Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)
45 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Week 38:  1/5  0*   Overall:  95/190 (hit 50%!)  12*

I thought I was at 40% overall, but I just realized that my total wasn't summing all the rows, so I just fixed that...and it brought me to 39% 😒 (75/190, with 11*).

Do we know how many weeks are in the season? 

edit: Never mind, I decided to not be lazy and just google it. Season ends July 29.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

A good week for asterisk lovers.

WEEK 38 • May 30, 2022 — THREE asterisk *  
* 185. In Memoriam 2022. On the death of this trailblazing man, friend & mentor, Oprah said, “For me, the greatest of the ‘great trees’ has fallen.”  *
186. Novel Quotes. Referring to the book’s title, this character says, “I know it’s a poem by Robert Burns.”
* 187. The Early 19th Century. Admiral Pierre-Charles Villeneuve signaled “engage the enemy” around noon & surrendered at 1:45 PM during this battle. *
* 188. UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Known as the female Lawrence of Arabia, Gertrude Bell called this place “a fairy tale city, all pink & wonderful.”  *
189. Technology. Upon the first use of this in 1844, the Baltimore Sun declared that time & space had been annihilated.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Week thirty-eight: two of five with one asterisk. I got Trafalgar and telegraph.

In honor of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, I'll bring some T, er, some tea - I've read that her favorite is Earl Grey with milk, no sugar. (But I'll bring sugar. I can't drink tea without it!)

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Seems like quite a few of us were saved by Friday's telegraph FJ.

1/5 ('cept I was saved by a wild guess on Holden Caulfield)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

3/5, 2*. Dry June is working (darnit!)

Hee! Lately I'd be having nightcaps if my stomach wouldn't hate me for it. 
And having not reached *my* best of 3/5 in 10 weeks, I wish I did drink so I could quit, kind of like 40 years ago when I had pneumonia and wished I was a smoker so I could quit.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 4

3/5 with 2*- Sidney Poitier was something of a guess but sounded right.  For Trafalgar - lots of recent Britbox/Acorn documentary viewing to the rescue.  Telegraph was another guess but sounded likely. 

For Tuesday, I utterly misread the clue and was off in lala land nowhere near the right answer and while I have seen numerous references to Petra in the above-mentioned Britbox/Acorn viewing, I couldn't come closer than "you know, that pink stone city". 

I will partner @j5cochran with the Tea Party by bringing scones, clotted cream and jam plus assorted tea cakes (I draw the line a marmalade sandwiches, much as I love Paddington). 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

For Tuesday, I utterly misread the clue and was off in lala land nowhere near the right answer

Most Jeopardy! evenings are like that for me ("off in lala land").
Not only is it late in the day, but my head is so filled with other stuff by then.
But my real Jeopardy! handicaps are just not having the memory banks of Jeopardy!-type information, as well as never having had a good memory.
I'm good at figuring stuff out——given enough time, but that's not the nature of Jeopardy!
So why am I still here? Because I like intellectual stuff?
Oh! Right!
To lower the curve! (0/5)

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I will partner @j5cochran with the Tea Party by bringing scones, clotted cream

"Clotted cream" did not sound appetizing, but apparently I have been missing out all my life on my heart's One True Desire: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/clotted-cream-recipe_n_4979955
——which is apparently available at Wegman's,
and can even be ordered for pickup at Walmart!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've always wondered what "clotted cream" was, thanks for the link! Sounds tasty.

5 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It's far from tasty, it's fucking delicious.

It is manna from heaven. It is ambrosia. It is . . . I can't think of a superlative superb enough to describe the deliciousness that is a fresh scone, covered in clotted cream and strawberry marmalade.

I'll be in my bunk...

• LOL 6

1/5 - I will never forget my first cream tea in the garden of my hotel on the banks of the Cam River in Cambridge. I accompanied my husband on a business trip and his company put us up in a hotel in Cambridge. Scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam - pure heaven. I have never had another cream tea quite like that one. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Week 39 3/5, one*

YTD: 90/195  7*, 2MR*, 6A*, 2M*

My percentage is at 46%. There are 7 more weeks (season 38 ends July 29). I would have to average over 3 out of 5 each week to get to 50%. Seems daunting since my current average is just over 2 per week.

4 hours ago, Trey said:

3/5 I don't think I got any *

Tuesday was an asterisk.

Edited by zoey1996
Corrected Week Number.
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 43

Was this week 39 or 40 or 43???

If no Ericasterisks,  I'm 2/5.

The Boston Tea Party is one of the few historical facts I know well enough for Jeopardy! recall times.
The Little Prince was required reading in a Sociology class for majors taught by an older, very hip professor, Homer Metcalf. But, also, my middle daughter gifted a copy to my youngest daughter for her baby shower this past year.

Let there be chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Life imitates art...

OMG! I flove this!!!
It needed ALL the emojis, so I went with the firept-fire.png.1de991d2178bda96374b75a13a14ffc0.png emoji BEFORE they got to the yelling fire part!!! Honest!!!

ETA: Now why oh why can't I be that intuitively quick when playing Jeopardy!???

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 4

WEEK 39 • June 6, 2022 — ONE asterisk *  190 is Ryan Long’s last game.
190. Greek Mythology. Of the Argonauts seeking the Golden Fleece, these 2 from the same family were from Sparta according to Homer.
* 191. Writing Old & New. This 2013 bestseller shares its title with the first section of a poem from 7 centuries before. *
192. American History. A participant in this 1773 event recalled, “Some of our numbers jumped into the hold …I never labored harder in my life.”
93. Children’s Literature. First published in French in 1943, this book has been called the most translated non-religious work, rendered into more than 300 languages.
194. The Western Hemisphere. Brazil stretches 2,700 miles from the Atlantic in the east to Serra do Divisor National Park on the border with this country in the west.

• Thanks 3
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OMG! I flove this!!!
It needed ALL the emojis, so I went with the firept-fire.png.1de991d2178bda96374b75a13a14ffc0.png emoji BEFORE they got to the yelling fire part!!! Honest!!!

ETA: Now why oh why can't I be that intuitively quick when playing Jeopardy!???

Pat Paulsen (remember him?) wrote the song. They knew/worked with each other long before the SmoBro Comedy Hour.

• Useful 2

2/5. But I definitely knew all the answers when I read the clues again today just before posting. That doesn't always happen so I'm hoping I actually learned some things this week.

• Like 2