Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, Driad said:

4/5.  Monday I waffled between Showboat and Porgy & Bess, but my waffle landed butter side down.  I'll bring waffles, but not that one.

That may be one of the best comments I've seen. "Waffle" has never been so vivid to me before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

WEEK 44 • July 11, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
215. Musical Theater. It’s one of the most revived shows in Broadway history & in 2001 it was designated the state opera of South Carolina.
216. Pairs in Astronomy. Discovered in 1877, they were named for siblings of the Greek god of love.
217. State Mottos. This motto is the name of a city in that state & is a famous quote by an ancient Greek from the 3rd century B.C.
218. The 20th Century. Maybe surprisingly, in 1918 this new leader was the first to recognize the independence of Finland.
219. More than One Meaning. Its definitions include containing the metallic element no. 22, pertaining to a group of Greek gods & having great strength or size.

• Thanks 2

3/5 - Broadway Musicals are definitely in my wheelhouse so Monday was an Instaget.  Russian/Soviet history was a fascination for awhile so I got Lenin very quickly and Eureka popped into my brain on the second read through of the clue.  

Clearly scientific areas definitely are not a strong suit for me and while I thought I had a decent working knowledge of Greek mythology, I learned it was not enough to bail me out this week for astronomy and elements. 

I'll bring loads of Michigan cherries for no other reason than they are in season and that is when you should just eat them like candy. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

Week ending July 22:

3/5 (missed Wed and Fri)

I was craving hot dogs this week for some reason. I don't even really like hot dogs that much. But I bought some so I'll bring 'em.

• Like 4
(edited)

3/5.  For this hot weather, bringing makings for lime rickey.  Raspberry and alcohol optional.

Is next week the last week of the season and the FJ contest?

Hoping Saber will return soon!

Edited by Driad
  • Love 3

WEEK 45 • July 18, 2022 — ONE asterisk *  
220. Art & Theatre. Asked to design a new set for a restaging of this 1952 play, Alberto Giacometti came up with one scraggly plaster tree.
221. Opera. An aria from this opera says, “Put on your costume & apply make-up to your face. The people pay & they want to laugh.”
222. Historic American Roads. Originally a Native American trail, the Dutch made it a main road & today it runs 33 miles from State Street to Sleepy Hollow.
223. Constellations. The brightest star of this constellation is Deneb Algedi, or “Kid’s Tail.”
* 224. Inaugural Balls. At the 1993 Tennessee inaugural ball, Paul Simon performed this song, his most recent Top 40 hit. *

I'm trying to force Saber to come back, she has to for the last week to figure out contest winners and get prizes awarded. I am not doing that, even though I dropped out of the contest to help her. Wishing for everything to get back to "The Way It Was" for Season 39.

• Hugs 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 45: 0/5 

(Here to do my best to lower the bell curve for the group)

I have discovered that a sprinkling unsweetened baking cocoa powder on vanilla ice cream is a good thing.
Anyone care to try some?

I will. Just got some vanilla bean tonight, too.

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For today, I said, "Graceland" even though the song was at least 6 years old in 93.

I said Bridge Over Troubled Water figuring most politicians are troubled water. Okay, so I know Art was still with Paul for that song, but at least it's half Paul Simon and not all Marc Cohn. Although I do love Walking in Memphis.

I was listening to Graceland while driving during the night to Arkansas. The album made me turn east to Memphis and Graceland the next morning, a slight detour on my way to Little Rock. Best.Album.EVER. I got diamonds on the soles of my shoes, baby!

• Like 3
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have discovered that a sprinkling unsweetened baking cocoa powder on vanilla ice cream is a good thing.

Okay, I just tried it. (Because why not have ice cream at 10 AM?) Yum! Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Week 45:  4/5  1*    Overall: 110/225   14*    I'd need a perfect 5/5 week to finish at 50%--had only 2 all season. Sigh.

I'm at 39% for the season so far (88/225), with 11*. I need two right next week to get me to 40%. (Well, to get it to round up to 40%, at least. I need four to get it actually over 40% (40.17%, to be more precise; all five right and I'll finish at 40.43%). 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Week forty-five: three of five, with no asterisk. I attended a reunion picnic today, and there is plenty of macaroni salad left -- with loads of tiny bits of green onion and red bell pepper.

• Applause 3

4/5 with * I missed Waiting for Godot but was relatively sure of the other four. No wild guesses for once. I knew the constellation Capricorn because it is my astrological sign so knew a bit about it. And I doubt I will ever answer another constellation clue correctly ever again. 

Another vote for @saber5055 to get her butt back in here! You are greatly missed!!

• Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

1/5, no *, just a lot of really close misses (which, as my grey haired Daddy used to say, only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.)

I heard that one a lot too, and use it (sans the grenades).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5/5 with one * and assuming generous leeway on spelling the Opera answer.  Oddly the * was my only Instaget - I attended too many political gatherings during the 1992 election cycle not to get that immediately. 

It is way too hot for me to consider cooking (and a visit to the Ann Arbor Art Fair on Friday wore me out but was such fun) so I will offer up a couple of pitchers of Rose  Sangria with raspberries and blueberries.

Adding my voice to the "Come Back Sabre" chorus. 

• Applause 5
  • Love 1

I've always suspected that Dear Old Dad made up the hand grenades part. It always made us laugh.

I've always heard the saying with the hand grenades part.  And in the 80s, we added small thermonuclear weapons after hand grenades.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I've always suspected that Dear Old Dad made up the hand grenades part. It always made us laugh.

Not surprisingly (to me) the "hand grenades" part isn't recorded as being added until the height of the Vietnam War, in 1970: https://grammarhow.com/almost-only-counts-in-horseshoes-and-hand-grenades/

That doesn't mean your dad didn't make it up, @Good Queen Jane, it just means he wasn't the only one who came up with it. A lot of these things are part of the zeitgeist of a time. 

Kind of like how Alexander Graham Bell wasn't the only person who invented a telephone: wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_telephone#Invention_of_the_telephone
And while the Wikipedia article depicts all white guys as inventors, I like to think there were others too.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I've always heard the saying with the hand grenades part.  And in the 80s, we added small thermonuclear weapons after hand grenades.

Now that you mention it, I'm seeing "atomic weapons" too, for what counts as significant when saying something was "close" or "almost," and that may be the most apt example.
I see "skunks" too. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I have definitely always heard it with hand grenades (though not atomic weapons).  

• Like 3