Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Vaxxed and Waxed

• Start Topic

I'm starting to feel bad for ole Whitney. She is manufacturing a relationship out of literally nothing. This phantom man on the phone has zero interest in her but her ears are hearing something completely different. 

It's clear she lives a very lonely life and her thirst for companionship and intimacy is  embarrassing and I'm bothered none of her "friends" pull her coat.

• Love 17

Whit’s brother needs to back her up on the stairs issue.  One sign of cognitive decline is poor judgement.  Seniors can get stubborn over issues that are a no brainer.  If you keep falling on the stairs, there’s an issue. Falls often result in fractures in seniors.  That means hospital, anesthesia, surgery, rehab and often nursing home.  They seem in denial.  I hope they suddenly stop falling.  Odds are they will continue falling.  ☹️ 

• Love 9

This whole tutor thing makes Chase’s scenes sound like a Harlequin romance novel.  Did Tal get demoted because it seems like it’s Ashley’s turn to push along Whitney’s delusional commentary each episode.  When the in-show product placement advertisement is the most interesting part of the show, that’s not good. 😳

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

I freaking hate her bossy I'm in charge attitude when it comes to her parents.  Truth told, she's the family's biggest fall risk.  Wish mom would just tell her to STFU.  If they want a stair lift, they'll get one. 

Anyone notice the cool product placement/commercial with the Command strips?  First she complained about her wobbly pictures on the wall & used them, then all of a sudden woop there's a commercial for Command strips.  Will we see a menstrual cup commercial next?  

She's fabricated as relationship out of a few Skype calls with a dude that doesn't seem interested at all. From what they're showing us.  But it's funny, so full speed ahead Whitney!  

Hey I made it through the entire episode tonight, woo hoo!!  

• Love 15

The Blur seems like a robot powering down because his battery is low every time he talks to Whitney.  
NAO-turn-OFF.gif

As someone whose first language is not English, even I cannot blame this awkward telephone conversation on a “lost in translation” thing. I’ve had more chemistry with wrong number calls than these two lovebirds have with each other. 

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 8
  • Love 11

If you have to demand that he says what you want to hear...he’s just not that into you.    No one pauses that much, or chooses their words so carefully when talking to someone they’re actually interested in. 

Id rather hear more from the other ladies than Whitney go on and on about this non existent relationship.  More fun, less fake romance.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

The Blur seems like a robot powering down because his battery is low every time he talks to Whitney.  
NAO-turn-OFF.gif

As someone whose first language is not English, even I cannot blame this awkward telephone conversation on a “lost in translation” thing. I’ve had more chemistry with wrong number calls, these these two lovebirds have with each other. 

I caved and watched the call. By the end of the convo my 14yo son and I were holding on to each other and shouting, "Make it stop!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Jesus...how fucking sheltered is Whitney?  She's been presented with the opportunity to have her own workout app, and gets Jessica excited about it, and then gets a bit 'See I told you people are excited about what I can bring to the fitness world' with Will when she tells Will about it.  Jessica admits a basic clueless-ness about apps, and Will seems unfazed that Whitney at least is acting like she beat him to the punch on an idea that will surely have the Shark Tank folks drooling with multiple offers. 

Whitney, surely even you must realize somebody some day would try to sell you on this idea.  That Whitney couldn't even come up with the idea herself, or is stupid enough to present the idea as somebody else's and an offer she can't refuse, speaks volumes about whether she's up to doing things Will's way.

Buddy is moving out, and Whitney is pissed.  Remember Whitney made Buddy promise to be her roommate if she moved back to her house in Greensboro, so Buddy is breaking Whitney's promise, getting his own life and all.  It's ok for Whitney to complain that the relationship with Buddy is suffering because he has the audacity to move in with his new girlfriend, but didn't Whitney treat Buddy even worse when she was swooning over what's his name last year?

There's some discussion between Whitney and somebody else, maybe everybody else even (I'm hardly paying attention anymore), about whether Mr. French is a catfish, which Whitney dismisses because well, uh, how can a catfish give her a phone-video tour of Paris, and besides, she can see that he is a real person otherwise blurred out to the rest of us.  There's a theme running through this episode and it's nothing related to the title Waxed and Vaxed.  A better episode title would have been Dumb and Dumber.  Maybe the same person who's trying to sell Whitney on the exercise app is in cohoots with Mr. French, or maybe the guy behind 'Williams' on 90-Day Fiance is the brains behind it all.

Oh, Ashley is back ass-kissing.  If they change the title of this awful show to Real Housewives of NC, maybe that would help with this nauseating ingratiation that reaches its vomit-worst with bald-headed friend whose name I'm drawing a blank on now.

And now, a segment about Ashley and Whitney getting their privates waxed, just in case anyone wants to see what was originally on the cutting-room floor before another segment with Hunter must have been deemed better to cut (Jesus, I hope I'm right, because I'm not done watching yet...please dear Lord, no more Hunter).

Oh, they seem to be right in Housewives territory now, and are spending some away time at a glamorous resort of some kind that has an elevator with a weight limit of 950 pounds.  It's probably a question the concierge has never heard, but leave it to Whitney to ask so she can at loud state her current weight less 100 pounds, in my observation, at least.

Oh, it's the Fat Girls Retreat they are at now, I think.  Jesus, wasn't that last week?  Seems we've been hearing about it forever.  Whitney is interviewing the group, being nosey as possible (she starts with 'tell us your age,' clearly thinking all these women look older than her, which was wrong...I mean, does anyone doubt Whitney's real motivation in asking such a useless question?).

Buddy wins this episode, as he escapes from Whitney/moves out without a scratch (literally since even Henchi the cat won't touch Buddy).  Ashley is a loser again this episode for all the stupid stuff she says, like thinking it's too soon for Whitney and Mr. French to be meeting in person.  Ashley, dear, saying the obvious in your talking heads to us the audience and not to your good friend Whitney is not endearing you to either, trust me on that.  And since France apparently will need to roll out the red carpet again for Whitney, I think France is the biggest loser this episode.

Oh wait - Mr. French is the clear winner here.  His reply to Whitney's beating around the bush with her invitation for him to come to North Carolina, home of mountains, beaches and Whitney, doesn't match Whitney's enthusiasm for the idea - 'oh yeah, when I think of North Carolina, the whole vibe doesn't strike me' - is pure gold, and gets Whitney to start re-examining her school-girl crush with this guy.  He has clearly sent Whitney down a dark path, since he seemingly says nothing hopeful when she wants him to say he misses her at the end of the call.

Whitney, try selling North Carolina tourism next.  You're a pro at that - negative one customer so far!

Edited by CainF
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8

Something I liked tonight was the fat woman having a little bit of a forum to talk about what it's like to be a fat woman. We really need to stop policing woman's bodies and I give the show credit for showing how casually that happens. It was great to see large, attractive women not hiding their bodies in shapeless clothes. I'm glad the swim suits are coming.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Whit’s brother needs to back her up on the stairs issue.  One sign of cognitive decline is poor judgement.  Seniors can get stubborn over issues that are a no brainer.  If you keep falling on the stairs, there’s an issue. Falls often result in fractures in seniors.  That means hospital, anesthesia, surgery, rehab and often nursing home.  They seem in denial.  I hope they suddenly stop falling.  Odds are they will continue falling.  ☹️ 

I kind of loved Hunter, because he's right. I'm thinking Babs and Glen have each fallen on the stairs just once and Glen's fall happened because he was trying to balance some food. There's nothing in what we've seen to indicate that either of them has impaired judgement or even significant physical limitations. Whitney expresses concern for their safety, but she's really only wanting them to do something to make Whitney feel better.

• Love 21

Whitney treats her parents like they are at least 10-15 years older than they are.  And even then it would be considered elder abuse.  They are nowhere near needing her to question their judgment.  I didn't question my father's ability to make sound safety judgments until he was in his late 80s and even then it was his life and I didn't harp on anything until it got critical, which wasn't until he was 90 and kept scraping the car on inanimate objects.  I had to convince him to stop driving or he might hit a person next!  But he was 90, not 75!  She is just so freaking overbearing.

And this so-called "Frenchman" - I am sorry but I still can't believe he's anything but an American or a foreign born person that has lived here in the past for some time because even his phraseology is purely American through and through.  He uses a LOT of words and phrases in ways that only Americans can achieve to that degree.  It just comes too naturally to him. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Babs even fell down walking on the sidewalk.  Often falls are due to poor balance. Refusing to reduce risks is common in seniors, because they resist change. Sadly, falls and fractures often lead to further decline.  People make their own decisions. Good or bad.  I don’t see any motive Whit has, except removing a fall hazard for her parents.  As stubborn as they are, she’ll have her hands full down the road, if she’s physically able.  

I do miss Tal.  Her male friends are funny and should be included more. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

Whitney expresses concern for their safety, but she's really only wanting them to do something to make Whitney feel better.

This part right here! Whitney’s concern for her parents comes across as secondary, she presents it like her parents must do stuff so she doesn’t have to worry about it.  I’m not saying she doesn’t care about her parents, but it’s always comes across as everybody’s lives depends on how it affects Whitney.  BTW if you care so much about people’s safety, don’t have your friends that you outweigh by over 100-150 lbs push your ass up a waterfall cliff 😒

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do miss Tal.  Her male friends are funny and should be included more. 

I feel like they would be if they wanted to. You know that us gay men are often treated as props for straight women's amusement. We quite often do not enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

There's nothing in what we've seen to indicate that either of them has impaired judgement or even significant physical limitations.

In my early 20s I almost cracked my head open on my bathtub slipping when I got out of the shower, like, literally, hit my head on my marble floor like 2 inches from the corner of the bathtub because I was washing my favorite bathmat and was too lazy to put another one down. Hell, I almost slipped and fell today because I put a brand new pair of socks on before going to let the dogs out because we just had our hardwood floors refinished a few weeks ago and they are still very slick.

Sometimes people slip and fall for various reasons, context always matters, Whit has provided no context besides infantilizing her parents because of their age.

Also, Whit's parents might be more receptive to her "concern" if she hadn't gone on TV for years intentionally, at least attempting to show that she could not provide for her own self-care as a 30 something year old woman.

Edited by John M
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

Whitney expresses concern for their safety, but she's really only wanting them to do something to make Whitney feel better.

52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don’t see any motive Whit has, except removing a fall hazard for her parents.  

"Storyline"!  They've got to fill an hour a week, and that's hard when potential "love interests" won't even show their faces on camera 🙄

I'm confused about this retreat.  (Other than knowing it's "storyline" - see above 😄 ). If it weren't - so this random fat woman just goes out and rents a house and somehow finds other fat women to show up for a weekend of bonding and sharing?  With a photoshoot?  Other than providing something for Whitney to do and film, showcasing her as a blessing to the obese, what's going on here?  How does this work if it's not a made-for-MBFFL-event?

I'm also wondering at what point The Frenchman (at least we've found out his name 😃 )was in on the joke here.  She could have just signed up for online French lessons, although I'm assuming if she did it was to have something to film rather than any actual curiosity, and she could have decided she had a crush on the tutor.  She could have told the tutor she was a TV star and asked him to be a little adventurous with their sessions (The Louvre!). He could have just gone along with it because of the boredom of quarantine, etc. and it was something a little different and fun.  It almost seemed like tonight when she announced that he was to visit her he had an epiphany that there was more going on and started backpedalling real fast! 

Of course that's what Will did last week and suddenly this week he's on board.  "I know Whitney could drag this out for a year" - I guess Will doesn't watch the show or he'd know she's already been dragging it out for 2 years 😏

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Babs even fell down walking on the sidewalk.  Often falls are due to poor balance. Refusing to reduce risks is common in seniors, because they resist change. Sadly, falls and fractures often lead to further decline.  People make their own decisions. Good or bad.  I don’t see any motive Whit has, except removing a fall hazard for her parents.  As stubborn as they are, she’ll have her hands full down the road, if she’s physically able.  

One thing I learned when my father got older is that you can't control your parents.  They don't listen to their kids because they are used to being the one to tell you what you should do, not the other way around.  She has to learn to respect their right to make their own decisions for better or worse.  There isn't much she can do anyway if they live in a house with a staircase.  Even if they slept downstairs there are still stairs in the house.  There will always be risks in any house.  They can slip in the shower even with grab bars.  I understand wanting to lower the risks but there is only so much that can be done.  My father lived his life on his terms and in the end he was better off for it, I think.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

I freaking hate her bossy I'm in charge attitude when it comes to her parents.  Truth told, she's the family's biggest fall risk.  Wish mom would just tell her to STFU.  If they want a stair lift, they'll get one. 

Anyone notice the cool product placement/commercial with the Command strips?  First she complained about her wobbly pictures on the wall & used them, then all of a sudden woop there's a commercial for Command strips.  Will we see a menstrual cup commercial next?  

She's fabricated as relationship out of a few Skype calls with a dude that doesn't seem interested at all. From what they're showing us.  But it's funny, so full speed ahead Whitney!  

Hey I made it through the entire episode tonight, woo hoo!!  

The guy on the phone dosn't sound a bit French, who they trying to fool?

• Love 7

Now we know blur is phony.Whitless parents biggest enemy is whitless.The show has had it.Big women have problems but whitless is not the one to help being she is her own worst enemy.If she can not see how fucked up this all is,there is no hope for her sorry large ass.

• Love 4

I thought it was so interesting how she’s asking these other women their age, relationship status, and what they do. You could tell she was just hoping someone was older than her with no real career… instead she got women with actual jobs and real relationships who are all younger and more stylish than her. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 21
7 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Something I liked tonight was the fat woman having a little bit of a forum to talk about what it's like to be a fat woman. We really need to stop policing woman's bodies and I give the show credit for showing how casually that happens. It was great to see large, attractive women not hiding their bodies in shapeless clothes. I'm glad the swim suits are coming.“

So agree! When this show first came on, I thought it would be a good showcase for how obese women still have the right to live their lives in public, have fun, and how difficult that is when society hates your mere existence. Instead, it turned into Whitney demonstrating every cliche attached to obese women to be true (in her case, but when it’s out for the word to see, it’s assumed ALL fat woman are this way.)

So, it’d be fun to see fat women just being themselves, having laughs and talking about their lives. But I suspect they’ll just be used as an audience for Whitney’s endless whining about the French guy, and trying to be the Most Everything.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

One thing I learned when my father got older is that you can't control your parents.  They don't listen to their kids because they are used to being the one to tell you what you should do, not the other way around.  She has to learn to respect their right to make their own decisions for better or worse.  There isn't much she can do anyway if they live in a house with a staircase.  Even if they slept downstairs there are still stairs in the house.  There will always be risks in any house.  They can slip in the shower even with grab bars.  I understand wanting to lower the risks but there is only so much that can be done.  My father lived his life on his terms and in the end he was better off for it, I think.

I completely agree. And frankly, if she wanted to increase the chance that they would listen to her she would need to treat them with some respect. Just demanding they do something like she's completely in charge of their lives it so disrespectful. If she's really so worried, she could have a conversation with them and make a suggestion, but then leave it. It has to be their decision. It's their life. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

So agree! When this show first came on, I thought it would be a good showcase for how obese women still have the right to live their lives in public, have fun, and how difficult that is when society hates your mere existence. Instead, it turned into Whitney demonstrating every cliche attached to obese women to be true (in her case, but when it’s out for the word to see, it’s assumed ALL fat woman are this way.)

So, it’d be fun to see fat women just being themselves, having laughs and talking about their lives. But I suspect they’ll just be used as an audience for Whitney’s endless whining about the French guy, and trying to be the Most Everything.

Agree. But Whitney cannot and should not be a role model/poster child for this demographic of women. There are better choices.

• Love 11

Babs even fell down walking on the sidewalk.  Often falls are due to poor balance.

I really wish someone had been there to remind Twit that last season (the weekend of the lake house get-away) she fell on the ground when walking off the patio. Buddy was the only one there but I am sure that Hunter or her parents must have seen the episode and known about it.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I really wish someone had been there to remind Twit that last season (the weekend of the lake house get-away) she fell on the ground when walking off the patio. Buddy was the only one there but I am sure that Hunter or her parents must have seen the episode and known about it.

No kidding. I would love to hear her parents say 'Whitney, thanks for your concern but you have enough to worry about with your own health issues. We will take care of ourselves". 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18

I was happy to see that the women they chose to include in this retreat were attractive, stylish, accomplished and well spoken. In fact, the only non adult was the oldest person in the room.  
As a 73 year old woman, I resent Whitney treating her parents as if they are doddering old fools. If we’re going to be counting falls, I would think that Whitney has probably exceeded them in that area. And Glenn is the only member of the Thor family who has a job, so there’s that.

• Love 20
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

BTW if you care so much about people’s safety, don’t have your friends that you outweigh by over 100-150 lbs push your ass up a waterfall cliff 😒

Exactly...  Whitney might be correct that it would be prudent for her parents to transition downstairs before something happens, but she lacks credibility being unable to go up and down stairs herself and unwilling to do anything about it.

Ashley's "I can't believe this is my life!" says it all.  That's was ass-kissing gets you.

7 hours ago, xls said:

The guy on the phone doesn't sound a bit French, who they trying to fool?

All of us.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

As a 73 year old woman, I resent Whitney treating her parents as if they are doddering old fools. If we’re going to be counting falls, I would think that Whitney has probably exceeded them in that area. And Glenn is the only member of the Thor family who has a job, so there’s that.

If she acts this way now what is she going to do when her parents are even older?  She acts 5 years away from trying to put them in a freaking nursing home!!  Seriously, she needs a reality check about understanding older people.  First of all, she has no right to push anything on them.  They are adults and unless they are mentally compromised by dementia or Alzheimer's the law assumes that they are fully capable to make their own decisions.  Even if she has power of attorney to handle their affairs that would only be allowed in the event that they are deemed unable to handle them themselves.  And Babs and Glenn are nowhere near being in that category!!

She insults her parents by acting this way, plus she is probably more compromised herself in terms of taking care of herself than they are.  She is only a few years away from really strting to feel some of the affects of aging herself and at her weight and with how she has abused her joints and her body overall she is going to feel much older than she is plus be at even more risk for hurting herself!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 11

She sure has a lot of faith in that vax of hers!  Kissing and hugging strangers indoors with nary a mask in sight?  I thought she was terrified of the Big C...  Guess she hasn't heard that you can still contract it and transmit it even afterwards.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 17

Does this girl hear herself talking? And this guy is not French. He may speak French but I would bet my head that he is an American or something else. In addition to not having the charming accent that makes us swoon, he says things like, "you're a grown ass woman?" And he says "like" a lot. This girl has no pride and she's practically begging. She may not be sure if they're on the same page, but I can assure her they most definitely are not. She needs to fucking stop saying, "I'm dating a man in France." Mon dieu!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

There's nothing in what we've seen to indicate that either of them has impaired judgement or even significant physical limitations.

It was just in the last episode that Babs could hardly move due to her back problems. She's had a stroke and she has fallen more than once. 

That said, Babs and Glen are adults and they have the right to make their own decisions. I think they would both be better off in a one-story home as falls are often what precipitates a decline in the health of older people. But they know that's a risk and it's one they have chosen to take. I don't think that Whitney is wrong to be concerned. I don't even think that she is wrong to express that concern. But she would catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar and now that Babs and Glen have declined a suggestion to change their living arrangements, she needs to let it be until and unless circumstances change.

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Whitney might be correct that it would be prudent for her parents to transition downstairs before something happens, but she lacks credibility being unable to go up and down stairs herself and unwilling to do anything about it.

She knows deep down that she can't help her parents.  She can't even manage basic hygiene for herself , how could she possibly care for someone else.  She knows the truth but she pretends she's all concerned like the dutiful daughter.  I hate how she talks to her parents like they're feeble and need her to tell them what to do. 

I loved how all the other women at the retreat are younger and more accomplished in their lives than Twit.  It just showed up how nothing her life is.  She sounded pathetic talking about her "boyfriend", who by the way sounded utterly uninterested and bored when they were on the phone.  "How wild can I be?"  tee hee,  He doesn't give a crap Whitney.  He's not into you. 

I don't know, did anything else happen this episode?  Oh yea Twit did a live commercial for those picture hanging things, and Buddy finally moved out.  Thrills.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I love how Will gave her a chance at a job at his gym if only she would pass the exam in four weeks. Who here hasn't crammed 300 pages of work into four weeks? I did it on my first day of law school. I get the initial panic, and the proclamation that she would study on her two-day (out of 28) trip...then immediately wastes time convening a "family meeting" to chide her parents on having the audacity to use half of their own home. And how exactly does she plan on "giving" them a downstairs bathroom? Is she going to slap one together with Command strips? Maybe wallpaper their existing bathroom with that hideous art deco monstrosity she used in her own home? I have a sneaking suspicion this trainer certification is going to go the way of her failed engagement, pizza contract with Buddy, and her French lessons. Speaking of, she isn't even pretending to care about learning French, is she? She's just pushing so hard on this guy to be her new "French Mayunnnn!" 

And what was that wax session? Absolute amateur hour. I haven't seen a professional waxer use linen strips since the 90s. And showing the strips to the camera and cawing at them like they're some kind of marvel? I could get behind the liquid wax and linen strips, maybe that's how some places still operate, but then she piled up the used, hairy strips on Whitney's ample stomach! It was so gross. I have waxed my own legs as an amateur for 15+ years and I'm neater than that. And every time I go to a salon to have it done, they use hard wax, and do the entire leg all at once, and they certainly don't pile the used wax up on me!

The best part of this whole episode was getting to know the other ladies. The one with the blue blazer and short hair has such great style. And it was eye-opening to hear some of the horrible things men have said to them. When I used to date men, I heard some awful stuff, but their experience was different from mine, and it was definitely interesting to hear about.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, politichick said:

Does this girl hear herself talking? And this guy is not French. He may speak French but I would bet my head that he is an American or something else. In addition to not having the charming accent that makes us swoon, he says things like, "you're a grown ass woman?" And he says "like" a lot. This girl has no pride and she's practically begging. She may not be sure if they're on the same page, but I can assure her they most definitely are not. She needs to fucking stop saying, "I'm dating a man in France." Mon dieu!

Yup that's what I've been saying all along.  If this guy is not American he has at least lived here for some time.  I am not buying that he learned English from an American overeseas and from that adopted the accent.  He couldn't possibly roll American phrases and colloquialisms so effortlessly off his tongue like that with nary an accent unless he's an American or has lived here in the past for some time.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It was just in the last episode that Babs could hardly move due to her back problems. She's had a stroke and she has fallen more than once. 

That said, Babs and Glen are adults and they have the right to make their own decisions. I think they would both be better off in a one-story home as falls are often what precipitates a decline in the health of older people. But they know that's a risk and it's one they have chosen to take. I don't think that Whitney is wrong to be concerned. I don't even think that she is wrong to express that concern. But she would catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar and now that Babs and Glen have declined a suggestion to change their living arrangements, she needs to let it be until and unless circumstances change.

She is not wrong to be concerned but she needs to stop talking down to her parents like they are idiots now that they're older.  It shows a really repulsive lack of respect for them and for older people in general.  They know better than she does how to take care of themselves or they'd never have made it to their age without being wheelchair bound or worse like she will probably be if she even makes it to their age, which at this point is doubtful.  Unfortunately I don't see her letting it be any time soon.  In fact she will probably get worse and start forcing her will upon them like she's threatening to do by making over the downstairs bedroom, and that's regrettable.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

She is not wrong to be concerned but she needs to stop talking down to her parents like they are idiots now that they're older.  It shows a really repulsive lack of respect for them and for older people in general.  They know better than she does how to take care of themselves or they'd never have made it to their age without being wheelchair bound or worse like she will probably be if she even makes it to their age, which at this point is doubtful.  Unfortunately I don't see her letting it be any time soon.  In fact she will probably get worse and start forcing her will upon them like she's threatening to do by making over the downstairs bedroom, and that's regrettable.

It also gives me concern for Glenn's reputation, as he's still working full time and apparently quite competent.

Whitney portraying him and Babs as a couple of decrepit doddering incompetents could impact his reputation.  Co-workers, supervisors, managers, et al, could start giving Glenn the side eye and wondering if they should be concerned about his mental competency as well.  

Babs seems genuinely and understandably irked that Whitney continues to act as if they're incapable of taking care of themselves.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

It also gives me concern for Glenn's reputation, as he's still working full time and apparently quite competent.

Whitney portraying him and Babs as a couple of decrepit doddering incompetents could impact his reputation.  Co-workers, supervisors, managers, et al, could start giving Glenn the side eye and wondering if they should be concerned about his mental competency as well.  

Glenn's been on this show for years - if his colleagues are aware/watch they know exactly what's going on 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I think Whitney's concern for her parents is like everything else in her life. She does what brings her the most attention to herself. Having an adult conversation with her parents where she asks or suggests that maybe moving toward more 1st floor living could be a good idea doesn't make her the center of the universe. Making loud, disrespectful, obnoxious demands of her parents makes her the center of the issue and in her mind highlights her "concern" and control of the situation. In her mind that elevates her to 'amazing daughter', when in reality it makes her look like a self-centered brat. 

To be clear, I do think she loves and cares about her parents. But just like all the other people in her life, she can't approach the relationship with any thought to the other person. Her actions reflect that. Like her birthday wishes to people - It's never just about them. It's always in terms of her. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 16

I used to watch this show with a glass or two of wine. Now I realize my boxed CabSauv is too good to waste on this. So I watched while on my spin bike this morning, and let me say, it (this Toxic Cow show) was highly motivating.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I don’t know. 75 and multiple falls, I’d be pushing for the downstairs bedroom as well. Sometimes the suggestion is better received from a professional rather than family. My parents were soooo stubborn and it did get out of hand. Once you break a hip it’s over. I also told my father in law, do YOU want to make these decisions, now, or wait until someone has to make them for you? Right now they have plenty of options to set up aging-in-place. When a crisis happens your choices are limited. I don’t have kids so I plan to be VERY proactive about my golden years. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

She sounded pathetic talking about her "boyfriend", who by the way sounded utterly uninterested and bored when they were on the phone.  "How wild can I be?"  tee hee,  He doesn't give a crap Whitney.  He's not into you. 

OK, I admit that I haven't been paying much attention, but isn't their relationship student and tutor, or was it a dating site they're on?

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If she acts this way now what is she going to do when her parents are even older?  She acts 5 years away from trying to put them in a freaking nursing home!!  Seriously, she needs a reality check about understanding older people.  First of all, she has no right to push anything on them.  They are adults and unless they are mentally compromised by dementia or Alzheimer's the law assumes that they are fully capable to make their own decisions.  Even if she has power of attorney to handle their affairs that would only be allowed in the event that they are deemed unable to handle them themselves.  And Babs and Glenn are nowhere near being in that category!!

She insults her parents by acting this way, plus she is probably more compromised herself in terms of taking care of herself than they are.  She is only a few years away from really strting to feel some of the affects of aging herself and at her weight and with how she has abused her joints and her body overall she is going to feel much older than she is plus be at even more risk for hurting herself!

But old folks (of which I am one) also can be very good at denial - and as my PCP once told me in terms of how people are physically when they get older, "Everybody's different."

I think many older people wouldn't stop driving unless they were forced to. It's a terrible loss of independence, but you have to weigh that against posing a road danger.

Heck, I still think I'm 27 -- until I look in the mirror.

Edited by JeanJean
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8