Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Dave has an aerospace degree but pursued a different occupation, and doesn't introduce or describe himself as an aerospace engineer. Hmmmmmm!

Who would do something like that?!

I was trying to figure out his tattoos...

I liked Carrie's story about Ken responding to her fan letter.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 8

No FJ joy for me.  Since Chicago was obviously much larger than 90K, I decided I must be missing something but the Great Lakes had to be red herrings.  I went with Salt Lake City.  Unfortunately their population is twice as large as Duluth's and the Great Salt Lake is only the sixth largest in the country, after...guess which.  I loved taking World Geography but it turns out I should've spent a little more time domestically!

I wonder whether I'd've gotten away with a cheeky "who is the Virgin Queen" if I wasn't sure of her name!  The other clue that got my attention was Under Armour.  I don't have much use for athletic apparel lately, but the founder went to my high school and has been generous to them among many other institutions.  It's been nice to see them make it big.

I like Dave plenty so I'm happy to see him go on but I really enjoyed Carrie.  I think perhaps she reminded me of someone?  I'm sure everyone who goes on the show is happy to be there, but I thought she really showed it!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
Just now, ams1001 said:

my nephew in law, for one.   He is doing something else totally unrelated and never worked as an aerospace engineer.  it did help him get his first job, but only because some skills were transferable.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

No FJ joy for me.  Since Chicago was obviously much larger than 90K, I decided I must be missing something but the Great Lakes had to be red herrings.  I went with Salt Lake City.  Unfortunately their population is twice as large as Duluth's and the Great Salt Lake is only the sixth largest in the country, after...guess which.  I loved taking World Geography but it turns out I should've spent a little more time domestically!

I thought Duluth was obvious, but spent a day there every summer as a child.   4th largest city in Minnesota.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like when a contestant crosses his or her arms during the game?  Just me?  Am I crazy?

I wouldn't say I like or dislike it, but it certainly sticks out to me because we so seldom see it!  Usually that posture means something negative so I'm not surprised it might strike you that way.  But I guess he tried a few things and that's what worked for him!

14 minutes ago, badgerwoman said:

I thought Duluth was obvious, but spent a day there every summer as a child.   4th largest city in Minnesota.

I've never been to Minnesota and know little about it.  I have always lived and traveled on one coast or the other, which is of course no excuse not to know more about other areas in our country.  I note today's contestants were also all billed as from CA or FL.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6

63% / 53% / 57%

Another great start to the week...I ran nothing (missed only one book and one smell, though), got only one DD and no FJ.

No, Ken, Geography is not a "favorite" (I only got one). 

My TSes were Indian Ocean, Sanford, penny ante meridiem, Deborah.

"Longest-running mohawk champion in Jeopardy history." 😄 I wonder if all the outfits he brought with him are purple...and will he last long enough that we might see a different color?

16 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I like Dave plenty so I'm happy to see him go on but I really enjoyed Carrie.  I think perhaps she reminded me of someone?  

She reminds me a bit of a friend of a friend...

My sister's name is Deborah so that one was easy for me, actually I only missed Adam in that category probably because I misheard the clue and thought they needed one of Adam's sons. Did not get Duluth but I knew the lake was Superior (I also guessed Green Bay)

I don't think I mind it much when Mayim is hosting but having Ken back just felt like such a relief!

Was that a neon shirt?

• Love 5

I said Green Bay.  Fun fact, when I was in college they had this thing called winter term which was 3 weeks long and required and you took some stupid class that wasn't offered any time and besides the credit count didn't help you at all towards graduation. I took The Great Lakes and got a C.

I got the missed clues of Indian Ocean, penny ante meridiam (sp?), Benjamin, Deborah, and Adele.

I got the entire category of Old Testament names right.

I knew it was Lake Superior, and I knew it must be some place in Minnesota, but I couldn't come up with Duluth. I knew it wasn't Green Bay.  Green Bay's on Lake Michigan.

Just now, possibilities said:

Isn't Chicago the biggest city on a lake in the Midwest? It's got more than 90,000 people, so I knew it wasn't what they wanted, but still....

They wanted the biggest city on the biggest lake.

I did manage the TS of Ring of Fire, Indian Ocean, oxbow lake, and Sanford. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Isn't Chicago the biggest city on a lake in the Midwest? 

Yes, but it isn't on the biggest lake in the Midwest. Chicago's on Lake Michigan. You needed to go to Lake Superior, otherwise known as that Big Lake Gitche Gumee.

FJ was an instaget for me, a Midwesterner with good friends in Duluth. Huzzah!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Dave has an aerospace degree but pursued a different occupation, and doesn't introduce or describe himself as an aerospace engineer. Hmmmmmm!

Obviously not Mayim Bialik. I give major credit to Dave for not having the need to blow his horn about his degree to make himself feel important. You know, like "someone" else does.

Loved his rolled-up sleeves to show his tats. Love his hair. Dave rocks.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like when a contestant crosses his or her arms during the game?

Just me?  Am I crazy?

Heh. Dave's crossed arms bug me too, but, hey, it's Dave!
And I guess it helps him with the clicker.

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I knew it was Lake Superior, and I knew it must be some place in Minnesota, but I couldn't come up with Duluth. I knew it wasn't Green Bay.  Green Bay's on Lake Michigan.

They wanted the biggest city on the biggest lake.

I did manage the TS of Ring of Fire, Indian Ocean, oxbow lake, and Sanford. 

Do we get half credit for knowing Lake Superior? 
I also knew Ring of Fire and Indian Ocean–—surprised Dave didn't. So now I'm just hoping he lasts for 5 games.

I didn't know oxbow, and I don't do well in general with "STUPID ANSWERS" categories.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

You needed to go to Lake Superior, otherwise known as that Big Lake Gitche Gumee.

FJ was an instaget for me, a Midwesterner with good friends in Duluth. Huzzah!

Good job! Too bad The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald didn't mention Duluth. I was running through the lyrics in my head trying to remember if a city name was there.

ETA: The last verse mentions Detroit, so that was my guess.

I did know Indian Ocean, Sanford, penny ante meridiem, Benjamin, and Deborah. I remembered a church in Virginia, where I lived for eight years, posting the title of the upcoming Sunday sermon as "Judge Debbie." 

Fun fact: Sanford and Son was based on a British series called Steptoe and Son. No one knew what to call the American series until Redd Foxx, aka John Elroy Sanford, suggested his own name.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3

I was going the correct direction on FJ, I knew it was lake Superior. But for the life of me couldn't think of a city on it in the US. I was starting to think it was going to have to be a Canadian city. So I went with Thunder Bay. But it actually to big... oh well. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Fun fact: Sanford and Son was based on a British series called Steptoe and Son. No one knew what to call the American series until Redd Foxx, aka John Elroy Sanford, suggested his own name.

Thanks for that!  I knew the name was changed but not why.  In timely news, Beryl Vertue, the writers' agent who negotiated the sale of "Steptoe" and the British predecessor to "All in the Family" to the American market, passed away Saturday.

19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess we can assume they’ve been cleared by Legal for possible copyright (trademark?) issues. 

I'm curious about this.  After Amy said she couldn't show her Ozma tattoo for copyright reasons, it occurred to me that the character might well be in the public domain by now.  Re-reading her comment, it seemed she was actually talking about the artist's copyright. I have neither tattoos nor a deep understanding of IP law, but it surprised me to think someone could get anything inked on their own bodies without retaining full discretion about when and how to display it.  I wondered what the tattoos we could see depict, but I couldn't really make them out.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I'm curious about this.  After Amy said she couldn't show her Ozma tattoo for copyright reasons, it occurred to me that the character might well be in the public domain by now.  Re-reading her comment, it seemed she was actually talking about the artist's copyright. I have neither tattoos nor a deep understanding of IP law, but it surprised me to think someone could get anything inked on their own bodies without retaining full discretion about when and how to display it.  I wondered what the tattoos we could see depict, but I couldn't really make them out.

Yeah, I wonder if at least in part Dave is baring his forearms in solidarity with Amy? 

3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like when a contestant crosses his or her arms during the game?

It's an odd thing to enjoy, I know, but I always do like when contestants stand with arms crossed like that, as I am certain if I ever experimented with buzzer holding positions that would be my best as well.

I cannot believe there was no guess on the Redd Foxx clue, given the  category and the examples of all its previous clues – it had to be either Foxx or Sanford, pick one!  (Okay, or Redd, as pointed out below, but still - pick one!  And start with Sanford, the one of the three most likely to be a last name)  Maybe at $1000 early in the game, they were each waiting for someone else to do it so they could swoop in with the other answer if the first contestant picked the wrong one.

I had high hopes of running the first round, since I got everything in the first four categories they went through, but then I missed one in slogans and finished off the round by stinking up novels, missing three.

In DJ, I only ran potpourri and history, but I did well despite missing three in Old Testament names; other than that, I missed two each in science and Latin (loved that category - as I always do Before & Afters - when I could figure them out, and got frustrated when I knew one and couldn’t get to the other), and one in lyrics (Johnny Gilbert was a hoot, so I loved that category, too, but I’ve never heard the Frank Ocean song).

I didn’t know FJ, though.  I rattled off a couple of cities on Lake Superior I knew it wasn’t, but never got to one I thought it was.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
Just now, Bastet said:

I cannot believe there was no guess on the Red Foxx clue, given the  category and the examples of all its previous clues – it had to be either Foxx or Sanford, pick one!  Maybe at $1000 early in the game, they were each waiting for someone else to do it so they could swoop in with the other answer if the first contestant picked the wrong one.

I thought I had it all figured out: it had to be Redd! ;) 

2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I thought I had it all figured out: it had to be Redd! ;) 

Good point that Redd was another potential stupid answer, so I've edited my post, but I'm still surprised no one tossed out a guess.  Sanford was the one of the three most likely to be a last name, so I'd have started there.  Like I said, given the stage of the game at which that clue was revealed, I think no one wanted to be first and risk the $1000, but it being that stage of the game is exactly why I would have gone ahead and guessed, since I had a one in three chance.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Good point that Redd was another potential stupid answer, so I've edited my post, but I'm still surprised no one tossed out a guess.  Sanford was the one of the three most likely to be a last name, so I'd have started there.  Like I said, given the stage of the game at which that clue was revealed, I think no one wanted to be first and risk the $1000, but it being that stage of the game is exactly why I would have gone ahead and guessed, since I had a one in three chance.

You're certainly not wrong!  I just found it funny that I was so sure I'd risen above their trickery.  It wouldn't be either of the obvious ones.  Well, actually....

• Love 2

I got Duluth.  I knew it was Lake Superior, and that’s the only US city of that size on the lake. 

ETA:  I really like Dave. Funny, but tonight I barely noticed his hair.  I just like his personality, the way he plays the game, and his outfits are great. (I always liked vests).

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, badgerwoman said:

I got Duluth right away too.  (I love Duluth too--in fact, I love the ruggedness of Lake Superior in general.) I think Carrie kind of knew it was Lake Superior but she couldn't think of a city on the water.  Minneapolis is both not on a Great Lake and much bigger than 90,000.

I have to admit that it tickled me, for some reason, that 2 people guessed Green Bay.  I don't know why.

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Who would do something like that?

Probably because he's smart and thought he needed to get a marketable degree.  But he realized his passion was in writing and I guess is managing to make a living out of it?

I thought the show was a lot of fun today.  Ken was back.  I loved the categories of "Stupid Answers" and Gilbert reading lyrics.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

Someday, I'm going to get my body-clock re-set and I won't fall asleep during WoF & wake up for FJ.  I got Duluth. There was ANOTHER Bible category?

Re: Crossed arms - some people, when they stand still for a while, just don't know what to do with their arms. There was a kid in our neighborhood like that. It didn't bug me that he crossed his arms, but he stuck his hands way up into his armpits. THAT bothered me. But as someone mentioned above, Dave's probably found that's how his clicker handling works best for him.

• Love 4

Ahhh… Ken is back and all is right with the world. (Jeopardy world, anyway.)

My first thought for FJ was Salt Lake City, which I’m sure was influenced by Ken’s presence. I quickly realized that wasn’t right, thought Great Lakes, then Lake Superior, which led me to… Minneapolis?? (Geography is not my strong suit.)

The Stupid Answers category has always bothered me. I know they think it’s fun, but I find it a waste of a category. 

There was a long running champ who used to keep his arms crossed the entire game, and looked very comfortable holding the buzzer that way. I just can’t remember who it was. Anyone?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The Stupid Answers category has always bothered me. I know they think it’s fun, but I find it a waste of a category.

Me too! But at least Ken and Mayim don't drag out the word "stooo-pid" in a funny voice like Alex always did, so that's something 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Instaget FJ!  I’m from Chicago, know that Superior is the largest GL, lived for a year in Minneapolis so am familiar with Duluth.  Re Dave.  Did he say his degree was aerospace ENGINEERING, or aerospace science?  Cuz to me they are not the same.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

There was a long running champ who used to keep his arms crossed the entire game, and looked very comfortable holding the buzzer that way. I just can’t remember who it was. Anyone?

I don't remember his name, but I know who you're talking about.  I think he said that he also got some criticism for it, but he found it the most natural and comfortable way to work the buzzer.

I also often tend to stand with my arms crossed, and it really, really, REALLY irritates me when people make negative judgments based on that.  Seriously?  You're going to judge me based on how I hold my damn arms?  How shallow is that?

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 14

Whew! I am not able to watch the show again.  As I get older I realize that if I don't enjoy a show due to the host or a character then I just won't watch it.  Don't care for Mayim so didn't watch her recent run as host (and haven't watched the college tournament).

Remember the song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?  The ship was sailing from a city near Duluth when she sank in Lake Superior.  For some reason that fact has stuck in my brain for years, but I can't remember the name of a song 5 years ago - lol.

I much prefer Ken as the host, and hope that they choose him.

• Love 5

14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wouldn't say I like or dislike it, but it certainly sticks out to me because we so seldom see it!  Usually that posture means something negative so I'm not surprised it might strike you that way.  But I guess he tried a few things and that's what worked for him!

We instinctively interpret the stance as negative, which bums me out because it is the most comfortable position for me when I'm standing.

14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Did not get Duluth but I knew the lake was Superior (I also guessed Green Bay)

I don't think I mind it much when Mayim is hosting but having Ken back just felt like such a relief!

It was a point for me that I got the right lake, but I didn't come up with the right answer mostly because most of the cities I know in the midwest are much larger than 90,000. My midwestern husband got it right away.

Speaking of my husband, after Ken's introduction to the show, he said "see how smooth and effortless that was?" I agreed, of course.

13 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Loved his rolled-up sleeves to show his tats. Love his hair. Dave rocks.

Don't love his hair, but I like him a lot.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: Crossed arms - some people, when they stand still for a while, just don't know what to do with their arms. There was a kid in our neighborhood like that. It didn't bug me that he crossed his arms, but he stuck his hands way up into his armpits. THAT bothered me. But as someone mentioned above, Dave's probably found that's how his clicker handling works best for him.

I'm short, as are my torso and arms. So when I cross my arms they are pretty much in my armpits. Having short arms, it is a comfortable position for them. I've tried to get clothes with nice pockets - but they are hard to find for dress clothes. (that being said, I do know the stance you're talking about and how it looks on taller people.)

Trying it out, it just seemed to me it's a great way to stabilize the clicker so you hand/arm doesn't get tired.

I had the feeling I did fairly well, but looking at J! I didn't do as well as I thought. I did almost run a couple of categories. Oh well, it's still fun.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Trying it out, it just seemed to me it's a great way to stabilize the clicker so you hand/arm doesn't get tired.

Sometimes I notice players who will kind of hold it way out in front of them and I always wonder "doesn't your arm get tired?" I've also sometimes wondered why when someone hits a daily double everyone puts their clicker down just to pick it up again a few seconds later but maybe their arms just need a rest...

• Love 3

There's no single way to hold the signaling device that will work for everyone.  One of the things that takes some getting used to is finding the best way to hold it that works for you and lets you buzz in as fast as possible.  That's one reason they have everybody play in the practice round before the actual games start, to help people get used to the device.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Just me?  Am I crazy?

I was waiting for him to pull his hands out and smell his fingers a la Mary Katherine Gallagher.

• LOL 6

I am a proud Duluthian and am thrilled with FJ. 

Great city although the 90k estimate is a bit high but we'll take it. If you've never been here or never heard of it, come for a visit. Spring and Fall are great times for us 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I also often tend to stand with my arms crossed, and it really, really, REALLY irritates me when people make negative judgments based on that.  Seriously?  You're going to judge me based on how I hold my damn arms?  How shallow is that?

Thanks for this. It made me laugh. Because yes, people are that judgmental and shallow. If you don't look, dress and act exactly as they do, there's something obviously wrong with you.

Funny if Dave thinks everyone who doesn't wear a Mohawk 'do and have tats is a loser. Well, so far that's right, at least on Jeopardy!

Also got a laugh that Monday's FJ was also distantly related to one of the J writers' favorite topics, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Re Dave.  Did he say his degree was aerospace ENGINEERING, or aerospace science?  Cuz to me they are not the same.

He didn't say what his degree was in - Ken did. Ken said (paraphrasing) - you have a degree in aerospace but never used it. No additional description of the degree was given.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We instinctively interpret the stance as negative, which bums me out because it is the most comfortable position for me when I'm standing.

If you believe the body language experts, it's a protective stance.  So, it actually makes sense that a nervous Jeopardy contestant would adopt that stance.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Did not get Duluth but I knew the lake was Superior (I also guessed Green Bay)

Green Bay's on Lake Michigan - it's that large projecting part on the western side of the lake.  I answered Duluth since I knew it's the most inland port on the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway system, but I had no idea what the population was!  

Since I'm a Pittsburgher, I remembered that Duluth is the port where they ship the iron ore, mined in the Iron Range of Minnesota.  This was back when we were still making a whole lot more steel than we are now!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

83% / 60% / 70%

Pretty good first round.. Ran Chapter of It Begins and 6 Letter Verbs, missed two prisons and one each in the other three categories. Got the DD and TSes The Jungle, Louis XVI, exhume, and Les Mis.

Not so good in the second round; only ran Human Body and missed one each in States and Tools, two Vowels, three Mascara-ed Men, and five UN Resolutions. Got one DD and the missed clues of A (from scratch), solar plexus (DD), Massachusetts, and red blood cells.

No FJ. Never read any Hemingway...I'll blame it on that.

Both rounds had at least one clue that could have been in another category (Les Mis was in A Chapter of it Begins... but could have been in Tony Winning Musicals by Song, and "lymph" was in It's The Only Vowel but could have been in The Human Body).

• Love 2