Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Viking Funeral

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When Thorfinn’s bones are discovered on the Woodstone property, he asks Sam to conduct the traditional Viking funeral he’s always wanted. However, Sam and Jay are torn when they learn that the bones could be sold to a museum for a lot of much-needed cash. Also, the ghosts conduct an election for a “ghost representative” to bring issues to Sam.

Original airdate 10/14/21

God, the ghosts' term of choice for when one's spirit crosses over...:p. 

Interesting dilemma here, with them having to choose between selling the bones versus letting Thor have the proper funeral he wanted. I am glad that Thor did get some level of peace and a sendoff in the end. I also liked Jay nodding to Sam's love of home repair reality shows.

The ghost election was fun, too - and the basement ghosts even got to participate! Alberta getting Hetty on board with the importance of letting women vote was a nice touch. Hopefully the basement ghosts can work out something to where Sam feels comfortable enough down there to talk to them when needed, though. 

• Love 16

So...about that curse? The curse can't be undone.

Hahaha, best line of the episode for me. The Viking ghost is very likeable. I was surprised when the basement ghosts didn't request the light to be turned on. I guess that was more of a one time joke for the opening episodes then.

• Love 18

I'm make a great effort not to compare the show with the original British version but I cannot help myself.  I think that I'd enjoy this version much more if I didn't love the British one so much.  Little things just get to me. These characters, especially the ghosts, just are not as likable,  The singer's (speaking) voice just gets on my nerves and the flower child is too ditzy.  The guy without pants (a stockbroker instead of a politician?) throws in one random Yiddish word per episode which bothers me (I'm Jewish so I notice that). People are supposed to be wearing what they were wearing when they died but I doubt if the colonial soldier. who smells so bad because he died of dysentery, died in a full clean uniform. Why would any rational person fix a fountain instead of a roof??????  The list goes on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I really liked this one! I was kind of disappointed in the first two, but now that they have moved past just duplicating the British episodes and are doing their own stories it seems much better. I laughed several times throughout. I loved Thorfinn calling Jay "little man" and the flashbacks were really well done. I laughed when the ship was sailing off without him and he called out "Gunnar! Ivar! Other Ivar!" 

And, OMG, they think going into the light is called being sucked off. "I'd pay to see the big guy sucked off." LOL 

Why would any rational person fix a fountain instead of a roof??????  

Yeah, that did kind of bug me. I wonder where that house really is. You could see that the roof really does look like it's in bad shape outside.

• Love 16
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

So... the basement ghosts are able to go upstairs, and they are CHOOSING to stay in the basement?

Maybe because they know they aren't welcome? Maybe if they smelled better...

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Maybe because they know they aren't welcome? Maybe if they smelled better...

Maybe Sam should buy them cases of Febreze and they can sniff it??

Edited by Rebky
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

That was driving me crazy. The guests might like the fountain, but they are not going to be happy when the roof leaks. It's just utterly crazy. Maybe they are trying to establish that Rose McIver's character IS crazy. I really don't want that to be the direction, where she's impractical and he's the long suffering guy who enables her.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Don't tell them, let me have this!" 

This episode was really fun, its sort shook off some of the awkward pilot issues that many shows have and is starting to get into its groove. I liked getting some of Thor's backstory, and while he didn't get sucked off (snicker) he did really appreciate finally getting his Viking funeral after a thousand years. The dilemma itself was pretty interesting, I can certainly imagine finding thousand year old Viking bones would be a big deal, too bad they couldn't keep a few, but its nice that they tried to help Thor. I wonder what is actually keeping the ghosts around? Maybe Thor needs to find out why the other Vikings ditched him? 

I guess the basement ghosts could leave the basement if they wanted to, just they choose not to because they smell awful and no one wants them around. At least one of them got the dark horse victory in the ghost election, even if Sam is really not into hanging out in the basement. I liked the ghost election and the talk between Hettie and Alberta about woman getting the right to vote, while the ghosts are still pretty broad and wacky they are starting to develop more layers. "I don't even think I'm getting the vapors." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13

My guess, based on other stories about ghosts, is that the ghosts stay around due to unfinished business. This episode kind of reinforced that assumption, as it did look like he was going to ... I refuse to say it... ascend until they interrupted the funeral. This does pose a dilemma, though. If the ghosts complete their stories, they will exit the show. But if they don't, it's kind of stagnant. And with the plot of what's her name writing their stories, she would probably, in the course of doing that, help them finish up what they've been lingering for, so... I don't know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I binged the UK version a few weeks ago and loved it. I'm enjoying this one as well. The first 2 episodes were a little too close to the UK version, so I'm glad this ep was different. And it would have to be since some of the ghosts are different. 

Choosing to help Thor was nice, instead of selling his bones. I'm thinking finding out why he was abandoned is his unfinished business. 

Obviously the older ghosts would not know what the term the are using when someone ascends means in modern terms and stockbroker bro would not tell them so he could have fun with it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I binged the UK version a few weeks ago and loved it. I'm enjoying this one as well. The first 2 episodes were a little too close to the UK version, so I'm glad this ep was different. And it would have to be since some of the ghosts are different. 

Choosing to help Thor was nice, instead of selling his bones. I'm thinking finding out why he was abandoned is his unfinished business. 

Obviously the older ghosts would not know what the term the are using when someone ascends means in modern terms and stockbroker bro would not tell them so he could have fun with it. 

It reminds me of the scene in Kate and Leopold where they were dedicating the new Brooklyn Bridge, and the speaker at the ceremony proclaimed, "Behold, rising before you, the greatest erection on the continent! The greatest erection of the age! The greatest erection on the planet!".  Liev Schreiber, the character who traveled back in time, snickered loudly in the crowd of onlookers.

Edited by Rebky
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

"Look up how my stocks did since I died. Circuit City,Enron and Blockbuster were my big three!"

"...other Ivar!"

This show makes me laugh out loud...love it! Brilliant writing and great intelligent comedy so in other words....

It can't last.

P.S. Headless 50's biker dropped after the pilot? Maybe he used up  his joke and there was no where to go with the characters but strange he should vanish without even a mention of possibly getting "sucked off".

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

as it did look like he was going to ... I refuse to say it... ascend until they interrupted the funeral.

I thought those were the headlights all along and they misinterpreted.  I was also hoping he would cross over (I refuse to say it also).

So, I don't know if I've totally missed it, but what's up with the boy scout ghost?  He's too old to be a boy scout. How did he get shot with an arrow?  I really need to know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So, I don't know if I've totally missed it, but what's up with the boy scout ghost?  He's too old to be a boy scout. How did he get shot with an arrow?  I really need to know.

Pete the overly upbeat '80s scout troop leader (Richie Moriarty) the self-appointed activities director and was killed when accidentally shot through the neck with an arrow while teaching archery to his son’s Scout troop.

• Useful 4
  • Love 11

I think the show benefits from having a bigger budget than the British version. The special effects are really quite good, like Thor trying to strangle "little man" and his arms going right through him. 

• Love 11

I'm enjoying this show greatly and it continues to amuse me. I like that it's not too complicated. I usually get a few laughs in and I think the cast is great.  

I'm wondering what happened to Thorfinn's armour as I'm sure that would have also sold for a pretty penny. 

And I agree with everyone who said fixing a fountain over a roof makes no sense. I found the whole exchange annoying and was mad Sam's husband lost the fight, heh. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, North of Eden said:

P.S. Headless 50's biker dropped after the pilot? Maybe he used up  his joke and there was no where to go with the characters but strange he should vanish without even a mention of possibly getting "sucked off".

I, too, wondered where the beheaded 50s guy went.  At least let us know that he ascended.

• Love 4
On 10/15/2021 at 10:49 AM, ShelleySue said:

I haven't gone back and rewatched so maybe I'm off base here, but maybe the roof and other repairs were already in the budget that they got the loans for, and being able to fix the fountain was more of an extra that they could use the windfall for...?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I haven't gone back and rewatched so maybe I'm off base here, but maybe the roof and other repairs were already in the budget that they got the loans for, and being able to fix the fountain was more of an extra that they could use the windfall for...?

Makes sense, and maybe because I hate paying interest, but maybe put that money towards paying off the loan?  Extras come after.

Still enjoying this show.  Forgot about the headless guy.  Agree they should have done something to show he resolved his issue keeping him here and getting sucked off.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think the whole debate: fountain vs. roof is to demonstrate just how clueless this couple is about their pipe dream. Naturally, this will lead to many more opportunities for humor. Liken it to that old show, “Renovation Realities”! I like that the show has some heart, otherwise, they would have sold the bones to accomplish their goals. This, too, will lend itself to more humorous moments. 

• Love 6

If they were smart they would have put the bones into a flame retardant bag, had the Viking Funeral, then after the Viking got sucked off, sold the bones to a museum after getting as much information as they could about the Viking's family history, life, and what Vikings were doing in America.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 10/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, Katy M said:

Scout Leaders also wear uniforms

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Seems like most enjoyed that this episode deviated from the script of the British one, but I thought it highlighted some writing weaknesses. Still had some good lines, but it felt a little off to me.

The hippie chick ghost has to go. 

On 10/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, SHD said:

Agreed. I am watching the UK and US versions at the same time. She strikes me as the worst ghost in both shows. 

• Love 3

I liked the episode, but yeah, they should have said "fix the septic system" instead of "fix the fountain." That way it would sound just as practical as fixing the roof, and it would still lead to the contractors digging in the ground for pipes. After all, in the pilot, Jay had said that the tap water was gross, so they should definitely see what's making the water gross.

I did like the election and the confirmation that the basement ghosts can come upstairs if they want to. The viking funeral was cool.

• Love 10
On 10/19/2021 at 7:10 PM, LisaM said:
On 10/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, SHD said:

Agreed. I am watching the UK and US versions at the same time. She strikes me as the worst ghost in both shows. 

I third that.  I think it would've been much more of a hoot to maybe have had a young backup musician to one of the Woodstock bands having died. Then he can have Sam look up all the music over the decades since he died.  "What's a Nirvana?"  That would be a hoot

On 10/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, iMonrey said:

Turns out the "sucked off" thing was taken from the British version.

Sucked 'up' would've made more sense, but doesn't provide the 12-year old snicker

On 10/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

I, too, wondered where the beheaded 50s guy went.  At least let us know that he ascended.

I totally forgot about him.  He can't do much without his head, dead or not, could he?  

On 10/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, North of Eden said:

"Look up how my stocks did since I died. Circuit City,Enron and Blockbuster were my big three!"

"...other Ivar!"

As someone whose 20s were in the 1980s, I love all these references back to the decade of big hair and greed.  Wait till pants-less guy finds out Trump was president!  Or Alberta finding out an African American was president.    And the 'Ivar!  Other Ivar!" made me think of Ivar The Boneless on Vikings

What I do find a little out of sorts is the Native American's dialect/voice inflection.  It's more  like some Silicon Valley college dude.  

At the end - was that the police dept or fire dept that showed up to warn them to put the fire out?  Because if it wasn't the fire dept, where did that far-spewing hose suddenly show up from and exactly how long was it to reach from the house spigot to the lake/pond?

• Hugs 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, ctlady said:
On 10/16/2021 at 12:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

I totally forgot about him.  He can't do much without his head, dead or not, could he?  

Yeah, but we could see his body wandering around or occasionally hear commentary from his head. I do wonder if he'll show up again. They ought to at least explain how he got beheaded. In the promos for the show, that ghost was called Crash, which implies a car crash maybe. But how does a car crash cause a beheading?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Cress said:

ut how does a car crash cause a beheading?

A sharp object flying at high speeds off the back of a truck and through your windshield could probably do it. Might not even have to be sharp.  Speed and heavy weight.  Maybe better if he was on a motorcycle because then there wouldn't be a windshield slowing it down.

• Love 3

I must not have been in the right mood when I watched this episode because despite loving Thor and finding the election stuff very funny, I spent a good bit of the half hour saying things like "Nobody's going to care about a stupid fountain when the roof starts leaking" and "It's illegal to buy and sell human remains".

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Cress said:

Yeah, but we could see his body wandering around or occasionally hear commentary from his head. I do wonder if he'll show up again.

It's a big house. He's probably in one of the back rooms, trying to get his body to pick his head up.

Spoiler

If he's anything like Sir Humphrey from the British series, his head is probably being left in the oddest places.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Oh I didn't know that about Jayne Mansfield. Yeah, I guess you guys are right. The headless ghost could be a James Dean type who got decapitated in some kind of crash. I just kind of want to see him again to know that the actor wasn't cut from the show, even if he's only recurring.

• Love 3
On 10/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, seacliffsal said:

Too bad they can't find other viking artifacts to sell as they used the bones for the viking funeral.

I thought that would happen at the end.  Thor would point out his helmet or armor or something.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

He's still wandering around looking for his head.  Could he pick it up if he tripped over it?

• Love 1
On 10/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, Annber03 said:

My wife and I were giggling like sixth graders.

And Hell YEAH, the VIkings were here before Columbus. (Not to mention St. Brendan the Navigator...) ;-)

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

What I want to know is how did Headless Guy get decapitated near enough the house to haunt it?

How did hippie girl get hugged by a bear close enough to the house to haunt it?

• Love 3

I didn't realize I had missed this episode and just watched it.

Since the funeral pyre got doused, I assume they might still find a Viking bone or two for a future plot point of cash crunch.

Another cause of highway decapitation is a moose--car collision, but not motorcycle.

• Love 2