Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said Big Bird, but I figured it was probably wrong. I was unaware that Big Bird had an age and figure dit would be some human cartoon character. But, not Charlie Brown because he had to read War and peace and I refuse to beleive a teacher could be so cruel to a 6 year old.  I don't know Daniel Tiger is.

I got the missed clues of McClellan, A&F, grammar and satyr.

I got the entire categories of Lincoln and author right. I also got both the minus questions right, but with only 2 clues, doesn't seem right to call that a full sweep.

I had another goodnight.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh man, Jeopardy!, you got me on this one. Surely I know long running tv characters!  Simpsons? Not enough seasons. Some soap opera I haven’t watched? Nope. Sesame Street never crossed my mind!

I thought of Gunsmoke or Law and Order at first but when the clue was revealed I squealed Big Bird. My Muppet love came in handy.

• Love 6

Argh! I'm having painful flashbacks to my time on Jeopardy! My Final Jeopardy had the same solution as the first Daily Double in Double Jeopardy tonight. 

FJ for January 16, 2019: 

In 1790 Thursday October Christian became the first child whose birth was recorded on this remote island

The Daily Double tonight:

Point Christian & Bounty Bay are features of this South Pacific island territory

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Thank you, Big Bird, for keeping me from being shut out this week.  Yes, I know it's only Thursday, but given my blanks so far, I don't have high hopes for tomorrow's game. 

I am 0 for 4 so far this week. I already know what I'm bringing to the virtual buffet table. (Hint: It's dessert and it involves pudding and poor grammar (or spelling, at least).)

• Love 4

The proof of the pudding is in the pudding made me chuckle.  Obviously Matt is one of the many who's only heard the expression "the proof is in the pudding" but after he rang in he clearly fully registered the clue and realized that couldn't be it, but didn't have anything else to say.

That being a TS gave me time to remember the original expression, which I know but don't have at the ready.  I ran that category, along with jazz, and only missed one each in desserts and Lincoln, and two each in the rest of the first round.

In DJ, I could not get my brain working quickly enough in the British category; I knew all of them, but could only spit out two of them in time.  Frustrating.  I also missed two each in hard, For, and elements. 

First thought for FJ (knowing it couldn't be anything with real people and jumping to animation):  "One of the Simpson kids?  Oh, wait - 50 years.  It only seems like that it's been on that long."

I couldn't think of an animated show that had been on that long, finally switched from drawings to puppets, and immediately twigged to Sesame Street, but ran out of time before I could think of a character that young.  If you asked me how old Big Bird is, I would have no idea, so I don't know that I'd have settled on him as my guess even with more time.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know Daniel Tiger is.

Daniel Striped Tiger was one of my favorite residents of the Land of Make-Believe on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Big Bird made the news in early November after announcing he'd been vaccinated. The 5-12 age group had just become eligible, so Big Bird's age came up in a lot of the media coverage. This episode's tape date was Dec. 13 according to J-Archive.

Edited by dcalley
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Daniel Striped Tiger was one of my favorite residents of the Land of Make-Believe on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Apparently (I just learned this) there is a recent animated spinoff called "Daniel Tiger's Neighorhood."  This does not feature the original Daniel Striped Tiger, but his son, who is also named Daniel.  And also the children of various other Neighborhood of Make-Believe characters.  The animation is done by the same folks who did "Blue's Clues."

I got Big Bird with no problem.  I'm old enough to remember when Elmo debuted, so I knew that he wasn't that old.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Doris Kearns Goodwin was on The Late Show last night, too.

And wearing the same dress. I noticed because I liked the dress (and we'd watched our recording of Colbert a few hours before Jeopardy).

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm even older, so that I really don't know that much about Sesame Street as a viewer.

Sesame Street came to mind, but Elmo wouldn't get out of it. I knew that was wrong, because my kids were watching SS at the time. I may be an outlier, but I did not warm up to Elmo.

I had a pretty good game. Came close on a few categories. Reverse Ran Britain - which shouldn't have happened because I've crossed the border from Spain to Gibraltar (granted, it was open then).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm old enough to remember when Elmo debuted, so I knew that he wasn't that old.

Same -- and even if Elmo had the tenure, I would have ruled him out because his baby talk seems younger than 6. I wasted some time considering Ernie and Bert before a vague recollection that Big Bird's specific age had been in the news at some point made me settle on him (even though I didn't recall whether it was definitely 6.5).

• Love 2

I wish I'd seen the publicity around Big Bird's shot!  That's a very clever "in" to the clue.

I thought I could rule out Bert and Ernie because they are roommates, not children living in a family home.  Who knows whether such logic would hold on Sesame Street, but it worked out for me in this case.

I thought I recalled them going to work also, but the Internet disagrees with me.  I wonder if I'll remember why I asked Google "do bert and ernie have jobs" when I see that in autocomplete later. It sounds so accusatory!

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can't abide Elmo.  

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

nobody over the age of 10 can.

I'm with you, although I did warm up to him a bit recently: Elmo’s Unhinged Rant About a Pet Rock Resonates With the Exasperated (NY Times)

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I wonder if I'll remember why I asked Google "do bert and ernie have jobs" when I see that in autocomplete later. It sounds so accusatory!

This is hilarious! And I do love your logic that Bert and Ernie must be adults because they're roommates.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I'm with you, although I did warm up to him a bit recently: Elmo’s Unhinged Rant About a Pet Rock Resonates With the Exasperated (NY Times)

This is hilarious! And I do love your logic that Bert and Ernie must be adults because they're roommates.

I can't stand Elmo because I feel like he took over Sesame Street. I don't think Bert and Ernie are adults I always thought of them as brothers. I imagine Bert is the older brother.

• Love 3

That was an exciting game.  I was rooting lightly for the returning champ because Moraga is a cute town near here, but I couldn't cheer for him or the third place finisher because Powell and Rumsfeld were such terrible guesses for "which Secretary of State was a spokesman for Vietnam vets against the war."  (At least Powell was actually SoS, though!)

Wikipedia (yes, I know, but this article is fine) has a fairly concise rundown of the 1990 Conservative Party leadership race. I've found the story fascinating since I learned about it. The first candidate to stand in opposition to Thatcher was a "stalking horse": Major stepped up in the second ballot after Thatcher, having fallen just short of the required majority, withdrew her candidacy.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

70% / 60% / 66%

I stuck The Landing and also ran Chemistry Lab, and got my one and only FJ of the week!

Got the missed clues of gas station, death warmed over, crucible, and mortar & pestle (DD).

Matt's answer for FJ gave me a good laugh (and after watching Elmo ranting about a rock preceded by Titanic with a Cat, I've had a few good laughs tonight).

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I got FJ.  Whoo-hoo.  

I got the missed clues of gas station, John Alden, something that looks like wave over but I don't remember that, crucible and mortar and pestle.

i said syphillis instead of shingles.  I also said Like Chocolate for  Water mixed around.  Sigh.

• Love 2

I will reiterate, thank goodness for Big Bird, as I did not get FJ tonight, either.  I loved Matt's response, though.

I got a lot of TS, including Generation X, Like Water For Chocolate, gas station, Martin Short, John Alden, warmed over, crucible, and mortar and pestle.

1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I don't think Bert and Ernie are adults I always thought of them as brothers.

I think of them as adults, especially Bert.  He seems quite mature.  But I do not think of them as brothers.

• Love 3

I didn’t keep track, but I feel like I knew pretty much every TS (and didn’t know pretty much every one they got correct).

I also thought the “ding dong hose” was a dead giveaway for a gas station, then I had to think about when was the last time I actually drove over a ding-dong hose. Okay, I guess I’m old. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I was shocked but pleased to run Chemistry.  I did poorly in that subject in school but always enjoyed the labs.  That's a subject I would enjoy taking an adult education course in when I have more time.

Not as well in State Quarters, though.  I remember being an avid collector when I was 7 or 8, so excited about all the different coins and bills I'd find in life.  Now I use cash maybe 3 or 4 times a month at divey bars / restaurants and always round a tip up so I don't have to carry coins.  That change seemed to happen awful fast.

A few TS surprised me. Few gas stations have driveway signal bells anymore, but I've seen them often in TV and movies (including contemporary ones set in the past, not just "old" ones). And what else do you pull into right off the highway? Yes, I know there are a few other things, but come on!

• Love 4

The new champ had that intensity I've noticed in the long-run champs. 
I've realized over this week that I don't care so much how long a champion stays on the show; I just prefer when FJ is not a runaway. 

9 minutes ago, Driad said:

The far side of moon is not the dark side. Haven't the judges ever looked at the moon?

Ooo! Right! So my "dark side" would have been wrong?

2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I also thought the “ding dong hose” was a dead giveaway for a gas station, then I had to think about when was the last time I actually drove over a ding-dong hose. Okay, I guess I’m old.

TSs I also knew mostly because I'm old were:

• Like Water For Chocolate
    –—although don't have to be old for this one

• Gas Station
    –—ding! ding! followed by a perky attendant to wash the windshield while he pumped your $2 of gas when Dad (born in 1923) took us "out for a Saturday drive"

• warmed over
    –—Mom, born in 1928, often used "look/feel like death warmed over"

• button down [collar]
    –—another oldster instaget

• mortar & pestle
    –—in the 70s my glass-blower neighbor made me a mortar and pestle to grind my oil paints when we were squatting in our art studios to save money during the recession
    –—didn't have to be old for that one, but it didn't hurt

• crucible
    –—not an oldster answer either (I don't think?) and I'm guessing it was a TS because it was $2K and they didn't want to risk it?
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I also thought the “ding dong hose” was a dead giveaway for a gas station,

I thought they were asking for the specific name/brand of gas station if they did too that's probably why they didn't ring in. Just gas station seemed to easy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

was rooting lightly for the returning champ because Moraga is a cute town near here

I was rooting for him because I loved the colour of his sweater today. But duller- sweater-guy whose name I have not retained pulled it out so good for him. 

• Love 4

I didn't keep track tonight, but I think I did fairly well.  I was pretty terrible in the literature category (although, unlike the contestants, I got Generation X; I was a bit surprised by that TS) and only knew one game (kicking' it old school with Asteroids), but those were my only blown categories.

I can't believe no one got death warmed over!

• Love 1

There's a lot of discussion on Reddit about the clue "This 1991 novel by Canadian Douglas Coupland gave a name to a whole cohort born around the same time" ("Generation X").  Several folks believe it is badly written because it suggests that the cohort in question was born around 1991.  I see their point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

(although, unlike the contestants, I got Generation X; I was a bit surprised by that TS)

I watched The Chase the other night (I don't usually) and was surprised that Ken got this wrong:

If you were born in 1970 you’d be considered part of which demographic: Gen Z, Gen X or Boomer? (He said Boomer.)

4 hours ago, dcalley said:

If you were born in 1970 you’d be considered part of which demographic: Gen Z, Gen X or Boomer? (He said Boomer.)

That is surprising.  maybe people keep saying "OK, boomer" to him, so he's gotten confused:)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Driad said:

The far side of moon is not the dark side. Haven't the judges ever looked at the moon?

The two phrases have been synonyms for as long as I can remember.  Searching "dark side of the moon" on wikipedia redirects to "far side of the moon" (or the Pink Floyd album).  How are they not the same?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

How are they not the same?

When we on Earth see a full moon, the near side is bright and the far side is dark.  When we see a new moon (a narrow crescent), the near side is mostly dark and the far side is mostly bright.  More info.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I got mortar and pestle for culinary reasons, not lab reasons.

I got it just based on the description of what it's used for and it being a "pair" of tools.

8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

There's a lot of discussion on Reddit about the clue "This 1991 novel by Canadian Douglas Coupland gave a name to a whole cohort born around the same time" ("Generation X").  Several folks believe it is badly written because it suggests that the cohort in question was born around 1991.  I see their point.

I agree; the year threw me off, too. I didn't get it, partly because I don't know the book but also because I am (late) Gen X and I was in high school in 1991. (I also said Millennial but that didn't really make sense, either.)

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I've realized over this week that I don't care so much how long a champion stays on the show; I just prefer when FJ is not a runaway.

I think it's a combination for me.  The average runaway game is fine, and unless I don't particularly like the contestant I'm fine with a long run, but if I have to watch 2-3 weeks of games where Final Jeopardy is moot, I really lose interest.  Like many (most) viewers, I watch mostly to see how many questions I can answer, but it is also a game show so I want some competition.  I turned off a lot of Matt and Amy's games before Final Jeopardy even came on, especially if it wasn't one of my stronger subjects.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I just saw a comment by the new champ himself:

ThaCarterXXIX
Carter Lockwood 2022 Feb 18-

I saw "generation", "1991" and "born around the same time" and basically read "born around the same time [of 1991]" rather than "born around the same time [as each other]".

Sometimes when you get lazy and go with the first thing that comes to mind without taking a second to actually think about it, you get burned!

I read it the same way he did, initially. Wasn't until I saw your comment that I reread it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I just saw a comment by the new champ himself:

I read it the same way he did, initially. Wasn't until I saw your comment that I reread it.

Well, he's certainly a good sport.  But IMO, when the contestants have about 5 seconds to parse each clue, such potential for misunderstanding should be avoided.  A bit of intentional misdirection is one thing if it requires the contestants to remember the category, for instance, rather than giving some otherwise obvious answer.  This clue strikes me more as a bit of sloppy phrasing than that.

• Love 6

since "boom" had to do with the baby boom after WWII, I always thought that 20 years was a heck of a boom!

It sure is. Having been born in the early 60s, I consider myself too young to be a Boomer. My Dad served in Korea, not WWII. Those who were born right after WWII have different cultural touchstones than I do. This is something that's never really caught on, but this is what those born in the late 50s/early 60s are, IMO -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones

I am not a Boomer! This is a hill I will die on!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I was born in 1964, and I am a Boomer!  I absolutely identify more with Boomer things, but that could be because I have older siblings, and grew up surrounded by their Boomer touchstones.  I suspect if I'd been the oldest child, I might feel differently.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3