Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

2/5. Its actually an improvement despite a really stressful week. I'm finally home from the hospital after 63 days!

I can bring take out, since that's all we seem to be eating immediately.

Wow. That is a really a long time. But if you got effective post-op physical therapy, it was worth it!

And any virtual food I bring here is take-out. 😉

• Love 3

Week ending 5/27:

3/5 again. Started the week out so well but then came geography and sports.

I had a lot of sugar this afternoon so I'll bring a three-cheese veggie lasagna to balance it out a bit.

image.thumb.png.d42676fa0f32fbf6ffbd1d09a5a7e03b.png

(Damn, I wish I had some of that in real life.)

• Love 3

Week 37:  2/5

Today ended up being a J! Archive game for me and not by choice. I turned on our local NBC affiliate with about a minute to go in Wheel Of Fortune, a couple of commercials and then the screen froze with a photo of the local NBC weatherman on it. Stayed frozen for about 7 minutes and then joined the Jeopardy! game in progress,  except it was yesterday's game! 😠 Not a great start to the holiday weekend.

I did get today's FJ correct though, so that made missing today's game a bit better. 🙂

• Love 2

I had to watch today (Friday) on YouTube because I was babysitting a very grumpy 5-month-old man (but very adorable too).

I incorrectly guessed Tom Brady for FJ. In my mind, that's pretty close, but not enough to get credit.
OTOH, on Thursday, I had Adriatic and Black instead of Adriatic and Baltic. 
Does that give me a half point for our contest here? 

I did get Infamy on Wednesday, so my score for
Week 38 is
  either:
  or:
     1½

For the privilege of spending time with my grandbaby👶, my daughter and son-in-law paid me in Trader Joe's Mini 70% Cacao dark Chocolate Bars, which I am virtually sharing:
61621lngfEL._SL1001_.jpg

So. 
Did I earn one bar or 1½ bars? 😁

• Love 6

2/5 w/* I did get half of Thursday (guessed Baltic & Black Seas), so 2.5/5?

I guessed Stuart instead of Bruce & had no idea for Friday.

Looks like I need to make a trip to Trader Joe’s! 
I’ve been craving peaches like mad, so I’ll bring peach cobbler. 

• Love 3

Week 41 2/5, no*

YTD: 86/185  6*, 1R*, 6A*, 2M*

Ryan has had 4 * Final Jeopardys. Of those, I answered one correctly. Therefore, I'm claiming one Ryan FJ asterisk, similar to what we did with Matt and Amy.

• Love 2
(edited)
31 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 41 2/5, no*

YTD: 86/185  6*, 1R*, 6A*, 2M*

Ryan has had 4 * Final Jeopardys. Of those, I answered one correctly. Therefore, I'm claiming one Ryan FJ asterisk, similar to what we did with Matt and Amy.

I guess that would be a:
   Ryansterisk
😉

Did Mattea have FJ asterisks?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Did Mattea have FJ asterisks?

I looked it up (I use J-archive), and she had seven. of which two I knew.

Jonathan Fisher, the other 10+ day champion for this season, had four FJ asterisks, of which I knew one.

So my adjusted score would be:

YTD: 86/185  6*, 1R*, 2MR*, 6A*, 1F*, 2M*

Too many asterisks? I was using 10+ games as my threshold, but maybe I should increase it to 20. That would include Matt, Amy, and Mattea. So that would make the asterisks for me:

YTD: 86/185  6*, 2MR*, 6A*, 2M*

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 2

3/5 (or 3.5/5 if Baltic Sea had counted), 1 *, 1 R*.
For lunch I had a delightful falafel wrap with tzatziki. Bringing makings to spread the joy of this summery treat.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sadly, 1/5 this week. Oh well, them's the breaks.

How about a stash of single serving ice creams? That'll take the edge off.

image.thumb.png.36f78fa8086f7651366413ac731f314a.png

Ooh, I'll take Chocolate Fudge Brownie!

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/25/2022 at 4:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

Wow. That is a really a long time. But if you got effective post-op physical therapy, it was worth it!

And any virtual food I bring here is take-out. 😉

It was good physical therapy, and continues at home. I'm homebound for two months and trying to adjust to being in a wheelchair at home. But at least no one will interfere with my Jeopardy! watching!

I got polio on Monday and Adriatic on Thursday, so is that a half? 1/5 but I did get an *.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have spent the week in NYC and have had to do the games by archive, but my score is 3/5*

I will bring the good pretzels for everyone. Mustard optional. 

Ooh, while you're at the good pretzel 🥨 cart, would you please grab us a few Sabrett "dirty water" dogs? 🌭 I can find Sabrett natural casing hot dogs here in the south, but it's still not the same as getting one (or three!) from a NYC street vendor. 🙂

• Love 1

WEEK 37 • May 23, 2022 — TWO asterisk *  
* 180. Medicine. Post-this disease syndrome affects many survivors, of which the U.S. is estimated to have 300,000, the vast majority over 65. *
181. The Middle Ages. It was the surname of the 2 Scottish brothers who claimed monarchies of 2 different countries in the 13-teens.
182. Famous Speeches. In a draft of FDR’s speech of December 8, 1941, the words “world history” were changed to this one word.
* 183. Historic Geography. A 1946 speech declared the terminuses of the Iron Curtain to be port cities serving these 2 seas.  *
184. Sports & Entertainment. In 2021 this Hall of Fame athlete launched Omaha Productions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

1/5. Never heard of post-Polio syndrome. If I hadn't gotten hung up on that, and paid more attention to the 'over 65' part of the clue, I may have gotten a *. 

• Love 2
On 5/29/2022 at 7:23 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I have spent the week in NYC and have had to do the games by archive, but my score is 3/5*

I will bring the good pretzels for everyone. Mustard optional. 

I need to edit my score. It is still 3/5, but I got two asterisks! 
Thanks PB&J for posting the questions, as I had forgotten. 

On 5/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, ProudMary said:

Ooh, while you're at the good pretzel 🥨 cart, would you please grab us a few Sabrett "dirty water" dogs? 🌭 I can find Sabrett natural casing hot dogs here in the south, but it's still not the same as getting one (or three!) from a NYC street vendor. 🙂

Sure thing. They are every bit as good as you remember them 😊🥨

• Love 2

Week thirty-seven: two of five with the post-polio asterisk.

I think we need a Memorial Day barbecue! And as the resident West Virginian, I'll bring the sauce and slaw.

(Traditional West Virginia hot dogs are served with sauce, essentially a very smooth chili without the beans, and coleslaw. On the hot dogs! Mustard, chopped onions, and relish are all optional.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I was in Maine, I tried to order a "slaw dog" - they'd never heard of it. I had to get slaw on the side & make it myself.

So, j5cochran, have you been to Hillbilly Hotdogs in Lesage?  https://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/

Is the Pope Catholic? Of course, I've been to Hillbilly Hotdogs. It's about a 15-minute drive from my home. The food is great (assuming that you like hotdogs!), and the décor is decidedly eclectic. Dining inside an old yellow school bus is a unique experience!

(To be perfectly honest, I hate slaw on my dogs. I want it on the side, assuming it's crunchy and not too soupy!)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

3.5 with 1.5* - I had another strong start, slow ending week.  It took me a minute but I got to Polio in time - a long time family friend got Polio as a young adult and so I learned about the syndrome.  Thanks to lots of recent Prime/Britbox watching, Bruce was right at the front of my brain.  Infamy was an Instaget.  I got Baltic right away but came nowhere near Adriatic while cycling through the possible seas in my mind.  No clue for Friday - didn't even come up with a guess.

Mother Grundoon's go-to family holiday gathering dish is a big pot of baked beans so I will offer up those for this week. 

• Love 3

Memorial Day isn’t a big holiday here in New Orleans; Mardi Gras seems to have taken its place. Schools and non-federal government businesses are open. We even had trash pick-up yesterday. It wasn’t until I moved out of state when I was 21 that I realized it was a holiday elsewhere. But I did get married Memorial Day weekend 1993. So yesterday we had our usual Monday night dinner of Chik-fil-A. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

An even sadder 0/5 for me.

ETA: Although, that DOES mean doughnuts...

0/5 for me too.   
Happy to both lower the curve and offer company to those in misery, ‘cause “misery loves company.” 😝

50 years ago I worked the night shift in a donut place and delighted those with whom I shared a kitchen by bringing home free “day olds” that were more like just half-day olds at 8am.

But 50 years is a long time, so, sure, pass me a donut, 🍩 @Prevailing Wind.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I’ve been away and did a lot on the archives, but got 2/5 this week so I’m offering apple pie and vanilla ice cream. I might have gotten a asterisk, and may amend later to include after I see what PB&J posts. 

4E13B45E-C3AD-4D7C-B74B-369961A36592.jpeg.b63e48625ed6f9deefaf66910a94c104.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 3

2/5 + 1 *.  Bringing Waldorf salad.

(I accidentally posted this in the Season 38 thread and couldn't find a way to edit it, so I'm just adding it here. Browncoat, thank you for the fire!)

• Like 2
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)

2/5 

Guessed Desmond Tutu for Monday, couldn’t come up with anything for Tuesday, and guessed Waterloo for Wednesday. I knew Thursday & it’s part of my travel bucket list. Didn’t know Friday for sure but couldn’t think of anything besides telegraph. 

New reactions! Doesn’t take much to make me happy these days 🤩

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

1/5

I thought for sure I was going to be skunked this week.  I was 0/4 and Friday's category of Technology did not bode well.  Luckily it was an easy FJ.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

1/5

I thought for sure I was going to be skunked this week.  I was 0/4 and Friday's category of Technology did not bode well.  Luckily it was an easy FJ.

It should have been easy for me, but I was so sleepy that I didn't realize how sleepy I was. 
Should've watched it on YouTube this morning.
But at least now I have a good excuse for missing it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2