Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week thirty-two: three of five, without the asterisk. I couldn't come up with the Ivory Coast (my guess was Algeria, as I knew they were once colonized by the French) or Masterclass (I assumed Audible.com).

But Sleeping Beauty was a piece of cake! We have the cast album somewhere; Scumps (the drinking song of the two kings) was one of my favorites as a kid. Lucky I didn't become an alcoholic, like a few relatives of mine!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Trey said:

2/5

I have to pull up my socks.  I've had too many 1/5 and 2/5 weeks lately.  I haven't been skunked (yet) but so far I think I have a failing grade.

Heh. "Pull up my socks." Cute.
But:

• If we are grading on a curve you definitely have a passing grade, @Trey.
  • And even on the show, players have whiffed FJ and won because of wagering and knowing a lot of other stuff
    --during Amy's run, I seem to recall Ken commenting on how she had a record for not missing FJs, like that was unusual.
  • And to those who got 5/5: We're just happy to be in the room with you. 🤩

Having had 0/5 two weeks in a row (although while batting 1000 with my 3 month old grandbaby) I pat myself on the back for every TS I get, including: index, wig, Jesse L. Martin, Meals Ready to Eat, amicus, Synagogue, Laredo, Rachel, Song of Solomon, Lamentations, Appendectomy, and Richie Havens
--any of which could have been FJs in an alternate Jeopardy! universe.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Week thirty-two: three of five, without the asterisk. I couldn't come up with the Ivory Coast (my guess was Algeria, as I knew they were once colonized by the French) or Masterclass (I assumed Audible.com).

But Sleeping Beauty was a piece of cake! We have the cast album somewhere; Scumps (the drinking song of the two kings) was one of my favorites as a kid. Lucky I didn't become an alcoholic, like a few relatives of mine!

Sleeping beauty was the one I misread.   So I was looking for a movie named for the Roman God of Dawn and Aurora was on my list for what that might have been but I didn't come up with a movie called that.   Sigh...   

• Love 2

4/5 no *
Monday & Friday were educated guesses, Wednesday was an instaget, and Tuesday was a huge WTF. For Thursday I got Aurora easily and the only Aurora I could think of was in Sleeping Beauty. Glad I couldn’t think of another Aurora and stuck with SB, especially since I thought it was made in the 1940s. 

• Love 4

Shirley MacLaine played Aurora in Terms of Endearment, but not in the 50s! Anyway, I didn't come up with the correct movie, either. And I knew about the Richard iii being buried in the parking lot, etc., but just couldn't come up with his name in time! Couldn't think of an African nation with "dent" in the name. The others were just a mystery to me.

• Love 3
On 4/23/2022 at 7:41 AM, shapeshifter said:

Same.
And I think I've run out of O-shaped foods.

image.png.381fc5021d645c15fc0ac12f46f6ea56.png

Here’s 11 from Quora (although I don’t think technically bialys have holes?)

Donuts

Bialys

Bagels

Simit (Turkish bagel thing with seeds)

Onion rings

Funyons

Cheerios

Calamari

Dried Apple Rings

Pineapples from a can

The O’s from Alphabet soup

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, opus said:

(although I don’t think technically bialys have holes?)

Google: People ask: What is the difference between a bagel and bialy?

Answer: Unlike a bagel, which is boiled before baking, a bialy is simply baked, and instead of a hole in the middle it has a depression. Before baking, the depression is filled with diced onion and other ingredients, sometimes including garlic, poppy seeds, or bread crumbs.

• Useful 5
On 4/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, secnarf said:

1/5. Thank goodness for Richard III. 

Possibly the first time those words have ever been said.

Most of this week I had nurses and staff in my room all through the game so I went to the archive for FJ. So a couple I'm not sure I would have gotten under game conditions, but 4/5, 1*.

I don't even know what table for 4 people like. Maybe 4layer dip and chips? Four cheese pizza?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Most of this week I had nurses and staff in my room all through the game so I went to the archive for FJ. So a couple I'm not sure I would have gotten under game conditions, but 4/5, 1*.

I don't even know what table for 4 people like. Maybe 4layer dip and chips? Four cheese pizza?

4 cheese pizza sounds good...

Do you get to go home soon?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

4 cheese pizza sounds good...

Do you get to go home soon?

They are giving me an estimated date of May 10. So about two weeks, maybe two and a half. 

There was a place when I was in college that did a seven cheese pizza. That thing would still be hot the next morning, with all the heat sealed in by the cheese!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

3/5 with no*.  Two last second guesses and one instaget. 

For Monday, I got to Arabian Nights at the very last moment (my mind having wandered to the Kama Sutra and then getting stuck on would that be an FJ answer),  I knew the name was Aurora at once but had to scramble to come up with Sleeping Beauty. 

Richard III was immediate - the Anne of York reference gave it away plus I followed the story when it broke.  I am firmly in the Josephine Tey/Elizabeth Peters/he didn't do it camp for Richard (even though I do relish a good production of Shakespeare's version of events). 

I am embarrassed that I didn't get Cote D'Ivoire and Master Class but they reveal gaps in my retrievable knowledge base (if I actually ever knew either answer).

On Sunday I hit what had been planned as an indoor Farmers Market which was outside thanks to a gorgeous Michigan weekend (tempted to say made glorious summer by this sun of York).  My favorite cheese vendor was there so I offer up a cheese plate of Garlic Herb Spread, Apricot Triple Creme and Smoked Cheddar (which were among my purchases - I really shouldn't be allowed to go there unsupervised),

Edited by Grundoon59
  • LOL 6

It's been one month since a week with no asterisk!

WEEK 33 • Apr. 25, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
160. Names in American History. Capable of freighting about 180 tons of cargo, in 1624 it was in disrepair & appraised at a total value of 128 pounds.
161. African Surnames. Adetokunbo, “the crown has returned from overseas”, is fitting for the Adetokunbo family who left Nigeria for this country in 1991.
162. Poets. In 1939 he was buried near his last residence in France, but his body arrived in Galway en route to final burial on Sept. 17, 1948.
63. Books of the 1970s. Aptly, members of a Black family in this novel have Biblical names: Pilate, Hagar & the title one, an ancestor of the protagonist.
164. Musical Inspirations. “Tuileries” & “The Great Gate of Kiev” were 2 of the artworks that inspired this classical work completed in 1874.

• Love 2

Week thirty-three: two of five. I had a Monday and Friday kind of week. 

I'm going out to eat this weekend with a couple of friends that I have not seen face to face since the start of the pandemic. We're headed to a great Indian restaurant, so I'll bring a couple of varieties of Indian bread - garlic naan and chapati.

• Love 3

1/5 thanks to Greece. (What is upside down in the world when the only question I get correctly is a weird kind of hard one? 😂

Oops. In honor of getting that one I’m bringing spanakopita. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

image.png.af42c1190547c72ec59361300572dc86.png

Thank you!!!

Now I will cut each of those into probably four pieces because they are very rich. I made them for Easter and my dad said they were almost like fudge. (But they were also really still too warm to cut so I will do that tomorrow.)

• Love 2
(edited)

2/5 - Mayflower was an Instaget and Yeats popped into my brain at the last second from somewhere unknown.  I knew the musical piece they were referencing for Friday but nothing could make the answer appear in my mind.  Not a clue for either Tuesday or Thursday but I recognized the book title as soon as it was revealed. 

I am offering up a Baked Bean & Hot Dog Casserole (if I have to provide a rationale, it's Boston Baked Beans for the Mayflower and Hot Dogs for Base Ball - I attended another game this weekend but it is really mostly lack of cooking motivation these days 🤣).

Edited by Grundoon59
Brain misfire in original post
  • Love 4

I'm baaaack!

Week 32: 1/5

Week 33: 0/5

Pitiful, but my excuse is that I was vacationing in a country (Ireland) where I had Bailey's on porridge for breakfast, Guinness in candy, and Irish Coffee all day long. Who could concentrate on Final Jeopardy? 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

3/5 - I would have been drummed out of the family if I hadn't known Yeats - it was an instaget. Having lived in Nigeria, the UK was an educated guess and the Mayflower fit the time period.

A hot dog and baked bean casserole was my husband's favorite meal!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, OperaLover1229 said:

3/5 - I would have been drummed out of the family if I hadn't known Yeats - it was an instaget. Having lived in Nigeria, the UK was an educated guess and the Mayflower fit the time period.

A hot dog and baked bean casserole was my husband's favorite meal!

The correct answer was Greece.

• Love 3

Week ending May 6

1/5

Again.

Nothing 1-shaped but this came up in my memories the other day and I'm gonna have some for dessert.

image.thumb.png.43d54df60eb2429e86962f0c8f8600b0.png

(Melted milk chocolate with Rice Krispies on banana slices. Is yummy. And after this week I deserve something yummy.)

• Love 2