Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was a few minutes late tuning in, and the first response I heard was Kelsey's "What's (Catherine) O'Hara?" so I feared she'd taken up Matt's style.  It took until the N.K. Jemison clue for her to ring in on another clue about a person, at which point she used "Who is", so I could rest easy.

The jihads TS surprised me a bit; even I got that one!

I ran conferences, countries, Canadians, and gin/rummy in the first round and only missed one each in the other two, so I was off to a good start.

I had a great DJ round, too.  I ran royal - which was quite surprising, and I owe some of it to the Royals thread here on PTV (and the rolling my eyes as I say it guess of "dorgis"; I can't with people afraid of "mixed breed" or, heaven forfend, "mutt") - where, letter, and weather songs.  But the ones I didn't run, I was pretty bad in; I missed three each in books and E.R.

FJ was an instaguess (with another eye roll; I join those who don't understand the beatification given the facts) that I felt pretty sure was correct.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I answered “Mrs Basil E. Frankenwater.” So I’m not sure if I would have chanced ringing in or not.

I always, always call her Mrs. Basil E. Funkweiler. I even looked it up after the answer I was so sure I was right. All these years.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I loved this book so much that I'm dragging the conversation back a day. A few years ago, my niece and I did a two person road trip (she was 10) and listened to it in Audible. Four years she still loves it too, although she has stopped telling me I'm exactly like Claudia! Growing up in Idaho, I never thought I'd be able to go there, but it's on our bucket list for our next trip which will be to NYC.

I just looked up the book to buy. I’d never heard of it or read it, but all of you have piqued my interest. I saw there are a few titles. Could someone please tell me which one I should be checking out?    **said in a very small voice**

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just looked up the book to buy. I’d never heard of it or read it, but all of you have piqued my interest. I saw there are a few titles. Could someone please tell me which one I should be checking out?    **said in a very small voice**

I think there’s only one? Maybe you’re looking at different editions. It’s by E.L. Konigsburg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I think there’s only one? Maybe you’re looking at different editions. It’s by E.L. Konigsburg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler

Yes, that's the only book I know of.  It was also filmed twice, once with Ingrid Bergman and once with Lauren Bacall, so maybe that accounts for extra titles showing up in a search.  The cover showing a sketch of the museum with the two children at the bottom, with the title written over a red banner, is the one I remember, but I don't think the novel was ever revised.  I checked our library system and they have 11 copies out now from different branches!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I also think the laugh track is being overused. 

It's to fill the dead air and an attempt to make viewers think Mayim is "all that" as a comedic actor dontchaknow.

What I did find funny: Mayim's outfit. 

Kudos to you for being able to look at her long enough for her outfit to register on your brain.

Totally caught the shout out to @30 Helens. Way to go girl!

No one should be penalized for whatever they call a half Corgi half Dachshund. It's not a breed. Since the Queen has Pembrokes, it could be called a Pemhund or Corghund or Dachbroke. The player who answered half Corgi half Dachshund should have been ruled correct. Because there is no correct answer when something doesn't exist.

Drinking game: Take a drink when Mayim's heart is going "pitter patter" from "such a great game." You'd get to tip two today.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I got the $2,000 stumper of gar.  Shows up frequently in crossword puzzles.

I don't do crossword puzzles, I think I've just read a lot of books set in the south, or maybe heard it from my southern family. But I was pleased to get it.

13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

One more thing before I press the shut-the-hell-up button on myself: I thought it was exceedingly generous to give Kelsey a chance to BMS on Crusades. That term nearly universally refers to holy wars of the Middle Ages. Meanwhile, nearly every scholar calls what Umar Tal was involved with jihad. I certainly couldn’t find any who had called it Crusades. It was clear she just heard “holy wars” and thought she’d try it. The judges should have just marked that one wrong and moved on.

That was my thought too, but then I checked Merriam Webster, and "crusade" is the 3rd definition - though I have never, ever, heard anyone refer to Jihad in that way.

I had a pretty decent game, I nearly ran Languages, Canadians, and Songs about the Weather.  I got Jihad and Kensington.

I said pufferfish instead of blowfish - I looked it up and they are the same (at least in the reference I read). So I'm giving myself that one.

It took me a little to parse the language, but Mother Teresa wasn't too difficult to work out.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't do crossword puzzles, I think I've just read a lot of books set in the south, or maybe heard it from my southern family. But I was pleased to get it.

I got it because the Ologies podcast did a whole episode about the gar a while back.

https://www.alieward.com/ologies/garology

5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said pufferfish instead of blowfish - I looked it up and they are the same (at least in the reference I read). So I'm giving myself that one.

I did the same.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Ditto.

I don't remember getting any ts's but FJ was an instaget, or at least an instaguess and I couldn't think who else it could be.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, PBnJay said:

No one should be penalized for whatever they call a half Corgi half Dachshund. It's not a breed. Since the Queen has Pembrokes, it could be called a Pemhund or Corghund or Dachbroke. The player who answered half Corgi half Dachshund should have been ruled correct. Because there is no correct answer when something doesn't exist.

Someone on reddit pointed out that the category was "The Royal Website" so the response they wanted was whatever they called it on the website (which I will assume was Dorgi but I'm not going to look for it). I guess I can accept that...

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2022 at 7:02 PM, 853fisher said:

I read FJ somewhere and fortunately it stayed in my mind.  I think it might have been get-able anyway.  The San Diego Zoo does seem to be "the" zoo in California. 

I thought of elephants, but did not think of the San Diego Zoo, so I said Redwood CA, probably not a place at all.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:26 PM, dgpolo said:

I thought trees and was totally wrong. On the other hand I got Corfu, at first I thought I wouldn't get that clue but then the name Durrells rang a bell, I didn't watch that show but I remember seeing ads for it when I watched something on PBS.

The Durrells in Corfu was the only reason I got that one.  I'd never heard of Lawrence or Gerald before watching the show.

I thought it was too bad Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was missed.  It was published in 1967 but it seemed to still be pretty popular when I read it in the mid-2000s.  I don't think it was assigned to the whole class but it might have been on a big list or personally recommended by a teacher.  I might read it again now!

I was a little surprised that one was a TS.  I love that book.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:17 PM, 853fisher said:

According to the EP, there will be a "Second Chance Tournament" this year, featuring losing contestants who have appeared since the last Tournament of Champions.

I'm not keen on this idea at all.  Although if they called me to come back, I'd gladly change my mind.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:05 PM, Driad said:

"Second Chance Tournament" -- might they also consider a "sixth chance" tournament for contestants who were required to retire undefeated after five wins?

That, I'd be more interested in.

RE the "Second Chance Tournament," it's an interesting idea I've seen mooted often.  It strikes me as a bit of a stunt or gimmick when I think they should be hunkered down focused on quality control while we're still in a time of transition, but oh well. 

I'm with you on this.  I know the EP said the clues weren't getting easier but I don't believe him.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, PBnJay said:

I'm also irritated with the laugh/applause tracks this show is using now.

Are they doing that, though, or is that actually the audience reacting?

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought they were doing it because they don't have the usual audience...honestly I haven't really noticed it, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

If not entirely artificial, it sounds heavily "sweetened" to me, and much more frequent than I recall in the past.

• Love 6

60% / 60% / 59%

Bleh. The only thing I ran was British English and my only TS was Strauss. Missed one in Movie Occupations and two or three in every other category. Did not get FJ then I felt dumb. 

Who else has I'm Too Sexy stuck in their head, now?

I liked Nick but I had to root for the guy with the purple mohawk color-coordinated with his shirt and tie. So yay.

Dog Puppy GIF

• LOL 13
  • Love 4

Well, this is weird. J! normally airs on the Atlanta NBC affiliate. With the Oly coverage, they've moved J! to the sister station. This evening, I started off with the correct captioning, but somewhere along the line, it changed over to the Olympics closed captions. After every commercial break, the show came back with the J! captioning, but soon segued into Olympics captioning...even through the commercials.

I pre-guessed Vaclav Havel for FJ, but once the clue was read, I knew it was Chekhov. and his gun.

I like Mohawk Man.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I had to focus on the category and the year to come up with FJ.  The phrase included in the clue just confused me until I heard the explanation.  I've heard of that, but that phrase sure didn't bring it to mind.  The year didn't really help, either.  Mostly I just randomly picked an international playwright and got lucky.

I also got the TS of Pecos Bill, swan boats, and cat.  

And then I laughed, because Star Trek, Enterprise, and Chekhov (nuclear wessels!) were all in today's game.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

I read the clue and got a sense, for some reason, it was referring to a punctuation mark.  Therefore I was going to guess EB White, of "The Elements of Style."  But the year made me think, "of course he didn't die in 1904."  Then I reminded myself the category was not just writers but playwrights and got it right away.  Lucky break.

The "I'm Too Sexy" category was cute but I couldn't help but think my culturally conservative parents would not have been pleased to see it when I was watching with them at 7 or 8 years old.  I'm sure it would have gone right over my head but I laugh to think about it.  They did a pretty good job keeping us out of real trouble, and watching game shows instead!

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I read the clue and got a sense, for some reason, it was referring to a punctuation mark.  Therefore I was going to guess EB White, of "The Elements of Style."  But the year made me think, "of course he didn't die in 1904."  Then I reminded myself the category was not just writers but playwrights and got it right away.  Lucky break.

I quickly guessed EB White. The weird FJ music gave me time to realize that he died much later than 1904, but not enough time to get away from commas.

• Love 3

23 hours ago, dcalley said:

There was a @30 Helens shoutout tonight! I hope you didn't miss it!

tumblr_o8gkszif201u52nwvo1_400.gifv

So now I know the reference. No idea before!

I’ve been to Corfe Castle ruins; I couldn’t replace it with Corfu in time for the Durrells of Corfu.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:09 AM, M. Darcy said:

My honest  and immediate reaction when no one knew Mrs Basil E Frankweiler was that all 3 should have been kicked off the show immediately. That’s just a crime not knowing that. 

Guilty here too. I’d never heard of it before. I’ll ask DD if she ever read it, as she started school about 9 years after it was published.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Dave because of his hair (I can be shallow like that), and enjoyed his interview segment, so I was glad he had such a good game -- 30 correct answers (including two DDs) and only one wrong.

I'm disappointed Angela Davis was a TS, and a little surprised no one guessed Attila the Hun (but maybe no one wanted to risk $1000 on a guess halfway through the first round, when they hadn't yet accumulated a lot of money).

These folks clearly did not listen to "I'm Too Sexy" dozens of times back in the day like I did.  I ran that category, ordinal phrases, and movie occupations in the first round, and only missed one in names, but I missed three each in folklore and boats.

In DJ, I only ran British English.  I wasn't terrible in any category, at least; I only missed one in autobiographies and missed two each in the rest.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but it came to me very quickly.

• Love 6

I was going to guess EB White, of "The Elements of Style."

3 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I quickly guessed EB White.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm disappointed Angela Davis was a TS

Me, too. I actually was thinking Assata Shakur, but I think she's still in exile, so I knew it wasn't right. Angela Davis was working her way up my list but then the time ran out.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I quickly guessed EB White. The weird FJ music gave me time to realize that he died much later than 1904, but not enough time to get away from commas.

Writing advice definitely put White into my head but I knew it was too early for White and also ruled him out as not being international. Then I remembered we needed a playwright so from there Chekhov's gun came to me right away. 

It was too easy to interpret writing advice as being about sentences instead of plot.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was surprised they accepted ER in the British category. I believe that they call it ED (emergency department). 

The category was asking for the American names of British things. It’s “Emergency Room (ER)” in the US. ED here is what all the commercials use to refer to “erectile dysfunction.”

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 2
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought of elephants, but did not think of the San Diego Zoo, so I said Redwood CA, probably not a place at all.

There is Redwood City, which probably once had lots of redwoods, but not so much these days.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Who else has I'm Too Sexy stuck in their head, now?

I'd managed to unstick since last night, but now.... 😄

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

These folks clearly did not listen to "I'm Too Sexy" dozens of times back in the day like I did.

I prefer the passive "heard" to the active "listen" when it comes to that song. (among others)

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought chekov was obvious especially to fans of this and similar websights.  Chekovs gun comes up all the time when discussing tv shows. 

I was so ticked off that it didn't even occur to me. Sheesh.

I didn't have a great game, I ran British English, reverse ran Names of the Past, and got some answers, but not as many as usual.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

The category was asking for the American names of British things. It’s “Emergency Room (ER)” in the US. ED here is what all the commercials use to refer to “erectile dysfunction.”

They probably would have accepted both.  I always think of the other use for ED too, but my daughter and her husband are both attending physicians and use the term ED when referencing that department.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

They probably would have accepted both.  I always think of the other use for ED too, but my daughter and her husband are both attending physicians and use the term ED when referencing that department.

I've definitely heard Emergency Department on US shows (pretty sure they call it that on New Amsterdam). ER is probably more common (I know that's what my local hospital calls it), but I also think they would have accepted either for this one.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

From watching various British TV shows, I've been led to believe that the common British term is A&E (short for "Accidents and Emergency").

Being Welsh & therefore British these categories always annoy the fuck out of me because I'm pretty sure that they don't actually ask a British person beforehand and just take something they read as fact.

The M1 would have a hard shoulder not a verge as it's a motorway & a verge would commonly be used for a country lane road. Maybe it was called a verge in the 1950s, who knows.

And yes you are correct about A&E but I remember being sent to emergency when I was learning to be a butcher. 🤪

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

From watching various British TV shows, I've been led to believe that the common British term is A&E (short for "Accidents and Emergency").

I was trying to remember what I'd heard before, because "casualty department" didn't ring a bell, but was easy enough to figure out.

52 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

There's a Tim Minchin song (Lullaby) that references A&E, so I hear it there when it comes up on my ipod. (He's Australian/British.)

11 hours ago, possibilities said:
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm disappointed Angela Davis was a TS

Me, too. I actually was thinking Assata Shakur, but I think she's still in exile, so I knew it wasn't right. Angela Davis was working her way up my list but then the time ran out.

I had that thing where I got the first name, Angela and then blanked on the last name, if it was the other way around it would work, but just Angela wouldn't get me anywhere.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was rooting for Dave because of his hair (I can be shallow like that),

I hate his ridiculous hair (I can be shallow like that) and thought how handsome he would be with normal hair (or bald head,) but I didn't dislike the guy even though I was still cheering for Nick.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, bankerchick said:

I hate his ridiculous hair (I can be shallow like that) and thought how handsome he would be with normal hair (or bald head,) but I didn't dislike the guy even though I was still cheering for Nick.

I like it just because it's different from the usual more conservative-looking J! contestant. 

Somebody on Reddit said he wrote for My Little Pony; there is a Dave Rapp on IMDB with that credit but I couldn't find anything to tell me if it's actually the same person. (The only other credit on the page is Without A Trace. Interesting combination.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I like it just because it's different from the usual more conservative-looking J! contestant. 

Same here.  I don't personally like mohawks, but it totally works for him, and, as you said, fundamentally it was just nice to see something different.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Same here.  I don't personally like mohawks, but it totally works for him, and, as you said, fundamentally it was just nice to see something different.

Part of it is that it was combined with a nice vest/tie combo. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was so ticked off that it didn't even occur to me. Sheesh.

Me too! I was among those who got stuck on punctuation and E.B. White.

I also liked Dave and his purple Mohawk. I hope he sticks around long enough to do other colors. (The story about going pink was charming.)

• Love 5

Dave's Mohawk initially repulsed me –— perhaps because a lot of hair product scents give me headaches and nausea. 
But I was totally charmed by his interview. At first I thought: Wow. Mayim is really good at interviewing "weird" (Dave's self-description) players.
But, upon review, I realized Dave is good at giving interviews: 

20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I read the clue and got a sense, for some reason, it was referring to a punctuation mark.

Yeah, in spite of having referred to "Chekhov's gun" a hundred times on message boards over the past 2 decades (assigning "Chekhov's" as a descriptor to all manner of inanimate fictional objects) I skimmed the clue, pictured a semicolon, and then shrugged. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Dave's Mohawk initially repulsed me –— perhaps because a lot of hair product scents give me headaches and nausea. 

I am forever on a low-key quest for a smoothing product for fine hair that I don't have to smell all day. I don't know why so many hair products seem to need to compete with anything else one might want to wear (or not wear, which is my preference). Dove used to make one I liked, but I bought it twice and then it disappeared.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But I was totally charmed by his interview. At first I thought: Wow. Mayim is really good at interviewing "weird" (Dave's self-description) players.
But, upon review, I realized Dave is good at giving interviews: 

I thought the interviews were pretty good in general last night, but I really liked his.

• Love 4

RE Friday's clue about an animal trainer's autobiography entitled "Hold That Tiger," I enjoyed the reference to an old favorite tune.  The "Tiger Rag" was a #1 hit for the so-called Original Dixie Land Jazz Band, hugely influential in musical circles, although later scholarship indicates they lifted the tune from a New Orleans standard.  It got lyrics somewhere along the way and was a million seller novelty for the Mills Brothers, one of many groups to record it.  I remember my mother singing along to it, so I"m always pleased when it comes up however obliquely.  I guess "Hold That Tiger" must still be more familiar than I would have guessed if it was in the lowest-valued box, perhaps because several schools use it as a fight song, but I wonder how familiar its origin still is.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 2/11/2022 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

These folks clearly did not listen to "I'm Too Sexy" dozens of times back in the day like I did. 

"I'm too sexy for my cat
Too sexy for my cat
Poor pussy, poor pussy cat"

I always try to put the hat in the same verse as the cat because they rhyme.  Even though I've heard the song enough to know better.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, MrAtoz said:

Except on the show "Casualty" I imagine.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2