Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, in 1983 1893 (sorry, typo) it was pretty exotic. And probably for the greater part of the 20th century.

Indeed.  I would have said "hoochie-coochie," actually, which is what I think they were calling it in this country around that time rather than "belly dancing."  Imagine the judges trying to figure that out!

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1
On 2/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, 3 is enough said:

Again with "Single Jeopardy".  No.  You can't just change the terminology after 38 years.  C'mon Mayim! It's the Jeopardy round.

I can't be outraged by the use of "Single Jeopardy" -- I have said it myself and a quick search shows it used in this very forum going back years. The term "Jeopardy round" has always been awkward terminology because it's so generic and you wind up having to overexplain that you don't mean the Double Jeopardy round or the TV series as a whole when you refer to Jeopardy or the Jeopardy round. Personally I think making Single Jeopardy official helps rather than hurts even if it has taken them years to do it. (So there.)

Sara got off to a strong start Friday so I thought Final might be more competitive, but it didn't last long.

I was outraged by the clue "From Latin for "praise", it's a laudatory speech for the departed" since the Latin for praise is laud-. Eulogy is really Greek in origin (eu- for well and log- for speech). I expect more rigour in the clue writing.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Driad said:

The clue referred to a "special consultant," which might have referred to someone whose writings and other work inspired the writers of the show.

I suppose, but I've never heard of a TV show using a dead person as a special consultant that was listed in the credits like that. 

I'd think then they'd say like based on the writings of Bobby fisher, not give him a titke for the show. .

• Love 4
9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I was thinking law firm!

Ha!!

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was outraged by the clue "From Latin for "praise", it's a laudatory speech for the departed" since the Latin for praise is laud-. Eulogy is really Greek in origin

I was so confused by that one! I thought it was just me!!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The Tower of Terror is so much more than just a drop ride -- it's a multi-drop ride, and the drops are not created equally.  It seems like I would hate it, but I really love it.

Tower of Terror is not technically a "drop" ride.  The passenger vehicle doesn't really drop; the elevator is pulling it down at slightly faster than the speed of gravity.  That's what gives the ride its "oomph"--you actually go down faster than if you were free-falling.

That, and the fact that as you say, you go down, then back up, then down again, then up again, several times.  How many times, and how far you fall each time, are randomized.

Disney Attractions is definitely a category I would have bet everything on, even if I'd had a runaway victory! 😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

-you actually go down faster than if you were free-falling.

That, and the fact that as you say, you go down, then back up, then down again, then up again, several times.  How many times, and how far you fall each time, are randomized.

You are describing my worst nightmare.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 2/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, Driad said:

The clue referred to a "special consultant," which might have referred to someone whose writings and other work inspired the writers of the show.

No it wouldn’t have. A consultant is someone they consult with. A dead person would not be credited as a consultant.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I'm unsure "Air Emirates" should have been accepted.  They just call themselves "Emirates" in English, while their Arabic name translates to "Fly Emirates."  I can't find anything official with "Air Emirates," although it seems to get some colloquial use.  Would they have taken Air Lufthansa or Air Alitalia?  Air United or Air Delta?

She got the essential bit, but I think the rules say you're wrong if you add incorrect info.  I really dislike the feeling that there's something to look twice at every few days or so, but I'm not someone who can easily turn that off once I find a reason to be skeptical.  I never felt this way about J! until recently.

I do wonder what a "stay-at-home uncle" is.  Is Lawrence raising his nieces / nephews?  To me, being a nursing student precludes being a "stay-at-home" anything anyway.  So let's hear it.  I'm too nosy to cope when people give an unusual occupation without any explanation!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 9

It was an archive game for me, and I didn't do all that well, but, holy cow, neither did the contestants, especially in the first round, which had a whopping nine TS.  There were another five TS in DJ.

I didn't run a single category in the first round.  I missed one each in half the categories and two each in the other half.  In DJ, I only ran airlines and words, and again alternated between missing one or two in the rest.

I did eventually come up with FJ, but I probably gave myself too much time.

I too had to go look up the history of Emirates, to see if it had at some point been known as Air Emirates, or if its native native can be translated that way.  I found nothing official, but when you type "Air Emirates" into Google, you get a bunch of Air Emirates x, y, z (AE first class, AE flights, AE partners, etc.) results, so maybe it's commonly referred to that way?  I've never heard or seen it before - just Emirates.

• Love 1

Friday shout-out for @teebax! And triple stumper for the contestants! The orchestral bells, aka tubular bells, question in the Jeopardy! round.

Haven’t seen teebax here for awhile, but she was in the Season 35 Teachers Tournament. A delight to watch!

• Love 6

Well, I'm off to a great start this week...🙄

55% / 47% / 50%

I ran nothing. My best categories were Opera Houses and Angels & Demons & Insurance Agents, missed one in each. At least I didn't totally tank anything? Didn't get FJ and felt pretty stupid once I saw the correct response.

My only TSes were soccer balls, Turin (DD), tea (logical guess), and Puck.

I, too, was hoping for an explanation of what "stay-at-home uncle" means, but I enjoyed the conch story. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. (Maybe he he's doing a night-school program?) 

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I too had to go look up the history of Emirates, to see if it had at some point been known as Air Emirates, or if its native native can be translated that way.  I found nothing official, but when you type "Air Emirates" into Google, you get a bunch of Air Emirates x, y, z (AE first class, AE flights, AE partners, etc.) results, so maybe it's commonly referred to that way?  I've never heard or seen it before - just Emirates.

I definitely found some results from travel writers, and on Reddit someone says they asked a Delta employee who regularly refers to it as "Air Emirates" at work.  There is definitely some colloquial currency to it.  (I think Google might reflect a mix of that usage and its algorithmic understanding of what those terms mean, since the silly examples in my post like Air Lufthansa yield similar results.)

So the question then is, where is the line drawn on colloquialisms?  Maybe better than "Air United" or "Air Lufthansa" would be to ask whether the show would accept "Mickey D's" for McDonald's, "WaHo" for Waffle House (gee, I must be hungry), or "Honest Abe" for Lincoln.  I don't know.  Maybe once, then you'd be told to knock it off, or be-more-specific.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

So the question then is, where is the line drawn on colloquialisms?

They've accepted some nicknames before that I found questionable (e.g. "The Mooch" for a clue to which Anthony Scaramucci was the response), so I have no idea if Air Emirates is common parlance they should - for consistency's sake - have accepted.  I just know it raised my eyebrow, since I've never heard Emirates referred to that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Instaget FJ for me, then I second-guessed myself because I didn't know it had been developed that early.  I stuck with my response, though.  I played mostly in the mid-80s to early 90s.  I love that game.

TS I got include Turin, Tibet, before striking, and relative humidity.

I must have heard Air Emirates somewhere else.  It didn't strike me as particularly egregious.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, I'm off to a great start this week...🙄

55% / 47% / 50%

I ran nothing. My best categories were Opera Houses and Angels & Demons & Insurance Agents, missed one in each. At least I didn't totally tank anything? Didn't get FJ and felt pretty stupid once I saw the correct response.

My only TSes were soccer balls, Turin (DD), tea (logical guess), and Puck.

I, too, was hoping for an explanation of what "stay-at-home uncle" means, but I enjoyed the conch story. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. (Maybe he he's doing a night-school program?) 

I thought the questions were tough tonight. I got Westworld and Czech. I knew Trivial Pursuit since I owned the game. Does anyone else think Lawrence looks like Mr. Belvedere?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, kathyk24 said:

I thought the questions were tough tonight. I got Westworld and Czech. I knew Trivial Pursuit since I owned the game. Does anyone else think Lawrence looks like Mr. Belvedere?

He did remind me of someone but I couldn't think of who. It wasn't Mr. Belvedere, though. Something about him makes me feel like he's a fun guy who's trying to be serious. Maybe he's just nervous.

Hmm...

image.png.9442f5b23714d336faf2c196e67efbb0.png

I'm not sure, but I think I only got "close cover before striking" because of Guy Marks' "Loving You Has Made Me Bananas."

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I thought there was an appalling amount of TSs. I'm almost to the point of wishing I were still asleep.

• Love 4

A big OUCH goes to Mayim Bialik for asking the one contestant how old her Aunt Lorna is. Doesn't she know how rude that is, asking any woman her age much less on national television?

Yeah, I guess not.

All three players looked so unhappy at the end, just standing there, no smiles, no clapping, no congratulating the new champ, just three hangdog wet blankets. They sort of looked how I feel about the host.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

El Al is the Israeli airline. I bet the Emirates would plotz if they heard someone mixed them up.

I was liking all the contestants today. That's happening more and more. I don't know if I've changed, or if the casting has changed. I used to find them to be an indistinguishable blur.

I am looking forward to hearing more from Lawrence. I definitely want to know about "stay at home uncle". Also, I loved the color of his jacket.

Way too many TS today (again). I agree some of theclues were really hard, but then some of the TS weren't what I think of as all that obscure (relative humidity).

Adding an L to the end of the name, I was thinking of the end of the name, not the end of the first word of a name. So I struck out entirely. I couldn't think of a single game that ended in L. The closest I could get was Scrabble. But the L wasn't final and I couldn't inagine anyone was thinking of naming a game "Scrabb".

• Love 1

I was sort of jealous of the "full time volunteer" - I know she wasn't doing that currently, but it still would be nice to be able to afford to do for a while.

Got FJ but it was far from an instaget. I just started rattling off board games that I could picture in my parents' old basement.

• Love 2

FJ will be haunting me all night.  I came up with Scrabbel, Boggel, Troubel...all very fruitful trains of thought.

41 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

I'm guessing he babysits his sister's kids and that's as exotic as that gets.

That turns out to be the long and short of it, according to this article.  "He moved back to North Carolina when his niece was born in 2010 so he could help out his sister. Calling himself a 'stay-at-home uncle', he said, 'started as a sort of joke to support and undermine my sister's authority as a parent. I love her, but she used to pull my hair.'"  (He is also an improv comic.)

God help me, I know having strong opinions about how people are introduced on a game show nudges me firmly into curmudgeon territory, but I really think we just need name, location, and occupation.  Sure, a little humorous commentary doesn't kill anyone, but sometimes it feels the show's style is being giggle-fied a bit.  If I go on, should I ask to be called a "single cat father" or "chardonnay quality control inspector"?

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 11
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

If I go on, should I ask to be called a "single cat father"

I've had one involuntary and several voluntary periods of unemployment, during which I referred to myself as a "stay-at-home cat mom".

• Love 15
31 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

If I go on, should I ask to be called a "single cat father" or "chardonnay quality control inspector"?

Both have, I am sure, been used as "occupations" on The Bachelor. So yeah, go for it. Say "Hi" to Mayim for me.

22 minutes ago, DaveA said:

It felt to me like the guy tonight sucked every bit of fun out of the game.  I know there's money involved but it doesn't have to feel like Mortal Combat.

Maybe that's why all three looked like they had just received the death sentence during the closing credits.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Both have, I am sure, been used as "occupations" on The Bachelor. So yeah, go for it. Say "Hi" to Mayim for me.

THAT's what it reminded me of!  Thank you so much.  Maybe that's why it got my dander up.  In return, enjoy Insider's "most ridiculous" Bachelor and Bachelorette job titles. A few of these seem potentially reasonable, not knowing the details of how they actually applied to these individuals.  But the rest, oy vey.  I think "social media participant" is particularly... *chef's kiss*.

• LOL 2

No FJ. 

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Adding an L to the end of the name, I was thinking of the end of the name, not the end of the first word of a name. So I struck out entirely. I couldn't think of a single game that ended in L.

My daughter and I both missed "end of the 1st word." Maybe tomorrow I'll read the entire FJ clue.🙃

TSs were Tibet and before striking. I used to use a lot of matchbooks in the 70s. Candles, incense, joints, etc. 

46 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

according to this article.  "He moved back to North Carolina when his niece was born in 2010 so he could help out his sister. Calling himself a 'stay-at-home uncle', he said, 'started as a sort of joke to support and undermine my sister's authority as a parent. I love her, but she used to pull my hair.'"  (He is also an improv comic.)

My visiting eldest daughter (and not-stay-at-home aunt) also found that article👆 about Lawrence:
(journalnow.com/news/local/jeopardy-has-a-champion-from-east-bend/article_2ccfca60-885d-11ec-b7af-8f37cf85abe6.html) which answered my question about his first-break interview anecdote, when I wondered whether he was trying to be funny or if he was serious when he said "A true conch musician always brings their own shell." That is, there's a reason he's studying something other than comedy at this time.

El Al is the Israeli airline. I bet the Emirates would plotz if they heard someone mixed them up.

😆🤣

I was liking all the contestants today. That's happening more and more. I don't know if I've changed, or if the casting has changed. I used to find them to be an indistinguishable blur.

I liked all the contestants too, perhaps because someone is considering how the 3 will balance each other? IDK. Has that been done in the past?
But I was a bit horrified that none seemed to know Shakespeare or Star Wars (not that I'm an expert on either).
But I was glad it wasn't a runaway.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Both DH and I swear that Lawrence left off "what is..." in one of his responses.  

Yes!  It was in  the photography category and he just said “mother”.  I was just coming here to post about it.

ETA:  Evidently he did phrase it in the form of a question, but I swear on my tv I only heard "mother".  I should not second guess the judges.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Yes!  It was in  the photography category and he just said “mother”.

I just looked up that section of the game on YouTube (since it was an archive night for me), and he said the "What is" on that Migrant Mother clue.  It was a bit soft and muttered (so the YouTube auto-captioning had it as "His mother" rather than "What is mother"), but he said it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I have to admit I did think Mayim was more agreeable (less manic) than usual today.  I wonder if I'll feel the same way tomorrow.  I don't think it was just my good mood talking, because I wasn't in one this afternoon. ;)

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just looked up that section of the game on YouTube (since it was an archive night for me), and he said the "What is" on that Migrant Mother clue.  It was a bit soft and muttered (so the YouTube auto-captioning had it as "His mother" rather than "What is mother"), but he said it.

You beat me to it!  It's a little strangled or something, but he did say it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I have to admit I did think Mayim was more agreeable (less manic) than usual today.  I wonder if I'll feel the same way tomorrow.  I don't think it was just my good mood talking, because I wasn't in one this afternoon. ;)

I even liked her jacket.

• Love 2
On 2/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, MrAtoz said:

Tower of Terror is not technically a "drop" ride.  The passenger vehicle doesn't really drop; the elevator is pulling it down at slightly faster than the speed of gravity.  That's what gives the ride its "oomph"--you actually go down faster than if you were free-falling.

Disney Attractions is definitely a category I would have bet everything on, even if I'd had a runaway victory! 😀

I first rode it pre-internet, so info was pretty basic. After the first drop as we started to go up again a woman screamed, in utter horror, " Oh My God NO!!!!"

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked all the contestants too, perhaps because someone is considering how the 3 will balance each other? IDK. Has that been done in the past?

I'm sure as recently as Amy's run I was reading the description of how they get the set of people for the week's taping and then production draws names to determine who will face the champion in a given game. It's chance.

• Love 3

I have no problem with humorous job titles in this context. I see no harm in it. I like the game to run smoothly, I hate unrevealed clues, and I get frustrated when things go too slowly, but I appreciate when the players are able to insert a second of two of personality into their bios and their stories. 

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, mertensia said:

I first rode it pre-internet, so info was pretty basic. After the first drop as we started to go up again a woman screamed, in utter horror, " Oh My God NO!!!!"

That may have been me…😬

I had a pretty good game today. I was 100% until they hit the opera category, which benched me for a few. I got FJ instantly. I think that was just one those that either comes to you right away, or not at all. Other than just running names of board games through your head, there was not a lot to pull from that clue.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I got FJ instantly. I think that was just one those that either comes to you right away, or not at all. Other than just running names of board games through your head, there was not a lot to pull from that clue.

As a certain kind of boomer, I got a lot of hints from the clue. Board game that came out in 1979 - so maybe that game I played a lot in the early/mid 80s. First word ends with L, but could be a word without the L. The only newish (then) game that fits…. But the “made it “ in the clue kind of made me think there was something I was missing. No, I guess that was extraneous info. Unless there’s some other connection I missed. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He did remind me of someone but I couldn't think of who. It wasn't Mr. Belvedere, though. Something about him makes me feel like he's a fun guy who's trying to be serious. Maybe he's just nervous

I thought he looked like Neil Patrick Harris.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I'm sure as recently as Amy's run I was reading the description of how they get the set of people for the week's taping and then production draws names to determine who will face the champion in a given game. It's chance.

They have to do it that way. Otherwise, they would be breaking the law by trying to 'fix' a match a certain way.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DaveA said:

It felt to me like the guy tonight sucked every bit of fun out of the game.  I know there's money involved but it doesn't have to feel like Mortal Combat.

I didn't feel this at all. He didn't seem any more intense than anyone else.

3 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

They have to do it that way. Otherwise, they would be breaking the law by trying to 'fix' a match a certain way.

True! They don't want anything like the quiz show scandals of the 50's. But people will come up with conspiracy theories anyway.

I knew Westworld, Tibet, air pockets, before striking, tea, and weighty. FJ took a moment's thought, but I did figure it out. 

• Love 3
Just now, GreekGeek said:

True! They don't want anything like the quiz show scandals of the 50's. But people will come up with conspiracy theories anyway.

Oh, definitely. It's so annoying anytime someone goes on a streak and Twitter lights up with claims that they're selecting weak candidates to challenge the champ. 

Me, every single time I see that: It's not how it works! It's not how it works! It's not how it works!!!!

Not to mention, it's fairly impossible to tell how someone will perform once they're actually on set. They might freeze with real cameras on them, they might never get a handle on the signaling device, the categories could end up being dominated by topics that are someone's weak areas. 

And don't get me started on claims that the superchamp 'throws' a game to intentionally lose!!! Gah. No one who gets on the show wants to lose, it's a bucket list accomplishment to even be selected. It's four days a month where they can rake in easy money (if they're a dominating beast of the board). Obviously, the longer someone goes - especially if, like Matt, they had a long commute across country between taping weeks - the more fatigue will be a potential factor. 

I never understand how conspiracy theories can continue to crop up given the laws and competitive nature of people who endeavor to make it to that stage.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, PBnJay said:

A big OUCH goes to Mayim Bialik for asking the one contestant how old her Aunt Lorna is. Doesn't she know how rude that is, asking any woman her age much less on national television?

Yeah, I guess not.

All three players looked so unhappy at the end, just standing there, no smiles, no clapping, no congratulating the new champ, just three hangdog wet blankets. They sort of looked how I feel about the host.

She is just not a good host.

• Love 9