Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I am also in the 3/5 Rent/Lizzie Borden/Harvey Milk club.  All three of those fell neatly into my oddly shaped wheel house. 

Central American geography is a weak spot for me (with South America not far behind) so even if you had spotted me the country, I probably would not have gotten the answer. 

I am embarrassed I didn't get Dorothy Parker - thanks to several stays at the Algonquin Hotel with Mother Grundoon, I had a fascination with the Round Tablers.  However in reading the clue, I thought it was saying her death was in the twenties, not the poem and went down other paths trying to come up with an answer.

But in her honor (even though they have nothing to do with her), I will bring Parker House Rolls with plenty of butter for all tables. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I am embarrassed I didn't get Dorothy Parker - thanks to several stays at the Algonquin Hotel with Mother Grundoon, I had a fascination with the Round Tablers.  However in reading the clue, I thought it was saying her death was in the twenties, not the poem and went down other paths trying to come up with an answer.

Until this moment, that's what I thought rhe clue was saying too - which eliminated her from my guesses. Now I don't feel too badly about my mistake. She died in 1967 - which is closer to what I thought.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I will bring Parker House Rolls

A corpulent maiden named Kroll
Had a notion exceedingly droll
At a masquerade ball
Dressed in nothing at all
She backed in as a Parker House roll.

ETA: This sort of idea has been tried in costume competitions in which I have participated, but the rule is "No costume is no costume."

Edited by Driad
  • LOL 7

WEEK 26 • Mar. 7, 2022 — ONE asterisk *  
*126. Central America. A small river connects these 2 lakes that combined form close to 10% of their country’s area.  *
127. Broadway Musicals. Characters Mark, Roger & Maureen in this musical were inspired by Marcello, Rodolfo & Musetta in another work.
128. Epitaphs. Her epitaph, from a 1925 poem by her, ends, “She knows that her dust is very pretty”; “dust” was in another she wrote for herself.
129. Famous Trials. On her acquittal in 1893, a reporter cited nearby events 2 centuries earlier, saying the days of witch trials are over.
130. Symbols. This U.S. politician asked for a multicolored pennant for a parade; demand increased after his death in 1978. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

OMG, I just realized I got 5/5 this week!  Amazing!

Congratulations, @Browncoat👏

For the first time this season (Week 27) I finally got 3/5, so I'm pretty pleased too!
(Alright, alright, alright; "Silent Spring;" and lede)

I've been attributing my correct FJs to Daylight Saving Time, assuming it's a good thing for oldsters like myself who seem to be just barely beginning to sundown.

Everyone gets 3 chocolates:

image.png.f9102b0d2d1020978473c500749b7596.png

• Love 9
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Congratulations, @Browncoat👏

For the first time this season (Week 27) I finally got 3/5, so I'm pretty pleased too!
(Alright, alright, alright; "Silent Spring;" and lede)

I've been attributing my correct FJs to Daylight Saving Time, assuming it's a good thing for oldsters like myself who seem to be just barely beginning to sundown.

Everyone gets 3 chocolates:

image.png.f9102b0d2d1020978473c500749b7596.png

3/5 for me too - same ones. In keeping with the sweets, I'll bring 3 kinds of Girls Scout Cookies (just got our order).

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

OMG, I just realized I got 5/5 this week!  Amazing!

Congratulations! It's exciting to get a 5/5 week, I've only done it once, but as I recall you're a better player than me, so you'll be sure to get another.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

Week 27:  4/5.

I'm delighted to have had such a good week, but I'm still smacking myself upside the head over Monday's miss. I knew the exact location they were looking for but wrote Dardanelles, the name of the bordering strait instead of Gallipoli, the actual name of the peninsula. 🤦‍♀️

• Love 5

WEEK 27 • Mar. 14, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
131. World War I. Suvla Bay & Cape Helles were major landing sites along this peninsula.
132. Meteorology. It was feared this word caused panic, but in 1950 the USWB ended a ban on it in forecasts, saying prediction wasn’t impossible.
133. Movie Stars. Matthew McConaughey said, “‘Dazed & Confused’, the first words I ever said on film were” these.
134. Nonfiction. This 1962 classic was dedicated to Albert Schweitzer, who predicted that man “will end by destroying the earth.”
135. Newspaper Talk. Meaning an important part of a story, this distinctive spelling helped distinguish the word from a substance used in typesetting.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

2/5 this week ("All right, all right, all right" and lede.)

I'll share the brownie brittle I just bought.

32 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

132. Meteorology. It was feared this word caused panic, but in 1950 the USWB ended a ban on it in forecasts, saying prediction wasn’t impossible.

Oops, I got tornado, too! Please update my score to 3/5!

I have toaster strudel...

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Oops, I got tornado, too! Please update my score to 3/5!

I have toaster strudel...

This is the 2nd week in a row we’ve gotten the same FJ answers. Kindly stop cheating off of me! 🤪

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

3/5.

I always wondered why "lede" is spelled the way it is. Another learning moment from J!

Same and same. 
Well, the clue writers sure didn't "bury the lede" with the clue, did they? 😄

• "Meaning an important part of a story, this distinctive spelling helped distinguish the word from a substance used in typesetting"

• Love 1

3/5 this week with embarrassment for missing Monday and Friday.  Should have gotten Gallipoli if only from remembering the movie.  Likewise, have heard the phrase bury the lede but didn't ever realize the spelling difference - I was saying it in a questioning way but since the spelling was integral to the answer, I wouldn't get credit.

Too many tornado watches/warnings in Michigan for that not to be an Instaget.  Knew the catchphrase pretty quickly and Silent Spring came easily (my Grundoon Aunts lived not far from the Rachel Carson National Wildlife area). 

Love the idea of an all sweets table this week - I'll bring a good vanilla ice cream and toppings.

Also if anyone hasn't tried the new Girl Scout cookie Adventurefuls, you should- they are really good.  I bought one box a few weeks ago to try them out - polished it off and bought four more boxes on Friday - one for now, three for the freezer. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also if anyone hasn't tried the new Girl Scout cookie Adventurefuls, you should- they are really good.

Are those the ones that look sort of like brownies with caramel on top?  Those are good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

3/5 this week…   
have heard the phrase bury the lede but didn't ever realize the spelling difference - I was saying it in a questioning way but since the spelling was integral to the answer, I wouldn't get credit.

I’m pretty sure saying it in a questioning way does get you credit on Jeopardy! 🤣

Sounds like 4/5 for you!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2