even attempt to call was off-putting. Seconds matter! 

Brady - I wish they had either cast or wrote him better than some weirdly horny kid. It was also weird, even in college most people weren't that loud! I admit to being a prude though, and it was really off-putting to see the screen. 

Also, I wish they wrote him so much better or cast a different actor. For example, I can see Charlotte's kids as a mixture of her and Harry, with Lilly adopting Charlotte's perfectionism and very feminine style, and Rose being more like Harry, a bit rough, easy going, and goofy.

But Brady didn't seem to get any of the charm of Steve, or any of the with of Miranda. And both parents were supposed to be smart - Steve might have been a bartender, but he was always reading a deep novel, and eventually became a businessman. Why not show a little of that in Brady?

Brady also looks like an awkward kid.  I don't know if I would have wanted to go out with him back in high school.  I would have been the type who'd roll my eyes and moved on.  Not sure what Luisa/Louisa sees in him, but okay.  As for his loudness, if I didn't know better, I would have thought he was SAMANTHA'S kid!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm beginning to wonder if Steve had some health issues between the second movie and this series which will be addressed in later episodes.  Not that the men tend to matter much on the show. 

• Love 2
On 12/10/2021 at 2:37 AM, Aulty said:

That podcast scenes just highlighted that Carrie might've been the one writing about sex, but Samantha was the voice of sex on the original show. She would've had a great time with Che.
I really wish I had a Samantha in my life.

I could see Samantha having a podcast!
I could also see her dabbling in reality tv like Kelly Cutrone did. 
On the original series the other women were much more modern than Carrie was. Miranda had a Palm Pilot. Carrie didn’t have internet until what? Season 4 was it? When she sent Aidan the email and uttered the famous line about shopping being her cardio. 
I can’t see everyone being so behind the way they’re showing them to be. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

I could see Samantha having a podcast!
I could also see her dabbling in reality tv like Kelly Cutrone did. 
On the original series the other women were much more modern than Carrie was. Miranda had a Palm Pilot. Carrie didn’t have internet until what? Season 4 was it? When she sent Aidan the email and uttered the famous line about shopping being her cardio. 
I can’t see everyone being so behind the way they’re showing them to be. 

Samantha should be the one on Che's show, not Carrie. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Below is a picture of me on set (very grainy, with those primitive phone cameras back then!). The champagne stole I'm wearing is real (but vintage, I would never buy real fur. It was my grandmother's).

At :56, you can see the back of my head (blond bun). At 1:14, you can see me with my mouth hanging open (!) near the top left corner. 

The whole thing was tons of fun, even though I hadn't watched much SATC at that point. But I was a celebrity at work after that :)

SATC Shoot.JPG

What an amazing experience! Thank you for sharing with us. You look so beautiful! 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I hope not, as I actually like Miranda with Steve, but I suppose it is possible. I just wish, if that is the case, I liked Che. So far, the character grates (to me).

I want to like Che, but I'm not feeling they, yet.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I have a friend whose brother is a 911 operator, and he has to give callers instructions on CPR quite frequently (even to children who call in for parents who are non-responsive).  Carrie could've attempted compressions.  They're not that difficult.  Tiring, but not difficult. 

With his heart issues, you'd think he would've had an AED difibrillator in the house (we know they could afford one) and she would've been trained on CPR & how to use the machine.  The Red Cross offers an excellent course in these things.  It doesn't mean he would've survived, but he would've had a better chance.  

I've noticed people nitpicking (too much) about Carrie's reaction to Big's heart attack.

If the third movie had gone through, MPK was planning to kill off Big anyway.

Since that movie fell through, they made it happen on this series instead. This was always the plan.

So, I'm having a difficult time understanding why people are annoyed with or upset by how Big died. I think he was pretty much dead when Carrie got home. Basically holding on to look at her once more.

I don't mean to pick on you @ChitChat, but so many people are focused on this one part and how they think it's unbelievable.

Little about SATC was very believable either. 😂

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Brady also looks like an awkward kid.  I don't know if I would have wanted to go out with him back in high school.  I would have been the type who'd roll my eyes and moved on.  Not sure what Luisa/Louisa sees in him, but okay.  As for his loudness, if I didn't know better, I would have thought he was SAMANTHA'S kid!

He looks like he's Samantha's kid if she had a kid with Sam Jones!

• LOL 9
8 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

He looks like he's Samantha's kid if she had a kid with Sam Jones!

Except neither Samantha nor Miranda have an ounce of awkwardness in them.  That's all Steve.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:15 PM, tennisgurl said:

So this is going to be one of those "Remember that happy ending we gave you? Well forget that, everything sucks now!" sorts of sequels huh? Killing Big off is such a weird, depressing way to start the show, it casts this huge shadow over the whole thing even when they inevitably have to go back to making jokes. 

The cast and writers can go on and on about how there are no hard feelings between them and Kim and how great Sam is, but this all screamed "fuck you" to me. If they were really trying to show how not bitter they are they would have just been like "Samantha's away on business, but sends her love" and that would be that, nothing about her being estranged from Carrie. 

I am pretty sure the writers have never listened to a podcast in their lives. It all felt very "how do you do, fellow kids?" 

At least its better then Sex and the City 2...for now. 

But if Carrie and Samantha were still friends she would fly home from anywhere to be there for her. Being estranged solves that and is a big FU to Kim.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I don't mean to pick on you @ChitChat, but so many people are focused on this one part and how they think it's unbelievable.

It's okay!  Like I said, I'm not actually watching the show, but I did watch this scene on YouTube, and I stand by my criticism of her not even calling 911.   Yes, he was in pretty bad shape, but she should've been trained in CPR and done something!  I think nitpicking is in order since Carrie was well aware of Big's heart issues, but yet she couldn't bother to make sure she'd be prepared for something like this.  That makes no sense to me.  

My SIL went through this with her husband (early 30's), and although she did CPR until the ambulance arrived, he didn't make it, but she damn sure tried her hardest.  He didn't go without a fight (on her part.)  I guess that scene touches a nerve with me, and I'm sorry to be such a hard-ass about it.  ;)  

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It's okay!  Like I said, I'm not actually watching the show, but I did watch this scene on YouTube, and I stand by my criticism of her not even calling 911.   Yes, he was in pretty bad shape, but she should've been trained in CPR and done something!  I think nitpicking is in order since Carrie was well aware of Big's heart issues, but yet she couldn't bother to make sure she'd be prepared for something like this.  That makes no sense to me.  

My SIL went through this with her husband (early 30's), and although she did CPR until the ambulance arrived, he didn't make it, but she damn sure tried her hardest.  He didn't go without a fight (on her part.)  I guess that scene touches a nerve with me, and I'm sorry to be such a hard-ass about it.  ;)  

I'm glad you didn't take it personally. It wasn't directed at you. I've seen this very discussion in a variety of forums. 😂

I wasn't bothered much by it because this show was never going to be about Big and Carrie since MPK was planning to kill off Big.

The way I saw that scene was that Carrie calling 911 wouldn't have mattered because Big's heart attack happened while that recital was still underway. It wasn't as if Big had his heart attack right before she walked in the door. At that point, her efforts wouldn't have mattered much, except to get an ambulance to take away his body.

I thought it was more ridiculous that Big was "kept alive" long enough for Carrie to arrive home so that he could look at her once more. Personally, I would have found the scene more believable if Big had died and Carrie found him that way.

Edited by Surrealist
4 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

The way I saw that scene was that Carrie calling 911 wouldn't have mattered because Big's heart attack happened while that recital was still underway.

I'm probably taking it way too personally (Carrie's reaction).   Knowing how my SIL has struggled for so many years wondering what she could've done differently (EMTs tried to assure her that she did everything she could), but that doesn't help, so in the real world, Carrie would probably be wracked with the same guilt of "what could I have done differently," um, at least called for help?  I'm going to let this go now!  

I'm disappointed to read that Miranda has turned to alcohol.  Again, at the end of the last movie, she went to work for a firm that "valued her voice."  Maybe that didn't pan out, or she got burned out on her profession.  I thought she was happy.  It's just sad because I think it would've been better to let us believe that they all had a "happily ever after" ending after the last movie.   I didn't need to see Big dying on the floor. 

I can understand why Kim didn't want to come back and do another series. 

• Love 5
On 12/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, evansmom10 said:

OK, this feels like it was written by 23 year olds, who write what they think 50-55 year olds act like, except that it wasn't. It was written (created) by people who actually were 50, and acted by people who actually ARE in their 50's and KNOW DAMN WELL people that age don't act like that. I'm confused. 

That’s the same thing I told my friend when we were texting about the episode!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was excited to see this series, now not so much. I thought the death would have been Samantha and their way of writing her gone. 

Killing Big :( Just a big no and in the first episode sets the saddest tone for entire series. 

Why didn't she grab her phone and call 911, it's glued to her side through everything and NOW she doesn't grab it?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 4

I am the age of the characters and I loved these episodes.  Yes, 55 yo women do squeal, for the person who questioned it on pg 1, usually when with my bff.  And yes, we also have the age conversations too, pretty much every time in one way or anither.  The whole gray hair conversation I was dying over cuz my bff went totally gray over Covid shutdowns and I like it but not ready for her to do it cuz then I feel old, so that whole convo was true to my life.  The whole Samantha explanation is also true to my life…..another bff, that I worked for for many years, shared families, holidays, trips, etc…I moved on from the business and was dropped like a hot potato.  She moved to Italy and I havent heard hide nor hair from her in 4 yrs, despite repeated attempts.  So that shit does happen, no matter how close you are.

As devasting as Big’s death was, for the series I get why it was done.  I thought it was done well….the blue shoes were a devasting touch btw.  At this age, this stuff happens to us women, more frequently than we like to believe.  Thank God for our close girlfriends to be there to pick up the pieces.  

I also finally get the show title now!

• Love 6
On 12/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, Hana Chan said:

For all the talk that the cast and writers loved Samantha, this was unquestionably meant to be a public "Fuck You" to Kim. Though admittedly after watching this ep, I think that Kim made the right call to put SITC in the past and move on with her life and career.

It seemed like they were taking shots at her to me too. I know they had to address her absence, but I’m not sure it was handled in the best way.

The show really suffers from the doing away of Carrie's narration. A lot of the dialogue felt very unnatural and exposition-y to me; it's as if the show is too self-aware and is trying to check off a list of talking points/topics that the writers think the audience wants to see being addressed. E.g. "Here's the conversation pointing out that we're all older now!" followed by the "Let's discuss what happened to Samantha!" talk.  It feels like very amateurish and clunky writing, a far cry from the original series.

I thought this episode felt forced. Something was off. When they were talking it was like I could see the dialogue on the page. I don’t know if it was the writing, the performances or both, but it didn’t have the natural rhythm I remembered from the original show. Maybe it will take some time for them to relax and settle into their characters. 

What I was hoping they'd address but didn't is menopause. They probably didn't want to go down that road because there's this delusion out there that women can only be vibrant if they're sexually active and have a strong sex drive. These women are 55+ years old. Hate to break it to Che, the inclusive and provocative podcast host, but women's sex drives decrease after menopause. For some the decrease is drastic. That scene in the studio was the perfect opportunity to address menopause but they chose not to. I feel like this is a taboo subject even among women.

ITA! They could get so much material out of this subject. Menopausal women are often dismissed, mocked and stigmatized in our society. As a woman in my 50s, I’ve noticed it. Sometimes I feel like the message I’m getting is, “You aren’t sexy or relevant anymore.” Why not explore the topic? But it would have to be handled by a female writer. A man is just not going to get it right. 

Shocking and upsetting about Big. I’ve always enjoyed Chris Noth in this role. 

Miranda went to HARVARD LAW. We are supposed to believe that she gave up her partnership? Also, Miranda wasn't so clueless and tonedeaf. 

The chemistry among everyone seemed off.

I am not convinved Miranda would have acted that way in her attempts to be woke.  Charlotte?  Yes.  But Miranda who called out men for being sexist pigs towards her in boardrooms wasn't going to act that way in the classroom, was she?

It seemed like the dialogue was written for someone else, someone neurotic and insecure. This didn’t seem true to Miranda at all. 

Is it me or did Miranda’s hair look more beige blonde than gray? They made such a big deal out of it and it didn’t even look bad to me. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, PRgal said:

Except neither Samantha nor Miranda have an ounce of awkwardness in them.  That's all Steve.

I think that's just the actor,  he played basically the same on Life in Pieces.  

15 hours ago, PRgal said:

Samantha should be the one on Che's show, not Carrie. 

IMO, I think no one in that age bracket should be on Che's show,  who wants to hear about a 55 year old woman's public masturbation experiences?  I say that as someone in that age group.   Frankly I found Che and her show to be the cringiest thing ever,  but I guess there is a market for oversharing your sex life to the public.  

• Love 9

There definitely IS a market for Che’s show.  There’s a market for everything.  And there are all sorts of parents too.  A (30-something) mom commented on a New York Times article, wondering why Miranda was so freaked out about Brady smoking weed.  Ummm, because he’s underage?  I replied with that comment and she asked whether it was appropriate to be upset with a minor who comes out transgender.  Errrrr…apples to oranges here.  I’m definitely not the person to be on that show either.  I suppose Che wanted Carrie because she has a name many would recognize but is easier to get/more affordable than someone more well-known.  

• Love 4
22 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'll be honest...Samantha's absence has sapped the show of humor and zest.

In the original, she had the most comic relief stories.  Even her breast cancer story had a hopeful spirit to it in the original.

As a bc survivor, I was impressed by how well written Samantha's cancer storyline is. I was diagnosed in 2016, and this series ended years before that, but that's how much of an impact it had on me.

It's easily my favorite storyline of the entire series. 

I do miss Samantha on this show, but don't blame Kim for not wanting to return. It's definitely missing Samantha's humor and wit.

• Love 11

I feel like if Brady is going to be having sex with his girlfriend under his parents' roof and making out with her all over the place like a mid-twenties something on a Bravo show about share houses, he should be paying rent.

Making out at The Manhattan School of Music recital like they were in alone in a darkened movie theater was inappropriate, disrespectful and gross. 

On another note, every time Charlotte repeated "Manhattan School of Music", all I heard was her voice in S1 talking about the Manhattan Whoozit 😆

• Love 9
On 12/10/2021 at 3:21 PM, sashayshante said:

I don't think that would be enough to justify why Samantha wasn't at Big's funeral. It had to be a deep rift to come between them.

They could have just had her test positive for Covid before her flight. It would have been easy and realistic.

• Love 15
30 minutes ago, fountain said:

They could have just had her test positive for Covid before her flight. It would have been easy and realistic.

In their world, the pandemic is completely over.  Notice there’s no masking at all or any vaccine card checks. 

• Love 6

I was surprised they mentioned the pandemic without showing ANYONE masking (not anyone on the street either) yet they showed Carrie coming home and immediately washing her hands. And mentioning listening to their favorite records with wine since 2nd day of lockdown.

On a thread of redditt  one person compared them to looking like the Goldie Hawn/ Meryl Streep characters in Death Becomes Her where they are held together with spray paint and spackle!

I couldn't believe they didn't have Carrie at least trying to call 911.

• Love 6

Believe it or not, I thought the Carrie/Big Dies scene was very realistic and was probably the best acting of the entire (really terrible) episode. Heart attacks are either plumbing or electrical and if he had a massive blockage, no amount of chest compressions or an AED would have brought him back. There’s a a reason they call a blockage like that a widowmaker, and we know from his angioplasty that was likely his issue. Her shock and the minute everything stood still, I thought that was well done.

If she had gotten home earlier, or if she hadn’t gone in the first place, he might have stood a chance, if they could have gotten him on the table fast enough.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

There’s a a reason they call a blockage like that a widowmaker, and we know from his angioplasty that was likely his issue. 

I found it quite depressing.  For all of Big's faults, there was still something I liked about him.  Not the cheating of course, but he could be quite charming!

My boss had the same thing (widow maker) and was using nitroglycerin on his short drive to the hospital (yes, the dummy drove himself).  He was lucky.  He survived.  In the real world, Big was probably going to die, but without any intervention, we'll never know.  

• Love 4

No way Samantha is not on a plane the minute she learns Big has died. Come on.  All they had to do was show Carrie going into a back room at the venue and suddenly putting on a face of teary surprise and relieved recognition, end scene. Then the next day she could tell Miranda that while the friendship has run it's course, there will always be love there. That's it, done, you don't have to ever mention Samantha again and I would have been satisfied. 

• Love 12

I had no idea that Big was supposed to die in the "next" movie, but it seemed pretty obvious from the 2nd or 3rd time Peloton was mentioned that Big was going to have a heart attack while riding.  When they started the cutting back and forth between Big and the recital, I knew for sure it was going to happen.

As weird as it was for Carrie to be calling him "Big", him calling her "kid" was just creepy.

I hate what they've done to Miranda.  The whole classroom scene was ridiculous, and didn't fit with the old Miranda at all.  And, it seems totally unnecessary to any plot line.  If they wanted to show Miranda as the "old lady" in the room, they could have had just the pronoun gaffe.  And I agree with some of the posts above, Miranda would so be into podcasts.  I can see her going old-school with text books, but they made her into a joke with all this stuff.

I really didn't like Charlotte just assuming Rose would wear the girly girl dress.  At that age you don't just dress your children like they're dolls.  And has she met Rose?  I was expecting Rose to do a Pretty in Pink moment with the dress and shred it, or cut out the midriff or something. 

Other than that, I'm liking the continuation.  It's hard to do something like this, and we can't expect them to just pick up where they left off.  I'm loving the fashions, the apartments, the banter between old friends.  I like the new cast additions.  OK, the new adults.  I hope the kids remain very minor players in the rest of the series. 

• Love 8
On 12/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, hatchetgirl said:

I didn't enjoy it.  Has Miranda been cryo frozen this whole time and just recently released and doesn't know to be an idiot about your black professor with the braids?  And seriously, Carries asked Big if he masturbates?  WTF?  Of course, he does. She of all people, should know that.  How did she go from the sex writer to the prim church lady?  That was just awful.  

That death scene was stupid as well.  I feel like she was ready for him to die and held him, dying in her arms, so he couldn't get to the phone.  LOL

As for parents who drink at kids things, sign me right up.  Parenting is exhausting and sometimes a parent just has to have a damn drink to get through a recital.  :)

On 12/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, txhorns79 said:

I mean, if the podcast is meant to be explicit and raunchy about sex and sexuality, then I don't have a problem with the host telling Carrie she needs to get with the program.  Otherwise, what's the point of having her on the show?      

On 12/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, violet and green said:

People always said SATC was actually about the sex lives of gay men in New York, played by women. Michael Patrick King is now 67, and he has seemingly written a show about people his age, with the ailments and oh, we're so old! comments more suitable to mid-to-late 60s, not mid-fifties. (No menopause 'jokes' for the remaining trio now, I note.) Steve, with his hearing loss and raspy voice seems more like he's 80. All the women's voices, especially Miranda's, were so shrill - that was maybe embarrassment at having to say the lines they were given by the script.

Carrie as a writer, would have her own podcast - not this lame community radio show pretending to be a podcast. The shoeing in of every wokeism on the planet really erked. And when did Miranda turn into a twittering idiot who's never spoken to a black woman before?

I found the masturbate for me, Big, scene so embarrassing I was screaming No! at the screen, and not in a fun way. Okay, it went in a different direction, but it was still all wrong. Who, after 20 years together, doesn't know the answer to that question, especially when your job was to write about sex in the city...

I should have been sadder Big died, and I am sorry he won't be in the rest of the season unless it's for flashbacks, but after the excruciating 'couple scenes' I am kind of glad that is over.

Lovely to see Stanford and Anthony and Harry. I guess I'll ride it out but that was an excruciating episode.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:24 PM, RedHawk said:

I hoped it was going to be about women in their 50s who aren't "over the hill", out of touch, uninterested in sex, letting themselves go, etc. All those tired stereotypes. Hmmm...

On 12/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, OldButHappy said:

Just finished watching:

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I'm so mad that I'll have to leave it to y'all to expand upon why this was the worst.reboot.ever.  I'll just say mean things now. And as Granny always told me,

"If you can't say anything nice, say nothing and go out and pick up the post-raccoon-torn-up-trash-bags-mess-in-the garage......"

OK, she didn't actually ever say that...but she would if she were still alive and saw my garage now.

And I'm choosing to pick up old chicken wings over watching any teasers or previews or upcoming episodes.

At first, the chemistry was off and I also thought people were acting way too old for their respective ages. Larry David and his 70-year-old friends do not act this old on Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

I feel like the Golden Girls were more youthful and cutting edge in their day.golden girls dancing dip GIF by HULU

That being said, I do wonder...what is Carrie without Big? Also, this is something that is never addressed when a younger woman marries a rich older man....that she will be a relatively young widow.

3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I had no idea that Big was supposed to die in the "next" movie, but it seemed pretty obvious from the 2nd or 3rd time Peloton was mentioned that Big was going to have a heart attack while riding.  When they started the cutting back and forth between Big and the recital, I knew for sure it was going to happen.

As weird as it was for Carrie to be calling him "Big", him calling her "kid" was just creepy.

I hate what they've done to Miranda.  The whole classroom scene was ridiculous, and didn't fit with the old Miranda at all.  And, it seems totally unnecessary to any plot line.  If they wanted to show Miranda as the "old lady" in the room, they could have had just the pronoun gaffe.  And I agree with some of the posts above, Miranda would so be into podcasts.  I can see her going old-school with text books, but they made her into a joke with all this stuff.

I really didn't like Charlotte just assuming Rose would wear the girly girl dress.  At that age you don't just dress your children like they're dolls.  And has she met Rose?  I was expecting Rose to do a Pretty in Pink moment with the dress and shred it, or cut out the midriff or something. 

Other than that, I'm liking the continuation.  It's hard to do something like this, and we can't expect them to just pick up where they left off.  I'm loving the fashions, the apartments, the banter between old friends.  I like the new cast additions.  OK, the new adults.  I hope the kids remain very minor players in the rest of the series. 

I have a daughter that does not like girly things and I always have loved and respected her style. I wish Charlotte would not be such a jerk to Rose.

My daughter is 8 and I would never force her into something that made her feel so uncomfortable.

My mother never looked at me as a human being in my own right and always dressed me as her personal doll when I was younger. This got me bullied for being in frilly dresses when other girls were already wearing cooler funky fashions.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

At first, the chemistry was off and I also thought people were acting way too old for their respective ages. Larry David and his 70-year-old friends do not act this old on Curb Your Enthusiasm. 

I feel like the Golden Girls were more youthful and cutting edge in their day.golden girls dancing dip GIF by HULU

That being said I do wonder...what is Carrie without Big? Also, this is something that is never addressed when a younger woman marries a rich older man....that she will be a relatively young widow.

I have a daughter that does not like girly things and I always have loved and respected her style. I wish Charlotte would not be such a jerk to Rose.

My daughter is 8 and I would never force her into something that made her feel so uncomfortable.

My mother never looked at me as a human being in my own right and always dressed me as her personal doll when I was younger. This got me bullied for being in frilly dresses when other girls were already wearing cooler funky fashions.

Agree. I know mileage varies on the behavior of the characters of their ages, and I get that people in their 50s are not like those in their 20s, but still. 

Yes! It's amazing they're trying so painfully hard to be woke, and they have Charlotte, who had matured a lot throughout the series as far as things not needing to look a certain way, think her daughter should dress in girly getups just because she's her girl. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Agree. I know mileage varies on the behavior of the characters of their ages, and I get that people in their 50s are not like those in their 20s, but still. 

Yes! It's amazing they're trying so painfully hard to be woke, and they have Charlotte, who had matured a lot throughout the series as far as things not needing to look a certain way, think her daughter should dress in girly getups just because she's her girl. 

I feel like Charlotte is trying to emulate some sort of Waspy perfection (even though her family is Jewish) that even Martha Stewart has given up on.

I mean, could Charlotte hang with Snoop?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I feel like Charlotte is trying to emulate some sort of Waspy perfection (even though her family is Jewish) that even Martha Stewart has given up on.

I mean, could Charlotte hang with Snoop?

Charlotte wouldn't survive jail or beautifully roast Justin Bieber either!

Charlotte "I'll bring biscotti."

Snoop "I'll bring the weed!"

Now that you mention it, Charlotte high would be hilarious!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Charlotte wouldn't survive jail or beautifully roast Justin Bieber either!

Charlotte "I'll bring biscotti."

Snoop "I'll bring the weed!"

Now that you mention it, Charlotte high would be hilarious!

LOL! True but the thing with Martha is, she’s always been a hustler. She was the bread winner early marriage. 

High Charlotte would be hilarious 

• Love 3