Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Viking Funeral

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 10/21/2021 at 7:27 AM, Cress said:

But how does a car crash cause a beheading?

We don't see the same kinds of injuries we used to see before the use of seatbelts for front seat passengers and shatterproof windshields became commonplace. Beheading, blinding, degloving and other injuries resulting from large glass shards were unfortunately fairly common when the car's unprotected occupant went through the windshield.  

• Useful 3

I am a late comer to watching this show but have really been enjoying it.  I have heard about the British version before but hadn't gotten around to watching it.  I understand fans of the British one not warming to this (I loved the British Office and took forever to get with the American version) and I do still plan to watch British Ghosts.

However I am finding these characters intriguing and appreciate that different ghosts take the lead at different times.  I already find myself rewatching episodes to look for little moments of dialogue and visuals.  In this episode, Thor getting struck by lightening and watching the ship leave were great to see and the "other Ivar" line made me laugh out loud. 

• Love 4

I went streaming only last fall, and although I was intrigued by this I didn’t get a chance to watch weekly. The votes for it in the Primetimer awards made me commit to Paramount+ (for at least a while) so I could stream it. 

It is really hard to hit a funeral pyre!

I am really liking the ensemble cast and the easy nature of the show. I liked Rose’s work on iZombie so I know she will be quite funny and charming here. 

I might treat it like I did The Wonder Years and watch an episode or two an evening after work. 

• Love 6
On 7/17/2022 at 5:01 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I went streaming only last fall, and although I was intrigued by this I didn’t get a chance to watch weekly. The votes for it in the Primetimer awards made me commit to Paramount+ (for at least a while) so I could stream it. 

I just started to watch this as well.  I wanted to watch it once I saw that it turned out to be a bit of a hit for a new show and it wasn't in the mockumentary format. 

I didn't love the first episode but now that they've gotten past the setup, this has started to gel nicely.

The only thing that throws me is some of the things that the ghosts don't know that I'm pretty sure they would have been exposed to before these two moved in.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The only thing that throws me is some of the things that the ghosts don't know that I'm pretty sure they would have been exposed to before these two moved in.

The conceit is that until a "living" who could see and communicate with the ghosts moved in, the ghosts' knowledge was limited to the experiences of their own. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The conceit is that until a "living" who could see and communicate with the ghosts moved in, the ghosts' knowledge was limited to the experiences of their own. 

But people lived there.  They might not have been able to communicate with the woman who died in the first episode but surely they observed her talking about movies or watching Jeopardy! on her TV? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But people lived there.  They might not have been able to communicate with the woman who died in the first episode but surely they observed her talking about movies or watching Jeopardy! on her TV? 

Maybe. IDK. Too bad we didn't get an exchange between Sam & Jay about how weird it was that the house had never before been wired for cable.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2022 at 5:01 PM, Scarlett45 said:

It is really hard to hit a funeral pyre!

It was Jay who shot it, right?  Maybe he practiced it on a video game.  I’m sure the skills are transferable.

• LOL 6

I can't even decide which moment of the whole "sucked off" scene was better - Hetty, Sass, and Flower using it in sentences without having a clue to the current connotation, Trevor's head-shake to Sam muttering not to tell them, this is the only thing he has, or Sam's reluctance to say that specific wording in front of Jay. (Speaking of Trevor, uh, we learned this week he wasn't the best stockbroker, hah.) 

"Oooh, I wonder if it dried lighter!" Hee. Loved the ghosts all filing into the kitchen to watch Sam and Jay argue fountain vs roof and Alberta taking it upon herself to do play-by-play of the argument. Sorry, Sam, but I'm Team Jay on that one. A new roof probably does cost more than a fancy fountain but if the roof ever leaks you and Jay are going to have to redo the entire downstairs if not the entire house and that's going to cost you more than a roof AND a fountain.

Team Jay x2 for almost immediately giving up the idea of selling the bones to the museum(s) so Thor can have the Viking funeral he wanted so badly. It's kind of adorable how Jay ends up getting so into this stuff despite himself. Loved his excitement at getting to shoot off the arrow, and Pete giving him directions. (Though Flower's comment about how they might not want to trust Pete's instructions on that...wasn't wrong XD)

Did Thor die from the lightening strike or by being abandoned on an island by his shipmates?

Seeing the "previously on..." reminded me that apparently Sam can see all ghosts now, not just the ones in the mansion, and I want to know how the ghost doctor she saw last week died, the one that lives in the cabinet of his office :p. 

P.S. - "I was at the Declaration of Independence!" / "No you weren't!" / "I was outside!" XD. Snort-laugh. 

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

"Oooh, I wonder if it dried lighter!" Hee. Loved the ghosts all filing into the kitchen to watch Sam and Jay argue fountain vs roof and Alberta taking it upon herself to do play-by-play of the argument. Sorry, Sam, but I'm Team Jay on that one. A new roof probably does cost more than a fancy fountain but if the roof ever leaks you and Jay are going to have to redo the entire downstairs if not the entire house and that's going to cost you more than a roof AND a fountain.

LOL, yep, you seem to be in agreement with pretty much everyone in the fandom on that one :D. Fountains are indeed lovely, but roofs? Those are kind of important if you want, like, shelter and stuff :p.

Team Jay x2 for almost immediately giving up the idea of selling the bones to the museum(s) so Thor can have the Viking funeral he wanted so badly. It's kind of adorable how Jay ends up getting so into this stuff despite himself.

Mmhm. This is one of the many reasons Jay is so awesome <3 :). 

Did Thor die from the lightening strike or by being abandoned on an island by his shipmates?

The lightning strike, though, that does pose an interesting question: if his shipmates had stayed behind and been able to tend to him after he got hit, maybe he could've lived? Mind, I don't know what kind of treatment, if any, would've been available for something like that in Thor's day, but still..

P.S. - "I was at the Declaration of Independence!" / "No you weren't!" / "I was outside!" XD. Snort-laugh. 

LOL. Isaac is so desperate to want to be part of the cool crowd, I love it. I love that whole election subplot. And I always laugh at Isaac's reaction when he realizes that one of the cholera ghosts is actually the winner: "Mmhm, yeah, democracy is dead, it's a flawed system..." *Sulks and walks away* XD. 

• Like 2

"Other Ivar" had me laughing far harder than it had any right to.  Same with the list of Trevor's main stocks -- Circuit City, Enron, and Blockbuster.

My favorite part of all the "sucked off" jokes is the actor's delivery when Trevor begs Sam not to tell them -- "This is all I have".

I got a good laugh at Hetty thinking she might be getting the vapors at having used her female brain to vote, but then, no, she's good.

I also loved Thor saying this would typically be the time for an orgy, but an orgy without mead is awkward.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5