Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E11: Finale

• Start Topic

So happy for Iman and Daniella. I was gonna be just as happy for JoJo and Jenna, but Iman really WAS amazing. He went from one of the weakest to one of the strongest with the most excitable personality and he looked like he loved being there every single week. He got better, he showed massive improvement, and Daniella really helped him get better, masking his weaknesses while catering to his strengths. 

So happy for them. 

JoJo and Jenna should also be proud for what they also did. They made history, kicked ass, and performed wonderfully each week. Their love for each other showed each week and JoJo really blossomed throughout the season.

I'll have more to say later.

• Love 16

It was somehow the most Tyra thing ever that she was running for the mirrorball while everybody else was congratulating Iman and Daniella. BUT YAY I'M SO GLAD THEY WON! Their freestyle was freaking awesome. Did they ever mention who the other dancers were in that dance?

Seeing Suni doing the length of the floor in back splits in the opening number made me sad that she wasn't in the finale. And Melora. And Jimmie. 

Cody's freestyle was the happiest he's ever been and it looked like he didn't care if Cheryl was even in that dance or not. Ha. Cheryl got it mostly right in the video package when she said that she was introverted and he very much wasn't, and I just don't think they clicked as a partnership.

P.S.: I lost count at seven. How many shots of Tyra were in the 2 Becomes 1 Mel C. montage video?

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

Called it weeks ago. And Derek said it as well weeks ago - not that Iman would win but that Iman brought a fun and joy that made him always memorable, whether or not his technique was perfect. And that has always been a big part of winning this show since the beginning.

The average person at home doesn't know perfect ballroom technique. They're there to be entertained and watch something fun. And that's what Iman brought.

Damn, go Daniella. Killing it in her early seasons. I do feel a little bad for Jenna. Second season in a row she came oh so close but just couldn't make it all the way. 

Based on the Pros and other contestants' reaction at the end, I think it's clear that Iman and Daniella were really well liked. The results were exactly as I expected - Amanda in 4th, Cody (thank goodness) in 3rd, JoJo second and Iman the champion.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I would have been happy with either of the final two. Both Iman and JoJo grew in different ways. He became a better dancer and she grew in confidence. Lovely journeys. 

Agreed. I liked Jojo a lot more than I expected to and would have been happy for her if she won. 

• Love 8

Yay for Iman! What a satisfying win after some so-so finishes these last few seasons (Bobby and the Bachelorettes). Dani is great and she has become one of my favorite pros. Though I feel like all of the freestyles were a little bit of a letdown compared to previous years. But like others have said, Iman is what this show is all about: a celebrity with no dance experience improving week after week and enjoying the process. 

and ugh to Tyra making the moment include her by gasping, stammering, and shrieking the winner. I have found the most enjoyable way to watch this show is start about 50 minutes in so I can skip all of the commercials, Tyra, and judge commentary. I just want the intro packages and the dances. Here’s to next season (because I’m not sure if this show would have survived a Cody win)!

Edited by UGAmp
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I’m so happy Iman won because I feel like he is what this show used to be. A celebrity with no experience who learned and grew with their partner. 

Exactly! And he had a great attitude too. So happy for him! A well-deserved win. 

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Me too, what a huge step forward towards understanding and acceptance, and I think with much less resistance from the viewing community than ABC expected.

I don’t think it was. Cody wasn’t even asked if he wanted a male partner. To me that take things backwards. JoJo was representing because she was a professional dancer,  shouldn’t the option be also given to those that aren’t pros?

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, White Dog said:

I don’t think it was. Cody wasn’t even asked if he wanted a male partner. To me that take things backwards. JoJo was representing because she was a professional dancer,  it shouldn’t the option be given to those that aren’t pros?

Cause Jojo was their chosen winner, Cody wasn't 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly! And he had a great attitude too. So happy for him! A well-deserved win. 

All true. But as far as the Freestyles go no one was even close to Iman and Daniella. The others were a let down JoJo almost dropped Jenna and it just looked tired. The other two were not that entertaining.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, White Dog said:

I don’t think it was. Cody wasn’t even asked if he wanted a male partner. To me that take things backwards. JoJo was representing because she was a professional dancer,  it shouldn’t the option be given to those that aren’t pros?

I think the show felt like two females would be more “palatable” to the general viewing audience than two males. So, they gave JoJo the choice and not Cody. Which is wrong. If you want to make the show inclusive, then make it inclusive to EVERYONE, not just the person you think will be the easiest to accept. Hopefully, next year, the choice of a same sex partnership will be open to all of the stars, not just the ones they hand pick. 

Edited by irisheyes
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I’m so happy Iman won because I feel like he is what this show used to be. A celebrity with no experience who learned and grew with their partner. 

He has a great journey but he didn’t try to change who he was in the process, and that’s why people gravitate to authenticity in a person. 

• Love 14

I mean, if we want to get serious about what actually happened, JoJo likely has a team behind her that’s MUCH more savvy than Cody at negotiating a contract. She’s been at it since she was a child and has a merchandising empire, up until the last year or two he’s been a struggling backup/nightclub dancer who took a day job as a spin instructor to make ends meet. 

I believe them when they say JoJo asked for it (and likely made it a condition of her doing the show) and Cody didn’t know that was a power he had, and probably was too small potatoes to have the leverage get it anyway.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Based on the Pros and other contestants' reaction at the end, I think it's clear that Iman and Daniella were really well liked. The results were exactly as I expected - Amanda in 4th, Cody (thank goodness) in 3rd, JoJo second and Iman the champion.

Edited

I was worried the show was going to job Iman and not give him 10’s for the fusion, which would then be a reason for a mediocre freestyle like the other 3 tonight to win it. The judges like to be right. Iman and Daniella are massively popular with the voting public and that Freestyle was Imans  world of hip hop brought to the ballroom. So cool Dani and Iman referencing Save The Last Dance tells me Dani was the student for some of that swag. How impressive.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, White Dog said:

Since I do change management as a living, this is my two cents: In order to affect lasting change that actually changes hearts and minds, you have to understand where your “audience”, employees, etc. are starting from. Affecting change in one individual is difficult is and affecting lasting change in an organization let alone a country is incredibly difficult and can take often take decades. 
The fact that there was a same sex partnership was a huge test of how ready people as a whole are accepting of same sex partnerships. I understand and respect what you mean about it feeling like a step backwards - in general, yes, in terms of acceptance across a huge swath of people, it takes a lot of time.

Forcing change on others can lead to resistance. Giving people a chance to understand and absorb a new perspective actually can take a lot of time. However, when they do “get it” and they actually change their perspectives and understanding, they can become the best supporters for a cause.

It was way past time for a same sex partnership to be on DWTS, it was a way to gauge”the ballroom”.

I do think that ABC miscalculated on how open and accepting many American’s are with same sex partnerships and same sex (or non binary) relationships. They probably could have introduced it a couple of seasons back.

I think it was a huge step forward, even if he could have perhaps happened a few years ago. I personally think most of the American audience is ready for a male-male partnership next season.

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Seeing Suni doing the length of the floor in back splits in the opening number made me sad that she wasn't in the finale.

I know. I thought of what could've been.

37 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

P.S.: I lost count at seven. How many shots of Tyra were in the 2 Becomes 1 Mel C. montage video?

I noticed that. I guess her fashions were memorable. The second dress was OK, but that first dress split down the middle? When the camera cut her off, she looked like she was wearing a tutu.

I'm glad Iman won. I actually voted for him for the first time. I liked him over the other three. So it came down to him and JoJo.. What happened to the Peleton groupies?

I thought it was interesting two of the freestyles had themes of accepting everyone. 

The old shows didn't run out of time so fast. The couple could be lifted and Tom could do an interview. The final four will be on Good Morning America tomorrow.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Since I do change management as a living, this is my two cents: In order to affect lasting change that actually changes hearts and minds, you have to understand where your “audience”, employees, etc. are starting from. Affecting change in one individual is difficult is and affecting lasting change in an organization let alone a country is incredibly difficult and can take often take decades. 
The fact that there was a same sex partnership was a huge test of how ready people as a whole are accepting of same sex partnerships. I understand and respect what you mean about it feeling like a step backwards - in general, yes, in terms of acceptance across a huge swath of people, it takes a lot of time.

Forcing change on others can lead to resistance. Giving people a chance to understand and absorb a new perspective actually can take a lot of time. However, when they do “get it” and they actually change their perspectives and understanding, they can become the best supporters for a cause.

It was way past time for a same sex partnership to be on DWTS, it was a way to gauge”the ballroom”.

I do think that ABC miscalculated on how open and accepting many American’s are with same sex partnerships and same sex (or non binary) relationships. They probably could have introduced it a couple of seasons back.

I think it was a huge step forward, even if he could have perhaps happened a few years ago. I personally think most of the American audience is ready for a male-male partnership next season.

I think it was a huge step forward especially since the show skews older. I think it probably also “helped” that everyone knows Jenna is married to Val so there wasn’t going to be a showmance there. In the scheme of things it’s a baby step but if you look at the audience it was seismic.

As for Cody, he should’ve been eliminated when he had Covid but for some reason they gifted him 2 weeks to stay on the show (probably because he was pulling in big numbers.) 

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

The old shows didn't run out of time so fast. The couple could be lifted and Tom could do an interview. The final four will be on Good Morning America tomorrow.

The old shows didn’t have Tyra featuring above all, well, Tyra. Her slow walk in after the fabulous opening number was agony. 

I am wondering if it’s a way to get more eyes on GMA the morning after DWTS wraps up by not allowing the winners to speak. Used to feel bad for the runners up, but tonight I was sad to see a long shot of Iman’s rear end instead of his wonderful smile. Great work, camera people! 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, jette30a said:

I am wondering if it’s a way to get more eyes on GMA the morning after DWTS wraps up by not allowing the winners to speak. 

Well, they won't be getting mine. Some of us have to work the next day. (Not that I'd watch GMA, anyway.)

4 minutes ago, jette30a said:

tonight I was sad to see a long shot of Iman’s rear end instead of his wonderful smile. Great work, camera people! 

Yeah, I didn't need that, either.

• Love 2

Called it! SO happy Iman and Daniella won! They were the couple I always looked forward to most of all... although I enjoyed this season a lot (even Tyra's last black dress was stunning).

Highlights:

Bruno's heartfelt speech to JoJo.

Iman's freestyle, attitude, conversation with Dani.

Derek made his own confetti!

Things that make me go "hunh?":

Julianne. (everything... and thank goodness she wasn't wearing those caterpillar eyebrows)

The travesty that was Suni not doing a freestyle. Her opening flips were amazing!

How quickly I'd forgotten the earlier eliminated "stars".

Final score: 9! Great show (I'm not deducting a point for Tyra's goofups). Would have been a 10 with Tom B.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

Is it just me or did Julianne seem drunk or high or something? She made no sense and at one point she was spinning in her chair. 

Most of her comments made no sense.  It was like she was trying to share all these profound words of wisdom but none of them related to the dancing.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Affecting change in one individual is difficult is and affecting lasting change in an organization let alone a country is incredibly difficult a

Agreed. But DWTS have been hinting at this for years already -In season 6 Steve Gutenberg and Pro Jonathan Robert’s did a Mango - male Tango to the delight of the audience. In season 16  Maks and Val would dance together in hold in rehearsal to show the female part to Zendaya - and there have been a number of openly gay contestants who would have jumped at the chance to compete as a same sex couple. It is only the second year of new producers and already a same sex couple is on the air- groundbreaking? Not according to the ratings. And is it the producers asking Siwa to compete with a woman or was it her team that wanted this in their contract?

Anyway that doesn’t impress me as much as Iman introducing  an authentic Chicago footwork style to DWTS and bringing the house down. What an amazing collaboration with his pro. Diversity in dance.That is the future of the show.

Edited by White Dog
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, jackjill89 said:

Is it just me or did Julianne seem drunk or high or something? She made no sense and at one point she was spinning in her chair. 

Yeah she was on another planet. I worry about her. She has changed so much since her competition days.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

The old shows didn't run out of time so fast.

The old shows NEVER ran out of time because Tom was a professional and respected the cues from the production staff.  Tyra respects only herself and imagination of her star quality.

• Love 13

This was really fun. I was happy for everyone that it felt like they got to dance from their heart. And also that JoJo/Jenna and Daniella/Iman were the final two and that Daniella/Iman won.

My favorite dance was actually Amanda/Alan's fusion dance. Such an unexpected combination of styles and songs, but it worked beautifully. I do give Iman credit for pulling off foxtrot to September, though! That song doesn't exactly scream foxtrot to me.

I watched Cody's freestyle twice because the first time, I hated it. The second time, I knew that he wasn't going to use the moon or the pole, so I focused on what he did do instead of what I was sad not to see. I think he danced well, and I think it meant a lot to him to be able to also be out and proud. Regardless of how JoJo got the same-sex partnership--whether she asked for it or the show offered it--I still think they should have given Cody the chance, too. I think it must have been hella awkward for him with JoJo's representation getting so much attention when he was also right there. (but Cody, please don't twerk again until you learn how to twerk!)

I will never get tired of seeing JoJo lift Jenna or the two dance together. They had such a great partnership and such amazing chemistry. 

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 3

So nice to see a true underdog win, and not the professional dancer. He deserves it! This is what the show should be, people with little to no experience dancing, not people who are pros or have been doin it all their life

• Love 11
3 hours ago, White Dog said:

Agreed. But DWTS have been hinting at this for years already -In season 6 Steve Gutenberg and Pro Jonathan Robert’s did a Mango - male Tango to the delight of the audience. In season 16  Maks and Val would dance together in hold in rehearsal to show the female part to Zendaya - and there have been a number of openly gay contestants who would have jumped at the chance to compete as a same sex couple. It is only the second year of new producers and already a same sex couple is on the air- groundbreaking? Not according to the ratings. And is it the producers asking Siwa to compete with a woman or was it her team that wanted this in their contract?

Anyway that doesn’t impress me as much as Iman introducing  an authentic Chicago footwork style to DWTS and bringing the house down. What an amazing collaboration with his pro. Diversity in dance.That is the future of the show.

Ha, I came here to say, that have you all forgotten the magnificent "mango"? But I see White Dog beat me to it.

• Love 5

Can someone explain what Tyra meant when she said "either one will make history" as she was about to announce the winner?

I know if Jojo won, she would have been the first to have danced with a same sex partner, but I just don't get how/why Iman just made history?  Anyone know?

3 hours ago, MsTree said:

Can someone explain what Tyra meant when she said "either one will make history" as she was about to announce the winner?

I know if Jojo won, she would have been the first to have danced with a same sex partner, but I just don't get how/why Iman just made history?  Anyone know?

Likely she meant 1st NBA basketball player to win. That's what the media is reporting.

But also:
Tallest winner (previously Nyle DiMarco)
Biggest height differential (previously Meryl & Maks)
1st to see a "4" paddle ?? (I think. Not sure what the previous low was.)
Daniella the 1st married pro to win over their pro spouse (and just the 3rd married winning pro after Tony & Lindsay ??)

Really, any couple could be making history, if you look hard enough...

Edited by RomanKat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It was somehow the most Tyra thing ever that she was running for the mirrorball while everybody else was congratulating Iman and Daniella. BUT YAY I'M SO GLAD THEY WON! Their freestyle was freaking awesome. Did they ever mention who the other dancers were in that dance?

Seeing Suni doing the length of the floor in back splits in the opening number made me sad that she wasn't in the finale. And Melora. And Jimmie. 

Cody's freestyle was the happiest he's ever been and it looked like he didn't care if Cheryl was even in that dance or not. Ha. Cheryl got it mostly right in the video package when she said that she was introverted and he very much wasn't, and I just don't think they clicked as a partnership.

I can’t believe how different Cody was.   He seemed happy and the extrovert Cheryl said he was that we never got to see all season.   How did this partnership go so terribly wrong.  Sure, he may not have won with someone else either, but he might have improved and he might have had some fun.   

Very happy for Iman.  He always seemed to enjoy himself.  He worked hard, improved and deserved his win.  As for Daniella….wow!   

Still love JoJo.  I rolled my eyes when she was cast, but she has always worked hard, shown a positive attitude and improved her dancing.  I also loved her partnership with Jenna.  Jenna had a choreography breakthrough.  And I do believe they are truly friends.   There have been some articles about JoJo going to an awards show on the weekend, for the first time wearing a grownup gown.  It was Jenna who got her the shoes and taught her how to walk in heels.  

• Love 7

I came in supporting Mel C and Suni and along the way, I became a fan of Iman and Daniella. Congratulations to them for winning! The final two was spot on and  JoJo was a worthy winner too, but I hoped that Iman would win. He definitely improved as the season progressed and he always had a great attitude and willingness to learn.  I looked forward to his dances with Daniella, whose choreography was amazing this whole season. I love her as a pro.

• Love 4

Jenna just cannot choreograph a winning freestyle, can she?

Even Adam’s was terrible, but he was so far ahead in votes it didn’t matter.

Props to Jojo for being a great dancer and giving the show her all.

Iman was a showstopper all season and Daniella is an extraordinary talent when it comes to teaching and choreographing.

I love Amanda and she was a fabulous talent, but I think Alan missed the mark on the freestyle. She got lost in the mix. Alan should have gone for jazz/Broadway style with just the two of them. All their special qualities were lost in a crowded contemporary.
 Ironically it’s the opposite if what happened with Jojo. I expected her to slay in a group but she too got lost, even in that costume. That freestyle just lacked cohesion and a theme.

The less said about Cody and Tyra, the better.

Thrilled for Iman! He earned it. I think so many more non-Dancers will want to do this show now.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t believe how different Cody was.   He seemed happy and the extrovert Cheryl said he was that we never got to see all season.   How did this partnership go so terribly wrong.  Sure, he may not have won with someone else either, but he might have improved and he might have had some fun.   

Very happy for Iman.  He always seemed to enjoy himself.  He worked hard, improved and deserved his win.  As for Daniella….wow!   

Still love JoJo.  I rolled my eyes when she was cast, but she has always worked hard, shown a positive attitude and improved her dancing.  I also loved her partnership with Jenna.  Jenna had a choreography breakthrough.  And I do believe they are truly friends.   There have been some articles about JoJo going to an awards show on the weekend, for the first time wearing a grownup gown.  It was Jenna who got her the shoes and taught her how to walk in heels.  

I expected to love Cody, but his personality was so flat until last night and he wasn't a very good dancer. They really should have been eliminated when they got Covid and he could have gotten an invite for the next season. His freestyle did make me laugh. It was sooooo out and proud! What a change from what we saw all season.

I am thrilled Iman won. As others have said it's really what the show is about. He and Daniella were terrific together.

I expected to hate JoJo, but grew to really like her. She and Jenna were a wonderful pair and their dances throughout the season were great. I am glad that I got to see that there is more to JoJo to being the walking embodiment of Rainbow Brite. She is a very hard worker and I like how she pushed herself. 

I think JoJo and Jenna were a great pair to introduce same-sex partners. They were very non-threatening (to those that may feel threatened by that sort of thing). I do hope this opens the door to more same-sex partnerships. 

• Love 4

I rewatched the freestyle dances, and was left with my original impressions.  Iman's was really the only one I really liked--so glad he won.

Cody--I have never been a fan so that probably didn't help, but I didn't like the freestyle at all, and his partnership with Cheryl has never been good.

Amanda--she was actually pretty good in this, but I agree with a previous comment on how I didn't enjoy it as much as there were too many that looked like her so it was hard to know where she was on the dance floor, and thus didn't stand out.

Jojo--I grew to like Jojo over time, but I didn't love this freestyle.  Not sure why...

• Love 3
10 hours ago, nickp1991 said:

I hope that soon multiple same-sex couples on DWTS will be a normal

I’m hopeful.  Perhaps it is being forecasted by the same sex couples dancing in the background of JoJo and Jenna’s dance. I think there were two make couples and another female couple.  I had tears in my eyes watching it,  

• Love 4