Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 31 • Apr. 11, 2022 — ONE asterisk *  
151. Words of the Year. Oxford’s Word of the Year for 2021 was this 3-letter one, short for a word that goes back to the Latin for “cow.”
152. Geographic Terms. The 1964 article that gave this term its current use noted the “menace that haunts the Atlantic off our southeastern coast.”
153. History. Intimately familiar with World War I, Churchill considered this war from some 150 years before the “first World War.”  
* 154. Women in British History. The orphaned future Queen Elizabeth I was devoted to this stepmother who died 2 days before Elizabeth’s 15th birthday. *
155. Academy Award Winners. In 2019 he won his first competitive Oscar, 36 years after a Student Academy Award for a film about a Brooklyn barbershop.

11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 31: 0/5 

I came close on Wednesday with "The [some number] year's war." 

This week I learned from a NY Times crossword that there are now Oreo O's Cereal.
Care for a bowl?

image.png.9e593456c67b939f510f30ceccc41446.png

I remember them from when I was a kid, and have recently started seeing them in stores again. Delicious!!!

2/5, started the week off strong and then fizzled out.

I will bring cherry-vanilla coke.

• Love 2

Week thirty-one: three of five, with the asterisk. 

I started the week badly (vac instead of vax, and no clue on the Bermuda Triangle), but then breezed through the rest of the week. History categories and the Oscars are among my best categories. 

In honor of Easter, I'll be bringing deviled eggs. I have to boil a dozen or so for dyeing on Saturday, so I'll be eating a lot of hard-boiled eggs in the next week.

Last year's eggs - nothing fancy like Ukrainian eggs, but some nice colors! 

EasterEggs.jpg.fea835ddd0c64b8d936948d85b5f8622.jpg

• Love 8

4/5 with *
For Monday I immediately thought of some form of bovine, but when I switched tact to thinking of popular 3 letter words of last year vax immediately came to mind. Then I remembered the cow-smallpox vaccine connection. Tuesday was an instaget but it took me a few seconds of back & forth Thursday as to whether Henry VIII’s widow was Catherine Howard or Catherine Parr. Luckily I went with Parr. I didn’t think Spike Lee was correct because although I do remember him being affiliated with the movie (I think he calls them joints) but didn’t realize it was his first Oscar win. But I had no idea who else it could have been. 
I said American Revolution for Wednesday. 
Reese’s pb eggs for all! 

• Love 4

2½/5.  I got "Catherine" but didn't get the last name, so I get half an asterisk?  Just last week I watched "Elizabeth I and Her Enemies" on Britbox, so it was fresh in my mind. Ask me in two more weeks and I won't be able to answer anything. LOL.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

3/5, no *. The hospital has a special Easter menu that includes lemon bars with mixed berries. I'm not sure how that fits the number 3, but it sounds lovely and good enough to share!

Are there three berries?

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'll bring the adult beverages...

Wow! I've always been considered a party pooper,
but now I see that it's just that they weren't offering the right beverages!

278514622_3423411937886429_7720673048120240203_n.jpg

Fill up one of those Easter bunnies for me! 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I'd like to add to the adult beverages, with a nod to Tuesday's FJ. I will bring a bottomless pitcher of Rum Swizzle, the National Drink of Bermuda. 

My husband and I met on a cruise to Bermuda and brought the drink recipe home with us. Rum Swizzles were actually served at our engagement party! 🍹

swizzle.jpg

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

My husband and I met on a cruise to Bermuda and brought the drink recipe home with us. Rum Swizzles were actually served at our engagement party! 🍹

My parents went to Bermuda like 20+ years ago (not a cruise, but stayed at a resort), and met a couple from two towns over from us. They're still friends (even though the other couple has since moved about an hour away).

• Love 3

3/5, no *. Started off the week 2/2, faltered midweek, then finished with an instaget on Friday. Even came up with the name of the Spike Lee student movie before the Think music was done!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I went looking for the source of this image and found the recipe:

It’s that time of year again-the time of year where I remind you to buy hollow chocolate bunnies, cut off their ears, and turn them into shot glasses. You’re welcome. xoxo
(PS. If the bunnies eyes creep you out, eat them first.)

RECIPE:
1 shot Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur
1 shot Salted Caramel Vodka
A splash of half and half

https://missymwac.com/chocolate-bunny-shots/

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

History degree and an oscar nut.  Pretty sure this is my first time this season 5/5 1*

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well this is a festive thing I want to do now>   

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

@Prevailing Wind - Britbox helped me as well because "Elizabeth I and her Enemies" reminded me how soon Catherine Parr died after Henry did and of her relationship with Elizabeth.  I probably would have gotten the answer anyway (have read way too much Tudor history) but having watched that series definitely helped.

I was 4/5 with 1* for the week.  Ironically I was partly lead astray for Wednesday by an Acorn series on Churchill which focused on his interest in his ancestor John Churchill's military exploits which sent me down the rabbit hole of much earlier wars.  I never made it back to the correct era and so was spared the internal debate of which name to give to the war.  The answer made total sense just after I heard it (don't they almost always?). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5, no *

I won't be posting my scores for the next two weeks until May 2. I'm going on an oft-postponed trip to Ireland, Covid permitting. Keep my spot warm for me!

We'll be here when you get back.  Have a great time!  A trip to Ireland sounds lovely.

• Love 3

I think it was 2/5 with 1*.   It was.  Although at least when I went back to check I figured out what I missed in the question that discombobulated me.  I need to make sure I read the whole question... that helps.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Trey said:

2/5

I have to pull up my socks.  I've had too many 1/5 and 2/5 weeks lately.  I haven't been skunked (yet) but so far I think I have a failing grade.

Nobody fails; trying is the thing! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Hope y'all like onion rings!

Onion rings are one of those things I don't think much about but occasionally I'll see them on a menu and think "that sounds good..." I like the big thick ones that sometimes come with a steak. I don't even normally like cooked onions.

image.png.87be0b89b8aa9f36944e1020d0de6e91.png

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Onion rings are one of those things I don't think much about but occasionally I'll see them on a menu and think "that sounds good..." I like the big thick ones that sometimes come with a steak. I don't even normally like cooked onions.

I always order the O-Ring Shorty at Red Robin, but yours look MUCH more delicious.

WEEK 32 • Apr. 18, 2022 — ONE asterisk *  
155. World Literature. Befitting the title, Antoine Gallard, the first Western translator of this collection, worked on it only “after dinner.”
* 156. Countries of Africa. Old maps depicting what’s now this 125,000-square-mile country labeled the area with the French word for “teeth.”  *
157. On the Internet. This website launched in 2015 with 3 offerings, from James Patterson, Dustin Hoffman & Serena Williams.
158. Films of the 1950s. The title character of this film has the same name as the Roman goddess of the dawn.
159. Historic Names. DNA from 2 living descendants of Anne of York was used to identify the remains of this man.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

2/5, no asterisk. I'll bring the "Putin's An Ass" (This is from the brunch menu at a restaurant in Charleston, SC)

AKA a Moscow Mule. I like their name better. I'll take one.

• Love 2