Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: #Streetwear

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, novhappy said:

I don’t believe this is a group of people I want to hang out with for the next few weeks

Plus no one has made anything that makes me want to cheer them on - Aaron is the closest. When Christian went over to Coral for that trade, I was thinking “‘who is that?” Meanwhile, we got a lot of Meg, I guess to set up this week’s narrative. 

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

The manufactured drama is hiding the quiet, talented designers from the viewers. The Russian designer was robbed in the name of production shenanigans.

Bravo is kind of all about manufactured drama. Less drama and more design please. I want to see the pattern cutting, and the fitting.

• Love 16

This season is just crap. I slogged through the first 1/2 hour of the episode and hit delete. I yearn for the good old days of PR. Guess I'm just not woke enough because I'm bored to tears with these designers and the current fabric of the show (see what I did there?). Love Christian but am missing Heidi. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The manufactured drama is hiding the quiet, talented designers from the viewers. The Russian designer was robbed in the name of production shenanigans.

Just like Aaron was robbed in the first episode when they had to bring out Darren's, oops, Bones's, dress in the top 3.

• Love 14

I’m fine with the first few episodes establishing personalities and weeding out the talentless. The contestant pool has to be drying up a little, so there’s plenty of cannon fodder and that doesn’t bother me at all.

Kenneth and Darren need to be the next to offings.

• Love 17

It’s true the judging is weak and again this week seemed like just a vehicle for resolving the back stage drama. 
I was happy that they’re doing 2 day challenges but it might be just to give more time for drama to develop and the clothes don’t matter any more, good, bad or unhemmed. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, gingerella said:

Well, just because you’re an Asian designer doesn’t mean only Asian customers are wearing your designs, you need for your designs to look good on anyone wearing it, that's called marketability.

19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I get that having a white man model a piece of Haitian-inspired culture is not ideal, but he’s just a model. The garment is what’s being judged, and if it’s good enough, it will stand on its own.

I agree with both of you, but it's trickier when messaging is part of the design.  My problem with it is I'm shallow, and I just like clothes to be pretty, or attractive, as in they favorably attract my attention because of their style or details or silhouette or originality.  I couldn't care less about messaging, or the hurtful past experience that inspired the garment.

If I were rating a record on American Bandstand, I would definitely be in the "It's got a good beat and I can dance to it" camp.  

That's one reason I prefer previous iterations of this show, where they showed more of the design and sewing.  My hope is that everybody will calm down and the producers have to resort to that again.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
It's "sewing," not "showing." And I'm not even dictating or using autocorrect! "Showing" came out of my own fingers when I was thinking "sewing." How does that even happen?
  • LOL 3
  • Love 20
3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

If I were rating a record on American Bandstand, I would definitely be in the "It's got a good beat and I can dance to it" camp.  

That's one reason I prefer previous iterations of this show, where they showed more of the design and showing.  My hope is that everybody will calm down and the producers have to resort to that again.

"If I were rating a record on American Bandstand, I would definitely be in the "It's got a good beat and I can dance to it" camp."    BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!  😆

And YES to more design and showing!  👗👘🥻

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

. And Nina has lost her edge completely IMO. The old Nina would have said, "I don't care what drama went on behind the scenes, the fact is Kenneth's outfit was atrocious." Now she's all Care Beary with him? FTS.

I'll never forget that years ago a fan came up to her and called her Meana Garzilla.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I agree that something seems to be missing this season, but, for me, it's not Heidi. I was over her many seasons ago. 

I did give Making the Cut a try. The first season might as well have been called The Wacky Adventures of Heidi and Tim.  I gave up on the second season before the finale. 

I do hope Project Runway has had its fill of DRAMA for the season. If I wanted to watch unpleasant people being unpleasant to each other, I'd watch Real Housewives. 

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I agree that something seems to be missing this season, but, for me, it's not Heidi. I was over her many seasons ago. 

I did give Making the Cut a try. The first season might as well have been called The Wacky Adventures of Heidi and Tim.  I gave up on the second season before the finale. 

I do hope Project Runway has had its fill of DRAMA for the season. If I wanted to watch unpleasant people being unpleasant to each other, I'd watch Real Housewives. 

Ha!  This is Bravo so If the designers start having sex it can be NYC House-Project Runway Edition.  Or maybe RHONY Eboni K Williams can come on to really explain how to be woke.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

You made it a lot further than me, then! I only watched about 3-4 episodes in the first season. I didn’t decide to stop watching, I just never continued. I found it boring, in the sense that it seemed too glossy and superficial, with not enough focus on character or process.

And here we’re getting the other end of the spectrum, with too much emphasis on interpersonal drama. All I want to see are likable people doing creative, unexpected things. The process of turning ideas into physical creations, and the fine tuning that happens along the way, is what I tune in for. As shows like Top Chef and Drag Race have proven, you can also have competition without sacrificing collaboration and camaraderie, and it actually makes the process more enjoyable to watch.

I’ll keep watching in the hopes that these first two episodes were just a glitch, but I’m not optimistic about the path this is taking.

• Love 16

Two women pressured into switching models - one by Christian after she already said no, another after significant work had been done - so two men could get what they wanted. That was some deep-fried bullshit. Tim wouldn’t have done that. 

On 10/22/2021 at 5:17 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

I've been saying for three seasons now, that Christian is there to hand out snarky soundbites and promote himself, not help the contestants. He's just a shit-stirrer. When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

Tim’s an actual instructor who knows how to teach and advise, Christian just interferes and causes/escalates problems. He’s a shit excuse for a mentor.

I didn’t like anything that came down the runway, it was all 80’s and 90’s clown school rejects.

I tried Making the Cut and there’s lightness, happiness, and enthusiasm for fashion and the industry and a genuine desire (or at least a much more competent projection of desire) to guide the designers. PR is now just mean and angry and bitchy and depressing. Swatch was the only good thing about this episode (RIP, little pup.)

I won’t be watching anymore.

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have a smaller band size than Meg, but a larger cup.  Most of my bras are colorful because the basic colors of white, black, and beige never go on sale while the colored ones do.  They really are not that noticeable under clothes, and I like knowing I'm wearing something fun.  When you find your UK size and order online,  you can find cute ones at a decent price.

I only worry about beige if I'm wearing a white blouse. I have some cute lacy bras but if I'm wearing it for more than eight hours I wear the comfortable ones. Finding the racerback style can be so difficult.

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The judges are also not examining the clothes up close anymore, which they should be. Looking at the seams, the hems, bad bunching, in some cases what they thought was okay from 20 feet away was much worse. Look. At. The. Clothes, dammit.

Ah, you're right!  I hadn't noticed.  I remember when they started doing that and it made the show SO much better.  We could see the clothes, and the discussions among the judges seemed more genuine when they were that close.  But now that I think about it, they were all bunched up together, touching the clothes.  Is this possibly a Covid issue?

The designers are all up close to each other (it's still jarring to see), but they're sequestered to a great extent.  The judges are all still out and about.  Although I bet Christian is, too.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 10/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, Surrealist said:

If Meg had told Kenneth "No," I've no doubt he would have made a stink about that too.

I was surprised she was even able to trade. Hadn’t she already cut out her fabrics for the smaller model? I would have thought she didn’t have enough extra fabric to go again. In any case, all she had to do was say No.

I actually think she was looking for an excuse to quit. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I am kind of surprised at how most of the designers this year are ignoring Christian's input, especially so early in the competition.  Last week they paid little attention to him at Mood when he was constantly asking what their team's point of view was going to be.  

In the past, designers were not only in awe of Tim Gunn because of his reputation, they were also intimidated by him.  We've seen designers rip up an entire outfit if Tim was too critical.  Maybe it's Christian's small stature, youth, relatively short time in the industry or a combination of all three that is the problem.  Would anyone have, upon initially meeting Tim Gunn, tell him he's so cute and they'd like to date him?  

I'd like to think there was a scene we didn't see on camera after the Meg debacle when Christian announced Meg had left the competition.  Possibly Christian apologizing for inadvertently starting the whole thing about switching models, and very firmly declaring that from that point forward there would be no switching of models whatsoever, and any designer who felt their creation couldn't stand alone on the runway without gimmicks had no business being in the business, and that goes double for unprofessional behavior between contestants.  

• Love 14
On 10/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Her annoyance was justified, but she went way over the top and out of line. Kenneth was ready to back down. She could have said something like "you know, I've been thinking and in light of all the work I've put in I can't risk it. I do understand where you're coming from. Next time maybe we could address something like this a little earlier?" Then she was so full of rage she was mad at everyone! She was yelling at her model, for crying out loud. For having the audacity to speak. She was furious at Prajje "I've already shown you that I am a 'good white person'! Why are you so ungrateful?" And continuously referring to "the race thing"? Her heart may have been in the right place but oh so tone deaf, so unwilling to listen. 

Meg tried to appear to Prajje as an ally, but she did the standard "white lady" thing and made it all about her. The first thing a potential ally needs to learn is to sit back and listen, not turn on the tears and suck up all the energy in the room. I'm an old white lady and I wanted to smack her. Seriously? "I understand what you're going through as a person of color because I didn't see plus size ladies on TV when I was a kid"? Girl. Respect a person's lived experience. 

In any case, the poor woman was way too fragile for the hurly burly of a reality TV competition. I'm glad she's gone. 

But when it comes to fashion and models, she’s 100% right.  Normal sized and plus sized women are still rarely seen on runways, compared to people of colour (of the right size).

I hated this show.  What a pile of BS.  I don’t like Meg, but she was put in a no win situation by Kenneth.  And yes, Christian is to blame.  You use the model you’re given.  No trades.

Once I saw someone put Say Their Names on his coat, I knew he wouldn’t be leaving. Can’t kick him off.  But honestly, Kenneth’s safety vest was so appalling, he should have been off, even though Meg had already left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
22 minutes ago, dogdays2 said:

IMHO, allowing contestants to change models because they think their clothes will look better on another model, whether it be because of size, race, ethnicity, gender or any other quality, is bogus.

But I think it was more than just "looking better" in Prajje's case, because the model was not only wearing the clothes but representing them.  And that's why I hate "message" clothes in a competition.  It should be about the design, fit, silhouette, fabric choice, and construction.  Not about what's written on the back.

In this case, the message was acceptable to the judges, but what if it wasn't?  What if it was a coat made of confederate flags that had "It Was Never About Slavery" on the back?  There's not a chance in hell the judges would declare that the winner even if it were otherwise the most impeccable garment in PR history, and even if every other garment on the runway looked cheap, had a puckered seams and an unfinished hem, was too short (now that Heidi's gone), and made the model look fat.

And maybe that's fair--judges can find whatever they want to be abhorrent.  But that's not why I watch a show about making fashion.

And now that I think about it, couldn't it be argued that painting a picture of the lady crying blood or some words expressing the message is unimaginative and literal? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And now that I think about it, couldn't it be argued that painting a picture of the lady crying blood or some words expressing the message is unimaginative and literal? 

Yes.  And any message that needs that much explaining is not getting across.

I think if Kenneth let the matter rest at a simple, "No" (had Meg done that), Prajje would not have.  He'd have been in Meg's face calling her a hypocrite.  He had all that pent up anger about how she disrespected him at breakfast by... supporting him?

Everyone involved was equally in the wrong and no one acted correctly, IMO.   As an old Sociology major, I was rather fascinated by the group dynamic, but annoyed as a viewer of a show about making fashion.  Biggest eye-roll did go to Ken, though, acting like the survivor of some dreadful ordeal.  Heesh.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19

Honest question… given the streetwear challenge, and the models they received initially what should they have done?

Because they didn’t have a model that was the ethnicity they wanted, designed for that model’s ethnicity?

or design what they wanted because the model is just a hanger/walker for the clothes?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, novhappy said:

Honest question… given the streetwear challenge, and the models they received initially what should they have done?

Because they didn’t have a model that was the ethnicity they wanted, designed for that model’s ethnicity?

or design what they wanted because the model is just a hanger/walker for the clothes?

I'd go with the second option.  These are all adults who are supposed to be professionals. 

• Love 15
22 hours ago, TzuShih said:

And YES to more design and showing!  👗👘🥻

Yes please. More sketching, more inspiration too. Remember Andre and Daniel in a very early season. Andre did the rain gutter dress and Daniel the flower (orchid?) outfit? Great design and outfits. I don't want/need drama, I want pretty and/or unique designs and the process from start to finish.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, novhappy said:

Actually, a hybrid of the two--design a streetwear look they want, that isn't dependent on a written/painted message that then makes it dependent on the model. 

You know, like all the other designers did.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I agree with the person far above who said that models should either be assigned or chosen in an ordered fashion.  After that, no changes.  If you aren't willing or able to dress the model you get, leave the show.

Then I think they should just be assigned. I remember in years past when the models were chosen and it was like old school kickball, there were always some that got picked last and they were usually the heavier models or persons of color. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, novhappy said:

Be an adult and use the model you get. If you have a message and you don’t think your model is the right one to deliver it, save the message for another challenge. You get what you get and it’s your job to make it work.

6 hours ago, JapMo said:

I am kind of surprised at how most of the designers this year are ignoring Christian's input, especially so early in the competition.  Last week they paid little attention to him at Mood when he was constantly asking what their team's point of view was going to be.  

Or they know he’s full of shit and only there to stir up more shit. I wouldn’t listen to him much either.

• Love 7

This year's contestants just seem so unlikable so far. There's a lot of drama queens and people whose confidence and arrogance don't seem to match their abilities. After all these years, the contestants know that you must be able to think, sketch, shop and sew quickly so there really is no excuse for anybody not finishing on time. I still can't get over the fact that someone was allowed to stay last week despite not putting out a garment just because he was lucky enough to be on the winning team. He better be the next to go. And does anyone feel like this season there are a lot of international or immigrant contestants? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just an observation. Maybe I'm wrong...I'm still having trouble keeping track of all the contestants. When Christian approached Coral to ask her to trade her model, I didn't even remember her from last week! 

I do think maybe some of the drama and bad behavior we are seeing are an effect of the pandemic. Most people probably have not had in-person interaction with people outside of our own bubbles for a year and a half. 

One thing about the outfits, I'm really surprised no one made a mask to go with their streetwear outfits. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
On 10/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, JapMo said:

Meg wasn't bullied out of the competition...she was planning this from the moment she was informed she was going to be a contestant. 

I've seen people like her before.  Very confident, very loud, all 'I'm going to kick their ass' bravado.  And then once they see the competition or team they are assigned to, their lack of self-confidence kicks in and they're immediately looking for an out.  She sabotaged herself.  If it didn't happen this episode, it was going to happen shortly after. 

Last week she constantly mentioned how tired she was, even grimacing when told her "team" will be working at night.  Crying about being homesick and missing her mother.  I'm not saying these things aren't important, but face facts...this is the biggest deal of her career.  People would kill for this opportunity.  Yet she's already setting the stage.

Christian isn't thrilled about her lack of color.  She's immediately defensive instead of just accepting his critique.  Kenneth wasn't demanding.  He meekly asked if it was OK to switch.  It didn't have to turn ugly.  She could have taken him aside and explained that she was feeling stressed after Christian's critique and having a model change at this point would stress her out more.  Instead she agreed to switch but did it so ungraciously that it then turned into a giant hissy fit with her stomping off and quitting.  She created the drama but was unprepared for it to turn against her.  Then she quits because the drama (self created) caused her too much stress.

I'm not saying other people were without fault here, and I particularly blame the producers for not jumping in immediately and diffusing the situation.  I'm saying Meg is passionate, strongly opinionated, and gung ho on the outside, giving the impression she is really in control of her life.  On the inside she's a bundle of insecurity, convinced she doesn't deserve good things to happen to her so she ruins it before she has a real chance to get it. Self sabotage.  She's probably not even aware she's doing this.  Sadly, Meg didn't really think she was worthy of Project Runway and so she found an exit.  I would bet she's regretting her decision to quit.  

My analysis is now complete.  I'm removing my shingle and am closed for business.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head,  really good analysis.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

I do think maybe some of the drama and bad behavior we are seeing are an effect of the pandemic. Most people probably have not had in-person interaction with people outside of our own bubbles for a year and a half. 

I'd accept that excuse for someone under the age of 15, but not adults.  You don't lose manners that have been drummed into your head since childhood over extremely anxious situations, even worldwide events.

• Love 10

Didn't they used to assign the models? Now the cards are just sitting on a table and it's a free for all to get at them. Way back when I think it was Ven who got a plus size model, which he kept whining and complaining about, made her a hideous outfit and then was excoriated at judging and eliminated. Have them pick out the cards one by one in random order, or the previous winner gets to go first, no switching

Another thing I noticed is that no one seemed to care about Meg. She came out and demanded the PA take off her mike, no one came after her. None of her peers or anyone from production to check with her. They are supposed to have a psychologist around too.  We saw Tim many times comforting someone who was upset or having a hard time, even if he couldn't do anything but offer a sympathetic ear. No one is advocating for the designers. Christian certainly hasn't. Tim had about 20 years experience as a teacher before he was on PR and for a good chunk of that time continued teaching as his day job. He even talked to the judges a few times when he thought they needed to know something. They need to get a mentor who can actually be a mentor.

Kenneth's wounded doe routine was straight up manipulative. And it worked, everyone jumped to his defense as the poor, vulnerable innocent. He even has the big Bambi eyes. But his garments were awful and he can only skate by for so long without producing a good outfit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Kenneth's wounded doe routine was straight up manipulative. And it worked, everyone jumped to his defense as the poor, vulnerable innocent. He even has the big Bambi eyes. But his garments were awful and he can only skate by for so long without producing a good outfit.

Agree! I predict Kenneth and Darren are both sent packing in the next 3 episodes. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Then I think they should just be assigned. I remember in years past when the models were chosen and it was like old school kickball, there were always some that got picked last and they were usually the heavier models or persons of color. 

In the early years the winner got to steal the model of their choice from the other designers.

• Love 7

If I recall correctly (and that's a big 'if'), Prajje stated that he arrived after everyone else to the workroom and that his model was the only one left.  If so, then maybe he had some responsibility for not getting a model that would "represent his message."  

Anyway, I forgot the season started so did not record the first episode, making this my first look at the new season.  I definitely don't miss Karlie (but am interested in why she's not there...).  I didn't like Meg from the beginning, but think that she totally set herself up whether intentionally or not.  Because she made such a deal about Prajje and his model exchange she really painted herself into a corner.  When one wants to show their "wokeness" they better make sure they are ready to be full in for it.  But, the issue between Meg and Kenneth wasn't Prajje's concern until he made it his concern.  So, basically, Prajje did what he complained about Meg doing earlier-he was "speaking" for Kenneth in the same way that Meg was "speaking" for him.  Just as Meg thought Prajje needed her as an "ally," Prajje thought Kenneth needed him as an ally.  

Of course, Christian had a big role in the episode's drama.  He made an exception for Prajje without realizing that when one makes an exception for one person, they better be ready to make it for everyone else.  The asking for model exchanges could get really uncomfortable.  Not only would there be requests due to racial/ethnic preferences, but plus-size versus thin, political, religious, etc., etc.  This was a real can of worms (or Pandora's Box) that Christian opened and I hope they are ready for it.

I also think that the judges are painting themselves into a corner in that they are rewarding messages over design (IMO).  As a previous poster noted, what would they do with a message with which they disagreed?  

I prefer my entertainment to be entertaining.  I watch the news to get the news.  I want to be entertained when I watch this show.

• Love 16

Meg was a lot, but she only got upset when she realized she wasn’t getting any woke points for agreeing to give up her Asian model halfway through the challenge. And in fact was being excoriated for….. I’m still not sure what. Welcome to 2021 wokeness, Meg. The worst part is we didn’t get to see more of that beautiful tattooed model she got. 
That glorified construction worker vest was the worst. 
And all the smoking.  Ugh. Ugh. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't they used to assign the models? Now the cards are just sitting on a table and it's a free for all to get at them.

If the pictures are hidden, like in envelopes, so if you get there first you still don't have an advantage over anyone else, then I'm good with it.  But throwing picture side up on the table and first come first serve....no.  Creates problems, as we witnessed this episode.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I also think that the judges are painting themselves into a corner in that they are rewarding messages over design (IMO).  As a previous poster noted, what would they do with a message with which they disagreed?  

The problem is they had too many designers desperate to get their oh-so-important messages across.  And they all tried to do it at the same time.  If you have to take 10 minutes to explain your message (looking at you Prajje) it's best left to Western Union.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

This is a valid point. People are flipping out on airplaines, screaming at cashiers, quitting their jobs in dramatic fashion, etc. Maybe these same people would be uncivil regardless, but pandemic-related stress and attendant bad behavior is no joke. 

That said, I loved the top four looks and would wear Kristina's in a second if it were available. Last week's glazed blue dress also looked great.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

The judges are also not examining the clothes up close anymore, which they should be. Looking at the seams, the hems, bad bunching, in some cases what they thought was okay from 20 feet away was much worse.

Sigh. Heidi, MK and original Nina Garcia would have examined that shmata and kicked Kenneth to the curb.

More Kristina and Aaron, please.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, JapMo said:

In the past, designers were not only in awe of Tim Gunn because of his reputation, they were also intimidated by him.  We've seen designers rip up an entire outfit if Tim was too critical.  Maybe it's Christian's small stature, youth, relatively short time in the industry or a combination of all three that is the problem.  Would anyone have, upon initially meeting Tim Gunn, tell him he's so cute and they'd like to date him?  

I'd like to think there was a scene we didn't see on camera after the Meg debacle when Christian announced Meg had left the competition.  Possibly Christian apologizing for inadvertently starting the whole thing about switching models, and very firmly declaring that from that point forward there would be no switching of models whatsoever, and any designer who felt their creation couldn't stand alone on the runway without gimmicks had no business being in the business, and that goes double for unprofessional behavior between contestants.  

So, IIRC way back to Christian's season, he ignored Tim Gunn's input more than once. I remember this, because I remember thinking, "Don't ignore Tim. Those who ignore Tim get aufed." Then Christian never was eliminated and eventually won. This isn't to say that Christian is wrong to ask questions about POV and design elements, because, a bow is *not* a POV, I guess I'm saying that ignoring a mentor is not always a bad thing.

I agree that flirting with Christian is just...not a good look. The closest anyone got to that with Tim Gunn was Santino doing a spot on Tim Gunn impersonation and suggesting many questionable things...and a trip to Red Lobster...which cracks me up to this day.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3