Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: One Day Down, a Lifetime to Go

• Start Topic

I’m trying to count up here but just how many of the castmates have lost parents this season or had parents who were otherwise not involved in their upbringing like Johnny’s father?

I can understand Myrla’s need for the better things in life as a compensation for her impoverished childhood and give her props for her continuing education and achievements but I can’t get past her repellent personality. She’s needs long term therapy and if she is in therapy she needs someone who isn’t just a head nodder. 
I didn’t get a chance to finish the show but I’d bet my last dollar that Zach and Michaela consummate the marriage first. They couldn’t keep their hands off each other. 

• Love 8

Did anyone else notice the brides wedding rings? They all had a wide silver band that look sorta of like men's rings.

I did on a couple of them. They might be platinum. My wedding band is a plain platinum band maybe just a little thinner than the ones I saw and I love it. But I have pretty classic and simple taste, so...

• Love 2
13 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's bordering on unforgivable that the producers didn't tell the DJ or whoever not to announce a father-daughter dance for Michaela.  I wonder if the same thing happened at Myrla's wedding.  Jesus.

The producers definitely set that one up for drama. It did happen on another season but I can't remember which bride. 

They never show father-daughter dances! 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Rightside said:

The producers definitely set that one up for drama. It did happen on another season but I can't remember which bride. 

It happened on the Charlotte season with the basketball player groom whose parents weren't at the wedding (still living, just not at the wedding). The bride's mother stepped in then, and it was another nice, classy moment that shouldn't have needed to happen because they shouldn't have set him up like that. IIRC he was annoyed, and rightfully so. He turned out to be an asshole but he was right to be mad about that.

11 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m trying to count up here but just how many of the castmates have lost parents this season or had parents who were otherwise not involved in their upbringing like Johnny’s father?

At least 4: Myrla, Gil, Michaela, and Johnny. We've seen both of Brett's parents, both of Ryan's parents, and both of Jose's parents plus his stepmother. I don't know that we've seen Rachel's father either but I can't remember if there's a story there. Having this many people who lost parents violently feels intentional. There are a lot of sad back stories this season - those, plus Bao growing up dirt poor and Ryan losing his best friend. I don't remember that from other seasons.

• Love 6

Shades of Tom of the Bus and Go-Getter Lillian.  

They did have sex first night and married...but later divorced. I don't think it was money issues or the bus.

5. Quit making these people say "I got married at first sight because..." It's obvious! They're fuckups in the romance department, and possibly several other departments! Less of that and more explaining who the hell all these random people are and what crucial background info they're dancing around.

That's a mighty broad brush you're using. It's more nuanced than that. I wanted to be on married at first sight...

To be on TV
Promote myself
If I stay married I might do some more TV
15 nanoseconds of fame
I need money
I filled out the application as a lark
Someone filled out an application for me

Obviously none have been successful in the romance department assuming the goal is to find the person to build a life together as husband and wife. Still some are really committed to the process and sincerely want to find the person for them.

3. Quit matching people with spouses they are guaranteed to clash with. I promise it can still be a good show even if you don't purposely troll people's actual hopes and dreams.

It really seems that way this season. How could anyone force themselves to believe a diva like Myrla is going to find love and happiness with a knock around guy like Gil? Nothing wrong with either one of them but totally mismatched. They must know financial issues are a major cause of divorce. If a couple can't agree on money issues they are doomed. How could they not know what we know in just a hour of video?

1. Quit showing the same stuff over and over. We're not newborns. Most of us have very strong object permanence skills.

Life has been doing everything possible to kill a successful show by saturating it, creating numerous spin offs and more commercials than ever. I can only watch with remote in hand or record and watch later.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

It happened on the Charlotte season with the basketball player groom whose parents weren't at the wedding (still living, just not at the wedding). The bride's mother stepped in then, and it was another nice, classy moment that shouldn't have needed to happen because they shouldn't have set him up like that. IIRC he was annoyed, and rightfully so. He turned out to be an asshole but he was right to be mad about that.

Must remember  the part of the contract that says "the producers can do anything they want to you"!

Now it seems that each new season needs to "out drama" the previous season.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Jose's mannerisms are killing me. I have never seen a straight man with that many stereotypically gay affectations. Maybe he really does like women. It is technically possible. I would not bet more than $5 on it.

What bugs me is how the men always want to have sex on the first night, but say they will defer to the woman.  That's how we survive as a species, I guess, but the imbalance is still icky to me.  But to your point, I think it was on Unfiltered where Jose said if his wife wanted to have sex, he would, but said something like because it would be unmanly not to.  Yikes.

7 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

4. SHOW THE FOOD. All their wedding plates were covered by table decorations. We barely saw any brunch. I need to know what they ate!

I noticed a sandwich and fries at one of the brunches.  But what morning was it that the one couple was having room service?  Also, why were some of these brunches served on a coffee table?  It's hard to eat a meal off a coffee table, never mind while under scrutiny by a bunch of strangers. 

6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Once more, with feeling---Their names:

Bao--Johnny.

Myrla (High Maintenance?)--Gil (Bald).

Marla isn't convinced that her ambition, goals, and values are compatible with Gil's vision of his future, so why get romantic?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  😀

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I agree with whoever said it was unforgivable that the DJ asked Michaela to come to the dance floor for the father/daughter first dance, and Zach's dad was a class act for dancing with her. That was a nice moment between them at the brunch when she thanked him for it.

I loved how when he approached her for the dance, he said, "Michaela?" and she said, "Yes sir?" 

2 hours ago, Mocking Bird said:

I don't care for Myrla at all, but her early family life sounds horrific. Myrla's mother was 15 when Myrla was born. Add to that the abject poverty and the terrible murder her father. I don't like it, but I completely understand why her personality is so fucked up.

It's none of my business, but I'm dying to know what happened.  Being murdered by your wife's daughter and her husband?  And the vague mention of them claiming he harassed them or something?  Maybe I'm unconsciously cutting her slack because I'm actually hating her less than when we first met her.

30 minutes ago, Rightside said:

@Empress1 said it happened to the basketball player groom in Charlotte, but didn't it also happen to Mindy the ice skater, whose parents had refused to be part of it? 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

They did have sex first night and married...but later divorced. I don't think it was money issues or the bus.

I suspect Tom and Lily split up because of both money issues AND the bus, meaning they each wanted a lifestyle that was at odds with what the other person wanted. Lily was upwardly mobile and aspired to wealth and Tom was more of a dreamer who wanted to work only when he wanted to and live on a bus. Nothing wrong with either, but ultimately incompatible. See also: Myrla and Gil.

11 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I loved how when he approached her for the dance, he said, "Michaela?" and she said, "Yes sir?" 

And he asked her if she'd like to dance and she replied "Yes sir!" I liked that a lot. He walked over to her very briskly; I imagined someone telling him Michaela's father had died and him being like "OH NO!" and immediately getting up to try to smooth over that situation. He seems like that kind of man.

I also liked when Zach approached the table with Michaela's sisters and said "Hello family!" 

16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

@Empress1 said it happened to the basketball player groom in Charlotte, but didn't it also happen to Mindy the ice skater, whose parents had refused to be part of it? 

I don't remember but it wouldn't surprise me - and that is really fucked up. Once, OK, maybe nobody told the DJ, but three times? That's producer-driven; they're intentionally not telling the DJ. 

(I remember Mindy's parents not taking part because when she dumped Zach, she said she was embarrassed that she'd proved her parents right and I felt so sad for her.)

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What bugs me is how the men always want to have sex on the first night, but say they will defer to the woman.  That's how we survive as a species, I guess, but the imbalance is still icky to me.  But to your point, I think it was on Unfiltered where Jose said if his wife wanted to have sex, he would, but said something like because it would be unmanly not to.  Yikes.

Yes! He has mentioned manliness a few times now. It seems like he's very self-conscious about that concept.

Not very related, but his graffiti-style handwriting on the Fiscal Year 2020-21 Official Budget Home Decor was cracking me up. Nobody does personal finance quite like the Latin Kings.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

And he asked her if she'd like to dance and she replied "Yes sir!" I liked that a lot. He walked over to her very briskly; I imagined someone telling him Michaela's father had died and him being like "OH NO!" and immediately getting up to try to smooth over that situation. He seems like that kind of man.

She looked so small, sitting at that table, until Father Zach came up there, and she brightly snapped out those "Yes sir"s.  About broke my heart. 

Also, I couldn't see Zach, although some of the couples were sitting kind of far apart and maybe he was out of camera range.  But I wonder if he knew at that point that her father had died, but even if not, he had to have known her father wasn't there, and I hope if he did abandon her at the table, it was to go tell his dad to ask her to dance.  Gracious son, gracious father.  That's my dream, and I'm gonna run with it.

50 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

(I remember Mindy's parents not taking part because when she dumped Zach, she said she was embarrassed that she'd proved her parents right and I felt so sad for her.)

Me, too.  I liked her from the beginning, and throughout (I also always thought she was pretty).  And as the "marriage" circled the drain, all I could do was HOPE her parents wouldn't be all "I told you so."  She really did seem to go into it with pure intentions.

• Love 6

First night of the honeymoon and there are already chinks in the armour of each couple's compatibility. I know it's early in the season but my gut tells me the only couple that will make it is Bao and Johnny. They are classy, smart, and seem to really like each other's company. Johnny is a good guy and Bao seems to like and respect him. Same track record as last season. One couple succeeds and the rest fail. One out of five this season too. That's my prediction based on early going.

• Love 6

I think the pairing of Rachel and Jose is a train wreck.  They seem very uncomfortable with each other.  Last week, Rachel blurted out that she told the experts that looks weren’t important to her, implying Jose wasn’t a looker.  And this week, Jose offered to brush Rachel’s teeth, implying that they are yellow and dingy.  If this were their first date, I don’t believe there would be a second.

Myrla needs to slow her roll. She is coming across as a diva and it’s not a good look.  I am guessing her perfect honeymoon locale would be Hawaii, Bora Bora or Paris. 

I can help but wonder if Brett’s rug matches her curtain.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Oh, boy.

Myrla is complaining about the hotel and the view before she even gets to see it in the daylight. 

Johnny likes vanilla sex and said on Unfiltered kissing Bao is like kissing his sister. Uh-oh.

Ryan is not into Brett. Obvious. He thinks he can do better. So what if flying freaks her out. I hate to fly, too. Doesn't mean I don't do it. Brett, take a Xanax and have a drink, it will ease  your anxiety. Get over yourself, Ryan. You're not all that. 

Michaela and Zack- I had the most hope for them. Is he going to turn in to another Chris from last season? She's adorable and bubbly, he did a 180 as soon as they got to the honeymoon.  

Why, why, why are we subjected to these people brushing their teeth together? Jose was trying to talk the entire time he was brushing. Plus he wanted to brush Rachel's teeth, too? I hope that was a joke and he wasn't serious. It sure turned Rachel off. 

Edited by bichonblitz
Tryna get the names right.
  • Love 8
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the trend having either: a small throw rug or hair free so matchy matchy is not a thing..

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Jose's mannerisms are killing me. I have never seen a straight man with that many stereotypically gay affectations. Maybe he really does like women. It is technically possible. I would not bet more than $5 on it. If you don't believe me, re-watch the scene where he gets into bed on the wedding night. Girlfriend is straight-up squeeing.

I need to be able to play Rachel's scenes at 1.5x speed. She takes forever to plod through the most obvious, redundant statements. I'm starting to suspect that master's degree is from a diploma mill. I also enjoyed her family's explanation that she couldn't keep her home or car clean because she was too focused on grad school. I managed to get through my degrees without living in squalor, as did pretty much everyone I knew, but whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

Zack's mouth says "my wife is great, I'm so happy, yay" but his eyes say "kill me now." Has there ever been a couple who slept together on the first or second night and then stayed married? Brett and Bao share a habit of going super negative for no reason. It's hard to watch. Neither is a terrible person but they can be such buzzkills! Myrla may indeed be a terrible person; at the very least, she's a "snob and a half," as an actual rich person in a movie once said. Michaela is redlining emotionally at all times. Ryan appears to be on benzos and his occasional humor does not reach Brett's brain. Gil is either not perceptive at all or choosing to ignore a lot of bad signs. This show really should be called ...And That's Why You Were Single! 

We now know that Johnny ghosted Bao at some point, while she kept his number and texts for years. He says kissing her is like kissing his sister, while she says that kissing him is a good sign about how he would be "as a lover" (puke). She and her catty friends gleefully confirm that she hated the "home and away"-themed wedding gift he was so proud of. He tells her she looks great in the white dress; she responds "yeah." Y'all, hear me out on this: they're not compatible just because they're both Asian

My husband said that when Bao went to breakfast with Johnny's family, the translation on screen was wrong: Bao did not use the honorific term for "auntie." (That would be the term my husband's family uses for his mother, so he definitely would've heard it. It's more like a cross between "auntie" and "HBIC.") Their speech is really accented/tonal, so we wondered if maybe they're from the north, with more Chinese influence and less French. Bao said she would win Johnny's dad over by speaking Vietnamese to him, and if the editing is accurate (LOL), Johnny went along with it. Either he didn't feel like telling her that his dad speaks Mandarin, or his dad also speaks Vietnamese, but they just use Mandarin as their special secret language for some reason.

I continue to be fascinated by this show's refusal to explain shit. They will run the same footage literally 8-12 times in a season, but gloss over or totally skip major plot points. Then the cast has to explain on Unfiltered or social media -- which they often do so horribly that it doesn't even help -- or we just never get an explanation. Here's Johnny crying about how his dad doesn't approve of the wedding again -- that's at least three times now, which I'm sure he is thrilled about -- but God forbid we ever explain what exactly his dad is doing in California, whether his parents divorced or he just took off, and why they don't speak Vietnamese to each other. Did the producers really think no one would notice? I'm not that hung up on this language thing, necessarily. It's just a concrete example of the kind of horrible editing this show gives us every season.

1. Quit showing the same stuff over and over. We're not newborns. Most of us have very strong object permanence skills.

2. Show more stuff. The important stuff. Look into world-building, or narrative arcs, or, like, basic journalism. I'd rather know more about daily lives and less about how they react to stupid/borderline abusive "exercises" from the feckless experts.

3. Quit matching people with spouses they are guaranteed to clash with. I promise it can still be a good show even if you don't purposely troll people's actual hopes and dreams.

4. SHOW THE FOOD. All their wedding plates were covered by table decorations. We barely saw any brunch. I need to know what they ate!

5. Quit making these people say "I got married at first sight because..." It's obvious! They're fuckups in the romance department, and possibly several other departments! Less of that and more explaining who the hell all these random people are and what crucial background info they're dancing around.

I believe all of his grandparents are Chinese.  So he's Vietnamese of Chinese descent 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

And this week, Jose offered to brush Rachel’s teeth, implying that they are yellow and dingy. 

14 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Plus he wanted to brush Rachel's teeth, too? I hope that was a joke and he wasn't serious. It sure turned Rachel off. 

I don't get why people are reading so much into what actually happened. Jose was using his electric toothbrush. Rachel was using a manual brush. She said she has an electric one at home, but doesn't bring hot when traveling. So, Jose (I think jokingly) offered to brush her teeth with the electric brush (which was weird, but he never implied that her teeth were yellow or dingy!). Yes, it turned Rachel off, but I don't believe Jose meant any harm and was trying to be helpful - again, in a weird way and it didn't work. Nothing nefarious here - just an awkward attempt at humor or consideration. 

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

o, Jose (I think jokingly) offered to brush her teeth with the electric brush (which was weird, but he never implied that her teeth were yellow or dingy!).

I never thought he was implying anything about her teeth. The offering to brush them for her was what was weird to me. Like I said, maybe it was a joke but Rachel sure didn't like it. I will stand by my question of why we have to be subjected to these couples brushing their teeth together. Watching them try to talk while seeing spit and foaming toothpaste run out of their mouths is disgusting. 

41 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

She has dark brown roots so I doubt it. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

That makes sense! How do you know this? Not being snotty -- just wondering since the show makes us do our own research.

I can confirm that Johnny’s 4 grandparents came from 4 different areas of China and his Mother, Anh and his estranged father were both born in Vietnam.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Just watched Unfiltered and think that Johnny has a high opinion of himself and may not be taken with Bao.  He mentioned that he's an 'experienced' kisser and believes he kisses well while kissing Bao was like kissing his sister (do people kiss their own sisters/brothers so that they know what kissing their sister/brother is really like?).  It also seemed that he did not find the fact that she kept their years old texts that reinforced her statement that he ghosted her. Jamie asked if it took the commitment of marriage to keep him in a relationship and he pretty much implied (IMO) that if he wasn't married to Bao he would have bailed.

And, like others have mentioned, what was Mykaela wearing under her blazer?

• Love 1

For the life of me, I can’t understand why Gil and Myrna were matched.  Seems to me that Rachel would make a better partner for Gil and Jose for Myrla.  I wonder if they were matched because they both come from a Latin background and had fathers that were murdered.  I find their relationship with money rather interesting.  Robbers broke into Gil’s father’s home, because for whatever reason, they were under the assumption that he had a large sum of money hidden in the house.  In the process, he was murdered.  Gil doesn’t want a lot of money, because he is probably afraid it will make him a target.  Myrla grew up dirt poor. Now that she can afford it, she intends to buy nice things and live well. A lot of people that grew up poor take a different approach.  They are very careful about finances.  They live within their means because they never want to be without again. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I wonder if they were matched because of the traumatic nature of their fathers’ deaths because nothing else makes sense. 

Michaela also has a traumatic loss of her father to a drunk driver.  That's 3 of the 5 women.  Very tragic!

• Love 2

I have been thinking since the first episode that at least two of these couples are terribly mismatched. I think Michaela and Gil should have been matched - their personalities seem more compatible, and they both lost their father. Myrla is a PITA. Her negativity and entitlement are going to sink this. She might be too old for Zach, but at least he has the head of hair that she demanded. 

Ryan seems like a passive aggressive twat. 

Neatnik Jose is not going to be happy about living with someone who he has been advised is a bit of a slob. And I don’t blame him - that has been a total turnoff for me in the past, but I wouldn’t even go beyond a first date. 

I don’t think Jonny is going to get past friend zone with Bao but I hope they do work. 

This show needs to replace the entire crew responsible for these and last season’s matches. Fail. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Not that MAFS is any deeper than a wet spot on hot pavement but this cast (Bao, Johnny, Myrla, Gil, Rachel and Jose) of first generation born of immigrants illustrates how differently adults who grew out of childhood poverty, trauma, abandonment choose to live their lives, after pulling themselves up with education or with Gil, civil service.

Zach’s parents are a doctor and a lawyer.

Info on Michaela’s parents unknown.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Ryan is not into Brett. Obvious. He thinks he can do better.

His track record says, nope! That’s ostensibly why he signed up for this hot mess, but his memory is short. Or short-circuited by his friend’s recent death. Whatever, those two have rung the Gong of Doom, IMO.

• Love 4

Something went on with Jose and Rachel that we didn't see but which changed her from "He's perfect! The experts couldn't have done any better!" to "I need to find out sooner rather than later if this is going to work."

Myrla is a complete diva. I got the impression that the hotel in Florida was probably way nicer than the places Gil normally stays at (and it looked very nice indeed) but for her nothing came up to her standards. Everything out of her mouth was a complaint about something - even the contents of the 'honeymoon kit'.  I could see Gil thinking "Uh oh" when she mentioned that she has tantrums if she doesn't get her own way. 

I like Brett and I thought her conversation with Ryan's family was great, talking about how she wants to be her authentic self. She seems to have a lot of emotional intelligence. But What Happened On The Plane??!! Ryan seems checked out already, but he also seems to have a Beta Male personality, or is just shy, so maybe he'll come around.

I hope Bao and Johnny make it. Of all the couples, they are the best match. But I think what might sink them is a lack of intimacy and them being more in the friendzone than a couple.

Michaela and Zack seem okay for now but she definitely has a crazy vibe about her and I see lots of drama in their future, particularly if Zack stands up to her.

• Love 5

Hate to say it but Brett is kind of a self defeating mess…

Not that any of her foibles alone are deal breakers but it is just head shaker after head shaker that is pointing Ryan down Nope Avenue.

Only 3 days into the marriage and Ryan is slow walking backwards towards the exit.

Ryan with his dead eye thousand yard stare and milque toast, good ol’ boy, golfing frat dude persona still makes him a eligible pot looking for his lid. 
Life is not fair.

He’ll be a good stepdad to a nice divorcée and she will make him Dad when they have their baby to unify the cobbled together family.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, essexjan said:

she mentioned that she has tantrums if she doesn't get her own way. 

If I was looking for the moment I checked out on Myrla …

Dad murdered. Aw, yikes, sorry.

You make and spend a lot of $$ (reportedly saves $ regularly). Good for you.

Intends to maintain her lifestyle, whatever, “husband?” K. Your call.

Tantrums? Oh, hell, no. Get help. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Matty said:

my gut tells me the only couple that will make it is Bao and Johnny. They are classy, smart, and seem to really like each other's company. Johnny is a good guy and Bao seems to like and respect him. 

I hope so, but Unfiltered has me sweating. After the first episode, he flat out called Bao's sports meltdown unattractive and as others have said, compared kissing her to kissing his sister this week, both of which seem like harsh commentary on a current partner. He also had a weirdly condescending and hurtful tangent about how he was an experienced kisser and therefore Bao falsely interpreted his skilled technique (gag) as evidence of romantic sparks he did not feel. Again, he seems a little spiteful. I hope producers are just encouraging him to lay it on thick to throw people off. I love them both and individually, but Johnny's coming off a tad douchey on Unfiltered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Johnny’s 2 Unfiltered appearances have been so disheartening that his fan bench was set ablaze like Burning Man.

Either our chain is being yanked hard or the writing’s on the proverbial wall…and we didn’t even make it through their first full day of the honeymoon.

We drown our sorrows with fudge….as a salute to Johnny’s pillow talk with Bao.

Why fudge?

Wait for it....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I can understand Myrla’s need for the better things in life as a compensation for her impoverished childhood and give her props for her continuing education and achievements but I can’t get past her repellent personality. She’s needs long term therapy and if she is in therapy she needs someone who isn’t just a head nodder. 
I didn’t get a chance to finish the show but I’d bet my last dollar that Zach and Michaela consummate the marriage first. They couldn’t keep their hands off each other. 

3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

She has dark brown roots so I doubt it. 

I can't stop looking at Bretts roots!  I have grown to like her hair coloring on her but those roots!  Yipes!!!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Michaela is wearing revenge under her red hot blazer....

Yes, Zachary, this crocheted top (Zach claims to know how to crochet) barely covering my ta tas  is what you gave up when you turned into a lying low down dirty dog on me...

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Johnny’s 2 Unfiltered appearances have been so disheartening that his fan bench was set ablaze like Burning Man.

Either our chain is being yanked hard or the writing’s on the proverbial wall…and we didn’t even make it through their first full day of the honeymoon.

We drown our sorrows with fudge….as a salute to Johnny’s pillow talk with Bao.

Pass the fudge...and the wine. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

An unfortunate body suit, she looked uncomfortable because she had to sit up very straight because if she slouched it the body suit looked saggy, P.S. she did not sit up straight most of the episode.  It really was bad, she was trying too hard.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Adeejay said:

😂. Her eyebrows don’t match her curtain and that bugs me to no end.  Maybe not bright red eyebrows, but darker would have been better. 

• Love 1
On 8/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, humbleopinion said:

G. Stud- Lucky you found your happy place. Know lots of ex Texans who land on their feet in LA. Spread out like Houston, it is warm but without the humidity and mosquitos. No good Tex Mex food in LA, unfortunately and why the hell not?

Myrla's story line will be that an abused, poor girl grew up into affording and paying for her own Marie Antoinette lifestyle because she can't find her King Louis....

there's no tex-mex in LA because the mex is so fantastic.  I would love to try it though!

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I noticed a sandwich and fries at one of the brunches.  But what morning was it that the one couple was having room service?  Also, why were some of these brunches served on a coffee table?  It's hard to eat a meal off a coffee table, never mind while under scrutiny by a bunch of strangers. 

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  😀

It's none of my business, but I'm dying to know what happened.  Being murdered by your wife's daughter and her husband?  And the vague mention of them claiming he harassed them or something?  Maybe I'm unconsciously cutting her slack because I'm actually hating her less than when we first met her.

Ha! Hoist on my own "Auto-correct" petard! 😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, humbleopinion said:

G. Stud- Lucky you found your happy place. Know lots of ex Texans who land on their feet in LA. Spread out like Houston, it is warm but without the humidity and mosquitos. No good Tex Mex food in LA, unfortunately and why the hell not?

Myrla's story line will be that an abused, poor girl grew up into affording and paying for her own Marie Antoinette lifestyle because she can't find her King Louis....

also can someone explain to me what actually happened with Jose, Rachel and the condoms?  he wanted to take them on the honeymoon and she refused?  I know he is performing his masculinity strenuously but I didn't understand that exchange, especially since he seemed to expect her to take the lead?

Edited by Alexander Pope
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Alexander Pope said:

also can someone explain to me what actually happened with Jose, Rachel and the condoms?  he wanted to take them on the honeymoon and she refused?  I know he is performing his masculinity strenuously but I didn't understand that exchange, especially since he seemed to expect her to take the lead?

I thought Jose said he should bring the condoms and she said she thought they wanted to have kids. When I heard that, I was like, WHAT? You’ve only known each other for a minute and you’re already talking about a honeymoon pregnancy? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I thought Jose said he should bring the condoms and she said she thought they wanted to have kids. When I heard that, I was like, WHAT? You’ve only known each other for a minute and you’re already talking about a honeymoon pregnancy? 

That is what I thought but I honestly couldn't believe that's what I heard.  Thanks!!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, lizajane said:

I have been thinking since the first episode that at least two of these couples are terribly mismatched. I think Michaela and Gil should have been matched - their personalities seem more compatible, and they both lost their father. Myrla is a PITA. Her negativity and entitlement are going to sink this. She might be too old for Zach, but at least he has the head of hair that she demanded. 

Ryan seems like a passive aggressive twat. 

Neatnik Jose is not going to be happy about living with someone who he has been advised is a bit of a slob. And I don’t blame him - that has been a total turnoff for me in the past, but I wouldn’t even go beyond a first date. 

I don’t think Jonny is going to get past friend zone with Bao but I hope they do work. 

This show needs to replace the entire crew responsible for these and last season’s matches. Fail. 

8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Just watched Unfiltered and think that Johnny has a high opinion of himself and may not be taken with Bao.  He mentioned that he's an 'experienced' kisser and believes he kisses well while kissing Bao was like kissing his sister (do people kiss their own sisters/brothers so that they know what kissing their sister/brother is really like?).  It also seemed that he did not find the fact that she kept their years old texts that reinforced her statement that he ghosted her. Jamie asked if it took the commitment of marriage to keep him in a relationship and he pretty much implied (IMO) that if he wasn't married to Bao he would have bailed.

6 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I hope so, but Unfiltered has me sweating. After the first episode, he flat out called Bao's sports meltdown unattractive and as others have said, compared kissing her to kissing his sister this week, both of which seem like harsh commentary on a current partner. He also had a weirdly condescending and hurtful tangent about how he was an experienced kisser and therefore Bao falsely interpreted his skilled technique (gag) as evidence of romantic sparks he did not feel. Again, he seems a little spiteful. I hope producers are just encouraging him to lay it on thick to throw people off. I love them both and individually, but Johnny's coming off a tad douchey on Unfiltered.

I thought J was so nice but from last night’s episode( when he talked about being a serial dater)and what everyone has said about Unfiltered…I am beginning to think he is a bit of a player.

The fact that he ghosted her years ago is not a good sign.

I find her so lovely but it seems like he was not into her then and that has not changed.

• Love 3

So I'm getting the sense that the answer to my Unfiltered question is that it's filmed after DD? Johnny's either playing whatever game the producers asked for or his appearance on Unfiltered is, to borrow a phrase from Norman Mailer, Advertisements For Myself.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, buttersister said:

So I'm getting the sense that the answer to my Unfiltered question is that it's filmed after DD? Johnny's either playing whatever game the producers asked for or his appearance on Unfiltered is, to borrow a phrase from Norman Mailer, Advertisements For Myself.

Johnny graduated with a degree in Advertising….so walks and quacks like a duck…then a duck.

• Love 3
On 8/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, Gator Stud said:

She grew up very poor, so she doesnt understand what rich is.  She thinks it is just material things.  I know someone worth $400M who drives a Prius. She seems like she is buying expensive things to show off to other people. 

Myrla is what some people might call "nouveau riche", as in "someone who has recently acquired wealth, typically those perceived as ostentatious or lacking in good taste" (dictionary definition).  I am trying to have empathy for her that way because her focus on money was born of poverty, but my parents started out very poor and never ended up like her.  Being poor doesn't necessarily mean lacking class, but she does lack it, unfortunately.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m having a hard time buying that Ryan dates hot model types. I don’t find him attractive and he grossed me out going to bed without a shirt especially since Brett was covered up. He doesn’t even have the personality and sense of humor to make up for it. He is so awkward and has this deer in headlights look and I cringed when he was having brunch with her parents. He needs to stop talking about redheads and how they’re either ugly or gorgeous. It’s really offensive and inappropriate to say that to her dad and talk about how great the wedding night was so you’re not giving that up. Brett could do much better. He’s the potato, not the girls he dated. 

I knew a guy that reminds me of Brett - dating like crazy all these "attractive" women (which I never thought were attractive, just that type to be all about makeup, hair - usually blonde, and clothes).  Most of them were in fact potatoes with as little personality as Ryan himself.  Ryan will date just to date.  He's a serial compulsive dater.  Gets physical but there's never any real closeness.  Then he finds something wrong with them and goes on to the next one.  It's amazing how even average looking guys like Ryan can get all these women to date them just because he has a decent job or they sense money somewhere.  Personality and looks take a backseat to that for them.

This guy who reminded me of Brett used to ask me for relationship advice.  He admitted to me that he was compulsive and would date a woman for about a month then dump or ghost her and move on to the next.  He said he knew he had a problem but didn't know what to do about it and wanted my advice.  He too was in his mid 30s at the time.  I didn't want to get involved in that conversation with him.  He never did get married.  He's on social media and even though he has to be about 59 now there's no evidence of a wife.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's bordering on unforgivable that the producers didn't tell the DJ or whoever not to announce a father-daughter dance for Michaela.  I wonder if the same thing happened at Myrla's wedding.  Jesus.

I'm sure the show does it on purpose.  They've done it before in at least two previous seasons, just to create awkward drama.  These people are evil.

16 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Ryan told Brett's parents (Brett looks like her dad) that redheads are either beautiful or ugly and couldn't be bothered to ask any questions about her. Yikes. I'm trying to extend him leeway because he's grieving, but ...

What really got me is that Ryan couldn't be bothered to say that Brett was one of the beautiful redheads.

13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I'm trying to like Myrla and having no success whatsoever. I just don't like her. After Gil told her the horrific story about hearing his father murdered in the next room, she couldn't even stir up an "I'm so sorry that happened to you."

I'm trying to have empathy for both Myrla and Gil for losing their fathers in this horrific way, but the way they talked about it was just a little too much like it's a juicy tidbit they're sharing, not a horrible tragedy.  Neither one of them showed the kind of feeling upon recalling their father's death that I would have expected.  Having lost my Dad under tragic circumstances (Covid) I can't imagine not getting really serious or a little choked up upon recalling the circumstances of his death.  Perhaps this is some sort of coping or defense mechanism, but still, I personally found it a little disturbing.

13 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I know someone else has counted them up, but I already came into this season thinking that this show has always picked an inordinate amount of people with only one parent, either by death or who they didn't grow up with and are estranged from.  It started in season 1 with Jamie O. and I think Jason, who was raised by a single mother.  He also lost his mom during filming.  There are many examples from all seasons.  It has bugged me because I'm old enough to be the parent of one of these people and it just amazes me how many of them have only one parent due to death or estrangement.  It does feel intentional by now.  Either that or maybe more people with this kind of background want to be on the show.

12 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

Life has been doing everything possible to kill a successful show by saturating it, creating numerous spin offs and more commercials than ever. I can only watch with remote in hand or record and watch later.

I don't know what it is about successful shows these days that they want to oversaturate us with them by cloning them and creating spin offs until we are crying out for less and eventually tune out.  Don't they realize they're sabotaging themselves?

10 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I think the pairing of Rachel and Jose is a train wreck.  They seem very uncomfortable with each other.  Last week, Rachel blurted out that she told the experts that looks weren’t important to her, implying Jose wasn’t a looker.  And this week, Jose offered to brush Rachel’s teeth, implying that they are yellow and dingy.  If this were their first date, I don’t believe there would be a second.

My take on the offer to brush her teeth was to show her he wanted to take care of her.  Of course he should have realized that it was icky and not the way to make that point.

2 hours ago, Alexander Pope said:

I don't think Rachel told him to leave the condoms because she wants to get pregnant or she doesn't intend to have sex with him, but because she wants to show him she trusts him because after all, he is her husband so he shouldn't have to wear condoms.  Again, not the best way to get that message across because of all the ways it can be interpreted.  These two both have a case of foot in mouth disease, I think.  Also, he may be her husband but he IS still a stranger so she shouldn't be so sure she won't need the condoms unless the message is that she doesn't want to have sex with him until one day in the indeterminate future when she decides she can really trust him.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I am beginning to think he is a bit of a player.

Bao told us Johnny was a player back in the day. Johnny more or less confirmed this, too. 

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Also, he may be her husband but he IS still a stranger.

Yes. Plus, Rachel's ex cheated on her recently. If anyone should be using condoms until she's able to collect more information, it should be Rachel. 

• Love 10