Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I only saw one FJ but I got it right (New Zealand). Does that make a perfect week?

I'll bring kiwis in honor of NZ.

1/5

I think the answer to that one was Australia. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I only saw one FJ but I got it right (New Zealand). Does that make a perfect week?

I'll bring kiwis in honor of NZ.

1/5

5 hours ago, secnarf said:

Yes. That’s what you meant, right @Ailianna😉

Kiwis are still 👍🏻 good 😊 

• Love 2

Week thirty-five: three of five, with the first asterisk! I had no idea on the music festivals on Tuesday, and, despite seeing The Godfather more times than I can remember, I couldn't pull Clemenza out of the deep recesses of my brain.

Is anyone bring cannoli this week? Without the gun, of course.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

You are right. My post reflected my internal debate, though I did land correctly. Days later I misspoke. Kiwis are still good.

• Love 2

I got another big fat nothing. My failure to produce even one correct FJ in two weeks is making me question why. Still I’m moving forward this week with a smile on my face. I’m bringing vitamin B Complex with C pills for anyone else like me who thinks they need a boost. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got another big fat nothing. My failure to produce even one correct FJ in two weeks is making me question why. Still I’m moving forward this week with a smile on my face. I’m bringing vitamin B Complex with C pills for anyone else like me who thinks they need a boost. 

I only got 1 again.
Naps and vitamins are good, but I really should read the FJ question out loud.

• Love 3

4/5 with 2* - thanks to the weird wheelhouse of Grundoon knowledge (at least two of them were wild guesses).  For Monday, I settled on Hemmingway and started running all the titles I could remember and guessed correctly - thank you W&M lit classes!

For Tuesday, I got Woodstock right away for some odd reason with Coachella as a Hail Mary guess. Wednesday I wasn't sure who the characters who were killed were but they sounded "Godfathery".  Clemenza made sense and I remembered him for the "take the cannoli" line (which is one of my favorite Sarah Vowell books).

I am embarrassed I didn't get Australia since I heard/read a lot about their Constitution when I spent a week in Canberra decades ago but didn't come anywhere near it on Thursday.  For Friday, W&M British history classes to the rescue with how the Hanoverian Succession happened,

My cooking hasn't been glamorous of late but I did broil some chicken leg quarters and made some Rice-a-Roni which I will be glad to share. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Week ending 5/20: 

3/5

YTD I'm at 40% (64/160 with 9 asterisks).

Since it's gonna be in the 90s tomorrow I'll bring this summery-colored three-layer cake.

image.png.6de1b074346049ef6e5beb368b0dbdf3.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7
(edited)

Week 37: 2/5
Monday: Gateway Arch of St. Louis
Thursday: Hanging Gardens of Babylon

A website devoted to twins points out that cherries
(which are now coming into season in the Northern Hemisphere)
come in twos
--something I did not notice the summer I was 19, when I climbed up 16 foot ladders in the Okanagan Valley to pick cherries.
cherry-pair-fruits-sweet-162689.jpeg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

come in twos
--something I did not notice the summer I was 19, when I climbed up 16 foot ladders in the Okanagan Valley to pick cherries.

I spent a couple of weeks for three summers picking cherries on our Kansas farm, and did notice many came in pairs. Cherries are still my favorite fruit. All my cherry jewelry have them in pairs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

There should be a dessert that celebrates that cherries come in "pears."  Pear halves with cherries? Maybe I'll invent something and bring that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 37: 2/5
Monday: Gateway Arch of St. Louis
Thursday: Hanging Gardens of Babylon

come in twos

Cherry+toy_bad532_7738111.gif

• LOL 6
(edited)

4/5  I guessed Ural River for Friday

Kerouac & Hanging Gardens of Babylon were lucky guesses. I debated between those and Jack London & Colossus of Rhodes. 

It was 85 degrees at 10:00 AM so I will bring popsicles. 

Edited by Toothbrush
I thought there was an * this week
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

It was 85 degrees at 10:00 AM 

So glad I got back from my morning walk at 6:21 am!

16 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

so I will bring popsicles. 

I'll take one popsicle broken into 2:

6d9ec10aa338663ab3ecbb5e4cff9a99.png

image.png.32ac7d045867a52ba55d96f37c9b352b.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm usually irrationally annoyed by embedded gifs but I'm gonna make an exception...

The funny thing is I actually saw this a few days ago, and when I went to find a link I could use here, I found several gifs of other cats doing the same thing with cherries. I guess it's fun?

• Love 4

WEEK 36 • May 16, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
175. The National Park Service. The U.S.A.’s smallest National Park is a 91-acre site on the Mississippi River, home to this 630-foot landmark.
176. Literature. A contemporary review of a novel by this man said he “commands attention as a kind of literary James Dean.”
177. Oscar-Winning Songs. Johnny Mercer’s lyrics to this 1961 Oscar-winning song once began, “I’m Holly.”
178. The Ancient World. New research suggests a device now called the Archimedes screw helped maintain this one of the 7 wonders of the world.
179. On the Map. It’s referred to as “the blue eye of Siberia.” 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

0/5. 
I will bring the contents of my fridge/freezer, before they need to be thrown out due to power outage. 

Oh no! I’ve had to empty the freezer/fridge a couple of times due to hurricanes and it’s no fun. Stay safe, and I hope your power is back on soon. 

• Love 4

Interesting how we vary. I got Friday (Lake Baikal) quickly but had no clue for Wednesday (Oscar-Winning Songs).

I have had a dead fridge or a several-day power outage 3 or 4 times, but luckily all but one were during cold weather.

• Love 2

Before I had my knee replacement in 2001, I cooked like a maniac, freezing a bunch of stuff to be eaten during recuperation. My refrigerator chose THAT time to die. Fortunately, Best Buy was accurate with their delivery time, so I didn't have too much time without refrigeration. I was so afraid I was going to lose all that food I'd cooked.

• Love 2

4/5 - count me in the going great until Friday Club - the best I could come for Friday was  "you know, that lake I can never remember the name of". 

@secnarf - good luck with the freezer/fridge issues - I went through it last summer with a multi-day outage and oddly had been thinking this week that I should use some of the stuff I had put away since then to save on grocery bills this month (which is a much easier issue to deal with than an outage). 

• Love 4

2/5. Its actually an improvement despite a really stressful week. I'm finally home from the hospital after 63 days!

I can bring take out, since that's all we seem to be eating immediately.

• Love 7