Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: #Streetwear

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Captain Asshat said:

I agree that flirting with Christian is just...not a good look. The closest anyone got to that with Tim Gunn was Santino doing a spot on Tim Gunn impersonation and suggesting many questionable things...and a trip to Red Lobster...which cracks me up to this day.

OMG, "what happened to Andrae" was the best thing about Santino.  My friend and I used to say that to each other all the time.

• LOL 9
  • Love 12
35 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Does Christian get a “save”?

I was going to say I hope not, then I realized you meant for the designers...I wish he could be voted off at this point. And none of these 'designer's deserve a save from what I've seen.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I also think that the judges are painting themselves into a corner in that they are rewarding messages over design (IMO). 

I had never missed ONE episode of Survivor until this year.  As soon as they started making a big issue of whether it was offensive for Jeff to call out, "Come on in, guys" I thought it was silly.  And then all the contestants started pushing their personal "woke" agendas, I turned it off and stopped recording new episodes.

I respect everyone's lifestyle and choices . . . but I don't need them jammed down my throat when the show is supposed to be about surviving a competition in the jungle.

I had stopped watching PR because I was getting a little tired of Heidi.  Just happened to tune in the other night, and I thought Meg must have been a survivor of "Survivor" . . . all woke and no sense.

• Love 16

I had to laugh at the judges asking Kenneth why he was all weepy and saying they didn't know what happened in the work room;  I call bull on that.  They always know what happens and especially because they act all innocent when they ask questions which are directly about something that happened previously in the work room.

I loved Anna's reveal but it was not streetwear.

Aaron was again robbed.

Can someone tell me why Prajie stuck himself in the middle of the argument?  So he was annoyed at Meg trying to show her "wokeness". So what?

This year does seem off.  I miss it when the designers just designed ..these people are too high maintenance and picked because of the drama I'm sure.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I had to laugh at the judges asking Kenneth why he was all weepy and saying they didn't know what happened in the work room;  I call bull on tha

Ken was all "I'm a victim." Shut up, you were a bully.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Brought over from the last episode: @LennieBriscoe  Do you have a link showing the outfits for this week's episode? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectRunway/comments/qdcxt7/project_runway_season_19_episode_2_streetwear/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

As before, scroll and click on a designer's  name.

ETA: Didn't see it posted above! 

😊

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

And why was Kenneth not dragged harder for that shit he put down the runway? I mean, the whole thing started because he "wanted someone who looked like (himself)" so he could do a"Crazy Rich Asian" look, and then the minute he got the model he wanted he changed to an homage to the workroom? What the hell???

Holy shit, you're right, I hadn't even realized this! After ALL the whining and crying over Kenneth needing a model like himself to feel REPRESENTED, he goes off the rails with a side tangent that was really just done so he could have a discussion starter for the runway, a way he could bring in the drama and start crying in front of the judges while he threw Meg under the bus. I see you Kenneth, you little fucking worm.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
54 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

And why was Kenneth not dragged harder for that shit he put down the runway? I mean, the whole thing started because he "wanted someone who looked like (himself)" so he could do a"Crazy Rich Asian" look, and then the minute he got the model he wanted he changed to an homage to the workroom? What the hell???

If Meg hadn't left, that asshole would have been auf'd.  That was a truly ugly outfit that even a hot Asian model couldn't save.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

And finally, I’m a very large woman.  I wore my first C-cup at the age of 10.  I guarantee Meg wears a smaller bra than I do, and there is no way I would be caught dead in anything that dingy or ill-fitted.  I have black, white, beige, purple, turquoise, and mauve, with lace and without, and although they’re not as cheap as tossing a cute little 34C in the cart with your lunch meat and Oreos at Walmart, they’re affordable enough and much cuter than whatever Meg was wearing.

Very large woman representing here as well. I gave up trying to buy cheap bras years ago. I buy the armor style at Lane Bryant/ Cacique when they are on sale and I have multiple colors, although I mostly wear white and beige.  Like CraftyHazel said, they aren't cheap but if something is showing, I certainly wouldn't wear a dingy ill-fitting bra.  These are designers and supposedly trend setters.  Would you go to a dentist with dingy teeth?

I'm confused why Meg would put herself out on a competition show and then lose her mind because people are being competitive.  And IMHO, she tried to prove herself all woke, and then got stuck when she was asked to trade models because either way, she was screwed - if she kept her model, she wasn't "putting her money where her mouth is" and if she gave up her model (which she really didn't want to do), she got all pissy and snappy.  

Is it just my middle aged brain, or is the "Crazy Rich Asian" stereotypical?   I know what Kenneth meant and I saw the movie.  But would there be a "Crazy Rich African-American" look? or a "Crazy Rich Caucasian" look? 

Prajje's "goddess" appeared to start out as the Virgin Mary (actually the "Black Madonna" which originally comes from Poland ) but then morphed into something else which is a voodoo entity (which he conveniently didn't mention). 

https://kuryerpolski.us/en/Page/View/haiti-i-polska-madonna

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Oh, and I just realized that Kenneth's "third piece" was putting patches on a hat?  He not only sent a horrible outfit down the runway, he really didn't even meet the parameters of the challenge (again, IMO).

I come here for opinions. It's either did I just see that walk down the runway, or I'd wear that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2021 at 11:13 AM, WaltersHair said:

I thought the whole idea about inclusiveness was not putting people into cubby holes? PR has always been about Making It Work. Work with what you have.

This is what I've been trying to sort out. Wanting to embrace your culture, and have it be expressed is great. But the thinking that an "Asian" inspired outfit has to be shown on an Asian person seems to keep the division and separateness in the forefront.

Meg's preaching about "getting it" just made it more obvious that she doesn't. At the end  of the day, isn't it better for a white person to just admit that we can't really grasp what some people of color have gone through? I have black and Puerto Rican members of my family, and while I've seen some examples of what they've lived with, there is a large part I can't ever fully understand. 

That's not a failure on my part, it's just how it is.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

But the thinking that an "Asian" inspired outfit has to be shown on an Asian person seems to keep the division and separateness in the forefront.

Its like a Chinese person opening a Chinese restaurant and saying they'll only serve Chinese people. WTF?!?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Meg's preaching about "getting it" just made it more obvious that she doesn't. At the end  of the day, isn't it better for a white person to just admit that we can't really grasp what some people of color have gone through?

I had secondary embarrassment for Meg when she was comparing being overweight to being black. Just no. I am a white woman, and that was painful to watch. My 17yo daughter came in during that scene and said "What is she saying??? She needs to just shut up."

• Love 18

I have given this episode entirely too much thought.

First off, Meg was a lot. Like, while watching the first episode my ten year old said 'she's a lot- we'll probably see a lot of her'. I in no way want to defend Meg, and I'm perfectly happy for her to be gone, BUT, she was damned if she did, damned if she didn't. Kenneth had ZERO right to ask her to change to a model with different dimensions hours after she had started creating the garments.

Prajje had every right to prefer designing for a model of color, but once he was assigned another model, he should have designed something else. He created that design in spite of feeling uncomfortable putting said design of his creation on a white model, so I have no sympathy for a situation he created. This is a competition show where the contestants are given challenges. If he can only design for one demographic, that is fine, but do not go on a show with multiple design challenges and then complain.

I'm not sure who told Kenneth that the baby talk thing was cute, but they lied to him. He has no discernable talent that I have seen yet, and no backbone. The fact that he changed his design (or so he said) to a patchwork of everyone's fabric scraps was the over-top-cherry-on-top of his crap sundae.

Chastity had zero reason to insert herself into the situation other than to stir sh*t. Meg inserted herself in Prajje's situation because they were sitting together (though again- not defending her whole white savior schtick).

The only reason I'll give Prajje another chance before completely judging him is that it seem his outsized reaction to Kenneth's situation stemmed from festering feelings from hours earlier, and because he admitted to being embarrassed that his mom would see his ratchet behavior.

If a week ago you had told me that there would be people on my screen more annoying than Bones, I would have suggested that you were smoking crack.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

So Meg is one of those people that is always going to be a lot about everything.  That being said, the way she is: her boisterousness, on national tv but styled as laundromat casual, weird open-side top with her subway white bra and of course her wokeness (which is coming from a good place and she doesn't realize she is being offensive) all of this already set in motion everyone feeling that this woman rubs me the wrong way.  It was the perfect storm for everyone to hate her.  As soon as Kenneth asked her if he could switch models, she only had one choice say "OK" with a smile because any other move, saying no or saying yes and showing any hint of anger, gave everyone the reason to collectively hate her and Kenneth acting like a victim didn't help.  Once the initial onset of group-hate set in she was then a trapped animal, yelling and screaming at everyone.  Once she realized her damage, she was too embarrassed to go back and so she quit.  It is too bad because I was looking forward to the atrocities she would create.

Edited by LindaT
there is no "H" in national
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

I am a bit late to all this.   I was channel surfing and caught episode three, then I had to look around to download episodes 1 and 2 which I just binge watched.

This whole episode and Christian's antics were a really hot mess.

Maybe it is because Christian was a contestant and is also supposed to be a mentor that causes him to revert to acting like he is part of the group of designers instead of acting like a mentor.   Also what is going on with his hair.  Is he wearing a hair piece in front?  or do I need new glasses?

I blame Christian for the hot mess that was between Meg and Kenneth.  He should never have persuaded Coral to swap.  That led to Kenneth wanting to swap.  Since he had allowed the first swap, Christian couldn't have intervened in this even if he had wanted to.  I don't recall his being in the room for that swap, however.

I was already exasperated with Megs the first time she bitched about how she didn't think the show would be that stressful.  Did she never see a previous episode.  This show is stressful physically, mentally and emotionally for the designers.  It isn't like it is season 1 and it is a new show.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:50 PM, Ilovepie said:

^^^^This.  The purpose of the tribute to the workroom was only because he thought the judges would ask him to explain himself and he could go into a poor little me routine about how he was bullied by the plus size woman who isn't as woke as she thinks she is and how the designers came to his aid and got her to leave the show.

I am old and when I think of street wear, I think of casual clothing, but I guess in today's world it is a coat or jacket over some type of pant and a type of shirt that normally would not go with either the jacket or pant and some type of boot for foot wear.    I would be OUT so fast because I would probably have the model in boots, a short skirt and tank top and coat.  

Are they not examining the work up close because of COVID?   or are they just not showing it>  I really miss the close ups of the designs when the models have them on for the judging.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

I am old and when I think of street wear, I think of casual clothing

You and every other person who is not in a design competition. I wish they would narrow the definition of street wear instead to a "denim challenge" or "athleisure challenge". I am pretty sure they have done athleisure in the past, but it seems even more relevant in the post-covid world.....

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I am pretty sure they have done athleisure in the past, but it seems even more relevant in the post-covid world.....

Yes, there was that awful season when Heidi had an athleisure line coming out,  and she used the contestants to design new looks for her line.  I remember it as the season of saggy-butt stretchy pants.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

Yes, there was that awful season when Heidi had an athleisure line coming out,  and she used the contestants to design new looks for her line.  I remember it as the season of saggy-butt stretchy pants.

Oh yeah, I think I blocked it from my mind! Didn't they have to use her fabrics as well? Lord......

• Love 4
On 10/23/2021 at 9:01 PM, AZChristian said:

JMO.

I don't think Meg just quit on her own. I think production people realized that she was not only emotionally incapable of dealing with the stress of the competition, but she was a major source of politically incorrect offensiveness.

To quote Christian, "Unfortunately, I am here to let you know that Meg will no longer be participating in the competition. But we really, really do wish her all the best."

That sounds like something a manager comes in to tell a department when someone has been given the choice to quit or be fired.

Yes, I totally agree, Meg was definitely fired. Who knows, maybe we'll hear the whole story someday. She was an overgrown cry baby, and it angers me that she represented the great state of Oklahoma. Why do I believe she latched onto her white savior complex not from her life but from mainstream media? Also, her dingy bra look with revealing pasty fat skin was, as Tim used to say, "a lot of look."

On 10/25/2021 at 1:30 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

The judges are also not examining the clothes up close anymore, which they should be. Looking at the seams, the hems, bad bunching, in some cases what they thought was okay from 20 feet away was much worse. Look. At. The. Clothes, dammit.

I used to love that part of the show. 

On 10/26/2021 at 10:40 PM, nokat said:

I come here for opinions. It's either did I just see that walk down the runway, or I'd wear that.

Have you noticed, more in the first episode, the judges frequently saying, "I need that, I'd wear that, make one for me!" 

I will also agree with the posters above about not wanting to sit through sob stories and ugly cry faces; Survivor being guilty too.

• Love 6

I’m new to this forum.

The whole model switching drama need not have happened. It was not Christian’s place to bring it up and nicely strong-arm Coral to swap. How could she say no? It would have been like saying no to a suggestion from your boss. But it was early in the process, so no big deal.

I think Kenneth saw that, saw the dynamics at play, and decided he would do it too — although they were much farther into the challenge by that point. Meg could have said no, but she pretty much backed herself into a corner with that cringy “woke” speech. Kenneth knew that as well. Meg was going to come out looking like an asshole no matter what. 

Production was so tone-deaf on this. Streetwear is so culturally personal that just throwing model profiles on the table and letting the designers fight over them was stupid. Pull out the button bag, let people randomly pick, and then let them negotiate before starting work to get the models they want. This divided/disrupted the workroom and it was SO unnecessary.

I thought after all that churn, Kenneth’s design was the worst. I laughed at it, as well as at his sob story that Nina (!) bought hook, line, and sinker. I also feel bad for Kenneth’s original model, who was caught in the middle and eventually lost a job. Meg wasn’t my favorite, but she got caught up in the swarm. The whole thing just left me uncomfortable.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

I thought after all that churn, Kenneth’s design was the worst. I laughed at it, as well as at his sob story that Nina (!) bought hook, line, and sinker. I also

I don’t know how much she actually bought it, but it was pretty clear that the producers had told them no one would be eliminated since Meg left. It comes down to their having X number of episodes in the season and needing to drop or keep the appropriate number of contestants to make the progression work.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I don’t know how much she actually bought it, but it was pretty clear that the producers had told them no one would be eliminated since Meg left. It comes down to their having X number of episodes in the season and needing to drop or keep the appropriate number of contestants to make the progression work.

Yeah…that’s what usually happens when someone unexpectedly leaves. They make no eliminations. Nina, though, always seems to be the least moved by these stories.  

Finally caught up on all the episodes, and there’s been some interesting stuff.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:22 AM, Jobiska said:

I am a round person (more so than Meg) and it's hard to find bras that are not torturous.  I generally only buy one brand (Lane Bryant Cacique) and while they do offer some non-standard colors, I end up buying mostly white and beige, because the others show through fabric.  And yes, they start to look dingy.  Which is why I don't even wear tank-tops, ever; I'm too self-conscious that some of the bra will show.  

Exactly.  I've been tortured with a large bosom and bra's suck ASS!!!!  I won't wear anything that shows my bra straps or any portion of my bra at all and tank tops make me look like I'm all boobs boobs and more boobs.  It's awful.  :(

• Love 3
4 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

Exactly.  I've been tortured with a large bosom and bra's suck ASS!!!!  I won't wear anything that shows my bra straps or any portion of my bra at all and tank tops make me look like I'm all boobs boobs and more boobs.  It's awful.  :(

Same here and it really sucks.

• Love 3
On 10/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, watch2much said:

Christain should have told Praije when he complained about a white model,  what Tim would have said:  make it work.

I think a lot of us at home thought those very words.

Would it have been acceptable for a white designer to request swapping out a model of color for a white one?  I'm guessing not.

Christian caused this problem.  He used his power as a male authority figure to pressure a woman to give up her model for another man's benefit.  Coral looked really reluctant but she didn't dare disagree.  Christian is the show's biggest name, he is a man, and he wielded that power and influence unfairly.   The designer probably agreed because she perceived that refusing might hurt her in the competition.

By accommodating Praaje, Christian set that whole big mess in motion.   His action prompted Kenneth to try the same stunt.  Praaje, already feeling special because the show just did him a huge favor, felt empowered to attack Meg when she expressed her frustration with the whole situation.  Kenneth, knowing he was in the wrong, piled on Meg as a means of deflecting criticism from himself.

Meg was not a likeable person.   She was not cut out for Project Runway.  But in the end, she was a woman dealt a shitty hand by the actions of three men.   It really angered me that Kenneth and Praaje got to throw themselves a pity party on the runway, play victim and cry on the the shoulders of the judges -- Kenneth even escaped being auffed --  without the judges being made aware of what really happened backstage.

All of which told these guys -- Christian, Praaje and Kenneth -- that everything they did to Meg and Coral was perfectly okay.

I've only watched two episodes and have some catching up to do.  But if the show insists on masquerading as a high falutin' wokefest while enabling men to manipulate and bully women, I'll stop cold.   Even without the hypocrisy the wokeness alone is annoying.     Already getting my fill of that from Survivor, much to my dismay.

Oh, and Aaron and the Russian woman got robbed.  The selection of Praaje as winner even contradicted the choice of the guest judge, who, it seemed to me based on his Tik Tok popularity, was more qualified to judge streetwear than the others.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8

Just starting to get caught up (had to subscribe to Peacock to get the current season) but some random thoughts:

I loved that Chasity said she was designing for the streets of Paris (Don't know if it was on the episode or the reddit thread someone posted above.)  Apparently the only people allowed on the street are young, hip (preferably of color) people who only walk around in major cities.  Streetwear is now apparently synonymous with clothes no one actually wears on the street.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:32 AM, millennium said:

Would it have been acceptable for a white designer to request swapping out a model of color for a white one?  I'm guessing not.

This.  If a designer said, I'm a suburban white person (I know, they wouldn't be allowed to admit that and still be on this show) and my look doesn't translate well to people of color could they simply say that they are representing their reality?   Would they allow a designer to say that a plus size model can not represent their view of the world as they are skinny and they don't think larger people look good in their clothes?  

On 10/26/2021 at 9:03 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Is it just my middle aged brain, or is the "Crazy Rich Asian" stereotypical?   I know what Kenneth meant and I saw the movie.  But would there be a "Crazy Rich African-American" look? or a "Crazy Rich Caucasian" look? 

YES!  He wasn't even designing "street" he was designing "rip off of movie concept."

• Love 4
10 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Just starting to get caught up (had to subscribe to Peacock to get the current season) but some random thoughts:

Suddenly I feel less alone.  So far I have watched only two episodes of this season of Praaje Runway.

• LOL 3
On 10/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, Thumper said:

Katie’s own clothes and her design aesthetic remind me of Loonette, a character from a kids show called The Big Comfy Couch (many years ago).

Trying to attempt a link, but my tech skills are limited … 😂

image.jpeg.c64d38ce7433f651b773e50ad1eddbbf.jpeg

Loonette and Molly, a clown and her dolly on The Big Comfy House!!

1 hour ago, 3jt said:

Loonette and Molly, a clown and her dolly on The Big Comfy House!!

My younger son and I loved that show! 😁. She did something called the “Ten-second Tidy” and she had dust bunny characters that lived under her couch! 

If you're a stoner, you have to watch and rewatch Meg and her defensive rants.  I laughed so hard.  

She's just that white liberal woman who is such an ally that she can't wait to show you the ways she's actually racist.   She couldn't just tell Kenneth no for fear of being considered a racist.   Performatively wokeness was hilarious to watch.

Also reminded me of Martin Short's "I"m not defensive, you're the one being defensive" in this 60 minutes parody.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, Thumper said:

My younger son and I loved that show! 😁. She did something called the “Ten-second Tidy” and she had dust bunny characters that lived under her couch! 

That's how I got my son to clean up his toys, I would announce that it was 10 second tidy and he would run around and do it. 😂 he's 26 now.