Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Week 44 (right?) Wrong. Week 43:
0/5
Monday I managed to match a popular wrong answer of Rhode Island, then thought "No. Wait. It's probably one of those states to the north. New Hampshire?" and then the music stopped playing before I could get to Vermont for even a third guess.
It was all downhill after that for the rest of the week.

Nevertheless:

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week ending 7/8:

2/5

Got some "Sweetest Batch" strawberries yesterday...anyone have chocolate to dip 'em in?

chocolate_fondue_thumb-480x480.jpg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Fire 2
  • Love 2

WEEK 43 • July 4, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
210. The Eastern U.S. At its peak, this state had 6 seats in the House of Representatives; since the 1930s, it has had just 1.
211. National Historic Sites. Less than 100 yards north of the J. Edgar Hoover Building is this notorious location.
212. Agriculture. Being brought to the U.S. by a ship docking at San Francisco in 1851 helped lead to it now being a major crop in the Midwest.
213. Literary Characters on Screen. Per Guinness, this character who debuted in 1887 is the most portrayed human literary character in film & television.
214. Science & the Bible. A 2021 study suggested that an asteroid that struck the Jordan Valley c. 1650 B.C. gave rise to the story of this city in Genesis 19.

17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm bringing soybeans.

I got very sick one time from eating a bunch of soybeans we roasted and ate like peanuts. Talk about tummy troubles!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2

Week forty-three: two of five. I was on vacation this week, with limited chances to watch Jeopardy, so I'm blaming my low score on being in vacation mode!

@Prevailing Wind already suggested bringing soybeans, so I think we need some Vermont maple sugar candy, and, perhaps, a cup of tea for Sherlock. I don't know what would be an appropriate food addition for Sodom!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

0/5. I might have gotten Friday had I not misunderstood the clue because I do remember hearing about that study - but I misread the clue and though it was about the rise of a biblical city.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1

Note to anyone:

When I "like" a post with the "Applause" icon:image.png.4620dd8cc4e1abea8efbfa67f8b564be.png
I really do mean it as applause, often even a standing ovation with a Whoo-hoo!
I am definitely not one to do a so-called Slow Clap of derision. 

It's just that you all do a lot better than I do.
But if FJ was a 30 minute guessing game permitting unlimited Googling, I might stand a chance of besting all y'all. 😉

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

So I looked at my FJ history for the season so far, and there were:

6 weeks I got 0 correct
10 weeks I got 1
14 weeks I got 2
9 weeks I got 3
3 weeks I got 4
1 week I got all 5

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 1

3/5 

I guessed RI for Monday (but figured that was too obvious to be correct), and Dracula for Thursday. After the correct answer was revealed,  I remembered learning that fact at a Holmes museum exhibit. I’d blame covid-brain, but I’m the queen of after the fact “I knew that” 

I’ll bring 3-cheese pizza. Take-out, so there will be none of my covid cooties 🦠

• Hugs 4

ams1001 has inspired me! Overall (so far) I have:

2  0-right weeks

7 1-right weeks

14 2-right weeks

13 3-right weeks

5 4-right weeks

2 5-right weeks 

Hmmm, rather "bell-shaped": 2 7 14 13 5 2.   3 weeks to go! I need 2 4-right and 1 3-right to make it symmetric.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Hmmm, rather "bell-shaped": 2 7 14 13 5 2.   3 weeks to go! I need 2 4-right and 1 3-right to make it symmetric.

Now you made me go make a chart...

image.thumb.png.fc1f56c5f9c0968746d62b655b641c03.png

Also pie:

image.thumb.png.ae866e15239c10673313a3890a2266d4.png

• Love 5
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

My husband believes everything human can be charted on a bell shaped curve. So far, I haven't seen any endeavor that isn't. Even our scores. 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

2/5. I knew Sodom but I always pair it with Gomorrah so the clue referencing a single city threw me and I went with Babel. I blame it on the clue writers.

The Sodom clue included a bit of obscure knowledge, but definitely not as arcane as the previous week's FJ Sesame Street clue, plus, the Sodom clue was more like a multiple choice of common knowledge (even though I whiffed it entirely) whereas the Sesame Street clue was an Either You Know It Or You Don't, in which case, if nobody knows it, it's all about the bets.

I'm wondering if the FJ clue writers got a mandate to make the final paydays smaller due to inflation or something? Probably not. That's just my decades of tight budget experiences clouding my reasoning.

I think it's okay for them to throw out some little-known trivia for FJ to shake things up, so long as they don't do it on the regular. 

But I don't know if pissing off viewers is the way to go. I guess they figure Jeopardy! is golden?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My husband believes everything human can be charted on a bell shaped curve. So far, I haven't seen any endeavor that isn't. Even our scores. 😉

My numbers are pretty bell-shaped, too!  

4 correct:  2

3 correct:  13

2 correct:  11

1 correct: 14

0 correct:  3

Fascinating!  Just needed to move 1 "1 correct" week to the "2 correct" line and there you go!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

3/5 this week.  Vermont was a lucky guess between New Hampshire and it based on what I presumed was decreasing population over the decades.  Sherlock was a more educated guess given the year in the clue and having seen many versions of the character. 

Fords Theater was a Instaget - been there several times and got pretty good at DC geography the summer I spent there after college {If you want to good naturedly irk the Park Service employee giving the tour, ask if the chair in Lincoln's box is the original - when I was there years ago, they were kind of gliding over it without giving any incorrect info but giving the impression it might be.  If you are interested, then you can come visit it at Henry Ford Museum}.

I make a pretty good crab salad which I will be glad to share since it can be said to relate to the general Chesapeake Bay area (I don't know that I can make it in "real" life this summer, given crab prices but a girl can dream).

• Love 4
(edited)

Week 44: 1/5

• Monday was a relief when I got Porgy & Bess.
  • Wednesday I learned that living in California for 23 years did not teach me its state motto, and one of my kids who went to school in California from kindergarten through high school didn't know it either.
  • By Thursday it was: Stalin, no, wait, Lenin. Stalin, Len. . . times up, Stalin. Wrong.

I bring bananas in case anyone wants to make banana splits out of these ice cream fixings.

And since they're virtual bananas, they are the perfect texture and ripeness and are grown organically by fair trade growers who treat all of their employees with respect.

And also since I’m shopping virtually:   
These are the smaller, slightly tart and almost juicy Apple banana variety, purchased at the farmers’ market in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, locally grown.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I actually have some bananas, too. Also strawberries and blueberries, and apricots and apriums*. I had raspberries but they seem to have, uh, disappeared, yesterday morning.

*I've had plumcots before, but this is the first time I've seen apriums. I was wondering what the difference is, since judging from the names they are both clearly an apricot/plum cross, and have determined that apriums are fuzzy and plumcots (as I recall; haven't seen them this year so far) are not.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 5