Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E11: Finale

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

think there were two make couples and another female couple.  I had tears in my eyes watching it,  

I rewatched that dance right after the show and they transition into the same sex couples right at the end (started out male/female couples and then they all moved into same sex couples), which was really cool to watch happen. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, UGAmp said:

and ugh to Tyra making the moment include her by gasping, stammering, and shrieking the winner.

Ms. Banks sure can milk a moment, can't she.    Lackluster finale and freestyles except for Iman.   That was fresh, fun and well executed - exactly what a freestyle should be.  And I enjoyed his partnership with Dani (I'm a sucker for the partnerships like the one they share - a true bond that has turned into a friendship).

And I agree with whoever posted upthread that Julianne was channeling Paula Abdul with her odd, over the top behavior.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Ha, I came here to say, that have you all forgotten the magnificent "mango"? But I see White Dog beat me to it.

That doesn't really count, though, because (a) they weren't a competitive couple -- Jonathan was only subbing in training for Steve's actual partner Anna, who was out sick that week -- and (b) it was more or less a joke (this happened right around April Fool's Day, if I remember correctly). It will never not be amusing, but I really don't consider it a "hint" about any future direction for the show.

26 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I rewatched that dance right after the show and they transition into the same sex couples right at the end (started out male/female couples and then they all moved into same sex couples), which was really cool to watch happen. 

Strictly did something similar with one of its pro group numbers this year, and it was electrifying to see.

• Love 3

As much as I thought that Jojo deserved the win, I also threw my votes to Iman every week, so I'm not sad about it. All I was really concerned with was the Cult of Peloton recreating Bobby Bones 2.0.  I was never so relieved that he was called in third place. Amanda was better than Cody, but I think she lacked the fanbase and was pretty boring. She reminded me of Katherine, who was beaten by Donald Driver. Was she a better dancer? Yeah. But her personality was pretty quiet and bland, and Donald had personality to spare. Same with Iman. 

And HOW does a man that large, move like that? 

Daniella was amazing and adorable. All season long, I just kept thinking "Jennifer Grey before she stupidly got a nose job."

• Love 5

Happy with the results.  I was pleasantly surprised that Jojo came in second.  I thought Cody would be 1st or 2nd.

Iman and Daniella had the best freestyle.  What I was really surprised was how well Daniella was hitting that style.  While the pros are competent in hip hop, Britt and Witney are the ones that usually stand out among the women.  I remember commenting on the first week that Iman was low balled but I forgot that Len actually gave him a 4.  Really!!  That's usually for people that can't move.  What did he give the Karate Kid guy?

Everyone looked so happy doing their freestyles.  I was a little disappointed with Jenna/Jojo's freestyle mostly because I expected more from them.  Amanda and Alan's were not innovative either but I didn't have high expectations for them.  It was nice to see Jenna and Jojo's previous dances.  They really did have some outstanding dances this season.  I don't care if either one was a ringer.  I watch DWTS for the dancing and entertainment.  Besides comparing Amanda and Jojo, you can see why it's not enough to just have good technique.  I felt that way with the Bachelorette women.  You have to entertain me too.  That's why Justine was my favorite last year not Kaitlyn.

I liked Cody's freestyle even though it wasn't that difficult and a little messy.  Last week after somebody posted spoilers, I wrote that I think he would just shine with the Todrick Hall song just like he loved Britney.  I think he helped choreograph that routine.  Like others have mentioned and I previously mentioned, I agree that I think he would have done better with a different pro.  Somebody mentioned Britt but there's no way that Cheryl would have ended up with Karate Kid guy.  I know it wasn't offered to him but I think he would have done well with Maks.  I previously mentioned this.  I don't like his personality but Maks has a strong presence when he does ballroom.  Cody is also tall and needs a pro that is also tall so that the male pro would be the leader.  Although I like when Maks does tangos, Pasos, and ATs the best, he can also do goofy dances as evidenced by the Masked Dancer.  Cheryl said it best when she said that she's an introvert and that's just not her thing.  I think Cody needed some dances that were just fun so that he could relax.

• Love 3

I'm fine with Iman winning. I really thought it would be JoJo so it's a bit of a surprise for me. 

There's a strange dichotomy to Iman's dancing. He can really move, but when the moves are slow he sort of walks thru them. They really played to his strengths in the finale by using a lot of lifts and tricks. JoJo is a much better dancer, but her freestyle looked like a generic pro number. Same with Amanda's. I actually though Cody's freestyle was the most fun, followed by Iman's. 

That first outfit Tyra wore looked like a combination of pantaloons and cowboy jodhpurs. And when the camera swept by the judges table at the beginning of the show, it seemed so natural to see Julianne there it didn't even occur to me that Derek was supposed to be there until Tyra pointed it out. 

Cody: "I come from this fitness world where people love and adore me." Modest much?

I can't believe the credits were rolling before they even announced the winner. Whoever is responsible for the timing ought to be fired.

• Love 5

Val said early in the season that he would have partnered with a male.  More recently he’s talked about it maybe being time to move on.  Maybe a male partner would be something to interest him for another season. 

• Love 3

Echoing sentiments above. I’ve enjoyed Iman since his first jive and the “4” he received from Len. I think Jojo would also have been a deserved winner. 

I find it interesting how scaled back the freestyles were. No props or big stage set-ups that freestyles often see: think like Lindsay & Calvin’s treadmill “subway,” or Val & Laurie’s playground props, or even the chairs and boxes from Derek & Amber’s western freestyle.  I can think of lots more. While the troupe was utilized (and other dancers for Iman), it was just dancing. What a refreshing improvement to watch! 

Edited by Sd601
  • Love 5

Also rewatching all the dances today, I love how much Dani & Iman look at each other as they dance. They both grin at each other, like checking in with their partner. I think it makes it so joyful to watch—no mugging for the camera, no disconnect from each other. They are just such great partners. 

• Love 19
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

15 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I thought that was lovely, but I hate when the pros dancing alongside the stars resemble them in any way.  The floor is dark, they’re in dark clothing, so I had to really concentrate to tell with woman with long blonde hair was which.

Cut me some slack, I’m old.

Expand  

I was thinking the same thing.

I think there was a moment in Amanda’s dance where even the camera operators lost track of which pair was them - there was a section where they did this lift spin thing and they were sort of off to the side in the shot, and Val and Witney were centered. (And they looked the same from a distance, I kept mixing them up.) A weird choice by Alan - it would have been fine if it were a generic pro dance and you weren’t supposed to focus on any one pair but he needed to center his partner more. And I thought they started strong too, with the pretty floating entrance that didn’t take too long to get into the dancing. 

If they get a 31st season the male pros really need to step up their choreography game. I thought Jenna and Dani were so strong all season. (In the Emmy mix? I say with no dance background.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

They really played to his strengths in the finale by using a lot of lifts and tricks.

Except the judges tried to make sure he couldn't just rely on tricks and lifts by making his fusion a Foxtrot/Cha Cha - so no lifts there. And almost every freestyle always has at least a lift or two. I actually thought Daniella clearly worked to NOT make the freestyle a lift-fest. Yes, there were some but most of the dance was her and Iman just vibing to the song. 

I'm rewatching the freestyles as I'm often doing other things when the show is on and my overall thoughts haven't changed. I respect Cody's bringing the sass and going full rainbow flag but that dance was a mess. Considering he was dancing to Todrick's song, did they consider bringing him in to help with the choreography? Because the dance needed it. It just felt almost high school talent show, IMO. 

Amanda's was pretty and well-danced. But two things, I agree with some who say Alan had the other dancers present for too long at one point. Because with the dark lighting, it made him and Amanda disappear at one point. Two, I get why he went for something soft and uplifting based on Amanda's story but as someone else noted, considering her dance background, I think a jazzy, Rockette's like number might have played more to her strength. 

I enjoyed JoJo's freestyle. Though the second half was essentially just a cha cha but it was fun. I too loved the Pros switching to same sex pairings at the end of the dance. And I have to give JoJo mad respect for doing those lifts in heels. Sure Jenna looks like she weights maybe 90 pounds soaking wet but she's dancer, so she probably has some impressive muscles and JoJo does not appear to weigh much more than Jenna. So that was definitely impressive. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Tigregirl said:

Most of her comments made no sense.  It was like she was trying to share all these profound words of wisdom but none of them related to the dancing.

None of her words actually related to a coherent thought either.  

The judges in general need to stop climbing on the table.  Give a standing ovation, that's fine. I don't even mind Bruno gyrating about, but good god please quit jumping on the table.  Tom Cruise couch jumping flashbacks. 

And here's one more STFU Tyra for the road.  Lord she is terrible at this job. 

• Love 6

I just went down a rabbit hole researching the dancers in Iman’s freestyle, and realized I forgot that Kel Mitchell also did Chicago footwork for his freestyle, with a lot of the same dancers.

This was the choreographer (I like that Dani went authentic with this dance, and didn’t try to do it herself) https://instagram.com/1kemo__?utm_medium=copy_link

Who it looks like was a dancer for Kel and Witneys freestyle? This win a bit of redemption for Kel?

Rewatching I’m still just impressed with how much energy they were able to generate in the ballroom, especially knowing they’re not filling it as full as they used to. It felt like they were performing to a packed house by the end of that dance.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

That first outfit Tyra wore looked like a combination of pantaloons and cowboy jodhpurs.

I was reminded of a lamp at my Nana's. The kind that had an Italian statue as the base and a frilly, ruffled shade.

Tyra was predictably awful. Her sucking all the attention nearly had the audience missing the winner's reveal, and also deprived us of seeing Iman and Danielle actually celebrate with the Tackiest of All Trophies, not to mention congratulating the Runner's Up on camera, as well. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, angelamh66 said:

The judges in general need to stop climbing on the table.  Give a standing ovation, that's fine. I don't even mind Bruno gyrating about, but good god please quit jumping on the table.  Tom Cruise couch jumping flashbacks. 

Or, in Carrie Ann's case, crawling up on her hands and knees and gingerly getting to her feet.  I was really wanting to see how she'd manage to get herself down when Derek came to her rescue and literally picked her up.

55 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

This was the choreographer (I like that Dani went authentic with this dance, and didn’t try to do it herself) https://instagram.com/1kemo__?utm_medium=copy_link

It's the best in their respective fields that know their limitations, while the lesser ones try to act like they can do it all.  Not calling out any fellow pros, just professions in general.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 3

Finally, the one I was pulling for won! And I hate they cut away so quick after, Didn't they used to interview the winning couple after they won? But that would mean less time for Tyra's theatrics.

• Love 7

Could Iman have won with a different partner?  Danielle's choreography was what really let him shine - those lifts especially!!  She really used the height difference, which is usually a disadvantage, to a superb advantage.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Rightside said:

Does anyone think Tyra was afraid Iman might not win when she said "Oh my God" before announcing the winner?

That was so weird and it looked so over dramatic.  To me it looked like she was looking at her cards for a long time and then she just busted out a surprised look, said OMG and then announced Iman as the winner.  Wasn’t she looking at his name on the cue card already?  

• Love 6

I don't think the finale dance was any of the couple's best dance, except for Cody who FINALLY looked like he was having fun and letting loose. Cheryl was actually bringing that routine down with her black dress and inability to match Cody's goofy energy. I'm glad he got to be himself for one dance this season.

Iman is a great winner. Wish I could have seen him and Danielle celebrate for more than a fraction of a second, but god forfuckingbid we not have Tyra's mug on our screens making the reveal all about her. She is the worst!

• Love 6

OK, so I'll be the grinch but I thought that JoJo and Jenna should have won with Amanda taking second,while fully acknowledging Inmans improvement and the splendid job that Dani did.  I'm still going with the best dancers.  I'm OK with Inman because nothing will ever match the Bobby Bones debacle.  There's a MsMojo video on YouTube showing shocking eliminations over the years.  There were a number of celebs who had been dancers or at least trained (Heather Morris, Sabrina Bryan for example) who were bounced way too early.  Part of the blame rests with the somewhat Schizophrenic choices of the show runners.  On the one hand it's supposed to be all about untrained celebs who improve over the course of a season but then there's the trained/experienced celeb dancers who are technically superior but can lose out to the former.  There are times that there's a a voter backlash against the latter.  Maybe the show should just stop bringing in anyone who could be seen as a "ringer" so that the celeb cast would all be starting from ground zero. Of course if that's done, it could be weeks before any decent dancing was even seen.  I don't have any answers to this split and, again, this season has actually (minus Tyra) been very good.  i just would have chosen a different winner.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 3

I really like what DWTS did for Jojo on a personal level. She was able to break free and learn to be herself as an independent adult. It was a great transformation. 
I personally feel like she had some stunted growth in becoming an adult because of her mom and her career as a goofy, huge bow wearing girl. (I watched her and her mom when she was on Dance Moms.

I’m really happy that DWTS gave her the freedom to become the adult she is now. I think now she might have the  internal strength that matches her external strength.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I mean, if we want to get serious about what actually happened, JoJo likely has a team behind her that’s MUCH more savvy than Cody at negotiating a contract. She’s been at it since she was a child and has a merchandising empire, up until the last year or two he’s been a struggling backup/nightclub dancer who took a day job as a spin instructor to make ends meet. 

I believe them when they say JoJo asked for it (and likely made it a condition of her doing the show) and Cody didn’t know that was a power he had, and probably was too small potatoes to have the leverage get it anyway.

This was part of JoJo’s campaign/PR for coming out. Cody had no power; it wasn’t a coming out campaign. Also Cody would’ve been horrible paired with a man because he is not a good dancer so it would not have been that entertaining in my opinion 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Totally missed that!  I don’t watch that carefully usually reading some thing else

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I really like what DWTS did for Jojo on a personal level. She was able to break free and learn to be herself as an independent adult. It was a great transformation. 
I personally feel like she had some stunted growth in becoming an adult because of her mom and her career as a goofy, huge bow wearing girl. (I watched her and her mom when she was on Dance Moms.

I’m really happy that DWTS gave her the freedom to become the adult she is now. I think now she might have the  internal strength that matches her external strength.

She said that this weekend’s American Music Awards was her first time in a grown up dress.  Jenna even had to get her shoes and teach her how to walk in them.  

It will be interesting to see how her career evolves.  Her current fan base is really young.  I was out yesterday and saw a family.  The young boy had a Spider-Man backpack. The girl has a JoJo Siwa backpack.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

On the one hand it's supposed to be all about untrained celebs who improve over the course of a season but then there's the trained/experienced celeb dancers who are technically superior but can lose out to the former. 

There are no standards for voters. The show has never claimed to be about anything. All voters are instructed to do is vote for who we want to see continue and then who we want to see win. 

I would have been shocked if JoJo beat Iman. It's a triumph for her that she was second. She was great, but a sports star developing into a dancer is just a more interesting, compelling show narrative. I think it was always Iman's to lose after the Us contemporary.

I do wonder how he would have done if he'd been in a season without contemporary and jazz. His Disney dance was strong, but his breakouts were the lift-heavy dances that he would not have been able to otherwise do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Sile said:

It's the best in their respective fields that know their limitations, while the lesser ones try to act like they can do it all.  Not calling out any fellow pros, just professions in general.

What impresses me the most about Daniella is the Freestyle definitely had her stamp on it even though the Chicago footwork was obviously King Kemo’s awesome contribution. There were some Latin moves and excellently timed lifts as well as very synchronized cool formations that showcased the star and the pro. Then the little solo where Daniella as the student shows her work was just all kinds of full circle fun with huge smiles from Iman so proud of “his dog” crushing it in his world.  I came across an interview that Daniella did  just a year ago about her own training and it’s an eye opener: 

“ I am not trained in anything but ballroom. I have done a little bit of ballet in my childhood, but ballroom is something I have done my whole life. I've never done contemporary, I've never done jazz or hip-hop like the other dancers, but it's super challenging”  

source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dancedishwithkb.com/amp/why-daniella-karagach-weighed-her-options-before-joining-derek-hough-s-tour

She goes on to say she wants to learn the other styles so will be training in them.

So DWTS is basically a training ground for her and I’m blown away by that. She’s strictly ballroom and probably the most decorated since Karina Smirnoff but/ hello she’s now hella more accomplished than any other pro who is not cross trained on this show. She doesn’t shy away from a huge challenge like Iman, whereas Cheryl didn’t do a contemporary at all and I remember Karina breaking down because she couldn’t do hip hop in Season 15, and I see Artem’s frustration with his limited execution on Contemporary. With this win so early in her DWTS career for me she’s now surpassed even the crossed trained pros like Witney Jenna and Lindsay as such an amazing choreographer. I want to watch next year just to see what Daniella does next. 

• Love 12

Tyra was predictably awful. Her sucking all the attention nearly had the audience missing the winner's reveal, and also deprived us of seeing Iman and Danielle actually celebrate with the Tackiest of All Trophies, not to mention congratulating the Runner's Up on camera, as well. 

Far be it from me to defend Tara but I don't think the rushed ending can be blamed entirely on her. This show has a director, and other producers (and I suspect she's a producer in name only). The show was very badly timed to end up like that with the credits already rolling before the winner was even announced. That's atrocious. They simply did not allot enough time after the last commercial break. All these dances are timed, as are the intro packages and the pro dances and the singing. The whole thing was badly mismanaged.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

That was so weird and it looked so over dramatic.  To me it looked like she was looking at her cards for a long time and then she just busted out a surprised look, said OMG and then announced Iman as the winner.  Wasn’t she looking at his name on the cue card already?  

It seemed to me like the winner was not on the card itself, but that she had to wait for them to tell her in her earpiece.  She definitely reacted like she would to being told Iman was the winner as opposed to reading it.  Maybe the card was just for show and had nothing on it or instructions to wait for TPTB to let her know.   Or, maybe her reading comprehension is really that bad.

Edited by leocadia
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

do wonder how he would have done if he'd been in a season without contemporary and jazz. His Disney dance was strong, but his breakouts were the lift-heavy dances that he would not have been able to otherwise do.

You work with what you have, and they quickly realized that on the Disney Argentine Tango it was the strength moves on the lifts that  was a “moment maker” I think working with Derek Hough has propelled Daniella into taking risks that no strictly ballroom trained dancer is comfortable doing. So to realize that Daniella’s comfort level is strictly ballroom defies the reality that Iman’s best dances weren’t really in Daniella’s wheelhouse, and yet she showcased him in the best way.The lift where she planks and he dead lifts her is something that can go incredibly wrong or can look spectacular. Iman made it look easy and they were having fun so it stayed.  Salsa, Jazz ,Contemporary and Argentine Tango are all dances where lifts are expected. Surprisingly lifts had the wow factor way back when the show only had lifts in the Freestyle. But now so many freestyles include lifts that you have to be crazy creative to bring freshness to the wow. But I also think the show would never go back to no lifts because you also need a distraction from a bad frame or poor footwork. I could see the show getting rid of Jazz, or Contemporary, but they’d probably replace it with one of the styles used previously, like Swing or Lindy Hop and Iman would crush those styles. You don’t have to be exacting on the footwork like the Jive, but you have mad swag and hellzapoppin quickness and crazy lifts. 

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, RomanKat said:

Tallest winner (previously Nyle DiMarco)
Biggest height differential (previously Meryl & Maks)
1st to see a "4" paddle ?? (I think. Not sure what the previous low was.)
Daniella the 1st married pro to win over their pro spouse (and just the 3rd married winning pro after Tony & Lindsay ??)

Thanks, RomanKat! Your answer gives me another question, who is Daniella's Pro Spouse?

6 hours ago, White Dog said:

I think working with Derek Hough has propelled Daniella into taking risks that no strictly ballroom trained dancer is comfortable doing. So to realize that Daniella’s comfort level is strictly ballroom defies the reality that Iman’s best dances weren’t really in Daniella’s wheelhouse, and yet she showcased him in the best way.

Although Daniella and Pasha are ballroom specialists, they're not "strictly old school" ballroom. In addition to Ten Dance and Latin, they also competed in Showdance, which involves creative risks. Here's one example, from the 2018 Professional World Championships:

Edited by RomanKat
Changed the video example.
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, RomanKat said:

Although Daniella and Pasha are ballroom specialists, they're not "strictly old school" ballroom. In addition to Ten Dance and Latin, they also competed in Showdance, which involves creative risks. Here's one example:

Wow that’s awesome. I stand corrected! 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, White Dog said:

Wow that’s awesome. I stand corrected’.

1 minute ago, White Dog said:

ETA - I wondered how Daniella looked so polished on the lifts some of them are right out of Cabaret-Showdance dancesport now I know why!  Love it the lifts are part of a specific style of ballroom that’s she and Pasha have great training. That’s just so cool and to me looks better than Jazz on this show. 

Edited by White Dog
45 minutes ago, White Dog said:

White Dog, if they are still on YouTube, you can catch Pasha and Daniella's routines on World of Dance.  They were contestants on that show and did Cabaret-Showdance routines.  I was not surprised with Daniella coming up with amazing lifts.  Thank you for posting the article about not having other non-ballroom training.  Like I previously posted, I was really surprised at how well she did the hip-hop moves in their Freestyle.  She showed a little of it in some of their other routines but this really showcased how well she learned it.

In regards to comments I've read about Alan and Amanda disappearing in their freestyle, it would have helped if they wore different colored outfits instead of blending with the other dancers' outfits.  Also, the big complaint is that they really need to tone down the lighting.  It's too much and sometimes makes it hard to actually see the dance especially with my old lady eyes.  At least, I don't remember any of those bright epileptic inducing lights that WOD sometimes did but they still need to tone it down.  That's my old lady rant.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

White Dog, if they are still on YouTube, you can catch Pasha and Daniella's routines on World of Dance.  They were contestants on that show and did Cabaret-Showdance routines.  I was not surprised with Daniella coming up with amazing lifts.  Thank you for posting the article about not having other non-ballroom training.  Like I previously posted, I was really surprised at how well she did the hip-hop moves in their Freestyle.  She showed a little of it in some of their other routines but this really showcased how well she learned it.

In regards to comments I've read about Alan and Amanda disappearing in their freestyle, it would have helped if they wore different colored outfits instead of blending with the other dancers' outfits.  Also, the big complaint is that they really need to tone down the lighting.  It's too much and sometimes makes it hard to actually see the dance especially with my old lady eyes.  At least, I don't remember any of those bright epileptic inducing lights that WOD sometimes did but they still need to tone it down.  That's my old lady rant.

I'll join you in your old lady rant. The lighting has become ridiculous. It is so distracting and often the same color as the dancer's costumes so it is very difficult to see the dancing...or it's too dark to see anything. I found it really bad this year. Between the lighting, Tyra's parade of over the top fashions, her horrible hosting snd the judges vying for who can be the most loquacious, it has become really tacky. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I'll join you in your old lady rant. The lighting has become ridiculous. It is so distracting and often the same color as the dancer's costumes so it is very difficult to see the dancing...or it's too dark to see anything. I found it really bad this year. Between the lighting, Tyra's parade of over the top fashions, her horrible hosting snd the judges vying for who can be the most loquacious, it has become really tacky. 

Don't forget the two feet of fog billowing across the floor...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, realdancemom said:

6 hours ago, White Dog said:

White Dog, if they are still on YouTube, you can catch Pasha and Daniella's routines on World of Dance.

Thanks Dance Mom I caught a few of them, where was I ? I didn’t see them on that show, maybe I missed the times they were on. Anyway definitely Daniella is the class of the field of pros. You know I’m sure Iman knows he would not have won without her, but by the same token she would not have won without him. He was so fearless and willing to take massive risks with her. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, realdancemom said:

White Dog, if they are still on YouTube, you can catch Pasha and Daniella's routines on World of Dance.  They were contestants on that show and did Cabaret-Showdance routines.

Just to avoid confusion, Pasha and Daniella competed in Latin Showdance. For the sake of distinction: Ballroom also has divisions for Standard Showdance (based on waltz, tango, foxtrot, etc.) and Cabaret / Adagio that primarily features lifts and acrobatics (e.g. Luka and Jenalyn from World of Dance).

ETA: Strictly includes Standard Showdance under the heading of American Smooth. They also have Showdance as their last performance instead of Freestyle, the difference being that Showdance include recognizable ballroom steps.

FWIW, DWTS in recent seasons has opened up the Latin and Standard dances to allow for more showdance elements (like breaks in hold), imho.

Also, Pasha is only a couple years younger than Sasha, but that's still closer to Suni's age. Suni and Pasha might have made a quiet but powerful pairing.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, RomanKat said:

Just to avoid confusion, Pasha and Daniella competed in Latin Showdance. For the sake of distinction: Ballroom also has divisions for Standard Showdance (based on waltz, tango, foxtrot, etc.) and Cabaret / Adagio that primarily features lifts and acrobatics (e.g. Luka and Jenalyn from World of Dance).

Also, Pasha is only a couple years younger than Sasha, but that's still closer to Suni's age. Suni and Pasha might have made a quiet but powerful pairing.

I didn't go back to watch Pasha and Daniella's routines in WOD.  After your post, I remember Luka and Jenalyn doing Cabaret/Adagio. I remember liking Pasha & Daniella on the show and they didn't do as many lifts as those two.  I mostly remember a really sexy rumba but then the same dance had some lifts.  I don't remember their other dances.  I should re-watch both couples.

ETA - My memory is terrible.  I guess Pasha and Daniella only did two dances.  The one that I said was like a sexy rumba was their first dance but it didn't have any lifts.  It was extremely sexy though and that's probably why I remember it.  The second one had some lifts but more ballroom.

Edited by realdancemom
Clarification of both couples in WOD