Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The class TS was unexepected; I suspect they forgot the category (since it was the first clue selected in that one). 

I couldn't think of "class" - I kept saying, "It begins with a 'C' " - because Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Am I the only one bothered by the pronounciation of Rose of "Sharon"?  To me Sharon will always be one of those girls dancing around their handbags on the floor.

Isn't that the normal pronunciation? My grandma had amazing flower gardens, and Rose of Sharon, pronounced as it was, was in her garden. I have no idea what your reference is from.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I couldn't think of "class" - I kept saying, "It begins with a 'C' " - because Kids Play Catch Over Farmer Green's Shed.

Surely you mean "Kim Put Candy On Fred's Green Suit." 😀

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yet is still on daily in syndication - on two channels - and gets referenced in pop culture (and, in a surprise victory but speaking to its ongoing popularity, got voted as the GOAT in the Primetimer Awards).

Few of the young people I know (including my kids) watch TV anymore - they tend to stream shows (and not usually old sitcoms from way back when - when I watched them).

15 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I knew Annie Wilkes but couldn't come up with Uriah Heep (and I've even seen the band in concert!)  I kept getting stuck on Bill Sykes, but he's a bad guy in Oliver Twist.

I didn't know Uriah Heep, but I knew it wasn't Sykes - Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol are the only Dickens works I am solid on. I've read most of them, but the others didn't stick.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew it was Juliette Low - I couldn't think of the "Gordon" to save my life. But I wondered if I would have gotten it if I weren't so fond of the Trefoil cookies.  Love me some shortbread!

I immediately knew it was Girl Scouts, and knew the woman had three names. But despite having been in the scouts (multiple times, I moved and quit a lot), and my kids having been in them, I could not come up with it.

11 hours ago, j5cochran said:

In my game, I knew it was that island where the Bounty crew ended up after they mutinied and dumped Captain Bligh in his little boat, but I couldn't for the life of me remember Pitcairn!

After reading about the second mutiny against Bligh in Australia (in which he was actually doing the right thing, as I recall), Pitcairn was swept from my mind.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think the confusion was with Julia Ward Howe (1819–1910), American poet and author, best known as author of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic"

Which is probably why I came up with "Hodge" LOL.

I had a good game, ran two categories and almost ran a few others, and did not reverse run any of them.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Few of the young people I know (including my kids) watch TV anymore - they tend to stream shows (and not usually old sitcoms from way back when - when I watched them).

True.  As my wife and I often joke, there's a reason that the channels that show old sitcoms are full of commercials for things like reverse mortgages, Medicare Advantage plans, and Life Alert bracelets.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So many names running through my head for FJ. Juliette, Gordon, Baden, Powell… amazingly I was able to settle on Lowe. 

And the professor from Richmond had better have gotten W&M!

As a long time (if long ago) Girl Scout, trefoil took me straight to Juliette Gordon Low.  It is just one of those names that always stuck with me although I did go through the mental conversation of is there an e on the end or not.  I even remember reading a children's biography of her which talked about her losing her hearing in part because a grain of rice tossed on her wedding day lodged in her ear (may be totally folklore but the image always stuck with me). 

I agree if the Richmond professor missed W&M, it would have been bad - actually surprised they didn't all get it from the way I was yelling at the screen. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I disagree some category names can apply to more than one subject. It would be helpful for people playing at home.

Eh, that's on the viewer.  I didn't need an explanation because once the first clue was revealed, the category was obviously about back-up singers.

There wasn't even anything to figure out, as the clues were all self contained -- there was no need to explain in advance "Back Me Up" means that category's clues will be about back-up singers, when all the clues specifically referenced it:
"She sang backup for Garth Brooks ..."
"John Lennon not only co-wrote this Bowie song ... he also sang on it"
"She was a back-up singer for Brenda K. Starr ..."
etc.

Exactly.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think the confusion was with Julia Ward Howe (1819–1910), American poet and author, best known as author of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic"

That's what happened to me.  I knew that wasn't correct, but it came to mind first and got stuck in the way.  The only other thing I could come up with was the Juliet person who founded the Girl Scouts.  Which is technically correct but not what they wanted.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Apache, class, cats, ice and Rose of Sharon (apparently no Grapes of Wrath fans on the show today). 

I got those.  I actually have Rose of Sharon growing next to my shed; it's a very hardy shrub.

13 hours ago, Leeds said:

Am I the only one bothered by the pronounciation of Rose of "Sharon"?  To me Sharon will always be one of those girls dancing around their handbags on the floor.

I've always pronounced the way Ken did, like the girl's name.  How else would it be pronounced?  (I take it you're in the UK somewhere?  The only time I've ever heard/read about women dancing around their handbags was in various British chick lit books.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

After reading about the second mutiny against Bligh in Australia (in which he was actually doing the right thing, as I recall), Pitcairn was swept from my mind.

The man actually had three mutinies against him, but really only the first one had much to do with him personally.  The second was during the Nore Mutiny when several crews of British Navy vessels rose up against their officers, but that was more about the system and not the captains themselves for the most part.  The Rum Rebellion in Australia was actually the third time for Bligh.  The man was a brilliant sailor, but not particularly lucky when it came to command.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I even remember reading a children's biography of her which talked about her losing her hearing in part because a grain of rice tossed on her wedding day lodged in her ear (may be totally folklore but the image always stuck with me). 

Even worse, I read she lost most hearing in one ear due to an infection when she was a young woman, and then the incident you describe on her wedding day affected her other ear!  But I recall reading that she used her deafness to her advantage by pretending not to understand people who had turned down her pitch for donations or volunteering. ;)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

True.  As my wife and I often joke, there's a reason that the channels that show old sitcoms are full of commercials for things like reverse mortgages, Medicare Advantage plans, and Life Alert bracelets.

Just saw one for a catheter the other day. 😆

42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The man actually had three mutinies against him, but really only the first one had much to do with him personally.  The second was during the Nore Mutiny when several crews of British Navy vessels rose up against their officers, but that was more about the system and not the captains themselves for the most part.  The Rum Rebellion in Australia was actually the third time for Bligh.  The man was a brilliant sailor, but not particularly lucky when it came to command.

Ah, thanks for the details. What I remember about the Rum Rebellion (which is vague, and you definitely seem to know more) was that he attempted to stop something to do with his officers and corruption regarding rum - but it's all a blur now).

• Love 1

I knew it was the Girl Scout founder, but I had name confusion. I always get William and Mary because my nephew went there. He is now a Superior Court Judge. Here’s my favorite thing when I did go there. 
30DFBC26-D3D2-4CD8-800B-10BC2811F33D.thumb.jpeg.a962355a13a240cfbe09692dd26c7517.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr
Girl not Firl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I guess "that woman who founded the Girl Scouts" would not have counted. Unfair!

That's all I had too.  I probably have heard her name before but it didn't come to me.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I guess "that woman who founded the Girl Scouts" would not have counted. Unfair!

That's also all I had!

But I did get the TS of Apache, class, principal, cats, ice, screech owl, Resurrection, and warbler.  I was sad that we didn't get to see the final clue in Tweets in DJ.  

Also, agreed that it would have been bad for the guy from Richmond to have missed William and Mary.  Go Tribe!  

• Love 4

That was a rather Alex-esque "genre" from Ken, there…

I ran Carbs…hmm…I think I need to find something for dinner...

My only TS was raisins. Dinner will not include them.

FJ was an instaget.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

FJ was an instaget, but I did NOT know the tiebreaker.

I got the missed cues of horologist, raisins, Equator, Sri Lanka and perfidy.

I said pokey for penitentiary.  I didn't give myself credit, but I feel like it fit.

I got the entire category of animals in the title right.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said pokey for penitentiary.  I didn't give myself credit, but I feel like it fit.

I'd give you credit. The clue was "another word for prison" and the definition of pokey is "prison."

I already forgot what the tiebreaker was but I just checked and it was also an instaget.

• Love 8

That was a good game. Under 5 missed clues. I enjoyed seeing them all have a chance at winning until I saw FJ. That was an easy one. I thought the same about the tie breaker. I got them both. It’s a good thing Christine got the tie breaker correct as I suspect she would have been mad at herself for missing winning by a buck had she not. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 7

I was glad Christine won.  I really like organ music, so that was my silly reason to root for her.  She gave more correct answers than Henry so it seemed "right" for her to win the tiebreaker in the end.

15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s a good thing Christine got the tie breaker correct as I suspect she would have been mad at herself for missing winning by a buck had she not. 

She said on another forum that she had carefully considered her wager and spent the time (much longer in real life than as shown) between the Final clue and the tiebreaker beating herself up for forgetting to add the $1.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Arghh! Am I the only one who forgot the category and the wording of the clue and very confidently came up with “Death of a Salesman“?

Me too!!!!
I did realize at the last second that they wanted a character and blurted out Willy Loman. I spent most of the time wondering if it was a bit too early for Death of a Salesman, as well as being annoyed because I hated Death of a Salesman, but couldn't think of anything else and it is my go-to guess.

The only characters whose names I can recall are Willy and Biff Loman though, so it's a good thing the questions aren't typically more detailed!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Arghh! Am I the only one who forgot the category and the wording of the clue and very confidently came up with “Death of a Salesman“?

I avoided that trap tonight.  Last time I fell in it, I realized what a ridiculous lie my whole life has been!  ;)

• LOL 7

I got such a strong sense of déjà vu that I actually looked to see if my dvr had recorded today's game and it wasn't a rerun. I think I've been watching too many game shows on the the Game Show Network and I've been binging the Chase. Yesterday there were 3 clues that had just been on an episode of the Chase that I watched. The CIA one which was practically word for word, the one about Captain Cook and the 100 Years of Solitude by Marquez. 

I'm not sure what triggered it today but it was very strong.

• Love 3

Russia invaded Ukraine about halfway through the game, so I checked the archive for the rest.

I thought "nature's candy" was more well known; maybe not anymore?  (I disagree, as I call them a crime against grapes.)

I only ran carbs, music, and brooms in the first round, but almost ran highways and horse.  Not even close in animal titles, though; I missed three.

In DJ, I only ran 1905, but I almost ran all the rest, just missing one each, so that was a great round.

FJ was an instaget, as was the tie-breaker, so I had a great game, which was a nice yet brief distraction from how many casualties and refugees there are going to be.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Who won? Russia or Ukraine?  Hmmm....but in Jeopardy, the winner was the young woman who was a Cancer Survivor..

Thanks!  Christine was the cancer survivor.

Looks like Henry had deja vu.  Just like when he was a youngster he lost again the third time on Jeopardy as an oldster.

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I thought "nature's candy" was more well known; maybe not anymore?  (I disagree, as I call them a crime against grapes.)

I'm in my late 20s and vaguely recognized the term if not the specific campaign mentioned.  I think I've seen an assortment of fruits and nuts under the brand name "Nature's Candy" so that confused me a little."

I do think "Molly Ringwald failed to warn us about raisins" may be a sentence that had never been spoken before and will never be again.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I do think "Molly Ringwald failed to warn us about raisins" may be a sentence that had never been spoken before and will never be again.

The commercial 

Edited by opus
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, opus said:

The commercial 

Thank you! Even before she was on “Facts of Life,” it looks like. It’s an interesting pitch, and it did make me check the pantry to see if I had any, but I do think kids can tell between candy and raisins. ;)

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I said grapes! I kick myself. It's like I knew, but....

I said grapes, too! Although raisins are grapes, just a bit shriveled, so…

10 hours ago, ABay said:

I’ll give it to you, if you let me have “A Salesman Who Died” for today’s FJ. For some reason, his name would not come to me. 

I really hate the new tiebreaker rule. It would suck to have a winning score and then lose by a fraction of a second. I thought it was much more fair when both players got to come back and fight it out the next day.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I really hate the new tiebreaker rule. It would suck to have a winning score and then lose by a fraction of a second. I thought it was much more fair when both players got to come back and fight it out the next day.

I prefer the old system, too, but the tiebreaker isn't new; it has been around for six years now.  It just doesn't get invoked very often, same as the old one.  So, since ties hardly ever happen, period, I don't particularly care what happens when they do.  If I had a vote, I'd cast for the old let them both live to fight another day procedure, but I don't terribly object to the sudden death alternative even though it's basically one last test of buzzer timing.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

See, I learned this one as "Kinky People Come Over for Great Sex."

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We got Willy Loman before the question.  Jeopardy loves that play.

In fairness to the show, I don't think there are that many plays (apart from Shakespeare's) which are part of people's general knowledge, unless they're theater buffs. I'll never forget being asked by a professor at a theater conference if I know how A Streetcar Named Desire ends. I thought he was being sarcastic, but he genuinely didn't know. I thought of him during the professors' tournament, when people were underwhelmed by many of the profs' performance.

@Prevailing Wind--the other son's name was Happy. It's OK that you forgot him; Willy often forgot about him too.

10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed cues of horologist, raisins, Equator, Sri Lanka and perfidy.

I wasn't sure what they were going for on the Equator clue, but I did know the others. I remember the "Nature's Candy" campaign, along with "The California Raisins" singing "I Heard it through the Grapevine." All you raisin haters, pass me your raisins! I eat them sparingly nowadays because of the sugar, but I never understood the dislike of them.

I don't mind the tiebreaker, but I did like the old way better. I'm sad we'll never have moments like this again: 

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We got Willy Loman before the question.  Jeopardy loves that play.

The sad thing is Death of a Salesman entered my mind, but then I overthought the whole thing and didn't come up with anything. Sigh...

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget, but I did NOT know the tiebreaker.

Darn, a special report interrupted Jeopardy and I did not know there was a tie breaker. It would have been very interesting. I went back to J! Archive and scrolled further - it was an instaget.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, yeah, the tiebreaker was an instaget for me, too.  "In Flanders fields...."

"In Flanders fields" is about all I remember from that poem, but since I watch Graham Norton, I knew poppy because they wear them at the right time.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Russia invaded Ukraine about halfway through the game, so I checked the archive for the rest.

Same here.

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I totally forgot they did that. As a general philosophy, I prefer the come back and fight it out, but I guess I didn't care enough to even remember that they did that.

I did pretty well, I almost ran a number of categories, did well in several others. No FJ though, darned overthinking brain!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

RE tiebreakers, I prefer the old way too.  I recall reading that, shortly before the change, it was felt that some contestants were betting for the tie more often than in the past.  Arthur Chu did this at least 2 or 3 times.  The show does not want to have to pay cash winnings to more than 1 contestant.  A tie also resulted in 1 fewer contestant slot available, which meant the show had to fly people back to California for a second taping (and 1 less chance for the people applying regularly).  Thus, although it never seemed to me that ties happened all that often in actuality anyway, the change was made.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thanks!  It seems wrong for them not to have any raisins at all.

• Useful 5

Ugh.

50% / 60% / 54%

I ran Inner Ear and That 70s Show and I apparently know nothing about Lousiana parishes.

Guess I shouldn't feel too bad about my score...There were 9 missed clues in the first round and 11 in the second, including all the DDs. I got 1876, Madame CJ Walker, hulls, bulkhead, and The Jeffersons.

• Love 3

I'm from the DC suburbs and was curious to know which establishments Anne owns. One is Nanny O'Briens, a pub in Cleveland Park. I read that name and was instantly brought back to our special trips to the zoo. We never went in there (Mom probably would've loved it without three kids in tow) but it was on the walk between the subway station and the zoo gates, and I can picture it perfectly. I still love animals, cities, and transit, but I was surprised I remembered that little detail! It definitely brought a smile to my face, and my mother's when I mentioned it, to be reminded of those times, so cheers to Anne for that.

• Love 7

I can't believe I missed FJ tonight.  I just couldn't get my brain engaged, but I knew it would be so obvious after I saw the correct response.  Indeed, it was.  I said the Flintstones, but knew it was so incredibly, horribly wrong wrong wrong.

The only TS I got were ethics, on an even keel, bulkhead, and The Jeffersons.

And we got another genre from Ken!

• Love 2

I said the Bumsteads for FJ.

I got the missed clues of ethics, 1876, 1916, Edgar Allen Poe, Maria Teresa, even keel, and The Jeffersons.

I got the entire categories of inner ear and '70s TV right.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

Just to be cute, I said "Checking In" for Marla Gibbs.  That spinoff, with Florence as the housekeeper at a fancy hotel, lasted only 4 episodes in April 1981.  After it failed, Florence reappeared on "The Jeffersons" and it was said the hotel had burned down.  You know the show was a stinker when they had to kill it with fire.

I know nobody's come here to read my memoirs, but I had another fun recollection from Hatshepsut, who I first learned about from a Carmen Sandiego video game.  I think VILE's henchmen stole the Book of the Dead and I had to get it back with the help of ACME's operative Ann Tickwittee.  Kids today don't know what they're missing. ;)

They were definitely tough boards tonight for me as well as the contestants.  I thought Judiciary / Judicial Committee was just a bit evil to include, but fair's fair, Lucian picked the wrong one.  A win from the "fourth podium" would definitely have been possible today, for someone, but not for me the way I was playing.

• Love 5