Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: One Day Down, a Lifetime to Go

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

The texts about them going to a museum together were 4 years old when they ran into each other at a party.

Ok, but even four years seems like a long time to keep texts, especially of someone you claimed ghosted you.  If I were Johnny, I'd have been creeped out that she kept the texts, no matter how long.  

• Useful 1
18 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Didn't Bao say the texts were 10 years old?  Is it normal to save texts that long?  I know I don't.  

I do leave a lot of my texts out there… but I think i would delete a conversation even a year old that had nothing of importance in it.  She would have still had his phone number in her contact list. 

Edited by mythoughtis
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Ok, but even four years seems like a long time to keep texts, especially of someone you claimed ghosted you.  If I were Johnny, I'd have been creeped out that she kept the texts, no matter how long.  

There was no timeline given but Bao was also getting and breaking 3 engagements.

Bao may not be a player but she got 3 guys to propose to her…just saying…

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Didn't Bao say the texts were 10 years old?  Is it normal to save texts that long?  I know I don't.  

On iPhone, you can set it to keep messages for 30 days, 1 year, or "forever." Johnny probably has his set to 1 year and Bao to forever, which seems almost too easy as far as metaphors go.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

on top of that, her brother needs to step back and get out of his sisters personal life and finances.  That’s going to be a serious problem if the brother can’t  get out of the way. 

I get the impression that the "3 Musketeers"  (her bro and 2 others) who are Myrla's "handlers" are not going to accept ANY prospective (or actual) husband (including Gil whom I believe has already checked out on her) as suitable for their beloved "damsel".  There simply could never be anyone who would be good enough for her.

That, coupled with her huge hesitation regarding "body changes" that would have to be surgically repaired (cosmetic surgery) post pregnancy and the fact that the bro specifically stated that Myrla doesn't "need a man" because she is so wealthy and independent, does not auger well for her ever to succeed in having a happy marriage.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

When one of Ryan's peeps told Brett that she would have to draw him out because he was a genuine introvert it made me mad, because his problems communicating and being generally sociable go way beyond being explained solely by introversion.  Being an introvert doesn't mean you can't hold on a decent conversation with people and leave them hanging in awkward moments.  I am an introvert and because of the negative image people generally have of them people who meet me usually don't think I'm an introvert because of how chatty and sociable I am.  They think all introverts are antisocial and painfully shy and awkward.  Meanwhile, most introverts are not like that at all.  The image is so bad that a lot of introverts don't even want to think they're introverts.  My advice to them is get to know what introversion really is.  I have seen this time and time again. 

...Are more introverts like Ryan and have difficulty being sociable or social anxiety?  Perhaps, but it's still not a necessary function or part of being an introvert, but a function of some kind of dysfunction.  

Exactly! Introversion has such a negative rap in our culture, and it's unfair! Sociologists estimate that most populations are about 50/50 introvert/extravert, and that that's normal and healthy. Both types are good and contribute in their own ways. In our culture, the self-reported introverts are much lower because (almost) nobody wants to be thought of as awkward and antisocial. Like Yeah No, I'm an introvert but I'm also outgoing and not very shy. I just need a lot of time to myself to recharge. Extraverts recharge by being around others. (In my cynical opinion, that's because they're sapping it out of us introverts, but don't mind me!)

Ryan may well be an introvert, but as you said, that is not why he's so hard to interact with. This is also another terrible example of these marriages being set up as therapy for one of the spouses, 90% of the time the woman. Brett and Ryan should be equally responsible for trying to get to know each other and make the marriage work if possible. It's really hard to tell with Ryan how much of his personality is shaped by grief (mostly temporary), or how much is due to aloofness, awkwardness, or just not being interested in Brett. Regardless, he needs to try harder and stop bringing up her hair color like it's a personality trait.

• Love 7
On 8/12/2021 at 9:18 AM, Empress1 said:

I don't know that we've seen Rachel's father either but I can't remember if there's a story there.

Rachel's Dad, Leonel walked her down the aisle to Jose.

Her parents divorced when Rachel was a kid, which she blames for her messed relationship track record.

• Love 1

Urban dictionary defines a Potato as...

Person

Over

Thirty

Acting

Twenty one

Sissy may be describing  what she considers a potato but no, not a known colorful Texan term ...

Perhaps she meant to say Ryan usually dated women who were all style but no substance.

Last I looked potatoes weren't beautiful but as we all know...beauty is in the (potato) eye of the beholder.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Lindz said:

Let's hope she's just getting a bitch edit. Although, she is saying bitchy stuff. 😅

I don't think she's a bitch..she likes the finer things in life and is will to work for it. That used to be called the American dream. I bet you there are no children in her near future. They are an impedance to the glam lifestyle. She should stop taking she's high maintenance as an insult. She could say right back I'm not low maintenance like some people.

9 hours ago, Lindz said:

WTF Johnny?! How does he go from saying he'll easily slow down for her to p in v sex?!!! TOO MUCH!!! The editors MUST be effin with us, playing her saying she loves hearing that creepiness after he said all that mess!! 😒😒

I hope vanilla sex includes oral sex....and he's going gaga over her ass.

1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

There was no timeline given but Bao was also getting and breaking 3 engagements.

So we don't know if they were four years old.  Regardless of the timeline it's strange that she kept them and got to throw them in his face years later.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Zack might have Covid.  He said he didn’t feel well.

I think that is what that was leading too.  Very tough decision if she should isolate from him or be his wife in sickness and in health. I could support either decision. Some people do get really sick. I had it and honestly I've had colds that made me feel worse. I still have a loss of scent. Which has its pluses and minuses not everything smells good you know?

• Love 1
On 8/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's bordering on unforgivable that the producers didn't tell the DJ or whoever not to announce a father-daughter dance for Michaela.  I wonder if the same thing happened at Myrla's wedding.  Jesus.

At the reception, her friend told Ryan that she's not a real redhead. 

Why would he even bring up his dumb comment about redheads to her family the next day? It seems odd to me that he would even be cast on a show when he seems to be lacking any personality.  Oh well, this show has cast some strange ones, guys especially.

Edited by endure
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, endure said:

Why would even bring up his dumb comment about red heads to her family the nexr day? It seems odd to me that he would even be cast on a show when he seems to be lacking any personality.  Oh well, this show has cast some strange ones, guys especially.

Call me a softy but I still think he has kind eyes, genuinely likes Brett, and has potential.  He was however very weird with her family and I am hoping it was just editing.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Alexander Pope said:

Call me a softy but I still think he has kind eyes, genuinely likes Brett, and has potential.  He was however very weird with her family and I am hoping it was just editing.

I will also add in my defense that I was right about Greg and Deonna when everyone thought she was cold--I could tell how much she liked him by the way she looked at him!

Edited by Alexander Pope
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Alexander Pope said:

I actually hope it can work too, & maybe it was editing, I had actually missed where he had been told she wasn't really a redhead but I was already taken back when he made the comment to her family, maybe he missed the comment too or was just nervous and couldn't think of anything too talk about.  I find that whole next day family encounter very awkward.

• Love 5

Yes, Bao probably has her texts set to save "forever".  Johnny said that he goes in and deletes old texts manually after "a while".

I save texts "forever" too, and I do the same as Johnny, manually deleting old ones that I don't need anymore.  It's quite possible she just had them on her phone and either forgot they were there, or saved them since they do know each other.  

Either way, I do agree with @Lindz.....great point.  Johnny texted her last, saying something like "Maybe I'll go with you", so technically....it was Bao who ghosted.  Bao could have texted back with some dates...."Hey I'm free Thursday or Saturday, would love to!", which could have given Johnny enough encouragement to text her back with a set date.

Re:  Zack getting sick.  I'd find it hard to believe that the show didn't insist on Rapid Covid testing, at that time, for all involved, including wedding guests.  It's possible we are being played, and while Zack appears ill, it may not be Covid.  But where Michaela still would need to be away from him.  

Either way, we don't see Zack or Michaela in any of the previews at the group events next week.  Michaela could easily attend herself, and just enjoy the time she has, if Zack is truly sick and in bed.  I'm sure he'd want her to have fun.  

But if Zack does turn out to be Covid positive (could have gotten it at the airport, the airplane, etc.), then Michaela would likely need to quarantine too.  If Michaela tests positive, then they could just quarantine in the same room, but if she tests negative, they'd be in separate rooms, making her honeymoon really boring and quite frankly, awful.  Being alone in a hotel room for 10 days, but feeling great, would suck, and I would empathize with her.  

I had Covid over Xmas, and I felt perfectly fine, but I had to isolate the whole time.  I missed all the fun, cancelled hair appointments, lunches with friends, etc.  Spent 2 weeks of my vacation time alone, locked in my house.  So I would understand Michaela's feelings if this is the case.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 2

Ryan's sister said the girls he'd dated were potatoes... They're beautiful, but have no substance... HUH??? WHA??? Is that a Texas saying?? 😅😂

Heard it the other night on Sex & The City. A guy brought Miranda to dinner with friends. They told her they made him bring someone who wasn’t a model, finally—referred to their personalities as potatoes.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Mr. Clark was deceased in 2013.

He was killed upon impact when a drunk driver collided with is Astro van.

The other information may be from a victim with a similar name.

Apologies for the wrong information.

Well, I still want details behind being beaten to death by a drunk driver, even if it wasn't Michaela's father.

• Love 1
(edited)

No deets we’re given other than there was an article that made the allegation that Mr. Clark died at the hands of a drunk driver.

I found his official obit and the local newspaper article reporting his death upon impact when a drunk driver struck his van.

Have to go with the newspaper report and not the one that didn’t cite the source of the beating allegation.

Again apologies for the erroneous earlier information.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1
On 8/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Why does Myrla’s brother have complete visibility of her finances? Is he a financial advisor or CPS? I have a feeling he’s going to be way overly involved in their marriage too. 
I wonder if they were matched because of the traumatic nature of their fathers’ deaths because nothing else makes sense. 

On 8/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, Adeejay said:

For the life of me, I can’t understand why Gil and Myrna were matched.  Seems to me that Rachel would make a better partner for Gil and Jose for Myrla.  I wonder if they were matched because they both come from a Latin background and had fathers that were murdered. ]

They were matched because Myrla has domestic violence in her past and Gil is a gentle person.  Also they both claimed to be very sexual.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:38 PM, sara416 said:

Every season Dr. Viviana talks about how sex is expected on the wedding night, but since this is marriage to a stranger, it is completely their call if they have sex on the wedding night. This bothers me SO MUCH. Sex should always be completely their call. Consent is important and in actuality, many couples don't have sex on their wedding night because they are tired, or too drunk, or whatever. I know it is nit picking, but this phrasing irks me. 

What irks me is that she says it every season.  In exactly the same way, with the same leer on her face.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, Crashcourse said:

I don't delete texts and I bet I have some that are that old 😄

• Love 4
On 8/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, Crashcourse said:

Myrla has a greasy face.

I agree, and your comment just triggered an idea. Myrla was adamant about no foundation on her wedding day (her bridesmaids' makeup was on-point, yet Myrla indicated she didn't want to "look like them"). I'm thinking Myrla translates greasy to youthful and doesn't want the dew mattified by foundation. If that's the case, she might want to re-think that.

• Love 5
On 8/12/2021 at 7:37 AM, Retired at last said:

By the way, WAY too much teeth brushing and bathroom stuff, as usual.

Has anyone else noticed that at least half of these people use electric/sonic toothbrushes improperly? You don't move the handle up and down like a manual toothbrush: let the toothbrush do the work. It's all about staying steady in the quadrants, not frantically flinging the toothbrush around in your mouth. Sheesh. 😆

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 8/13/2021 at 6:56 PM, Lindz said:

Ryan's sister said the girls he'd dated were potatoes... They're beautiful, but have no substance... HUH??? WHA??? Is that a Texas saying?? 😅😂

Potatoes---at least those I've consumed and clearly kept near and dear to me, heh---are plain as day but with plenty of substance! They are the Stereotypical Librarians of the Vegetable World!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, thatsall said:

Has anyone else noticed that at least half of these people use electric/sonic toothbrushes improperly? You don't move the handle up and down like a manual toothbrush: let the toothbrush do the work. It's all about staying steady in the quadrants, not frantically flinging the toothbrush around in your mouth. Sheesh. 😆

Jose opening his bearded maw extra wide to clean his pie hole with thrusting and pulling motions while aerosoling the bathroom with micro droplets of mouth and teeth bacteria was enough to send me screaming from the room...the wet flying spatter...the asking to brush Rachel's teeth with same toothbrush was just too much....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

It so grosses me out to watch people on TV brushing their teeth.  TV shows and movies do this all the time.  Supposed to show "togetherness".  In my entire life, I've literally never once stood at a bathroom sink and brushed my teeth "with" a partner.

And yes, they are using the electric toothbrushes wrong.  Such a pet peeve of mine!  I'm addicted to my Sonicare.  Just move it around your mouth very slowly, and let it do the work.  That's why you paid so much for it, Jose.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, thatsall said:

This drives me nuts. I'm the daughter of a dental hygeinist and she would have a fit if she watched them do this. I've observed this in several seasons. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

It so grosses me out to watch people on TV brushing their teeth.  TV shows and movies do this all the time.  Supposed to show "togetherness".  In my entire life, I've literally never once stood at a bathroom sink and brushed my teeth "with" a partner.

Agreed.  That being said - I do believe Jose was making a joke about brushing her teeth.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, princelina said:

Agreed.  That being said - I do believe Jose was making a joke about brushing her teeth.

Well. Then he took it too far, seeming serious when he asked, "No?" 😅 Hella weird.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, Starlight925 said:

Yes, Bao probably has her texts set to save "forever".  Johnny said that he goes in and deletes old texts manually after "a while".

I save texts "forever" too, and I do the same as Johnny, manually deleting old ones that I don't need anymore.  It's quite possible she just had them on her phone and either forgot they were there, or saved them since they do know each other.

I used to have mine set to delete after a year but changed it to save forever when my father died because I didn't want texts from him to be deleted. (I also have saved and backed up voicemails from him, and those are more precious.) Now I'm like Johnny and go in and delete them manually - and I delete them freely, it's really just the ones from my dad that I want to keep. 

On 8/15/2021 at 12:15 AM, thatsall said:

I agree, and your comment just triggered an idea. Myrla was adamant about no foundation on her wedding day (her bridesmaids' makeup was on-point, yet Myrla indicated she didn't want to "look like them"). I'm thinking Myrla translates greasy to youthful and doesn't want the dew mattified by foundation. If that's the case, she might want to re-think that.

My complexion tends to be oily and I do think an unintended consequence is that I look younger than my age. What got me about Myrla and the foundation is that she has blemishes - no shade, we all have them, but it would stand to reason that someone as vain as Myrla would want her skin to look perfect, and her bare face doesn't. Like, it's odd to me that she does botox but doesn't want to cover minor skin imperfections.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Lindz said:

Well. Then he took it too far, seeming serious when he asked, "No?" 😅 Hella weird.

Ah whatever.  My own personal pet peeve is someone who has to assure everyone "I was just kidding!" seventy billion times after a joke falls flat.  So I'll give Jose a break here 😄

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I used to have mine set to delete after a year but changed it to save forever when my father died because I didn't want texts from him to be deleted. (I also have saved and backed up voicemails from him, and those are more precious.) Now I'm like Johnny and go in and delete them manually - and I delete them freely, it's really just the ones from my dad that I want to keep. 

I did the exact same thing with my voicemails from my dad.  I had 21 voice mails from him, and I emailed them to myself, to make sure I was able to save them.  Guess what....over a month ago, my phone got locked (long story), and I lost every single thing on the phone, had to start from scratch (ouch!).  I was so glad I had saved those VM's.  I'm sure you're glad you have yours too.  Sounds like your dad was precious....mine was too....and I'll forever be grateful that I'll be able to replay his VM's to me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

My complexion tends to be oily and I do think an unintended consequence is that I look younger than my age. What got me about Myrla and the foundation is that she has blemishes - no shade, we all have them, but it would stand to reason that someone as vain as Myrla would want her skin to look perfect, and her bare face doesn't. Like, it's odd to me that she does botox but doesn't want to cover minor skin imperfections.

I think she's had a chemical peel.  Her face has a redness and raw look to it.  I don't know whether you can wear makeup after that, but I would imagine it would feel like you can't.  She also was talking about needing super high SPF sunscreen, which might also be because of a peel.

There was a picture of her posted earlier, when she was a principal.  She looked very young for her age, so young that I thought it was probably a high school picture until someone commented that she was the principal at that time.  I kind of wonder if all the stuff she's had done has made her actually look older.  She certainly does look like a 40-something trying her best to look younger (and failing).

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I did the exact same thing with my voicemails from my dad.  I had 21 voice mails from him, and I emailed them to myself, to make sure I was able to save them.  Guess what....over a month ago, my phone got locked (long story), and I lost every single thing on the phone, had to start from scratch (ouch!).  I was so glad I had saved those VM's.  I'm sure you're glad you have yours too.  Sounds like your dad was precious....mine was too....and I'll forever be grateful that I'll be able to replay his VM's to me.

I have 9 voicemails and I emailed them to myself, saved them to my desktop on my computer, and have them on a thumb drive. I was not fucking around! 

My dad was a good man and a great father. I miss him a lot, every single day; it hasn't been that long since I lost him and sometimes it still feels very raw. Michaela's response to the "something blue" that her sisters gave her, the Starship Enterprise (was that it?), had me emotional - she knew exactly what it was and what it meant. There's stuff of my dad's that gives me the same reaction.

(I seriously love Michaela's sisters. They seem like so much fun to hang out with.)

Just now, Gypsy Blue said:

I think she's had a chemical peel.  Her face has a redness and raw look to it.  I don't know whether you can wear makeup after that, but I would imagine it would feel like you can't.  She also was talking about needing super high SPF sunscreen, which might also be because of a peel.

There was a picture of her posted earlier, when she was a principal.  She looked very young for her age, so young that I thought it was probably a high school picture until someone commented that she was the principal at that time.  I kind of wonder if all the stuff she's had done has made her actually look older.  She certainly does look like a 40-something trying her best to look younger (and failing).

I do think there's a point at which you don't look younger, you look like someone who's had a lot of work done. I guess the challenge is not crossing over to that point.

A chemical peel makes me think of Sex and the City where Samantha had one and her face was all raw and red. I've never had one so I don't know how normal a reaction that is. I use an exfoliating product with AHA & BHA every other night and the label says that if you use it during the day, to make sure you  follow up with a good sunscreen. If Myrla is specifically calling out that she needs extra sunscreen, she's probably had or used something similar (the product I use doesn't say anything about wearing makeup over it though, so I assume you can).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I do think there's a point at which you don't look younger, you look like someone who's had a lot of work done. I guess the challenge is not crossing over to that point.

Definitely!  There's a woman at our pool who fascinates us - she has a great body (boob job), huge false eyelashes, big Lisa Rinna lips, and I'm assuming she's in her mid-thirties because that's how all of her friends look, whereas she's someone you would say "looks good for a forty-something"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 7:51 AM, kristen111 said:

She didn’t even talk about him being a Fireman.  Cops and Fireman have very admiral jobs.  She could at least compliment him on the job.  You have to be a selfless person to do that.  Looks like she’s just interested in monetary things.  Everything is about her.  Shoes, lashes, gowns, etc.

I would disagree with your comment about cops.  I dont see the honor the way many of them behave.  I've had very bad experiences with them and I have an MBA. Not that that should matter.  My dad has as well and he is an Ivy League guy. So I maybe cops used to be an honorable job, but not any longer.  They dont treat certain people the right way.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:51 AM, kristen111 said:

• Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, endure said:

I actually hope it can work too, & maybe it was editing, I had actually missed where he had been told she wasn't really a redhead but I was already taken back when he made the comment to her family, maybe he missed the comment too or was just nervous and couldn't think of anything too talk about.  I find that whole next day family encounter very awkward.

Re watching the episode of Ryan's and Brett's wedding he was very chatty.   It seems as if he shuts down when the conversation seems manufactured by the producers.  Which I don't blame him I'd rather speak freely rather then to be giving a narrative.     

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, mythoughtis said:

I found it terrible that  whomever was in charge of Zack and Michaela’s wedding and honeymoon allowed it to happen.  Zack's friend got positive results  for Covid the morning of the wedding and Zach was obviously exposed and got tested. It was not a rapid test since they are still waiting on the results in the honeymoon hotel. So just how many people  were exposed so far between the wedding, reception. Brunch, flying to the honeymoon and at the hotel? and we do know it was actually exposed rather than potentially because Zach is ill in this episode even before getting his test results. 
Her explosive temper is going to ruin their relationship even though they are physically  attracted to one another. 

Jose and Rachel - jury out on  their  relationship so far. Same with Johnny and Bao.  And I like Johnny and Bao. 

Ryan and Brett- she’s going to get tired of doing ALL the talking, and he’s not really interested in being a couple.  He wasn’t the slightest bit interested in asking her family a thing. 

Gil has already figured out Myrla by the first evening at the resort. He snorted at her claim that she wasn’t high maintenance.   She didn’t have one nice thing to say from the minute she got up that morning. Not one thing was good enough for her. 
on top of that, her brother needs to step back and get out of his sisters personal life and finances.  That’s going to be a serious problem if the brother can’t  get out of the way. 

I kind equated to him wanting to find out things on his on, and not be sticker shocked like the rest of the couples.   When you start a new job you always have that one person wanting to give you tea on everyone in the office.  I rather form my own opinion of people I don't know in time.  In real life you would never start dating someone and meet their family and friends the next day to find out about their character, nor would you want to. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shannew said:

In real life you would never start dating someone and meet their family and friends the next day to find out about their character, nor would you want to. 

I agree!  I think they should go as a couple to meet their family/friends together as a friendly getting-to-know-you exercise.  I have had small engagement parties for family members who get engaged so the families can meet, and we don't sit and grill each other, or spill all of their faults.  Of course we enjoy each other and would probably be boring to tv viewers, so theres that 😄

• Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 7:44 AM, Lindz said:

That was so ridiculous!!! They're STRANGERS!!! I think she meant, "Those don't fit you." 😅😂 & he just left them on the bed! Ew! Seriously?? NO birth control with your STRANGER husband to have babies??? 😫😱

Seriously! Yuck, just the thought of unprotected sex with this stranger is bad.

• Love 1