Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Dinner Party

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When Sam and Jay invite the nosy neighbors Henry and Margaret to a dinner party to woo them into allowing the bed and breakfast, the ghosts are desperately eager to be included on the guest list.

original airdate 10/21/21

• Love 1

Loved the whole running thing with "Newhart" this episode. Glad Pete was able to help Sam out with that. I also laughed at the chaotic moment between all the ghosts at the dinner party, when they began fighting with each other XD. And of course the ghosts would tell on Jay whenever he sneaks some food. Poor Jay :p.

Thor's response to Alberta's surprise at him mentioning Louis Armstrong was sweet. "You talk, I listen." :). 

Sam's outfits this episode were really cute. I loved the sweater she was wearing for the first half or so of the episode. 

• Love 17

Jay: "I'm terrified to take a shower"

Me: Yes! That's the elephant in the room, as far as I'm concerned. (bathroom? sex?!) 

I (perhaps shallowly) thought we see Rose McIver in the tub by now, but any time they want to add that scene it's okay with me.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

But if Pete died in 1985, would he know about the finale?  That aired in 1990.  

Sam having no knowledge of Newhart makes me feel old.

I would say maybe the old lady that was living in the house used to watch it, but Thor had apparently never seen TV before and they constantly need the concept of movies explained.

• Love 7

Odd that neither the Native American nor the headless ghost appeared in last night's episode.  I don't think we've seen the headless guy since the first episode.  I wonder if they're dropping the character.

I just saw on IMDB that Farnsby  was played by Mark Linn-Baker from "Perfect Strangers."  I wouldn't have recognized him in a million years!  Now I'm feeling old

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

I just saw on IMDB that Farnsby  was played by Mark Linn-Baker from "Perfect Strangers."  I wouldn't have recognized him in a million years!  Now I'm feeling old

Holy cow! I sat there the entire episode trying to figure out why he sounded/seemed so familiar, but I didn't bother go to IMDB because usually when I do that for a first-run episode of a show, the guest star list isn't there yet. Thank you for solving the mystery for me. Wow, elderly Larry. (Like I can talk, LOL.) 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

I thought there was something familiar about him, but couldn't put my finger on it.

• Love 8

Ditto. Wasn't even alive in the 80's? I feel super old.

This episode was another remake of a British one, but I think it was pretty good. Not as good as last week's, but better than the first two which were also remakes. I liked Hetty's reference to cocaine as the miracle cure-all recommended by all the barbers. And the running gag about Newhart was great.

Did he know about the finale, though? I can't remember all of what he was feeding Sam at the dinner table conversation, but it was the guest who brought up the finale before Pete started helping her. Although if Pete died in 1985 he'd have only seen the first two seasons. 

• Love 4

Okay, so I wanna say "Wouldn't you have gotten the permits before you started the work?" but that dinner party was damned funny.

43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I liked Hetty's reference to cocaine as the miracle cure-all recommended by all the barbers. And the running gag about Newhart was great.

I laughed at loud at the barbers.

Flooreos!

2 hours ago, cdnalor said:

I just saw on IMDB that Farnsby  was played by Mark Linn-Baker from "Perfect Strangers."  I wouldn't have recognized him in a million years! 

I did recognize him eventually, but it took quite awhile.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did recognize him eventually, but it took quite awhile.

I recognized him after a few minutes. I asked my wife, when did Mark L-B get old?

I never watched Perfect Strangers, but My Favorite Year is ... a favorite!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, so I wanna say "Wouldn't you have gotten the permits before you started the work?"

Probably costs big bucks to license/“permit” a commercial business, with regular inspections and regulation. I wouldn’t spend that kind of money until the work is done, staff is secured, and the hotel is ready to open the doors to the public. 

• Love 3

You really should check the zoning and know what the rules are, though, before you make major investments. But if they plan to stay whether or not they get the B&B, then doing the renovations that probably need to be done anyway is not too crazy. I've also found that newbies often have NO IDEA how small towns and rural areas operate, and will assume there is no zoning, or no permits are needed, or that they don't have to worry about what the neighbors think. HUGE mistake. But not uncommon. We had an incident where I live, where someone bought a big piece of land with a plan to open a business they thought everyone would think was a great idea, and basically everyone told them it's a terrible idea, we don't want it, and you can't do it. They acted like they had not even considered the possibility that they would not be welcomed as heroes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Daff said:

Probably costs big bucks to license/“permit” a commercial business, with regular inspections and regulation. I wouldn’t spend that kind of money until the work is done, staff is secured, and the hotel is ready to open the doors to the public. 

You actually can't wait until then for some of the permits because inspections of electrical and plumbing work have to be done while the walls are still open.  And others have to be posted on site when the work starts.  Obviously that's in real life, though, and does vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  (Can you tell I've watch too many of the home reno shows on HGTV?)

I was just referencing my getting hung up on real-life things while watching last week's episode.  It wasn't as much of an issue this week for some reason.  Maybe I ate too many Flooreos?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, cdnalor said:

...holy shit, I totally didn't realize this. Whoa. 

Add me to the list of those feeling old in regards to Sam's ignorance about "Newhart". I was just a young child in the '80s, but I'm familiar with the show. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I liked Hetty's reference to cocaine as the miracle cure-all recommended by all the barbers.

Haha, I loved that, too, especially when she and Pete started arguing over how cocaine was viewed in their respective time periods :p. 

• Love 7

The running Newhart joke was hilarious, I was also not alive in the 80s so the only thing I know about Newhart is the famous series finale. It would have been funny if Pete found out what happened in the finale and was totally shocked. This was another funny episode, I feel like the show is really starting to find its footing. I like how they handled the nosy neighbors and that the ghosts got to help out, even if poor Jay is still understandably creeped out by ghosts he cant see watching him and occasionally telling on him to Sam. 

Hetty's "miracle drug" bit was really good, four out of five barbers recommend cocaine!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Sad 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I liked Hetty's reference to cocaine as the miracle cure-all recommended by all the barbers

I think I like Hetty better than her UK counterpart. Hetty seems less brittle and stuffy. This show is really growing on me, I am glad it got a full season pickup.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Mark-Linn Baker! I totally did not recognize him until you guys pointed it out. Wow. I guess I was concentrating on whether the wife character was going to turn out to be drunk or not.

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Did he know about the finale, though? I can't remember all of what he was feeding Sam at the dinner table conversation, but it was the guest who brought up the finale before Pete started helping her. Although if Pete died in 1985 he'd have only seen the first two seasons.

Yeah, it was Farnsby who brought up the finale. He could have tripped up Sam and/or Pete if he asked her to elaborate on the finale that they had never seen, but apparently Pete provided enough obscure trivia that Farnsby was fooled. Still, if the ghosts hadn't agreed to help, Sam could have tried to quickly look up Newhart on the wikipedia if she needed some general information about plot and who the stars were. What a weird coincidence that this episode talked about Newhart, then Peter Scolari of Newhart died the next day. So sad.

Edited by Cress
  • Love 6

I didn’t have CC on and could not understand one line. When Sam dropped the wine bottle because she was handing it to the ghost, what did Jay say to try and make a joke of it in front of the neighbors?

As soon as they said “floor Oreos” I thought to myself “Flooreos!”

I recognized ML-B right away and I’ve never really been a fan of anything he’s been in. I think it was his voice and facial expressions.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I didn’t have CC on and could not understand one line. When Sam dropped the wine bottle because she was handing it to the ghost, what did Jay say to try and make a joke of it in front of the neighbors?

Family tradition!

• Love 3

I've tried, but it's just not working for me. The constant quick cuts between the ghosts being in the room when Samantha sees them to gone when Jay is the focus give me a headache. I hate all the over talking among the ghosts. It's especially unfunny when they're talking to her when she's with other living people and demanding she respond so it looks like she's "crazy" and keeps talking to air. I've never found embarrassment humor funny.

The Viking's loud story while the living at the dinner table were supposed to be having a quiet discussion was particularly grating.

Of course the asshole neighbors did something wrong (and talked about it in the "enemy camp") so that the ghosts could hear and tell Sam about it so she could use it against them. 

Didn't even realize the native American ghost wasn't there until I saw it mentioned here. That just means there are too many characters. 

Hetty's cocaine/barber joke was mildly amusing.

• Love 1

I thought it was a pretty solid adaptation of the original episode from the UK version. Most of the changes definitely worked for me.

I'll admit, though, that it kinda seemed a bit pat to me that the neighbours' comeuppance came from something the ghosts overheard at the party, and not how it happened originally. Then I remembered that Isaac said that one of the main reasons that he wanted to attend the party was to eavesdrop on the guests gossiping about the hosts when they were out of the room, which is exactly what happened. Still seemed a bit clunky, but the foreshadowing was pretty smooth.

The show's still not exactly A-tier, in my opinion, but I'm still entertained by it, and even laughed out loud a few times. So, yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep tuning in.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, SHD said:

He said it was a Woodstone family tradition. Trying to joke that she was christening the room by breaking the bottle of wine.

Also, I liked that when the ghosts said they don't want the B&B, Sam pointed out that they need to help her, otherwise she'll have to sell the house and no longer help the ghosts. That was smart of her. Even if the more bloodthirsty ghosts like Thorfinn tried to deliberately stage an accident for new owners, there's no guarantee that new owners would die for 3 minutes and come back to life. They could just die for good and ascend, not helping the ghosts at all.

Edited by Cress
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

You actually can't wait until then for some of the permits because inspections of electrical and plumbing work have to be done while the walls are still open.  And others have to be posted on site when the work starts.  Obviously that's in real life, though, and does vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  (Can you tell I've watch too many of the home reno shows on HGTV?)

I was just referencing my getting hung up on real-life things while watching last week's episode.  It wasn't as much of an issue this week for some reason.  Maybe I ate too many Flooreos?

I understand what you’re saying, but I think you’re confusing the two different types of permitting. Yes, every step of the way during construction, inspections need to be done and things like plumbing and electrical need to be approved before you can drywall and do finish work. The couple’s contractor is taking care of that now,  but these processes are not within the purview of the neighbor’s authority. He’s in charge of authorizing a business to open (although, he may choose to go to the codes office to check whether renovations were performed appropriately). Say, for example, the old house had already been a business, or if the couple had purchased commercial property, they would still need the neighbor’s approval to open their business, but no renovations (or, perhaps only superficial redecorating) would be needed. Again, my point was, why pay the expensive fees to open a business UNTIL you are ready to open?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Someone pointed out in the previous threads that there is always a jewish word or reference dropped in each episode, so I was curious to see if it was going to happen for a fourth time in a row, and then it did! I wonder what the intention is with that, since they are clearly doing it on purpose.

• Useful 5

Regarding permits, my understanding is that Sam and Jay *did* apply for the Bed & Breakfast permit, as she stated, but they hadn't yet heard whether they were approved or not. The Farnsbys then clarified that they were in charge of that permit and weren't going to grant it to them. It wasn't like Sam and Jay neglected to do the right thing. They applied for it, then unexpectedly ran into the obstacle of their neighbors. Also, how shady it was for Farnsby to say "you can make out the check to me" when he claimed it was donation to the preservation fund! If it was truly for charity, they should make the check out to the charity. The $20,000 was a totally sleazy shakedown.

Anyway, I don't see whats wrong with them asking their contractor to repair the house, while waiting for approval for their business. Even if they don't ultimately open the business, the house still would need to be fixed to be livable, or to sell to someone else if they don't stay.

Edited by Cress
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2021 at 7:57 AM, Daff said:

I understand what you’re saying, but I think you’re confusing the two different types of permitting. Yes, every step of the way during construction, inspections need to be done and things like plumbing and electrical need to be approved before you can drywall and do finish work. The couple’s contractor is taking care of that now,  but these processes are not within the purview of the neighbor’s authority. He’s in charge of authorizing a business to open (although, he may choose to go to the codes office to check whether renovations were performed appropriately). Say, for example, the old house had already been a business, or if the couple had purchased commercial property, they would still need the neighbor’s approval to open their business, but no renovations (or, perhaps only superficial redecorating) would be needed. Again, my point was, why pay the expensive fees to open a business UNTIL you are ready to open?

Where I live, it's not a good idea 

21 hours ago, Cress said:

Regarding permits, my understanding is that Sam and Jay *did* apply for the Bed & Breakfast permit, as she stated, but they hadn't yet heard whether they were approved or not. The Farnsbys then clarified that they were in charge of that permit and weren't going to grant it to them. It wasn't like Sam and Jay neglected to do the right thing. They applied for it, then unexpectedly ran into the obstacle of their neighbors.

Based on my local planning commission, it's extremely risky to begin construction to convert a private residence into a commercial business (which is what Sam & Jay are doing) without getting planning permission to do so.  If you do all the work and then are denied planning permission, you've wasted tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on construction.  It's far cheaper to get the planning permission first.  Most, if not all, of the local contractors here would refuse to begin before planning permission had been granted.  And the permits are different for residential construction here.  It may work differently in other jurisdictions; I'm just going by the process in my county.

But that wasn't actually the point of my original comment.  It was that I didn't get too hung up on the permit thing, unlike the previous week where real life considerations did reduce my enjoyment of the episode.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2021 at 12:29 AM, DanaK said:

The dinner party was hilarious. This is starting to become one of my favorite shows this season

Me too. SUPERSTORE was the only sitcom worth watching anymore and I was sad that ended (prematuraly in my opinion...it seemed to chug along fine without Amy that last season) but now I have GHOSTS to take its place.

Hope the Indian wasn't dropped with no explanation like the headless '50's dude.

• Love 6
On 10/22/2021 at 8:05 AM, nora1992 said:

Seriously! Newhart is still alive and was a recurring character on The Big Bang Theory (which went off the air in 2019!) Though immediately after this episode, we looked to see if "Newhart" was streaming anywhere, and it is NOT, though "The Bob Newhart Show" is.

And yes, that was "Cousin Larry," Mark Linn-Baker.

Also, the sixth grader in me appreciated the repeated use of the word "pickleball." (Yes, I know it is a very popular sport.

Edited by kwnyc
Additional thought
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

Seriously! Newhart is still alive and was a recurring character on The Big Bang Theory (which went off the air in 2019!) Though immediately after this episode, we looked to see if "Newhart" was streaming anywhere, and it is NOT, though "The Bob Newhart Show" is.

But the best Halloween episode ever, Take Me To Your Loudon, can be found online.

This show is growing on me;  looking forward to the mix of ghosts and modern world norms. 

• Love 3

My nitpick, and this is a common occurrence in shows about ghosts, is if the ghosts have no physical properties and normally do not interact with materials in the living world, how was it that they made impression on the couch and the cushions? Specifically we could see that the deflection on the couch when they sat there.

Also, this has been raised before, are they not supposed to be in the outfit of their death? Trevor does not wear pants, Pete has an arrow across his neck, but Isaac, Alberta, and Hetty are all in their dress clothes. If Isaac died of dysentery, he is likely to have died in his sleeping gown.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

If Isaac died of dysentery, he is likely to have died in his sleeping gown.

Isaac is the Revolutionary war guy, right?  There is no way he would have been caught dead in his sleeping gown.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 11/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, TV Anonymous said:

My nitpick, and this is a common occurrence in shows about ghosts, is if the ghosts have no physical properties and normally do not interact with materials in the living world, how was it that they made impression on the couch and the cushions? Specifically we could see that the deflection on the couch when they sat there.

I always think about this too. Not so much the impressions, but actually being able to sit on chairs or lay on a bed. Why don't they just fall right through them, when they can walk through walls and doors and people? But I get that would be super impractical for filming with real actors, especially for this type of show. It would get old seeing them only stand around. So my "explanation" is that they subconsciously act as they did when they were alive and just...hover in place when sitting. And impressions I just pretend aren't there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, redpencil said:

. It would get old seeing them only stand around.

Even standing around, wouldn't they go through the floor:)  How do they climb the stairs?

Speaking of, I went to China years ago, and there they believe that ghosts can't turn or climb steps.  No point to that, just thought you might find it interesting.

• Useful 4
On 10/22/2021 at 8:05 AM, nora1992 said:

It's possible someone who lived in the house in the 80's and 90's watched Newhart and Pete would hang in the room for that, so he's seen the whole series.  Possibly multiple times on reruns/syndication.  The old lady who died may not have had a TV, but certainly there were others living in the house at some time, and no reason to assume they wouldn't.  Although Thor sounds like he's never seen TV before, but what are the chances no one in the house had a TV since they were invented?  Theoretically, all these ghosts could/should be pop culture experts if the living had TV's on or newspapers lying about.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:14 PM, Arynm said:

I think I like Hetty better than her UK counterpart. Hetty seems less brittle and stuffy.

Could be the cocaine...  Just sayin'...

On 11/1/2021 at 2:55 PM, TV Anonymous said:

I don't want to get into show comparisons here, but the Ghosts on the UK version did briefly (very briefly) acknowledge this quirk about being able to sit, lie down, not go through floors, etc.  No explanation, just an almost breaking the 4th wall kind of acknowledgment. 

Funny episode.  I do like how Pete was really trying to go with Sam's wish that they not be at the dinner party and was totally overruled by everyone else.  And I like how Hattie made Thor the dining room bouncer. 

As to why headless guy and Sassappis were missing, according to IMDB only 3 of the ghosts are in every episode.  I'll guess budget is the overriding reason.  Or limiting the people on set if they were filming during covid times.  That may be why they strangely started construction outside, as they'd have to pay all the construction guy extras a lot more if they were in the house and seen throughout the episodes.  Or to keep extras outside for covid safety.  Could be a combo of both.  Just a thought...

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, chaifan said:

As to why headless guy and Sassappis were missing, according to IMDB only 3 of the ghosts are in every episode.  I'll guess budget is the overriding reason.  Or limiting the people on set if they were filming during covid times.  That may be why they strangely started construction outside, as they'd have to pay all the construction guy extras a lot more if they were in the house and seen throughout the episodes.  Or to keep extras outside for covid safety.  Could be a combo of both.  Just a thought...

There are definitely more than 3 in some (or most) episodes, even if not all are featured heavily. The most recent episode had 6 of them and at that point Hetty has been missing for 3 episodes in a row, and Thorfin for 2.

Edited by redpencil
Was in a different episode thread than I thought
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, redpencil said:

There are definitely more than 3 in some (or most) episodes, even if not all are featured heavily. The most recent episode had 6 of them and at that point Hetty has been missing for 3 episodes in a row, and Thorfin for 2.

Not 3 ghosts, 3 of the ghosts.   Of the 8 or so ghosts, only 3 of them appear in every episode (according to IMDB).  In this episode, 2 were missing.  It may be a different 2 next episode or just one, or whatever.  Only 3 of the actors portraying the ghosts appear in every episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Not 3 ghosts, 3 of the ghosts.   Of the 8 or so ghosts, only 3 of them appear in every episode (according to IMDB).  In this episode, 2 were missing.  It may be a different 2 next episode or just one, or whatever.  Only 3 of the actors portraying the ghosts appear in every episode. 

and just when I thought I was good at math

• LOL 2

I recognized Mark-Linn Baker immediately - been a fan since My Favorite Year.  I found the ghosts trading off helping Sam out with conversational gambits very funny especially since she had been trying to ignore them (and agree that Thor listening when Alberta talks was a lovely moment).  I am so glad I found this show.  I am trying to savor each episode while waiting for the next new one but will probably just end up binging and re-watching before the year is done. 

• Love 4

Watching the rerun last night, I want to see "Newhart" again.  I was busy being young and foolish when it was on in the 80's. I don't remember much about it. 

I really like "Ghosts"! I think it's very funny and all the actors are really engaging and so likable.  Poor Jay.  I would go nuts in that situation but he's so understanding. 

• Love 8

I liked this episode but didn't love it. I liked the lines about the Oreos and cocaine but I thought the ghosts were immature. I wouldn't have blamed Sam if she was angry with them for disrupting the dinner party. The writers did a good job connecting this episode with the finale.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, cdnalor said:

I was waiting for the TGIF/Perfect Strangers joke but alas...

I did laugh more at the "and my other brother Darryl" joke more than I should have.

• Love 2

Hetty assigning Thor to be the bouncer at the dinner party and Flower screaming that this was a non-violent protest cracked me up. 

Until they said it out loud, I didn't even think about why the dinner party would mean so much to the ghosts, and I hope that Sam and Jay can set aside a day of the week for "their" dinner where the ghosts can be invited too. Telling Jay beforehand that the ghosts will be joining them, of course :) Maybe if the ghosts got that scheduled time with Sam (and Jay) they wouldn't hound her so much on regular days and then there wouldn't even be any need for a ghost representative! 

Loved that it was all of the ghosts, collectively, helping Sam and Jay to win over the sorta-asshole neighbors and get the permits for the construction/B&B. Ghost eavesdropping came in handy!

Poor Trevor not getting invited to the dinner party based on his incomplete formal attire :( Hetty lying to him at the end to make him think he was a prominent snub was sweet. And the beginning-and-end bookmarks of Jay getting annoyed at the ghosts for telling on him for eating all the Oreos and cupcakes is awesome. Trevor better not be spying on Sam in the shower!

• Like 2