Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 35: 1/5 

I was saved from another Zero by pulling Antietam out of the junk drawer of my mind because it was the puzzle piece that locked-in to rhyme with " too slow to beat 'em" (Wednesday).

More celery sticks, but this week with cream cheese and paprika like Mom used to do.

• Love 4

4/5.  I figured today's was in Atlanta but I've never been near there.

We're about to get hot weather so I'll bring snow cones for Citizen Kane.

• Love 4

WEEK 34 • May 2, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
165. Theater. In November 1864 John Wilkes Booth & his brothers were fittingly part of a performance of this Shakespeare play.
166. National Anthems. “Terre de nos aïeux” follows the title in the French version of this anthem.
167. The Civil War. A Union soldiers’ song said Gen. McClellan, who let a Confederate army escape after this battle, “was too slow to beat ’em.”
168. 20th Century Cinema. A black & white newsreel in this film begins: “In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree.”
169. USA. These 2 mayors gave their names to a facility built on the site of an old racetrack owned by Coca-Cola magnate Asa Candler. 

• Love 2

Week thirty-four: Three of five! I nailed the first three days and then fell apart. And I've flown into and through Hartsfield-Jackson Airport dozens of times. Argh!

It's Kentucky Derby Weekend, and I'm fixing Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders for the crew coming over to watch the race. (I'll make an extra pan full for the table for three.) Then we're going to watch Spiderman: No Way Home before heading out next week to see the new Doctor Strange movie. I need to brush up on my popular culture. (Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...)

image.thumb.png.743eba710ce350ebcdb8f9f129defbf7.png

• Love 6
23 hours ago, j5cochran said:

It's Kentucky Derby Weekend, and I'm fixing Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders for the crew coming over to watch the race.

Most.Exciting.Derby.Finish.EVAH! I never passed up a chance for a Hot Brown in L'ville or a meal at Lynn's Paradise Cafe (RIP, sadly).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Most.Exciting.Derby.Finish.EVAH! I never passed up a chance for a Hot Brown in L'ville or a meal at Lynn's Paradise Cafe (RIP, sadly).

It's like I have a twin! I've only been to Louisville once, but sought out a Hot Brown, and had lunch at Lynn's Paradise Cafe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

3/5 or 3.5 if I get partial credit for Hartsfield on Friday 😉Missed the Civil War FJ which was absolutely no surprise whatsoever. 
In honor of O Canada & Mattea I will bring Nanaimo Bars. 

• Love 3

4/5 - thought I was on a roll to a perfect week but of course pride goeth before the fall and I got caught in a whirlwind of trying to remember the name added to Hartsfield airport and running out of time (shows how long it has been since I flew through there). 

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday were Instagets in the weird wheelhouse of my knowledge thanks to a love of old movies, many Shakespeare productions at Stratford, Ontario and many renditions of O, Canada at joint Detroit/Windsor fireworks. 

Antietam took me a minute (because I didn't associate it immediately with the song) but I got there by remembering long ago battlefield visits with Parental Grundoons.  Antietam is quietly but deeply moving and impressive if you know the history of the battle.  (Also I will never forget an argument at a charity team trivia competition years ago due to a poorly worded question about Civil War casualties/bloodiest day where the judges wanted Gettysburg as the answer and representatives of several teams argued strenuously that it should be Antietam - it was pre-Google days so we got outvoted - my team was irked with me 🤣)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Antietam took me a minute (because I didn't associate it immediately with the song) but I got there by remembering long ago battlefield visits with Parental Grundoons.  Antietam is quietly but deeply moving and impressive if you know the history of the battle.  (Also I will never forget an argument at a charity team trivia competition years ago due to a poorly worded question about Civil War casualties/bloodiest day where the judges wanted Gettysburg as the answer and representatives of several teams argued strenuously that it should be Antietam - it was pre-Google days so we got outvoted - my team was irked with me 🤣)

Reading this👆 finally reminded me of how I knew "Antietam" beyond it rhyming with the line ending "was too slow to beat 'em" of a song I'd never heard.
Antietam has been mentioned more than once on Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s Finding Your Roots on PBS. I think I've read or heard of it in similar articles or shows that distill history for the general public, but I'm pretty sure it's mentioned routinely on Finding Your Roots.

Even when I was young I was never good at memorizing names and places and dates beyond long enough to get a good grade on a test.

During most of Jeopardy! my inward responses are something like: Oh yeah. That thing that happened back then. Or: Oh yeah. That animal that does that thing in that part of the world.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

1/5 Thank you, Australia.

I will bring stick like food for all to share: bread sticks, carrot sticks, celery sticks, pretzel sticks and whatever other "sticks" I can think of.

• Love 5
(edited)

Week 35: 1/5. (Plus *)

My only correct answer was Clemenza and in his honor, I'll bring cannoli to the table. 

Edited to add: I just saw @PBnJay 's recap post and I'd forgotten that my one correct response was a TS, so I'm adding the asterisk. 

Edited by ProudMary
See above.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

Week ending May (Friday the) 13th

I have a perfect score this week: 0/5

I will bring this adorable circle of Highland Coo cupcakes. I think it will be more than enough for everyone because they are too cute to eat.

0u1x8vvd4jw81.jpg

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Week ending May (Friday the) 13th

I have a perfect score this week: 0/5

I will bring this adorable circle of Highland Coo cupcakes. I think it will be more than enough for everyone because they are too cute to eat.

0u1x8vvd4jw81.jpg

I LOVE these cupcakes!  

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Trey said:

I will bring stick like food for all to share: bread sticks, carrot sticks, celery sticks, pretzel sticks and whatever other "sticks" I can think of.

Same! And same thought process you posted on the main thread. :-)

• Love 3

3/5 + 1* for Monday.  From the year 1929 I figured the author was Hemingway or Faulkner. I don't like to read their work but I know some titles, and "A Farewell to Arms" sounded appropriate.

Bringing German potato salad for George II.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Trey said:

1/5 thank you Hamilton. (not really...lol)

In honor of Germany, I'll bring sausages.

• LOL 2

WEEK 35 • May 9, 2022 — TWO asterisk *  
* 170. Novel Titles. A 1590 poem written for the retirement of Queen Elizabeth’s champion knight shares its title with this 1929 novel by an American.  *
171. Live Music. These 2 events held 2 1/2 months & 2,500 miles apart in 1999 were the last of one major music happening & the first of another.
* 172. Say It In Italian. It’s an Italian word for “mercy”, but also the name of a movie character who kills Stracci & Carlo.  *
173. Constitutions of the World. Amendments to its 1901 constitution require approval of at least 4 states before receiving Royal Assent.
174. State Names. This state was named for a man born in Herrenhausen Palace in Hanover in 1683.

Highland Cows!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, PBnJay said:

* 172. Say It In Italian. It’s an Italian word for “mercy”, but also the name of a movie character who kills Stracci & Carlo.  *

It took me this long to connect the name Clemenza with "clemency" - duh.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It took me this long to connect the name Clemenza with "clemency" - duh.

Part of the problem was that I kept thinking of clementines (my favorite fruit) and wondering what that had to do with mercy. 😂

• LOL 1